Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Enjoy your spa day, @Scarlett45! You deserve it. Cosmo is just adorable.

I hated my name since I was a kid. I've wanted to change it legally to a nickname I've used since I was a young teen, but I've never gotten around to it.  It's been enough of a struggle to get my family (not my husbands family, mine) to use my preferred name, not my given one. 

Yesterday, my power went out at about 2 in the afternoon til after 5:30 pm. It was 105, so it didn't take long to get miserable in the house. We went out for dinner. When the power finally came on, we were laughing that you would go deaf from the sound of all the air conditioners running at the same time. Then spent 3 hours on hold with Delta trying to get a name on a ticket corrected. Would have been faster to go to the airport and go to the Delta desk 

Hope everyone has a good weekend and stays cool. The desert heat is miserable and unending. And no rain in months. And none expected. 

• Love 4

I’m trying to stay upbeat this weekend. I discovered that one of my dear and oldest friends (from college and law school) passed away last May.  I’m still in shock.  We had not been in contact, it’s a long story, but never stopped caring. I had posted about her a couple of months ago here.  I was touched to see two photos of us celebrating law school graduation on her funeral tribute page!  You could see the joy on our faces. Oh, those were fun days.  Hold those that you care about close.  Life is short. People are precious.  I’m glad that she appeared to have good friends and family supporting her.  It apparently was cancer....omg, I hate cancer.  

4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m trying to stay upbeat this weekend. I discovered that one of my dear and oldest friends (from college and law school) passed away last May.  I’m still in shock.  We had not been in contact, it’s a long story, but never stopped caring. I had posted about her a couple of months ago here.  I was touched to see two photos of us celebrating law school graduation on her funeral tribute page!  You could see the joy on our faces. Oh, those were fun days.  Hold those that you care about close.  Life is short. People are precious.  I’m glad that she appeared to have good friends and family supporting her.  It apparently was cancer....omg, I hate cancer.  

I’m so sorry @SunnyBeBe.

• Love 4

So on the subject of names @Teriacky brought up some names. 

Hazel is back and rising. It was #31 in 2020.  

Evelyn is also popular. It was #9 (for girls) in 2020.

In other news, I broke a tooth today. I have an emergency dental appointment. It's not the worst thing in the world, but send me some good vibes.  I was hoping to avoid the dentist more this year. 

• Love 10
19 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Meanwhile here in the Midwest, we are going deaf from the sound of all the cicadas.

I'm so surprised we don't have cicadas yet. I vividly remember them in past years; does dryness affect them coming out?

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

I'm so surprised we don't have cicadas yet. I vividly remember them in past years; does dryness affect them coming out?

It depends on where you live as to when you'll see them. We don't have them in Chicagoland this year, but we will have them in 3 years. The areas affected by Brood X (2021) are the green areas on this map.

map-emergence-years-cicada-broods-United-States.jpg

Ps...NOT looking forward to them! 😜🤣

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Useful 9
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

They love it dry and sunny. When it rains, they go completely quiet. As soon as it stops, they immediately start up with the noise again!

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
(edited)

Well, the concert didn’t get rained out!  This was the last one in the festival. I’m about partied out.  It was Donna The Buffalo.  It was the first time I had seen them. My photos didn’t turn out very well, so, I’m posting this instead.  They have a cult following.   Here’s a video of them on you tube.  It was a great group of people. I think I might have been one of the youngest people there! 🤣It was a very fun night. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 10
(edited)

Oh my gosh, @SunnyBeBe, cajon/zydeco music is one of our FAVORITES to dance to. Both of our music festivals were cancelled last year and this year. 😢😩I am so happy that you got to go to yours, but also jealous, I confess. Donna the Buffalo sounds great!

Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 7

OMG I am in so much pain. I hurt my back gardening yesterday! I borrowed my friend's step son (17) to go with me to Lowes to buy things to get the front yard summer ready and worthy of my pretty lilies. He was a great help (best $50 I have spent in a long time, I would rather give the money to him than a delivery service).

I spent the entire morning after that gardening. I felt a little weird after I picked up a bag of soil and when I was done, but today, my bathing, dressing and picking up after Cosmo was COMICAL. Picture it, I spread my legs far apart, shimmied down, and SWIPED (I was successful).

I have taken 2 ibuprofen , and put an ice pack from my mom's food deliveries on my office chair. Thankfully just sitting isnt so bad, but any sort of bending, twisting, etc is a mess. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

OMG I am in so much pain. I hurt my back gardening yesterday! I borrowed my friend's step son (17) to go with me to Lowes to buy things to get the front yard summer ready and worthy of my pretty lilies. He was a great help (best $50 I have spent in a long time, I would rather give the money to him than a delivery service).

