Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

That image made me literally laugh out loud. Microwaving fish in the office is vile and should be punishable with a loss of microwave privileges. 

The only time anyone in my office was allowed to nuke fish was when we were being audited by the State. The auditor use our conference room for the audit and the owner micrwaved fish every day he was in there. The conference room is right next to the kitchen.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

The only time anyone in my office was allowed to nuke fish was when we were being audited by the State. The auditor use our conference room for the audit and the owner micrwaved fish every day he was in there. The conference room is right next to the kitchen.

I think I've posted about this before, but I knew a guy who was a sales tax auditor for the state government, and he would do the audits on site.  He was always amazed at the businesses that would do stuff like that, like saying they didn't have an office for him, but he could work on their deck outside, in the winter.  Why make the auditor miserable?

The only possible good that could come of it is that the auditor would want to finish that audit ASAP, but as long as he's there, if it were my business he was examining, I'd wouldn't want him to be in a bad mood.

1 hour ago, janestclair said:

I have an inkjet printer that I use once in a blue moon.  Every time it runs out of color ink, I just replace it with a black cartridge, and when that finishes, I just buy a new printer because it's cheaper than the damn ink.

And incredibly wasteful, which further pissed me off every time I just said fine, I'll buy a new printer.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I used to work in a big room with cubicles, and a microwave just sitting on a table among them.  Someone reheated fish, and it looked like a prairie dog town with everybody's heads popping up out of their cubicles.

I became so enraged at the inkjet shenanigans that I ditched inkjet entirely and bought a laser printer.  It doesn't print in color, but it prints and scans and copies and if I ever need anything in color, I'll figure out how to do it at Kinko's or something.  It's been probably a year now and hasn't happened yet. 

It wasn't much more expensive than an inkjet, and I don't have to deal with that bullying inkjet printer any more.

I must be the only one not peeved with fish smell, but that may be because my coworkers only reheated fish-based dishes, like a fish casserole with rice. The worst, for me, is anything curry - Iove curries and accept that I'll burp curry taste for about 24 hours after eating. However a curry dish in the microwave lives on for a looooong time - on par with burnt popcorn 

• Love 3

think I've posted about this before, but I knew a guy who was a sales tax auditor for the state government, and he would do the audits on site.  He was always amazed at the businesses that would do stuff like that, like saying they didn't have an office for him, but he could work on their deck outside, in the winter.  Why make the auditor miserable?

The only possible good that could come of it is that the auditor would want to finish that audit ASAP, but as long as he's there, if it were my business he was examining, I'd wouldn't want him to be in a bad mood.

The owner was a massive right wing anti government moron. Good thing the accounting dept. (of which I was part) were damn good bookkeepers and he couldn't find a single mistake.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

Using DVR as a verb (especially with a damn apostrophe).  "I DVR'd [show]."  Why not just say you recorded it?  Back in the day, we did not say, "I VCRed" something.

Well...the apostrophe is not wrong in a technical sense, as apostrophes are used to represent letters that have been excised. And It could be for "we d[igitally] v[ideo] r[ecorde]'d it (though, I guess the e would be after the apostrophe. Also, I never want to type with such bracketry again--my fingers did not want to do that at all! 

What I don't get is how "little" is abbreviated "l'il"--it needs another apostrophe-(which would make it only one fewer character than "little" anyway)!

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

What I don't get is how "little" is abbreviated "l'il"--it needs another apostrophe-(which would make it only one fewer character than "little" anyway)!

How about "liddle'"? *bristles fur*

• Love 1
6 hours ago, janestclair said:

Every time it runs out of color ink, I just replace it with a black cartridge, and when that finishes, I just buy a new printer because it's cheaper than the damn ink. Most of the time, when I need to print something it's work related anyhow, so I just print at work and use their ink.

This is infuriating! Last time I was in Staples getting ink, I was so tempted to just get a new printer because they were like $30-something, but the 5-pack of ink was $45. Hell, just one ink replacement cartridge is over $20. That doesn't even make sense. I'm so damn angry now.

• Love 1

My peeve is that this discussion somehow placed a curse upon my printer, and I had to clean the nozzles in order to print tonight.  (I'm also peeved that I'm working at 9:00, but at least it's on personal stuff; I'm piecing together into completion some investment stuff I'd let slide beyond what I needed to know for taxes - first world problem!)

