Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I thought horses was too easy, too, but then I thought it couldn't be anything else.  Maybe that's why two people didn't get it.  

Unless I'm mistaken, that was the first time in a long time they finished the entire board. 

• Love 1

Wow, I had the same brain fart on Hinckley as the player had- would they take "the guy who shot Reagan"? And I think his name pops up more often in the news than Chapman's. Thought I heard diptherius too. And horse seemed very obvious when you're talking about engine power.

I thought horses was too easy, too, but then I thought it couldn't be anything else.  Maybe that's why two people didn't get it.

I thought "people" first, but then the memory of Jeremy Clarkson yammering on about horsepower came to mind, and I quickly changed my answer to "horses".

I got FJ just in time. First I blurted out LBJ because the address seemed Texan to me (...I don't know either) but then I was like maybe 40 is important and then at that point it was remembering Obama is the 44th President and working backward.

Colin seems genial enough. I actually liked all of them even if Martha was kinda high-spirited.

• Love 1

Final Jeopardy was kind easy with the big ole 40 in the clue. Colin is amazing looking and hopefully he will continue to do well next with his shirt off. Wait! Did I just type that? I can't seem to delete it. Oh, well!! LOL!!

• Love 6

I can't believe two teachers didn't know Reagan was the 40th President. I thought it was easy because people are always referring to the Bushes as 41 and 43.

I was also surprised that none of them knew Milton.

• Love 4

I would have known Reagan was the 40th president (or rather, I could have figured it out easily enough) - I just didn't get that the 40 in the address meant he was the 40th president.
Then again, I'm not American and this whole concept of "presidential libraries" is rather foreign to me, but it just seems weird that the number in the address could mean something other than simply being the address.

• Love 1

I finally figured out FJ from the 40 but don't think I'd had enough time to write it down.

Colin was great. Martha, on the other hand, reminded me of a couple of teachers I had whom I didn't like. Her mannerisms were very similar.

I figured that 40 referred to the number of the President, but I didn't know who the 40th President was. Numbers just don't stay in my head. 

It really did shock me that none of the teachers knew Milton was blind. Are there any other famous British blind poets?

Sundance was pretty easy to get, imo. 

I kind of liked that Alex laughed at Colin's pronunciation of Cardinal Richelieu. "Richie Loo." But I do like Colin. If he were my teacher I'd have a huge crush on him.

I rarely text, so I didn't get many of the texting clues. For SITD, my guess was "Still in total denial."

I don't think there were many missed answers. That's nice to see. They were all good contestants.

• Love 2

They did it again in that Non-fiction category in the clue about the sub-title of Gleen Greenwald's book -- it's actually "Edward Snowden" in the book title, but they let the middle contestant get away with just saying "Snowden".  But since they specifically indicated that the name of the person was in the title they should have asked for the full name.   She could have meant Lord Snowdon (http://www.biography.com/people/lord-snowdon-20846059).

• Love 2

Sundance was pretty easy to get, imo. 

I rarely text, so I didn't get many of the texting clues. For SITD, my guess was "Still in total denial."

I couldn't believe it when she said "I almost said Sundance."  If you even thought the answer was Sundance, you would have said Sundance .  What a twit!

I thought an entire category on texting was kind of strange.  I think I only got one of them.  I write things out.

• Love 3

but it just seems weird that the number in the address could mean something other than simply being the address.

Oh, it could just be an address, but not if they bother to put it in the clue.

I missed the episode, so I'll have to get caught up via the archive once it's updated, but I'm sure I will utterly fail at a category about text messaging, since I rarely do it and, when I do, I use words and punctuation (even though that involves a lot of number pushing on my ancient flip phone).

I also was saddened that Milton was a TS, but it's surprisingly easy to avoid particular authors (especially the older and difficult ones) during many college and grad school programs. I never read him myself until I took a summer seminar at age 40, and I learned about his blindness via a kids' book of mini-biographies called Hearts Courageous

I almost never text, but I could figure out the abbreviations. I always tell my students that abbreviating stock phrases is nothing new; the ancient Romans did it too.

