Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

29 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Oh, and the sister?  I sent an email Sunday night, a reply just to her and the bride (not the mom!) to the bride's email giving the final list of colors, starting off with "Hi, [Sister].  Nice to "meet" you, and I look forward to doing so in person this summer," and telling her I'd be going in the next day to finalize my dress selection, noting that the styles I was looking at all coordinate with the dress she'd opted for (and saying that she looked very nice in it), and thus I'd email the two of them my style selection and color availability when I was done, by which point she'd know her color availability, so we could make a final decision and then place our orders today.

Not a peep.  Ever.  The bride had to text her yesterday, "Are you alive?  If so, what did you find out about color availability?" to get that info.

Sounds to me as though you aren’t the only one already over this wedding. 

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm sure you'll all be relieved to hear I just placed my bridesmaid dress order, and this should be my last wedding-related complaint for a while!

I am looking forward to the followup in June!!

I'm strangely invested in this wedding drama. 

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

They left my town too. Best place to grab a salad for lunch. We now have Panera’s (and it’s not close by) but it’s not the same thing. 

there were two schlotszky's around here, and then one day POOF!  both were gone.  there's only one in the state now, and it's a few hours away, so I haven't had food from there in a while.  their sandwiches and salads were really good.   It seems like a lot of these restaurants saturate an area, then go out of business.  Kind of like Subway sandwiches.  they are EVERYWHERE.  but they're never busy, at least in my area.  Nobody goes to Subway on purpose.  it's just if you're hungry and don't have the money or time to go somewhere else, it's where you end up.  I ended up in a subway recently, and ordered a Caesar wrap - they make it with iceberg lettuce - it wasn't terrible, but it also wasn't a Caesar wrap!   I wasn't expecting anything other than to not be hungry any more, so I guess I can't complain.

There are Panera's everywhere around here.  if you go there, get a rewards card  it is well worth it.  You get a freebie on your birthday, you can earn discounts - and you don't have to go there a lot, believe me.  I get rewards, and I probably go to Panera once or twice a month.   AND -  every once in a while, you get a month of free bagels.  every day during the month, you can get a bagel for free.  (cream cheese is extra $)   I LOVE Panera's Autumn squash soup, that's only available for a few months a year.  

Edited by backformore
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, backformore said:

I am looking forward to the followup in June!!

I'm strangely invested in this wedding drama. 

So am I! I'm going to need a wedding day video diary that incorporates snide comments about everyone.

I'm baffled and incensed at how many people are trying to change the color scheme of another person's wedding.

• Love 8

Now, I'm not a pastel person (this color looks good on me, so no problem for the wedding, but yet another way in which this is a disposable dress), but I am apparently a far more petty person than I thought, because the fact we're wearing light purple dresses nevertheless makes me happy simply because it was the mom's least-favorite color. 

I had lilac dresses for my bridesmaids. I had kind of a unique situation, 1 bridesmaid was 8 months pregnant and 1 was 13 years old. They were simple cotton dresses with a square neckline. The color looked good on all of them . 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I had lilac dresses for my bridesmaids. I had kind of a unique situation, 1 bridesmaid was 8 months pregnant and 1 was 13 years old. They were simple cotton dresses with a square neckline. The color looked good on all of them . 

As far as pastels, lilac does seem to be a color that a lot of people can wear.  

• Love 2

I am bothered, a lot by websites that "track" me.  I ordered some furniture from a store.  To do so, I had to get an account with the store - not a credit card, just to sign in to the website.   SO the other day, I was browsing for some cheap tables, looked at these nesting tables, decided against them. 

And today, I get an email, basically saying "hey, you were looking at these tables, you should buy them!   and here's some more stuff that goes with those tables!"  I hate it.  I don't like when stores do that, it seems like they're saying "we know you were shopping on our site, how naughty of you to not buy anything!"    and they email me EVERY DAY. All I need is for them to contact me about the delivery date - not persuade me to buy MORE.  

I honestly can't wait until I get this office set up so I can unsubscribe to this store's emails.  I think I need to set up a different email account to use for shopping, so I can ignore it if I want.   

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, backformore said:

I am bothered, a lot by websites that "track" me.  I ordered some furniture from a store.  To do so, I had to get an account with the store - not a credit card, just to sign in to the website.   SO the other day, I was browsing for some cheap tables, looked at these nesting tables, decided against them. 

