Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I really had no idea about FJ -- was not familiar with Dr. Cairns work so that part of the clue didn't help at all.

John really lucked out on that true DD about the emerald -- pulling it out of the air at the last second, but then Lauren had the Oregon Trail on her true DD which seemed really easy by comparison (they even drew it on a map and highlighted a couple of towns along the way).

I really had no idea about FJ -- was not familiar with Dr. Cairns work so that part of the clue didn't help at all.

I had no idea, but the only part of Lawrence of Arabia I remember seeing was the motorcycle accident at the start of the film.  I wasn't sure the time frame was right, but it was my wild guess.

...but then Lauren had the Oregon Trail on her true DD which seemed really easy by comparison (they even drew it on a map and highlighted a couple of towns along the way).

I knew it was wrong, but all I could think of was the Chisholm Trail.

I'm so simultaneously ridiculously pleased with myself and awestruck at the easy questions tonight that I was motivated to finally create an account here so I could post. My voice was cracking as I screamed "TE Lawrence!" in disbelief at the tv as it turned into a TS. Even my teenage son said it felt like the kiddie version. Although I was as bad at Ducks as the contestants, and much worse in LMN.

• Love 1

John really lucked out on that true DD about the emerald -- pulling it out of the air at the last second

I guessed emerald because of the agriculture connection. I don't know if John did the same.

I got FJ because of the movie. 

I'm not sure who Lauren reminded me of. Maybe a little Busy Phillips.

They could have given me all day with that FJ question and it wouldn't have helped one bit. I was trying to think of early British automakers (or any British automakers, since I have no idea when they got into the game), figuring that they would probably have been monkeying around with motorcycles as well.

As for the DD that Lauren got, I said, "hope you don't die of dysentery!" when I saw the clue.

• Love 1
John really lucked out on that true DD about the emerald -- pulling it out of the air at the last second.

He nearly gave me a heart attack.  I was so relieved he was able to get the right answer.  I had no idea from how they described the stone what it could be, so yay for him.

Despite having a real-life name that is nearly "T.E. Lawrence," I had no idea he died in a motorcycle accident, so I wouldn't have gotten it in a hundred years.  (My parents had no idea that they gave me a name that is only two letters off from Lawrence of Arabia's, and still think I'm odd because I made the connection when I was about ten.)

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 1

They could have given me all day with that FJ question and it wouldn't have helped one bit. I was trying to think of early British automakers (or any British automakers, since I have no idea when they got into the game), figuring that they would probably have been monkeying around with motorcycles as well.

That's exactly where my head went too, thinking either Mr. Rolls or Mr. Royce.  It's been so long since I've seen Lawrence of Arabia that I had totally forgotten the motorcycle crash.

I also got emerald - I thought Brazil was famous for its  emeralds.

I'm not sure who Lauren reminded me of. Maybe a little Busy Phillips

I was thinking a young Jenny McCarthy.

I was kind of hoping she would pull off the win so we would see her some more:  she's smart, attractive and athletic (hey, she likes to climb mountains).

I also got emerald - I thought Brazil was famous for its  emeralds.

Quetzalcoatal just made me go to Aztecs and that meant Mexico, which made me answer 'turquoise' even though I know turquoise isn't a beryl.  Maybe I read the clue wrong, because nothing made me think of Brazil at all.  But yes, it is famous for emeralds.

The FJ was easy for me because I only know of one famous Brit who died in a motorcycle crash and I've seen Lawrence of Arabia, so I got that one right away.  Interesting that it was his death which prompted the development of the motorcycle helmet - who said Jeopardy wasn't educational.

I loved The Who as a category, and got every answer before Alex had finished reading the clue; my best friend (who is a huge Who fan) would be so proud.  But really, no one got the Fillmore West?

I knew FJ because of the movie -  for some reason, I've seen the beginning of the movie lots of times.  Well, I probably watch the beginning when its on TCM but then run out of time to watch the rest.

Emerald was easy for me because they said it was in the beryl family.  I was surprised how he pulled it out at the last minute, though.  It seemed like something you would either know or not know right away.  Brazil in the clue probably helped.

Can someone explain to me the strategy of continuing in a category that you either answer wrong each time or don't answer at all? Especially when there are other categories to be tried? It seems like a waste of time.

I could not understand that -let category at all.

• Love 2

It seemed to be looking for two words, one of which consisted of the other word plus "let."

I was surprised at the Strangers on a Train mess. I thought it was pretty easy and then it was practically handed to the challenger on the end and she didn't get it.

• Love 4

Can someone explain to me the strategy of continuing in a category that you either answer wrong each time or don't answer at all? Especially when there are other categories to be tried? It seems like a waste of time.

I could not understand that -let category at all.

I've never understood that either. Why keep selecting from the same category when you have no clue.

It took me to the end of that -let thing to figure it out. And they wasted so much time fumbling around with it, they didn't clear the board.

FJ was an instaget. Why would a song about Iowa be in Oklahoma?

Apparently, I know very little about knots.

But I may have frightened my neighbors yelling, "Strangers on a Train!"

I liked the -let category, but there was one clue (that, of course, now I can't remember) that was phrased in a way that made me think they just wanted one of the two words, so even though I knew both I'd have got it wrong (unless Alex was feeling gracious with a prompt). 

• Love 2

I loved The Who as a category, and got every answer before Alex had finished reading the clue.

I forgot, I have a quibble with Alex!  He accepted "Who is Townshend?" as an answer.  I'm a pretty hardcore fan, so I know that Pete's much younger brother, Simon, tours with the band and has for years.  He sings parts of Tommy and plays second guitar.  So, Alex, so persnickety about making the contestant give first names -- I think you needed to clarify, sir!

