Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Iowa

Tara Ariano

In the Season 4 premiere, Hannah has one last dinner in New York with her parents and Adam before packing up to leave for the Iowa Writers' Workshop. Meanwhile, Marnie and Desi play a jazz-brunch gig for a tough crowd at a downtown restaurant; Shoshanna's annoyed by her parents after getting her diploma; and Jessa clashes with Beedie's daughter over her caretaker status.

Shout out to Norman Reebus-- Squeee!

Adam's Method depression commercial-- Squeee!

Natasha Lyonne-- Squeee!

Back door cunnilingus-- oh, no. No, no, no. 

Nine year old heckler at the jazz brunch, with an Elijah lecture for dessert-- aaaand I'm back.  Squeee!!

Edited by bunnywithanaxe
  • Love 5

I hope Marnie's singing/song-writing story doesn't last all season, or for every episode.  I can't take the singing!  Her voice isn't bad, but it is a little thin for my taste.  And, I'm not tuning in for musical performances when I watch this show.

Did Adam just not want to say goodbye when Hannah left, or is he over her?

• Love 2

I loved everything about this episode that had nothing to do with Hannah.  Natasha Lyonne, Danny Strong, everything Elijah and Jessa said.  Can we just skip everything that takes place outside of New York for the rest of the season?  

• Love 3

The first time I saw this, I thought when Marnie's mom said "'Breathless' is the name of the song," she had said "this is the name of the song"  when the Dork Duet were singing "oh, oh, yeah." 

I think my misinterpretation was actually "girlsy--er."

I hope Marnie's singing/song-writing story doesn't last all season, or for every episode.  I can't take the singing!  Her voice isn't bad, but it is a little thin for my taste.  And, I'm not tuning in for musical performances when I watch this show.

I just think folk isn't her sweet spot, When she did that bizarre Morissette- esque thing first season, she wasn't half bad She growls good.

• Love 1

Elijah's tough love speech trying to shake Marnie to her thin-skinned core was awesome. Seriously the Lady Gaga-Judy Garland example was really good.

And it was a small moment, but I loved Shosh asking where the kitten was that Elijah saved.  It looked to me like he was trying to come up with an answer when he saw his ex.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 9

I'm glad Shosh was able to graduate and I liked that we got a glimpse into her family life. I also liked her scene with Ray and that they're both moving on with no hard feelings.

"Jazz brunch"? Pardon me while I go puke. Who wants to listen to (bad) live music during brunch?!?

Marnie had a day of reckoning when she was busted sleeping with Ray.

Now she's going to go through that again when inevitably Clementine finds out?

Don't forget she also slept with Elijah. It's like Marnie is getting to be more and more of an asshole every season.

Hannah is a complete jerk. Her parents came to NYC to help her move, took her out to a nice dinner, made a champagne toast about how proud they are that she got into the writers' workshop, and she tries to make them feel bad about daring to criticize her once in a while? She really thinks she's the center of the universe.

The Jessa/BD story is neither here nor there. Maybe it's time to write Jessa out of the show? It wouldn't be unrealistic because people usually "outgrow" some of the friends from their 20s, and the Jessa & Hannah friendship has always seemed codependent and unhealthy to me.

The relationship between Hannah and Adam is obviously not working (never has, IMO) and it's painful to watch. Reminds me of the Charlotte & Trey relationship in SATC, in the sense that everyone can tell the relationship is doomed except for the two people in it. I hope one of them finds the guts to break it off.

• Love 4

Did they use body doubles for the sex scene? I cannot imagine how Brian Williams would react to watching that scene.

Nice seeing Anthony Edwards and Ana Gasteyer. Although it is weird that she played the wife of Danny's former medical school friend on The Mindy Project, and now she's the mother of a college grad.

• Love 1

I don't know how I feel about this episode. Although I did get a little soft spot for Marnie and Hannahs goodbye. Don't know why but that just got me. Jessa seemed bored by the whole idea of saying goodbye which while yes was funny would also kind of irritate me if I was Hannah as well. Did anything else happen?

I discovered that Adam Driver looks a LOT better without scraggly facial hair and with hair growing down over his ears.

• Love 3
Did they use body doubles for the sex scene? I cannot imagine how Brian Williams would react to watching that scene.

I've been saying this since the beginning. I think in the first season she had a sex scene, with that weird rich guy who she thought she was dating but he thought she was his assistant, and it was insane. 

