Type keyword(s) to search

The Great Wife Swap of 2014: The Dark Wife Rises

• Start Topic

Oh, no, actually I wasn't addressing insurance, but someone who said that they were still getting Government aid.  I can't imagine what program that they would qualify for with the show income.  

• Love 1

I'm not convinced Robyn wants to be #1 wife. I think she's still #4, just the legal wife. I think she wants and has wanted to feel like a fixture or a permanent member of the group. It's not that she want to be #1, the favorite of Kody, and the wife all the others are jealous of; it's that she wants to feel like she belongs and she's so insecure that she can never be certain of her place with them.  The religious nonlegal ceremony didn't make her feel enough like part of the group, moving away from Utah where the other three wives shared a house wasn't enough, having Kody's baby wasn't enough. Becoming the legal wife is yet another step in reassuring herself that she belongs to them and they're not going to leave her. The next step is getting Kody to adopt her kids. But nothing may ever be enough. 

I don't feel sorry for Meri, and I don't think she's a victim here. Meri is the one who was jealous of Christine and Janelle, jealous of how many babies they had and their friendship with each other. Meri, after years of resentment, seemed in on the plan to bring Robyn into the family. Meri was happy to have Robyn as her best friend and replace Christine as the young wife with the last child. If Meri had wanted to, she could have easily fought this divorce. There's a reason she never did this for Christine, even though she had more children who probably needed say insurance given that Christine wasn't working. She did this for Robyn, her best friend, the one who had the baby Meri feels exceptionally close to and the one who offered to be her surrogate. 

Kody is probably clueless and maybe willfully so as usual. Kody probably believes they need to protect Robyn's kids from her ex.

As for her ex, I have no idea what kind of person he was. I think if he was amazing Robyn would have stayed with him or he would have custody. I think it's obvious he has some issues, but it's not obvious how severe they are or even what exactly they are.  I think their decision to leave Utah is relevant here, because that's the last time they made a big decision out of fear...

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1

These jerks.  I canceled cable back in November and haven't been able to watch.  Just the other day I decided that maybe I'd pay to watch on Amazon...but now I can't.  No way am I going to give them anything on the off chance that this is just another scheme to stay relevant.  In fact, I feel so strongly about it that I'm writing it into my personal mission statement, which I plan to unveil at a ceremony in 2 years.

Brilliant. I'll bring the finger sandwiches and peanut butter Fritos.

• Love 1

We are assuming that Robyn's husband is a good guy in part, I think, because many of us find Robyn unpleasant. But many unpleasant men and poor fathers are granted custody. I do honestly think the children have improved while living with the Browns, oddballs that they are. If Dayton's accident occurred on the father's watch, that might have given the courts enough push to give full custody - especially as the children are getting old enough to request such arrangements themselves. If he can't use custody as a weapon- Jessop may have signed over all rights for something as simple as financial reasons, or maybe he is marrying again and the new wife wants it, who knows.

But adoption of Robyn's children is the ONLY reason that isn't, well, mean and cruel.

Even if he married Robyn to adopt her kids, taking her to Hawaii on another honeymoon is mean and cruel to Janelle and Christine. Christine is probably still stashing away bits of her grocery money to visit her Dad.

• Love 9

Yesterday I was thinking a lot about this, and I was starting to wonder how long they have been planning this, as someone upthread mentioned. This makes me wonder about Christine walking out during the most recent "Tell-All" when Kody and Robyn were supposed to talk with Tamryn, just the two of them. Something felt off about that whole segment, and maybe this is the missing piece of the puzzle.

Then I started thinking some more. I think this whole development in a way harkens back to the early days of the show. I remember witnessing how Robyn went wedding dress shopping with M,C, and J with the supposed intent of finding one, only to discover that afterwards she chose one with KODY. And boy did that hurt Christine. Then Robyn acted shocked and guilty and sad. But I always found it weird that it never occurred to her that what she was doing was two-faced and dishonest. I don't think Robyn is mean or malicious, and I think she is a good mom who even loves all the other kids in the family too, but I see her as someone who is out for herself first and foremost, sometimes at the expense of other peoples' feelings. I am starting to get the sense this who marriage deal is another one of those times. 

