Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

You've prompted me to look it up. The Taming of the Shrew was (sometimes) set in Padua. Since I had no idea why I guessed Padua, maybe this info was stuck in my brain.

Maybe from Kiss Me, Kate? You know "I've come to wive it wealthily in Padua": 

"Fair Verona" popped into my head right away, but I wasn't 100% sure whether that was the right play. I was sure enough to go with it, but I had a mental question mark.

Aieeee!  Roxy Music was actually the answer to a clue on Jeopardy, and it had to be in the game I missed because I was at the company Xmas party.  So not fair!

Ryan seemed like the most unlikely person in the world to get it right.  That he did--and the smile he cracks each time he wins--make me root for him.  

Ryan seemed like the most unlikely person in the world to get it right.  That he did--and the smile he cracks each time he wins--make me root for him.  

He does seem like a nice person, but I couldn't get the Dr. Evil impersonation he did out of my head and that somehow prejudiced me against him.

I was amazed that Crime and Punishment was a TS today. That was one of my favorite books in high school. I especially loved it after I found out that Porfiry Petrovich was the model for TV's Columbo!

Hooray for Rooks! I was a bit surprised that she was the only one to get FJ.  In fairness to Ryan, my mind went to The Rime of the Ancient Mariner first, and then I noticed the clue said "title creature." 

• Love 1

I didn't get FJ. Yet I was thinking of another poem by Poe, Lenore

Why did Alex keep calling Alysha by her last name?

I haven't read Crime and Punishment, but I thought the clue gave it away.

I thought that Ryan first said "Assumption" then corrected himself to "Ascension."

Bartleby's was pretty easy, imo.

I also got lecithin. The answers were all in the L's, and that helped me come up with the answer.

The leader at the end of Double Jeopardy (forget his name) bid so low in FJ that even if he had got it right he would have finished in second place.  I think you have bet high in this situation and assume everyone will get FJ right, even if it is not a strong category for you.

In any case, this was a good game.  Decent scores, close at the end, and it came down to FJ.

I like Rooks a lot, and I'm not usually a fan of contestants who editorialize during the game. She just seemed fun to me, and I love anyone who's well-read. She's obviously a fellow book-lover, so I couldn't not root for her. Plus I love her hair.

• Love 6

Re FJ, I first thought it was Hiawatha (having missed the "creature" part) but had moved on to The Raven before it was revealed but not in time to write it down.

That was a fairly good game, I'm glad Rooks won.

Can't believe they all missed Tip O'Neill.

Element Symbol Fun? - My kind of category.

I can't believe they let Josh get away with Nitrogen for the Monty Python clue, before immediately changing to The KNights Who Say Ni.

The symbol for Nitrogen is N.  Acceptable elements might be Nickel (Ni) or Neon (Ne). There is no way Nitrogen should have been accepted, even if he changed it a fraction of a second later.

The Movie Man - Good category!  I got all of them and the contestants kept striking out.

• Love 1

That was a particularly weak game with a lot of TS and wrong answers (in some cases, nearly entire columns of TS or wrong answers).

I wonder if they would have accepted Dutch Guiana as an acceptable answer instead of Suriname -- it was called that for nearly 300 years before the name change.

I can't believe they let Josh get away with Nitrogen for the Monty Python clue, before immediately changing to The KNights Who Say Ni.

It was a DJ round clue, so you don't really get to take multiple shots at an answer -- I agree that he should have been ruled incorrect.  How did none of them get the Will.i.am clue ?  Heck, I even got the Molybdenum clue for Mo Better Blues.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

That was a particularly weak game with a lot of TS and wrong answers (in some cases, nearly entire columns of TS or wrong answers).

I wonder if they would have accepted Dutch Guiana as an acceptable answer instead of Suriname -- it was called that for nearly 300 years before the name change.

It was a DJ round clue, so you don't really get to take multiple shots at an answer -- I agree that he should have been ruled incorrect.  How did none of them get the Will.i.am clue ?  Heck, I even got the Molybdenum clue for Mo Better Blues.

I got the i.am and mo parts, but not the elements.

• Love 2

Me too. I figured "I" was for iodine, but that's as far as I got.

So many TS's. So many of them surprising, like not knowing adrenal glands. I was also surprised that no one got nail polish -- like Alex said, Cutex was a big clue -- or answering machine.

Josh sure had a lot of horrible wrong guesses.

I'm not enamored of Rooks. 

• Love 1

I didn't see last night's episode, so this was my introduction to Rooks.  I like her, but not so much this game -- so many TS, and many of them surprising.  Tip O'Neill, Paul Ryan, Nancy, adrenal glands, nail polish, auspicious, serendipitous, flibbertigibbet, answering machine and several of the The __ Man titles (The Wolf Man and, especially, The Quiet Man) strike me as things at least one of three J! contestants should know.

I must tell on myself while criticizing, though; I joined them in screwing up with the elements; from will.i.am, I knew iodione but not the Am element, and I had no idea what element the Mo from Mo' Better Blues represented.  In fact, with that one, I probably could have sat here until I expired and not come up with it. 

