Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E02: Week 2

• Start Topic

still find Chris attractive (although there is something weird about his mouth). Loved the blue hoodie he wore on the first group date. Blue is definitely his color. But yes i'm getting a sleazy vibe from him. Mckenzie is straight up stupid and not a good mama to leave her poor kid at home to get her 15 minutes of fame. I have a son who just turned one a few months ago and aside from leaving him when I go to work every day, I can't imagine not seeing him for a weekend much less possibly a few months! That's insane. She's too young and too immature for Chris. I thought Kimberly was prettier than some of the others he kept. Not sure why he dismissed her but I'm sure he had his reasons.

Once again, I hate all the sob stories. I'm sorry these women had to go through this but you are not going to win a guy over blubbering about how hard it is that your dad passed away or your husband killed himself.  Don't like how the girl who claims she's a virgin and never even had a boyfriend threw herself at him. How can you be 26 years old and never have a boyfriend? Very strange. Ashley S should have been gone but I get it. the producers want her around because she's nuts.  Some of these women are WAY older than they claim. THey have to be! Whitney and Katrina or whatever her name is looked to be in their 40's. Even Mckenzie does not look 21. I didn't even know there was a girl named Tracy or Carli.

I feel bad for Chris that he has to "act" so nice to everyone even cray cray Ashley but imo he really doesn't care how these girls feel because he makes out with others in front of them, he gave Brit that note but then gave another girl the rose after he'd just finished making out with Brit. That had to sting.

• Love 2
I'm wondering what century Mackenzie is living in to think that a 33 year old man actually wants to deflower a virgin.

We are currently in the 21st century, so Mackenzie could be living in any one of the 21 centuries for that to be true. Someone mentioned Harlequin Romance novels with regards to this particular situation. Trust me, for men this one would warrant a letter to Penthouse Forum. Don't mean to be crude, but sometimes bluntness is the best way to get a point across. 

Edited by reggiejax

It was a deleted scene from this week. It was when the second group date card arrived and they were getting ready to read who was on it. She was completely passed out so eventually they just read it and figured they'd let her know if she was on it, when she woke up.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I don't understand how Jordan could have been eliminated when they showed her drunk/asleep/unable-to-be-awakened in the previews for next week. Or was that an out-take, deleted scene from this week?

Yeah, that was the closing out-take scene from this week, not a preview. But, truly, the entire episode seemed like it was filled with "out-takes"--all of these drunk girl scenes that had nothing to do with the dates! It almost seems like the producers/editors had so much fun with Bachelor in Paradise that now they're editing this show like Bachelor in Paradise. Don't get me wrong, I looooooooooove Bachelor in Paradise. But I still like it that this show trys to keep Bachelor/ette Right Reasons. It's Bachelor Nation's inside joke to be watching it for the Wrong Reasons--but, yet, they're almost giving me TOO MUCH Wrong Reasons here! I mean, come on! It's making me think less of Chris S. that he would keep the likes of Pomegranate Ashley and some of these other drunken crazies around. I get the point that he has more roses to give than women that he's actually interested in, and the producers will encourage him to keep the people who make for the best TV. But, you'd think he'd put his foot down and say that keeping Pomegranate Ashley is going to make HIM look bad because there's no possible way I'd be interested in her by the way she's acting. Like, I'm here for the Right Reasons and exploiting her is nothing but Wrong Reasons. It's reached the point where she's way past a "crazy contestant" that we can laugh at. This woman is having serious hallucinations and she's either on an illicit drug or mixing prescribed medication with alcohol or something and she needs SERIOUS medical intervention here! The fact that the show is not only not getting her checked out but instead encouraging Chris to keep her on so that we can exploit and laugh at whatever she hallicinates about next week is just BEYOND Wrong Reasons that it's making Bachelor in Paradise's exploitation of its contestants (and cameraman or whatever counting Ryan Putz), look pretty damn Right Reasons in comparison. I didn't think this show could ever go too far IMO, but, I think it's going to far with Ashley. Get this girl to a hospital for a psych eval/drug test immediately!

• Love 5

Right. The final credits scene is just about always a funny moment from that week of filming.

It's making me think less of Chris S. that he would keep the likes of Pomegranate Ashley and some of these other drunken crazies around. I get the point that he has more roses to give than women that he's actually interested in, and the producers will encourage him to keep the people who make for the best TV.

I suspect there was a "one for us, one for you" negotiation in which he wanted to eliminate both Ashley S. and Jordan but had to settle for only one this week. It sickens(!!) me that Jordan is the one who had to go, but that's beside the point.