Yes purpleflowers I think you are right! This must have been in the works at the time of the reunion show there fore all the "Robyn shocking news" and Christine being upset, etc....

• Love 2

I am not surprise Kody made Robyn his legal wife.  The moment that woman came into this unit she changed the dynamic and completely took over.  It’s almost as if the 18 or so years before her arrival didn’t happen.  One of my favorite sister wives’ moments was the tepid response and cold shoulder Robyn received from the audience at Oprah’s show.  I don’t feel sorry for Meri.  After all, she was the one who brought her in and willing gave up her husband.   The public really didn’t need to know that Kody swapped his first wife for the fourth, nor would have been any the wiser, so I wonder why didn’t they keep it a secret.

• Love 2

The notion that divorcing is nothing but a business move is an awful mockery of their wedding and marriage. I've seen the wedding photos/videos, and so have you--Meri was a young woman obviously in love and incredibly happy that day; she glows. IT MEANT SOMETHING. No matter what sort of private/religious extra rites they observe to seal themselves to each other, Meri Barber and Kody Brown were a lovely and in-love young couple once upon a time, and now they are divorced. Period.

• Love 21
I remember witnessing how Robyn went wedding dress shopping with M,C, and J with the supposed intent of finding one, only to discover that afterwards she chose one with KODY. And boy did that hurt Christine. Then Robyn acted shocked and guilty and sad. But I always found it weird that it never occurred to her that what she was doing was two-faced and dishonest.

I think your take on Robyn being so wrapped up in herself is spot on: that she is willing to do things that the sisterwives would find hurtful if they should accidentally find out. I will never forget the look on her face when Kody--perennially needing to be the center of attention--blurted out that he picked out Robyn's wedding gown. She knew she was busted, and in that moment she was utterly shame-faced. Didn't stop her in the moment though, did it? Like lip-locking Kody while he's off to the hospital where Christine is in labor. Um, remind me now...when did Christine's PMS start??

What I do know is that unless Jessop voluntarily gives up his parental rights it would be exceptionally difficult for Kody to adopt them

Actually, it would be legally impossible.

Edited by NewBaku
  • Love 4

Because I think that Robyn's ex husband may be a jerk (no proof, just a guess), I'm voting it has something to do with the kids.

Meri might have used this to actually better her position in the family. At the moment, in plyg world, she had one child and she is grown. Meri has little to no value in the family. She has pretty much said that herself. Kody is kinda done with her at this point.

IF she did some heroic thing that Kody wanted and Robyn wanted, for the sake of Robyn's kids...Meri would be a big deal. I don't like Meri but sadly, because of her fertility issues, she was never a big deal. She was always "less than" the other wives. A bold move like this might rocket her to Brown Sainthood.

Meri might not give a crap about her rights as a legal wife but be all about her status in the family.

And really, those Browns are a financial disaster. She might do better legally on her own....develop good credit and break free of their financial mess.

I realize this makes no sense to any of us but in their world, anything is possible.

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 1

Regarding the insurance excuse, when you go on the affordable care act web site to get insurance it has a lot of questions and based on your income, how you answered the questions and how you file your income taxes (assuming you file) you can be eligible for substantial government subsidy on the premiums or state insurance. The wives would probably do better if not married.

Financial aid for school may not be available for Meri or Mariha but there are a lot of grants and scholarships available for single women and their children and they are better because you don't have to pay them back.

Meri can file bankruptcy and not lose her home.

I agree this is sad for the Meri in those wedding pictures who was so in love, but after 20+ years, three additional wives and sharing her husband, I bet those bands have worn thin. Maybe she is ready for another life chapter.

I feel bad for Christine, don't think Jenele gives a flip, and that Robin has gotten no prize.

• Love 1

I would have way more tolerance if he just came out and admitted he traded in the old one for the new one. Men have done that skeevy trick for years. And while it's morally awful to me according to my value system. .at least he would be honest. It's the fact that they are trying to allude that this is a wonderful lifestyle for everyone and that they are doing it for religious reasons. They are professional grifters and have no issues using the very system they claim persecuted them at every turn. That's what bothers me. He assumes the viewers are as gullible as his wives are.

