Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I was waiting for a Back to the Future reference in that Delorean clue.  How could they not ?  Without that movie association, the Delorean would be on the dust heap of history with the Tucker 48 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tucker_48) and the Bricklin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bricklin_SV-1).

The Delorean was a seriously cool car. There was a guy here who had one and I'd always go stare at it when he parked it on the street. I love gull-wing doors and was screaming at the TV when that guy said seagull doors.

Seriously, no one got FJ? *face plant*

• Love 2

Without that movie association, the Delorean would be on the dust heap of history with the Tucker 48 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tucker_48) and the Bricklin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bricklin_SV-1).

I haven't thought about the Bricklin in years! Ah, nostalgia.

I got FJ at the last second. I believe I was thinking along the same line as the three contestants. Since the short story was called "The Man Who Was Never Born," I was trying to come up with an eponymous movie title (like The Third Man, Citizen Kane, and The Invisible Man). But It's A Wonderful Life suddenly came to me.

I'm glad Kurt won. I love the story he told about his wife and the jar of things she loves about him.  

• Love 1

FJ is the only part of the episode I saw tonight.  I knew it almost instantly, possibly because I was recently stating on another forum why I absolutely cannot stand that film (and similar discussion took place in the Movies forum here).  The title of the source material immediately took me to the "what life would be like had someone never existed" scenario, which, combined with the year, brought It's a Wonderful Life right to mind.  But I'm sure it being fresh in my mind because of the "I hate this movie" discussion was an influence.

I'm surprised none of them got it.  But I loved Rooks' "Oh, crap" reaction upon Alex's seasonal hint.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I thought Tuesday's FJ was laughably easy, and was rolling my eyes.  Shocked that it was an instaget for me, and not for the contestants.  Wonder if the fact that I'm watching in December and it was filmed much earlier had a bearing on it?

I felt like a total idiot when Alex made the comment about it being on tv in December, because I instantly knew what film it was THEN.  But when I saw the clue, for some reason I started thinking about spy-type movies (even though 1946 would've been too soon for Cold War stuff); I didn't come up with an answer, but given a little more time probably would've said The Third Man.  The title of the story which inspired It's A Wonderful Life made me think of Cold War thrillers, I guess.

Re FJ, I too first thought of The Invisible Man, but read the short story title again and switched to It's a Wonderful Life - I probably would even have had time to write it down.  I was very surprised that it was a ts.

I hate that movie SO freakin' much, that I completely block it from my functioning brain cells.  I never would have come up with the correct response.

This. I loathe It's a Wonderful Life. I cannot express how much I hate it, so I did not get FJ. When Alex said the movie played a lot in December, I knew the answer, but pretty much all I know about the movie is how much I hate it.

• Love 2

It seemed that, like me, they thought they were just looking for the tip. I forget the clue phrasing. I remember going "ooooh, tricky", then realizing it was like a $200 dollar clue.

Edited by GaryE

So many bizarre wrong answers in Friday's game. I forget what most of them were, but guessing that Amelia Earhart had something to do with WWII was one of them.

Yeah, she was long dead (probably) by then.

I thought Ireland was a very obvious answer for FJ, since it shares a border with the UK who still drive on the left side of the road.  I didn't really think about the other two countries but it's logical that they would be islands.

I get DJ, I get FJ but I am at a loss with TS and TJ.

TS is triple stumper, also sometimes known as a "stand and stare".  I don't know what TJ is.

Pipped at the post by Totale.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

And I would love to give you context for my TJ query but, well, I guess I need my eyes checked because I am now unable to find even one sighting!

But thanks for TS. It's safe to say I would never have figured that one out. Makes good sense but I think I could have used QS (Quadruple?) for Friday's show as I think I managed to answer/ask as many incorrectly as the three contestants.

And I truly surprised myself with a correct "Verona" for that FJ balcony. Not big into Shakespeare.

I'm surprised FJ only required one of the three countries; to me, Ireland is essentially a given since it shares a border (and it would be illogical for the roads to suddenly switch at that border) and thus a second one should be required.

I'm surprised no one commented on the "A Little T & A" category -- kind of "PG-13" for a game show, don'cha think?

I thought so too; but none of the contestants even giggled.

• Love 1

I'm surprised FJ only required one of the three countries; to me, Ireland is essentially a given since it shares a border (and it would be illogical for the roads to suddenly switch at that border) and thus a second one should be required.

Yeah, my husband had a good laugh about the Poland response for that reason. He was trying to imagine what sort of over/underpasses, or car lifts, or flashing warning lights would be involved at every Polish border if they drove on the other side of the road!

• Love 2

I was just in Ireland this past fall, so I was yelling it at the tv. (The border between the republic and the north is not even visible on the highway, since we had no idea when we changed countries, unlike when my mom was there 15+ years ago, when they had to go through a security checkpoint.)

Edited by Sharpie66

I know it has to be hard, and I'm sure that those of you who have done it can attest to the disappointment. I mean, all I did was take the Sports Jeopardy! test and it was hard to leave knowing I didn't make it.