I wouldn't think so, because the clue specified a year that was well after the name change.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
How did none of them get the Will.i.am clue ?

Some of us aren't that up on pop music.  I've never heard of Will.i.am., but I'm sure I dislike him because of the spelling of his name.  :)

My heart broke a little when no one knew The Quiet Man.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 3

I was just in Cong, Ireland in September (that's where they filmed The Quiet Man), so it being a TS was a real surprise to me. (My brother is the one who's the big fan of the film, but I know enough about it to figure it out from the clue.)

I must tell on myself while criticizing, though; I joined them in screwing up with the elements; from will.i.am, I knew iodione but not the Am element, and I had no idea what element the Mo from Mo' Better Blues represented.  In fact, with that one, I probably could have sat here until I expired and not come up with it.

I got the earlier clues, and, like you, figured out the iodine but came up with ammonia (which I know isn't an element but a combination of them) for AM and had not the slightest clue for MO.

But not getting nail polish for Cutex?  I mean, I didn't know they originally made polish but they're the biggest company around for remover, so it seemed an easy guess to me.

To my shame, I said "The Invisible Man" (with Claude Rains, I believe) instead of "The Wolf Man" with Lon Chaney.  I loved that category, though.

Some of us aren't that up on pop music.  I've never heard of Will.i.am., but I'm sure I dislike him because of the spelling of his name.  :)

My heart broke a little when no one knew The Quiet Man.

I totally agree on Will.i.am.  Kind of stupid. 

I was more surprised they didn't get The Wolf Man.

• Love 1

It always irks me when contestants blame their youth for not knowing something, especially when they've correctly answered several questions about things that pre-date their very special selves by decades.

• Love 12

I, too, said The Invisible Man instead of The Wolf Man. I didn't really think it was right because I believe the clue said poison was involved, and I thought the Invisible Man had created the potion in his laboratory, so it wasn't poison.

I guess The Running Man is kind of obscure, but it was easy for me.

On the Will.i.am clue,

Am is Americium, which is one of those man-made elements near the end of the periodic table.  The reason I know that is that I worked on radioactive waste projects years ago.  I don't think even many people with chemistry backgrounds would remember Am.

But it is a good element for a Jeaopardy question.

But it is a good element for a Jeaopardy question.

I agree.  I aced Chemistry in high school and college, and I still do very well with clues about how things work, but huge chunks of the periodic table are gone from my brain.  I would definitely need to bone up on it if I wanted to compete on this show.

I knew which element Am was in the sense that I knew it was Americ.... something. So I said "Americanium." Oops. :)

Got molybdenum, though.

As for saying that you weren't born when Tip O'Neill was Speaker of the House - 1, OUCH, and 2, you also weren't born when Earl Warren was Chief Justice, but you should probably still know who he was.

I get it a lot more when it has to do with pop culture, because I see that a lot just between my husband and I - I grew up in the era of endless reruns of 50s and 60s shows on a few channels, and he grew up in the era of Nick at Nite and lots more choices, so he's not nearly as familiar with those tv shows as I am.

• Love 1

Hi, all.  I haven't posted in this forum before, but I have read here from time to time.  I came by a couple of weeks ago to read people's comments on the kids' tournament and see what was being said about Gabby's failure to appear at the end of the show after not qualifying to play in FJ because of a negative score.  And then I saw her mom posting all over social media that the girl just wasn't feeling well.  But I didn't quite buy that, and today I see that those instincts were probably correct.  Wondered if any of you had seen the latest Jeopardy-related fallout of the Sony hacking:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/alex-trebek-threatened-to-quit-jeopardy-over-stage-moms-tantrum/

When I took Inorganic Chemistry in graduate school, we had to memorize the periodic table. For some reason, 30 some years later, there are days I can't recall someone's name, but the element symbols have stayed with me. Crazy.

I thought Tuesday's FJ was laughably easy, and was rolling my eyes.  Shocked that it was an instaget for me, and not for the contestants.  Wonder if the fact that I'm watching in December and it was filmed much earlier had a bearing on it?

• Love 1

When I took Inorganic Chemistry in graduate school, we had to memorize the periodic table. For some reason, 30 some years later, there are days I can't recall someone's name, but the element symbols have stayed with me. Crazy.

That's funny, because I was a Chemistry major, and for almost all of our exams we were allowed to have a copy of the periodic table.  I think the reasoning was that we could focus on understanding the concepts and reactions more if we weren't worried about the periodic table.  A lot of times, I have a hard time when it comes to these categories because we never had to memorize it.  Other than the element symbols we saw all the time, like carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, the halogens, and the major metals, (and molybdenum, which came up a lot) I sometimes struggle with these categories.  

I felt like Ann was shouting and I did not like it.

I love trivia but my fund of knowledge ranges far closer to pop culture and sports rather than traditional topics. Therefore I was surprised that Florence was a TS, because as soon as Alex said Donatello I knew the city.

No one knew Final Jeopardy!? Are you freaking kidding me? I don't care how young they were. They obviously know TV so that is no excuse.

• Love 4