Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

It's airing tonight at 6 PM EST. 
Do you think it's okay to watch The Christmas House 2: Deck the Halls (2021) without having seen the original The Christmas House?

You might miss a few very minor callbacks, but honestly, I believe most of it was covered in exposition. I think I would have enjoyed it all on its own even if I hadn't seen the first one.   

Edited by kirinan
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Do you think it's okay to watch The Christmas House 2: Deck the Halls (2021) without having seen the original The Christmas House?

4 minutes ago, kirinan said:

I think I would have enjoyed it all on its own even if I hadn't seen the first one. 

I agree.  I barely remembered what the first one was about.  I don't think you need to have seen the first one. 

This movie is told somewhat documentary style because they're participating in a competition show for TV so they show some interviews which also explain some of the dynamics but they don't overdo it.  Here are a few plot details from the first that might help you understand the dynamics but aren't necessary to understand the dynamics.

• Mike is an actor on a TV show (Handsome Justice, IIRC--cuz the character's last name is Handsome).  He comes home for Christmas in the first movie and reconnects with his high school crush, Andi.  She has a son.  They get together in the end. He buys the parents' house at the end of the movie.
  • Brandon is a baker.  He's married to Jake.  They are waiting to hear if they can adopt a child.  At the end of the first movie, there's a flash forward to the next year where you see the baby at Christmas.
  • Bill and Phylis are the parents. In the first movie, they were selling the house because they were planning on divorcing.  This being Hallmark, they decided not to in the end but they still felt it was time to downsize and sell the house.  That's why Mike bought it.

This movie is likely taking place a year after the jump forward because Jake and Brandon have two kids now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

The Christmas House 2 is my favorite of this year’s movies.  There was so much humor and the family dynamics were so well done.   It’s the best of the Hallmark sequels.  I like it even more than the first one.

• Love 2

The Christmas House 2 was wonderful. Only the Exhusband stuff was unneeded. They also had the best product placement ever. 
The Modern Family type of testimonials were all terrific. 

Edited by memememe76
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

The Christmas House 2 was wonderful. Only the Exhusband stuff was unneeded. They also had the best product placement ever. 
The Modern Family type of testimonials were all terrific. 

I liked the ex husband storyline.  The neglectful father who finally decides to make his son a priority and the step father feeling displaced now the the biological father is around full time  felt realistic to issues families can have.  The tension between biological and step parents is something that can happen.   I was on Andi’s side when she tried set boundaries because the father kept showing up without calling first .   I get he wants to see his son but calling his ex-wife before coming over to her house  is basic courtesy.  It made me think of that movie My Blue Heaven when Joan Cusack expresses frustration over her ex coming over all the time and just letting himself in because it made her feel disrespected.

The Sears product placement was hilariously bad on purpose and that was awesome.

Edited by Luckylyn
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Luckylyn said:

I liked the ex husband storyline.  The neglectful father who finally decides to make his son a priority and the step father feeling displaced now the the biological father is around full time

Me too.  I thought it was great that the ex showing up caused insecurity but it wasn't about the relationship to his girlfriend but instead it was about whether he'd be left behind in the eyes of her son.

And then that paralleled to the non-actor brother feeling a little insecure compared to the actor brother. The lobby scene between them was one of the best Hallmark scenes I think I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, Luckylyn said:

The Sears product placement was hilariously bad on purpose and that was awesome.

Everything to do with that play was amazing from Mike running lines with his dad about dirty Santa to the description when they tried to promote it on TV.  "It's this and this and also somehow a commercial for Sears."

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 6

I enjoyed the Christmas House 2 way more than I expected. I was really surprised by how well they handled making some of Brandon's insecurities stem from other people's expectations of him as a gay man and a gay dad without the movie becoming an after school special about acceptance. I find that very few movies walk that line well and I certainly didn't expect it of Hallmark. It was also a delight to see Jonathan Bennett have a sizeable part. I've misses his goofy charm on Holiday wars the past two seasons. 

• Love 6

Is that Susan Hogan playing Travis van Winkle's mom in Tis the Season to be Merry?  IMDB doesn't list the movie yet and the Hallmark Channel web site only lists three actors.  If it is her, she has had some amazing work done.  The actress looks great but, if it is Susan, it's the type of surgery that makes you look more like a different person rather than a pulled-tight version of your old self.

Speaking👆of actors who look younger than their years, Teryl Rothery (Macie in Christmas House 2) looks like she time traveled to the set from her last episode in the Stargate franchise.

I found Christmas House 2 more creative and less tropey than most of the Hallmark movies from the last few years currently airing. It was nice to have the A plot be about the siblings rather than yet another will-they-or-won’t-they, predestined romance.