I spent the entire morning after that gardening. I felt a little weird after I picked up a bag of soil and when I was done, but today, my bathing, dressing and picking up after Cosmo was COMICAL. Picture it, I spread my legs far apart, shimmied down, and SWIPED (I was successful).

I have taken 2 ibuprofen , and put an ice pack from my mom's food deliveries on my office chair. Thankfully just sitting isnt so bad, but any sort of bending, twisting, etc is a mess. 

Oh no! Did you injure it or are you just incredibly sore? Stretching/yoga might feel good, but maybe that's dangerous if there's an injury

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Oh no! Did you injure it or are you just incredibly sore? Stretching/yoga might feel good, but maybe that's dangerous if there's an injury

I don't know. I don't normally have "pains", like I will get a headache but not "body pains". This is more than "sore", every day tasks feel impossible. Yesterday afternoon I felt a little sore/stiff, but I could still do things.

I am a very limber person (most fat people are), and I cannot touch my toes right now. (that has never happened to me before) I had to spread my legs far a part and shimmy down to reach Cosmo's leash in its bin (on the floor) or ice for my water.

I probably shouldn't have pushed myself gardening when I was feeling off, but I knew my sister was going to get up and I wanted to be DONE, as I didnt want to have to try to do any of that after work this week. I will know better next time.Back Pain GIF by memecandy

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don't know. I don't normally have "pains", like I will get a headache but not "body pains". This is more than "sore", every day tasks feel impossible. Yesterday afternoon I felt a little sore/stiff, but I could still do things.

I am a very limber person (most fat people are), and I cannot touch my toes right now. (that has never happened to me before) I had to spread my legs far a part and shimmy down to reach Cosmo's leash in its bin (on the floor) or ice for my water.

I probably shouldn't have pushed myself gardening when I was feeling off, but I knew my sister was going to get up and I wanted to be DONE, as I didnt want to have to try to do any of that after work this week. I will know better next time.Back Pain GIF by memecandy

This sounds like soreness from the workout rather than an injury, thank god! Stairs are probably hell right now, especially going downstairs, right? 😅 I went through this in the first week or two of every sports season in HS and every time my old lady self tries to take up running again.

If it's soreness from the workout you got gardening, then stretching and exercising will help a lot! Once you're warmed up/loosened up, the soreness will be gone... until you sit/sleep, that is. It'll wear off over the next couple days anyhow.

Muscle soreness from working out is safe, it's just the feeling of building muscle!

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, rue721 said:

This sounds like soreness from the workout rather than an injury, thank god! Stairs are probably hell right now, especially going downstairs, right? 😅 I went through this in the first week or two of every sports season in HS and every time my old lady self tries to take up running again.

If it's soreness from the workout you got gardening, then stretching and exercising will help a lot! Once you're warmed up/loosened up, the soreness will be gone... until you sit/sleep, that is. It'll wear off over the next couple days anyhow.

Muscle soreness from working out is safe, it's just the feeling of building muscle!

Stairs are not so bad, walking in a straight line is not so bad BUT getting up down, rolling over in bed, bending over to bathe my lower body in the shower, putting on my pants/undergarments, getting in and out of the chair, when Cosmo pulled me because he wanted to stiff a new friend (we met a new dog today, Bindi, who is friends with Mars who we know well), I felt the pain.

Sitting on my porch swing this morning helped, but I just had to trust gravity to get me down there! And then a Hail Mary to get me back up.

• Love 4

Stairs are not so bad, walking in a straight line is not so bad BUT getting up down, rolling over in bed, bending over to bathe my lower body in the shower, putting on my pants/undergarments, getting in and out of the chair, when Cosmo pulled me because he wanted to stiff a new friend (we met a new dog today, Bindi, who is friends with Mars who we know well), I felt the pain.

Sitting on my porch swing this morning helped, but I just had to trust gravity to get me down there! And then a Hail Mary to get me back up.

And putting on socks probably hurts, too, right? You might also try a heating pad. That is what helps me when I have tweaked my lower back. I actually have one that is USB powered that I can just plug into my laptop.

I'm sorry you're feeling pain. Back pain is the worst.

• Love 4

I had a couple of episodes that my back hurt like crazy.  I could barely lift my feet to get into my car.  My doctor knew exactly what I had and recommended some stretches. They helped tremendously.  It cleared up in a few days.  Man, was I relieved.  

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I had a couple of episodes that my back hurt like crazy.  I could barely lift my feet to get into my car.  My doctor knew exactly what I had and recommended some stretches. They helped tremendously.  It cleared up in a few days.  Man, was I relieved.  

