Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Seriously, spoiler that.  Have respect for the watchers who don't want to be spoiled.

Just a quick note to fellow posters:  I just used the ignore feature on previously.tv.  I went to my profile, clicked on Manage Ignore Preferences and added the user name of the poster who spoils the upcoming FJ, this way I can come to the Jeopardy thread and not be spoiled.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 2

Hated this game. I have to admit that I didn't know all of the TSs either. In the Ed category in one clue I knew it was Something the Confessor. I had forgotten what the category was.

I was screaming "Edward the Confessor, you idiots!" at the tv, but then, I was a medieval history major.  But soooo many TSs - ugh.  And wild, stupid guesses.  (I'll confess, though, that although I know what a howdah is, I couldn't remember the word to save my life at that moment.)

That was a really terrible game, worse than the one two nights ago and I thought that one was as bad as it could get.  Wrong.

Edited by proserpina65

I'm *not* a medieval history major and I knew Edward the Confessor.  The category being one inkling and "he admits it" or whatever that was that contained "admits" was the second inkling...and I wasn't even watching; I was in the kitchen, dishing up more chili, listening to the show.

But who's ever *read* about Raspberry Beret and *not* heard it?  Even Warren Zevon did a cover of it.

Two circumstances I can think of: reading a Prince discography, or having TV on with closed-captioning and no sound.

I was feeling so badly for Will going into DJ, but he just started flailing at answers and pouting so much that I was no longer invested....and then FJ happened! I got it right, which made me happy, and then Will pulled off a stunning victory. Weirdest show in  a while.

I felt bad for Will and totally understood why he looked so abject.  I thought he was going to go into FJ in the negative (he kept guessing so wildly).  I was glad he got the chance to participate in FJ and then he actually pulled it off.  I didn't think the other two were any better, really, but that was one of the strangest finishes I've ever seen.  I expected at least one of the other two to bid zero.

What the heck is up with Will? He was sighing almost the whole time and seemed disgusted by everything. I thought I even saw a couple eyerolls. Today was my first time seeing him and I was wondering if he'd been doing it the past 2 days.

• Love 1

I think he was annoyed with himself for doing poorly...and he really hasn't done well in the last two games.

I thought FJ was very easy. If you ask me to name any river in North America, that's the first one I'd think of :P And it made sense with the clue.

• Love 1

What the heck is up with Will? He was sighing almost the whole time and seemed disgusted by everything.

Will's sighing was really getting annoying.

What the hell was that about ?  Was he just bored ?  Did he have better things to do and was just killing time playing Jeopardy ?

And Sarah sounded just like Gretchen Wieners from Mean Girls.

True enough --  I thought she was really cute though.

I thought FJ was very easy. If you ask me to name any river in North America, that's the first one I'd think of :P And it made sense with the clue.

Especially with the 1534 date attached -- there weren't many named rivers in North America at that time.

• Love 1

Especially with the 1534 date attached -- there weren't many named rivers in North America at that time.

Exactly!  So I was embarrassed that it wasn't an instaget for me although I did get it in time to write it down.

New champ seems pretty solid; he might last awhile.

• Love 1

Sighing Will. Oy vey! Sheesh!

I finally got FJ after a few days of being clueless.

The new champ looks good. Hope he doesn't start sighing like an annoying teenager.

Gretchen did a good job, but her Minnie Mouse voice bugged me a bit.

Edited by CarpeDiem54

I'm on Arizona time, so I've learned to stay off the board after 12 pm or so. That being said, I don't want to know the FJ category or the clue in advance. I know there are people who like to do that, but I think it warrants a spoiler tag, just out of courtesy for those of us who would rather wait until we watch the episode. Just my two cents.

• Love 4

With all due respect, if you don't want to be spoiled you might want to avoid coming here until you've seen the show. The rest of us should be able to come and discuss it without slapping spoiler tags everywhere. The next thing you know we're going to have to spoiler tag regularly scheduled programs that have aired and not just syndicated.

• Love 6

Where I live now, Jeopardy airs at 3:30.  Where I lived earlier this year, in western Illinois, it was on at noon.  I've always tried to be non-specific and hopefully non-spoilerific when I post earlier than most about the day's show (a couple days ago, I said something like "I didn't see that ending coming, but I liked it").  In a perfect world, I would be able to remember the show and its questions five or six hours later, and then post about it, but it's not always possible.

TVaddict44 simply mentioned the category involved, not the answer, above.  I don't think she posted anything that needed spoiler tags.

To stay on topic, and avoid the dreaded boards-on-boards slaps on the wrist that TWoP was so fond of.... on Friday's show, I couldn't tell who was sighing, but it was damned annoying.  It was like being on public transit or working next to someone who has their own private drama going on.  I liked Will his first day, and who knows what he's like in a non-stress situation, but the sighing was really getting to me.

• Love 2

My 2 cents-- you have to come in here at your own risk.

