Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Did I hear correctly that one if them thought the age of consent was 14 &12?

Until 2008, the age of consent in Canada was 14, or 12 if your partner was no more than 2 years older. Now, the law has been adjusted slightly so that for 14-15 year olds the partner must be no more than 5 years older (for 12 and 13 year olds the 2-year older rule remains in place). So really, it's not that unreasonable - it was the first thing I thought of, but it just didn't seem to make sense in the context of the clue (though I can't recall the exact wording at the moment). I know in the US the age of consent is higher, but if you grew up elsewhere you might not be aware of the differences. Or, it could have just been a brain fart :P

• Love 1

IMO Kerry is awful. "Category 1 Question 3 please". "Category 1 Question 4 please". Boring monotone with no verve or enthusiasm. The Stepford wives had more life in them than she does. And that hairstyle.... oh my. She was extremely lucky that the guy in the middle flubbed an easy FJ.

A radio show host who interviewed Michael asked what he had planned for his $96,000. Michael said a buddy of his is an independent film maker so he is going to back his sequel film, "Bloody Guts Bastards" or something named along that line, with "blood" and "bastards" in the title.

The interviewer relayed the story on his radio show the next day and had a good laugh about it, then justified it as Michael only being 28 years old. I guess there's book smart and street smart and, as the radio guy suggested, there's being a good friend.

When did Alex correct himself on confirmation? That was really ticking me off, because my first communion was at age 7 and confirmation was in 8th grade, after I turned 14.

I did get FJ by focusing on the "most vast" part of the clue then going to Belarus with that.

When did Alex correct himself on confirmation? That was really ticking me off, because my first communion was at age 7 and confirmation was in 8th grade, after I turned 14.

After Final Jeopardy. I think it was taped separately. 

We messed up rather badly in our phrasing of the clue about confirmation and communion in the Roman Catholic faith. Fortunately, it didn't affect the outcome. Nevertheless, I do want to apologize for that mistake.
  • Love 1
(edited)

They became very big nationally during the whole Donald Sterling thing.

I didn't pay much attention to the details of that because it was the NBA.  I certainly would never have known some team nickname from the Sterling coverage.  In fact, I couldn't have told you what team it was that Sterling owned, only that it was an LA team.

I didn't get what ultimately was a pretty easy FJ.  I got Russia but couldn't come up with Belarus, and so didn't answer.  Should've just said "Rus" based on Russia.  Or was that Friday's FJ - I seem to think it was, but I actually can't remember much about that game.

Edited by proserpina65

Maybe I'm being pedantic (but if you can't be pedantic regarding Jeopardy!, when can you be?), but I kept waiting for a correction to Eric's response of "University of West Virginia."  There is no such place -- it is West Virginia University.

I wouldn't have minded if Eric had won, but Brian's incessant starting at the middle of the category drove me nuts as usual.  Also his attempts to eat up time, stretching out the name of the category and slowing down the game.  I'm glad Kerry beat him in the end.

• Love 5

I wouldn't have minded if Eric had won, either.  But that guy in the middle was driving me crazy with peering at the board like he couldn't see the categories and he was a little wild on the buzzer.  Kerry pulled it out, though.  Good for her.

• Love 2

Gutsy FJ bet by Kerry - go big or go home at that point. I enjoyed the game. The middle guy was okay with the buzzer at first, then started going crazy. I figure if it bothers me (as trying to kill the buzzer), it's my problem. Whatever gets them through the game.

• Love 1

I missed all the shows last week, so it's good to be back and watching. 

I kept wondering if Eric had an accent. Well, I guess everyone does, so I was wondering what his accent was. I liked him and was disappointed that he answered "The Little Mermaid" for someone who would fit inside a walnut shell. 

I thought FJ was a giveaway. Art Deco building in NY always leads me to the Chrysler Bldg. I really was surprised Eric and Brian missed it.

I liked Brian's Italian bread roll story.

• Love 4
(edited)

When the "What Men Want" category came up I thought they had seen all the online contempt for the  "What Women Want" category a few months ago and decided to even it up.  But they did not - I was disappointed in the writers.

I guess I'm even more out of things than I thought because I had no idea what Coachella was about.

I went with Grand Central Station for FJ but if Chrysler Bldg. had even entered my mind I would have gone with that.

Edited by Trey

I thought that "You are a walnut if" category was poorly thought out and the clues were poorly worded as to what answer they were looking -- so when Alex said don't over think it after the $200 was a TS I was even more surprised how confusing the rest of the clues were.

• Love 2

I went with Grand Central just because its decorated so beautifully.  Heh, Penn Station not so much.

Ok, Jeopardy on twitter is confusing me as opposed to what I thought I heard yesterday.  As of  Monday night, has Kerry won four games? 

I thought FJ was a giveaway. Art Deco building in NY always leads me to the Chrysler Bldg. I really was surprised Eric and Brian missed it.

I got stuck on the transportation thing and said Grand Central Station.  When the correct answer was revealed, I felt like an eejit, because of course, NY/Art Deco = Chrysler Building.  D'oh.

My Mom first thought the Empire State Building because of the Art Deco. I went with Grand Central and then at the last moment came up with the Chrysler building because of the transportation angle.