I swear by water to keep me limber. Bathtub, Hot tub or pool. It all helps!

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

I wanted to see John Mulaney. People are selling tickets for $300 and I would have to buy 2. No way I’m spending $600. 

Not even sure how much tickets are originally from the actual venue. 

Some of my friends are going to see Dave Matthews in July, but I’m not going for several reasons.  One is that they have regular capacity and it will be very crowded.  They say now they will require masks, but they could change their minds and they can’t enforce it anyway. And, the assigned seats are close together AND very pricy!  Like over $300.  I’ve seen Dave Matthews before, so I’m not that eager, plus it’ll be TOO HOT.   🥵 Been there, done that before.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
45 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

And putting on socks probably hurts, too, right? You might also try a heating pad. That is what helps me when I have tweaked my lower back. I actually have one that is USB powered that I can just plug into my laptop.

I'm sorry you're feeling pain. Back pain is the worst.

No socks this time of year thank goodness. At least it’s summer which makes it easier to get dressed. 

Ive been doing ice. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

Call your doctor and get some muscle relaxants and possibly pain killers. Just enough for 2-3 days can make a huge   difference.

If I don’t feel better by tomorrow I will. 

3 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

@Scarlett45 - maybe call a chiropractor? They can manipulate things like nobody's business!

I have one- I texted him. 

today I couldn’t have made the drive anywhere, but I’ll likely go in this weekend. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I have chronic back pain, and I find epsom salt baths to be extremely helpful. You have to put in more than you’d think (two cups) but it’s cheap. Soak for 15-20 minutes and it’ll help your muscles relax.  It helps me sleep, too. Hope it feels better soon!  

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Kbo said:

I have chronic back pain, and I find epsom salt baths to be extremely helpful. You have to put in more than you’d think (two cups) but it’s cheap. Soak for 15-20 minutes and it’ll help your muscles relax.  It helps me sleep, too. Hope it feels better soon!  

I did get episom salts via instacart today, but I don’t trust myself to be able to get out of the bathtub yet, and my Mom would NOT be able to help me. 

Thank you for caring! I will let you know once I try. 

• Love 9

11 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Anyway I realize people aren't going to agree with me about this. I guess I'm gross too for eating old ice cream and frozen veggies and what not. To me as long as the food doesn't taste funky I'll take it.

I'm not a stickler for freezer time limits. We were a hunting family and the autumn before my husband died he, my 4 older children, and I all filled deer tags, plus he filled an elk tag. That meat lasted us 5 years. The sticker price for beef, and the lack of taste compared to game meat, was a major shock to my system.

• Love 8

Update on my poor self- I took Cosmo out around 7pm yesterday, and I FaceTimed with a friend. Given my injured state I didnt take him out again between 9pm-10pm, WELL he wasnt so happy about that, and at 11:51pm he was whimpering to go out (we did go). Then again at 1:01am he was whimpering again- I threw him out of the bedroom saying whatever happened, happened I needed to rest. 

This morning I woke up before my alarm, I am still a mess. I had a virtual appointment and a script was called in. When I opened my bedroom door I saw Cosmo out there laying down and looking sad. Turns out he did have an accident, which I was able to clean up by getting on my hands/knees and using the sofa to get up. I took him for a short walk, and it took a LOT out of me- we heard strange noises two doors away from the house and he wanted to bolt, poor baby and poor me. 

My pharmacy opens at 9am, I am going to see if I feel a little better and can navigate the store. If not I will send a friend (my Mom is on her way to work). I am pissed I dont have any yogurt, and I dont even want to order groceries because I dont want to put them away! This is a horrid experience. Sad Billy Porter GIF by Pose FX

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Update on my poor self- I took Cosmo out around 7pm yesterday, and I FaceTimed with a friend. Given my injured state I didnt take him out again between 9pm-10pm, WELL he wasnt so happy about that, and at 11:51pm he was whimpering to go out (we did go). Then again at 1:01am he was whimpering again- I threw him out of the bedroom saying whatever happened, happened I needed to rest. 

This morning I woke up before my alarm, I am still a mess. I had a virtual appoint and a script was called in. When I opened my bedroom door I saw Cosmo out there laying down and looking sad. Turns out he did have an accident, which I was able to clean up by getting on my hands/knees and using the sofa to get up. I took him for a short walk, and it took a LOT out of me- we heard strange noises two doors away from the house and he wanted to bolt, poor baby and poor me. 