And today, I get an email, basically saying "hey, you were looking at these tables, you should buy them!   and here's some more stuff that goes with those tables!"  I hate it.  I don't like when stores do that, it seems like they're saying "we know you were shopping on our site, how naughty of you to not buy anything!"    and they email me EVERY DAY. All I need is for them to contact me about the delivery date - not persuade me to buy MORE.  

I honestly can't wait until I get this office set up so I can unsubscribe to this store's emails.  I think I need to set up a different email account to use for shopping, so I can ignore it if I want.   

Data mining is out of control.  I guess it's the price for being online.  I don't think I have the aptitude for setting up a VPN, but I sure wish I did.  That comes with some inconveniences as well though.

• Love 1

Can I ask my American friends yet another question?

How do you feel being called a "Yank"? 

For someone who clearly isn't, I do find it rather pejorative and anachronistic, and somehow doesn't feel in keeping with contemporary thinking. Moreover, neither do I like the term "Limey" for much the same reasoning.

I only mention these two examples because of reading an article about American history, and through a friend calling me a "limey" (even though technically I am not British at all). I don't know if people think these terms are some sort of terms of endearment, but personally I really don't like either. Just wondered what you guys thought about being called "Yanks". 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Zola said:

For someone who clearly isn't, I do find it rather pejorative and anachronistic, and somehow doesn't feel in keeping with contemporary thinking. Moreover, neither do I like the term "Limey" for much the same reasoning.

I only mention these two examples because of reading an article about American history, and through a friend calling me a "limey" (even though technically I am not British at all). I don't know if people think these terms are some sort of terms of endearment, but personally I really don't like either. Just wondered what you guys thought about being called "Yanks". 

I don't know that I've ever been called a "yank" in person, but I can't imagine it bothering me. Unless it's said with a sneer or something.

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, Zola said:

Doesn't bother me a bit.  I'm not easily offended.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't know that I've ever been called a "yank" in person, but I can't imagine it bothering me. Unless it's said with a sneer or something.

2 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Doesn't bother me a bit.  I'm not easily offended.

Okay. that's cool. I guess I was reading too much into that. 

Just now, Zola said:

Okay. that's cool. I guess I was reading too much into that. 

FWIW, I wouldn't dream of calling someone a Limey, unless they were a very close friend, and I knew they wouldn't take offense.  That might seem contradictory, but I still wouldn't.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

FWIW, I wouldn't dream of calling someone a Limey, unless they were a very close friend, and I knew they wouldn't take offense.  That might seem contradictory, but I still wouldn't.

Similarly I would never dream of calling an American a yank, whether they approved or didn't mind or whatever. Just feels offensive to me

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Zola said:

I've never been called one but as a New Yorker and a Yankee fan, it wouldn't bother me in the least.   It's actually a compliment imo.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I have never been called a Yank in a derogatory fashion and I have qlways been taught that limey is pejorative.

That said I wouldnt call someone in Boston a Yank!

Ha, ha. I'm actually more of a football fan, but I don't think those of us in "Red Sox Nation" really equate "Yank" in that fashion to the Yankees.  Would you shy away from calling a patriotic Jets fan a Patriot?

1 minute ago, partofme said:

I've never been called one but as a New Yorker and a Yankee fan, it wouldn't bother me in the least.   It's actually a compliment imo.

Oh dear. I really have embarrassed myself. There's me thinking you guys would be offended by the term, and yet you don't seem to mind one bit.

<Zola disappears into her little hole, wishing she had never brought the subject up!>

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Ha, ha. I'm actually more of a football fan, but I don't think those of us in "Red Sox Nation" really equate "Yank" in that fashion to the Yankees.  Would you shy away from calling a patriotic Jets fan a Patriot?

It was a joke. As an Americsn I wouldn't call anyone a Yank since I am also one. As for calling someone the p word, my hatred of the team from Foxboro means I wouldn't call anyone that.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Zola said:

Oh dear. I really have embarrassed myself. There's me thinking you guys would be offended by the term, and yet you don't seem to mind one bit.

<Zola disappears into her little hole, wishing she had never brought the subject up!>

No need to be embarrassed, I liked the question.   It's good to ask questions how else are you going to find out the answers. 

Yank  has also historically meant a Northerner not from the southern US.    

