Type keyword(s) to search

S30: Spoilers

peachmangosteen
  • Start Topic

http://survivorfever.net/vc_s30_ep11_4_26.html

Here is yet another set of promo pics, and once again the only thing it features is Tyler and Dan's advantage.  And in this promo, Tyler yet again talks about finding out the advantage.  But we know from the end of episode promo that Tyler knows what it is.  Is there a rule that someone can steal it from you?  And that's why Tyler is so anxious to get into his bag?  And is there really nothing else happening this week?  Tyler sure has moved up in the screen time quite a bit.  Much like the "greatest idol hunt ever" or however Jiffy worded it, I have a feeling this will be another bust.  

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to steal people's idols, so I'd assume Dan's advantage would also be off limits. You can go through their stuff to see if they have idols, though, so I'd assume that also applies here.

You cannot steal an II or clue but you can go through their stuff to find it.   Dan must not be a fan of this show or he would have known to bury it.  They have been doing that for many seasons now. 

Back to Jeff saying the winner is an icon for a moment. 

Mike- big strong handsome man who manages to get there against all odds.

Rodney- loud mouth obnoxious guy who was perceived a goat but proved them wrong.  

Tyler- quiet guy staying on the edge of the drama and bingo his stealth wins the game for him. 

No one else could be called an icon by Jeff. 

I have been rooting for Mike for awhile now.  As an atheist, liberal, white collar this shocks me but I like the guy.   There is really no one else to champion.  

I don't particularly like Shirin (never have) and I cannot tell you why, just don't.   Doesn't matter either, we all find different people compelling or not.  

The episode "Hanging on for Life" must be about the challenge.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

"My world is my bond" could be a Rodney malapropism, perhaps?

That was my thought as well.

No one else could be called an icon by Jeff. 

I think Shirin easily fits 'iconic,' even coming from Probst. And part of me still thinks she's the winner, but another part of me is like 98% sure she gets voted off this week.

• Love 1

I'm convinced the editors gave up by this point.  Boring, unlikable group, and they probably wanted to be done with them.  There's no story arc here at all.

Wow, Sierra actually gets a confessional this time?!  Oh, she's talking like she's going to do something big, but we know how that'll work out.  Especially since she and Dan flipped from being at the top of their alliance to the bottom of Rodney's.  These people are idiots this season.  Aw, and Dan is acting like he's going to be a game player.  How cute.  Yeah, I believe Tyler finds the extra clue and blackmails Dan or informs the group.  The "works beautifully" line from Probst earlier in the season probably has nothing to do with what Dan does with it, but what someone makes him do with it.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

Promo pics.

Another endurance type challenge for the IC. I feel like they've had more of that type of challenge than ever before this season. I like it!

Dan looks like he's really struggling. Shocking! Same for Shirin.

Apparently Jenn didn't free all the chickens. Mike is carrying one lol.

Joe/Hali/Jenn seem to be having fun on the jury, so that has me excited that maybe Mike/Shirin pull something off.

The twist to the IC tonight is that 2 people win: 1 man, 1 woman.  Not that I'm much of a conspiracy theorist or want Shirin and Mike to leave, but really show?  That's all I could think of when I read this.  Mike just needs to win and then pass his idol to Shirin.  I'm starting to wonder if I'm right about Jeff's "best ever" comments being more of a dig at how bad this season really is.  I think going into tribal, Rodney & co will probably split the votes between Mike and Shirin if both of them are eligible.  Of course, this isn't the smartest group to play, so maybe they won't factor in that one of them may have an idol and vote for Mike in a landslide.  With all the hype about Dan's extra vote in the promos, I wonder if we will see it used this episode.  I'm guessing it'll be a TBC with Tyler and Carolyn having the knowledge.

I agree about the endurance challenges this season.  I like the challenges that involve both logic and athletics to win.  Mixes it up more and doesn't give anyone an advantage.

