Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
David T. Cole

Unsolved Mysteries

25 years long overdue.  This case was one blown opportunity after another in the beginning; it never should have taken this long to solve.  I’m sure Paul Flores and his family thought he got away with it.  

• Like 6

4 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

25 years long overdue.  This case was one blown opportunity after another in the beginning; it never should have taken this long to solve.  I’m sure Paul Flores and his family thought he got away with it.  

It's about fucking time. I knew it was him the first time I saw the segment and he was found to have lied about her not being in his room.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/paul-flores-taken-custody-connection-160505799.html

Edited by Dr.OO7
  • Like 6

I hadn't realized it had been that long since she disappeared. It made me feel so old when I read it. It's sad she wasn't able to grow old too. I hope her family and friends finally get real answers eventually.

• Like 5

https://www.google.com/amp/s/denver.cbslocal.com/2021/04/09/cold-case-arrest-michael-jefferson-charged-murdering-roger-dean-1985/amp/

Here’s another old UM case that recently got a break this week.  The case of Colorado man Roger Dean, who was shot several times and killed while fighting with an intruder.  There was speculation in this case that Roger may have staged the break in at his home and was going to go willing with the intruder to get money out of his personal bank account, and then keep it for himself for whatever reason.  After his murder, his wife began being extorted with threats against her and her grown daughter, allegedly by the killer.  I’m posting this UM wiki for this case down below for those who don’t remember.

https://unsolvedmysteries.fandom.com/wiki/Roger_Dean

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Like 5

Is the original UM still in reruns? I don't have Netflix so I couldn't watch the reboot even if I wanted to.

1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Is the original UM still in reruns? I don't have Netflix so I couldn't watch the reboot even if I wanted to.

Here's the link to the official UM site that gives all the to where the original series can be viewed.

• Useful 4

Finally got around to season 2

Jack Wheeler

Yeah, I'm not buying the professional hit theory either. More like he had a bad episode which got worse as that night wore on. I think he forgot or lost his briefcase somewhere and it triggered a psychotic episode. It would explain why he went to the pharmacy.

Where did the hoodie come from? 

I also think he climbed into a dumpster for warmth or shelter (no matter how upstanding he was, mental illness doesn't care) and was tossed about in the compactor and dumped at the landfill without anyone noticing.

Dead Woman in Oslo

I honestly thought this case happened in the 1960's (I think there might have been a similar murder back then, though) not in 1995.

Someone must have paid someone a lot of money to keep the case under the radar. Checking into the hotel without ID, the mystery man, no camera footage ... 

I promise that not all Belgian mayors are not like the one depicted. He just seemed so excited to be on tv. Perhaps she passed through there once, or visited at some point. I think I read an article about the people who own the phone number on the check in card. They hold a similar theory, but they're equally baffled about it.

It's a shame that the city didn't at least pay for a modest headstone. Something to mark where she is should someone come looking. 

• Like 6

On 5/9/2021 at 3:24 PM, Aliferously said:

I honestly thought this case happened in the 1960's (I think there might have been a similar murder back then, though) not in 1995.

You're probably thinking of the Isdal Woman, a woman who was found headfirst in a campfire at a forest in Norway in 1970. Investigators realized that she had checked into several hotels over the previous year under several different names, fueling speculation she was a spy. 

• Useful 3

Rey Rivera is a pretty good mystery. I don't think he committed suicide mostly because he could have done that by jumping off the hotel and they weren't able to explain how he ended up where he was. But his glasses and cellphone were found undamaged. Which makes no sense if he was murdered. Were they just left? But murder still makes more sense. Especially with his friend/boss refusing to talk or allow any of his employees talk and was once investigated by the SEC. The idea of the hole already being sounds possible. It makes more sense that he was murdered and dropped through the hole into a room never used then he some how was dropped or fell and crashed through the roof feet first. I hope they find out what happened.