Edited by partofme
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It was a joke. As an Americsn I wouldn't call anyone a Yank since I am also one. As for calling someone the p word, my hatred of the team from Foxboro means I wouldn't call anyone that.

I know it was a joke.  That's why I started off with ha ha. 

I can't imagine why anyone would call me a Yank/Yankee, other than a southerner or Brit doing so as a pejorative, but even though it would be derogatory, and rooted in disturbing nationalism, I get the sense the offender would actually come off as milquetoast to me, and I'd wind up letting out a "Really, that's the best you've got?"-style laugh and dismissing them.  It would be like that time on Law & Order: SVU when season one Benson was interrogating a rapist/murderer and called him a "nosy parker."  Um, okay.  It's an insult, but a lame one, and thus not one that would hurt or even particularly offend me.  Now, that may very well be informed by the fact it's not one that gets lobbed at me, but it's also that there isn't the same power imbalance behind the word as you find with many similar terms.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Zola said:

Shouldn't be embarrassed.  This is a straw poll.  Could be some who would be offended, hard to say, because being offended seems to be a new cottage industry.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 3

I wouldn't have a problem with it either.  Although as a Met fan, I would be offended by being lumped in with Yankee fans. ;-)

Back in college, I was at Air Force ROTC summer training in Charleston, South Carolina.  One of our class instructors, an AF officer from Charleston, had us all introduce ourselves and tell where we were from.  I was sitting next to guy I had gotten to know well, and when he said he was from North Carolina, the instructor jokingly said "You're a Yankee!"  My friend pointed to me and said "No I'm not, he is - he's from New York!"  To which the instructor replied "No, he's a damn Yankee!"

• Love 9
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I have never been called a Yank in a derogatory fashion and I have qlways been taught that limey is pejorative.

That said I wouldnt call someone in Boston a Yank!

Or a southerner.

1 hour ago, forumfish said:

Texan here -- I tend to call anyone from north of the Red River a Yankee. I don't mean it as a bad thing, unless a bunch of 'em decide to move here and add to our traffic problem. Actually, Californians are more to blame, I think. Hee!

My best friend is in NJ and she regularly calls me "Tex" and I call her "Yank." For us, they are terms of endearments.

I wouldn't advise crossing the Red River and using that term. (I'm from Oklahoma.)

To answer the original question, if the term were said without condescencion and in a nice tone of voice and an English accent, a lot of people might like it. If the speaker had a Scottish accent (and were male), he could call me whatever as long as he kept talking.

Edited by auntlada
I rewrote my sentence while posting, but didn't fix the last half.
  • Love 3

So the term "Yank" could be construed as antagonistic depending on if you're a southerner of the USA? Is that correct? I presume therefore, this is due to the consequences of the Civil War back in the day?

All rather fascinating, and I feel I have learnt something this evening.

As for the Scots accent. Doesn't really do much for me, although it depends on what part of Scotland you're referring too. Whenever I drive up north to Scotland to places like Glasgow and Edinburgh, the accents differ quite broadly; and even more so the further north you go.

But give me a female Irish accent (specifically, Waterford or Wexford) and I will be transfixed and totally ensorcelled. 

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Zola said:

So the term "Yank" could be construed as antagonistic depending on if you're a southerner of the USA? Is that correct? I presume therefore, this is due to the consequences of the Civil War back in the day?

Yes, yes, and yes.  Conversely, use of the word "rebel" could meet with equal antagony.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ABay said:

If someone called me a Yank, I'd wonder how I wandered into a movie from the 1940s.

It sounds so affected.

What do you mean, you dumb mug, get your mitts off the marbles before I stuff that mud-pipe down your mush—and tell your moll to hand over the mazuma. ;-)

• Love 10

A southerner once called me a forthright Yankee in a tone of voice that told me exactly how she meant it -- and it wasn't good -- and to be honest, I was fine with it.  As has already been mentioned, it's largely up to the individual how sensitive they want to be. 

I think it's interesting (but not really surprising, I guess) that to most Americans I know, there's one Scottish accent, and it sounds like Sean Connery, but that there are actually different Scottish and Irish accents.  It makes complete sense, but it's something we might not think about a lot.  Or I just hang out with boors, who knows?