• Love 5

There's been a lot of discussion about men molesting women in various environments; but I will say that in some respects women are no better.

For many years I have been going to various lesbian bars & clubs, and on nearly every occasion I have had my arse or boobs squeezed by some woman pressing herself closely against me (usually at the bar). The most recent event was a last Saturday, when a woman was standing behind me at the bar waiting to be served, and I could feel her hand on my bum, and not just by accident because she moved it around and then gave my arse a squeeze before I walked off, drinks in hand.

So even though I detest men for taking advantage of women by un-called for sexual molestation, some women are not completely beyond reproach either.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Peeve: people who profess to be nice but aren't. What they really are are mean people who have an aberration into niceness, when they want to cover up the crazy meanness. They will list all the good deeds they do, to lull you into Oh, nice person.

In my experience, the people who need to repeat over and over how nice/intelligent/sexy/popular/etc. they are.....aren't.

• Love 10

My brother has forty boxes of Girl Scout Cookies that were outdated in 2016 in his garage. There is a story behind it about  rogue troop leader. I opened a couple boxes when I went back to pick up my mother from her visit (he lives four hours away). The thin mints where discolored. I ate a couple samosas and didn't die, they still tasted pretty good. I didn't eat any of the others, didn't want to press my luck. 

If he'd kept them in a giant freezer then those poor mints would have lived.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

In my experience, the people who need to repeat over and over how nice/intelligent/sexy/popular/etc. they are.....aren't.

I have a friend that constantly says "they just love me" about her bosses and co-workers. Methinks it is a crock.

• Love 6

My peeve right now is very specific: people who take over waiting rooms in hospitals with zero consideration for others. Last week I spent a good bit of time at a hospital with my sister, who was in ICU. There is a designated "ICU family waiting room" just down the hall a bit from the entrance to ICU. Given that a couple of other family members and I were taking shifts to be in the actual patient room, it would have been nice to be able to go sit in the designated waiting room to take a break, but no such luck. For the entire 4-5 days I was hanging out at the hospital (alternating between being in my sister's room, the downstairs general lobby, the cafeteria, etc.), there was a family essentially camped out in the ICU waiting room.  Not just one or two, but 11 members of the same family, with food, pillows, blankets, etc., up to and including one of them sleeping on the one reclining chair in the waiting room for several hours, snoring away. The room has 14 chairs, and they occupied almost all of them, and had the nerve when I wandered in momentarily looking for a seat, to tell me I needed to be quiet because family member A was asleep now, and she'd been up there for 3 days straight.  While I understand all too well that having a family member in ICU is a stressful situation, people should understand that the waiting room is not their personal waiting room/hotel room. Another family ended up having to go to a much more remote waiting room, simply because this other family refused to budge. To top it off, even if I had simply taken one of the three empty chairs left, this family was in the middle of major ongoing arguments that were very loud, so it would have been impossible to relax. One of them even attempted to draw me into it, by giving a rundown of the various family issues, until I stopped him and said I needed to go. 

• Love 17
30 minutes ago, auntlada said:

And also good, @GHScorpiosRule.

Absolutely! My mom makes the best. But with my parents now living in India, Indian markets have gotten better. There is this one brand, Deep, that makes excellent mini somosas. Of course, one can get chicken, and lamb, I think. But I've always had the vegetarian ones and those are my faves.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

My peeve right now is very specific: people who take over waiting rooms in hospitals with zero consideration for others. Last week I spent a good bit of time at a hospital with my sister, who was in ICU. There is a designated "ICU family waiting room" just down the hall a bit from the entrance to ICU. Given that a couple of other family members and I were taking shifts to be in the actual patient room, it would have been nice to be able to go sit in the designated waiting room to take a break, but no such luck. For the entire 4-5 days I was hanging out at the hospital (alternating between being in my sister's room, the downstairs general lobby, the cafeteria, etc.), there was a family essentially camped out in the ICU waiting room.  Not just one or two, but 11 members of the same family, with food, pillows, blankets, etc., up to and including one of them sleeping on the one reclining chair in the waiting room for several hours, snoring away. The room has 14 chairs, and they occupied almost all of them, and had the nerve when I wandered in momentarily looking for a seat, to tell me I needed to be quiet because family member A was asleep now, and she'd been up there for 3 days straight.  While I understand all too well that having a family member in ICU is a stressful situation, people should understand that the waiting room is not their personal waiting room/hotel room. Another family ended up having to go to a much more remote waiting room, simply because this other family refused to budge. To top it off, even if I had simply taken one of the three empty chairs left, this family was in the middle of major ongoing arguments that were very loud, so it would have been impossible to relax. One of them even attempted to draw me into it, by giving a rundown of the various family issues, until I stopped him and said I needed to go. 