Edited by Bugs Meany

Ashley S. is obviously a producer pick. We'll probably see her on Bachelor in Paradise, mark my words. Like, come on now. People who watch this show, especially the male edition, and truly believe the lead is in it to find love need to really look at their lives and choices. They are here to famewhore and hook up. If they do find love then it's a bonus. Ironically enough, the one I truly believe was in it to find love was Brad and we know how he got raked over the coals for not picking someone and then he got fooled by Emily and her fake hair/boobs/teeth into picking her. Even Sean, one of the biggest famewhores of them all, wanted to promote his business that flopped. 

About the episode? I still think Chris eating Kim Kardashian Lite's tonsils out is gross. Like, they were almost straddling each other in front of the other women. That is so nasty. I would've walked away after that. No thanks.

• Love 1

I'm 27 and haven't had sex yet. No religious reasons or saving myself, it just hasn't happened. I've had boyfriends and one longer relationship but we never had sex. I have a career, friends, a dog, nice apartment in a city. I would hope that a 33 year old wouldn't pass on a relationship with me just because I haven't had sex.

That said, I thought it was very odd that Mackenzie was so enamored by Ashley I. being a virgin. I also doubt that a guy would get that excited to "deflower" her. It shouldn't be a door prize. Maybe a guy would like that his wife had only slept with him but I wouldn't call that being so excited.

I'd say that Ashley Hebert (small, cute, dentist) was in it to find love. After the show she & JP went back to normal life, Ashley went back to UPenn & finished dental school. They're normal people with a new baby.

Edited by jb0495
  • Love 15

Once again, DVR FF makes the show somewhat coherent even if the contestants aren't.

CH contradicted himself along with the producers and the entire premise of the show ie the RC when he declared 'there are no rules' and that Kimberley could be brought back.  Her reprieve was short-lived, however.

Someone somewhere once remarked that this show relies on Stockholm Syndrome as well as the primal herd instinct.  Obviously they don't show much of the boring downtime at the house - except when a girl is getting smashed and risking a broken neck - but the bonding is there even though they're competing.  They all want a husband, want to win, etc. but they had better keep in mind that a move to the hinterlands is part and parcel of the outcome.

The age/maturity gap is just too much with Mackenzie.  It was strictly a big brother/little sister thing and her lines of conversation could not have been more disastrous vis-a-vis the endgame.

Ashley I aka the Virgin is rough as guts, as the New Zealanders say, along with Jillian.  We know based on the season-long teaser reel that Ashley I has a meltdown which confirms she will advance to the midpoint (?).  The lashes and the grouper mouth are too too much.

The girls got the shock of their lives when their natural curiosity about Juelia's background led to her revelations.  Kelsey, ever graceful and elegant, locked eyes with her and said 'I'm sorry' and really meant it, having been through similar tragedy albeit not intentional.

The 'paintball' guns appeared to be anything but since we didn't see blobs of paint on any person, zombie or surface.  More Safety Nazi nonsense?  Amber the bartender was quite practiced and deliberate in taking a shot of booze to steady her nerves.  She's coming into contention a bit.

The less said about Ashley S the better. An act, drugs, drink, psychosis or all the above?  If it was Chris' choice to keep her than more fool him.

Megan carried on a tradition of sorts from Lacy - vacuous with a limited vocabulary but some serious artillery, enhanced or otherwise.  I was surprised she was a 1:1 choice this early and that Chris seems smitten with her - perhaps with his redundant amazing/incredible/stunning voiceovers he may be in her IQ range after all.

Britt has created her own problems to some degree....they are so obviously locked in that a RC rose is a given (to quote Ashley I, who at least is no dummy in handicapping the field) and Chris feels he has the latitude to give a rose to someone else in order to ease the pressure on him later.  Typical bloke!  Britt was first out of the limos, first rose at the RC and is on cruise control. Britt either has natural tactile skills or has had a good teacher.  If you watch closely you can see her always giving his neck, ears, or head a scratch or a rub and speaking on behalf of the male race that will send the electricity shooting down the spine and on to more delicate areas every time. Some girls literally don't realize they're doing it which makes it even more arousing.

Samantha's ice-blue eyes are hypnotic but she has been strictly in the background along with Tracy who seems like a contender if she could only get a moment. With a different Bachelor Sam might well be a favorite but it's not looking promising so far.  Hoping she'll stay around for a bit.

Chris obviously responds to Kaitlyn's earthy tomboy routine.  There's still something about her that's a bit off-putting though and others have noted that she may go Full Catfight in future.

Whitney looks and acts like she's waiting for a load of laundry to finish. All business to the point of coldness.  Maybe that fertility nursing has made her cynical about the whole process?  We've certainly seen her scheming type before.

In all, a bit of a weak episode with far too much time devoted to a couple of girls making fools of themselves.

Next week:  a celebrity tie-in with an ABC show.  Groan.

