Type keyword(s) to search

S30: Spoilers

peachmangosteen
  • Start Topic

There are some known cast members listed here.

So Kim was supposed to be in season 29, but her sister had a health thing or something, so they had to drop out.

Max Dawson taught a class about Survivor.

ETA: There's a lot of hype over this season. Probst is saying it's his fave of all time and a person on another board who spoils the show is saying it's the best since HvV.

From Jeff's EW article:

“We have a new advantage in the game, something we’ve toyed with for a long time and decided to do it this year, and it plays out great. I’ll leave it at that for now.”

Edited by peachmangosteen

From the nose up, he reminds me of an actor whose name escapes me at the moment.

From the nose up, he reminds me of Ryan Gosling.

I'm looking forward to this season, though I can't shake the suspicion that it's going to be a lot like Cagayan in terms of pre-merge tribal dynamics (and possibly in terms of wins, as well) with White Collar = Brains, Blue Collar = Brawn, and No Collar = Beauty. But the again, really liked Cagayan right up until Tony was able to use the overpowered hidden immunity idol to walk to the end and it doesn't sound like this coming season is going to feature that particular twist.

The whole Collar thing just seems like a total retreat of Brains, Beauty, Strength, with the caveat that Beauty and No Collar are slightly different approaches to building a third leg (whereas even though Intelligence isn't an exact match for White Collar, it's in the neighborhood, and even though strength is not an exact match for Blue Collar, it's again in the neighborhood).  The big thing is that the play dynamics will be much the same, and I think even the social dynamics will be fairly close to that other season.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

Which category would yall fit in - White, Blue, or None?

I've been all three at different times, so I'm at somewhat of a quandary here.

It's the same for me. I've been all three, and I think most people will have been, so it's a bit of an arbitrary and silly distinction. But that's nothing new for Survivor. 

• Love 2

Which category would yall fit in - White, Blue, or None?

I'd be no collar. Even though I wear really nice clothes, I kinda do my own thing all the time.

Dear mother of Zob! That Dan guy is a year younger than me. I look FANTASTIC for my age.

Edited by dolphincorn
  • Love 4

I have my own business. Me, myself and I. I usually work in my PJs or whatever i am wearing around the house. I've been white collar, blue collar, unemployed, etc. I try not to fit into any category if I can manage it. I once told someone "I think outside the box. I have no box." and he replied "Are you homeless? I have plenty of boxes you can have." Kidding, of course, but that's a good friend and they all know me as flying by the seat of my pants most of the time.

• Love 1

I love the idea in theory. Unfortunately, I don't trust TPTB enough to approach "no collar" properly. I am expecting to see students, aspiring actors, models, bartenders and hippies when they should be casting people like artists, dancers and musicians. Most students are en route to becoming either blue or white collar making it a cop out, while the hippie-type plays too far into the stereotype of "noncomformity". I would much rather "no collar" represent art as an alternative to the intellect/labor binary.

That said, I've heard this season was cast first and assigned to tribes after. So, like Cagayan, I'm expecting to see a lot of slippage between the categories. Regardless, 3-tribe seasons are often fantastic, so I am looking forward to it even if I get a tribe of Flicka and Gabriel.

Edited by Oholibamah
  • Love 1

I would be white collar. Always worked in an office or as a Professor. (shrugs)

I still think it is a stupid way to divide the tribes. I like three tribes, that is cool, and don't mind theme tribes but this strikes me as an even more silly tribe distribution then beauty, brawn, and brains.

No, I don't watch BB, it makes me crazy. :) He may have been on a reality show here. I'm hoping it wasn't Utopia.

NO MORE UTOPIA!!!  But, no- Max wasn't on Utopia.

I'm officially white collar as far as working in an office, but I think we are definitely more blue collar.  My husband is a firefighter and we both make closer to blue collar salaries.  We live in a modest house with not a ton of frills.  So, again- how do they determine these things?  Also, wouldn't bartender/model be "no collar"?

ETA:  I just looked at the cast list that was posted with the link above and I think they should have the hairstylist and model/professional barrel racer switched.  How is professional barrel racer even an occupation? 

And White Feather Guy-  Ha!! That's the type of person (I am suspecting based on his bio) that I could not stand to talk to for more than 30 seconds!  "Age- ageless", "Home- Earth".  Just ugh, no!

