Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

She missed Linus Pauling, which I thought was really easy. So I guess we're even.

I liked that part. She got the Linus/blanket reference, and was just hoping it was the guys last name.

• Love 2

Does anyone remember the question from yesterday about margaritas? I could have sworn they asked for the name of the concoction and the guy said Margaritaville and Alex ruled it correct. 

Here it is: 

In this Jimmy Buffett tune, "There's booze in the blender, and soon it will render that frozen concoction". 

What the hell ?   Why did Alex push for Richard Leakey's first name today, and ended up scoring Christine incorrectly when pushed for more information but didn't require the same thing for Unser yesterday ?  If it's because Louis and Mary had more than one son, which they did, but there were three Unser brothers.

Is it because of different standards in regular vs. double jeopardy? 

• Love 1

That was a good game, with, to me, interesting categories.  And hey, I got a couple of the science answers right!  Yay!  (Knew Linus Pauling, but felt for the contestant because I've had moments like that.)

The FJ was a dream category for me, but I'm not sure I would've gotten the answer written down in time.  I knew from all the French names that it wasn't The Canterbury Tales.  I started off thinking "Charlemagne" and quickly came up with "Orlando Furioso" but knew that was the Italian version and slightly later, period-wise.  It took me a moment to move on to "Song of Roland" and although I said it in time, I probably wouldn't have gotten it written fast enough.  I'd have died of terminal embarrassment in that case.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

What the hell ?   Why did Alex push for Richard Leakey's first name today, and ended up scoring Christine incorrectly when pushed for more information but didn't require the same thing for Unser yesterday ?  If it's because Louis and Mary had more than one son, which they did, but there were three Unser brothers.

That really annoyed me.  They need to be consistent about requiring first names, one way or the other.  Preferably requiring them if the first name isn't already given in the clue.

• Love 5

My knowledge of Medieval Literature could pretty much be engraved on the head of a pin with room to spare.  I did think of Childe Roland but knew it was a relatively recent poem.  The only other epic poem I could think of is Beowulf but the references in the clue didn't seem to point to it.  I did not make the mistake of thinking it was The Canterbury Tales.

I like the new champ.  Christine was okay but I like Marissa better.

• Love 1

Alex, the Antonine Wall is NOT the same thing as Hadrian's Wall!! It is 100 miles north of Hadrian's Wall, and marks the short-lived advances of the Romans into Pictish territory.

I didn't come up with the Antonine Wall, but I didn't think Hadrian's Wall was correct.  Maybe Antoninus Pius was in charge of the building?  What I've been able to find out suggests that not only wasn't he involved in the building of Hadrian's Wall, he stopped the work on it and had the wall which is named for him built instead.  It'll be interesting to see if some mention is made of a possible mistake on tonight's show.

• Love 1

My knowledge of Medieval Literature could pretty much be engraved on the head of a pin with room to spare.  I did think of Childe Roland but knew it was a relatively recent poem.  The only other epic poem I could think of is Beowulf but the references in the clue didn't seem to point to it.  I did not make the mistake of thinking it was The Canterbury Tales.

I like the new champ.  Christine was okay but I like Marissa better.

I took Medieval Lit courses in college, but Song of Roland wasn't something I had to read in any of them.  I've heard of it, but obviously am more familiar with Orlando Furioso, mostly from mentions in Rick Steves' travel programs.

I find Marissa more personable, but I didn't mind Christine because I kind of got her type of humor.  Still, I usually don't like it when a champion stays around for days on end - I'm easily bored, I guess.  (The obvious exceptions are cute guys 'cause I'm also shallow.)

• Love 2

Antonius Pius succeeded Hadrian, which is what the question was about. It was Alex's little (paraphrasing here because I can't remember it exactly) "That's why it's called the Hadrian Wall!" that ticked me off, because he implied that the Antonine Wall was the same as Hadrian's Wall, which...no.

ETA: I would have bet a lot on the basis of the FJ category, but I would have flamed out massively, because even though I knew it wasn't Canterbury Tales, I could not think of a corresponding French poem from the same time period!! I am such a bad English major...

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1

Antonius Pius succeeded Hadrian, which is what the question was about.

Was it?  I thought "Hadrian's Wall" was the answer they were looking for, but I will fully accept that I might be confused.  J! Archive doesn't have any of the clues for yesterday's game up, so I can't check.

• Love 1

IIRC, the clue was asking for the name of Antonius Pius's relative whom he succeeded after givng the information about the Antonine Wall and the year in which he became emperor. But, unless you are aware that there were two separate walls and that the name of one would lead to the name of the other, then you would be out of luck, I think.

• Love 1

I absolutely think they had to ask for the first name of Leakey.  Knowing that Louis and Mary's last name is Leakey is a given, so to just give the last name of the son is totally not acceptable, in my opinion.  I don't know anything about the Unsers, but I've always maintained you don't really know the answer unless you give the first and last name of the person they want from the clue. 

• Love 5

IIRC, the clue was asking for the name of Antonius Pius's relative whom he succeeded after givng the information about the Antonine Wall and the year in which he became emperor. But, unless you are aware that there were two separate walls and that the name of one would lead to the name of the other, then you would be out of luck, I think.

That would 'splain my confusion then.  Now that I really think about it, it's obvious that they were looking for a person's name, because I answered "Marcus Aurelius" which wouldn't make sense if they wanted the name of the wall.  (Who was, if I remember correctly, Antoninus Pius' successor.)