Edited by Rainsong
  • Love 3

I was thoroughly disgusted by the bikini tractor "race." I'm guessing Kubota was, too, since all of the tractor manufacturer identification was masked out on all the orange (Kubota) tractors. Then what, they had the transmissions stuck into first gear so Chris could make fun of them? I'm saying one of those Kubotas could get up to 40 mph or more. Chris sitting there watching all 'his girls' riding tractors in barely (pun) any clothes was so sexist, then making all the women walk down the street in bikinis while Chris had on shorts to his knees and a jacket? Please. I was waiting for Chris to do what cattle judges do at the state fair when they select best feeder steer ... walk up and slap the winning b-ette on the ass. "I choose you, you have the best rump in the group."

Then afterward they all sit on freaking STRAW BALES set in a LA street? Please. This show is reaching.

Chris keeps Onion Girl? Producer driven, for sure. Plus she was the last MOST DRAMATIC choice.

Tara, with all your tears and feeling sorry for yourself THs, I thought for a while you were auditioning for the next Hollywood acting gig.

Kelp's mom was so crazy at that dinner, talking about aliens. Chris's TH says she's weird, then says she's SO interesting. WTH? Make  up your mind, Chris.

If I were in that limo being "attacked" by zombies, Chris would have gotten my foot in his face when he surprise-opened the door and stuck his head in.

Shooting zombies would have been fun, but what happened to the three-person teams? I also would have taken the opportunity to paint-ball some of the other women. And Chris's ass. Which, I guess, is why I'll never be on that show.

• Love 11

It never ceases to amaze me how people who have seen this show make the same old mistakes (like getting really really drunk on camera). And even more amazing is how someone who has been on this show does things that can ONLY backfire on him (like kissing the other women in front of TB-ettes! Much less going all "Juan Pablo" eventually as the previews suggest).

This isn't the first season of this show! How do women not know it's a bad idea to keep drinking until you make a fool of yourself? And how does any Bachelor not know that making out with many women from the beginning (1) makes him look like a tool and (2) stirs up jealousy or revulsion and disinterest where they decide "he's not for me after all"?

Chris, especially, should know better. He has so many past "bachelor PR" to learn from, but has already waayyy out done even Blob in the tacky "I'm making out with everyone ASAP" department! That is not a record you want!

• Love 1

I'm 27 and haven't had sex yet. No religious reasons or saving myself, it just hasn't happened. I've had boyfriends and one longer relationship but we never had sex. I have a career, friends, a dog, nice apartment in a city. I would hope that a 33 year old wouldn't pass on a relationship with me just because I haven't had sex.

That said, I thought it was very odd that Mackenzie was so enamored by Ashley I. being a virgin. I also doubt that a guy would get that excited to "deflower" her. It shouldn't be a door prize. Maybe a guy would like that his wife had only slept with him but I wouldn't call that being so excited.

I'm with you. This might be TMI, but I was well into my twenties when I lost my virginity to my SO who was already a bit into his thirties at the time. It was never an issue to him one way or the other. When I expressed some nervousness about my lack of experience, he'd just say the point of sex is the person you have it with, not the sex itself, so it doesn't matter. At the time I actually wished he was more excited about the fact he was my first, because it was a big-ish deal to me, but now looking back I really admire him for being so neutral about the whole thing. Men who specifically want a virgin are usually creeps and/or hypocrites, so I certainly wouldn't want to be with one. But I don't have any more respect for men who would pass up on a virgin, because if you're looking for a serious relationship, then you have the rest of your lives to practice. Being a virgin doesn't automatically make one frigid and sex isn't rocket science despite what some people like to think.

Ashley I. however, seems rather dim, so I wouldn't blame anyone for passing up on her.

• Love 8

Didn't she also bang the helmet against a brick wall? I was split-screening with the national championship game so I wasn't entirely clear what was happening there.

Megan reminds me of the actress who played Juliet from LOST. She has a very pretty face and is well stacked but I'm just not sure it's all there upstairs. Was that not the longest way to tell someone your dad died?! And then to be like "Let's make out!"

"Do you believe in aliens?" juuuust edged out "You have a big nose" as worst first date fodder. Mackenzie yikes.

I felt so bad for Chris when Ashley interrupted his TH. She is so batshit and it had to have taken a lot to be that nice to her. I think he was genuinely concerned for her safety. "You don't want to lose your soul but you don't want to gain your soul." Chris: "That's a fact" LOL

I loved Jillian falling because I'm 12.

Juelia? Horrible spelling. Her story was incredibly sad and none of these rubes were capable of having an appropriate response.

Edited by Kbilly
  • Love 3

Yay- A Seinfeld reference!  Here's another: The only thought that crossed my mind when the ladies were riding the tractors in their bathing suits was if they'd get gonorrhea.