• Love 1

Is "bartender/model" really what they mean by Blue Collar?

Bartender, yeah.  Model, not so much.

ETA:  I just looked at the cast list that was posted with the link above and I think they should have the hairstylist and model/professional barrel racer switched.  How is professional barrel racer even an occupation?

You can make money off it - not much, unless you're in the top ranks and can start scoring endorsements, but some. I know one lady who is a professional barrel racer. She's also a bartender. :)

And White Feather Guy-  Ha!! That's the type of person (I am suspecting based on his bio) that I could not stand to talk to for more than 30 seconds!  "Age- ageless", "Home- Earth".  Just ugh, no!

Well, that clarifies things.  "No Collar" can also be a synonym for "Flake".  :P

• Love 2

I always thought Blue Collar implied manual labor and/or service profession, factory work, farm work, that kind of thing.  Am I wrong?   And that white collar implied a job that required advanced and/or professional education.  I also think salary has nothing to do with this.  For instance a friend of mine who is a contractor makes way more than another friend who is a Ph.D.-holding professor.

JP's ridiculous categories of "Makes the rules, Follows the rules, No rules" is just so stupid.  I'm white collar and I can tell you I'm not making any rules.

• Love 6
JP's ridiculous categories of "Makes the rules, Follows the rules, No rules" is just so stupid.

Not looking forward to seeing this translated as 'Creates Jobs, Works Job, No Job'.  Probst hasn't even started banging away thusly and I'm already sick of it.  

• Love 2

I always thought Blue Collar implied manual labor and/or service profession, factory work, farm work, that kind of thing. 

Anyone who thinks bartending isn't manual labor has never had to swap out a keg during Thursday Night Football.  ;)

• Love 1

Anyone who thinks bartending isn't manual labor has never had to swap out a keg during Thursday Night Football.  ;)

And anyone who thinks it's not artistry with a dash of entertainment/juggling has not seen the movie Cocktail. 

I think the terms originated something like:

White collar = they can wear clothes at their job that will not get dirty.

Blue collar = clothes they wear to work will probably get dirty.

No collar = the above distinctions are irrelevant.  But this one is just made up.

My guess for Mr White Feather, ageless, free spirit is that he is a trust fund baby who is rebelling against a traditional upbringing by rejecting societal norms, ignoring the fact that he can only afford his life of nonconformity because of his upbringing.

• Love 1

It is undoubtedly a blue collar job, but one that you can learn skills that are applicable in many aspects of life.

I had a part-time bartending job for several years and I think that I learned just as much about human nature doing that job as I did being a middle management type in a large corporation.

As mid-level manager you've got just enough responsibility that you have to listen when people talk, and not so much responsibility that you can tell them to get bent either.

Tending bar you sometimes encounter some very tricky situations with drunk and unreasonable customers. I learned the art of being firm, but allowing people save face from my time bartending.

If you are looking to make great tips, it is all about subtly stroking egos to make people feel good about themselves. If you are obvious about it, you turn people off.

A good mid-level manager can lead his boss to make the decisions of his own choosing if he presents information to the boss in a particular way.

One can learn to weld power from a non-power position in a variety of blue and white collar jobs.

I think people skills like that are invaluable in the social aspect of Survivor.

Of course there are always exceptions, but I don't see the stereotypical free spirit as having a background influencing people in that manner.

• Love 1

When I lived in the Southwest years ago, I met a young, appealing guy who was traveling cross-country, on foot/hitch-hiking, playing the bagpipes.  He was entirely dependent on the charity and contributions he got from people along the way, and would stop from time to time and work a job for a while to make money.  He would literally walk along the highways playing the bagpipes.  He wasn't doing it for a cause or for social-media fame, or to write a The-Year-I-Did-X Book.  He just wanted to live that way.

That guy should be on the no-collar tribe. 

• Love 2

I don't understand how model/barrell jumper/criminal justice student is considered Blue Collar.  Seems no collar to me.

Strong evidence that those designations are little more than window dressing as far as the show is concerned.

Kind of like the Mactors that are brought in to liven things up a bit.

The more I think about it, the more I think that the post I made above is absolute nonsense. You never know what skill set another person will possess when the come into the game.