I don't get the deal with her sex scenes.   Every season she has one or two that are so over the top. I'm not a prude but I don't get the point.   I did love Elijah's comment to her when he found her crying outside. What did he say? "This business is not for whiny bitches".   I love Andrew Rannells so much. He has always been the best part of this show. 

• Love 5
I don't get the deal with her sex scenes.   Every season she has one or two that are so over the top. I'm not a prude but I don't get the point.

It's only sex, I always thought Marnie's sex scenes in particular, illustrate her questionable decision-making skills.

• Love 1

Andrew Rannells and Danny Strong need a spin-off series.

I can't belive someone as self-involved as Hannah would allow for her boyfriend to sleep through her goodbye. She seems like the type of person who would turn on every light and slam every door -- "accidentally", of course -- to wake up Adam. But I guess he was so into his method acting role of sleeping thoughtless boyfriend that he couldn't be moved.

While we are on Adam, his depression commercial is hysterical. Also hysterical, Desi kissing his girlfriend with the mouth that was just tossing Marnie's salad.

What the hell was Natasha Lyonne wearing in her scene?

Edited by AmandaPanda
inflammatory language
  • Love 3

No body double! She talked about the scene in Entertainment Weekly:

"I had a couple of days talking to wardrobe and makeup to get ready to rig the thing that I wore for the ass motorboating. It was an engineering achievement! I would manufacture it if more than one person a year needed it. [Laughs] It was so elaborate—it involved Spanx that we cut away and glued down and involved menstrual pads and two of those weird thongs. I've had to do scenes like this twice now."

Evey time she does a sex scene I think of poor Brian Williams.

It was nice to see the stinky trio (Hannah, Adam & Jessa) showered and clean looking! I hope it continues throughout the season.

Looks like next week is an all Hannah episode. Sadness.

*The show was already renewed for a fifth season. Never heard of that happening before.

Edited by crimsongrl
  • Love 3
I always thought Marnie's sex scenes in particular, illustrate her questionable decision-making skills.

That's kind of what I was thinking.   

Andrew Rannells and Danny Strong need a spin-off series.

I would watch the hell outta that.  Except Danny is so busy with his screen writing I don't know when he'd find the time.  I do find myself liking the men on this show more than the women. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 1

I'm clueless then. But 99.99% of the time I'm thinking wtf is Hannah wearing. An entire episode in a bikini nearly killed me, the topless mesh shirt swap in the club was painful. I'm always thinking "no sleeveless tops, NO SLEEVELESS TOPS...EVER!" ala Mommie Dearest.

• Love 3
I do find myself liking the men on this show more than the women.

So far, I think, Lena Dunham writes men much better than she writes women.  Or at least, writes men better than she writes young women.  Even her confused and knotted-up male characters have a drive, insight and bite that I imagine she relates to.  Her men can be awful, but they can also be hilarious -- and they almost always have a point. And along with that, she casts far better male actors, and has a knack for writing to their personas, while also giving them room to stretch.

What does seem to come naturally to her is the voice of the older woman who comments on the failings or trials of the younger.  The woman for whom Jessa was so briefly a terrible au pair. Hannah's mother and aunt.  Patti LuPone.  Bede the artist.  More to come, I'm pretty sure.  That woman, that point of view, she inhabits.

• Love 5

In agreement with those who have said the male characters are getting far more interesting. It's a sad thing when I am watching the show and thinking, "I wonder what RAY is up to these days." I'm thinking I'd rather be watching a show called BOYS with this male cast. Even when Adam Driver was playing his character as its most weird and creepy, STILL more compelling than any female character - with the exception of his character's sister.

• Love 5
In agreement with those who have said the male characters are getting far more interesting. It's a sad thing when I am watching the show and thinking, "I wonder what RAY is up to these days." I'm thinking I'd rather be watching a show called BOYS with this male cast. Even when Adam Driver was playing his character as its most weird and creepy, STILL more compelling than any female character - with the exception of his character's sister.

I wonder if it's because the women on the show still seem to be spoiled brats, whereas the men seem to be maturing.   

• Love 1

I'm clueless then. But 99.99% of the time I'm thinking wtf is Hannah wearing. An entire episode in a bikini nearly killed me, the topless mesh shirt swap in the club was painful. I'm always thinking "no sleeveless tops, NO SLEEVELESS TOPS...EVER!" ala Mommie Dearest.