This make me laugh so loud, I woke up my dogs.

and the big nose thing was like something a lot of people say on a date about the other person's eyes or hands or whatever.

THAT was some uncomfortable talk since I'm guessing Chris is familiar with "Big nose, big hose" and "Big feet, big meat." Not something one SHOULD talk about on a first date, especially one televised to the entire nation.

The Grand Canyon date ... even if it was on the western edge of the most beautiful part, if someone flew me there on a date, I'd be IN LURVE forever. That's my favorite place in the entire world.

Wow, I'm impressed all you guys know everyones' names. I don't have a clue who is whom yet. Plus it's impossible for me to read the occupations that TPTB display in white lettering on a yellow background. The heck? Try using a red background you dorks. Not everyone has HDTV.

Whitney is from Chicago but has a southern accent. Does anyone know her real story? Like, where is she REALLY from.

Edited by saber5055

Chris doesn't have a big nose. It's just thrown into prominence by his tiny little ears. He was all Like "WTF"? Beavis is making fun Of my nose?

I can't express how delighted Ashley made me by wanting to turn friendly fire on these bees. It looked like she was all nonplussed during the time of the car attack and was opening the door to get out and into the great wide open.

Kaitlyn or whatever has a weird mouth and her sarcasm is getting old already. Almost as old as the the dried up blondes I mentioned earlier.

Who is Samantha? Did this beautiful and seemingly sane woman just wander on set?

Drunk Jordan is a boss, what with standing up that drunk with that hair. Too bad she's gone, since she's hilarious and looks like Tara Reid before TR got body snatched by a sea hag.

Britt is so photogenic it's damn near painful.

Whitney did indeed have something of the south in her accent. I don't think Chicagoans say "Ahwa" for Iowa.

Edited by Mu Shu
  • Love 1

Re the motorcycle helmet: It's a stretch to say Megan was "banging it" against the wall. It was more of a robust tap. I'm sure the helmet's good to go.

Whitney is from Chicago but has a southern accent. Does anyone know her real story? Like, where is she REALLY from.

Kentucky, I remember reading.

Edited by Bugs Meany
  • Love 1
The less said about Ashley S the better. An act, drugs, drink, psychosis or all the above?  If it was Chris' choice to keep her than more fool him.

The thought crossed my mind that she was disappearing to go off and take a hit of ecstasy or something similar.  But what do I know? 

My other thought was that she reminded me, during one of her monologues, of the SNL character, "The girl you wish you hadn't started a  conversation with at a party" (look up the videos if you haven't seen it)   I was waiting for her to call Chris "Seth" . 

• Love 2

Just to clarify, I find nothing wrong with or objectionable to any person choosing to NOT have sex before marriage, no matter their age.   It's all good, and totally a personal choice. 

My point was that Mackenzie was telling Ashley I. that the fact of her virginity would be a sure-fire turn on for Chris, or words to that effect.  Mackenzie wanted that "hook" with Chris, but of course she has a child, so obviously that ship sailed.

I haven't heard any references or conversations, either in Andi's season or this one, where Chris in any way indicated that sexual inexperience/purity/virginity was catnip to him.  With his conservative background, I bet that any hint of that would have been dragged out by the producers and exploited with every second of video.    

• Love 1

I found it suspicious that Prince Farming's date card handwriting looked remarkably similar to the handwriting of previous Bachelors.

Since I have worked more years than I want to admit in graphic design, I am sure there is a template set up for the date cards in Quark Express (or something similar), with a type style like Bradley Hand Script, which the interns feed through the printer. 

ETA:  Whitney is originally from Kentucky??  Damn we just can't get a break.  Thank gawd for the Wildcats!!

Edited by KYBlonde
  • Love 2

Yeah, leighdear, that was my point exactly. If Chris was so interested in sexual inexperience it would have been exploited.

Maybe Mackenzie was saying that because SHE wished she could still say she was a virgin and/or a 21 year old without a child.

• Love 5

Is it just me, or does it look like Chris has a bit of a beer gut going on? I think they were trying to hide it by not showing his torso below the moobs much, but it's visible in that hoodie pic in the recap. Maybe working out doesn't suit his body type, because I don't remember paying attention it during Andi's season.

• Love 1

I'll have to rewatch -- I was doing other things and totally missed the helmet bashing.

I would have hated the tractor bikini date. Really? How is that a good time for the women?

Mesa Verde! What was with the Mesa Verde callouts by nutty Ashley? Who is either high on illicit drugs or meds, for damned sure. Was that the name of the zombie park?