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, harrie said:

A southerner once called me a forthright Yankee in a tone of voice that told me exactly how she meant it -- and it wasn't good -- and to be honest, I was fine with it.  As has already been mentioned, it's largely up to the individual how sensitive they want to be. 

I think it's interesting (but not really surprising, I guess) that to most Americans I know, there's one Scottish accent, and it sounds like Sean Connery, but that there are actually different Scottish and Irish accents.  It makes complete sense, but it's something we might not think about a lot.  Or I just hang out with boors, who knows?

I don't know if this is even remotely accurate as an accent, but it will always be my favorite comedy routine.  NSFW - Language

I used to live in Scotland and still love the accent even though I’m an American. I could tell people apart by how they sounded and even when in Gatwick could say “Oh, your from...” and I was usually right. You are making me homesick. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I was sitting next to guy I had gotten to know well, and when he said he was from North Carolina, the instructor jokingly said "You're a Yankee!"  My friend pointed to me and said "No I'm not, he is - he's from New York!"  To which the instructor replied "No, he's a damn Yankee!"

I sure heard that a lot in NC (being a native New Yorker).  Southerners don't like being called yanks when in Europe. The rest of us don't mind.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 1

Give me strength. A couple has moved in to the apartment that is adjacent to mine on my bedroom side. The female half of the couple cackles at the top of her lungs every two minutes. I think a single guy just moved in downstairs, too. (The pot smoker moved out!!!) This place has metaphorical revolving doors.

I had to renew my lease and was able to get the management/ownership down from a $40/month increase to a $20/month increase. I've been here four years and two months, and my rent has increased $185 over that time, including the renewal rate. I feel like that's a lot, but I'm still paying a good rate for my city. The condition of the property and my unit...ehhhhh...not so much.

I'm having maintenance come tomorrow and look for the birds that live in the dryer vent in the wall. I figured out that's where they have to be because when I use the dryer, it's very humid and lint blows back into my laundry closet. It's a huge fire hazard. I told the management that they need to contact someone who knows how to safely extract and relocate the birds. I'm going to be very interested in how this unfolds.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, harrie said:

Next time a southerner calls you that, just say, "Yeah, we won, you lost, get over it."

• Love 15
9 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I had to renew my lease and was able to get the management/ownership down from a $40/month increase to a $20/month increase. I've been here four years and two months, and my rent has increased $185 over that time, including the renewal rate. I feel like that's a lot, but I'm still paying a good rate for my city. The condition of the property and my unit...ehhhhh...not so much.

Oh wow. I've been living at my place for four years and four months-and my rent has only increased twice. The second year was an $11 increase; no increase the third year, and when I just renewed, it an increase of $16. But I live in an apartment complex. I'm fortunate that all utilities are included and the only out of pocket expense I have is putting money on a card for the laundry machines/dryers. Of course, I didn't know that there were apartments that had them inside the units when I signed up initially. I might have gotten one of those if I'd known.

On 3/20/2018 at 5:27 PM, bilgistic said:

So am I! I'm going to need a wedding day video diary that incorporates snide comments about everyone.

I'm baffled and incensed at how many people are trying to change the color scheme of another person's wedding.

Ditto. Reading everything you've been having to deal with @Bastet, in retrospect, my own wedding (many moons ago/arranged marriage in India) seems like a cake walk. I guess one of the things I appreciate about being Indian is that there aren't any bridesmaids or maid/matron of honors to deal with. And even if someone who has an Indian wedding in the States, wants to change it up and have her closest friends as such, there's no such thing as all of them having the same color sari. For us, the bridal wedding dress is red. So the friends can where any jewel color-dark green, maroon, purple, etc.

For me? since I was in India, it was traditional all the way. I was the daughter of the oldest son, so ALL of my dad's relatives and ALL of my mom's relatives, and our friends who lived in India, attended. Total was about 750 people (including the groom's family and friends). At the Height of Summer. That year, it was the hottest India had ever been==over 110 degrees. Fortunately, it was at night. Anyhoo, since I don't have blood brothers, my first cousin and my godmother's oldest son, who's like a brother to me in all ways that count, walked with me to the mandap (where the priest and the fire enclosed in a square with wood) and where I sat down. I won't bog you with the details or the process. Let's just say, I hadn't been able to sleep for a week prior, and that night, with the sari changes (Yes, one for the garland ceremony, one for the main ceremony (where I wore red), and another for the reception (which was the WORST. because the sari was made of HEAVY SILK and kept weighing me down), it was a nightmare, smiling. I really thought my smile would freeze on my face, because I swear, at the end, I don't think I could move my face. Suffice it to say, the marriage was annulled because he was a lying, scheming, charlatan who only married me to obtain a green card. I hold myself partly responsible because I knew we weren't right for each other, but I caved to family pressure--thinking, my parents, godparents, grandparents had had arranged marriages and they turned out great. Forgetting the ONE critical factor: that they had grown up in the same society/country, whereas I was/and am an American, and he was not. Plus a host of other things.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread.

