Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Cabana

• Start Topic

(edited)

Fostering a dog means you keep the dog in your home, as a pet, until they find a forever home for it.  The problem that arises is getting attached to the dog and feeling sad when they go.  

Since you are not an experienced dog owner I would advise against fostering dogs.  Choose one for your family and focus you efforts him/her.

My DH brought up fostering a few months ago.  He thought maybe it would be a way of providing a necessary service for dogs that need temporary homes and bonus...letting us try on being doggy parents for size.  But yeah, I could totally see getting attached but then we'd just keep him or her, right?.  I don't want to let our neighbors' dogs go home when we sit them so I know how easy it is to get attached. Thanks, wings.

Edited by ryebread
  • Love 3

An older dog can be trained, absolutely!    

We've adopted three dogs - one elderly, one at six months, and one at 1-1/2 to 2 years.  All of them came from spotty backgrounds and endured varying degrees of abuse or neglect, but the older ones were easier to train and socialize than the six month old. Some of them come already housebroken and trained -- to borrow from the Humane Society campaign, older dogs are cool.  Age shouldn't be the only consideration when looking at a dog, and all dogs are different, but by the same token, older --I mean, mature -- dogs can definitely be trained.

• Love 5
(edited)

rye bread, there's no shame in being a foster failure by ending up adopting the dog.

Ha ha ha!  there is that, too!  

My DH brought up fostering a few months ago.  He thought maybe it would be a way of providing a necessary service for dogs that need temporary homes and bonus...letting us try on being doggy parents for size.  But yeah, I could totally see getting attached but then we'd just keep him or her, right?.  I don't want to let our neighbors' dogs go home when we sit them so I know how easy it is to get attached. Thanks, wings.

As Bronzedog  said, you so totally can do that!  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

Shhhhh.  My son is a mama's boy.  But not in the tied to my apron strings kind of way.  I'm involved with his school activities.  While a lot of boys his age will ignore their mothers when they're serving meals during camps, for example, (some are plain rude) mine will come up and drape his arm around my shoulder. "Hey, Ma!"  No shame.  And when it's time for him to go back to the field, he says, "Love you, mom."  Doesn't matter who's standing there. 

My oldest is like that. He has always been very independent, but has never been afraid to acknowledge me or show affection in public. My youngest (16) gets embarrassed to do so in public. The funny thing is that his best friend affectionately calls me 'mom' and is usually the one to yell "hi, Mom!" when the two are together with a bunch of other kids and they see me.

• Love 3

Well, I guess there's nothing left to do but sit back and wait for ryebread to post pictures of her new dog.

LOL.  Slow down there, Bessie.  Still gotta clear it with the mister.

But while we're on the subject of posting pictures, I know I have to upload to a site and then copy urls, etc.  Can you or someone tell me what site I need to download (or is it upload?) to.  Thanks.

• Love 1
(edited)

LOL. Slow down there, Bessie. Still gotta clear it with the mister.

If he is resistant, just do what I did. There is a website called petfinder.com that tells you what animals are available at shelters near you. I just kept leaving pictures of cute doggies open on our desktop computer until he weakened. I finally caught him filling out an application. I didn't let him know I had seen him. I let him 'surprise' us when he told us the application was accepted and they were calling to schedule an interview. we got to adopt the pup and he thought it was all his idea!

Eta: I guess I can be as passive/ aggressive as Brandi sometimes, but at least I try to use my powers for good!

Edited by EVS
  • Love 5

Actually, my current dog, a cocker spaniel, was about 5 when I adopted him sight unseen so he wouldn't be put down. He was a stray and nothing was known about him. My niece had a baby boy shortly after. The dog glued himself to that baby like he was the one who had given birth. The kid can do anything to him. The dog adores him! Apparently, he had lost a family with kids, so, you never know. The truth is, though, if you go to a shelter, the dog is going to chose you, anyway. You just won't realize it when it happens

I love this story.  Dogs are precious creatures, I don't want live without one, ever.  