ETA: I was a virgin until I met my now-husband, I was 23, he was 30. While we watched, I asked him if he thought it was a big deal, he said he'd never heard of it being a thing, it certainly wasn't to him at the time. But then, he's not a creeper who objectifies women, either, and can't speak for them. ITA that it was very weird how much of a plus MacKenzie thought it would be for Ashley I. to let it be known she was a virgin. Way OTT. Maybe she's just regretting not remaining a virgin and instead ending up 19 and pregnant. God knows she also way overdramatized her Big Reveal of having a kid. You'd think she was about to say she was dying of cancer or something. I agree it's ridiculous how she was treating him like baggage, and the counterpoint ridiculousness of motherhood automatically granting on her a special status of how loving and giving she is by Chris. (I say this as a mom). Most women are capable of popping out a kid, doesn't make us saints. 

Which brings me to... "She's not wife material." Oh rilly? According to who, skankette? Can't recall who said it (I have to rewatch), but some chick says it every season, and it's so gaggy.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 2

Yay- A Seinfeld reference! Here's another: The only thought that crossed my mind when the ladies were riding the tractors in their bathing suits was if they'd get gonorrhea.

The Seinfeld it reminded me of was, "Good naked and bad naked." I figure tractor naked (or almost naked) is sort of like kitchen naked and not so good. I feel sorry for them when they have to sit down, on camera I their bikinis. Like me, a little pooch of stomach pops out that doesn't show up when they're standing.

Kaitlyn or whatever has a weird mouth

And that Pepto Bismal pink lipstick she favors doesn't help it.

Remembering the girls in their bikinis reminded me of Tara's legs in her cowboy boots. She does not have trouble getting men.

• Love 1
Is it just me, or does it look like Chris has a bit of a beer gut going on? I think they were trying to hide it by not showing his torso below the moobs much, but it's visible in that hoodie pic in the recap.

Didn't really notice but that might explain his weird fitting pants. Seriously, the shot of him leaving the place he's staying, heading up to the cocktail party, I was completely distracted by his pants. They were very awkwardly short which makes no sense since these people get a wardrobe budget and most of their stuff is tailored for them. 

Is it just me, or does it look like Chris has a bit of a beer gut going on? I think they were trying to hide it by not showing his torso below the moobs much, but it's visible in that hoodie pic in the recap. Maybe working out doesn't suit his body type, because I don't remember paying attention it during Andi's season.

I, too, noticed that when they were showing Chris get in the shower, it looked like he had a beer gut from the side, but then from there on they only showed chest up. Yet, he looked okay in the pool scene. However, he could have been hiding some "muffin top" under the water, and he looks fine clothed. I mean, I think he has a more realistic body type than the typical Bachelor and would even be considered in "good shape" compared to the average Joe on the street. We've just been accustomed to Adonis-type washboard abs in the gratitous shower scenes: Juan Pablo, Sean, Brad, anyone whose season was "named" such as "On the Wings of Love" and "An Officer and a Gentleman," etc. This is Chris AFTER Cody moved to Iowa to train him to get him in shape for these shower scenes, so I don't think he was really in shape before then, yet his "shape" in any state is/was certainly better than blobish Bob or sickly Ben.

Edited by JenE4

I have never heard of zombie paintball before, it actually looks like fun.   Kind of like a live video game.  I assume teams compete to see how may zombies they shoot.  I have heard that being shot with a paintball can HURT, especially at close range. Maybe that is why they had a game where they shoot at zombies, not at each other. 

Ashley was being an idiot when she was going around shooting zombies who were already down.  Did she think they were real zombies?   I felt bad for the actors portraying the zombies who are supposed to stay down and "play dead"  and then someone comes by and keeps shooting them. 

• Love 2

I have never heard of zombie paintball before, it actually looks like fun.   Kind of like a live video game.  I assume teams compete to see how may zombies they shoot.  I have heard that being shot with a paintball can HURT, especially at close range. Maybe that is why they had a game where they shoot at zombies, not at each other. 

Ashley was being an idiot when she was going around shooting zombies who were already down.  Did she think they were real zombies?   I felt bad for the actors portraying the zombies who are supposed to stay down and "play dead"  and then someone comes by and keeps shooting them. 

I guess she watched too much Walking Dead and knows only a good headshot keeps 'em down? I felt bad for the zombie actors, too.

Man, it looks like a blast, though. SO much better than bikini tractor. I kept thinking of wet swimsuit chafing, but there probably wasn't enough material down there for that to be an issue. 

Like another poster said, I didn't see any paintballs flying during the zombie shoot. I think it was all for show and no paintballs were harmed during that segment. That kept down any legal repercussions from someone shooting Chris's eye out.

If Chris was so interested in sexual inexperience it would have been exploited.

You mean like, oh, I don't know ... SEAN? The Born Again Virgin? Not that we ever heard anything about that or his wedding night or anything. It wasn't even mentioned this season on the Red Carpet by Chris H.