In regards to my 3 favorite NC who should still be in the game: I can totally buy the drunk theory, but maybe Shirin or Mike does get voted off and they're just relieved it's not Dan, Will, or Carolyn that they have to put up with.  If it weren't for production, I could almost see those 3 bolting the door to Ponderosa and turning out the lights as the new jury member bangs on the door to be let in all night.  That's what I would do if I knew Dan was coming.

http://www.people.com/article/survivor-worlds-apart-exclusive-immunity-challenge-preview-two-necklaces

Wow, 2 necklaces and Jeff is not talking about this?  Odd.  Or maybe he is and I have just missed it.   Where is the drunk theory coming from? 

Yeah, I'm surprised Jeff didn't mention this in his weekly tease or that it hasn't been hyped in the promos.  Which again makes me wonder if they are either scaling back to create suspense, or if it's a predictable boot and they figure why bother hyping it.  All that's been featured in any promo, either video or pics (aside from the challenges), is Tyler's hunt to find out Dan's advantage.  I'm hoping it means something big happens and they are just hiding it.

I think calling the NC drunk was meant as a joke since they get along so well and it seems like one big party at Ponderosa with just the 3 of them.  I'm sticking with the theory that Shirin is voted off and they are just grateful that they get her over one of the others.

Edited by LadyChatts

I am not finding this season to be that bad, especially compared to last season where I hated or did not care about the vast majority of the cast (Especially the winner).

I often find I like a season better at the finale or in hindsight.   This season is just okay for me, at this point.   

Survivor Fever is predicting the Mike/Shirin team wins the RC, Mike and Shirin win IC, and Tyler is booted. That's like my dream right there! Please be right!

Two IC winners seems like TPTB blatantly trying to preserve Mike and Shirin. And I say thank you for that! That being said, I don't know how in the hell Shirin can win any challenge, let alone an endurance one, unless everyone else drops out and I really can't imagine all of them being dumb enough to do that.

• Love 1

Survivor Fever is predicting the Mike/Shirin team wins the RC, Mike and Shirin win IC, and Tyler is booted. That's like my dream right there! Please be right!

Two IC winners seems like TPTB blatantly trying to preserve Mike and Shirin. And I say thank you for that! That being said, I don't know how in the hell Shirin can win any challenge, let alone an endurance one, unless everyone else drops out and I really can't imagine all of them being dumb enough to do that.

Maybe that's why he's getting so much airtime lately.  Not because he's going to win, but because he ends up getting booted.  They have to start giving the invisibles some sort of screen time so people recognize them when they get their torch snuffed.  If this IC twist was thrown in as a possible save for Mike and Shirin, I seriously question what TPTB were thinking at this stage of their cast as a whole.  They must have figured it was going to be pretty horrible and predictable for them to be the next two gone, leaving us with Dan/Will/Rodney/Sierra/Carolyn/Tyler.  Maybe next week's quote 'holding on for dear life' is a Carolyn quote, since she lost her #1 ally in the game.  Well, much like last season, maybe the TC will make up for an otherwise dull episode.  That was the only good part of last season for me was when tribal happened.

I'll believe it when I see it though.  Actually, there's several I'd rather see go over Tyler but I guess he's the next biggest threat.  Plus Dan probably won't appreciate his advantage being found out by Tyler the Snoop.

I can maybe see Shirin winning the IC.  Even though Carolyn seems pretty tough and is able to hold her own, I guess it's not impossible that she might pull off a win.  Even so, Mike does have his idol, so if Shirin does lose but Mike wins, hopefully he gives it to her.  They can really stir stuff up at TC.  I dislike just about everyone left, so I don't even care at this point who goes home.  I'm over this season.  I want the next Ponderosa episode already!

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

I can't believe I'm reading spoilers for the first time ever. That shows how bad this has gotten. I don't want to waste any more time watching if there's no satisfying payoff to all this awfulness. Shit, even if Mike wins, this season will still have been quite a chore to watch.