I could not believe Carnegie Hall was a TS--it still looks JUST LIKE THAT! Radio City Music Hall and Lincoln Center don't look even vaguely similar. (Of course, I go by there a few times a year, which I suppose is an advantage. ;))

I got Song of Roland right because I couldn't think of another medieval French epic.

(I know of Song of Roland from reading Gordon Dickson's Childe Cycle--as much as he finished before he died. Note to publishers: NEVER accept sidebar stories from a series author until he's finished the series!)

I absolutely think they had to ask for the first name of Leakey.  Knowing that Louis and Mary's last name is Leakey is a given, so to just give the last name of the son is totally not acceptable, in my opinion.  I don't know anything about the Unsers, but I've always maintained you don't really know the answer unless you give the first and last name of the person they want from the clue.

I agree completely, I think they should demand first and last names for people especially in the DJ round.  But my biggest complaint is the inconsistency with the judging.

It goes back to last year to the "What is Ewing ?" answer to a clue about a fictional TV character who had died, since there were a bunch of people on the TV show 'Dallas' with the last name of Ewing.

• Love 3

Here's that question about Hadrian:

The Antonine Wall in Scotland was built by Antonius Pius, adopted son of this emperor.

And when no one answered, Alex said, "That's probably why it's known as Hadrian's Wall."

I could not believe Carnegie Hall was a TS--it still looks JUST LIKE THAT!

I've never seen Carnegie Hall, so the picture didn't help me at all.  I guessed the Old Metropolitan Opera House, but figured that wasn't right.

Here's that question about Hadrian:

And when no one answered, Alex said, "That's probably why it's known as Hadrian's Wall."

Thanks, Peeayebee.  I figured I was confused, and boy, was I.

The "states bordering on WV" clue was stupid. A halfway-educated third grader should have gotten that one

Would that be a 1 & 1/2 grader? Groans. Lame I know but I couldn't resist.

Alex sure hates "odd" bets doesn't he. We get an old episode before the new one and the champ bet $27 and Alex got his undies in a bunch and said "Oh give me a break". He really needs to get that stick out of his butt.

• Love 4

Oh I like the new champ - Amy, was it? She was nice, smart and got to clues quickly and gave her answers quickly. No messing around with her! And charmingly deflected Alex's stupid question about how old her mother is.

Alex said there were three women contestants tonight like he was surprised they busted out of the kitchen.

I did not know Lord Viceroy. The only thing I could come up with was Prime Minister.

• Love 2

Good game. I like Karen, too. I hope she holds still tomorrow, though.

Yeah, Alex seemed shocked there were three women *at one time* who were smart enough to be on Jeopardy!

I blanked on FJ and then did a face palm when the answer was revealed.

• Love 1

I honestly don't know--I know I got just plain "Viceroy." Since mojoween said the answer was "Lord Viceroy," I assumed that was the full answer. (I was listening more than watching, since I was folding laundry, so I didn't see the answer one way or the other.)

Yes, she answered "What is Viceroy of India." I didn't come up with anything. I felt like I knew the answer, and when I couldn't bring it to mind I started going thru the alphabet, which sometimes works with me. I didn't get past N before time was up. I don't know if I would have come up with Viceroy had I gotten to V.

I like the new champ too. Her moving around is a little distracting, but since she's a good player I don't mind. However, I was pretty shocked that a knowledgeable person like her would give Gallipoli as an Italian city.

I liked all three contestants, though Amy esp gave a few bad answers, like Amsterdam for the country where Dag Hammarskjold was from.

• Love 2

I got Viceroy, but not Lord Viceroy, and I have no idea if they's have counted that as right or not!

The title is Viceroy of India, so leaving out "Lord" was correct but they might've required the "of India".  Or maybe not since India was included in the clue.

I probably wouldn't have gotten it right if I wasn't currently rewatching "The Jewel in the Crown" on PBS.

I could swear Cate said "diptherius" instead of "diptheria." FJ seemed really easy to me, so I was surprised only Karen got it.

I had the exact same reaction with regard to FJ. I thought it was an instaget. I like Karen.

The teachers tournament is one of the tournaments I usually like, but the last coupe have been underwhelming, Let's hope we get some bright ones for this year's.

• Love 1

I could swear Cate said "diptherius" instead of "diptheria." FJ seemed really easy to me, so I was surprised only Karen got it.

I heard this as well, and was annoyed that they ruled her correct. I guess it doesn't really matter in the end, but still annoying.

FJ seemed incredibly easy to me as well, and I was shocked that only one of them got it.

I was also pretty surprised Karen didn't get "A Thousand Days" in the DD clue, but she is kind of growing on me. She seems so surprised/delighted when she wins, yet so confident when she's answering.

• Love 1

Good game overall as everyone has 5 figures going in to FJ and there were few TS, but I was surprised two out of three whiffed on FJ.  I think Cate misread question and guy in the middle was guessing.

For the Cannes Palme D'Or category, you would think they could up with something tougher than fill in the blanks ?  The year and a clue would have been better.

• Love 1

For FJ, at first I thought "men?" but then horses came to mind as I pictured them pulling a wagon, and then I was positive as I realized that was horsepower. I'm so glad that Karen got it and bet big. I like her a lot.

I sometimes confuse John Hinkley and Mark David Chapman. For the clue in tonight's show, I confidently said Chapman.

I meant to mention this earlier, when we discussing that Virginia category.  I can't tell you how sad it made me that the contestant missed "Monticello" as the World Heritage Site and said "Williamsburg" instead.

I said Hinckley because I couldn't remember the name of the bastard that killed John Lennon.  I refuse to give him any attention.