We obviously watch this show for different reasons ---because one of my favorite things is to see what atrocity will Hannah wear this week? that mesh shirt ---fabulous! I still laugh at Elijah saying ---you know I don't like your public display of nipples/breasts but that shirt is awesome! <<< Not an exact quote but close enough.

Anyway Hannah is (and continues to be) the best thing about this show. I loved her passive/aggressive toast to her parents. And the look on her mother's face when she understood exactly what Hannah was saying. The father is always oblivious. I kind of love him. Can't wait to see her in Iowa---that state isn't prepared for our Hannah!

Marnie. Marnie. Marnie. Just like Elijah said---I don't see this ending happily.  HaHa! I love that she is so uncomfortable in her own skin she makes those around her uncomfortable as well. The actress plays that to perfection.

Ugh! Adam! let your hair grow back. Dude! You need that hair to cover up your fuggliness.

• Love 4

I thought this was a great ep. I'm interested to see what happens to everyone.

I sure hope BD/Beadie doesn't stay in Connecticut, or that Jessa goes to visit her. Louise Lasser is so good, and I love the way Jessa is with her. Natasha Lyonne was a lot of fun. I expect we'll see her again.

I always feel so sorry for Adam. I'm afraid that that depression commercial is a harbinger of what he's actually going to go thru.

Elijah's speech to Marnie was awesome, but I find Marnie's self-centeredness very entertaining.

• Love 4

For the first time in a long time I would have happily binged on several (new) episodes in a row.  The redirection of the show, based on believable-enough developments in each character last year, is bearing fruit.  Marnie's continuing to be upended by the world's indifference to her good looks, good manners, good clothing sense and good luck, and being #1 to no one but her mother.  (And there, in a way that even Marnie can perceive has very little to do with who she is). Shosh's ongoing role as the patronized peacekeeper between older, more self-centered personalities, now given its foundation. Jessa's being useful only to another user.  Hannah's putting all her compulsions in one basket, and sitting on it.

Adam's half-amused, half-nervous laugh as Hannah described how he was shit on the phone.  Ray: "Swimmingly" -- and the kindness, almost gallantry, that Shosh always evokes in him.  And Elijah, who is still, despite himself, a little fascinated by Marnie's good-everything, being the one person in the room to realize that what she needed then was a good kick in the head. 

• Love 4

Brian Williams watched that live Peter Pan, so I'm pretty sure he can take whatever scary thing Girls makes his kid do.

The apparatus thing used was probably like what was used in Blue is the Warmest Colour-which had way more elaborate and intense sex scenes than that 10 seconds. Desi looks so much like Eric Clapton to me....I finally figured out who he reminded me of. 

One of the reasons I like this show is that these characters really aren't worried about seeming like total assholes- there is something fearless about that. Hannah is terrible....but I think that's the point. 

Ana Gasteyer and Anthony Edwards continues the trend of excellent parent casting on this show. 

"Right back atcha, Marnie's mom!" Elijah was awesome this episode. 

Edited by Pogojoco
  • Love 12

It's only sex, I always thought Marnie's sex scenes in particular, illustrate her questionable decision-making skills.

I thought that was readily apparent here when he took a breath and blurted out that he loved that.  And then she responded, "I love you too."  

Yikes. I was already thinking that's not going to end well before Elijah said his line.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 6

I need to free myself from watching this show. I'm just not the target audience. I did my quarter life crisis in Brooklyn 15 years ago. Not sure why I insist on hate watching.

people keep telling me how talented Lena Dunham is, and maybe so. But it feels like an emperor's new clothes scenario. Which is apt, I guess, since she's so often naked.

• Love 8

It's interesting that one of the most commonly leveled stabs at Lena Dunham is the nudity.

The second one being that Hannah is an awful person. Except Hannah is not Lena.

Attractive female naked on HBO = okay.

Attractive male naked on HBO = hell yeah. (see: true blood)

Not conventionally attractive male naked on cable = funny.

Not conventionally attractive female naked = ugh, stone her to death.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 23

kieyra, I agree with you. I actually wrote a couple of days ago this post in the "Party of one" section:

"My problem with Girls is that most of the time I sort of hate everyone and there are a lot scenes that I find so uncomfortable to watch. But the moments that speak to me REALLY hit a nerve (in a good way) so I'm still in. Also I like Lena. I like the fact that she puts her body out there even when "society" says it's not the ideal body to be proud of having (and I wonder if this is one of the causes people seem to dislike her so much)."