In Patrice's case its really hard not to be suspicious of her husband. He immediately locks out her son and won't let him get any of his stuff? Then wanted to hold his wife's skull and sleeps with her ashes. I'd be more surprised if he didn't kill her.

House of Terror-Yeah the husband is still alive. If he was planning to commit suicide he would have done so at the house or the end of his weird road trip. It was all too well planned out. 

No Ride Home-Wow, that town pretty much had racist all over it, didn't it? They claimed to look for Alonzo but who knows. They wouldn't let the family come down to help search for him for a month? Then the family finds him and they decided it wasn't murdered? So Alonzo was so drunk he somehow ditched his shoes and hat and walked all the way down to the creek and fell in while his body somehow manage to stay hidden for a month until his family came to search for him? Yeah, that makes sense. I agree his body was hidden until that point. Nothing else makes sense. The reason why his friends left him at the party makes no sense. One friend gets lost when going to get cigarettes and just doesn't come back? He calls someone to tell him to tell Adam to give him a ride. Alonzo was having a great time. But then another friend said there had been argument or something. 

The UFO story was really interesting. So many different people with stories and after a long distance. I love UFO and other mysteries like that. I don't know if I believe them as much as I want to believe them.

The last case wasn't really a mystery. Everyone knows what happened. Sandy and her boyfriend killed Lena the same way they killed Gary. They just can't prove it. It was weird the one sister who said their mom was a great mom. Nothing that we heard about her soundned like a great mom. Going from man to man, married men, husband's brother, and using Lena to "enforce" the rest of the girls? 

Season Two
Jack Wheeler-I really think he just had mental break most likely from his biopolar. Every video he looked more and more a mess and paraniod. He probably left his briefcase somewhere in the middle of it. Maybe in a fight or maybe just crawled into the trash can? I can really see either one happening. 

Death in Oslo-Suicide seems unlikely given the placement of the gun. There was a small window when the killer could have left. The intelligent agent makes a lot of sense given how far she went to hide her identity and brought very with her. Why no pants or anything? Also, why did she have so many bullets with her? 

Death Row Fugitive-This was infuriating. So they let a man with a life sentence and murdered a child go Christmas Shopping? What the hell is wrong with people? He wasn't some petty criminal or something. What did they think would happen? How the hell did he get approved for that? And thewarrent for his arrest just disappeared from the system? His father's an asshole too. The whole he hope he changed? Your son murderd a child. It doesn't get worse then that. His family is definitely hiding him. 

Tsunami Spirits-I really loved learning about Japanese culture and how spiritual they are. The way they think of death. It was all really fascinating. I loved the monk. I do have mixed thoughts on ghosts. Some stories really did feel like PTSD or how they dealt with what happened. Some of the stories were just so heartbreaking. The man who gave the number of how many co-workers died and the woman who lost one child and trying to raise her other. The child wanting to apologize for letting go of her brother's hand. I loved the taxi cabs giving rides to ghosts and paying the fares. 

Lady in the Lake-Another suicide that makes no sense. So she walked down and slid down and walked into the lake. But they weren't able to find the body? It ended up being found further away? Why was the car moved and brought back? What about the alarm that went off? So how did her body get there if it was suicide? I think the brother knows what happened. He was too suspicious. 

Stolen Kids-Those poor mothers. I lean more towards the kids being stolen to because someone wanted to be a mother or adoption or something. Having to search that whole area and all of those apartments? There's no way to do that quickly. The two kids seem fishy why were they so determined to play with him? But I can't imagine them keeping quiet so long or even after being interviewed by police. The pictures of the other missing children was heartbreaking. I hope their found.

