Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

My daughter called and asked me to come up to her place. Her soon to be ex is being a jerk. He just ordered a book on “rough sex” on their Amazon account. (She’s taking her name and info off of it once her son’s birthday present comes). I told her she could go on mine, but just add her own card for payment. I told her not to have sex with him anymore. I’m afraid of STDs or his demeaning her. She said my niece already gave her that chat so I shut up. Anyway they all seemed depressed upon my arrival. The ex-SIL wants nothing to do with the 2 older kids and they feel it. Well I got out the cards and board games and began a play-a-thon. It didn’t take long to get them laughing and being kids again. I helped the eldest feed the menagerie (pigs, chickens, roosters, ducks, cats, dogs, and turtles) and put a roasting chicken in the oven. My daughter was so grateful and the kids really enjoyed the individual attention plus the game playing as a family. I’ll have to do it more often. My daughter was very grateful. 
The only drawback was that my cats (almost 18 now) went on a hunger strike. Over Covid they have become quite attached and codependent. At least they drank kitten milk and I was only gone 24 hours. I should do this more often for my daughter. It made me feel good too. 

@Scarlett45I’m glad that you are improving and it blows that we don’t bounce back as fast as we age. Glad you got out with Cosmo too as it helps to keep those sore muscles from tightening up. Wishing you continued positive progress. 
@MargeGundersonSorry to hear your belly went off. Hopefully you have some ginger ale and saltines in the house. I like bismuth chewable tablets as they always settle my stomach. At least you have purring nearby to help you feel better soon. Wishing you a quick recovery. 

• Love 21

hello friends, checking in to say that its been a week of fun with grandson here. spent the day at the beach yesterday witn my #3 son and his family and it was so wonderful watching the little cousins playing together. .  we leave tomorrow to begin a 4 day road trip to get him home and pickup two more. so my reading here will be sporadic.  hope all of you stay well and safe while i travel.  ttyl!

• Love 23
(edited)

Safe travels to all of you who are traveling.  I’ll be staying local to spend time with my dad this Father’s Day.   Most of the people who will be around are vaxed, but a few who aren’t.  It’s annoying to have to wear a mask in the house with my family because some of my younger family members won’t get vaxed.  It’s infuriating.  I don’t wear a mask around those who are vaxed in our homes. 

Will you take a look at this guy in the white t-shirt who is talking.....what do you make of it? He’s a Christian singer. 
https://www.facebook.com/JasonCrabbMusic

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4

This is completely random but I can’t really share this with anyone in real life so I’m sharing with my virtual friends. I answered a question on Refinery29.com about partners who have a wide income gap and how they handle it, and my answers made it into the article (under a pseudonym). I love the Money Diaries feature and the other finance stuff on the site because I am so interested in how other people manage money. One of these days I might just submit my own Money Diary but I’m more than a little afraid of getting roasted in the comments section. 

Does anyone else love money diaries, and have any others to recommend? I do sometimes read the ones on Reddit. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

It's been a rough week, $$wise. We learned that our dishwasher was leaking and ruined our brand new kitchen floor. So we had to get the flooring company back here and had to order a new dishwasher. The icemaker too, has been a problem all along, since it was poorly installed and it was nearly impossible to change the filter. We called a plumber and were planning to remove it entirely, but he installed a better valve and removed the dishwasher for us. He's coming back to install the new one when it comes. And he gave us quotes for some other work we want done. So the good news is that we found a reliable plumber. The bad news is that the flooring company is sending the original installer to do the repairs. He's very good and meticulous, but he never shuts the he** up! We were hoping to never see him again, lol. Anyway, these are the kinds of things that always happen to us and we are doing our very best to handle it like adults! 

The other good news is that it's a beautiful day. So nice to have the windows open rather than A/C, which I'm grateful for, but it's not my favorite. I like fresh air!

• Love 12

I went to the chiropractor Thursday after work, and I will likely going back next week. I am slowly getting better but things are rough. I didn’t take any pain medicine last night, and this morning I could turn over when I first woke up without issue; but after taking Cosmo out for three blocks I’m hurting so I’m holding off on breakfast (I ate a banana with the pill). 

Bed is comfortable. I am taking it easy today. 

• Love 17

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend. I finally got to see my out of town son, DIL, and two teenage grandkids after a year and a half of only Skype calls. It was wonderful….even got to hug them. We are all fully faxed. 

• Love 18
(edited)

Happy Fathers Day to all those who are parenting in that role.  We had a nice lunch at my parent’s house and I’m so glad that my father is doing well. He’s 84, so each year is a blessing.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 13

I'm going to fail at Good News Sunday yet again. Phone rang at 7:13 this morning and it was my sister. You may recall that we moved Dad to a skilled nursing facility  from his memory care facility on June 4th. This morning, he died in his sleep. My sister and I had just had a Zoom call with his memory care facility to review the contents of his apartment on Friday and the wonderful social worker from there had taken him some things, including a couple of sweaters and a coat for when it gets colder. For some reason, the fact that he will not need his coat seems impossibly sad to me.

