Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Cabana

• Start Topic

Well, dammit, y'all, my brain decided to do a CTRL + ALT + DELETE last Sunday at 2:30 in the afternoon.

Three days in the hospital, 2 MRIs, 1 MRA, and assorted neurological assessments later, I was told I had suffered a double simultaneous infarction in 2 lobes of my brain.  They told me this is quite rare.  I told them hey, that's my philosophy, go big or go home.  

All that joking about my ticket to hell and I'll be damned if it didn't look like horns sprouting on top of each side of my brain on that MRI.

Luckily, by all outward appearances, no one is able to tell what happened.  No facial droop, no atrophy or palsy or anything.  Thank goddess for small favors.

The downside is I've lost much of my fine motor dexterity on my right side (the left-sided infarct was the dominant one, so my right side was affected), which means really struggling to coordinate my right hand to type.  I KNOW what keys I want to hit but the signal is getting scrambled between my brain and my fingers.

Looks like I'll be on disability for awhile, which means I'll be here on my favorite forum even more than usual, practicing my typing skills and enjoying the snark.  It's taking an ungodly amount of time to type even the shortest of posts so please be patient with me.  

WORD OF CAUTION:  This happened without warning and I was on blood pressure medication, cholesterol-lowering medications, and aspirin.  Luckily because of my profession I knew what was happening and received prompt medical attention.  I implore all of you to please seek medical attention immediately if you suspect something isn't "right" with how you're feeling.  It truly can save your life.  It did mine.

And with that disclosure, I've decided this is my new theme song to my life.  

Happy Sunday, my fellow posters!

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 21

Holy crap, Persnickety. I'm glad you can keep such a positive attitude - under the same circumstances, I'd be so freaked out!  Type on, please keep us up to date on your progress.

• Love 10

Holy fuckballs, Persnick - you are living my nightmare!  I am unreasonably terrified of "something sudden & bad" happening, and no one finding out for days or even weeks 'cause I can't get to the phone.  I am ever so glad you got fixed up and are coming through this - I don't know what we'd do without your perfect snark.  But hey, at least now I have your temporary company on the semi-disabled semi-useless arm(s) section of this peanut gallery that's like a second home!   :-)  

Seriously, though - if there's anything I can do for you, shoot me a PM anytime - I can drive up the 5 and gofer like a pro from Dover.  ;-)

• Love 10

Persnickety, I am so glad you listened to your body telling you something was not right! I hope your recovery is fast and complete. Know we here are sending you good thoughts and lots of giggles/laughs to aide in your recovery!

• Love 9

Well, dammit, y'all, my brain decided to do a CTRL + ALT + DELETE last Sunday at 2:30 in the afternoon.

Three days in the hospital, 2 MRIs, 1 MRA, and assorted neurological assessments later, I was told I had suffered a double simultaneous infarction in 2 lobes of my brain. They told me this is quite rare. I told them hey, that's my philosophy, go big or go home.

All that joking about my ticket to hell and I'll be damned if it didn't look like horns sprouting on top of each side of my brain on that MRI.

Luckily, by all outward appearances, no one is able to tell what happened. No facial droop, no atrophy or palsy or anything. Thank goddess for small favors.

The downside is I've lost much of my fine motor dexterity on my right side (the left-sided infarct was the dominant one, so my right side was affected), which means really struggling to coordinate my right hand to type. I KNOW what keys I want to hit but the signal is getting scrambled between my brain and my fingers.

Looks like I'll be on disability for awhile, which means I'll be here on my favorite forum even more than usual, practicing my typing skills and enjoying the snark. It's taking an ungodly amount of time to type even the shortest of posts so please be patient with me.

WORD OF CAUTION: This happened without warning and I was on blood pressure medication, cholesterol-lowering medications, and aspirin. Luckily because of my profession I knew what was happening and received prompt medical attention. I implore all of you to please seek medical attention immediately if you suspect something isn't "right" with how you're feeling. It truly can save your life. It did mine.

And with that disclosure, I've decided this is my new theme song to my life.

Happy Sunday, my fellow posters!

I'm sorry to hear everything you're going through.

But, I'll be happy to read your posts more often. :)

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 10

Persnickety, I'm so glad to hear you're OK! You know how much we like you on these boards and we're all breathing a sigh of relief and/or a prayer of thanks...take care of you and ((Hugs))❤️.

p.s. You are allowed to make as many typos as necessary & we couldn't care less. Type away or voice command your posts.

• Love 12

Persnickity,   Wow.  So glad you got to help fast.  What now?  Will the functioning you lost come back?   My grandson's left temporal lobe is inert (traumatic birth), the right lobe is taking on its function and though he is behind the curve in speech recognition he will probably catch up.  

