Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I was not aware of this. I did a quick Google and found some speculation about it back in November, but missed the announcement that the rules had been changed.

Is it a cost-cutting thing (not having to pay out prize money twice)?

I don't think it's come up yet on the show, but players who have been on post-rule-change have reported that it is the case, and you can tell sometimes now that players are avoiding bets to tie. I don't think it's about money. It probably just makes the show easier to run.

Really? I know they do tie-breakers in tournaments, but I hadn't heard they were now doing that in the regular shows. Is that new this year?

I think it was mid-season (and still in 2014 airdates), which is odd timing.

Edited by dcalley

"How about Oscar Wilde?"

I am now officially rooting for this to come up! It irks me when the agreement is off, as in "Who is Greenland?", though I am amused when someone answers "What is Ben Affleck?", so I guess I'm as inconsistent as the judges. I guessed the FJ, and was pleased to be right (though my process began with Martin Luther!). I liked Nicholas, and I guess he'll be able to at least afford his VW van. The woman on the right, with the timing and miming, as well as her other quirks, drove me nuts as well.

• Love 2

Haha, oh god, Rebecca… she was making me twitch. I really didn't understand why she only bet $800 for the first daily double when the max she could bet was $1000. It was the beginning of the game and a difference of $200 - who cares? And then I REALLY didn't get when she got the other one in the second round and goes "I'm not doing that again" and bets $1400 (out of like $3200 or something). Alex even said "Doing what again?" 

Seriously though….doing what again?

She screwed up that category twice in two different ways each time. Jessica Chastain is not in Argo, nor starts with an A. Titanic was not released in 1984, nor starts with an A. There were also a few times where she answered before Alex called on her. I don't know if that's allowed, I guess, it might be, but how did she know another contestant didn't buzz in before her? It was all times the camera wasn't on them, so I couldn't tell. If she won, I told my husband I wouldn't be able to watch the next show.

• Love 6

Seriously though….doing what again?

Betting it all, I assume.

I can't recall the name of the actress she looks like. I was thinking it was from Mad About You, but checking IMDB I found I was wrong. This will be bugging me.

Boy, Nicholas was shocked when his guess of Ben Affleck was wrong. That was kind of funny, though I also guessed that then immediately thought, "Oh! Alan Arkin!" I think that clue was chosen to trick people up.

I thought Daniel answered 'sonograph' not 'sonogram'. Alex repeated it back as 'sonogram' and accepted it, adding "or ultrasound." But the clue asked for the name of the machine, I think. BTW, wasn't his name Daniel Crigg? Anyway else immediately think of James Bond?

For FJ Becket immediately came to mind, but then I thought I was wrong. I guessed Martin Luther. Yeah, I was way off.

Edited by peeayebee

Man, last night's game was awful!  They left so many clues on the board at the end, it was embarrassing.  And as much as I like to see female contestants do well on Jeopardy, Rebeca winning would've been a travesty, given how badly she played for the most part.

• Love 4

I thought Daniel answered 'sonograph' not 'sonogram'

I thought he said 'sonogram' which Alex accepted with the comment "or ultrasound".

I actually knew the FJ from the date in the clue.  Yeah, medieval studies in college, although the 12th century was a little before my particular period.

Edited by proserpina65

Poor FJ strategy by the returning champ. He should have bet $0 - then the worst that would happen, if the middle guy tied him (which he did), was that they would both come back tomorrow. He had nothing to gain from trying to break the potential tie and earn more. Silly.

My memory may be failing me, but wasn't Rebeca in 2nd place at FJ, which would make that strategy suspect?

We liked her, anyway.  At least I know I won't be the most scattered contestant ever, if I ever get on.

• Love 1

My medical facility uses sonogram and ultrasound interchangeably. 

My doctors do, too. (For me it's not been cancer--I hope you're doing well now, chessiegal--but a few times a mammogram caused the radiologist to be suspicious enough of it to want and ultrasound/sonogram, likewise with fibroids.) In common usage, the two terms are used interchangeably.

Edited by rereader2

On the Titanic answer, I'm hoping she got hung up on the number of nominations and thought that was the embedded hint. I was busy singing Rock Me Amadeus though.

I was very disappointed we only got to see one clue for the reservations category.