And so true, the dog chooses you.  They know where they belong.  It is fun to watch this happen.  People can be undecided and vacillating between several.  Then all of a sudden they decide and if you are watching closely the dog has done something in that moment to seal the deal.  

I watched one medium size black mix casually walk up and lick the hand of the daughter.  Bingo.  They took her home and she was not the main contender either.  

ryebread don't look for a sign, just choose the dog you are drawn to.  That dog will have done something you don't even know.  

• Love 3

When I lost my black lab, I was totally devastated and knew no one could replace him. I hated coming home and knew I needed to replace him so I'd have a reason to come home. I looked and looked. I went to the DC Animal Shelter and started talking to a staff member. She said she had the perfect dog, a golden retriever, but he was in a foster home. I went to the foster home and there were about 5 Bernese mountain dogs and they were HUGE. And there was a smallish golden retriever. The golden retriever came running, jumped over one of the huge dogs, skidded into me and raised his paw and shook my hand! No sign there that we were meant to be together. Had him for 13 years.

• Love 7

But while we're on the subject of posting pictures, I know I have to upload to a site and then copy urls, etc.  Can you or someone tell me what site I need to download (or is it upload?) to.  Thanks.

So, quick and dirty response,

• Go to the website of the picture you want to use and right click on the picture and select "Copy Image URL"
  • Go to imgur.com and click on the Upload Images button at the top left of the page
  • in the pop up window that shows up paste the URL and click "Start Upload"
  • you'll be redirected to a new page with your picture,
  • Here's the crucial part: Don't copy the URL at the top of the page...
  • Right click on the picture itself and select "Copy Image URL" again,
  • When you come here, click the little picture frame icon in the posting menu and paste the image url into the form and click OK. 
  • Love 2
(edited)

Oh, I can spend HOURS looking on Petfinder.com and cooing, squealing and awww-ing myself into a stupor.   Good luck, ryebread.  The search can be really exciting. 

I have two dogs, but I'm a cat person, myself.  Nothing more relaxing, imo, than curling up with a cat, while softly petting them and hearing that purr.  <3

I usually have one of my fat cats on my lap while I'm typing out posts.  Gets tricky to spell everything correctly when there's a cat using your arm as a headrest.  lol 

Edited by SwordQueen
  • Love 6

Got to get my plug in for my favorite breed, the golden retriever. We have adopted 4 from a golden rescue in the last 17 years. they are very easy to train and are a perfect dog for newbie owners. Their only draw back is the shedding but that's minor compared to the joy they bring. Having said that, I never met a dog I didn't like so I'm partial. Even poor Kingsley could have had such a different life in the hands of a responsible owner.

• Love 4

I have a golden mix now. She's 1/2 golden and she's a great dog. I also have a 16 month old German Shepherd. I'm hoping to make her a therapy dog. My best dog ever was the rescue my husband thinks he picked out. We think she was a shepherd/golden/hound mix.

I love cats too, but my husband and youngest are both severely allergic. I also had several rabbits that thought they were cats. They were really cuddly! They were potty trained too.

• Love 5
(edited)

I have a Rat Terrier and he is a very cool little guy.  It is a small breed that is not hyper or bark prone and very smart.  

220px-Lucy%2C_a_Rat_Terrier.jpg

Edited by wings707
  • Love 7

I love cats too, but my husband and youngest are both severely allergic. I also had several rabbits that thought they were cats. They were really cuddly! They were potty trained too.

