Type keyword(s) to search

Gotham in the Media

Athena
  • Start Topic

I think I'll miss Fish...her character was really turning around for me lately and I really wanted to see where it would go. I guess, though, in the Batman underworld, something like this is inevitable- with so many criminals jockeying for position, a few big names would fall. Guess this year it's Fish.

Why is she announcing this now? Doesn't it take away the surprise shock in the season finale?

To be honest, I prefer knowing now than in the finale...I hate when shows take away a character I loved at the last second, just to be "shocking". Personally it feels like a gut punch and renders all that time I invested in a character meaningless. At least if I can "prepare" for a departure I can appreciate the story much better.

• Love 2
(edited)

I agree and I'm totally like that as well, but I was very surprised since it's not very common.  Most dramatic series have a major death in its first season, often in the season finale, and some "surprise" character gets bumped off the cast.  The interviews about their departure usually come after.  I wonder if this was sanctioned by the show/FOX.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
(edited)

Hmmm...I came here to check if anyone else wondered this about announcing now.  Sounds like bad apples to me.  Or just her ego running her mouth.  I really doubt Gotham's producers wanted the suspense factor gone. Unprofessional on her part imo.

What's really odd about JPS is that she came through a small tourist city right by me, outside of Houston about 9 years ago - Kemah - touring with a rock band trying to be a lead singer.  And I mean, this bar was small potatoes.  So I never realized her ego was so outsized until I saw her chew scenery here and read that she told Will not to "embarrass her, boy" with his new movie. 

http://www.mtv.com/news/1522697/jada-pinkett-smith-lives-out-her-axl-rose-dreams/

Edited by Jlina

I agree and I'm totally like that as well, but I was very surprised since it's not very common.  Most dramatic series have a major death in its first season, often in the season finale, and some "surprise" character gets bumped off the cast.  The interviews about their departure usually come after.  I wonder if this was sanctioned by the show/FOX.

Maybe it's just me but I see it all the time- at least on network TV. Maybe on cable it's different.

I'd have a feeling this is at least sanctioned by Fox, since this series has been meticulously planned so far and I imagine us anticipating Fish leaving the series is part of that plan. Perhaps the character dies or leaves setting something up for Season 2- maybe it's so that, in the finale, we see the culmination of the Rise of Penguin and his offing of Fish is what tells Falcone and Maroni they underestimated him all this time. I guess we'll see.

(edited)
Maybe it's just me but I see it all the time- at least on network TV.

They didn't give pre-interviews before deaths on

"The Good Wife" or "Person of Interest"

with major cast members being killed off.  I was shocked and surprised by both, and the actors gave post-interviews the day after.  On the first seasons of 

"Once Upon a Time", "Angel", "24", etc.

, a main character was killed off, and again, it was a complete surprise to the audience, with interviews after.  And then with shows like

"Under the Dome", "Revolution", "Lost", "Heroes",

, etc. with more regular deaths, again, it's always afterwards when the actor gets press and explains why they left, or how they felt when they saw they were written out.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2
(edited)

I agree that GOTHAM needs more strong non romantic(with Jim)  female characters , but Jada Picket Smith was simply hammy without being that interesting.   Josh Charles was leaving "The Good Wife" but he didn't announce ahead of time his departure, (thus not giving away his surprise death)  so my gut is JPS just ran off on the mouth without clearing it with anyone.

Edited by caracas1914

It could be that Jada has another project that will be announced soon before the Gotham season finale airs and they want to head off any online "But what about Fish?" hysteria.

• Love 1

That type of hysteria gets the show buzz, and that's one of the reasons why season finales have deaths.  If they wanted to head that off, and generate anticipation, they would have announced it the week before the season finale, but that is months away.  Even an announcement before the show's final run in April would have made more sense.  As the articles said, FOX quietly issued a statement afterward which was vague and neither confirmed nor denied the departure.  Marketing-wise, this whole announcements sounds like either an accident, unless the actress just wanted to put it out there she'll be free or to convince the producers to have a last-minute change of heart since the ending can still potentially be changed if fan response is strong enough.  Anyway, it's all conjecture at this point, and many had already predicted early in the season that since she doesn't play a canon Batman character, her character would meet an untimely end.

This announcement comes hot on the heels of the ugly hysteria and racism accusations overwrought Sleepy Hollow fans are spewing all over the internet. No network wants that kind of negative buzz.

• Love 2

my gut is JPS just ran off on the mouth without clearing it with anyone.

For all the reasons others have given above that's my guess too.  I can't even think of a TV show that killed off a major character played by one of their most famous actors and announced it in advance.  Especially for the season finale.  For what it's worth I will miss her - I loved her high-style scenery chewing and thought she made a fantastic villain.

I don't understand how Jada saying she isn't coming back equates Fish dying in the finale and Jada spoiling the surprise.

This show is based on a comic book, there are plenty of ways and reasons for Fish to not be in Season 2 without her being dead.

• Love 1
(edited)

After the guy whose head got stitched on to the body of a woman all bets are off, I'm thinking that Fish will get an entire Face/Off style full body switch surgery by the end of this season, so Fish will still be on the show but Jada won't.

By saying it now they'll build up fan speculation that Fish will die, so it'll be a big surprise twist when Fish shows up with a new face/identity.

Edited by Perfect Xero
  • Love 1

The only way I want Fish to be offed is by Oswald. I want the Penguin to have his Fish dinner.

I wish they would have kept her departure a secret though. I knew she would eventually get offed due to the fact that pretty much everyone else has to make it into the batman age alive, but still...

I wish Jada all the best.

(edited)
No surprise, but I'm glad to hear it.  Plus, there should be room, since Jada is leaving, Falcone/John Doman too perhaps, and I have to think Montoya/Allen fell off a cliff somewhere.

There maaaaaay be more of a storyline for Montoya next season now that Babs had her little breakdown (which I fully support and condone and want to see more of by the way)   and now that the mob story is all but over Jim's attention will probably be on the dirty cops and politicians so he could use a few good....ahem men.    

Edited by Chaos Theory

Thank you tv echo, that was fun, if about as vague as most of these ComicCon press conferences are.  The convention host who just can't be bothered, also all too standard.  Did notice that when asked an obvious gossip-bait question like "who's your favorite cast member to work with?" only my man Donal was smart enough to give the obvious answer you need to give - that every cast member is your favorite on the day you're working with them, because they are by definition a great cast.  I don't just mean that it's the obvious answer in that it's the best PR answer - but that it's also the best attitude to take with people you're going to be working with every day very closely for years.  You better be able to work with all of them.

• Love 1

I LOVE Michael Chiklis.  Between him and Donal Logue plenty of fantasy fodder for me.  And he's a comic book fan too.  I remember that he was the only cast member from Fantastic Four who actually knew the comic books and was excited about getting to play The Thing.