Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot / S01.E02: Joust Friends 2015.01.04

Oh, Jesus!  Please tell me they won't be singing all of their promos for the duration of Galavant!

I want to like it, but it's too cheeky for it's own good.  Whatever happened to sincerity?  The joust was kind of funny though.

And is Madelena's defining character trait is that she's a bit of a ho?  Lovely.

I have the flu, so maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind to watch this.  Maybe next week will be different.

Edited by bmoore4026

Weirdly I find the modem language in the songs funny but would rather they not try so hard to insert slang into the dialogue.

The actors are having such a good time that the show makes me smile.  That's enough for me to keep watching.

• Love 10

The weirdest parallels was Sid the Squire asking about keeping or eating the rooster, then hearing the sad tale of Madalena's Jenny the Goat.

Liking it so far, but it's entertaining.

Did Galavant say his parents ate each other?

He said they hated each other; that they loved each other very deeply, but would fight  every day.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 2

I laughed for a good few minutes at that joust. I thought I had it under control when they finally hit the ground, but the horses just wandering off started it up all over again.

I'm a big fan of Robin Hood: Men in Tights (used to watch it so many times as a kid) and this is a lot like it, so they have me.

Edited by Luciano
  • Love 21

He said they hated each other; that they loved each other very deeply, but would fight  every day.

I remember that but before that he said they liked to eat and then something thing that I thought was basically its ironic that they ate each other.  Then it went to they fight all the time.  Now I'm going to have to watch again with cc just to be sure.

Edited by ParadoxLost

This show had me at the whole "Let's start a genocidal war! Yeah! Wait... what?" exchange. I'm surprised by how much I like King Richard... Timothy Omundson is perfect in the role.

• Love 17

Oh, Jesus!  Please tell me they won't be singing all of their promos for the duration of Galavant!

I will hurt someone if I have to sit through the promos again.

Oh, absolutely. A four-week miniseries will be fun. Anything longer? Yep, shoes would fly through the TV.

I think this is a key point. I'm looking forward to the next three Sundays!

The actors are having such a good time that the show makes me smile.  That's enough for me to keep watching.

And SO much this - they are having such a great time!

I laughed for a good few minutes at that joust. I thought I had it under control when they finally hit the ground, but the horses just wandering off started it up all over again.

GAH! And the horses just wandering off was fantastic!

I will be back!

• Love 7

I was predisposed to like this as I loved Tim Omundsun in Psych. Also, love the Princess Bride and Holy Grail.  Now having seen the first two episodes, I actually liked it better than I thought I would. I hope it finds an audience and that ABC continues to do short series like this and Agent Carter.

• Love 13

I will hurt someone if I have to sit through the promos again.

Right there with you. The promos for Galavant itself have been great, but having no-talent ABC promo monkeys try to compose new lyrics to Alan Menken's music for their other shows is utterly cringeworthy.

• Love 11

I thought it was boring and unfunny and I love that time period and musicals as well.

I don't think love of time period and musicals is the target audience.  This is crackfic set to music.

Crackfic: A type of fanfiction (or original fiction) that is intentionally unbelievable and insane.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 9

Totally, I cracked up when the horses slowly started approaching each other but lost it after the both fell off and the horses wondered off.

• Love 8

Dear god, this is a train wreck. Who is the target audience for this dreck?

Me, me, me.

Love musicals, love Python, love Omundsun. Laughed a lot. (Actually liked the singing promos - might get old but liked it tonight)

• Love 11

Jean Hamm? That name alone was killing me. Plus, the king oblivious to his wife banging the jester while the guard pretended not to know. And everything mentioned above. Also, the afore-mentioned Jean Hamm vomiting out every opening in his helmet.

Yep, I loved it.

• Love 10

I loved it so much! Sir Jean Hamm and the vomit. The bit with the girl singing under her breath the entire plot and Gal catching on. That never happens!

I also loved the part where he worked so hard for one day, they called him ready, and then he could not move the next day. Totally worked for me.

I would love to see more of this sort of thing. In small doses

• Love 6

It is cheesy?  Yes.  Hokey?  Sure.  Did I enjoy it?  A lot more than I thought I would.  Since it's only 4 weeks, it's enough of a commitment for me to where I can save on my PVR and watch all 4 on a Saturday when there's nothing else on.  

Jean Hamm.  Heh.  

• Love 3

I have a tendency to just DVR all pilots without knowing much about them and give them a shot, and if I enjoy it, I stick around.  I will be......sticking around for this.  I absolutely LOVED this.  Best pilot I've seen in a long time.  The first episode (the real pilot) I enjoyed more than the second ep, but both were great.  I'm re-listening to all the songs now to try to catch these amazing lyrics. 