About Chris's build: Most farmers are in pretty good shape, not carrying a lot of weight, look real good in jeans. And look really sexy driving a tractor. But Chris had to get in Hot Tub Shape for his season, hence Cody, a guy whose job is to have, show off and train six packs. Most "regular" guys just have regular builds whether they are carrying extra weight or not. And yeah, that "beer gut" thing happens first. Sorry all you men out there. It just does.

I was all turned around this season from thinking Chris was sincere to thinking he's a D-List wannabe. THEN he goes and does that TH: "She's smart, beautiful, talented ... Why the hell is she here for me?"

That was pretty endearing and flopped me back to falling for his being sincere in his *cough* journey for love.

Question: Does everyone make a sound like a wet suction cup when they kiss? Or do TB sound editors play some recorded tape during kissing scenes? That ultra-loud smacking really makes me uncomfortable. It happens every season.

Thanks, Bugs, for clarifying Whitney is from Kentucky. And my condolences, KYBlonde!

I thought the show was very careful to not show the label of nor mention the name of the Iowa whiskey. I've seen a PBS program on Templeton Rye so knew what it was. I'll bet the company decided not to pay a sponsor fee so, no recognition (soup!) for you, Templeton!

• Love 4

Like another poster said, I didn't see any paintballs flying during the zombie shoot. I think it was all for show and no paintballs were harmed during that segment. That kept down any legal repercussions from someone shooting Chris's eye out.

I never even thought of that...but it's totally legit now that you mention it.

In my opinion, that was by far the best group date idea they've ever had for this show. So cool! And it doesn't leave the female viewers feeling vaguely disgusted & offended like not let women put their clothes back on then making them ride a tractor. Like Andromeda was saying...the chaffing...

• Love 1

At least the bikini tractor race wasn't shot in the middle of summer.  Can you imagine slapping your minimally-sheathed ass down on a vinyl tractor seat, after that thing had been sitting out in the blazing sun for a few hours?  *LOL*

• Love 2

At least the bikini tractor race wasn't shot in the middle of summer.  Can you imagine slapping your minimally-sheathed ass down on a vinyl tractor seat, after that thing had been sitting out in the blazing sun for a few hours?  *LOL*

Thanks for your glass-half-full analogy, leighdear! Just proves that things can always be worse. It probably would not have phased the chick with the hairy ass though.

Is it a requirement for everyone to dump on TB their hard-luck sob stories right away? "Chris needs to know this about me: I have a kid. I'm a virgin. My dad's dead." Yada yada. I'd wait a while to see if I'm compatible with a guy before I unloaded that stuff. Or, is it a ploy so Chris would feel guilty sending them home?

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

I thought the bikini tractor race was tacky enough, but then to call it the "show me your country!" date and have the girls repeatedly yelling "oh! show me your country!", I stopped hearing the "tree" part and the whole thing turned into a VH1 reality show. I never know how people are going to be portrayed, but Chris is definitely not setting it up for a wholesome Sean Lowe season. Not that that is bad, this show is trash, so might as well whole hog, to use an Iowa metaphor.

• Love 3

Bikini urban hiking? Worst date ever!

I heard the word "amazing" a few times too many.

Yes! and "crazy"! It's sad that my 10 year old niece has a larger vocab than the people on this show - including Chris whom I thought would be much more articulate...but he really isn't and it hurts my brain so much *bashes head against wall*

• Love 1

it hurts my brain so much *bashes head against wall*

Hope you borrowed a motorcycle helmet before you did this.

Andrea, your "c***-try" cracked me up. That was not only brilliant, it was amazing! And a crazy thing to say!

Dating lines to remember: "I like it when men have big noses like you do" and "Do you believe in aliens?"  Hard to imagine that girl hasn't dated in a year.

I really wonder what Chris is thinking about the women chosen for him--two with personal tragedies, a couple who seem like genuine nutcases, a couple with alcohol problems and Ashley S who seems genuinely on something disturbing. How would that be to find yourself dealing with the crazy (producer's choices for some!) for the next few weeks and on camera, no less. I wonder if he thinks, "I don't think Andi had it this tough!" 

The zombie date was, at least, something different. The bikini walk/tractor race has taken its place with the ... was it nude? semi-nude? photoshoot of a previous TB. I shouldn't be surprised at the sexism and tackiness (I've watched more than my share of seasons of this stuff), still, that was pretty bad.

• Love 3

I would have hated the tractor bikini date. Really? How is that a good time for the women?

And when Chris got back from his private time with Ashley I, he asked the other "ladies" if they were having fun.  They were all half-heartedly, "yeah, lots of fun" with forced smiles planted on their faces.

On the group date, Ashley S. was waving around what looked like an e-cig. I would bet good money that it wasn't nicotine, or even weed, in it. Drugs mixed with alcohol is not a good combination for sanity.