On the other hand, the significance of the number "40" in FJ flew over my head. I got stuck on Washington because I thought that the first president was the likeliest candidate for an address called "Presidential."

You're not alone, Totale. My first thought was Sundance, but I thought "Isn't that in Colorado?"  I might have guessed that just to give an answer, but I would have been surprised to find it was correct.

You're not alone, Totale. My first thought was Sundance, but I thought "Isn't that in Colorado?"  I might have guessed that just to give an answer, but I would have been surprised to find it was correct.

The part that makes it even more confusing is that there is another small town film festival in Telluride, Colorado that has been in existence for over 40 years (and predates Sundance).

Final Jeopardy was kind easy with the big ole 40 in the clue

I suck at pretty much all political categories, so anything about presidents is a crapshoot for me.  But I was pretty sure that W was #43, so I counted back from there and got the right answer, and in time to write it down had I been on the show.  I was damned pleased with myself for getting something presidential right for a change.

I missed the episode, so I'll have to get caught up via the archive once it's updated, but I'm sure I will utterly fail at a category about text messaging, since I rarely do it and, when I do, I use words and punctuation (even though that involves a lot of number pushing on my ancient flip phone).

My nephews find it exceedingly amusing that I type out full sentences on my flip phone.  And that I still have a flip phone; hey, at least I never butt dial anyone.  But I work with enough young whippersnappers that I got all but one of the text clues.

• Love 2

Maybe I'm the only one, but I assumed Sundance was in Colorado.  My uninformed picture of Utah's culture wouldn't put it there.

Didn't she guess Burning Man?  I have no idea what that is, but I thought there was no way she could have been thinking Sundance if that's what she guessed. 

Whenever I hear a reference to Sundance I think of Robert Redford (it was started by him), but more specifically it reminds me of The Electric Horseman, filmed in St George Utah.  I know technically that has nothing to do with Sundance, just a mental image I get.

Wow, except for FJ, I thought that just about all of tonight's questions were RIDICULOUSLY easy.  I have to admit, my guess was "algebra" for FJ,  just because it  sounds kind of Arabic.

I know when I am answering a million questions correctly the board must be too easy so I definitely agree with you.

And the Huron DD was way too easy because Huron was the only answer that made sense.

• Love 2

I just checked the archive, and after saying I'd probably stink at the text talk category since I hardly ever text and don't use "textspeak" when I do, I thought it was pretty easy.  VBG I knew from the early days of email (they should have put it in < >), and NSA, GMTA, and RBTL I figured out from the clues.  I had no idea on SITD, but otherwise I got them. 

I agree with those upthread who said Edward Snowden's first name should have been required, since they were asking specifically for the missing part of the title, not just who the book was about.

Also with those bummed Milton was a TS.

I'm always bad at religion/mythology clues, so I struggled with the I Myth You category, but I knew Quetzalcoatl so was surprised that was a TS.

I was also surprised the contestant didn't come up with the Sundance DD (and even moreso that she offered up Burning Man -- it must just be something she's heard of, but knows nothing about).

I would say, "Wow, who knew I was so knowledgeable about Liechtenstein," but I think it's just that the clues were all quite easy, especially for DJ.

I was obviously spoiled from having read the forum last night, but I feel confident I'd have known FJ anyway -- with really nothing in the clue other than 40, that had to be the key, and I don't think it would have taken me long to assume that corresponded to what number president he was, so it would just be a matter of working my way back.  And I'd only have to do it from Clinton, because for some reason it sticks in my mind that he was the 42nd. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I struggled with this FJ because every word I could think of was clearly Greek, not Arabic. When the middle contestant's answer was revealed and Alex said "you're on the right track" I knew immediately what the right answer was, but I don't think I could have come up with it without that. Certainly not within 30 seconds.

Did the contestant on the left really guess Benghazi as the Arabic word for tower?!  Since Burj Khalifa is the tallest building in the world, I'd have figured at least one of three contestants could reason their way to burj, but that it was a TS doesn't give me pause.  But I really hope I misheard her with Benghazi.

Was Stephen Hawking's name written as Steven, or are my eyes suspect tonight, too?  (I was watching on a small TV, so that's entirely possible.)