I’m 90% sure I saw Brandon/Jonathan Bennett‘s real life husband, Jaymes Vaughan, in a cameo background shot near the end of the movie—shortly after the contest ended.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It's airing tonight at 6 PM EST. 

I'm late to the party here... but yes, it's okay! You're allowed ;-)

Both are good for a few laughs - and some heartstrings get pulled too. They touch on the main plot points of the first movie during the second... sort of a Reader's Digest version.

I finally watched the Dickens of a Holiday and enjoyed it. I wondered why Mayor Givens captured my attention... and then realized the part was played by Greg Rogers. (My sister and I chat about the movies we like and she asked me if I'd recognized Greg.) He's a bit older than me, but back when I was a young teen, I had a huge crush on him. He lived in the duplex apartment directly below my sister and when I'd visit her, I'd always hope I got to see Greg. I can almost feel my 13 yr old heart pounding. Such a shame that youth isn't appreciated by the young... LOL

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Ok just started watching Tis the Season to Be Merry, it's pretty good so far but honestly I have to vent here - they go back to Vermont and the friend's parents live in an ENORMOUS house but somehow the only spare bedroom they have turns out to be the brother's room?  Mmmkay.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SusannahM said:

Finally got a chance to watch A Kiss Before Christmas - wow, hard to believe this was a Hallmark movie.  Best one of the season for me so far.

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree! It’s my favorite movie so far. And Teri Hatcher looked AMAZING!

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

Ok just started watching Tis the Season to Be Merry, it's pretty good so far but honestly I have to vent here - they go back to Vermont and the friend's parents live in an ENORMOUS house but somehow the only spare bedroom they have turns out to be the brother's room?  Mmmkay.

I enjoyed this one because of the two leads.  Hahaha -- I noticed that about the spare bedroom -- I mean, really?!?  Anyway, Rachael Leigh Cook has the cutest sense of humor that comes out in facial expressions and little "asides" and I enjoy her tremendously.  Travis Van Winkle seemed to be having a ball.  There definitely were some repetitive tropes which I rolled my eyes at, but to me, all in all, it was a fun movie because of those two, the subtle humor and the gorgeous setting.  

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

I can kind of excuse this. People are transforming bedrooms into home offices and gyms and whatnot, and the brother, allegedly, rarely come home, so I could see his room getting the ax.

I guess I'm just burnt out on Hallmark Christmas movies, because Tis the Season couldn't hold my attention at all.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

....but somehow the only spare bedroom they have turns out to be the brother's room...

Which, by the way, is probably the same square footage as my whole first floor. 

Clearly I missed the boat when it came to chosing a career.  The retired school bus driver in An Unexpected Christmas somehow acquired a McMansion.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I guess I'm just burnt out on Hallmark Christmas movies, because Tis the Season couldn't hold my attention at all.

I'm definitely not as patient with these movies as I used to be.  There are way more movies that I am deleting after maybe 10 minutes of viewing.  To be fair to Hallmark 2021 though these deleted movies aren't limited to this years crop - I've actually found quite a few to be pretty good.  I think like a lot of people I'm just burnt out in general this year and in no mood to suffer fools gladly!

Edited by SusannahM
  • Love 5

I liked Tis The Season To Be Merry because of Travis and Rachel Leigh Cook.  I mean--we had a naked bed moment and he had a good naked body. But there were also moments that were just so silly.

Like can't the boss call to ask the questions she had?  No, she goes to this small town---that apparently has an airport?

And everyone was tsk tsking Merry for her "rules" but her rules weren't superficial things like "must have blue eyes" or "must have a PhD."  Her rules were sensible "how to have a healthy relationship" type of advice.  Those aren't stupid. 

But eh.  So I wish the overall story would have been better but it was still enjoyable.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 12/13/2021 at 3:06 PM, debbie311 said:

The character Ashley Williams was playing REALLY got on my nerves.  Too much goofy smiling and dialogue, and most of the time she seemed like she was on a sugar high or something. Tone it down!!

Just watching the Sister Swap previews for this movie at the end where they both say 'Merry Christmas' to each other, Ashley has her eyes closed, her shoulders all shrugged and grinning like a goofball.  The only KW-P movie I liked her in was Identity Theft (which was a Lifetime movie some years back and really good - based on a true story)

I tried watching My Best Friend's Wedding Bouquet on Saturday.  The premise of the "bouquet knows who to go to:" was interesting, but the predictability of which guy she'd wind up with quickly bored me

Loved Christmas House 2! All the original characters and skipping the year to do the house again as a family battle.

Tis the season to be merry. The brother had to sleep on the sofa? A house that size only has 2 rooms + Primary room? No way 

• Love 1

He did go off on her so I liked that. I loved how the brothers acted like brothers, and the parents acted like parents. They seemed like a real family. I also liked how the ex wasn’t trying to get back together with her and Robert Buckley’s character was more jealous about his relationship with Noah. What an entertaining movie!

