Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Cabana

• Start Topic

Yay for us!!

I remember there being so much angst over the multiple topics/individual episode threads in the Housewives forum. It seemed so wrong at the time but now it's so right.

I miss some of the posters who wouldn't give it a chance and refused to migrate. They would have been fine!

• Love 4

If it makes you feel any better, Nikkita came very close to banning me. I got along fine with Howard and Pembleton.

At the risk of outing myself as a total goody two shoes, I never had a single problem with ANY mod over there, including the alleged Nazi Howard.  I got warned maybe twice in over a dozen years, when I was particularly ornery enough to ignore my own better judgment.  Sorry if I offend everyone else who had bad experiences,  ,,, but I am the truth cannon.  :-)

• Love 4

To this day, I still don't get what the big deal about "boards-on-boards" was and could never get a viable explanation. Saying "Am I the only one who thinks....." was like asking Lucifer to take you to the prom. You were damned to hell forever! :)

• Love 10

I never got "Boards on Boards" and was called out a few times but only dinged once for it. Here my problem seems to be thread drift but the solution is usually a new thread so not a big deal. I do think being a mod can be tough to get right.

Edited by Lisin
  • Love 2

To this day, I still don't get what the big deal about "boards-on-boards" was and could never get a viable explanation. Saying "Am I the only one who thinks....." was like asking Lucifer to take you to the prom. You were damned to hell forever! :)

LOL! How about "thou shall not state opinion as fact." It felt so friggin' weird that I started every post with "imo," which I usually hate doing!

• Love 5

Any time a new-ish person would do it I'd think 'uh-oh'. Oh and heaven forbid a poster having the nerve to mention what's happening with the women in real time. That could get a thread shut down.

LOL! How about "thou shall not state opinion as fact." It felt so friggin' weird that I started every post with "imo," which I usually hate doing!a

Because of that I have a tendency to overuse IMO/JMO/I think/I thought, etc. 

Edited by Lisin
  • Love 2

Just because I'm dipping into the sherry whilst cooking my first non-quick & dirty meal of the year (self injury wiped me out on the 1st), my proudest TWoP rejoinders came at Brandi's expense, and are maybe worth repeating (or not - but NO Kim excuses here!).

Q: What will Brandi do after her 15 minutes of Ho'wives fame?

wq: Become a decorative tampon string model?

Q: Brandi is SUCH a phoney - she should have "hypocrite" tattooed on her forehead.

wq: Or on her ass, where everyone is sure to see it.

I'm sort of ashamed to toot my own horn, but inordinately proud, as well.  Hey, I am an imperfect person.  :-)

Back to my boneless pork loin roast; 50% off and a true indulgence.  :-)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 7

My issue wasn't the rules per se because I feel like any institution is free to create whatever rules they want and I get to choose whether I want to participate or not (though, admittedly, not stating opinion as fact was a little baffling to me - if I am stating it, isn't it implicitly understood that it's my opinion?) - it was the tone of certain moderators' moderation. I will never forget receiving a warning with a private message that lectured me about not lecturing other people. It seriously could not have been a bigger self-parody of total hypocritical contradiction. I literally sat there wondering if it was a joke for a moment. The level of projection was just classic. And the irony was that my original post was in no way intended to be a lecture. But here was this moderator speaking to me in the most condescending, accusatory, "opinion as fact" (ahem) tone about me not lecturing others. It was with the deepest demoralization that I "acknowledged" the post so I could keep posting. But after another such insane warning, I finally left TWoP because it wasn't worth compromising my sense of what was right or fair. It was just sad that after 10 years of not a single warning - and at one time being online friends with a moderator - it would come to this. The one or two times a moderator has reached out to me here to let me know of certain policies, they were completely respectful and friendly and it was a totally pleasant exchange. Being a moderator doesn't have to mean being a dick. It feels good to finally be able to talk about it!

Edited by PhilMarlowe2
  • Love 10

Oh man, I remember when the RHONY thread was shut down for MONTHS.  I was upset because the season was still running and shit was happening and I so wanted to post about it.

I got warnings a few times.  Once because I had posted something and had neglected to insert a paragraph break in one spot.  Apparently that made my post much too taxing for people to deal with.  Another time I got a warning because I was apparently insulting someone by stating that I didn't agree with their opinion and I guess disagreeing wasn't allowed that day.  Funny because I remember posting in the Sex and the City thread I thought it was bizarre that Miranda named her son Brady and what would happen once she and Steve married?  Would he then become Brady Hobbes Brady?  Another poster said that I was clearly an idiot for the post.  So calling someone an idiot was okay but stating that you disagreed with what someone else posted was offensive.