My pharmacy opens at 9am, I am going to see if I feel a little better and can navigate the store. If not I will send a friend (my Mom is on her way to work). I am pissed I dont have any yogurt, and I dont even want to order groceries because I dont want to put them away! This is a horrid experience. Sad Billy Porter GIF by Pose FX

I’m so sorry that you have injured yourself and are experiencing all this pain and discomfort. I was going to chirp in about the Epsom salts. I hope your prescription works and you are on the mend again soon. Feel better soon. 

• Love 2
(edited)

@Scarlett45, I'm so sorry your back is still hurting so bad. Every activity, however small, feels insurmountable when you're feeling like that. I had a terrible backache a while back. I did get some muscle relaxants from my doc, which helped. A Physical Therapist friend recommended chair yoga and that really did help. For me, I believe I had pulled a muscle in my lower back. The exercise where you sit in a chair, put the left foot up across your right knee and lean just the slightest bit forward really helped. I could feel the tight muscle stretching in my back. Whatever you do, I think a couple of days of torture is behind you and you will probably start to feel better. When you are able to move again you will be so grateful! Just know that we are all rooting for you and wanting you to be feeling well again. Hugs!

Edited by BetyBee
  • Love 8

@scarlett45, wow!  I had to go back to re-read what you did to mess your back up and wow, is this a fluke injury or do you have a history of back trouble?  It doesn't seem like you did anything too extreme.

It kind of reminds me of a friend who threw her back out with 1 sneeze.  She has a history of back trauma, though.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

@scarlett45, wow!  I had to go back to re-read what you did to mess your back up and wow, is this a fluke injury or do you have a history of back trouble?  It doesn't seem like you did anything too extreme.

It kind of reminds me of a friend who threw her back out with 1 sneeze.  She has a history of back trauma, though.

No I have never had back problems before. I dont get "body pains"- can get pretty bad headaches/migraines sometimes, especially when Im stressed, but I have never had pain like this before- not even shoveling snow!

I did garden on Sunday, and although my friend's 17yrs old step son did most of the heavy lifting (4 bags of soil, 3 bags of mulch etc)- I did move things around and pour them. I felt a little sore when I started, but I didnt think much of it. I have been "post workout/gardening sore" before, and this AINT IT.

This is even more motivation for me to get more weight off, cause I cannot be going through things like this on a regular basis doing a little gardening!

My prescription is helping. For the first time in two days I went to the restroom and didnt wence. I dont feel "normal" by any means, but less like a helpless infant.

My sister's caregiver did come up to my house, take out my trash for me (cause I cant lift it), and walk Cosmo this afternoon. If I am not recovered by Friday afternoon, she said she would go with me to buy the 30lbs bag of his dog food. 

• Love 14
57 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

No I have never had back problems before. I dont get "body pains"- can get pretty bad headaches/migraines sometimes, especially when Im stressed, but I have never had pain like this before- not even shoveling snow!

I did garden on Sunday, and although my friend's 17yrs old step son did most of the heavy lifting (4 bags of soil, 3 bags of mulch etc)- I did move things around and pour them. I felt a little sore when I started, but I didnt think much of it. I have been "post workout/gardening sore" before, and this AINT IT.

This is even more motivation for me to get more weight off, cause I cannot be going through things like this on a regular basis doing a little gardening!

My prescription is helping. For the first time in two days I went to the restroom and didnt wence. I dont feel "normal" by any means, but less like a helpless infant.

My sister's caregiver did come up to my house, take out my trash for me (cause I cant lift it), and walk Cosmo this afternoon. If I am not recovered by Friday afternoon, she said she would go with me to buy the 30lbs bag of his dog food. 

I wish I could offer something helpful for your poor back, but for pet food, Chewy.com is a great place for delivery of pet food, toys and supplies.  It's a great company.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
22 minutes ago, Suzn said:

I wish I could offer something helpful for your poor back, but for pet food, Chewy.com is a great place for delivery of pet food, toys and supplies.  It's a great company.

I love Chewy, they are AMAZING! But I would still have to carry it up the stairs once it arrived, and for some reason they do not carry Fromm (which is what I feed both Blake and Cosmo), so I support a local place to buy that, and get everything else from Chewy.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

When I had a back injury, it literally came about because I was walking down the stairs holding an empty folder. I was in my 20s and in great shape. Luckily because it happened at work I was covered under workman’s comp (i didn’t have any other insurance coverage), and the doctor prescribed me Flexeril (muscle relaxant) and some pain killers. I worked 2 jobs and was very social at the time, and thought “no way I am going to stay home and rest for 2-3 days). Well, once I started taking the meds I was so mellow I had no problem staying home! I love Flexeril 🤣 but I only received enough for a few days. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 5

I love Chewy, they are AMAZING! But I would still have to carry it up the stairs once it arrived, and for some reason they do not carry Fromm (which is what I feed both Blake and Cosmo), so I support a local place to buy that, and get everything else from Chewy.