I made the NY + Art Deco = Chrysler Bldg. connection first, but then tried talking myself out of it.  I first went to Rockefeller Center, since that has a bunch of Deco artwork as well, but the transport theme of the mural let me away.  Then I thought of Grand Central, but luckily I remembered its ceiling is covered in constellations, so I ended up circling back to Chrysler.

Tell me I'm crazy and "ere" was not a $2000 clue in DJ.

Ithaca is only about 50 miles from here and we were just there a few weeks ago so I'm considering Jan a neighbor. She put in a good showing so yay neighbor!

I blurted out the FJ answer before Alex said 1959.

(edited)

Kerry's luck has to run out sooner or later -- she hasn't had the lead going into FJ for several episodes now, but has managed to get the win since the leader going into FJ can't come up with the correct answer .

I blurted out the FJ answer before Alex said 1959.

FJ was way too easy ...... once again.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

When the FJ category came up, I thought the answer would be Jon Voight and Angelina Jolie. But once the clue was revealed, I thought it was super-easy. I really was shocked that Evan got it wrong. 

For ablutomania, what came to mind was a compulsion for eating hamburgers. Duh. What was I thinking. I mean, that would be wimpimania.

• Love 4

When the FJ category came up, I thought the answer would be Jon Voight and Angelina Jolie. But once the clue was revealed, I thought it was super-easy. I really was shocked that Evan got it wrong. 

For ablutomania, what came to mind was a compulsion for eating hamburgers. Duh. What was I thinking. I mean, that would be wimpimania.

That was my pre-call as well when I saw the category.

I got the Coles before Alex finished reading and thought the Presleys was a particularly bad answer.

• Love 1
(edited)

FJ was way too easy ...... once again.

Well, it was if you remembered that Nat King Cole's daughter was Natalie Cole, not Stephanie Cole.  Boy, did I feel stupid.

Did I hear correctly that one if them thought the age of consent was 14 &12?

Historically speaking, the contestant's answer was correct.  The common law age of consent (for many legal matters, not just sex) was once as young as 10 in England.  I know it wasn't the answer they were looking for, but it wasn't actually wrong.

Although she didn't bother me at first, I'm actually starting to get tired of Kerry's monotone.  I know she probably can't help it, but it's beginning to bug.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

Well, it was if you remembered that Nat King Cole's daughter was Natalie Cole, not Stephanie Cole.  Boy, did I feel stupid.

I was wondering if they'd take "Nat King Cole and...........his daughter".

I have a theory about writing FJ clues: write about Nat and Natalie Cole or The Godfather. These topics seem to be on a short list for FJ. Call me crazy, but I swear the writers have gone to the Coles for at least three FJ clues in a few years. Short on time: break out a Cole or Godfather reference. Jeopardy viewers will never know...unless they're nitpicky like me.

• Love 1

Geoffrey & Juliette Lewis

Was this before or after the news of his death had broken?

For some reason, my pre-clue thought was Frank and Nancy Sinatra.  

I felt pretty neutral before, but after she plugged Atlantic Canada, I'm totally on Team Kerry! Woo! Visit our islands!! Plus I like games with high scores.

Maybe it's just because I spend too much time doing crossword puzzles, but I was mystified at "ere" for a $2000 clue.

• Love 1

It was gutsy, that's for sure. And she got Nuggets about 1 second too late. 

But I like Kerry and will be happy if she sticks around for a long run. She's unflappable. 

• Love 4

Ok so I know that I sometimes sound like a gargoyle when I speak so I'm not really one to talk, but are there no melodious voices out there anymore? Kerry and Kaya were killing me.

Did Kerry answer "The Bible" in 1995 bestsellers?

Ooh Kaya also gave some mad stink-eye when she was beaten on the buzzer. That was a bold DD wager that must have been so frustrating, to get it just past the last second.

I am less than useless about Shakespeare so I knew I wouldn't get it, and I didn't.

• Love 2

Ooh Kaya also gave some mad stink-eye when she was beaten on the buzzer.

No kidding!

My husband, the English major, thought FJ was easy. This science major, who took Shakespeare as an elective, didn't have a clue.

• Love 1

That was probably one of most spectacular flameouts we've seen on this show in a long time -- Kaya had $9800 at the first commercial break and had $19,800 at one point in the DJ round and ended up with nothing.  She got greedy and got burned by the DD wager.

Did Kerry answer "The Bible" in 1995 bestsellers?

She did -- and the word "Celestine" was even in the clue when it mentioned the sequel.

• Love 5

I knew FJ anyhow but it came really quickly because of the recent reburial of Richard III.  I was surprised only Kerry got it.

Kaya was quick and sharp but her reach exceeded her grasp.  I guess she wanted to make it a runaway.

• Love 1

Kaya was greedy.  I was glad when she missed her DD. Sure she was quick and she was smart (most of the time), but I was rooting against her.  Something about her mannerisms just bugged me.  I'm glad Kerry won and I love how unflappable she is.

• Love 6

This will teach me to swill wine while watching Jeopardy! There was a surprising TS and I can't remember it for the life of me.

A photo of Colin Powell? Really?

There has been more than one leader of India named Ghandi. They need to start requiring first names.

I'm so glad Kaya didn't win. She bugged the crap out of me with the selecting high dollar clues, board jumping and stink eye giving.

Go Bland Kerry! Although, I wish she would flap, too.

I got FJ right away and I'm usually a Shakespeare moron. Must be that Richard III's been in the news.

• Love 1