I'm allergic to all animals but I'm not smart enough to stay away from them. I just buy Kleenex in bulk from Costco.  ; - )

I had a rabbit when I was a kid!   He was a tan lop ear named Mr. Benjamin Bunny, or Benny the Bunny.  I had mice, too, which were my favorite.  I also kept lizards and snakes and box turtles.  I've always loved animals more than people.  lol 

• Love 2
(edited)

In defense of older dogs(after what I posted earlier), I have a pug who is litter trained. When we adopted our puggle, she immediately started using the litter box. Trust me, this dog was not using a litter box at the breeders or shelter. And I do adore her, so older dogs are still a wonderful option and can be trained. :)

Edited by LVmom
  • Love 4

I'm allergic to all animals but I'm not smart enough to stay away from them. I just buy Kleenex in bulk from Costco.  ; - )

I had a rabbit when I was a kid!   He was a tan lop ear named Mr. Benjamin Bunny, or Benny the Bunny.  I had mice, too, which were my favorite.  I also kept lizards and snakes and box turtles.   I've always loved animals more than people.  lol

Me too. Once when my son was little, I helped chaperone a field trip to a farm and spent most of the time petting a big, beautiful affectionate hog. (I love kids too though. I'm a former teacher.) I like reptiles and amphibians too, but horses are my absolute favorite animal.

• Love 6

Me too. Once when my son was little, I helped chaperone a field trip to a farm and spent most of the time petting a big, beautiful affectionate hog. (I love kids too though. I'm a former teacher.) I like reptiles and amphibians too, but horses are my absolute favorite animal.

Have you ever been around wild horses?  They are just about the most beautiful creatures.  Pigs are awesome, too.  My grandparents owned a hobby farm when they were alive and I loved playing with the pigs and chickens, especially.  I love kids, too, until they learn how to talk back, that is. lol  

Cats are my favorite animals ever though.  I would crawl around with a stuffed animal kitty in my mouth (like momma cats do) when I was a baby.  lol 

• Love 3

Have you ever been around wild horses?  They are just about the most beautiful creatures.  Pigs are awesome, too.  My grandparents owned a hobby farm when they were alive and I loved playing with the pigs and chickens, especially.  I love kids, too, until they learn how to talk back, that is. lol  

Cats are my favorite animals ever though.  I would crawl around with a stuffed animal kitty in my mouth (like momma cats do) when I was a baby.  lol

Unfortunately, no. I'm sure they are magnificent though.

• Love 2

Just about, he weighs 9 pounds!

One of my bunnies was 6 lbs so not much smaller than your dog. He looks like a sweet doggie. That's a great picture!

• Love 3

Unfortunately, no. I'm sure they are magnificent though.

I'm not sure where you are in the US (or the world) but if you're ever in the Maryland/Virginia area, Assateague Island has hundreds of wild horses that live and roam there.  It's pretty awesome to see them free and doing their horsey things. 

• Love 3

One of my bunnies was 6 lbs so not much smaller than your dog. He looks like a sweet doggie. That's a great picture!

That is a stock photo. I chose it because it looks EXACTLY like Vinnie, down to every detail.  Well, except the pink collar.   He is a precious boy. 

I'm not sure where you are in the US (or the world) but if you're ever in the Maryland/Virginia area, Assateague Island has hundreds of wild horses that live and roam there.  It's pretty awesome to see them free and doing their horsey things. 

I would love to see wild horses in person.  I have seen them on TV only. 

• Love 3

I have so many animal stories, and I can never remember which ones I've told in which forums (thanks, menopause!), so forgive me if this is a repeat; it surely won't be the last. 

When Babalu found me he was a tiny kitten who came to work with me, traveled in my purse, walked on a leash, loved car rides, and picked out his own toys at Petsmart (I still call him my little puppy sometimes).  He instantly wormed his way into the graces of my other 4 elderly male cats and brought them life and love.  When he was young he often tried suckling on my soulmate Beanie Baby's titties, and my Beanster just lay there and purred in ecstasy for long periods of time while Babalu kneaded and sucked - loudly.  Eventually Bean would give a loud yelp and jump up, and I knew Babalu had finally nipped the nip in frustration over not getting any milk!  It was hilarious!  Such great memories I have.  :-)

And now the GOD DAMN waterworks start as I remember Babalu was sent to us to see each one of my boys to the other side, and to be my last comfort after I lost them all within 4 years.  He may well have saved my life.  Fucking menopause, again, with the tears!.  I should be as skinny as LisaR with all the water weight I lose through tears & sweat, but nope, I am finally fat after decades of having her type of body!   :~)

• Love 11

One of my fondest memories is of almost being kicked by one of them who didn't understand  that horse-obsessed four-year-olds mean no harm (and the four year old didn't understand that not every horse, tame or wild, wants someone running up to them).