I don't even know 11 people much less have 11 family members who would stand vigil in the hospital for me. That's ridiculous. I can understand one to maybe three people (say, spouse/partner or sibling and parent(s)) staying overnight with a patient (but more likely trading shifts), but other than that? People are just joining in on the circus. And how do 11 people get time off from work to hang out around the clock at the hospital?

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, BookWoman56 said:

I have seen this pretty much every time I've been in the ICU/CCU waiting area of our hospital as well.  I realize that the hospital is in a no-win situation, but I think it's their responsibility to fall on their sword, and limit the number of visitors that can populate, no, campout in a waiting area.  

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I don't even know 11 people much less have 11 family members who would stand vigil in the hospital for me. That's ridiculous. I can understand one to maybe three people (say, spouse/partner or sibling and parent(s)) staying overnight with a patient (but more likely trading shifts), but other than that? People are just joining in on the circus. And how do 11 people get time off from work to hang out around the clock at the hospital?

My own feeling is that having someone in ICU is not a spectator sport. Several of them were on their phones berating other family members for not being there; no idea where they thought those other family members would go. If the patient is going to die, then by all means go ahead and let family members say their goodbyes, but don't hang out in the waiting room for days on end like this is some big extended family camping trip.  

@Mindthinkr, the ICU staff were pretty busy, and the waiting room was not technically in ICU but tucked down a hall that didn't see a lot of other traffic. I'd guess that nobody on staff right there noticed what was going on. I did mention it to my niece, who works in a different area of that hospital, and she was planning to alert someone to address the situation. 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

Peeve: people who profess to be nice but aren't. What they really are are mean people who have an aberration into niceness, when they want to cover up the crazy meanness. They will list all the good deeds they do, to lull you into Oh, nice person. Yet when someone puts out a differing opinion, instead of giving a rational, informative response, they allow the mean to come out and you go (horribly stealing from Seinfeld to make an analogy) Oh, you are the worst kind of mean person, the kind who thinks they are nice.

Anyone can be nice. 

Kindness is an entirely different thing. It’s always shitty to find that I’ve confused one with another when evaluating a person, although with age has come the ability to spot the difference more frequently. 

• Love 10
On 3/28/2018 at 1:14 PM, GoodieGirl said:

Pet Peeve: People who reheat strong smelling seafood items in the company microwaves. I would rather smell burnt popcorn than leftover tuna noodle casserole any day! And I like tuna noodle casserole and many other seafood dishes but I would not want to stink up the whole cafeteria with it! Yuck! 

edited because I like "many" other seafood dishes...

We have a girl eats brussel sprouts EVERY DAY.  She puts thrm in our toaster oven and. They. STINK!!!

• Love 5
8 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Peeve: people who profess to be nice but aren't. What they really are are mean people who have an aberration into niceness, when they want to cover up the crazy meanness. They will list all the good deeds they do, to lull you into Oh, nice person.

Amen to that!!! Speaking of which, this same sentiment extends to all those folks who immediately tell you “I’m a Christian” or discuss their church/religion constantly. They really bug the shit out of me—-my otherwise agnostic ass automatically get leery because some of the shittiest and most bigoted/hypocritical people I’ve ever met have claimed to be such “Christian”  church-going folks. I was sent to Catholic school for 12 years and gradually soured against the religion thanks to some of the behavior of those hypocritical bastards, so as soon as I hear “I’m a Christian” or “I go to church weekly”, I already know that the person is using his/her professed religious values as an excuse to be a total asshole otherwise.