FJ came to me quickly.

Edited by Bastet
Did the returning champ really guess Benghazi as the Arabic word for tower?!  Since Burj Khalifa is the tallest building in the world, I'd have figured at least one of three contestants could reason their way to burj, but that it was a TS doesn't give me pause.  But I really hope I misheard her with Benghazi.

Yep, she said Benghazi.

• Love 1

Now that the 'clue of the day' is back up, I spoil myself whenever I remember. Looked at yesterday's FJ and could not come up w/the word, perhaps because my brain's been frozen lately & working half-speed. While watching the show last night, about 1/2 way through the music the lightbulb went on as I was thinking of math words we get from the Arabic - like words that start w/Al- .

Very surprised Equus was a TS, it seems there's a revival every 10 years or so, the most recent that I can recall featured Daniel Radcliffe.

I only got Equus because it was the only play I could think of in the moment involving a horse. 

I'm also finding the clues during this tournament to be easy. However, I think the teachers are performing better than they have during the last couple of teacher tournaments I remember. Yes, there have been some bonehead answers, but I think it's going pretty well.

I'm so glad I had old, very unattractive women English teachers in high school, because I would never have been able to concentrate if Mr. O'Grady had been my teacher!  Yes, shallow I know....

They were probably 40 years old. When you're that age, everyone over 30 seems really old! I went back for a high school reunion and was surprised that quite a few of my former teachers are still teaching. I graduated in 1990 and, back then, I thought most of them were pretty old.

I was so annoyed with Alex when he did that Pygmalion clue in a cockney accent like Eliza Doolittle would have used.  I know the answer was obvious but it felt like cheating.  And he thinks he's so cute when he does stuff like that. 

• Love 2

I don't really know why, but I really hate it when Alex responds to an incorrect answer with, "Boo, hiss."

As his quirks go, that's one I don't particularly mind. It seems to be his way of expressing sympathy for the person who got it wrong, especially if there was a lot riding on it.

Hooray for Eric for making tonight's game a runaway! I always root for the Latin teachers, being one myself. I was so annoyed at Alex for asking those same tired questions "Do they still teach Latin?" and "Why do people want to study Latin?" that we've heard a thousand times.

• Love 1

I also hate his "boo hiss" thing. I guess to me it feels more like mockery than sympathy.

Mary Lou was really bad with the countries...neither Crete or Mogadishu are countries :P

I liked Eric as well, and I was glad he won.

• Love 1
Hooray for Eric for making tonight's game a runaway! I always root for the Latin teachers, being one myself. I was so annoyed at Alex for asking those same tired questions "Do they still teach Latin?" and "Why do people want to study Latin?" that we've heard a thousand times.

Except for the fact that he screwed up the one question dealing with a Latin word, Eric did pretty good.  Is Alex unaware that Latin is used a lot by lawyers, doctors and scientists ?  Because studying Latin in high school would probably help with that going into college.  Just saying.

I hope we don't find out in tomorrow's news that Tracy's mom threw a hissy fit backstage and still wanted Tracy to participate in Final Jeopardy despite her negative dollar amount at the end of DJ.  </snark>

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 6

Yay for Eric! He was smart and cute. I loved my four years of Latin. It was one of my favorite subjects in high school. Yes, I was a nerd but my teacher was young and good looking.

I'm glad Tracey flamed out. She annoyed me immediately starting with the highest dollar clues. Why wasn't she at her podium when the came back for DJ? Do they allow pee breaks?

I got Croatia, which was a TS, but was totally clueless on FJ.

The first round was fairly even so I thought it was going to be a good game; but Tracey lost her groove and the other lady (whom I liked) just wasn't up to Eric's level.

I also said bear for FJ.  I should have remembered the Minnesota North Stars.

• Love 3

We finally get a contestant from Tucson, my town, and she annoys me by starting with high valued clues then flames out. So I couldn't even root for her. Oy. Then the other female contestant kept choosing clues by saying the full name of the category, which drives me bananas!

That was an annoying game for me as a viewer.

• Love 1