My 2 cents-- you have to come in here at your own risk. I'll check in from watching it till sleep, then the next day,stay away, and catch up after I've seen the next one. And so on.

Edited by GaryE
  • Love 2

Hello, all! I have clarified the spoilers issue in this mod note. For the sake of picking a time, I made 7PM EST the threshold for the episode's specific air date. I think most of you post about the episode after this time. Before that, it's a spoiler so you can post in Spoilers or use spoiler tag. This does include categories. Once it gets to be about 10PM EST, I think the episode will have aired for most affiliates in the USA.

I hope this helps. Please PM me or post in the mod topic if you have any questions. Thank you!

• Love 3

I've got two cents that say the 7pm EST rule for that day's show works for me.  Yes, you'll have to wait some or be ambiguous if the show is on at noon where you live, but everyplace I've ever lived including now it's on in the early evening, and I'd rather not have this section of PTV be a no-go zone for 19 hours out of 24 every day for fear that I can't read or talk about yesterday's show without spoiling today's.  In fact any stated spoiler cutoff time would be fine with me, as long as everyone knows and follows along.

• Love 3

It actually airs at 2:30 where I live, which is earlier than anywhere else I've lived. Jeopardy belongs on at 7 pm, dammit. Followed by Wheel of Fortune to make me feel smart again if I bomb during Jeopardy.

I guess the time it airs shouldn't matter to me in the era of the DVR. I record Jeopardy since I rarely am home before 6 pm. I watch it while I pour my adult beverage, change out of my monkey suit and begin to unwind from the workday.

A number of years ago, the station that aired both Wheel and Jeopardy! (7 & 7:30 PM, repsectively) wanted to air yet another half-hour of local news, so they moved Wheel to 7:30 and Jeopardy! to 4:00 PM.  At first, I was annoyed by this.  Y'know, those seniors need to get to bed right after Wheel, so you're making them go to bed late!!!  AND I was pissed that they couldn't just keep J! on at 7:30 & move Wheel to 4 - but, again, those seniors are out at the Early Bird Specials then  (and now that I'm a geezer, I struggle to NOT do that).  Then I was OK with it when I realized Jeopardy! viewers can program VCRs...not so sure about Wheel Watchers.

(Yeah, I'm a snob.)

• Love 4

I am ashamed to say I got it wrong.  As soon as it was revealed, I was "OMG - of course!!!" but I really couldn't come up with anything beforehand.

Seriously? A whole category about Shakira?

It was just another pop culture category.  I mean, they had a Channing Tatum category a couple of weeks back.  Not my kind of thing, but I don't have a problem with categories about current pop stars/actors/writers, etc.  Plus, I got all those answers right.

I am ashamed to say I got it wrong.  As soon as it was revealed, I was "OMG - of course!!!" but I really couldn't come up with anything beforehand.

It was just another pop culture category.  I mean, they had a Channing Tatum category a couple of weeks back.  Not my kind of thing, but I don't have a problem with categories about current pop stars/actors/writers, etc.  Plus, I got all those answers right.

Not to mention she's a huge, wordlwide freaking star. I didn't realize it until she started appearing on The Voice. There's a lot of pop culture I dislike, but I don't mind Jeopardy doing categories about big stars, as long as they still ask about the older stuff I can actually answer!

• Love 1

Perhaps I'm turning into a humorless old cow, but I didn't find the Hitler anecdote charming in the least. Woohoo, a joke about a sadistic mass murderer!

I thought FJ was super easy today and was surprised that one guy second guessed himself. I can't think of what an important discovery would have been in LA in 1860.

• Love 1

Perhaps I'm turning into a humorless old cow, but I didn't find the Hitler anecdote charming in the least. Woohoo, a joke about a sadistic mass murderer!

I thought FJ was super easy today and was surprised that one guy second guessed himself. I can't think of what an important discovery would have been in LA in 1860.

The first round including the interviews was pre-empted by storm coverage here, so I didn't hear the anecdote.

I'm embarrassed to say I blanked on FJ. I knew the city had something to do with the Gold Rush, but I was thinking of places in Alaska and none seemed big enough.

It's a moot point since he lost anyway, but I didn't think Kyle should have gotten credit for "The Last Crusade" instead of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade."

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 3

The lady who won said that her birthday is April 20 which she shares with Hitler, and on her birthday her son posts (paraphrasing) "happy birthday to two people, one of whom is cruel and a dictator, the other is Hitler."

I know I totally botched the phrase she used but that's the jist. And I cringed when I figured out she was going there when she started the story.

• Love 3

I had muted the TV during the commercial break, so I missed the Hitler story, I'm not sorry about that.  Got FJ right away.  I was annoyed at the randomness of needing/not needing full names when they accepted "Unser" as the 4-time Indy 500 winner, rather than "Al Unser", after including "his brother Bobby" in the clue.

It's a moot point since he lost anyway, but I didn't think Kyle should have gotten credit for "The Last Crusade" instead of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade."