8 hours ago, rcc said:

Exactly!!! Like when my husband and I allowed my mom to join us on vacation last year. Every day she loved to gloat to us about how “easygoing” she was and such a “great, fun travel companion.” Meanwhile hubs and I were clenching our teeth in annoyance daily over her demanding diva antics, like not giving us a single moment alone during the day until she went to bed at 10pm, insisting we only eat where SHE wanted to eat, refusing to walk anywhere despite being in good health, and pouting at us if we dared to attempt to go anywhere or do anything on our own. Yep, she was such a darned “easygoing” and “great, fun travel companion” that my husband and I were nearly suicidal after five days of being stuck sharing a beach house with her.

• Love 16
9 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

So true. I've discovered that "interesting" people really aren't, "tough" people are completely thin-skinned (*coughNewYorkerscough*), and "unique, crazy free spirits" are just annoying posers who dress kinda weird. 

• Love 5
On 3/29/2018 at 2:12 PM, Bastet said:

Using DVR as a verb (especially with a damn apostrophe).  "I DVR'd [show]."  Why not just say you recorded it?  Back in the day, we did not say, "I VCRed" something.

The difference, for me, is that back when we would "VCR" something we had recorded a physical copy that we could retain - we still have many  VHS tapes of Mystery Science Theater we recorded way back in the day for example.  Whereas when you DVR something there's no way (that I know of) to retain the copy - you just fill up the DVR and stress out about all the stuff you've recorded and haven't had time to watch but don't want to erase.  We still have all ten episodes of the last season of Fargo clogging up the DVR!     I wish we had been able to "VCR" it  - it would eliminate the pressure  I feel just thinking about ten hours of it sitting unwatched on the DVR.   We know we're going to watch it, eventually,  but it's so hard with our weird schedules to watch everything together so there you go.   

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Malia110 said:

We have a girl eats brussel sprouts EVERY DAY.  She puts thrm in our toaster oven and. They. STINK!!!

Oh man! They are delicious and I love them, but they are a "cook at home" food (that makes even always-cold me open a window in the middle of winter!). If you need to bring them to work, put them in a salad or something else that doesn't need to be reheated!

The difference, for me, is that back when we would "VCR" something we had recorded a physical copy that we could retain - we still have many  VHS tapes of Mystery Science Theater we recorded way back in the day for example.  Whereas when you DVR something there's no way (that I know of) to retain the copy - you just fill up the DVR and stress out about all the stuff you've recorded and haven't had time to watch but don't want to erase.  We still have all ten episodes of the last season of Fargo clogging up the DVR!     I wish we had been able to "VCR" it  - it would eliminate the pressure  I feel just thinking about ten hours of it sitting unwatched on the DVR.   We know we're going to watch it, eventually,  but it's so hard with our weird schedules to watch everything together so there you go.  

Do DVRs still have the "save to VCR" option? Haha, I used to laugh at that!

Edited by TattleTeeny

My mother was the director of volunteers in a large city hospital back in the 60's and 70's so she saw a lot of this OTT visiting in the patients' rooms.  The patients were worn out as they felt obligated to be a part of the socializing when they should've been resting and recuperating.

The cookies are samoas (but I do love somosas!).  Confession:  I once microwaved leftover grilled fish at work (had no idea that was a bad thing to do--never did it before).  I ate the fish & then left to run some errands. When I returned--oy vey!  My co-workers never let me forget what I did (even though I apologized profusely).  They actually were nice and fun people.  I think they enjoyed teasing me about my big mistake (they especially loved reminding me that I left the office after committing such a crime!!)  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I have given it very little thought, but have made a decision anyway. I think DVR can be a verb in the way that Google is a thing but also a verb. 

You'd think I live in Holland with all the windmills I tilt at, but I refuse to use "google" as a verb.  It takes a lot of effort, but I say, "do an internet search for..." instead.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I have given it very little thought, but have made a decision anyway. I think DVR can be a verb in the way that Google is a thing but also a verb. 

Well, I don't like that one, either.  I'm sure it has slipped out, but I like to say, "I searched for/looked up" rather than "I Googled." 

• Love 2

I will use "Googled" if I actually use Google to search, like using "Xeroxed" only if you are using a Xerox copier, but since I only use Google, it's not a problem.

I do, however, use Kleenex regardless of the brand I buy, which is usually not actual Kleenex.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, forumfish said:

"Coke," however, is generic for any cola (as in, let's grab a Coke on our way to the store) and if I'm the one drinking it, it's actually Dr. Pepper.