• Love 1

Me too, Pallida.

Gingham as a daily double in Double Jeopardy! is not right.

"Hey gay folks?" For real?

I could understand if you've never heard the song, so you wouldn't realize that it was pronounced "ber-ay" in the lyrics, but if you knew the answer, I would have to think that you would have at least seen the song title written out, but you didn't know how to pronounce the word "beret?" I found that curious.

I did like having a theme for the entire board though. They don't do that very often any more.

All I could think for FJ was "The Fly." I'm sure I've heard of "Metamorphosis," but not enough to know that was the answer.

• Love 2
All I could think for FJ was "The Fly." I'm sure I've heard of "Metamorphosis," but not enough to know that was the answer.

It's a story by Franz Kafka about a man who wakes up to find himself transformed into a gigantic insect. I wrote a paper on it in college, and a lot of the grotesque details have remained with me. I know The Fly as a horror movie, but not as a book or short story.

Maybe it's because I just read an interview with her in Entertainment Weekly, but I was sad no one knew Olivia De Havilland as Melanie.

• Love 6

Three likeable contestants tonight - I would have been happy for any one of them to win.

For FJ, I also said The Fly, but didn't really know if it was a short story or not; second guess was Flowers for Algernon - since Algernon was a mouse and he had whiskers which someone might have called feelers.

• Love 2

Hmm, I wonder what podcast that was :-) Was it the one with Mr. Cumberbatch by any chance?

I would have kicked ass in the GWTW category. GWTW is one of the subjects that I know everything about it. Everything!

• Love 3

Literally, all I know about Metamorphosis is that it's by Kafka and that the first line is, "As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect."  Just based on that, I got it.  Probably my ignorance is what steered me there.

I wasn't watching the show, but listening to it while I worked, so when I finally looked up, I was surprised that Will was Asian.  His last name (Anderson) and his Georgia accent did not lead me in that direction!  It's the same kind of "wow, cool" reaction I get when I speak to my Indonesian brother-in-law on the phone and hear his Texas accent. ;-)  Three good contestants today. I would have been fine with any of them winning.

• Love 1

I thought FJ was too easy, but I guess not. 

How did Daniel pronounce Cerberus? Was that his error, or not phrasing it as a question?

The GWTW category was super easy. Erin should have bet it all for her DD. 

I was obsessed with Kafka in Junior High (which is what Middle School was called back in the day), so I immediately got FJ and was actually surprised that there was another possibility, though I didn't know that "The Fly" was anything other than a film. I read GWTW and saw the flick in college as the book was the only required reading for an African Studies course I will admit I took to bring up my GPA. My one bit of trivia about Olivia de Haviland was her feud with her sister Joan Fontaine, so I always remember herr name. I assumed yesterday's champ would probably be a single-timer.

He pronounced it "cer-e-bus"....

Same as me :(.  I also said "muslin" for "Gingham" and could think of the name Gregor Samsa but not the name of the story.  Not my strongest play at home night. I thought Will looked like Mr. Sulu.

• Love 1

Hmm, I wonder what podcast that was :-) Was it the one with Mr. Cumberbatch by any chance?

I would have kicked ass in the GWTW category. GWTW is one of the subjects that I know everything about it. Everything!

I am named after that movie - my first name is from the plantation and my middle name is from the actress who played Scarlet. t's my mother's favorite book and movie. I didn't bother seeing the movie until I was an adult, but I now know it inside and out. I ran that category, too.

I also wrote a paper on Metamorphosis. It's definitely stayed with me.

Edited by teebax

The new champ reminds me of Cho on the Mentalist.  Hope he stays awhile.

Technically The Metamorphosis is a novella, not a short story - there is a difference and a good clue writer should have caught it. It didn't matter to the game but also the The is necessary, otherwise you're talking about Ovid's stories.  (Yes, picky, I know...)

Ovid wrote "Metamorphoses" though.

• Love 1

I've never seen or read The Fly--is it something to read or just a movie?

It is a short story written by George Langelaan.  I didn't know that previously, I just looked it up

I did get Metamorphosis, but I recently listened to a podcast about it, so it was right there in my head. I've never seen or read The Fly--is it something to read or just a movie?