• Love 5

Big, huge hugs to prettybird and Persnickety

Prettybird, I hope your husband's recovery is quick and uneventful.  I'm so glad that the HoWives are all a bunch of annoying chucklefucks, so we could entertain you with our pithy commentary and disgruntled snark. 

Persnickety, wow, I'm so sorry.  You're handling this like a boss though, as if there were any doubt.  Will you be able to recover any of your lost motor skills?  A cousin of mine had a stroke a few years ago which caused her to lose function on the right side of her body and she's recovered about 90% of it now, so I'm rooting for you!  Selfishly, I'll be happy to see more of you around here.  ; - )  

• Love 9

Oh, I never seem to come to this thread, so I've missed a lot.

Prettybird - we are your place for content that requires little concentration. Anytime you want to snark, just come sit down by me. I am sending prayers and good wishes to you and your husband from Detroit.

Persnickety - I was thinking yesterday that we hadn't heard much from you. I am glad to hear you are still with us. All of this sounds a little scary to me, but I will admit I am kind of glad that you will be spending more time on this forum. You will no doubt have lots of good snark heading into the finale and reunion.  We all need to hear from you. 

• Love 9

Best wishes to you and your husband, Prettybird. Like SwordQueen, I hope that we can help bring you some laughter and entertainment via the silliness of the show. 

Persnickety! You know that you are one of my favorites around here so I'm so glad to know that you are okay and are working towards getting back to being 100% Persnickety. Thanks too for passing along the words of caution. That must have been so scary! I'm so glad that it all worked out and that you'll be snarking with us even more.

• Love 8

Thanks so much for the well wishes, everyone!!!  As you know, I love my fellow PTV'ers like a fat kid loves cake.

The neurologists, physical and occupational therapists all assure me that, despite the magnitude of the infarcts, I should make a full and complete recovery.  The little downside to that is they're not sure how long it will take, maybe weeks, maybe months.  They were actually rather surprised I didn't incur more devastating effects.  I think I just got very, very lucky.  

Having been a workaholic since age 15, I like to think of it as my brain finally having short circuited in protest and is now forcing me to slow down for awhile.  

The other good news is apparently my employer is willing to hold my position open for however long it takes to fully recover.  Hard to find loyal employers like that and it takes a lot of the stress out of the recovery equation.

And now I have tons of programs to catch up on.

At least a couple of the nurses could relate to my dismay that the hospital didn't have Bravo.  And they totally loved my self-deprecating snark.

Grazi again for the well wishes and huge cyber hugs all around!!!  

• Love 21

Persnickety - I just checked this thread and here I read about your medical crisis. Prayers go your way and here is a big hug from me! HUG  Well wishes and positive thoughts.

Thank goodness your employer will hold your position. Please take it easy, get some much needed rest, and we will do our best to keep a smile on your face here.

• Love 4

So with the end in sight, anyone going to stroll on over to the OC once that airs? It was my first <3. I got to see people over 20 on my tv screen, since at the time(ironically) Paris Hilton was hot and most shows skewed really young. I just haven't been able to cut ties with RHOC yet. I'm going to miss this group!

Edited by LVmom
  • Love 1

Persnickety, sorry I am just reading about your "brain blips" I don't watch this thread much after episodes have aired. So happy to hear you are still here with us. I really like posting with you. Off to watch the Shahs & Southerners. Mike and dumb dumb on WWHL! Please chime in!

• Love 5

Ditto with the teeth brushing issues, I always seem to get one tiny toothpaste spot.

I've taken to doing dishes and putting on make up naked, at least from the waist up.  I only use mineral make up, and that stuff STICKS on clothes if you spill it.

The naked thing could be problematic if you have kids running around though.  ;)

Anyone use the little Neutrogena Make-Up Remover Cleansing Towelettes?  I've fallen in love with them.

I bought some and love them!  I am a convert.  Thanks for the tip! 

• Love 2

To Persnikety1 and Prettybird, You're both strong women that have a great amount of fortitude and strength. That's obvious in your comments. You're both on a very challenging road right now, but you're doing a great job of traveling that road. Most of us have someone in our lives that are close and have been affected by cancer or strokes so we're well aware of how much strength and resolve it takes to 'pass on through' these phases and move forward towards healing. We'll all be here to share our funny thoughts and silly stories with you. You'll have good weeks and bad, but no matter which it is, remember we're all going through this life with the same worries and hopes. We'll keep you both in our thoughts.

• Love 9

Haven't been posting as much, but I've been liking the heck out of a lot of my fellow PTV'er's posts, but I'll be taking a little break off PTV, and my other forum addictions, to deal with some health issues.

Keep up the snark all!

• Love 12

Haven't been posting as much, but I've been liking the heck out of a lot of my fellow PTV'er's posts, but I'll be taking a little break off PTV, and my other forum addictions, to deal with some health issues.

