Type keyword(s) to search

Gotham in the Media

Athena
  • Start Topic

I think the digital and print companies may have merged back together; I'm not sure.  But yes, they do have a print edition, and I do in fact subscribe to it even though the "finding out what's on TV" use case is largely dead since they went to the two national editions.

The article is here.

From the article:

Likewise, some light will be shed on the dynamic between Bruce and the far-from-fatherly Alfred. "He is very much in the story as a counterpoint to Gordon," says Heller, contrasting the cop's concern for the kid with the butler's explosive approach to disciplining his charge. "If you work backward to how the hell Batman was created, it's clear that whoever was guarding that boy, whoever was guiding him through his teenage years, was not someone who convincingly told him that violence is not the answer."

This is where I think they are making a mistake. I think they should be working forward from young Bruce, instead of backward from Batman. Since its a "prequel" show, I expect that some of his adult persona will show up in the younger character, but then it becomes predictable, safe, and boring if that's the only place they are getting inspiration from. How they are handling the Penguin's evolution is much better -- lots of unexpected twists and turns. I'd like them to do something surprising with Bruce's past. I mean, this part of Batman/Bruce's life hasn't really been explored before, and they're being really straightforward about it. Boring.

re: that spoiler.

Fuck, no. I won't accept that.

It doesn't actually say that though:

It says the Graysons might appear. Which is perfectly valid, since The Flying Graysons were a Gotham Institution before the mother and father were killed in an "accident".

I mean there might be cameo of a toddler named Richard, but that's all I'd be expecting.

Edited by Agent Dark
  • Love 1

Batman was mentioned by name on The Flash. It surprised me, because I don't think even "Gotham City" has been mentioned in a DC tv show since Smallville.

ETA: NEVERMIND

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

Erm--scratch my last post. Closed captioning confirms no Batman mention. ::sigh::

Although, it did have that "You missed." [Not really!] moment similar to the one in

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

I can't believe the producers of The Flash missed that one - it probably wasn't intended to be easily misheard as "Batman" instead of "that man", but I reckon they may have deliberately left the line as it was read after they heard it lol.

• Love 1

Considering that TV By The Numbers has predicted it as "Certain to be renewed" almost since the premiere, I was glad but not surprised. OT: I was more surprised by the quick renewal for Empire, but I think that was strategic: the new honchos at Fox were quoted in a recent Variety piece as saying "This show [Empire] is everything," and they're throwing all their available weight behind it early.

LOL, what a bunch of idiotic suggestions presented with a side of arrogance.  Cut the show to 30 min?   What primetime dramatic series worth its salt is half an hour?  With that suggested formula, the show wouldn't have received a pickup.

Cut the show to 30 min?   What primetime dramatic series worth its salt is half an hour?

I confess that suggestion did get a giggle out of me.   I think the last network half-hour drama was Have Gun Will Travel ( which was a fucking masterpiece, don't get me wrong) about 50 years ago.  One could argue that Law and Order, at least originally, was intended to function as two half-hour dramas, but seriously.  Just too funny.

Colm Feore will be playing The Dollmaker, who was mentioned way back in episode 2 as the guy they were kidnapping all those kids for.

It sounds like this is the same dollmaker from arrow last season, just with different casting? I know they are both dc, is the villain in both comics?

The Dollmaker is actually a few different characters from different comics. Gotham's interpretation seems to be completely new, and I don't think it Will be nearly as creepy as Arrows.

That being said, I hope Gothams Dollmaker is somehow connected to the voodoo lady locked in Arkham.

Not sure if this is media because it was in the promo for next week's episode but I am a little surprised that they chose Cameron Monaghan to play young Joker. Only because he is a full time regular on Shameless on Showtime, which is one of the network's highest rated shows and doesn't seem in any danger of being cancelled soon. In fact it just got renewed. So I'm going to take that as a sign that they don't intend to really use young Joker like they've done with Cat, Penguin, Nygma, even Ivy. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

With a villain as iconic as the Joker, I feel like they wont to use him all the time, like they have with Catwoman, Riddler, and everyone. Part of his mystique is the mystery behind the character, and his unpredictability. Maybe he`ll just show up from time to time, for big appearances and important episodes, then mostly be an unseen presence?   

Or its a red herring, and he`s not the Joker at all. Either way, I am really interested in seeing how this goes.