Honestly, i could have a neighbour who had ten live in f-buddies, without a marriage certificate to be seen...and i would have no problem with any of them if they were just living their lives honestly. He is disingenuous. And that infuriates me.

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 8

If Meri loves Robyn that much, she's done a great job of hiding it.

I think she 'loves' Robyn in the context of what Robyn can do for her, and the feeling is mutual. Bringing in Robyn gave Meri someone to team with against Janelle and Christine, all while being 'Holy' while helping an abused, impoverished single mom (BTW I don't think Robyn for a moment was a victim of anything she didnt create) and giving her husband a hotter, younger woman to bang.  Then it all backfired on her when Stealth Bitch Robyn wasn't so passive and took over.

My question is:  Will Meri give the "I gave my cookie to the wrong man" speech at their next "church" service?

That would be amazing and awesome, and pretty justified. 

I think your take on Robyn being so wrapped up in herself is spot on: that she is willing to do things that the sisterwives would find hurtful if they should accidentally find out. I will never forget the look on her face when Kody--perennially needing to be the center of attention--blurted out that he picked out Robyn's wedding gown. She knew she was busted, and in that moment she was utterly shame-faced. Didn't stop her in the moment though, did it? Like lip-locking Kody while he's off to the hospital where Christine is in labor. Um, remind me now...when did Christine's PMS start??

Yup. She didn't feel bad until she was caught. Christine is way too dramatic and seems to be living on her own planet already, but I can't imagine much worse of a betrayal than having your husband making out with his new girlfriend while you're in labor. If anyone loses it and starts shooting, it will be Christine.

I feel bad for Christine, don't think Jenele gives a flip, and that Robin has gotten no prize.

How does that saying go, "You may be the grand champion of the Shite Eating contest, but in the end, it just means you ate the most Shite." 

I would have way more tolerance if he just came out and admitted he traded in the old one for the new one. Men have done that skeevy trick for years. And while it's morally awful to me according to my value system. .at least he would be honest. It's the fact that they are trying to allude that this is a wonderful lifestyle for everyone and that they are doing it for religious reasons. They are professional grifters and have no issues using the very system they claim persecuted them at every turn. That's what bothers me. He assumes the viewers are as gullible as his wives are.

Honestly, i could have a neighbour who had ten live in f-buddies, without a marriage certificate to be seen...and i would have no problem with any of them if they were just living their lives honestly. He is disingenuous. And that infuriates me.

This sums it all up perfectly. If he were say, Flava Flav, who used to say he wanted 10 babies and 10 baby mammas, and was being honest that they'd all be in relationships with him at the same time, I'd be OK. They're wanting to skirt the law and make up a religion as they go. They all seem to hate each other, and I don't think they're making many sacrifices by moving into those big McMansions they can't afford, etc. They can't even share a kitchen now, so how are they going to share a planet in the afterlife? I think he is delusional and buys into his own hype.

• Love 4

Nearly every man who practiced polygamy does what Kody just did - he replaces his first wife (with whom he generally has a real and romantic relationship with) with a younger, more sexually exciting woman. They put all kinds of explanations and window dressing around it, but it's amazing how each one does the same exact thing.

• Love 4

Nearly every man who practiced polygamy does what Kody just did - he replaces his first wife (with whom he generally has a real and romantic relationship with) with a younger, more sexually exciting woman. They put all kinds of explanations and window dressing around it, but it's amazing how each one does the same exact thing.

Does the wife the husband divorced remain?

That's interesting. It'd be interesting to have more information on this.  I would think polygamy being illegal it would be hard to keep statistics, but I'd be interested if there was a blog or article that talked about this. 

Edited by Temperance

With the exception of Robyn, I think he married the other two within a few years, and they're all near the same age. Meri is only 6-7 years older than Robyn. She just looks a ton rougher. Actually, most of the men shown on TLC polygamy shows married their second wives within a few months of the first wedding, and there haven't been any huge age gaps. I'm talking about the My 5 Wives guy and the slew of polygamist families that have been on Sister Wives. 

I do think it's weird though at how many of the wives look so much like each other. Kody's wives don't, but the others do. Either way, there this whole divorcing one to legally marry another is just total BS. 