Keep up the snark all!

Get Well and come back soon! Sending you lots of laughter to help you heal faster!

• Love 7

Keep up the snark all!

Please check in from time to time and let us know how you're doing. Well wishes!

• Love 5

Keep up the snark all!

Hope you're back soon CyberJawa1986.

Take good care of yourself, sending good vibes your way. Please check in when possible.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 5

Keep up the snark all!

Wishing you well, CyberJawa1986.

• Love 4

Prettybird, Persnickety1, and CyberJawa1986 - sending you all positive vibes and prayers.

Persnickety1 - I'm so glad you were stealth in getting care and listened to your body. I know all to well from my mom having multiple strokes and it being discovered too late how getting urgent care is beneficial to a speedy and well recovery. Thank you for sharing and thanks for all your awesome snark. I've been a long time fangirl of your posts wayyyy back from TWOP pages (I lurked lol). :)

• Love 3

Keep up the snark all!

CyberJawa, you are sorely missed! Whatever you are going through I wish you a speedy recovery and send you good thoughts/prayers.❤️ Edited by msblossom
  • Love 2

Keep up the snark all!

Spring flowers always perk me up so I'm sending you some Cherry Blossoms. Get well soon.

love-flows-animated-flowers.gif

• Love 5

To go along with HumblePi...let's all think of a happy place to meet and share a sunny afternoon. There's a slight breeze blowing and if you listen carefully you can hear the wind chimes. Wishing everyone a perfectly lovely Saturday.

Beautiful-simple-backyard-flower-garden-

• Love 9

To go along with HumblePi...let's all think of a happy place to meet and share a sunny afternoon. There's a slight breeze blowing and if you listen carefully you can hear the wind chimes. Wishing everyone a perfectly lovely Saturday.

Beautiful-simple-backyard-flower-garden-

Thanks Talula, I'll have a Campari and white wine on the rocks.

• Love 4

Thanks Talula, I'll have a Campari and white wine on the rocks.

200906-r-campari-cocktail.jpg

3 3/4 cups sweet late-harvest white wine, such as Riesling

2 1/4 cups fresh orange juice

1 cup Campari

Ice, for serving

In a large pitcher, mix the white wine with the fresh orange juice and Campari. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours. Fill tall glasses with ice, pour the cocktail over the ice and serve.

hors-devores-buffet1.jpg

Edited by talula
  • Love 7

From Sword Queen:

"I wonder if it's just easier for people to decide to not be like their parent(s) when they don't naturally have the same personalities/mindsets, like it's easier to see traits in others that are opposite of your own than the traits that are the same or similar?"

First of all, I'm not sure where my strong sense of self came from. Perhaps from being alone so much as a child. I just knew my mother's actions were not how I wanted to act. Violence to those you profess to love didnt make much sense to me even as a child. My husband and I argue your question above often. I always claim that anyone should know how to take care of a child. Feed, clean, love, rinse repeat. I know this isn't so, but want it to be. I agree with you wholeheartedly that, "it's beyond reasonable to have to deal with people who are so mean, rude, and thoughtless, that they take pleasure in destroying everyone around them as well." And I, too, "draw the line in being sympathetic and supportive towards those who don't give a damn that they hurt others because they, themselves, are hurting." In fact, I just calmly tell them their behavior is socially unacceptable. It's amazing how taken aback they are to be told that! Thanks for thought provoking post.

• Love 4

I always thought I didn't want to be like my Mum.  As I grew older, I realized how much I was like my Mum.  We have both become better and wiser people.  Totally flawed, but much more understanding of each other.  SUCH a shocker!

• Love 7

I always thought I didn't want to be like my Mum. As I grew older, I realized how much I was like my Mum. We have both become better and wiser people. Totally flawed, but much more understanding of each other. SUCH a shocker!

I thought I knew who my mom was.

I knew she the woman who traveled to other states on her dime to save abused women, I knew she would put herself between between women and abusive assholes. And give away food to hungry families. And I still rebelled against her. Only to come back knowing how right she was!

She was classier, then me, more on point then me.

But I'm grateful for my mother's respect of peoples struggle.

This is what I have learned from my mother. Who I lost, 11 years ago.

• Love 15

From Sword Queen:

"I wonder if it's just easier for people to decide to not be like their parent(s) when they don't naturally have the same personalities/mindsets, like it's easier to see traits in others that are opposite of your own than the traits that are the same or similar?"