• Love 1

So the six finally have to turn on each other next week.  From the preview at the end of the episode:

-Tyler's got a point that when you hear your name come up, you're going to panic and throw your vote to someone else.  Mike was bluffing, but how could they be 100% sure?  At least with the 2 votes for Dan, he could have forced a tie if Shirin's votes were negated.  I don't consider it a bad move at all.  Dan really doesn't get the concept that he's allowed to be voted for.  He freaked out back when the 3 NC voted for him.

-And now Rodney wants to quit?  Unlike Jenn, I think he'd be more likely to follow through with it.  But I can't blame him, even if he is part of what's making it miserable for everyone out there.

So I'm thinking that a couple of things could happen: #1 Mike wins immunity, he and his idol are safe, which really makes the six scramble.  Dan is pissed at Tyler, flips back to Mike, Sierra joins them because she may be realizing that being #5 in her new alliance is a real thing, Dan uses his extra vote and is able to a force a tie with whoever Tyler/Rodney/Will/Carolyn votes for.  There's also a chance that Tyler/Carolyn flip over to Mike as well, voting off Rodney.

Possibility #2: Mike loses immunity, plays his idol, no one votes for him because they know he's not stupid enough to feel secure.  Gets the idol out of play.  Sierra gets blindsided for being on the bottom of the group and being seen as more likable of those left.  Also possible Carolyn is blindsided with the idol in her pocket since she's proven herself in challenges, may not be as likable but likable enough in this group.

Possibility #3: Tyler wins immunity, Mike and Carolyn both play their idols.  We'll pretend no one knows Carolyn has her idol, as I don't know if that's the case.  Tyler also knows about Dan's extra vote.  He and Carolyn may join Mike and let him in on this bit of knowledge, they blindside Rodney or Sierra.  They may get people to try and vote Carolyn off, knowing she'll be safe, and whoever they vote for ends up going home.

Jeff did say that the extra vote plays beautifully, so I guess it won't be a total bust of Dan not be able to use it or not having it be an impact.  If it is "Shakespearean" and does in fact end "beautifully" maybe Dan uses it against Tyler as revenge for voting for him, sealing his fate.  Unfortunately, I think Dan and Mike are safe next week.  Right now I'd go with Rodney, Sierra, Carolyn, or Tyler as being potential boots.

Edited by LadyChatts

Bringing this quote of Jeff's over from the speculation thread:

With Rodney, I hope to talk to his mom to hear her take on her son.

Then obviously his mom didn't make it out there for a family visit. Either Rodney goes next or he had someone else on the list to appear.

If it is "Shakespearean" and does in fact end "beautifully" maybe Dan uses it against Tyler as revenge for voting for him, sealing his fate.  Unfortunately, I think Dan and Mike are safe next week.  Right now I'd go with Rodney, Sierra, Carolyn, or Tyler as being potential boots.

I'd like to see that too, with the biggest probablies being Tyler or Sierra.  I wouldn't mind seeing Mike drag Dan and Will to the FTC because the tirades against them would redeem some of this season for me.  

If Probst is happy with this season so much I'm hoping that it means a big, strong man will win; one who was hanging by his fingernails week after week but managed to survive due to many consecutive IC wins.  Wouldn't Jeff consider that "iconic" in the way of Tom or BRob?  Gah, I wish someone knew for sure how this ends.

Regardless, perhaps women everywhere can learn the standards that we are to uphold to deserve her son!

Ha!  And then run in the other direction.

• Love 1

I don't know how schooled JP is on Shakespeare so it is probably futile to try to speculate on the future based on that comment as he is mostly like using it generally to  portray high drama, but its more fun than bashing contestants, I'm pretty sick of that.  What does "Shakespearian" mean to most people?.......... tragedy?  Tragedy based on misunderstandings, hidden events and secrets.    What would be tragic (excluding medical etc)? 

Betrayal (and or revenge)  would be my second association and that would fit a lot of scenarios.

Justice?  Doomed love (or alliance)?  Appearances vs. reality is a general theme according to some website. 

It all fits pretty well to Survivor actually.  We'll see if it lives up to the Bard.