*snobby voice* "Galavant, he's such perfection.  He never loses his....temper!"

There was so much win in this.  The king and Gareth are the best, though Galavant and Sid are also great.

• Love 4

Jean Hamm? That name alone was killing me. Plus, the king oblivious to his wife banging the jester while the guard pretended not to know. And everything mentioned above. Also, the afore-mentioned Jean Hamm vomiting out every opening in his helmet.

Absinthe is a harsh mistress (and apparently, so is Princess Isabella).

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 4

I liked it well enough. It's silly and juvenile and there are songs, and that's enough to get me on board for another three weeks (I agree with others that the full eight would have been a stretch, so I think doubling up was the right way to do it).

I would have loved this show at about 10 years old, though. I can definitely imagine going to school the next day and reciting all the "funniest" moments with my friends over and over, as I recall doing with both Robin Hood Men in Tights and the Disney Robin Hood.

• Love 1

I wasn't even going to watch this because I thought it looked pretty stupid from the promos, but I ended up finding it far funnier than I expected.  Doesn't hurt that it'll only last another three Sundays, so I know it won't overstay its welcome.  (It was about 10x more enjoyable than the premiere of Downton Abbey ...)  I guess I have a soft spot for fairy tale cliches/heroes.

• Love 2

I'm in! This was hysterical.  All the actors looked so familiar so I'm off to check IMDB. Only one I could name was John Stamps. 

The joust! I was in tears. I don't normally like musicals but somehow this all worked for me.  Perfect Sunday night filler until The Walking Dead returns.

It was a bit gross and utterly ridiculous but had more clever bits than I expected.  I gave it fifteen minutes and decided to stay for the rest because I felt like a bit of silliness.  Timothy Omundson, Vinnie Jones, the squire, and the cook have me tuning in for next week.  I agree with the others who said the short run makes it more appealing.

ETA: The joust was great!

Edited by MisterGlass
  • Love 3

I enjoyed it because it was just goofy fun.  It reminded me of Men in Tights and other types of musicals.  I loved the joust and agree with all the plus reasons to enjoy it.

I thought it could easily bomb, but I'll check it out again.  Could it get old, sure but if they are smart they would put it in filler spots.  I think for a short run it could be entertaining.  I forgot to record, so I will have to watch it again later.  I wasn't expecting more than a spoof, so it worked for me.

• Love 1

I'm in! This was hysterical.  All the actors looked so familiar so I'm off to check IMDB. Only one I could name was John Stamos.

Madalena was the only one who looked familiar to me but I couldn't place her, I had to go running to imdb. She currently has recurring roles on two ABC Family sitcoms: Young & Hungry and Baby Daddy. That's where I'd seen her,

You and me both. For some reason, I couldn't stop laughing at the sight of those 2 horses slowly plodding towards each other. Then to have them plod off together was hilarious. Best moments in the whole show.

• Love 6

I am so glad this show is only four weeks.

That being said, I LOVE THIS SHOW. I was cracking up in my basement. It was everything I was expecting, and I wasn't expecting the twist in Isabella's character and Sid and everything was great. The timing of the musical numbers was perfect, actually, too. It's a hard thing to do, but they did it well.

I'm so excited for next sunday, and the two sundays after that.

What a perfect little mid-season pick me up.

• Love 3

I liked the first half, but the second dragged. It's very tightly put together by experienced parties, so I think running two episodes together is really screwing with the creative process. As usual, people in power make stupid decisions that wreck the efforts of those who really know what they're doing.

ETA: Favorite visual joke was after Isabella pointed out that Galavant had his jousting armor on backwards, he strode away in profile with the part that was supposed to cover his "manhood" flapping over his behind.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

Vinnie Jones sang! Only a couple of lines, but still, what a trip. The sloooow joust was my favorite part, definitely, but there was enough cleverness in amongst the silliness that I'm buying in. It's only four weeks, and I very much liked the costumes and art direction. Just the right level of cod medieval theatricality.

• Love 6

In some ways it reminds of "When things were Rotten" with singing.  It is so bad that it is good.  I knew 2 of the actors but the rest I didn't know.  Will have to check out the songs on youtube.  :)

• Love 2

I love musicals, Princess Bride, Monty Pyrion etc and really wanted to like this but I just couldn't. I had it on live but my mind kept wandering. I need to see the joust again, it sounds funny.