So I, along with the others here, want to know every detail of this wedding!

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Next time a southerner calls you that, just say, "Yeah, we won, you lost, get over it."

Oh boy...I would've loved saying this but didn't dare (since I lived and worked there).  

@GHScorpiosRule: It was interesting reading your wedding tale of woe.  I could feel the misery of you sitting in that horrendous heat, in those heavy silks. I probably would've passed out.  I remember the first time I heard about the huge weddings in India (from a co-worker who was heading home for a wedding).  He said there would be 5,000 people at the wedding. I was stunned. Here we think a big wedding is 400 people.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I'm having maintenance come tomorrow and look for the birds that live in the dryer vent in the wall. I figured out that's where they have to be because when I use the dryer, it's very humid and lint blows back into my laundry closet. It's a huge fire hazard. I told the management that they need to contact someone who knows how to safely extract and relocate the birds. I'm going to be very interested in how this unfolds.

The exciting saga continues. The maintenance man came by this morning and said my dryer hose has a hole in it, which is part of why I'm getting lint and moisture inside when I use the dryer. I can't see it (too short to see over the back of the dryer), but I believe him. Here's the problem: he/they won't help me replace it because I own the dryer--some liability issue. So I've got to coordinate moving the dryer out of the laundry closet and unhooking/replacing the hose with them coming to blow out the vent and remove the birds.

The closet is literally only big enough for the washer and dryer and has bifold doors with a track on the floor. So I don't know how I'm supposed to move my dryer out of the closet by myself. I have no friends or family here, and I really don't want to pay $50 or $60 for a tech to come out and do it. The maintenance crew and management won't schedule a call, either, so I just have to put in a call and wait for them to come, so I could theoretically wait all day. This is a real pain in the ass.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 5
On 3/19/2018 at 4:30 PM, MargeGunderson said:

If you wear khaki pants and a red shirt in Target, that’s on you.

I learned a lesson when I wore a light blue oxford shirt and navy khaki pants in an H-E-B grocery store.  The only thing I was missing was the name tag.  And it was at a crappy location in a bad part of town, so real employees were few and far between. 

On 3/20/2018 at 7:57 PM, forumfish said:

Re: Schlotszky's -- those of you who lost it aren't missing much, sadly. The quality just isn't what it was back before they had financial problems and got bought and sold and bought again. Now they are part of a "restaurant family" of brands, so there ya go. Back when it was still locally owned, there wasn't a better sandwich in Austin than the Original. I've never had a true muffaleta, but I'm told these were pretty darn close.

Yes, Schlotzsky's is a sad saga.  The problem I encountered over the last few years was consistency from location to location.  Some were fine, and some were not, even in the same city.  But it's been my impression that they've improved quite a bit in the last year or two, or maybe I'm coincidentally hitting the ones that have always been good.  But I've detected a noticeable improvement.

But this brings up a peeve of mine, which I know is unique to me but it still really bugs.  I don't live in a fixed place, and instead travel around, usually with a lot of flexibility.  Why can't retail chains put up a map of every location they have, for perusing?  You can search for locations on their websites, but you have to enter a city or zip code, and it will bring up locations, but only in a certain radius, plus they don't necessarily tell you what the radius is. 

I know that these days, everybody just wants to click on their phone for restaurants within 50 feet of where they're currently standing, but if I'm traveling somewhere and there are two routes that I can use, one of which takes me past a Schlotzsky's location, I'll pick that one.  But I can do that only if I know it's there, and it takes a lot of time to enter city names one after the other (or worse, zip codes) to try to figure out if there are any locations on my route. 