The different setup of the show took awhile to get used to but I ended up liking it. No one can replace Robert Stack. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

Rey Rivera is a pretty good mystery. I don't think he committed suicide mostly because he could have done that by jumping off the hotel and they weren't able to explain how he ended up where he was. But his glasses and cellphone were found undamaged. Which makes no sense if he was murdered. Were they just left? But murder still makes more sense. Especially with his friend/boss refusing to talk or allow any of his employees talk and was once investigated by the SEC. The idea of the hole already being sounds possible. It makes more sense that he was murdered and dropped through the hole into a room never used then he some how was dropped or fell and crashed through the roof feet first. I hope they find out what happened.

In Patrice's case its really hard not to be suspicious of her husband. He immediately locks out her son and won't let him get any of his stuff? Then wanted to hold his wife's skull and sleeps with her ashes. I'd be more surprised if he didn't kill her.

House of Terror-Yeah the husband is still alive. If he was planning to commit suicide he would have done so at the house or the end of his weird road trip. It was all too well planned out. 

No Ride Home-Wow, that town pretty much had racist all over it, didn't it? They claimed to look for Alonzo but who knows. They wouldn't let the family come down to help search for him for a month? Then the family finds him and they decided it wasn't murdered? So Alonzo was so drunk he somehow ditched his shoes and hat and walked all the way down to the creek and fell in while his body somehow manage to stay hidden for a month until his family came to search for him? Yeah, that makes sense. I agree his body was hidden until that point. Nothing else makes sense. The reason why his friends left him at the party makes no sense. One friend gets lost when going to get cigarettes and just doesn't come back? He calls someone to tell him to tell Adam to give him a ride. Alonzo was having a great time. But then another friend said there had been argument or something. 

The UFO story was really interesting. So many different people with stories and after a long distance. I love UFO and other mysteries like that. I don't know if I believe them as much as I want to believe them.

The last case wasn't really a mystery. Everyone knows what happened. Sandy and her boyfriend killed Lena the same way they killed Gary. They just can't prove it. It was weird the one sister who said their mom was a great mom. Nothing that we heard about her soundned like a great mom. Going from man to man, married men, husband's brother, and using Lena to "enforce" the rest of the girls? 

Season Two
Jack Wheeler-I really think he just had mental break most likely from his biopolar. Every video he looked more and more a mess and paraniod. He probably left his briefcase somewhere in the middle of it. Maybe in a fight or maybe just crawled into the trash can? I can really see either one happening. 

Death in Oslo-Suicide seems unlikely given the placement of the gun. There was a small window when the killer could have left. The intelligent agent makes a lot of sense given how far she went to hide her identity and brought very with her. Why no pants or anything? Also, why did she have so many bullets with her? 

Death Row Fugitive-This was infuriating. So they let a man with a life sentence and murdered a child go Christmas Shopping? What the hell is wrong with people? He wasn't some petty criminal or something. What did they think would happen? How the hell did he get approved for that? And the warrent for his arrest just disappeared from the system? His father's an asshole too. The whole he hope he changed? Your son murderd a child. It doesn't get worse then that. His family is definitely hiding him. 

Tsunami Spirits-I really loved learning about Japanese culture and how spiritual they are. The way they think of death. It was all really fascinating. I loved the monk. I do have mixed thoughts on ghosts. Some stories really did feel like PTSD or how they dealt with what happened. Some of the stories were just so heartbreaking. The man who gave the number of how many co-workers died and the woman who lost one child and trying to raise her other. The child wanting to apologize for letting go of her brother's hand. I loved the taxi cabs giving rides to ghosts and paying the fares. 

Lady in the Lake-Another suicide that makes no sense. So she walked down and slid down and walked into the lake. But they weren't able to find the body? It ended up being found further away? Why was the car moved and brought back? What about the alarm that went off? So how did her body get there if it was suicide? I think the brother knows what happened. He was too suspicious. 

Stolen Kids-Those poor mothers. I lean more towards the kids being stolen to because someone wanted to be a mother or adoption or something. Having to search that whole area and all of those apartments? There's no way to do that quickly. The two kids seem fishy why were they so determined to play with him? But I can't imagine them keeping quiet so long or even after being interviewed by police. The pictures of the other missing children was heartbreaking. I hope their found.

