Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

All I have to say is: can't wait for the holiday special "Rabbit, the Other Reindeer"!

I liked Av..... (sorry, can't remember his name)'s response to Alex chiding him for not knowing the names of Santa's reindeer -- "Well, Alex, I am a rabbinical school student."  Best comeback ever after a really bad guess.

• Love 4

I guess I'm not surprised that he didn't get FJ because apparently he's not allowed to know pop culture but I'm surprised the lady in the middle didn't get it. That was the first name I thought of.

I didn't like his snark to Alex about the rabbit because if you really don't know the story, why would you guess?

I also was surprised that only one contestant got FJ right and the other two couldn't even come up with a guess. It took me a moment to recall that Audrey Hepburn did indeed win an Oscar, because I knew she was passed over for My Fair Lady (in favor of Julie Andrews, who wasn't considered famous enough at the time to reprise her stage role as Eliza!).

Long Day's Journey Into Night was another thing I thought the teacher should have known. Did she ever say what she taught? I thought the story of her preemie son's diaper was very touching, although it was pretty heavy stuff for a contestant interview. Fortunately it had a happy ending.

I'm sorry I missed the rabbinical student's winning game last night. I loved his glee when his winning total was announced at the beginning of today's show. I thought his "Hey, I'm a rabbinical student" comment was an allusion to ignorance about Christmas trivia, not pop culture in general. 

• Love 1

Re tonight's FJ, the lady on the end doesn't know her vertical from her horizontal; otherwise she was on the right track with the symbol pertaining to money.  The fellow in the middle made no sense with his guess of NATO.  I did not get Euro; in fact, I had no guess whatsoever.

The contestants did very well in the Doowop category even though that era was before their time.  Not before my time though so I got all correct.  I like doowop:)

The question about radio waves not penetrating the metal of a car so you need this;  answer was antenna but I said aerial - would they have accepted that?

Instaget FJ.

I imagine that's pretty far down Sony's priority list - and I wouldn't want to inject so much as my email address into its system right now - so maybe you can find it elsewhere instead.  If you pull up the print version of the NYT on its website, does it show?  Is there a Twitter account for Jeopardy?  Maybe you could suggest they tweet the FJ clue each day.

I had to laugh at the thought of Dr. Jenner injecting his patients with mad cow disease.

Loved Rowena's comeback to be in the lead at the end of DJ.  Too bad she got FJ wrong, I would have liked to see her win.  But I like the current champ too so it's all good with me.  I thought FJ was obvious but I guess not to everyone.

I also loved the Art & History category even though I only got a couple of the answers - it seemed like an old school Jeopardy sort of category.

Ugh, another clue containing "woman author."

So bloody offensive!  Had the dedication been to a man, would the clue read "... to this male [or, in J! grammar, man] author ..."?  Not in a million years.  Assholes.

• Love 5

Does anyone have an idea about how to get the FJ question from the NYT back up on the jeopardy Sony board?  I can't find any kind of contact number for Sony.  I really need the question ahead of time - it's part of the fun to research it if I don't have a guess...

This site is up to date, but I have no idea when they post it--

http://fikklefame.com/tag/jeopardy/

Rowena's come from behind as the most exciting recovery I've seen on this show. She was clearly having trouble with buzzer timing for most of the game, but I guess she finally got it near the end.

Not getting the Twilight reference is almost something to be proud of, as far as I'm concerned.

There was a response they rules wrong tonight, which I thought they should have accepted. But now I can't remember what it was.

• Love 3

Probably energy efficiency instead of weather stripping. I thought it was a bad clue and expected them to credit her later, but they didn't!

Didn't the clue refer to a how-to video? If it was specifically about weather-stripping, then I can see energy efficiency not being correct. My answer was weather-proofing, which I think would have been accepted, but I'm not sure.

Another answer that was ruled wrong but I questioned was 'asphalt.' I can't remember how the clue was worded.

I don't like that "descendants" was accepted as an answer. The category was quotes, and the original speaker said "children," so while children are your descendants, that's not the quote. She didn't win anyways so it doesn't matter but I would think in a category about quotes you should get the quote right.

• Love 8

I don't like that "descendants" was accepted as an answer. The category was quotes, and the original speaker said "children," so while children are your descendants, that's not the quote. She didn't win anyways so it doesn't matter but I would think in a category about quotes you should get the quote right.

I was going to post the same thing.  They should have never accepted that. 

It's not only a translation, it's a translation of an expression "believed" to be used by "native Americans"--so there's really no original quote to be getting it right in relation to. It wasn't like the other quotes which were attributed to specific people from specific sources. I think they had to give it to her.

• Love 5

Didn't the clue refer to a how-to video? If it was specifically about weather-stripping, then I can see energy efficiency not being correct. My answer was weather-proofing, which I think would have been accepted, but I'm not sure.

I think a "be more specific" might have been warranted for "energy efficiency," but the clue just wasn't great, in my opinion.

A Home Depot how-to video on this says "one of the easiest ways to save is by making our homes airtight"

Dien Bien Phu going unanswered really surprised me.

I suspect the poetry clues were over-valued; that is one of my weaker areas, yet I ran the category.

I wanted to finish the '80s music category.

Happy New Year, all.

Is MOR really the acronym for 'Museum of the Rockies' ?  Because it seems like it's missing a letter -- namely the 'T'.  I've never heard of the place before, so the clue indicating it was in Montana didn't help at all.  I checked the website, and that is the acronym that they go by, but that just seems weird.  That's like 'President of the United States' being represented by POUS instead of POTUS.

And did Alex pronounce Afonso as 'Alfonso' in that Henry the Navigator question ?  Because I heard Alfonso.

FJ clue was ridiculously easy.

Is MOR really the acronym for 'Museum of the Rockies' ?  Because it seems like it's missing a letter -- namely the 'T'.  I've never heard of the place before, so the clue indicating it was in Montana didn't help at all.  I checked the website, and that is the acronym that they go by, but that just seems weird.  That's like 'President of the United States' being represented by POUS instead of POTUS.

And did Alex pronounce Afonso as 'Alfonso' in that Henry the Navigator question ?  Because I heard Alfonso.

FJ clue was ridiculously easy.

Sometimes acronyms don't make total sense.  I think they go for making them easy to say (MOR being easier than MOTR).  And I agree that FJ was RIDICULOUSLY  easy.  Great game though.  They were all good contestants.

I knew MOR but I've lived in Montana. FJ was super easy and I've never seen that show.

I thought it was a good game, too, but again with the buzzer flailing. I guess that's a sore spot with me.

I enjoyed the Robin Hood theme in the first round.

• Love 1

I got FJ right away, too, but what I found interesting is that the category was Television. The first thing I said (after the response) was, "Wait -- that isn't technically television." At least not in the traditional sense. It's a web series. Just being super-nitpicky.

• Love 3

I didn't actually know this FJ, but I deduced that there were only two possibilities--cosmetic surgery or an abortion. Given 1923 I didn't think an abortion would have been public enough for the clue, so that left cosmetic surgery. I had no idea what kind of surgery though--does anyone think that "cosmetic surgery" would have been good enough for an answer, or would it have to be a nose job?

I think it would have had to be a nose job. I remember Babs getting a lot of pressure to get one when she started out. I'm glad she didn't. She's always had a unique look.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 1

Just saw a commercial for TBS's show, King of the Nerds. One of the contestants is Colby, can't remember his last name. Teacher Tournament winner and face in a perpetual sneer.