I know it can't be hard or expensive for them to generate a map that has a pin for every location in the country.  They can keep their "what's right around me" interface, but why not add a link for a nationwide map for those who would like to use it?

I've figured out some workarounds.  Like use Bangor, Maine, just to see what kind of results you'll get, to determine how the website comes up with its locations.  Rudy's BBQ, for example, says the closest locations to Bangor are Oklahoma City; Norman, OK; and Tyler, Texas.  Seattle, Washington?  That yields Greeley, Colorado; Colorado Springs; and Goodyear, AZ.  So apparently they give you three locations, and there probably aren't any locations northeast-ish of Oklahoma City, or northwest-ish of Denver.  But look what it took for me to figure out what a map could give me instantly.  And repeat the process for every restaurant I'm looking for, tweaking my method for each site. 

Some of them, if there are no locations near the one you give (however they secretly define "near"), will have a link to "all" locations.  It's usually a list and not a map, but at least it's comprehensive, and gives me the opportunity to learn all the individual towns that comprise the Los Angeles area.  Yay.  I guess.

Thank you, Chuy's Mexican restaurant.  You're not huge yet, and you'll probably betray me when you are, but for now, right there on your website is a map of the United States with pins at each location AND a list, alphabetized by state, down the side.  If you would just serve your original salsa in locations outside of Texas, I would marry you.

• Love 3

My annoying next door neighbor is complaining that he has bugs in his kitchen (our kitchens are adjacent to each other)  so I was informed that I need to be home tomorrow to let the exterminator inspect my unit as well. Even though I've never seen a bug in the 5 years I've been living here,so presumably my cats do any exterminating for me.

So now I have to use up a vacation day for no reason. I am pissed. I am also concerned that the pest control stuff will pose a risk to my cats. This is the same neighbor that comes onto his front porch every time I sit on mine, and smokes his cigarettes, and lets the smoke waft in my direction. I think I am going to talk to her about the smoking issue if she comes by tomorrow with exterminator.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 7

The last (only) time I had pest control done inside my apartment was after Bilgisticat died and before I got my current two cats. I was told to stay out of my place for several hours, so if I were you, I'd quarantine your cats to the bathroom for several hours during and after the spraying. Go run errands or something and let your neighbor listen to your cats howl about their incarceration. If he complains, tell him why you had to keep them in the bathroom. And that he smells like an ashtray amd his teeth are yellow.

• Love 4

I'd take my cats to a pesticide free zone - even if I had to board them, and would worry about the residue until the end of days.

I am ever so lucky to own a hovel in a relatively pest (ergo pesticide) free location.  There are enough chronic diseases and old age trying to kill my cats without having to worry about chemical toxins.  ;-)

• Love 7
8 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

My annoying next door neighbor is complaining that he has bugs in his kitchen (our kittens are adjacent to each other)  so I was informed that I need to be home tomorrow to let the exterminator inspect my unit as well. Even though I've never seen a bug in the 5 years I've been living here,so presumably my cats do any exterminating for me.

I want to start a band named "Adjacent Kittens"!

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Popples said:

I want to start a band named "Adjacent Kittens"!

LMAO that's what I get for posting at 2am after a long shift at work (I'm an animal control officer). HAH! I edited...thank you!

• Love 6

UPDATE: 

The loud mouth I work with keeps leaving pubes on the toilet seat and announcing when she has to take a dump. 

Its bad enough she's noisy and bitchy as hell but this is also revolting. She has absenteeism and it's always some sob story or issue with her kids truancy or tickets.

He manager and other girl eat that shit up and even buy her lunch and fuss over her. I guess I'm the BITCH for not being snowed or thinking it's cute or cool. I'm sorry I'm not disgusting and show up on time daily and don't bring my personal problems to the job. Silly me! 

(Also they don't use her sick time for her missing or 3 hour breaks. I came early hour and left hour early a couple x for a family matter and got a rash of shit and denial for it. It's nice to see fair standards). 

• Love 6

We were talking about vacuums a few days ago. I just vaccuumed and was reminded how astoundingly terrible my vacuum is (Hoover upright red plastic piece of shit). I would like to drop if off a tall building.

I live in an 800-square-foot apartment and it takes half an hour to vacuum because I have to go over everything three to 10 times. Half of the time, it spits back out more cat hair and dirt than it just picked up.

I need to start a GoFundMe for a new vacuum.

• Love 2