• Love 2

Awww.  I'm loving these stories and though I had an idea what we were missing by being petless, you guys confirm it.

If he is resistant, just do what I did. There is a website called petfinder.com that tells you what animals are available at shelters near you.

Many an evening spent at our house, me and my kid perusing (squealing) over Petfinder while DH is watching Alaskan crabs being pulled from the sea. 

The golden retriever came running, jumped over one of the huge dogs, skidded into me and raised his paw and shook my hand! No sign there that we were meant to be together. Had him for 13 years.

Great memory.  I wasn't even there and I can envision this. LOL

So, quick and dirty response,

• Go to the website of the picture you want to use and right click on the picture and select "Copy Image URL"
  • Go to imgur.com and click on the Upload Images button at the top left of the page
  • in the pop up window that shows up paste the URL and click "Start Upload"
  • you'll be redirected to a new page with your picture,
  • Here's the crucial part: Don't copy the URL at the top of the page...
  • Right click on the picture itself and select "Copy Image URL" again,
  • When you come here, click the little picture frame icon in the posting menu and paste the image url into the form and click OK. 

Thank you, Lisin!  Quick and dirty, just the way I like it.  And one easy step at a time.  It's the uploading to a website I was having trouble with.  Will practice tonight.

• Love 4

I would love to see wild horses in person.  I have seen them on TV only. 

I worked at a horse rescue for years, and watching domestic horses hang around/play in a field is about as much fun. Because they're horses.  But there are wild horse rescue ranches around the country, and some allow visitors -- most of them for a fee. aka donation of some kind, which can vary in amount from reasonable to you've got to be kidding. 

• Love 4

Gotta get my plug in regards to ryebread's doggie quest  :)  

See avatar .. that's me with my now 7 yr old black lab.  I love dogs and can't imagine life without one.  

Mr. jnymph and I adopted her from a shelter after losing our previous beloved lab.   We got her when she was 3 yrs old and she adapted to our lives almost immediately.    Really had no problems training her at all.   She carries no baggage (well unless you ask her to, she'll literally carry those plastic grocery bags in her mouth from the car into the house  LOL ) 

But ryebread; beware!  Once you have a dog, you will be addicted.    In a good way.   Not in a Kim Richards way.

• Love 9

The Bravo site has episodes a day or 2 after they air so I will be able to watch them online when I am at my son's!  In the quiet of the guest room I will indulge.  :>)  

• Love 4

You can also live stream from the Bravo now app.

I will be getting my first smart phone on Tuesday when I am in Phoenix.  Finally!  I will probably here asking how I find that app. 

• Love 3

I have to laugh.  Just heard tips on how to make Easter a healthy experience for kids.  

**Use beet or cabbage juice to dye the eggs. Since when is food coloring bad?

**Dark chocolate (yuh, kids love that) instead of milk chocolate.  If you have to give milk chocolate make sure it is with fruit or nuts. 

** put healthy treats inside plastic eggs (carrots sticks will wow them).  

** put toys and games in basket instead of candy (really? we do that on xmas). 

• Love 5

** put healthy treats inside plastic eggs (carrots sticks will wow them).  

Yup... they'll wow them into being like "Wow mom, where's the Easter candy?" 

Sorry, I couldn't resist! 

• Love 9

I love reading STFU Parents around Easter, they usually get some amazing Easter submissions. Some people go all out like it's Christmas.