It pains me to admit but watching the show and reflecting about my early/middle twenties I can see some entitlement, really poor decisions and a group of female friends that had their share of fights and "dancing on my own" moments.

• Love 5

kieyra, I agree with you. I actually wrote a couple of days ago this post in the "Party of one" section:

"My problem with Girls is that most of the time I sort of hate everyone and there are a lot scenes that I find so uncomfortable to watch. But the moments that speak to me REALLY hit a nerve (in a good way) so I'm still in. Also I like Lena. I like the fact that she puts her body out there even when "society" says it's not the ideal body to be proud of having (and I wonder if this is one of the causes people seem to dislike her so much)."

It pains me to admit but watching the show and reflecting about my early/middle twenties I can see some entitlement, really poor decisions and a group of female friends that had their share of fights and "dancing on my own" moments.

I think you may be on to something.  People really seem to enjoy ripping Lena apart for her less than perfect body.  

I am 52 and from Iowa, I am probably not their target audience yet I like the show now more than when it started.   Hannah is self-centered and she gets called on it a lot.  She digs her own grave when she talks non-stop about her feelings -like in the episode where her publisher died.  If she had kept quiet  she would not have looked so bad.  She "shares" way too much.

I just like the show. They are still young and trying to figure things out. It shows a life style I have never been a part of. 

• Love 7
People really seem to enjoy ripping Lena apart for her less than perfect body.

I don't know what I enjoy more, the scenes that feature a less than perfect female form, or the inevitable hysterical posts that follow such scenes ("Who does she think she is?" "Why does she do that?").

• Love 5

I do not knock Lena Dunham's body in any capacity. I look far worse naked, there is no circumstance I should be caught naked in. But, whether on purpose or not, they tend to dress her like she's a two year old. 

• Love 7

I do not knock Lena Dunham's body in any capacity. I look far worse naked, there is no circumstance I should be caught naked in. But, whether on purpose or not, they tend to dress her like she's a two year old. 

That little neckerchief she had on at brunch really bugged me.  IT DOESN'T MATCH!!!  To think she (fictionally) had to go out and intentionally buy that, lol.  Or maybe she trash picked it.  Yeah, she trash picked it.

• Love 4

The Jessa/BD story is neither here nor there. Maybe it's time to write Jessa out of the show? It wouldn't be unrealistic because people usually "outgrow" some of the friends from their 20s, and the Jessa & Hannah friendship has always seemed codependent and unhealthy to me.

I would watch a show that was just Jessa. She fascinates me and I think she's hot even with the bad ink on her arms. She's like a mash-up of Patsy Stone, Dr. O'Hara from Nurse Jackie and Karen Walker.

Hannah is one of several people on this show (and others) I don't enjoy seeing naked. I really didn't enjoy seeing marnie get her ass eaten out. It was gratuitous, imo. Perhaps others find this kind of nudity/graphic sex scene liberating and powerful. I find it indulgent and self-congratulatory. I think Lena Dunham thinks she's is doing something so important here, but it doesn't have that impact on me.

Again, I'm reminded that im not the audience here.

Incidentally, Yesterday I opened a news website (NY Daily News, maybe?) to find a nude tweet of Lena Dunham. So I guess that's one of the reasons I and others may conflate her with her character. They seem to have a lot in common.

• Love 3
Hannah is one of several people on this show (and others) I don't enjoy seeing naked. I really didn't enjoy seeing marnie get her ass eaten out. It was gratuitous, imo. Perhaps others find this kind of nudity/graphic sex scene liberating and powerful. I find it indulgent and self-congratulatory. I think Lena Dunham thinks she's is doing something so important here, but it doesn't have that impact on me.

I suppose it goes without saying that Girls isn't unique in using premium cable's platform for telling stories that involve sex and nudity?

Or a shorter version: Lena Dunham didn't invent the HBO sex scene. She's just getting on everyone's nerves by being a woman while doing it.

• Love 10
Marnie's continuing to be upended by the world's indifference to her good looks, good manners, good clothing sense and good luck, and being #1 to no one but her mother.  (And there, in a way that even Marnie can perceive has very little to do with who she is). Shosh's ongoing role as the patronized peacekeeper between older, more self-centered personalities, now given its foundation. Jessa's being useful only to another user.  Hannah's putting all her compulsions in one basket, and sitting on it.

