Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

That was probably one of most spectacular flameouts we've seen on this show in a long time

and man was it satisfying. Kaya took the fun out of the match for me, acting like she was testifying before Congress rather than appearing on a game show, but her epic level of fail was thoroughly entertaining. And when the dude in the middle who seemed nice but wasn't any competition beat Kaya with one single American dollar, I rolled on my sofa cackling. Yes, I'm evil.

Kerry may be boring but her calm, cool and collected demeanor really paid off today.

• Love 8

Was this before or after the news of his death had broken?

Well before.  I only read of his death about a half hour ago.  Sorry to see him go.

Kaya bothered me; I actually cheered when she lost that last DD. I liked the guy's story of his first word being "Bob."  LOL.

As soon as I saw the photo of Colin Powell, I thought of this forum and all the cyber-eye-rolling we'd be doing over that.  The writers must be very young.

I had no clue about FJ & sarcastically said "Richard III" - boy, was I surprised.  I have to go now.  My cat is playing "tip the empty soda bottle over & watch Food Giver stand it back up again."  It's his hint that I need to get off the computer & do some chores.

• Love 4

I like Kerry, but she's really benefited from her competition's mistakes. It turns out Kaya needed to get that daily double correct since she missed the final.

This English major missed the final, I'm ashamed to say. I'm one of those rare literature fans who doesn't really dig Shakespeare.

While I applaud Kaya's gutsy bet, I think in a category in which you're not comfortable it was a bad idea. But knowing Kerry's propensity to get FJ correct, I can understand why Kaya bet the way she did.

One more note, I have speakers on my patio and was outside for the first round. I totally thought Kaya was a guy based solely on her voice. I'm not criticizing her voice, just saying she sounded like a guy to me.

Anyway, that was a fun game as a viewer. I know it's a good game when I feel like I immediately have to check this board after watching!

• Love 6

I thought it was foolish to wager so much on the DD since she got the previous clue in that category wrong (or didn't have a guess at all). 

For FJ I immediately said Richard III, then I second-guessed myself and thought it was Richard II.

• Love 1

Kaya was...intense.  Personally, I think she was so enraged by the time FJ rolled around that she just said, "Fuck it!", wagered it all and gave a terrible guess.  And I bet she tried to crush Alex's hand when he shook with the contestants afterwards LOL

• Love 5

If I had been a contestant on this episode and had no clue about the play, I'd have just gone for the most obscure play I could come up with - Two Gentlemen of Verona, or Titus Andronicus, or Troilus and Cressida. Something I didn't know/couldn't remember the plot for. Not King Lear or Macbeth.

• Love 1

I liked Kaya's voice, and admired her ballsy betting. AND it looked like she was smiling and having a pleasant chat in the bit at the end, so I don't think she was overly crushed. She went for it and it didn't work out -- back to life. 

I thought FJ was more of a history question then Shakespeare.

No, because the question made it seem as if the boys are killed during the play but actually, they probably outlived Richard III.  But that's another discussion:-)

I agree that Kaya got greedy with that last DD bet.  She really was searching for those DDs. It seemed to me that she was convinced they were under the $1200 clue because didn't she go for all of them first? 

Anyway, that was a fun game as a viewer. I know it's a good game when I feel like I immediately have to check this board after watching!

I agree!  I also know its a good game when I'm so tense at an outcome. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Wow, Kaya, never have I witnessed such a promising contestant go down in flames like that.  Her DD wager was her undoing.

I was hoping last night would be the end of Kerry's run, because I have gotten tired of her monotone, so man, that was brutal.  But what was up with Kaya and what'shisname not getting Richard III?  That seemed super easy to me.  (I will confess that Shakespeare is usually one of my best subjects.)

Edited by proserpina65

I think Kerry is practicing to be a ventriloquist. Every game is a chance to practice speaking while moving as few facial muscles as possible. That's 3 days in a row that she has won by getting lucky. I hesitate to call it luck because she really has earned her victories, gotta hand it to her there, but she should have lost at least one of those last 3 games.

"Category 3, Question 4 please."

(edited)

No, because the question made it seem as if the boys are killed during the play but actually, they probably outlived Richard III.  But that's another discussion:-)

I have long suspected Henry VII as the culprit - it was more in his interest than Richard's to have them dead.