I remember when I first moved to NC and mentioned going to the soda machine to get a drink, one of the southerners in the room said, "We call it the coke machine".  And she didn't mean "Coca Cola".  Just coke machine as an overall term for soda machine.  I loved how southerners would say, "co-cola" and "ging-ale" (the latter up in Richmond!).

• Love 2
8 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

You'd think I live in Holland with all the windmills I tilt at, but I refuse to use "google" as a verb.  It takes a lot of effort, but I say, "do an internet search for..." instead.

For me, it depends on the circumstance.  I wouldn't say Googled in a business letter, resume, or any formal communication, but wouldn't hesitate to use it in a casual format like a personal email, or here for example.  Know your audience.

4 minutes ago, saoirse said:

True story - I was once asked while living in the south if I wanted Coke coke or Pepsi coke.

By me, it's "pop".

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

By me, it's "pop".

Me too, where I grew up in the Midwest. It always slayed the family that living in the south broke me of the 'pop' habit, but that's what seven years of living in coke-land does to you...

• Love 4
6 hours ago, auntlada said:

I will use "Googled" if I actually use Google to search, like using "Xeroxed" only if you are using a Xerox copier, but since I only use Google, it's not a problem.

I do, however, use Kleenex regardless of the brand I buy, which is usually not actual Kleenex.

I write "Puffs" on the shopping list. I also use the word "google" and I DO use Google. I'm pretty good at searches and will brag about my "google-fu".

• Love 3
On 3/30/2018 at 10:25 AM, stewedsquash said:

Peeve: people who profess to be nice but aren't. What they really are are mean people who have an aberration into niceness, when they want to cover up the crazy meanness. They will list all the good deeds they do, to lull you into Oh, nice person. Yet when someone puts out a differing opinion, instead of giving a rational, informative response, they allow the mean to come out and you go (horribly stealing from Seinfeld to make an analogy) Oh, you are the worst kind of mean person, the kind who thinks they are nice.

And these folks are often those who try to guilt others into sharing confidences with them others aren't ready to share. Remember; sharing confidences is a privilege friends deign to each other if and when they are ready  with no pressure whatsoever NOT an entitlement  for one person  to command via guilt trips,etc. Yes, I've had to learn this one the hard way.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I remember when I first moved to NC and mentioned going to the soda machine to get a drink, one of the southerners in the room said, "We call it the coke machine".  And she didn't mean "Coca Cola".  Just coke machine as an overall term for soda machine.  I loved how southerners would say, "co-cola" and "ging-ale" (the latter up in Richmond!).

As a native North Carolinian, I argue that Richmond isn't in the South. (There are probably Floridians that say North Carolina isn't in the South.) I'd classify Virginia as Mid-Atlantic.

I realize this isn't what we're discussing, but I had to take a pedantic side trip.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, saoirse said:

Me too, where I grew up in the Midwest. It always slayed the family that living in the south broke me of the 'pop' habit, but that's what seven years of living in coke-land does to you...

I am a soda person though I dont know why because I grew up in Seattle which is pop territory. I went to college in the midwest and my friend from Manhattan once accidentally called it pop and it shook him to his core and he just got up and left the dining hall without finishing his meal!

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

As a native North Carolinian, I argue that Richmond isn't in the South. (There are probably Floridians that say North Carolina isn't in the South.) I'd classify Virginia as Mid-Atlantic.

I realize this isn't what we're discussing, but I had to take a pedantic side trip.

Native North Carolinian here as well and I've never considered Richmond to be south.

Edited by Mountainair
  • Love 2

Sorry but I have Virginians in my  family who would very strongly argue that RIchmond the capital city is definitely in the South. I mean, if for no other reason because it's south of Baltimore which is considered by many to be the northernmost city of the South!  Of course one might argue why would those in North Carolina NOT want to consider Virginia to be a southern city.

Although, perhaps one could also argue why would it really be important whether or not one city is in the South if one didn't live in it.

• Love 2

All brown soda is coke to me, even Pepsi.  Tissues are tissues rather than Kleenex, and using the copy machine is copying something rather than Xeroxing, but I do Google things, and use Band-Aids regardless of the brand of adhesive bandage.  I'm not very consistent. Hah.

• Love 1