I thought they ruled him incorrect on that, but I may be mistaken.

• Love 3

I thought Christine gave off a totally creepy vibe and that interview portion about Hitler was warped. And what the heck is a retired homemaker? Someone who no longer keeps house?

Good game overall. FJ was an instaget for me.

• Love 4

I admired Christine's brass balls in making a $5000 DD bet.

I know several people who share a birthday with Hitler, and they all have a line about it.  Must be a rough birthday.  As one of them reminds me each year, it's not only Hitler, it's Sandy Duncan, too.

• Love 5

I know several people who share a birthday with Hitler, and they all have a line about it. Must be a rough birthday. As one of them reminds me each year, it's not only Hitler, it's Sandy Duncan, too.

Well, if they just don't mention it........ I don't think Hitler's birth date is common knowledge. Edited by GaryE
  • Love 2

As someone who got married on Hitler's birthday, as soon as Christine said her birthday was April 20th and she mentioned her son, I knew exactly where she was going. I don't think Hitler's birthday is all that obscure, considering I hear it mentioned in the media on occasion.

I enjoyed Christine. I hope she stays around for awhile. But we couldn't figure out what a retired housewife(?) was either.

• Love 1

I admired Christine's brass balls in making a $5000 DD bet.

I know several people who share a birthday with Hitler, and they all have a line about it.  Must be a rough birthday.  As one of them reminds me each year, it's not only Hitler, it's Sandy Duncan, too.

My dad's birthday is that same day so I knew where she was going with it right away.  It's a common joke if you know anyone born that day.

• Love 1

GreekGeek, on 26 Jan 2015 - 8:10 PM, said:

I thought they ruled him incorrect on that, but I may be mistaken.

Initially, Christine had answered "Indiana Jones and the Final Crusade", which was the answer ruled incorrect.

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 2

I was annoyed at the randomness of needing/not needing full names when they accepted "Unser" as the 4-time Indy 500 winner, rather than "Al Unser", after including "his brother Bobby" in the clue.

That bugged me too. It's very possible that someone would only know, or be able to recall, Bobby Unser, but since the clue referred to his brother, as you said, "Al" really should have been required.

I didn't care for the Hitler joke either. And I also know someone whose birthday is around then. April 19. He used to jokingly complain about being close to Hitler's birthday, the Columbine massacre, and the Oklahoma City bombing. I don't know if there's anything else around that time.

For FJ, I guessed Sacramento. I figured that was wrong, but for some stupid reason San Francisco didn't cross my mind as I was trying to think of Calfornia Gold Rush cities.

Not many TS's in this game. That's a good thing.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 2

I didn't see the episode; did she seem to be around the typical retirement age?  If so, I'd assume it means she retired just like one would retire from any other job, just minus the formal benefit system.  My aunt was a homemaker, and when my uncle retired, so did she; they hired a housekeeper, cook, gardener, etc. and are free to travel, volunteer, rest, whatever they want on a daily basis.

I'm embarrassed to say I blanked on FJ. I knew the city had something to do with the Gold Rush, but I was thinking of places in Alaska and none seemed big enough.

I figured it was the California Gold Rush, but answered 'Sacramento' because it was closer to the actual location of the inital gold strke, not properly considering the city size portion of the clue.

• Love 2

Moose135, on 26 Jan 2015 - 8:24 PM, said:

I was annoyed at the randomness of needing/not needing full names when they accepted "Unser" as the 4-time Indy 500 winner, rather than "Al Unser", after including "his brother Bobby" in the clue.

That bugged me too. It's very possible that someone would only know, or be able to recall, Bobby Unser, but since the clue referred to his brother, as you said, "Al" really should have been required.

I was really surprised that they just accepted Unser without Al.  I agree, they should have a better policy regarding full or part names.

On the other hand, I thought Christine should have been negged for giving Rotten Tomatoes when all they wanted was rotten.

I liked Christine, didn't hear her Hitler story.  I don't think it would have bothered me.

For some reason Sacramento also came first to me for FJ but I quickly switched to San Francisco.

It was a pretty good game, hope Christine can win a few more.

Edited by Trey
On the other hand, I thought Christine should have been negged for giving Rotten Tomatoes when all they wanted was rotten.

But in general, it seems they usually allow you to give extra words, as long as what you give is correct.

• Love 1

For FJ, I guessed Sacramento. I figured that was wrong, but for some stupid reason San Francisco didn't cross my mind as I was trying to think of Calfornia Gold Rush cities.

That's exactly where I went--I got stuck on Sacramento, although I didn't think it was right.

• Love 1

Christine looked too young to be retired ANYTHING. But I do wonder how that homemaker thing works. Maybe you move into a hotel full-time!

When she said today that her kids have gone to college and keep coming back (hence "retired homemaker"), I was gobsmacked. She looks like she's just out of college herself!

• Love 2