I love this site!

• Love 4

It's not that I overly resent rules; I just want them to be clear and enforced consistently.  Is that really too much to ask?

ETA: to clarify, I'm referring to that other place.  Here is good.  :-)

Edited by walnutqueen

Come on guys. We are all quite glad you're happy here, and bringing up TWoP to make a comparison or stroll down memory lane is fine, it's not a verboten topic, however I feel like we've said this until we're blue in the face. PLEASE stop bashing mods on that site. It's not fair, they're not here to defend themselves, or they are here, and they're reading what you're writing about them and feeling awful. I've deleted posts and I will continue to do so if it happens again. Pretty please? Stop bashing mods? Don't make us make the whole subject off limits. 

• Love 3
Just because I'm dipping into the sherry whilst cooking my first non-quick & dirty meal of the year (self injury wiped me out on the 1st), my proudest TWoP rejoinders came at Brandi's expense, and are maybe worth repeating (or not - but NO Kim excuses here!).

Toot that horn! lol

I seem to remember one of the funniest things on the TWoP RHoBH thread. It was about a page and a half long. There was discussion about YoFo's story about fighting off some gunman who came into her bedroom while she was breastfeeding one of her children (thankfully it wasn't Mohamed). The posts then became incredibly funny when the mention of Joyce fighting off a couple of trespassers in her driveway, and then I believe it was you, Walnutqueen, who mentioned Kyle throwing stars of David like they were those martial arts throwing stars, or was she whipping her hair as a weapon? It was one of the greatest chats to appear on RHoBH on that other site. I wish I had saved it before the place had closed down. Any chance anyone saved it? I would so love to read that again. Funny, the one topic I saved out of all the ones over at TWoP, was the TLC show "Man with the 130 Pound Scrotum". Thee funniest thread I ever read at TWoP. Don't judge. lol

• Love 4

Oh, GreatKazu - those "intruder" pages were the BEST!  But Kyle was cartwheeling down the driveway while throwing the Stars of David, then whipping her hair, I think.    :-)   And The Man with the 130 Pound Scrotum thread had the greatest puns by the most brilliant posters, eh!

• Love 1

Several of the threads have ongoing discussions about the husbands in the franchise; I wonder if there's interest in a dedicated thread?

My take:

Ken: I am not a fan. Not only is he cranky and rude ("if I see another Fatburger" -- you know perfectly well the Fatburgers are in the family, Ken, shut it.) I think he is basically an old school, self-made working class bloke, who Lisa has tried to dress up as being to the manor born, but it is fake. He blows her cover.

Harry: I was wondering how much we'd see of Mr. Hamlin, but I've liked it so far. His basic attitude seems to be, "Lisa's gonna Lisa" and since I like LisaR that reflects well on him.

Vince: Erm. I mean I give him credit for snagging Eileen but so far I'm not too impressed. He also seems a little bit disengaged, like he puts in an appearance but he's not interested in being centerstage.

Mauricio: Have always thought that he and Kyle make a good couple. I believe that they're into each other and would be into each other. And they seem to have the same priorities re: family, which makes them even more solid as a couple. I don't know anything about the infidelity rumors but my uninformed opinion is that they're just that, but it's not surprising that they would come up, given that he's attractive and successful.

David: So boring. I admit I tend to mute Yolanda scenes so I don't have a grip on his deal. Although I do think he's distant, which freaks the hell out of her. It runs counter to the narrative she's trying to sell. But that just might be his personality on camera, not everyone is an extrovert. He's got enough going on that he doesn't need some trifling show to bolster his self image. Yolanda.

• Love 3

Several of the threads have ongoing discussions about the husbands in the franchise; I wonder if there's interest in a dedicated thread?

My take:

Ken: I am not a fan. Not only is he cranky and rude ("if I see another Fatburger" -- you know perfectly well the Fatburgers are in the family, Ken, shut it.) I think he is basically an old school, self-made working class bloke, who Lisa has tried to dress up as being to the manor born, but it is fake. He blows her cover.

Harry: I was wondering how much we'd see of Mr. Hamlin, but I've liked it so far. His basic attitude seems to be, "Lisa's gonna Lisa" and since I like LisaR that reflects well on him.