Spent this morning calling many relatives and friends. I emailed my best friend first thing and she responded, "I'll be there at 11:30" and she showed up with boxes of pastries and desserts and had placed an Amazon Fresh order for bags of snacks for the afternoon, I think I'll keep her. We spent the afternoon on a Zoom call with her and another friend, also a keeper.

Tomorrow I write his obituary, teleconference with the funeral home, and call the attorney we used to codify his wishes to see if they can settle the estate.

20 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I'm going to fail at Good News Sunday yet again. Phone rang at 7:13 this morning and it was my sister. You may recall that we moved Dad to a skilled nursing facility  from his memory care facility on June 4th. This morning, he died in his sleep. My sister and I had just had a Zoom call with his memory care facility to review the contents of his apartment on Friday and the wonderful social worker from there had taken him some things, including a couple of sweaters and a coat for when it gets colder. For some reason, the fact that he will not need his coat seems impossibly sad to me.

Spent this morning calling many relatives and friends. I emailed my best friend first thing and she responded, "I'll be there at 11:30" and she showed up with boxes of pastries and desserts and had placed an Amazon Fresh order for bags of snacks for the afternoon, I think I'll keep her. We spent the afternoon on a Zoom call with her and another friend, also a keeper.

Tomorrow I write his obituary, teleconference with the funeral home, and call the attorney we used to codify his wishes to see if they can settle the estate.

I’m so sorry. My dad died in a nursing home right before Covid hit. Taking care of all that needs to be done isn’t easy.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I’m so sorry you lost your father @jcbrown. Sending you all the comfort and love. 

I know what you mean about the coat. My god mother received birthday presents she never got to use (she declined sharply about a week after her birthday). I was looking for my summer robe and realized I gave it to her when she was in the hospital. 

Give yourself all the grace in the world. I know keeping busy helps me. 

• Love 10

JCBrown, please accept my condolences upon the loss of your father.  I know this must be very painful for you. I am glad to see how you have family and friends supporting you.  That is so important.  Take care of yourself.   

• Love 8

@jcbrown, my condolences. 

so, i am sitting here in an intentionally FREEZING hotel room, in the greater dallas metro area on a HOT, HUMID day.  after a 4 day drive at a casual pace, i arrived last night.  so happy to see the kids.  dinner out tonight and a early bedtime for me!! i plan to stay for 3 days then head south to visit friends before heading home with two more grands in tow. 

• Love 15

Friends of mine are in Cancun living it up at an all inclusive resort, all inclusive resorts are never a value for me (I'm a vegetarian that doesnt drink) but I did see that Monograms and Globus are waiving their single supplement for European/N. African Tours in Spring 2022- is this a sign I should go to Morocco? MAYBE? I want to go somewhere so badly!

• Love 16
51 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Friends of mine are in Cancun living it up at an all inclusive resort, all inclusive resorts are never a value for me (I'm a vegetarian that doesnt drink) but I did see that Monograms and Globus are waiving their single supplement for European/N. African Tours in Spring 2022- is this a sign I should go to Morocco? MAYBE? I want to go somewhere so badly!

Among many of the lessons I’ve learned over the last year is not to put off things that you want to do. I say go for it!

• Love 11

I am getting Project Yank the Uterus back on track in our new home. Went yesterday for an ultrasound to see how much the fibroids have grown since last summer. Doctor has mentioned wanting me to take a series of shots to try and shrink the "pregnancy", to make surgery and recovery easier for me. Looks like we're looking at maybe late September, which will leave me available to help with my grands when their baby sister arrives in a couple months.

• Love 16
6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’ve always wanted to go to Morocco, but have never been able to afford it. Go if you can!

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This is the craziest story.  Woman wears same shirt to meeting and no one notices!  I’m pretty sure that I would.  At least I hope that I would.  

Reminds me of this story:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tv-anchor-same-suit-sexism_n_6170900#:~:text=Australian newscaster Karl Stefanovic wore the same suit,viewers regularly offered his female co-presenter%2C Lisa Wilkinson.

This male newscaster wore the same suit on the air every day for a year mainly because he felt it was unfair that his female colleagues got so many viewer comments and criticisms on their on-air clothing while no one ever complained about what the men wore.  As predicted, not a single viewer contacted the station to comment on the fact that he wore the same outfit every day.

I kinda wonder if the woman in the above post just had really polite coworkers?  Or, maybe like the rest of us, they didn't pay attention to what anyone else is doing onscreen because they were too busy checking their phones and playing with the dog.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2