It probably does not help that our media often tells us that if you are good looking certain things will be handed to you.  Marnie knows she is pretty and smart enough to graduate from a good school...so why is her life not more like Rory Gilmore or Joey Potter?  Why is there not a line of great looking, successful, and rich guys that are trying to date her?  Why is that every woman she meets is not dying to be her best friend?  She was also probably a little spoiled by having a boyfriend who adored her in college and a best friend she could feel superior to.  In all fairness, I think Hanna also feels superior to Marnie, but for different reasons.

The character is interesting, but it is time for her to show a little growth.  No Marnie, just being one of the prettiest girls in the class with a degree from a good college is not enough to set the world on fire.  I think she is so uncomfortable because she has a very rigid idea of what a good life is and her reality is falling way short of her ideals...therefore she has no idea how "to fix it".

As far as friends go...does it ever seem like Hanna would gladly throw over Marni in a second if Jessa would commit to being her best friend?  Of course, Jessa is smart enough to leave Hanna always wanting more.

Jessa is much more successful then Marnie in using her looks and charm to get what she wants.  The problem is Jessa has a self destructive streak that will sabotage any happiness or stability she comes across.  We learned last season that this has a lot to do with feeling emotionally abandoned by her parents.

• Love 10
Or a shorter version: Lena Dunham didn't invent the HBO sex scene. She's just getting on everyone's nerves by being a woman while doing it.

I thought Marnie's sex scene was gratuitous, and they could have gotten to the same place with Marnie without it.  The scene doesn't become less gratuitous because other HBO shows also use sex scenes for gratuitous purposes, or because Lena Dunham is female.     

Sometimes I wish I could sit down and have coffee with Hannah's mom.  I love the actress and her responses to the things Hannah says.  When Hannah was going on about her parents' support or lack thereof at dinner, I half expected her mother to leap across the table and start strangling Hannah if she hadn't been interrupted by Adam's appearance.   

• Love 2

Maybe it was season 2 that started with a similar dinner with the parents, where they let her know they wouldn't be footing the bill for her and wanted her to get a real job. I think the dad was so giddy because he thinks she's back on track.

Whether or not Lena Dunham writes women well she sure writes girl fights well. The fight between her and Marni when Marni moved out and the meltdown at the beach house were spectacular fights. "I am not the wound!" and Hannah looked good in that scene.

And I really liked Lena Dunham's pixie cut after season 3 she should have stuck with it..

• Love 3

In an interview with LD, after the first season, she mentioned dressing Hannah up, then removing all the shapewear, giving her an intentional disheveled look.

I have many issues with Girls as a TV show. Well "issues" may be a strong word since my general feeling are that its ok, but not actually great. The main one of these issues being that I think LD is really bad at character development. Much of what these people do (especially last season) doesn't feel like things they would do, but things the show needs them to do for a variety of reasons. Not one of the Girls feels like a fleshed out person with a consistent inner voice and internal logic. Makes it hard for me to give a crap about their adventures one way or the other. On the other hand, I think LD is great with dialog. So there are little scenes like Hannah's dinner with her parents that keeps me coming back.

BUT! The one thing on this show that I think has been absolutely brilliant from start to finish is the costume design. It is spectacular. I can absolutely buy that each and every look (as awful as they have a tendency to be) came from a real person's closet and that person is Hannah, or Jessa, or Marnie, or Shoshana. Honestly, I think the costume designer has done more than anyone else involved with this show to develop some interesting characters.

• Love 10

Again, I'm reminded that im not the audience here.

Incidentally, Yesterday I opened a news website (NY Daily News, maybe?) to find a nude tweet of Lena Dunham. So I guess that's one of the reasons I and others may conflate her with her character. They seem to have a lot in common.

I thought Marnie's sex scene was gratuitous, and they could have gotten to the same place with Marnie without it.  The scene doesn't become less gratuitous because other HBO shows also use sex scenes for gratuitous purposes, or because Lena Dunham is female.

Add me to the list of viewers who didn't need to see that sex scene.
  • Love 5

It was nice to see the stinky trio (Hannah, Adam & Jessa) showered and clean looking! I hope it continues throughout the season.

Dyin over here!  It's so true.  I like Hannah/Lena's new haircut. It's very flattering (tho I liked the pixie she had better).

Adam and Hannah are just so wrong for each other, but can you imagine either of them with anyone else?  Who would put up with their weirdness? So in that way they're both also perfect for each other, which is sad.

• Love 3