Oh, that's too bad.  I was hoping something could make it easier for you.  😀

• Love 3
(edited)

Each person has things that work for them.  Everyone is different.  Pain pills and muscle relaxers didn’t help me very much. It was not much different than taking nothing and not as helpful as Advil.

I will tell you a remedy that I have read about several places. I know it sounds crazy, but you can check it out.  They say that meds for depression will help reduce back pain.  I don’t know the chemistry of it, but I think it must be related to relaxing, which muscle relaxers should do, but apparently the connection with anti depressant is different.  I read this after my last back episode. ( Initially, I posted anti anxiety med, but I think it’s antidepressant so I changed it.)

Stretching normally works for me and I start with them if mine starts hurting.  One other thing that helped me last time I overused my back. (I stayed in one spot too long packing.) I mentioned it to my acupuncturist at my session for my eyes.  He firmly pressed on my back and legs for about 5 minutes in different places....not too hard...not trigger point therapy.....and when I got off the table I didn’t hurt. I drove home and that was it.  No more pain.  This therapist works at Duke Integrative Medicine and Chapel Hill, NC, though I don’t think you are near this area.  I consider him a healer.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8

This morning was hard, and I LOVE mornings, not being able to get up and "go" is emotionally difficult. I stood up to make myself eggs (my fav combo of eggs, avocado, cherry tomato and Chile lime seasoning from Trader Joes), and I regretted it. Cooking is hard, I am giving myself grace and doing delivery or just stuff from the fridge until I feel better. This morning's pill has finally started to kick in, so I am not tortured, but I am not a happy camper. 

I admit I am getting better, but not as fast as I care to. I never thought I would look forward to the day I can touch my toes again.

Truthfully I am not super hungry, but I did order donuts because I was sad (I froze some, gave some to my sister and left some for my Mom)- more motivation to get weight off. I will weigh in this week out of habit, but I dont expect to gain or lose anything.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

This morning was hard, and I LOVE mornings, not being able to get up and "go" is emotionally difficult. I stood up to make myself eggs (my fav combo of eggs, avocado, cherry tomato and Chile lime seasoning from Trader Joes), and I regretted it. Cooking is hard, I am giving myself grace and doing delivery or just stuff from the fridge until I feel better. This morning's pill has finally started to kick in, so I am not tortured, but I am not a happy camper. 

I admit I am getting better, but not as fast as I care to. I never thought I would look forward to the day I can touch my toes again.

I’m glad you’re feeling better, if not 100% again. One of the most frustrating things to me about getting older is that I can’t do physical things that I used to without suffering the following few days. After I garden I sound like my grandma - “my sciatic is acting up.”

I was feeling off yesterday and didn’t have an appetite at all. Woke up this morning and have been sick and nauseous ever since. Where in the world did I pick up a stomach bug?  Luckily it’s a light day of meetings and I WFH. I am going to dial in to my conference call from bed (it’s a seminar so I can get away without talking).  My cats approve of this plan.

• Love 6

Glad you are improving @Scarlett45, even though it's a maddeningly slow improvement.

Sorry you are feeling off, @MargeGunderson. I agree completely about how hard it is not to be able to do as much as I once could, now that I'm older. I learned in my last year or two of working, that hitting me with difficult stuff at 3 or 4 in the afternoon, was more flummoxing than it had ever been before.

I also worried towards the end of my career, that I was not able to hear the young 'uns at work as well and thought my hearing might be failing. Well, my husband and I had our hearing tested at Costco yesterday (thanks to those who suggested it here!). My hearing is well within normal limits. Sadly, Mr. BB did not fare as well. In fact he has an issue (which I don't understand completely) which resulted in a referral to an ENT. It may be related to a series of TIAs he suffered 7 years ago. Or it may not. If I had to guess, I'd say that the visit will clear him to go ahead and get at least one hearing aid, possibly two. One ear is in a really bad range. I hope we can find an ENT that takes his insurance. We live in the boonies, so specialists are not exactly nearby. But we'll find someone and then we'll know more. I actually think he does pretty well hearing-wise, considering how much range he has lost. Interestingly, in our living room and in the car, I sit to the side that has the poor hearing. I thought he had just developed "selective" hearing! 

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

So sorry @Scarlett45 that you are still hurting. I really hope you will have more improvement soon. Try not to be too hard on yourself for the donuts. Sometimes we have to do whatever we can to self soothe.

I am glad I live in an era where I can uber eats myself some donuts, and a freezer to freeze the rest (I had one yesterday, and one today).

• Love 9