With all of the medical and psychological testing these people go through, I just do NOT believe that contestants are allowed to take "significant" medication with them to the house.  There is alcohol present in every activity.  There are medical professionals on standby at the house and all the date sites.  They watch everybody for unapproved drug use.  But of course they don't care if they get wasted on alcohol.

So unless one of these girls (Ashley S) has experience as a drug mule, there is no way production is going to risk the SERIOUS liability issues of allowing a heavily medicated person to participate.  

Because this show is a BUSINESS, and as such will simply not take the risk of putting on a mentally ill person for ratings.  Seriously.  Her act is just that.  Sanctioned and encouraged by the show, but an act. 

• Love 2

I haven't watched regularly in a while -- is it my bad memory or is this season full of especially stupid (alien-believing Mackenzie/makeup artist-helmet wearing Megan) women? (And I concur with those who've said WTF to leaving a ONE YEAR OLD for this stupid show?)

AND, I haven't a clue if Ashley S is putting on an act or not, but the producers are beyond cruel. Mental illness shouldn't be a gag.

I don't watch religiously but I usually do at least watch/follow along and I don't remember this many seemingly completely airheaded girls in one season.

Ashley S was freaking me out. At first I thought she was drunk, but then I realized they hadn't really had all that much to drink in the limo and I assume she wasn't stopping off for sips in between shooting zombies. I was feeling bad for the 'dead' zombies she came up and shot at close range. That had to hurt!  I mean does she realize those are actors and actual people in those outfits?  I was surprised none of them jumped, so kudos to the zombies for good acting. But back to Ashley S after she continued talking I thought she was either on some serious drugs or having some kind of mental break - neither of which should be exploited on the show, in my opinion. I don't think there's any way that was 'just' alcohol.

One funny thing about Ashley S - for those who also watch Bachelor in Paradise, when Ashley was talking to the cat it kind of reminded me of Clare's 'therapy sessions' with the raccoon.

• Love 4

I pulled Ashley S's name in our Bachelor pool at work (I've never actively watched the show, but sometimes it's fun to throw in $5 in the hopes of it turning into $125). I knew based off of her profile on the ABC website she wasn't going to win, but I am so glad that at least she's not boring! Maybe now I'll legitimately watch! I mean...I won't. But maybe!

I've seen a lot of comments accusing a few of the women of being 10 or more years older than their stated age. Not sure if that's hyperbole or a sincere belief, but it seems unfathomable that the producers don't verify that with birth certificates and background checks. Surely, any contestant on this show who lied about their age would be called out on social media by one of their high school classmates, with yearbook evidence. Some of these women just look old, due to bad genes and/or hard living.

Who is Samantha? Did this beautiful and seemingly sane woman just wander on set?

I think Samantha is the most attractive woman there, even out of the original 30. Her lack of screen time is typical for the first few episodes of the season, for anyone who isn't crazy, or alcoholic, or catty.

Ironic that Ashley I. likens herself more as a Kardashian type, yet she's a virgin. But I get what she meant. I think.

Ashley and Samantha both look like they could be Armenian (like the three older Kardashian sisters -- who are actually half Armenian, half Western European) or Iranian. Both those cultures are pretty conservative and religious. It doesn't surprise me that much that Ashley is a virgin.

For years, this show has been inconsistent about the contestants' hometowns. Every season, some of the contestants list the city where they were born and raised (but haven't lived in for 5-10 years), and some of them list the city where they just moved six months ago. And for that reason, half the "hometown" dates don't take place in the city they list as their hometown.

With his conservative background, I bet that any hint of that would have been dragged out by the producers and exploited with every second of video.

He's definitely not a Sean-level Christian, at least, and Sean's born-again status was definitely exploited by the producers.

Is it just me, or does it look like Chris has a bit of a beer gut going on? I think they were trying to hide it by not showing his torso below the moobs much, but it's visible in that hoodie pic in the recap.

Chris' wardrobe isn't helping him. The Bachelor has gone a little overboard in recent seasons with the slim-fit wardrobe trend, although it's become very mainstream for men's fashion. Last season, Chris and Andi had a one-on-one date at a horse racetrack, and he was shown trying on several suits provided for him before the date -- all of them slim-fit. I think his body basically looked the same as it does now. The compressed schedule between seasons doesn't give the new lead much time to get in shape, despite what Personal Trainer Cody suggested in the season premiere!

Since I have worked more years than I want to admit in graphic design, I am sure there is a template set up for the date cards in Quark Express (or something similar), with a type style like Bradley Hand Script, which the interns feed through the printer.

The date card handwriting has definitely been consistent across seasons, but I can recall seeing some cards with spacing issues or other minor blemishes that suggest they really are handwritten, probably by whichever crew member has the best penmanship.