Vince: Erm. I mean I give him credit for snagging Eileen but so far I'm not too impressed. He also seems a little bit disengaged, like he puts in an appearance but he's not interested in being centerstage.

Mauricio: Have always thought that he and Kyle make a good couple. I believe that they're into each other and would be into each other. And they seem to have the same priorities re: family, which makes them even more solid as a couple. I don't know anything about the infidelity rumors but my uninformed opinion is that they're just that, but it's not surprising that they would come up, given that he's attractive and successful.

David: So boring. I admit I tend to mute Yolanda scenes so I don't have a grip on his deal. Although I do think he's distant, which freaks the hell out of her. It runs counter to the narrative she's trying to sell. But that just might be his personality on camera, not everyone is an extrovert. He's got enough going on that he doesn't need some trifling show to bolster his self image. Yolanda.

I think The King fancies himself above all this HoWife b.s. and I don't really blame him for that.  Yolanda also seems like an annoying little gnat that just buzzes around bothering him. Can you imagine living with her all the time?

• Love 1

My impression of David is that he's like Sheldon Cooper on the Big Bang Theory in that he's just not that interested in anything the doesn't affect him. I don't think he thinks he's above all the b.s. I don't think he even notices the b.s. And surely Yo doesn't bother her love with such trivial things.

• Love 3
Oh, GreatKazu - those "intruder" pages were the BEST!  But Kyle was cartwheeling down the driveway while throwing the Stars of David, then whipping her hair, I think.    :-)   And The Man with the 130 Pound Scrotum thread had the greatest puns by the most brilliant posters, eh!

Yes, they were the best pages out of all the pages!!! I can't tell you how many times I read those pages over and over just so I could get a good belly laugh. Good times. I also remembered YoFo throwing lemons at the intruders, Carlton, I think, was mentioned in that as well. Can't remember what was posted about how she would handle intruders. I want to say she would put a hex on them or throw her crosses at them. I am kicking myself for not saving those pages.

• Love 1

My impression of David is that he's like Sheldon Cooper on the Big Bang Theory in that he's just not that interested in anything the doesn't affect him. I don't think he thinks he's above all the b.s. I don't think he even notices the b.s. And surely Yo doesn't bother her love with such trivial things.

They surely discussed what this show would mean to them personally and as individuals. They seem controlled and calculating.  He is a big name but felt he needed for Yolanda to be involved to make himself more relevant?   We all knew his name, but did we know how busy he is and is he really that busy or just out of the taping with the pretense of traveling the globe?  Not saying he is washed up, by any means.  Just seems odd he would want to be a part of this franchise. Clearly there was a plan and strategy.  They seem forced and rehearsed. 

Edited by wings707

OK, the only thing worse was the multiple persona poster/trolls who made my long and happy life over there miserable. Bad apples happen, everywhere. I loved it there for many years, and I love it here now. I am a serial monogamist, eh! :-)

I transitioned here early, and was delighted to engage in a fanwanking convo with a MOD on an obscure thread. That was the wind beneath my wings ... (and now I'm an insufferable monster poster myself!). :-)

Seriously, for one hot minute, I appreciate a place where grownups can come to play nicely. Thank you, David T. Cole. I promise to only stalk Gordon Lightfoot from afar. woof woof.

Hi walnut queen, I was attempting to quote you but I screwed it up. What I wanted to ask you about was your earlier reference to Gordon Lightfoot. Are you a fan? Perhaps from the Sundown days?

eta: oh look, I think I did it right.

Edited by ub40fan
  • Love 2

Hi walnut queen, I was attempting to quote you but I screwed it up. What I wanted to ask you about was your earlier reference to Gordon Lightfoot. Are you a fan? Perhaps from the Sundown days?

eta: oh look, I think I did it right.

Guilty as charged - I'm a Canadian and old, eh!   Also, I saw cute pictures of David T. Cole's dog - whose name is Gordon Lightfoot, on another thread,  So cool.  :-)

I 'm old, bought Sundown on vinyl. I still have it around somewhere with all the old Fleetwood Macs and EagLes and America and Steely Dan records I have stashed somewhere. 'I saw him in concert about 30 years ago, mellowest concert I'd ever been to. We had margaritas beforehand and came thisclose to falling asleep. In a good way. Being sung to sleep by Gordon Lightfoot...heaven.