First of all, I'm not sure where my strong sense of self came from. Perhaps from being alone so much as a child. I just knew my mother's actions were not how I wanted to act. Violence to those you profess to love didnt make much sense to me even as a child. My husband and I argue your question above often. I always claim that anyone should know how to take care of a child. Feed, clean, love, rinse repeat. I know this isn't so, but want it to be. I agree with you wholeheartedly that, "it's beyond reasonable to have to deal with people who are so mean, rude, and thoughtless, that they take pleasure in destroying everyone around them as well." And I, too, "draw the line in being sympathetic and supportive towards those who don't give a damn that they hurt others because they, themselves, are hurting." In fact, I just calmly tell them their behavior is socially unacceptable. It's amazing how taken aback they are to be told that! Thanks for thought provoking post.

No, thank you for indulging me!  I'm sorry you were left alone so much as a child and had to come to such conclusions about your mother at such a young age.  I had a weird mixture of being both physically and emotionally suffocated and neglected.  It's caused a lot of confusion as to my own independence and inner strength as you'd might expect.  lol 

I agree that people, ideally, should know how to parent their child however, from whom did they learn how to parent?  Some people only know about these things from experiencing and witnessing from those in their immediate environment.  They take it in, accept it and then repeat it.  For whatever reason, they don't or can't think outside of their own experiences and may not have the exposure to anything outside of that.  This goes for all life experiences, not just parenting, and it can be very difficult to break these kinds of cycles.   

On the other hand, knowing something intellectually and logically, doesn't always translate into one's subconscious, one's emotions, one's beliefs, and into one's actions. For example, my dad was a really angry person who could at times, be emotionally, verbally and physically abusive.  I hated it and him, for a long time and swore I wouldn't be like that.  And I'm not, myself.  And I mentioned in the other thread that I was sexually abused by several different men as a kid.  So I am still reenacting the role of myself as a victim of abuse since almost every single boyfriend I've had has been an dysfunctional person and violent/abusive towards me.  I've worked on this for several years now and I know, intellectually, that I have this pattern of seeking out partners and I know where it comes from.  Do I still find myself with violent, dysfunctional people?  Yes.  Because this "default" of mine isn't a conscious choice, but a subconscious need that I'm not even aware that I'm seeking out until I find myself in another fucked up relationship.  So, even though I've been able to recognize my needs and my behavior and I try to change how I meet people, change my own view of myself, my outlook on life and relationships, on a conscious, intellectual level, I still attract to me and am attracted to those dysfunctional/violent types.  It's something I'm going to be working on for many more years, I know. 

I think some highly intellectual people at times don't understand (a little bit of irony lol) that many people can't function on that same level.  Many people cannot employ so much logic and reason to themselves and the world, and many people often run off of low-med emotional intelligence and habit.  The world would definitely be a better place if everyone could/would, imo.  Also, mental abilities and illnesses play a huge part in all of this, which is why two people can experience similar trauma but the one who has or is prone to mental illness will react one way, while the one who is more or less mentally stable will react in another way.  

I think that's why I just try to focus on myself and not get too caught up in what other people are doing.  I also feel like I can appreciate people who continue to put forth effort into accepting the consequences of their actions while consistently working on improving themselves, even if they don't achieve the kind of success that I or others may. To me, that is the measure of a person, not necessarily the end result.  As much as Kyle frustrates me, I am beyond disgusted by Kim and Brandi because of this.  Even though I am someone who can be very fixed in my opinions about people once I make them, I'm not adverse to changing my mind if I see either of them turning themselves around and accept accountability for themselves, fully. 

Eta:  I think this is why I love psychology. People are so complex and there aren't many certain answers to the whys and hows. 

Edited by SwordQueen
  • Love 10

I knew she the woman who traveled to other states on her dime to save abused women, I knew she would put herself between between women and abusive assholes. And give away food to hungry families. And I still rebelled against her. Only to come back knowing how right she was!

I am so sorry for your loss, imjagain.  Your post brought tears to my eyes, because ....

SwordQueen - you are going too deep for me, right now - so, just WOW to what you said.  It is hitting very close to home for me.  I just wish I could type long enough to be half as eloquent as you.

• Love 6

I am so sorry for your loss, imjagain. Your post brought tears to my eyes, because ....

SwordQueen - you are going too deep for me, right now - so, just WOW to what you said. It is hitting very close to home for me. I just wish I could type long enough to be half as eloquent as you.

Sorry, was a little emotional last night and a little buzzed.

Thanks for letting ramble.

Can I just say I'm grateful for this thread.

• Love 11

Hugs, Imjagain.  Please don't feel like you need to apologize.  What you said was so sweet and from the heart.  I'm so sorry for your loss, your mother sounded like an awesome lady.  We all need to hear the heartwarming stories, too, as well as the stories of struggle.  It's a balance. 

• Love 7

She sounds like an extraordinary soul. I lost mine 8 years ago. It's hard. Always remember the good times.

• Love 6