Edited by PhilW
  • Love 1

The tractor date was the single most disgusting thing I've seen on this show. Everything about it, from him, fully clothed, parading his harum of bikini clad "girls" down city streets, to making them ride tractors, it was almost as humiliating as when they made a bunch of scantily clad women run through a field of sheep shit or something like that. Terrible.

The zombie date, however, is one of the best group dates ever! Is that a real thing, because I totally want to try it. But I too felt bad for the zombies. They are actual people, dressed as zombies, so Psycho shooting at them while they were on the ground annoyed the hell out of me. But now that people have pointed out they didn't look loaded, I am a little better about it.

Britt is still stunning. Half of them are still unmemorable. Virgin is kind of, why did she even need to tell the other girls that? I feel like it's a card she is playing on purpose. 21 (Mackenzie?) is really, really young. Much younger than 21, mentally. And it is a bit creepy that she was so obsessed with Virgin's virginity. Yes, frat boys probably see it as a conquest but most normal men wouldn't really care about taking the V card, at least not one worth marrying.

I can't tell the drunks apart so I'm glad we got rid of a few.

IDK what to make of Psycho. I hope she is faking because if not, I feel really shitty watching someone who is truly disturbed for entertainment. This show really makes me question my own morals, or if, by watching, I have proven I have none. lol

Kaitlyn (the one with the mouth, right?) reminds me way to much of Andi so I don't like her. She will probably go far.

Oh, and Whitney's voice. OMFG make it stop!!!!

One funny thing about Ashley S - for those who also watch Bachelor in Paradise, when Ashley was talking to the cat it kind of reminded me of Clare's 'therapy sessions' with the raccoon.

And somehow I found Clare perfectly charming and Ashley S slightly terrifying. lol

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 2

With all of the medical and psychological testing these people go through, I just do NOT believe that contestants are allowed to take "significant" medication with them to the house.  There is alcohol present in every activity.  There are medical professionals on standby at the house and all the date sites.  They watch everybody for unapproved drug use.  But of course they don't care if they get wasted on alcohol.

I don't believe there's medical or psychological testing of contestants at all because the psychologist who used to consult with reality show producers stopped doing so several years ago (and wrote about his experiences) when his recommendations were ignored. Crazy brings ratings. We also know there are little to no background checks for contestants on most of these shows. (Example: June Shannon, for instance.) I think the biggest things reality show producers are concerned with is cutting those appearing off from the outside world during the filming period and containing leaks. Those competing sign a contract holding the producers and the network harmless to any possible peril, up to and including death.

Women keep signing up for this show. I wish I knew why.

Some of these women just look old, due to bad genes and/or hard living.

It has to be the makeup. I remember watching Miss America YEARS ago, back when there were only three channels so everyone just watched it, just because. All the contestants were 18-20 but I would have bet a zillion dollars all were high 30s. It's makeup, hair, clothes. Remember how old poor wee JonBenét Ramsey looked? Check out her photo here. And she was a mere SIX years old when killed. JonBenét Ramsey

So I have to believe these women are really the age they say they are. Six-year-old JonBenet could fit right in this group, looking 30-40.

Onion girl's Mesa Verde ... that's a national park in Colorado known for its extensive Pueblo cave dwellings. It's very famous,although there is nothing supernatural about it, like the supposed mystical powers one can experience in Sedona, Ariz.

Bikini urban hiking? Worst date ever!

In his blog Chris said they had to walk about a mile. A mile on the side of a road in LA in high heels and a moist bikini! That's just beyond cruel. Even for this show.

• Love 4

We also know there are little to no background checks for contestants on most of these shows. (Example: June Shannon, for instance.)

This link shows the requirements of persons applying for The Bachelor.  Please take note of item #9 and #14

http://thebachelor.warnerbros.com/casting/

9. Each applicant acknowledges, understands and agrees that Producer may disclose any information contained within or derived from his or her application to third persons connected with the Program and to compile information from third parties in connection with such application and the application process about applicant's private, personal and public life, personal relationships with third persons, confidences and secrets with family, friends, significant others, including without limitation: physical appearance; personal characteristics/habits (both physical and mental); medical treatment/history (both physical and mental); sexual history; educational and employment history; military history; criminal investigations, charges and records; personal views and opinions about life, the world, politics, religion, and the like (collectively, "Personal Information").

14. All applicants must authorize Producer to conduct a background check, which may include, without limitation, a credit check, a military records check, a criminal arrest and/or conviction check, a civil litigation check, a family court litigation check, interviews with employers, neighbors, teachers, etc. All applicants must sign the attached Authorization to Release Personal and Confidential Records and Information.

June Shannon & her Honey BooBoo crowd were under the TLC network.  Nothing like an ABC reality show.

A major TV network like ABC is not going to cast a person with documented mental medical issues on this show. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 1