Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I am probably in the minority here, but in some ways I miss the older movies with the predictable storylines.  Yes, they were silly almost all the time; pumpkin farms, candy cane factories, etc.  But...

For the most part, the leads were engaging.  Ryan P is not the best of actors but he was always a good romantic lead.  A good many were maybe a bit Ken-doll like, but they sold the stories.  I miss some of the actresses - but not CCB or the one with the big doe eyes -- Jennifer something?  She wasn't a bad actress, though.  I don't need movies that take on a more serious tone.  

Basically, I think the issue this year is that many of the newer cast members have no chemistry and/or don't play well off of one another.  All this is just my opinion.

• Like 3
On 2/12/2024 at 3:29 PM, geekgirl921 said:

I have been wondering what the heck has happened to Ben Ayers' hair lately. It was also like this in his Christmas movie!!

His hair is naturally very curly.

On 3/3/2024 at 10:57 PM, KLovestoShop said:

BTW, Ryan Paevey IS gone from Hallmark.  He did an hour long chat on Instagram this afternoon, and said he did his last movie for the channel.  Didn’t reveal why they’ve parted ways, but he’s now putting all his creativity into his Fortunate Wanderer company.  Very sad to see him go. 

I didn't see that interview but did read that he said he had nothing currently scheduled with Hallmark.  Did he actually say they parted ways?  I know in 2023 he signed a multi-movie deal with Hallmark so I'm confused and there was talk of him starring in a Hallmark mystery series.

I fell asleep less than 30 minutes in to both last week's fashion mystery and Tyler's movie last night.   I finally finished the mystery, but is it worth finishing Shifting Gears? 

Tyler is one of my favorite Hallmark leading men, but I feel like Hallmark has struggled with who to pair him with.  Lately, they seem to be putting him with the younger female leads that they are trying to establish, and these movies are falling flat for me.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I enjoy Tyler in most (not all) of his movies but Shifting Gears was not good IMO.  His co-star was not a good match for him and shallow as it may sound, his hair looked like a hairpiece and with his weight loss and not being that tall, he looked very slight next to Katherine.  They did the annoying Hallmark thing where Katherine was quite snarky and antagonistic with Tyler right from the get-go due to their history, and it made me think “why in the world would anyone be drawn to her”.  I don’t recommend, but others may differ.  Tyler’s laid-back acting style is starting to seem a little one-note to me and this is coming from someone who likes him.  Also, why the toothpick in his mouth so often (he did this in the Shifting Gears movie, does it in real life, had a candy cane in his mouth often in the Three Wise Men movie)?  He has a very, very, very devoted group of followers — on FB, they were borderline nasty to anyone who had a negative comment about Shifting Gears, even when diplomatically stated.  It was almost comical.

• Like 7

I actually enjoyed Shifting Gears. Cars aren't my thing at all but the story held my interest, and I found the characters likable. Her final paint job was pretty cool looking, too. I think part of the reason Tyler seemed so slight and short was because he's so frequently paired with Lacey, who's barely over five feet tall IIRC and would make anyone look like a giant in comparison, lol.

Found a great interview with Tyler - apparently Hallmark has launched a mentorship program for women directors (founded by Ashley Williams! I almost feel bad making fun of her for so many years now) and this was their first effort. And the director was none other than Crystal Lowe, aka the nerdy girl from Signed, Sealed and Delivered. Hollywood is such a boys club I really give Hallmark credit for giving more opportunities for women behind the camera as well as in front of it.

https://people.com/tyler-hynes-celebrating-women-hallmark-channel-movie-shifting-gears-exclusive-8619400

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

I didn't love Shifting Gears but I was better than I was expecting. 

2 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

They did the annoying Hallmark thing where Katherine was quite snarky and antagonistic with Tyler right from the get-go due to their history, and it made me think “why in the world would anyone be drawn to her”.

I think they did a pretty good job of explaining why she wasn't thrilled with him.  His grandfather was an idiot for not formalizing his wishes in a will but I didn't think her irritation was out of nowhere and he even seemed to hold some guilt over the situation even if he wasn't in control of it. 

• Like 1

30 minutes into An Easter Bloom and I’m out. So boring. Plus, I’m not religious so I’m definitely not the audience for this (which I get… It’s an Easter movie after all).

• Like 4

Once again, Hallmark writers create a scenario around a subject they know nothing about. The shovel in solidly frozen ground was ridiculous. You don’t go out in March or April and start digging where you planted bulbs in the fall. Moreover, the bulbs manage to produce greenery in spite of temperatures in the teens and twenties. Longer days and higher angle of sun ensure the bulbs come up. Also cringed at the “waiting for the bloom to come in”, as if waiting for the perfect moment to pick grapes. All bulbs come in early, mid, and late blooming varieties. It’s a process, not an event.