• Love 1

I personally think that Mike is getting a "look how great he is, please vote him to be on Season 31" edit, but have a single thread of hope that it is a winner's edit.

With Shirin gone now I've decided that both her and Mike's edits were probably of the 'give these heroes another chance in season 31' variety, too.

. . . but its more fun than bashing contestants, I'm pretty sick of that.

I'm not! The only good thing about this season is seeing the overwhelming majority of viewers calling these people out for being the dicks they are.

• Love 3

Then obviously his mom didn't make it out there for a family visit. Either Rodney goes next or he had someone else

on the list to appear. 

Or he did not get chosen to get to see his loved one.  It is usually in a reward challenge.  Someone wins, gets to see their loved one then chooses 2 or 3 others to have their loved ones join them for lunch at the camp.  Some always get left out.  Way Wes Jr speculated this to be the reason Rodney is mad in the clip for next week, which I have not found yet.  

Edited by wings707

When Probst says the winner is iconic, to me I am hoping that can only refer to Mike.  There's nothing iconic about a player who sat back and did nothing for at least 1/2 the  game (Tyler) or a hotheaded loudmouth (Rodney).

Nothing about Tyler or Rodney points to a "Shakespearian" win either.  To me Shakespearian could refer to 1) Mike, the underdog, all alone, rising to conquer all, and 2) the "family" of 6 being torn apart from within.

Then obviously his mom didn't make it out there for a family visit. Either Rodney goes next or he had someone else on the list to appear.

Jeff wouldn't ask her about the comments her kid made when she as out visiting. So there is no way to say that he doesn't make it to the family visit. And it possible that there isn't a family visit, I don't think there was one last season. If there was, I don't remember it

To me, "Shakespearean" means that it's like classical (Greek, I guess) tragedy.  The hero has a tragic flaw that he is blind to and/or cannot overcome (or that he tries valiantly to overcome but the gods have other things in mind, like Oedipus, though I guess that was a prophecy not a trait).  Anyway, that flaw ends up being his downfall.

Othello = jealousy

Macbeth = ambition

Hamlet = indecision/inability to act

To me it would be Shakespearean if Dan ends up facing a predominantly female jury and man-splains his way into oblivion.

But I think JP just means  "epic."

Edited by Special K
  • Love 4

I look at the Shakespearean quote as either tragedy or betrayal.  Because it's Survivor, I'm leaning towards betrayal and perhaps someone avenging themselves or another.  Which is why I think Dan could use his second vote to get Tyler or maybe even his #1 ally Carolyn out.  Which to me is completely petty and nothing Shakespearean about it, since we've seen people targeted for revenge before.  I'm hoping it is tragedy, in that Dan is such a baffoon that he either misuses the vote or gets voted out without using it and it's such a tragedy to see him look like more of a bumbling fool than normal. A tragic-comedy.

Edited by LadyChatts

Epic could also mean that Dan uses it in a manner that completely backfires. I am hoping for this scenario. Hell, Jenn flat out said that it is great that Dan got it because it was doomed to fail with him having the advantage.

• Love 3

If it were Shakespearean everyone would end up dead on the beach and Probst would tell the audience how their own vaulting ambitions were their downfall. Alas.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 13

And it possible that there isn't a family visit, I don't think there was one last season. If there was, I don't remember it

There wasn't one last season because it was BvW so they all had their family with them. They did do a loved ones visit in Cagayan. And in Joe's Ponderosa vid he was very sad that he didn't get to have his dad visit him, so the players are under the impression there will be a loved ones visit. But then again they did get all those letters so a loved ones visit would seem kind of redundant.

What does "Shakespearian" mean to most people?

To me it means that Carolyn, Will and Rodney will relay prophetic visions of Mike's inevitable victory while the trio huddles around a boiling cauldron on the fire. Dan will become jealous, leading to his murder. Later, Dan will appear at the reward challenge and haunt the remaining contestants.