To keep my post on topic:  I was shouting "Nuggets!" at Kaya but the time-space continuum was not working in our favour.  She is posting on JBoard - sounds like she has a pretty good sense of humour.

eta:  I had never heard of an aardwolf so I learned something on Jeopardy.  Interesting animal.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

I didn't get a lot of the questions last night (well, actually, it was this morning when I saw it--thanks, Cubbies, for playing one of your many day games yesterday afternoon), but I did get FJ, mostly because I was thinking of the historical angle. Only after I came up with the Princes in the Tower did I remember one of them jumping on Richard's back in the Ian McKellen movie (his ferocious reaction to that still chills me!).

• Love 1

That Nuggets DD killed me...seeds of gold = Nuggets? I couldn't not make it work in my head. I admired the gutsy wager, I'd been utterly convinced Kerry was done for. 

I came up with Golden State Warriors, 'cause 'oro'.  Oh well, I wouldn't have bet a lot of money on a sports category anyway.

• Love 2

Well, the anti-Kerry folks got their wish tonight. Chris may go a little too far in the other direction, emoting a bit too much, but he seems pretty strong. 

It took me a moment to realize everything in the Great Lakes category would rhyme with "Erie." Alex didn't have to treat the players like idiots for not catching on to that right away. If Sondheim could rhyme "workingman" with "Michigan" in Assassins, the show's writers could have thought up more imaginative clues. I wonder if they would have accepted "gloomy" for the first clue, to rhyme with "Gitcheegoomie" (the Native American name for Superior), the way Gordon Lightfoot did in "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."

I was surprised that the Sorbonne was a TS, or maybe it seemed so obvious that everybody thought it just couldn't be right?

I thought of the Chicago Manual of Style for FJ, though "Cornell" should have tipped me off I was wrong.

• Love 2

A picture of a dodo bird as a $1000 clue is criminal.

I would have had to mail back my Associate's degree in Journalism if I didn't get FJ.

I don't understand why all the clues in the TV category gave descriptive info except the James Spader one. No surprise it was a TS, especially for me since I didn't watch his previous show nor "The Blacklist."

Apparently I'm just an old grouch because Chris's fidgeting drove me bonkers. I guess nothing can please me because I'm at that age where I admonish children frolicking on my property.

I liked that Great Lake category myself, and until they got going with it I thought each clue would match a different lake and I couldn't wait to see what they came up with to rhyme with Ontario.

• Love 4

For FJ I said, "Strunk's Rules of Style". "Rules" was wrong and no partial credit for knowing Strunk's name, so sad panda.

Clue: They win $150,000 and the first thing they want to do is buy a new bathtub.

Answer: Who are people from New England.

Whew, that was a brutal run.

• Love 1

Aww, I'll miss Kerry. Maybe she was drunker than a skunk the whole time and overcompensated by being so calm. Not sure how I feel about Chris. His rocking was a tad annoying. And his answer of Genghis cracked me up for some reason. Poor Lindsay - I wasn't sure until the interview that she was a woman.

I didn't understand that Great Lakes category either until about three clues in. I thought it could be any of the lakes, not just one of them. Yes, Alex, I guess I'm an idiot.

Which was proven when I sat there with my moronic mouth hanging open during FJ.

• Love 1

It took me a moment to realize everything in the Great Lakes category would rhyme with "Erie." Alex didn't have to treat the players like idiots for not catching on to that right away.

Didn't Chris answer "What is bleary" for the first clue? Of course no one was thinking that Erie was going to be what everything rhymed with, but there was no way to know that until the third clue, so I felt Alex's teasing was off the mark.

For FJ the only thing I could come up with was Elements of Style, but I thought it had more than four editions. I also thought it was written more recently than 1918. Maybe I had in mine when EB White edited the book. Oh, and in college one of my professors called it Strunk and Punk, so I always think of that in regards to the book.

• Love 2

For FJ I have used the book and have a copy, but at first I could only think of "the little book," which is what Strunk called it.  (He was proud of how concise it was.)  I remembered the actual title barely in time.

• Love 1

I wonder if Chris is some kin of John Hurt?   He had similar mannerisms and coloring....

Heh. I'm a big fan of John Hurt, and I didn't see a resemblance at all. I thought of JK Simmons.

• Love 1

I liked that Great Lake category myself, and until they got going with it I thought each clue would match a different lake and I couldn't wait to see what they came up with to rhyme with Ontario.

I hear folks often wish they were on its shores on a hot day in the barrio.