• Like 8
(edited)

I didn't even bother with Easter Bloom since it looked to be on the religious side from the ads, and that's an automatic no for me (along with Amish movies and most royal movies).

Recently caught a rerun of Sand, Sun and Romance (I think that's the title?) with Paul Campbell and Tricia Helfer - that's always a fun movie! Paul's pretty impossible not to like, and it's kinda fun to see Tricia in a rom com considering I usually see her in scifi-fantasy shows as a villain, lol. Also, Cancun is gorgeous.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Like 3

Anyone catch Blind Date Book Club last night? I liked it. Granted, I'm disposed to like anything with Robert Buckley, who's one of my favorites, but I even liked Erin Krakow, who isn't normally someone I go out of my way to watch (I don't dislike her; I just don't go out of my way to watch her movies). I liked the plot, I liked the chemistry between the leads and I liked Alice, the other bookstore employee. It was a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours. I would watch it again.

And then I watched Shifting Gears, which was on right afterward. I wouldn't put it in the top half of the Tyler Hynes oeuvre, but I liked it better than I thought I would. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, kirinan said:

Anyone catch Blind Date Book Club last night?

I started off annoyed with the lead guy because he hated his commercial success and wanted to write the great American novel. I really thought we were being set up that the agent/publishers were evil for denying him his chance to write to his full potential. In other words, he was really pretentious. 

Imagine my surprise when the story was for him to re-embrace what kept him fed and that his "literature novel" wasn't great. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I started off annoyed with the lead guy because he hated his commercial success and wanted to write the great American novel. I really thought we were being set up that the agent/publishers were evil for denying him his chance to write to his full potential. In other words, he was really pretentious. 

Imagine my surprise when the story was for him to re-embrace what kept him fed and that his "literature novel" wasn't great. 

And he used the public/fan comments to make the new book fresh. I thought the theme of “write what you know” was pertinent, but didn’t prohibit him for branching out in future, as he’s about to know a bit more about romance. EK was given a decent part and direction in this.

• Like 3

Is it just me, or did things start going south for Ryan ever since the "piggy nose" discussion?  😉🤣  

Seriously, though, It sounds like he's having a rough time both professionally & personally.  Hope things improve for him soon.  

• Like 2

I really enjoyed Legend of the Lost Locket. The leads had nice chemistry and no one was irritating. The supporting cast was good, and I don't remember seeing any of them in other HM movies so if this was their first go-round, they did a good job. I liked Marcus's humor, I got a good chuckle when he saw Amelia running toward him to apologize, said 'No', and turned around lol. I don't watch When Calls the Heart so I wasn't familiar with the leads but I liked both and hope to see them in other movies in the future. And, no wonder Amelia's accent was good, the actress is actually British so good job, show. I'll definitely watch this one again.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I enjoyed Legend of the Lost Locket as well!  An interesting mystery and I enjoyed the two leads very much.  Viv Leacock is always a delight and I'd never seen the actress who played Amelia -- she did a great job and had nice chemistry with Viv.  

• Like 3
On 4/15/2024 at 3:49 PM, Badsamaritan said:

I really enjoyed Legend of the Lost Locket. The leads had nice chemistry and no one was irritating. The supporting cast was good, and I don't remember seeing any of them in other HM movies so if this was their first go-round, they did a good job. I liked Marcus's humor, I got a good chuckle when he saw Amelia running toward him to apologize, said 'No', and turned around lol. I don't watch When Calls the Heart so I wasn't familiar with the leads but I liked both and hope to see them in other movies in the future. And, no wonder Amelia's accent was good, the actress is actually British so good job, show. I'll definitely watch this one again.  

Not just WCtH, he was Kellie Martin’s best friend in the most recent mystery series she had (where her fiancé was murdered-she was a therapist). Also, he made a Christmas movie with Luke McF that seems to be a favorite. Maggie’s Christmas Miracle. 

• Like 3

I enjoyed Falling in love in Niagara all the tourist attractions they did and filmed at added and how it started with them so opposite of each other. 

That wedding was really small though, technically the only real guest was the best friend best man. 

• Like 3
23 hours ago, Artsda said:

I enjoyed Falling in love in Niagara all the tourist attractions they did and filmed at added and how it started with them so opposite of each other. 

That wedding was really small though, technically the only real guest was the best friend best man. 

I, too, enjoyed seeing all the Niagra Falls attractions, makes me want to book a trip there :)  The main couple had cute chemistry, and I liked all the supporting characters, like her sister & the young tour guide owner.