• Love 2
(edited)

They've had love letters/videos before and still did a visit (though that makes them getting sappy all the more eye-roll worthy for me).  There have been seasons where they haven't, but there's been very few that I can recall.  Maybe they just get people on stand by in case?  I almost wouldn't mind if they skipped it this season.  I would think something like that would be in the previews.  According to Jeff's EW tease "It's Rodney's birthday!"  So maybe part of the reward is a big fat birthday cake, but Rodney loses again, and that leads to his blow up.  Oh, and no presents.  Maybe that's part of the reward and the contestants steal his presents, too.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
(edited)

Jeff misused the term "jumping the shark."  I have a hunch he is not using the term Shakespearean correctly either.   Since he is so excited about this season, the only conclusion I can draw is Mike wins against all odds.  I think he means dramatic.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
(edited)

During the night I was considering what else Shakespearean could mean.  Maybe a comedy?  Hali and Joe disguise themselves as each other and plot to make enemies Will and Shirin fall in love.  Dan plays the fool.  Hilarity ensues.  Shenanigans abound.  Everyone ends up paired up (except for Rodney who can't find a woman to meet his standards) and they live happily ever after.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2
(edited)

Dan: "Shall I compare me to a summer's day? I know I'm lovely and temperate, but damn are my moobs sweaty. Alas, it's hot!"

Rodney: "To vote for me, or to not vote for me. It should not not even be a question. Look at my bahdy. What does it say?"

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 8

It doesn't have to be a Shakespearean play.  Dude wrote sonnets too.  Maybe Dan is gonna lay down some sick verse on us.

What rhymes with "victim"?

Adopted rhymes with victim right?

• Love 15

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but Shirin's interview with Reality TV World seems to indicate that Rodney doesn't make it to the finals: "Tyler still would've beaten him in the end."

From the Interview:

Reality TV World: Rodney also does really good impressions of Mike. (Laughs)

Shirin Oskooi: Oh my God, his impressions of Mike, his impressions of the show doctor -- he did impressions of everybody. Even [survivor host Jeff Probst]. Oh my God. His Jeff impression. And, you know, in a season of a bunch of terrible people and a sea of awful people, humor goes such a long way.

And no, I didn't realize how strategic he was at the time. I didn't realize he's the one who cobbled together the axes of evil. But once I was out of the game, it became much clearer that -- I was like, "Oh right, everyone wants to go to the end with Rodney and Will. Rodney controls Will's vote, so, Rodney is actually the most dangerous person out there right now."

And now it's like, "Why didn't we see that?!" That said, Tyler still would've beaten him in the end. And so that's why I think, you know, we were trying to paint a real target on Tyler's back.

Tyler is the biggest threat right now. He's not doing a whole lot strategically. He's just sitting there and looking pretty. However, doing that -- again, in a sea of ugly people -- to just sit there and not really say much, guess what? You're going to do pretty well.

Link to full interview:  http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-shirin-oskooi-talks-survivor-worlds-apart-%28part-1%29-17850.php

(edited)

Between that, Joe talking about Mike getting it "from the back rows" (with the impersonations), and Jenn/Hali having a different impression of Rodney and his game, I'm also thinking he falls short of the finals.  I won't be surprised if he winds up going this week.  Break up his alliance, cut the head off of the snake as Mike said.  I'm thinking a final 4 of Mike, Dan, Tyler, and either Will or Carolyn.  Maybe throw Sierra in there over the last 2, but I have a feeling they will want to get rid of her for being likable.

Edited by LadyChatts

Taking the word iconic out of the discussion I still maintain that there is no one that he would be excited about, for the win, other than Mike.

Well, maybe not.  Rodney. Lets take a look.   What an odd guy in the line up of winners.  That could be exciting to Jeff.  Against all odds this abrasive yet genuine to himself, wins because his moves were actually smart.  He made a sub alliance.  None of them saw him as a winner so they ate the identified threats (Tyler and Carolyn) and he won against the people who sat beside him, Will and Dan.  I am back to thinking it really could go this way.

• Love 2