• Love 5

In a man bites dog storyline, in Tis The Season To Be Merry, the globe-trotting son decides it's time to come home to take over the multi generation family general store/tree farm only to find his parents have sold the farm because 3 generations is enough and he should find his own dream.

I was happy to see that they decided to take advantage of Travis' You body to give us a gratuitous Christopher Russell-type shirtless shot.

17 hours ago, SusannahM said:

And it had a full size decorated tree in it.  My vent was when she was going to the kitchen in the middle of the night to get a snack and he accused he of sneaking around in the dark. There were 18 thousand strands of Christmas lights strung all around the house. The kitchen especially looked like daylight. I turn off the tree when I got to bed ( as I’m the last).  Do people really leave all their lights on like that?

Overall I liked it.  But if I hadnt, it was worth the watch to see Travis Van Winkle dressed in a towel. 😍

Edited by Tdoc72
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

I didn't originally intend to watch it at all, but last night I caught the first part of Sugar Plum Twist as I got into bed at 10 p.m. (I'm one of those who likes to fall asleep with the TV on), and ended up watching until midnight. It was a very nice movie. I liked the actresses that played Natalia and Vivi, and I loved the emphasis on the Latin dancing and Vivi's family and traditions. Pleasantly surprised.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

And it had a full size decorated tree in it.  

In a room that as far as the family knew wasn't even going to be used!  I missed that, guess I've gotten hardened to excessive Christmas decor!

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

In a room that as far as the family knew wasn't even going to be used!  I missed that, guess I've gotten hardened to excessive Christmas decor!

Ha! It makes me appreciate Crashing Through the Snow more, because they at least poked fun at the excess Christmas trees in their ginormous house. That was another instance where the family put the lead in the love interest's bedroom, when they lived in a mansion, but in that case, there was an actual guest room for him to stay in, and it made sense to give her a large suite to balance some private time with her kids.

• Love 5

Just finished An Unexpected Christmas this afternoon. Definitely one of my favorite Hallmark Christmas movies. Decent storyline with believable characters (including the divorced lesbian sister!). I love how the Dad was over the top with the Christmas decorations, and everyone knew he was over the top but went along with it anyway. 😀 Also, no snowball fights!

• Love 4

I've seen several this year that I really liked. My husband watches them with me and he really liked A Kiss Before Christmas.  (I think he sees a little of himself in the James Denton character!) We also really liked One December Night, My Christmas Family Tree and When a Bell Rings. I'm really loving all of the increased diversity. It is starting to feel less token-ish and more like they are actually exploring and writing stories and characters of all different backgrounds. I will probably check out Christmas House 2 now that so many people have raved about it. I remember watching it last year and liking it. 

• Love 3
On 12/19/2021 at 10:03 AM, Luckylyn said:

The Christmas House 2 is my favorite of this year’s movies.  There was so much humor and the family dynamics were so well done.   It’s the best of the Hallmark sequels.  I like it even more than the first one.

This brings up a question I have:  Hallmark and Lifetime  (maybe other channels too?) have been making sequels of past movies (not all set during Christmas).

But my question is:  how is the decision made as to which movies get sequels? 

On 12/20/2021 at 9:22 AM, MerBearHou said:

I enjoyed this one because of the two leads.  Hahaha -- I noticed that about the spare bedroom -- I mean, really?!?  Anyway, Rachael Leigh Cook has the cutest sense of humor that comes out in facial expressions and little "asides" and I enjoy her tremendously.  Travis Van Winkle seemed to be having a ball.  There definitely were some repetitive tropes which I rolled my eyes at, but to me, all in all, it was a fun movie because of those two, the subtle humor and the gorgeous setting.  

Although I don't intend to watch her movie Tis the Season to be Merry, I have a lot of residual love for Rachel Leigh Cook from She's All That.  To this day, I can't hear the song "Kiss Me" without thinking about that movie.  (And yes, I know I'm also forgoing the chance to see shirtless hottie Travis Van Winkle...but that's OK).

• Love 2
On 12/21/2021 at 4:38 AM, Tdoc72 said:

Do people really leave all their lights on like that?

When I was a child, the tree/decorations (railing with lights and fresh garland), were unplugged regularly. All the hot bulbs nestled in increasingly drying greenery could literally kill you. With today’s LEDs and more natural-looking artificial greenery, it’s a very cheering and uplifting sight when you wake up during the darkest days of the year!

• Love 1

I thought there was going to be a sequel movie to “A Gift to Remember” this year. I was surprised when the actress from that movie turned up in “Every Time a Bell Rings”. Guess not. 