• Love 3

I forgot, I have a quibble with Alex!  He accepted "Who is Townshend?" as an answer.  I'm a pretty hardcore fan, so I know that Pete's much younger brother, Simon, tours with the band and has for years.  He sings parts of Tommy and plays second guitar.  So, Alex, so persnickety about making the contestant give first names -- I think you needed to clarify, sir!

He accepted "Hall" for Michael C. Hall without a BMS prompt, so I'm over being surprised at what gets accepted now.

• Love 3

Would never have remembered Music Man if I'd had all day - to me that musical is "76 trombones"  and doesn't it have "Gary, Indiana"? 

I've seen the movie but remember only those two songs and Marian the Librarian. I may be wrong, but I thought the clue was suggesting that that song wasn't in later versions of the musical.

I could not understand that -let category at all.

It was super-confusing, but after two clues it dawned on me. The category was "Out, -let," so they wanted you to take out the letters "let" from one word to get another word. If Alex explained it in that way, I didn't catch it.

I guessed "The Music Man" for FJ, but I didn't recall that particular song. It's so totally overshadowed by all the brilliant show-stopping other songs ("Trouble," "Shipoopi," "Goodnight My Someone" to name only a few).

• Love 1

How do people remember the exact year of a book, movie or play?

For Music Man, that's easy since its the same year as West Side Story.  Heh, well, easy for Broadway fanatics.  For those who don't remember the song, its the song when Harold Hill first arrives in the town and is meeting the folks (the show takes places in Iowa).  For more info no one asked about, there is a song about Gary Indiana since that's where Harold Hill is from (and Winthrop can easily sing with his lisp).

• Love 6

I knew that the movie for Music Man was in 1962 or thereabouts, so the play version would definitely predate that by several years. I'm a big Broadway musical fan, so I got it immediately. But, I really missed on the "-let" category.

Edited by Sharpie66

I know nothing about Broadway, but I managed to guess my way into the FJ. It was the only thing I could think of that I thought had a Midwestern setting and might have come out around then. I did briefly wonder if there was a musical called State Fair (I see above that there was, and after Googling, that is in fact set in Iowa) and if that might be it, but I stuck with The Music Man. This was definitely a case where lack of knowledge helped - if I had known that parenthetical part, I would definitely have waffled and probably changed my answer.

FJ was an instaget because The Music Man is my favorite musical. I sang the song while the think music played.

Clue was along the lines of: Iowa Stubborn is the second song from this musical.

"We can be cold as our falling thermometers in December if you ask about our weather in July"

Edited by PaulaO
  • Love 1

The Category was Broadway Musicals and the clue was : "Iowa Stubborn" was the second song heard in this show when it opened in 1957.

You know, that's a badly written clue.  Its still the second song heard in the show in 2015.  It should have been "Iowa Stubborn" was the second song heard in this 1957 show.   Here's more useless trivia - its actually the first sung number - the first song is spoken.

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 1

I got home from trivia night at a bar, and having already been spoiled as to the results, refused to watch the show.  I'm such a huge musicals fan, and to me, this question was super easy, and I didn't really want to watch a show where a contestant wins with a bad guess on an easy musicals question.  Not only is Oklahoma not set in Iowa, but Oklahoma premiered in 1943.  Yes I know Oklahoma features a song "Kansas City," but I would think that the clue would hint that the show was set elsewhere if that was the case.  There's only three musicals I can name that are set in Iowa (and I can name a lot of obscure musicals), and one of those is very recent.  That leaves State Fair and Music Man, and Music Man is way, way more popular than State Fair.

What I don't get is that if John was assured of a victory, why did he bet anything at all on this category?  Judging by his guess, I'm thinking that Broadway Musicals is not a strong category for him, so why lose $5,000.  I remember seeing an interview with Ken Jennings about why he didn't like to make large FJ bets when he had a lock game and he mentioned that when you are assured of winning, you are essentially betting your own money.  If it's a category you are not strong in, it's not worth losing money over. 

Edited by Tigershark
  • Love 1

What I don't get is that if John was assured of a victory, why did he bet anything at all on this category?

I couldn't figure out what possessed him to do that.  I wouldn't have bet a dime on the category myself.  Although I did get the answer right, but only because I know it has a song about Gary, Indiana, and I thought Iowa was next to Indiana.  Which it isn't, I see upon checking an actual map.  (Yeah, Midwest geography isn't my best category, either.)

Edited by proserpina65

Would they have accepted "that guy who shot Lincoln" for John Wilkes Booth?  I recognized the picture but his name just wouldn't come to me.

Is it well known that Florida is so even?  I guessed Louisiana, thinking it was as low all over as at the Gulf of Mexico.

And of course today Alex needs a full name: Donatella Versace, because unlike Hall, Versace is such a common name.

Exactly!

I got FJ since I have a friend who lives there and he said that there aren't even any decent hills.

I live in New York (about two hours from where Lauren from the other day said she grew up in the Adirondacks) and we've been exploring that area and the Catskills more lately so I knew Florida because while we drive all over New York I like to look up random facts such as "what is the highest peak in (any random state I can think of)?" You can find all sorts of useless trivia that way.

And of course today Alex needs a full name: Donatella Versace, because unlike Hall, Versace is such a common name.

Not to say that Alex shouldn't have asked for more on the Michael C Hall clue, but I'm glad that Joshua didn't get away with just saying 'Versace.' 

For FJ, my first thought was Florida, then I started second-guessing myself and thought it might be Louisiana. I think I still would have said Florida though.

• Love 2

Is it well known that Florida is so even?  I guessed Louisiana, thinking it was as low all over as at the Gulf of Mexico.

My sister, who once lived in Florida, told me (semi-seriously) that the third highest point in Florida is Space Mountain at Disneyworld.

• Love 3