The different setup of the show took awhile to get used to but I ended up liking it. No one can replace Robert Stack. 

As a watcher and listener of true crime podcasts and TV shows, including binge watching the Stack era of Unsolved Mysteries many times, are there any cases people wish the new reboot would cover?  Or maybe re-cover, since new evidence may have been brought to light since the case originally aired on Unsolved Mysteries?  I've discovered a lot of new cases thanks to this era of the true crime and, of course, the internet.  And especially with the advancements with these DNA websites that they've made in identifying Jane and John Does, and finding killers and rapists through these sites.  I think older cases might especially benefit from a fresh look.  Some of the ones I'd love to see covered/re-visited:

Two cases that were previously featured on UM: The Boys on the Track (Don Henry and Kevin Ives-there's been a lot that's come out about this case in recent years, and I'd love to see a fresh, updated take), and Adam Emery (he was the guy who killed a young man in a road rage incident, and was convicted of the murder, then he and his wife disappeared off the Newport Bridge in RI in an apparent double suicide-yet only his wife's remains were ever found.  I've been surprised that investigators are acting as though Adam is alive somewhere out there.  So if he did fake his own death and is living the high life out there, he's an even bigger sleaze than I already thought, so I'd love if an updated UM broadcast could lead to him getting captured.)

These other ones I don't recall ever being featured on the show: The Murder/Accidental Death (depending what side your on) of Kendrick Johnson; the murder of Evelyn Hernandez/unknown whereabouts of her 5 year old son and unborn baby; the missing "Springfield Three" (Sherrill Levitt, Suzie Streeter, and Stacey McCall), and another missing trio "Fort Worth Trio" (Rachel Trlica, Lisa Wilson, Julie Moseley); the disappearance of Asha Degree; the Villisca Axe Murder house, which could double as both a true crime story and a supernatural one.

And I'd love to see a profile on serial killer Belle Gunness, because she's another one who may have died or cleverly faked her own death 

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Like 3

On 5/28/2021 at 9:42 PM, andromeda331 said:

Death Row Fugitive-This was infuriating. So they let a man with a life sentence and murdered a child go Christmas Shopping? What the hell is wrong with people? He wasn't some petty criminal or something. What did they think would happen? How the hell did he get approved for that? And thewarrent for his arrest just disappeared from the system? His father's an asshole too. The whole he hope he changed? Your son murderd a child. It doesn't get worse then that. His family is definitely hiding him. 

Now that I did watch these two episodes and didn't want to edit my previous one:.

Death Row Fugitive

He must have been one charismatic son of a bitch to pull that off.

Or he bought off the guards. 

In the era before the Internet, I am sure lots of important warrants never came to pass. It's why we have such a wealth of unsolved mystery reality shows. Because people delayed reporting a sister missing or someone assigned typing up an arrest warrant decided to go get coffee instead.

Japanese Ghosts.

I liked the Japanese spirituality angle too. 

Those reconstructions though. I understand that they think it's normal, but driving into your garage to find a bunch of strangers standing there would creep me out beyond measure. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 8:38 AM, sioux21 said:

The thing that I just couldn't understand was how Rob was saying he was sleeping with the ashes, but then opened the box saying it was the first time he ever saw the ashes. Did he mean that he slept with the box, but never opened it to look? 

Late to the party (I finally started watching the series!) but thought I'd share a possibility, since that struck me as odd too. When my father died, my mother had some cremains set aside for family members. We each got a little knick-knack with some ashes in it, while the rest of the cremains were kept in a box in the closet. I thought maybe Rob had asked for cremains to also be put aside separately and who knows, maybe he put them inside a doll or a pillow. Normally I believe in "whatever gets you through the day," and grief does crazy things to people, but the husband was in a different league of crazy.

• Like 3