I'll show myself out.

• Love 4

This will teach me to swill wine while watching Jeopardy! There was a surprising TS and I can't remember it for the life of me.

Was it the one about the Battle of Trafalgar?  Which I was screaming at the tv.  (Or was that last night's game - I get confused sometimes.)

Glad monotone Kerry is gone, although Chris might be a bit too animated, but we'll see.  Great game though.  And I knew 'Sorbonne' but couldn't quite get it out in time.  I answered "Elements of Style" for FJ even though I thought that was probably wrong; I was thrilled to find it was actually the right answer.

I also ran the booze category!

I would have, if I'd known what a dirty martini was.  But otherwise me and booze are very good friends.  (Yeah, I know, grammatically incorrect.  Call Strunk and/or White.  lol)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

But otherwise me and booze are very good friends.  (Yeah, I know, grammatically incorrect...)

I believe the currently accepted phrase is "...myself and booze are very good friends."

:-O

• Love 2

I was trying to think of a rhyme for Superior, too.

There's always inferior, posterior, anterior, interior.

I would have, if I'd known what a dirty martini was.  

I figured the answer was dirty martini, but if someone had asked me what's in a dirty martini, I wouldn't have known.

• Love 1

I could've sworn that Alex the contestant wasn't done answering with that "2010" clue when Alex T. cut in with "Yes, you got it!"

He bugged me. Alex the contestant, I mean. Stop scratching, you're on TV.

• Love 9

Was I shallow in wanting Alex to win because he's so fricking hot?

You say hot, I say drunk or high. Don't get me wrong, he is a decent looking guy but something was not right there. Of course it's scary to think he was that good while possibly drunk.

• Love 6

Was I shallow in wanting Alex to win because he's so fricking hot?

I found him uncomfortable to watch and hope that maybe he'll be more relaxed* or less itchy or faster or something on Monday. I am 100% unspoiled, but based on the fact that he's been on JBoard for years (with this avatar, which I've always loved) and the fact that he just signed up for twitter with a Jeopardy-related name, I suspect he'll be a multi-day champ.

4bcNNDS.jpg

*OK, this is kind of funny given that some are saying he seemed stoned. Maybe he needs to be less relaxed.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 3

I also thought Alex had more to add to 2010.
At one point, he was being so slow with everything that I just burst out laughing. He seems to know a decent amount, but I don't think the Jeopardy format works for him :P

• Love 1
I also thought Alex had more to add to 2010.

At one point, he was being so slow with everything that I just burst out laughing. He seems to know a decent amount, but I don't think the Jeopardy format works for him :P

I concur that Alex the contestant needs to leave soon -- that pregnant pause while he as trying to make up his mind about his DD wager was just painful to watch.  Was he trying to convert his DD wager to Roman numerals in his head ?

• Love 6

I'm not quite sure what a currency trader does but I imagine it's similar to a stock trader where you have to be quick and decisive. - he didn't impress me as being either.

I don't think I've ever heard the word "deglutition" before but right away I guessed it meant swallowing.

Instaget FJ.

• Love 3

WTF was wrong with that Alex asshat? A stoner hallucinating that bugs were crawling all over him? I was rooting my hardest against him. Too bad he didn't wager enough on FJ (which was pretty easy) to lose. I hope he goes down in flames on Monday.

• Love 7

I don't think I've rooted so hard against a contestant since Arthur Chu.  Alex-the-contestant made the show impossible for me to watch.

I was surprised that only one of them got FJ, though.

• Love 2

Do you think Alex would have accepted "Elements of Style" last night when the correct title is "The Elements of Style"? I think he wouldn't have.

Nice to come here and find others who were also slowly figuring out that the Great Lakes rhymes were going to all be about Erie. They were easy clues after you knew that--but I was too busy (a) quickly naming the lakes and (2) thinking of possible rhymes for them to even think of that possibility until after the second answer.

I haven't watched Jeopardy in a while, but I didn't think the answers last night were always very well written. They seemed to often throw wordy somewhat related details at you in the beginning of the sentence to make it seem misleadingly obscure and needlessly indirect.  

I guess that adds to the challenge (?) and maybe I'm wrong about it, but the writing seemed very different from the way I remember it a gazillion years ago.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 2

Do you think Alex would have accepted "Elements of Style" when the correct title is "The Elements of Style"? I think he wouldn't have.

The judges don't care about initial articles.

• Love 2