But Carly's palpable sadness when she was wrong and her mopey demeanor when going to the next clue made me uncomfortable and was pretty off-putting.

Also, I really wanted to know the last clues in the Sports Championships and Keep on Truckin' categories.

• Love 2

When the contestant answered Alicia Silverstone instead of Kristy Swanson as the originator of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer role, Alex reminded him the category dealt with the films (not the TV series).  Did he conflate Silverstone and Sarah Michelle Gellar or did Silverstone play the role at some point I'm not aware of?  (I never watched the film or series, but I know Swanson and Gellar starred in them.)

I loved the clause category, and wanted to finish that as badly as the sports championships and trucking categories.

I can't believe none of them figured out fast lane and slow lane even if they didn't know the lingo.  Roll-over (accident) was a bit surprising as a TS, too.

Edited by Bastet

What was the exact wording of the FJ clue?  I thought it asked who invented the word "robot," which would be Karel Capek in "R.U.R," but that was much earlier than the year in the clue (1947?).

• Love 1

Bert is Gwen Ifill's brother!

That's interesting.  I was pulling for him to win.  He was really smart (well, so is the champ).  I didn't understand why he didn't bet either all or most of his money for FJ.  He was probably going to end up in 2nd place, at best, with what he did bet.  He actually could have won.

• Love 2

When the contestant answered Alicia Silverstone instead of Kristy Swanson as the originator of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer role, Alex reminded him the category dealt with the films (not the TV series).  Did he conflate Silverstone and Sarah Michelle Gellar or did Silverstone play the role at some point I'm not aware of?  (I never watched the film or series, but I know Swanson and Gellar starred in them.)

Alicia Silverstone had nothing to do with Buffy at all so I don't know why Alex said that reminder about the films. Especially considering the contestants weren't having trouble with the category at all.

• Love 1

I got hung up on thinking it was Capek as well (although I couldn't remember his name, just "R.U.R."). My second thought was Asimov because of his 3 Laws of Robotics, though, so I might have written him down when I couldn't think of Capek if I was on that stage.

The grammar category had a direct quotation followed by an attribution: Something like: "Blah, blah," John said.  The clue had a comma outside of the quotation mark, but Standard American usage has it inside. I don't think this clue was about punctuation, but still. 

• Love 1

They did it again with the weird judging in the Authors category again tonight when the contestant in the 3rd position (Melissa) answered "What is Lewis ?" for the Sinclair Lewis clue.  Alex should have pressed for more information on that, after all it was a $1000 clue.  She could have meant C.S. or Jerry for all we know.

Avishai really mumbled through "what is" in some of his responses in the DJ round.

Overall, there were a lot of really easy clues in this game, and both DDs in the DJ round were at the $800 level which I haven't noticed for a while.

Seriously, the FJ answer was "What is the Grinch ?".  I know it's Xmas week and all, but that was ridiculously easy for an FJ clue so I'm surprised that only Avishai got it right.  Both Scrooge and Debbie Downer were way off as the clue indicated the 60s.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

First of all, did Alex really say "Beth Midler," or did I hear wrong?

Second, in a pretty easy game, that FJ was still pathetically easy.  I can't believe only 1 out of the 3 came up with "grinch" after they spotted 50s book, 60s TV special, mean, and killjoy in the clue.

And, unranked, I really liked Bert yesterday, and as a person who knows next to nothing about the wagering and strategery aspects of the game, I was still mystified by his FJ wager.  I wish he had bet to win, because he was really smart and personable, and seemed to have a good breadth of knowledge.  I too was wondering if he was related to Gwen Ifill as soon as he was introduced. Nice to know their connection.

Edited by Lois Sandborne
  • Love 2

First of all, did Alex really say "Beth Midler," or did I hear wrong?

Second, in a pretty easy game, that FJ was still pathetically easy.  I can't believe only 1 out of the 3 came up with "grinch" after they spotted 50s book, 60s TV special, mean, and killjoy in the clue.

And, unranked, I really liked Bert yesterday, and as a person who knows next to nothing about the wagering and strategery aspects of the game, I was still mystified by his FJ wager.  I wish he had bet to win, because he was really smart and personable, and seemed to have a good breadth of knowledge.  I too was wondering if he was related to Gwen Ifill as soon as he was introduced. Nice to know their connection.

I so agree.  I really, really wanted Bert to win for all the reasons you mentioned.   

And as for FJ, as soon as I saw "mean" as part of the clue, it was a no brainer.

• Love 1

Well, thanks to Directv's untimely reset at 7pm, and then my falling asleep during the first commercial break only to wake up just in time for the Final Jeopardy category, I saw almost nothing of the show, but I did get everything I saw correct.  And looking at the clues on J! Archive, I would've done well with this episode.  Oh well.

The grinch FJ was ridiculously easy to guess, but for the record I have never heard the word grinch used by anyone who was not specifically referring to some representation of the Seuss character.  I liked the high school teacher on the right, who seemed positively happy almost to the point of giddyness to be there, even though she got beat like a drum.