I hate dying eggs, but I seriously doubt it's the dyed eggs causing kids to be unhealthy. Now that Robert L Strohecker bunny I bought from Harbor Sweets......that could use a carrot stick or two to balance out the fact that it's filled with almond buttercrunch toffee, caramel, pecans and whole toasted almonds.

• Love 2

I love reading STFU Parents around Easter, they usually get some amazing Easter submissions. Some people go all out like it's Christmas.

I hate dying eggs, but I seriously doubt it's the dyed eggs causing kids to be unhealthy. Now that Robert L Strohecker bunny I bought from Harbor Sweets......that could use a carrot stick or two to balance out the fact that it's filled with almond buttercrunch toffee, caramel, pecans and whole toasted almonds.

Oh good god that sounds good!  

I love dying eggs!   Our tradition was to put a clue in a plastic egg that took the boys to the next egg with the next clue.  It took them all over the house and yard (if there wasn't snow) to the end where their Easter Baskets were hidden.  Each egg contained a couple of candies, too.  It was fun for all of us and both boys do that with their kids now.  And of course there was candy in the basket.  When they got the baskets they used it to find hidden colored eggs.  I dyed eggs with the kids but the Easter Bunny made special swirled ones.  

And a tradition from my childhood was to leave the Easter Bunny a salami sandwich and a shot of rum.  I passed that on to my kids too!  Santa gets the same treat.  

• Love 8
(edited)

And a tradition from my childhood was to leave the Easter Bunny a salami sandwich and a shot of rum.  I passed that on to my kids too!  Santa gets the same treat.  

...and while you guys have that tradition, ours was to let mom and dad sleep in until eleven...actually, it wasn't really a holiday tradition, more like a daily tradition...lol.

Edited by CyberJawa1986
  • Love 5

Oh good god that sounds good!  

I love dying eggs!   Our tradition was to put a clue in a plastic egg that took the boys to the next egg with the next clue.  It took them all over the house and yard (if there wasn't snow) to the end where their Easter Baskets were hidden.  Each egg contained a couple of candies, too.  It was fun for all of us and both boys do that with their kids now.  And of course there was candy in the basket.  When they got the baskets they used it to find hidden colored eggs.  I dyed eggs with the kids but the Easter Bunny made special swirled ones.  

We dyed eggs tonight with our 3 year old Grand Daughter. It is the tradition for her to dye the eggs with Grammy and Pap Pap! Our son and DIL are there as well, we make it a family tradition!

• Love 5

**Use beet or cabbage juice to dye the eggs. Since when is food coloring bad?

It kind of always has been. I don't see where it matters much with eggs, though. I'm not over the top with these type of things but after several months of keeping track of my son's diet, his doctor thought maybe he couldn't tolerate red dye #40.

I said, "you have got to be kidding me. That's in just about everything!" She said, "I know. Try to avoid it and see if that helps him. A lot of people are sensitive to it." Sure enough, he doesn't have the issues when he doesn't eat it.

The funny part of that story is my mother was in the States at the time and making him a birthday cake. A completely homemade red velvet cake, cooked flour frosting and all. I excused myself and very impolitely called my mom from the exam room. She said the same thing I did. "You have got to be kidding me" and " good thing I haven't added the TWO bottles of red food coloring yet!" His pediatrician busted out in laughter.

• Love 8

I remember decades ago when red food dye was suspect.  I was under the impression that had been taken care of and red dyes were safe! Guess not. :>)

They are safer now, yes.  But if they can affect hummingbirds aversely (sometimes irritating the tongue or stomach), they could also affect young children or even adults with certain sensitivities. 

So please don't add red dye to your hummingbird food!  :-)

• Love 6

They are safer now, yes.  But if they can affect hummingbirds aversely (sometimes irritating the tongue or stomach), they could also affect young children or even adults with certain sensitivities. 

So please don't add red dye to your hummingbird food!  :-)

I knew about that, just thought it was a bird thing.  I don't use food coloring at all so no worries for me.  I don't eat things that have been colored either.  

• Love 2