I got Metamorphosis at the last moment as a blind guess, but probably wouldn't have had time to write it down.

would have kicked ass in the GWTW category. GWTW is one of the subjects that I know everything about it. Everything!

It's my mother's absolute all-time favorite movie.  I cannot count the number of times I've seen it as a result.  I would also have kicked ass in that category, and was sad when none of the contestants got Olivia de Havilland.

Got Metamorphosis without a problem...German major, actually read it auf deutsch. The German word used for "insect" (Kaefer) struck me funny as it was the same word people used for VW Beetles :)

Teebax, my mom loved GWTW as well, but didn't name any of us Mammy or Melanie or Rhett, fortunately. She'd lived through the Depression and always cried at the scene where Scarlett declares, "As God is my witness, I'll never go hungry again". I imagine that really struck a chord in 1939

• Love 3
I could understand if you've never heard the song, so you wouldn't realize that it was pronounced "ber-ay" in the lyrics, but if you knew the answer, I would have to think that you would have at least seen the song title written out, but you didn't know how to pronounce the word "beret?" I found that curious.

And it raises a curious question. Since he pronounced it like "barrette", should it have been accepted? A barrette is a hair clip, and the song refers to a hat. He obviously knew the song, since he got the "Raspberry" part right, so maybe that's why they gave it to him. But the whole thing was weird.

• Love 3

*looks innocent*

It is a short story written by George Langelaan.  I didn't know that previously, I just looked it up

Thanks! I had no idea.

• Love 2

Whew!  I wasn't sure how this one would shake out, but I like how it ended.

I wouldn't have known the correct FJ response.  I was thinking Nestle, and I know it's Swiss, not French, but it was all I could come up with.

In the 'In the Atmosphere' category in DJ round, why didn't Alex ask for more information on the $2000 clue when the answer give by Todd "what is amps and ohms ?"  should have been amperes and ohms ?  Because ampere is the proper unit of electrical current measurement (and it fit within the word 'atmosphere').

Wil gets an unimpressive 2nd day win -- he really lucked out in FJ that no one else got it right, because his play was awful today.

• Love 1

That was the most unexpected finish I'd seen in a long time. For a while there it looked as though nobody would win. I thought Will was a goner for sure; he looked so depressed during most of the game. I actually got FJ both because of the fleur-de-lis and remembering the Musketeers' slogan "One for all and all for one." 

• Love 4

Awful game, unimpressive contestants.  I can't remember specifics, but some of the TSs were truly jaw dropping (and I say that as a person who in a million years would never qualify to be on the show).

I thought the FJ was easy, since what other candy bar had a French name?  If they had just said "candy," it would have been difficult.

• Love 1

I'm so old, I remember when 3 Musketeers bars had two score marks in the chocolate, so you could cut it evenly into thirds to share with the other Musketeers. 

Oh yeah, I'm old too, and you've brought back this memory that I'd completely forgotten.

I didn't get FJ. I couldn't think of a French candy bar, and I didn't pay attention to the slogan "Fun for all."

Hated this game. I have to admit that I didn't know all of the TSs either. In the Ed category in one clue I knew it was Something the Confessor. I had forgotten what the category was.

I liked learning that the canopied seat on an elephant is called a howdah. I'd made a ceramic elephant with that years ago, but I didn't know what it was called.

I also didn't know that Singapore was a city-state. I'd never really thought about it.

• Love 1

This was the first game I had a chance to see all week, and what a disappointment.  The DJ round in particular was just awful, and I was almost disappointed to see the returning champ pull it out in the end because he'd pouted his way through it.  I'd be frustrated as hell had I dug myself a hole as he did, and my natural comportment would probably be just as off-putting.  Which is why, knowing that about myself going in, I'd have made a conscious effort not to let it show.

• Love 1
Hated this game. I have to admit that I didn't know all of the TSs either. In the Ed category in one clue I knew it was Something the Confessor. I had forgotten what the category was.

I wish the writers had come up with a different category name other than 'Special Ed' for all those Ed clues -- plus, they showed a photo of Ed Koch. WTF ?

And that one clue showed a map of Africa and labeled the two countries bordering opposite sides of a big unlabeled country that could only be Sudan (because it was huge).... and then asked what this new country in the south part of it was.