Edited by ub40fan
  • Love 4

NBC is reporting that Conrad Hilton, Kathy's son, was removed from a flight for smoking pot and threatening the crew on a flight. He said something like his father would pay to have him released from custody because the last time he paid $300,000. What a lovely family.

• Love 4

As I mentioned before my former boyfriend and his then-wife adopted two boys who were brothers, ages 3 and 14 months. The younger one has dyslexia and some serious anger issues sometimes. He also stole money from me, which was a catalyst for the breakdown of my relationship with his father. The parents know absolutely nothing about the birth parents except that one boy was born in Kansas City, the other was born in Charlotte. They abandoned the boys at an orphanage in Chicago, saying they just couldn't take care of them anymore. They changed both boys names and during the 6-month grace period after they took them home, they had passports ready and were going to flee the country if the birth parents tried to get them back. I'm serious, they were not letting these kids go.

Anyway, all they knew about the parents was that the mother agreed to be sterilized. They know nothing of their medical history, drug use, etc.

With the younger son being an emotional roller coaster and stealing from people, I suggested to his father that his mother may have been using drugs when she was pregnant with him. You can tell by looking at them they had the same mother and father, but the older boy is so different personality-wise. The younger one is just wired differently. Can't keep a job, changes jobs every 6 months and it's always "I got laid off" or "They let a bunch of us go." I asked the father if he ever followed-up with the employers to see if that was true or not, and he hadn't. He takes everything his sons say at face value, despite a long history of the younger one lying.

So, when you adopt you don't always get information on the birth parents or the medical history while they were pregnant or if they were doing drugs when nursing, etc.

• Love 2

Jax from Vanderpump Rules used the expression "my gays" on WWHL and Andy didn't say anything nor did he have a reaction. I think the exact quote from Jax was "I love my gays." 

I don't know, I don't know what Andy's real feelings are here.

Heh, I was guessing Shahs or Vanderpump Rules.

Throw a rock out here in LA and there's somebody who knows at least one of those embarrassing jokers in a six degrees of Kevin Bacon sort of way. ETA: I include myself in this I'm sad to say lol.

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 2

As I mentioned before my former boyfriend and his then-wife adopted two boys who were brothers, ages 3 and 14 months. The younger one has dyslexia and some serious anger issues sometimes. He also stole money from me, which was a catalyst for the breakdown of my relationship with his father. The parents know absolutely nothing about the birth parents except that one boy was born in Kansas City, the other was born in Charlotte. They abandoned the boys at an orphanage in Chicago, saying they just couldn't take care of them anymore. They changed both boys names and during the 6-month grace period after they took them home, they had passports ready and were going to flee the country if the birth parents tried to get them back. I'm serious, they were not letting these kids go.

Anyway, all they knew about the parents was that the mother agreed to be sterilized. They know nothing of their medical history, drug use, etc.

With the younger son being an emotional roller coaster and stealing from people, I suggested to his father that his mother may have been using drugs when she was pregnant with him. You can tell by looking at them they had the same mother and father, but the older boy is so different personality-wise. The younger one is just wired differently. Can't keep a job, changes jobs every 6 months and it's always "I got laid off" or "They let a bunch of us go." I asked the father if he ever followed-up with the employers to see if that was true or not, and he hadn't. He takes everything his sons say at face value, despite a long history of the younger one lying.

So, when you adopt you don't always get information on the birth parents or the medical history while they were pregnant or if they were doing drugs when nursing, etc.

I'm adopted, and I know for a fact that my mom would have fled the country with me if the adoption fell through.  She told me this.  She also said she told my dad that if he didn't agree, he could go to hell and she was leaving him behind.  It doesn't take long for an adoptive mother to forget her child is adopted.

About learning about your bio parents:  My mom told me a detailed story about my biological mother that supposedly came from the girl's pastor.  It included the college she was attending nearby, and where she was originally from.  After a little research, I realized she'd never attended the college.  I'm not sure if it was deliberate misdirection, or if details were forgotten.  Something that has made my search more difficult - I have original documents that list my bio mom with two different spellings of her last name.  It's amazing to me that documents so critical had misspellings.  And it wasn't minor - it was the first letter of the last name.

As an aside, my mom gave me the documents when I was eighteen.  I don't claim any paranormal abilities, but when she handed me the forms, "Catherine" popped into my head.  And wouldn't you know it, that's her first name.

• Love 5

Heh, I was guessing Shahs or Vanderpump Rules.