• Love 1

If you read the journals and stories of the first Mormon polygamists, you will see the same patterns emerge over and over. Marriage to first wife as an equal and genuine love. Marriage to second wife as devastation to relationship. Marriage to third wife as stabilization for home. Marriage to fourth wife for sex and youth.

For what it's worth, Nonie on my 5 Wives is, I think, quite a bit younger than the first three, who fit that pattern easily. Fifth wives were less common so there wasn't a stereotype.

But it was all there 150 years ago.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 3

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if Jessop relinquished his parental rights, Kody could adopt the kids without being married to Robyn.  A lot of people share adoptions or, like Brad Pitt, adopt their significant other's children after getting together.   You don't have to be married to adopt in this day and age.

I'm not buying it.  He put the old cow out to pasture.  

• Love 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if Jessop relinquished his parental rights, Kody could adopt the kids without being married to Robyn. A lot of people share adoptions or, like Brad Pitt, adopt their significant other's children after getting together. You don't have to be married to adopt in this day and age.

I'm not buying it. He put the old cow out to pasture.

This is what I've been saying. He could adopt without them being married. Just an excuse to so what he wanted.

• Love 4

This is what I've been saying. He could adopt without them being married. Just an excuse to so what he wanted.

I thought I had seen someone else mention it - great minds think alike!  Unlike Kodouche.  smh  He and Robyn are the worst.  And then the honeymoon on top of it.  I think  that's just horrible. 

• Love 1

The honeymoon, to me, puts the lie to any realigning the marriage and makes any justification they dream up to seem fake.

If it was an all in the family just to handle a little care for the children, no one would have dreamed of a Hawaii honeymoon. 

• Love 7

I'm a long time lurker and just have so much fun reading this forum! You guys are way more fun than the stupid show!

Well, I've got a theory on the divorce/mmarriage...and, it's out there. If we think about what we know for sure is true about the husband/wife legal status .....they cannot be forced to testify against each other. HA! What could they possibly be asked to testify about? Possibly some misinformation on a mortgage application regarding qualifications of income and other falsified documents? Me thinks maybe. If Sobbyns didn't even have heat for her tin can home, how did she establish enough credit history? Memories of Theresa in NJ come to mind here..

But I have a question too, why was Sobby so broke if her ex is rich? Was she not getting child support?

As far as insurance, absolutely no reason here. They are all earners from the show....not Azzhat dependents. Each Mother gets their own income and supports their own children, except of course when we do it.

• Love 8

I think because he has an infamous name and his branch of that family is well connected in the AUB, so people hear that and think wealth, but I don't think he was particularly well off at all that we have heard, no more so than Meri or Christine's families who are all related.

"I'm not buying it.  He put the old cow out to pasture" 

Lol....I am at work reading this forum and just spluttered my tea everywhere at this.

I was shocked to read this latest news about the divorce this morning, I really don't think Meri does anything that doesn't suit or benefit Meri in some way.

Have never been a fan of Robyns tbh, I find her a bit sneaky and don't really buy into all this 'love' for her sister wives and families.

I have a picture in my head of her doing a little happy dance in her bedroom on her own, punching the air and shouting 'yes I've got him'.....lol, well good luck love, he isn't much of a prize imo.

Edited by KateUK
  • Love 6

If Robyn's ex had any money I don't think she would be able to get away with her nasty behavior toward him.  They lived in a trailer with no crib for the babies!  I don't think he has two nickels to rub together.

I don't know about lying on the mortgage documents.  When I was looking at her record on the Clark County website when this all blew up I noticed another name on her mortgage, and I think it was her stepdad.  I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

• Love 3

The Big Love creators

did their homework!

I think they did too.

Bill's father Frank decided to marry Nita instead of Lois who was next in line after his first wife died. Then Bill offers Frank money for a new roof iirc and some money if he would change his mind and marry Lois instead.

Bill and Boss Lady (first wife) were actually in love when they married. Nicki, the second wife was more like Janelle in that Bill was not sexually attracted to her and Margene was the much younger sexual wife.  

I remember when they reenacted the Mormon ceremony which was so out there (coo coo for cocoa puffs) but was so on spot the Mormons were really upset about it.