• Like 3
On 4/20/2024 at 10:12 PM, Artsda said:

The movie was cute. I liked it, too.

• Like 1

Not sure if this where to put this but I'm recuperating from an accident - leg fractures so I can't move much - and watching alot of daytime tv.  Been watching alot of Perry Mason and Murder she Wrote on the Great American Family channel ( a channel I don't get at home).  I swear every other commercial is about their Christmas movies - they actually have a countdown clock! - and how this will be the greatest season yet for their Christmas movies.  If the commerical isn't about the Christmas movies it's about Candice Cameron Bure and her new mystery movies series coming soon.

1 hour ago, abbyzenn said:

Not sure if this where to put this but I'm recuperating from an accident - leg fractures so I can't move much - and watching alot of daytime tv.  Been watching alot of Perry Mason and Murder she Wrote on the Great American Family channel ( a channel I don't get at home).

@abbyzenn, there's a thread for GAF here. And I hope your leg heals quickly so you can get out and enjoy the spring and summer weather.

For everyone else, on the Hallmark Channel topic, I am so down for a sequel to Three Wise Men and a Baby. I don't care how good or bad it is, I'll watch it!

Edited by kirinan
  • Like 8
  • Applause 2
9 minutes ago, kirinan said:

More info here as well: https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/hallmark-three-wise-men-and-a-baby-sequel-tyler-hynes-andrew-walker-paul-campbell-1235981467/

The sequel picks up five years later ahead of Christmas. Per the logline, “In a crazy turn of events, possibly brought on accidentally by the brothers themselves, the director of Luke’s (Walker) son Thomas’ (Miles Marthaller) school holiday musical steps down. Luke is desperate to make his son’s stage dreams come true, so he enlists the help of his brothers Taylor (Hynes) and Stephan (Campbell). Meanwhile, the trio navigates meeting their mom Barbara’s (Margaret Colin) new boyfriend and the brothers grapple with their own feelings about this relationship. In true Brenner brother fashion, they are all in for a Christmas they will never forget.”

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

I finally saw Falling in Love in Niagra, and the scenery and stars helped elevate the movie beyond the many nitpicks I had.  First, I like Dan Jeannote, and I absolutely love Jocelyn Hudon.  I've seen three Hallmark movies where she's the lead, and I found myself more invested than I usually am for each one. And it's the only thing I've seen her in so it's not like I came pre-liking her.

But there were some things that left me scratching my head.  I think the fiance seemed like two different people.  In the beginning, I felt like he had every right to call off the wedding.  5 weeks before the wedding isn't ideal, but it's better than just right before the wedding or sadly, after the wedding.  But she went to his house, took his laundry and threw away his clothes.  And she seemed to move forward with everything she wanted for the honeymoon without consulting him.  The villain POV she and her sister had for him felt unwarranted.

Then, when she first meets the lead, she throws money into his coffee and spills all over him and acts like he's unreasonable for not simply accepting "I had good intentions."  She made a mistake.  Don't most people, even when they have good intentions, apologize when good intentions go so wrong? 

So I was on his side until he completely messed up his job by showing up late and not correctly scheduling a simple tour? 

Luckily, they both got better after the first 30 minutes.

Then the fiance comes back with a complete character change.  Now he's being written like the villain they claimed he was earlier in the episode even though the actions we initially saw didn't back that up.  The thing that cracked me up the most about him is that he said he wanted to try again and "get married in the fall."  Not by the falls but in the fall.  The only thing is, the colors on the leaves indicate that this movie is taking place in the fall.  So is he talking about next fall?

I also wish the sister would have started a relationship with the tour company owner instead of the brother.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I also wish the sister would have started a relationship with the tour company owner instead of the brother.

At first I thought that was where it was going. I thought they had chemistry.

• Like 1

I can't think Paul and Kimberley would agree to do this sequel if they couldn't make the script work - maybe I'm being naive about that but I'm going to stay optimistic and hold out hope it's another winner like the first. (And I say this as someone who firmly believes that Christmas belongs in December and no other part of the year, lol).

• Like 3

On the subject of Three Men

Doing my hundredth rewatch of it tonight, and I’m thinking — not for the first time — how dead sexy Tyler looks with that candy cane hanging out of his mouth.

Not a joke.  Some actors just look good, eating on camera.  Think Brad Pitt in Ocean’s Eleven, who was munching away in nearly every scene.  And Joan Collins in Dynasty!  One day while filming an argument with Krystle, she bit the head off a scallion for emphasis.  It worked so well, they had her eating something during scenes often as possible 🤣