Throw a rock out here in LA and there's somebody who knows at least one of those embarrassing jokers in a six degrees of Kevin Bacon sort of way. ETA: I include myself in this I'm sad to say lol.

Ha no, but I did see Jax at the Grove the other day. He was with some woman and had a big smile on his face. I don't watch VR but I cannot help but have a soft spot for the guy - he seems to have a genuine heart.

Season 2 of Black Sails -- Just for episode XIII -- outstanding.  For anyone who loves Toby Stephens, Rupert Penry Jones, rest of the cast, and the gorgeous views of Capetown.  Run, don't walk.  Way to reinvent a show with a massive wallop. 

A great chaser to the RHs swill. 

• Love 1

Season 2 of Black Sails -- Just for episode XIII -- outstanding.  For anyone who loves Toby Stephens, Rupert Penry Jones, rest of the cast, and the gorgeous views of Capetown.  Run, don't walk.  Way to reinvent a show with a massive wallop. 

A great chaser to the RHs swill. 

My husband loves, loves that show.

I want to apologize to anyone here who might feel I have disrespected their opinion. I've been told that I have. I certainly didn't intend to come of that way and I do respect and enjoy hearing everyone's perspective. While we are all different with different experiences, I believe that we all post for enjoyment and I very much enjoy doing so and reading everyone's posts. If I have made anyone feel badly, please know that is the last thing I wanted to do. PM if you feel that way and I can apologize directly to you. ...Higgins

This is how I'm feeling today

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10154994_10152119427068691_3784842444638830985_n.jpg?oh=5d89b8576dcbced5e0ccf37b74239516&oe=554EE545&__gda__=1434973352_fbbf4e05cc6b3d203d78d38b3cf53a1e

• Love 6

I want to apologize to anyone here who might feel I have disrespected their opinion. I've been told that I have. I certainly didn't intend to come of that way and I do respect and enjoy hearing everyone's perspective. While we are all different with different experiences, I believe that we all post for enjoyment and I very much enjoy doing so and reading everyone's posts. If I have made anyone feel badly, please know that is the last thing I wanted to do. PM if you feel that way and I can apologize directly to you. ...Higgins

This is how I'm feeling today

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10154994_10152119427068691_3784842444638830985_n.jpg?oh=5d89b8576dcbced5e0ccf37b74239516&oe=554EE545&__gda__=1434973352_fbbf4e05cc6b3d203d78d38b3cf53a1e

((Hugging Higgins)). :)
  • Love 7

((Hugging Higgins)). :)

Huggies from me too, Higgins!  It's okay--I'm certainly not upset or offended  ... I go overboard with alarming frequency and sometimes hate myself in the morning ... We're all in this leaky canoe together, right?

Just saw that the great Leonard Nimoy had died out in LA at the age of 83.  Sadz.

• Love 6

Huggies from me too, Higgins!  It's okay--I'm certainly not upset or offended  ... I go overboard with alarming frequency and sometimes hate myself in the morning ... We're all in this leaky canoe together, right?

Just saw that the great Leonard Nimoy had died out in LA at the age of 83.  Sadz.

Thanks! That's sad....it's like all our childhood entertainers are disappearing. I'll never get over losing George Carlin damn he was brilliant!

• Love 5
(edited)

The top three neighborhoods with entertainment celebrities in residence are Carbon Beach, the Malibu Colony and Broad Beach. Broad Beach has larger lots and a wider beach than the Colony, but is further west, away from LA. Carbon Beach is a beautiful stretch of sand, closest to LA of the three, and home to billionaires, but the multi-multi-million dollar "cottages" are side-by-side and directly on PCH.

(PCH: Pacific Coast Hwy/Hwy 1)

http://www.malibucomplete.com/mc_stars_homes.php

Carbon Beach/Billionaire's Beach photo gallery

http://www.businessinsider.com/who-lives-on-malibus-billionaires-beach-2012-11#welcome-to-billionaires-beach-malibu-has-21-miles-of-shoreline-but-carbon-beach-extends-for-just-one-mile-along-the-coast-1

Another beachfront home photo gallery

http://www.ranker.com/list/celebrities-who-live-in-malibu/celebrity-lists?format=SLIDESHOW&page=1

Some of the photos provide a good perspective re the difference between living on the sand or just across PCH and living up on the bluff like Yo does.

Edited by suomi
  • Love 1