Kody is nothing at all like Bill though, as Bill was successful and worked hard, where all Kody seems to do is walk funny (like a kid with a dirty diaper) and flipping his thinning dyed hair.

Edited by Rhondinella
spoilers for another show
  • Love 4

This is a bankruptcy move. Kody and Robyn likely have the most debt associated with their names. Marrying and discharging those debts protects the other 3. It also restarts the clock on when Kody can file again. My guess is My Sister Wife's closet is mostly in Kody's and Robyn's name and is about $300K under water.

I would not be shocked if Kody was removed as president from the LLC as a term of his divorce, sheltering that income. (Income that will be boosted by this stunt.)

Robyn sure found a way out of having babies, didn't she?

• Love 9

Agreed on alot of posters above for the reasons other than what Koduche and company have stated.

Did anyone mention ratings?  Divorce Meri, marry Sobyn and Koduche has another season in the bag easy with TLC. Plus, adding footage from their 2nd honeymoon in Hawaii, gives them a free trip.

Honestly, I don't know how Christine and Janelle (especially Janelle) can take this shit show anymore? 

The last or second last episode where they showed video from when it was just the 3 wives, those women actually looked happy with their situation and eachother.  Biggest mistake was adding Robyn to the mix and moving out of the one home they all shared.

In the end, Koduche will be practicing monogamy with just Robyn. 

• Love 1

But I have a question too, why was Sobby so broke if her ex is rich? Was she not getting child support?

I haven't a clue where this notion started. As others have said, there was always an implication that he and Robyn were barely able to keep body and soul together.

Marrying and discharging those debts protects the other 3. It also restarts the clock on when Kody can file again.

Maybe I misunderstand what you're saying here, wrestlesflamingos, but divorce and remarriage wouldn't restart Kody's credit clock. You bring your past credit history with you when you remarry and remain responsible for debts incurred even with a previous spouse. However, Kody and Meri filed their joint bankruptcy in 2005, so Kodouche is already eligible to file bk again. If he and Robyn are married, they can jointly name more dependents. Of course, they would also have to claim their joint income.

Hell, who knows? Whatever the reason, their "family restructuring" is some typical Kody Brown wheeling and dealing that highlights how little these people care for the sanctity of their actual marriages (in which ceremonies I assume they took VOWS.)

• Love 2

Wish I could have been there when this was first brought up to all the wives.  Who do you suppose broached the subject first?  My guess is Robyn.

Edited by camom
  • Love 1

This is a bankruptcy move. Kody and Robyn likely have the most debt associated with their names. Marrying and discharging those debts protects the other 3. It also restarts the clock on when Kody can file again. My guess is My Sister Wife's closet is mostly in Kody's and Robyn's name and is about $300K under water.

I would not be shocked if Kody was removed as president from the LLC as a term of his divorce, sheltering that income. (Income that will be boosted by this stunt.)

Robyn sure found a way out of having babies, didn't she?

Now this makes sense. If this isnt actually about dumping Keri and getting Robyn then this makes the most sense of anything I've heard so far. I couldn't see how this could be a financial move but this shows how it could be perfectly.

I'm still not putting it past Robyn and Kody that this is just about marrying his favorite but this makes sense too.

• Love 1

I keep hearing it repeated that Robyn lived in a trailer with NO HEAT... Oh the horror! However, I recall at some point, and probably only once in passing, that she had a wood stove in that trailer.

Wood stoves are a very valid & viable heat source. I lived the last 11 years in a 2 story house with a wood stove as a heat source. The stove was in the basement and does a very nice job of heating the basement, main floor and upstairs where the bedrooms are.

The only thing I can find in Robyn's NO HEAT theory that might be factual is that it's NOT for the lazy. Fires must be tended.

Sorry if that's been said already, it just irritates me beyond belief when I hear that because... Well, I think she's exaggerating, if not lying.

• Love 4

You know, everyone seems to be trying to come up with the one reason for the "restructuring" when it was likely a combination of everything we've been saying. Bratty Robyn gets her way, Kody makes it official with his favorite wife, it solidifies Kody's position as Robyn's kids' father, plus it probably facilitates all kinds of financial shenanigans. And they probably thought it would be good for ratings too, but judging by the response on their Facebook page I think it's going to backfire. 