I fell asleep watching Tis The Season To Be Merry and woke up in time to see the beginning premise for The Most Wonderful Time of the Year (2008) in which the wonderful Henry Winkler's character meets the gorgeous Warren Christie's character in a busy holiday-time airport. Winkler's character (Uncle Ralph) winds up taking Christie's character (Morgan) home to his niece so he can play cupid between Morgan and his niece. Everything is better with Henry Winkler, but what really works in the movie is that the main characters are basically playing versions of themselves: Winkler is being droll and 30-ish Warren Christie and Brooke Burns are being beautiful. There's a little bit of plot and a few other characters, of course.

• Love 5
On 12/6/2021 at 10:44 PM, Dani said:

If haven’t watched this one yet. I’m assuming that involved Ali Liebert’s character. I thrilled she is a part of Hallmark becoming more inclusive.  She was stuck in the best friend role for so long and was never really given the roles she deserved under the old leadership. When she spoke out during the Zola controversy I was concerned she might have left Hallmark for good. 

I enjoyed Ali Leibert in A Gift For Christmas (2017). She was lead to Peter Porte.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Everything is better with Henry Winkler,

Have you seen Winkler, Foreman, Bradshaw, and Shatner, wandering around the globe in “Better Late Than Never”? I so wanted more of those-hilarious!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 12/21/2021 at 9:08 PM, norcalgal said:

Although I don't intend to watch her movie Tis the Season to be Merry, I have a lot of residual love for Rachel Leigh Cook from She's All That.  To this day, I can't hear the song "Kiss Me" without thinking about that movie.  (And yes, I know I'm also forgoing the chance to see shirtless hottie Travis Van Winkle...but that's OK).

I was sooooooo disappointed with this one.  Rachael and Travis are both so cute but the writing for this story was so convoluted. 

Travis NEVER takes off his shirt.  No unbuttoning.  Nothing.  Such a waste.

On 12/20/2021 at 6:04 AM, Bliss said:

I finally watched the Dickens of a Holiday and enjoyed it. 

This was good.  Kristoffer Polaha (Sp?) was incredible.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Travis NEVER takes off his shirt.  No unbuttoning.  Nothing.  Such a waste.

Huh?  Oh but he does.  He's only in a towel at the beginning of the movie when they first see each other.  He had just taken a shower. 

I didn't hate Tis The Season To Be Merry.  In fact I watched it again, which is more than I can say for almost every movie this season.  Shirtless Travis is the main reason, no question.  Ms Blue Jay, I am guessing by your name that you watch these movies on W, in which case I'm not sure how you could have missed the towel scene as it was in every promo (and you know how W loves their promos...)  In fact, I think my screen actually froze there for a few minutes.

I tried to re-watch Christmas CEO but hated it again.  Even Paul Greene couldn't save it.  I will try My Christmas Family Tree again but not holding out much hope, and re-watched Nine Kittens of Christmas mostly out of residual love for the original.

On the other hand, I am re-watching Write Before Christmas with Chad Michael Murray.  It's from last year or the year before, but quite enjoyable.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, bankerchick said:

On the other hand, I am re-watching Write Before Christmas with Chad Michael Murray.  It's from last year or the year before, but quite enjoyable.

I enjoy that one and the one with Jesse Schram where they film excerpts for his mother’s holiday special. All of his recent movies he’s been using this bizarre country accent, and I can’t take him seriously anymore. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I didn't hate Tis The Season To Be Merry.  In fact I watched it again, which is more than I can say for almost every movie this season.  Shirtless Travis is the main reason, no question.  Ms Blue Jay, I am guessing by your name that you watch these movies on W, in which case I'm not sure how you could have missed the towel scene as it was in every promo (and you know how W loves their promos...)  In fact, I think my screen actually froze there for a few minutes.

Yes, that's true.  Sorry everyone.  I tend to multitask when I watch these movies.  And I HATE THE PROMOS OF THESE MOVIES BECAUSE THEY ALWAYS SPOIL THE ENDING.  Like I know, it's Hallmark, the couple kisses at the end.  I still don't want to see it in the promo!

I probably missed the original discussion, but did you guys all like "The Santa Stakeout"?  Speaking of Paul Campbell!  Now that was good!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

A lot of people didn’t like Santa Stakeout but I did because I liked the mystery and humor. 

Write Before Christmas is on my DVR for a rewatch since I also enjoyed it. I still need to watch a Kiss Before Christmas since the consensus is that it was a good movie. 

• Love 3
On 12/20/2021 at 4:58 PM, Artsda said:

Loved Christmas House 2! All the original characters and skipping the year to do the house again as a family battle.

Tis the season to be merry. The brother had to sleep on the sofa? A house that size only has 2 rooms + Primary room? No way 

I noticed you referred to the master bedroom as "primary room". When did that come about?