• Love 1

It's worth noting that, according to Probst (via Dalton Ross/EW), they had the cast picked out before they came up with the theme for the season. So I'm guessing each tribe will have one or two people who fit the stereotypes (middle management asshole types, salt-of-the-earth blue-collar types, annoying free-spirit-at-the-top-of-their-lungs types), and the rest will have been shoehorned into the tribe with some specious reasoning on the part of the producers.

• Love 1

They did the same thing for Brains, Beauty, Brawn. They noticed that they had a decent number of people who fell into one of three categories and shoe horned in a few others into categories. So I have a feeling that most people will fit pretty neatly and there will be a few huh? The No Collar tribe allows for more huh? because it is more about an attitude then the job. I think I saw that a Realator is in the No Collar tribe. By day, she sells home but her over all life style is more "whatever".

Looks like there will be a new advantage will be in this season.

I'm looking forward to it already.

The host continued to spill the beans saying that White/Blue/No Collar designations will not be the only new twist in Survivor: Worlds Apart. 'We have a new advantage in the game,' he said. 'Something we've toyed with for a long time and decided to do it this year, and it plays out great. I'll leave it at that for now.'

Read more: http://www.crossmap.com/news/survivor-season-30-premiere-date-josh-probst-spills-worlds-apart-to-kick-off-with-a-special-3-hou-15411#ixzz3OWgIq1vC

Reading that Probst interview was annoying. I have a Master's degree and do not work with my hands or in a blue collar type environment. But I don't make any rules. I'd love to tell my supervisor that I make the rules. She'd laugh in my face. My job may not be physically taxing, but it is mentally taxing and my blue collar father in law with no formal education past high school makes far more money than I do. 

• Love 1

Front runner for most irritating contestant (unfortunately likely to last for a while because he'll be of use in early challenges):  Vince.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/215005/

Current Residence: Santa Monica, Calif.
Personal Claim to Fame: Traveling through 39 countries; all done on whim, wit and self-actualization.
Hobbies: Dancing, storytelling and Art of all kinds.

SURVIVOR Contestant You Are Most Like: I’m flirty and use my sex appeal like Parvati. I also have a bit of Coach and Fabio too.

• Love 3

Front runner for most irritating contestant (unfortunately likely to last for a while because he'll be of use in early challenges):  Vince.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/215005/

Current Residence: Santa Monica, Calif.

Personal Claim to Fame: Traveling through 39 countries; all done on whim, wit and self-actualization.

Hobbies: Dancing, storytelling and Art of all kinds.

SURVIVOR Contestant You Are Most Like: I’m flirty and use my sex appeal like Parvati. I also have a bit of Coach and Fabio too.

Yeah the guy just looks like a dick.  He sort of looks like Fabio (Not Survivor Fabio, I am talking about the original Fabio).

I like the look of this cast overall (especially compared to last season). Lots of strongish women and some interesting guys. 

I liked the fact that they seemed to cast older (Or older in regards to recent years of the show) contestants this season.

• Love 2

Runner up for most irritating contestant would be Joaquin! He looks like he's that guy who drives some ridiculous cock-compensating car, thinks he's the hottest shit at the club, materialistic horn dog!

• Love 1

The premiere description:

"It's Survivor Warfare" – The 30th season will feature the first-time theme of "Worlds Apart," with castaways divided into the three separate tribes, White Collar, Blue Collar and No Collar. Minutes into the game, castaways are forced to choose between honesty or deception, and one castaway becomes ill after trying to satisfy his need for protein, on the special 90-minute season premiere of SURVIVOR, Wednesday, Feb. 25 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Also, based on this press image, it looks like they might be doing that thing they did with the BBB season. Did they pick who they thought was weakest and strongest or something? I don't remember exactly. Or maybe it has to do with that honesty or deception thing mentioned in the description. Pick who you think is most honest vs. who is most deceiving or something.

Edited by peachmangosteen

There is no boot list and there won't be since it is an all newbie cast.

According to the casting director and there is plenty of evidence of it - this whole cast is close. Like the OW cast. So you are not going to get much from social media.

The only thing I am sure of is that Carolyn is pre-merge, like So. They are very close IRL, which is surprising considering their relationship on the show. Which means lots of time spent together pre-merge.

I am about 95% sure that Shirin is post-merge. So seems unbelievably bitter toward Shirin and even in photos where they are together on social media, they are as far away from each other as possible.