• Love 5

If I understand what people are saying, the bankruptcy theory means that Kody and Robyn, as a legally married couple, could now file for bankruptcy.  Don't the courts look into things before allowing bankruptcy?  I'd think taking a Hawaiian honeymoon (and presumably having it filmed for TV) wouldn't look too good.

• Love 2

Re; bankruptcy - one would think they would look at stuff like the Hawaiian honeymoon before allowing a bankruptcy but the reality is I don't think they do. I knew a woman who knew she was going to declare bankruptcy and basically went on a big shopping spree right before she filed. She must have spent at least 5k on electronics etc. and she got to keep it all.  It made me sick.  

What happens to the house if they declare bankruptcy?

• Love 1

I think it may depend on the bankruptcy judge.  I've seen a couple of cases where people made last minute purchases and had to sell all the stuff and use it to pay off some creditors.  Maybe it's too many trips to the well or how blatant it is.  I wonder with the TLC earnings will work for them.

Edited by Absolom

We recently had to file bankruptcy due to our insurance refusing to cover medical treatments for our child and causing us to acquire so debt. We only didn't have to file for our home or cars. They still went through everything with a fine tooth comb. If they went to friggin Hawaii in December and plan to file soon, they could be in trouble. Makes me so mad that I feel my ode into a category with people like this who abuse the system when we actually needed it. Anyway, I have seeiousdoubts this is for bankruptcy. I mean they both have probably decent income from TLC. They can't hide that.

I really think he's just over the other three and they did it because the honeymoon. If it's a noble family thing then they wouldn't take a honeymoon if it was a simple legal shuffle. I am irrationally mad at them. lol

If they aren't behind, I believe they just affirm that debt and keep making payments and keep the house.

I am wondering if they have already restructured themselves so they make the right amount of money to file.

This is true. They can keep their home and cars. If they did file maybe it's solely my sister wives closet. Does anyone know if that's just in Robyn and kody's name?

• Love 3

How much money can it possibly cost to set up a bad website and source two dozen pieces of hideous JOOLry?

The whole world knows they have a television show, so how on earth do they get to file for bankruptcy successfully? Doesn't any bankruptcy judge throw their butts out the door?

And while I'm asking questions and hating myself for spending time thinking about any of this, wouldn't it show up in some court documents if Kody adopted Robyn's kids?

• Love 3

I really think he's just over the other three and they did it because the honeymoon. If it's a noble family thing then they wouldn't take a honeymoon if it was a simple legal shuffle. I am irrationally mad at them. lol

I do keep coming back to this. Even some of the scenarios which make sense (I mean sense in a Brown family kind of way - not a normal sane person kind of way) don't account for the honeymoon. I bet they sold the other wives on the idea with these insurance, bankruptcy, adoption etc scenarios but it's really about Robyn and Kody. Christine's extreme freak out over the friend who said he should keep one wife and get rid of the others may be evidence that she was sold altruistic reasons for the divorce/marriage but deep down she's not so sure they are the real reason.

• Love 5

You know, everyone seems to be trying to come up with the one reason for the "restructuring" when it was likely a combination of everything we've been saying. Bratty Robyn gets her way, Kody makes it official with his favorite wife, it solidifies Kody's position as Robyn's kids' father, plus it probably facilitates all kinds of financial shenanigans. And they probably thought it would be good for ratings too, but judging by the response on their Facebook page I think it's going to backfire. 

Re the last part, yes. I think a lot of their actual fans are on average older women and people who felt that they were a "family values" group but just a different type of family and none of those are going to be happy with the narrative of a man divorcing his older wife for his younger one no matter how they spin it. And the "restructuring" comment isn't going to help. It's not as terrible as when the "they're such a loving family" thing imploded in the most nuclear fashion possible for the HBBs but there are only very limited ways to spin this neutrally.

And yes the honeymoon is highly suspicious, especially with Meri pointed off on her own vacations with friends. Seems a very much "divorced wife goes on girls reunion and therapy session whilst hubby marries the trophy" dynamic to me. And were Janelle and Christine stuck with the babysitting?

• Love 11