Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

(edited)

Thanks to everyone for your advice and encouragement.  I talked to Mom and as much as she would love an earlier in the day appointment, she knows for me it needs to be in the afternoon.  Maybe if she gets to where she can drive again, then she make a morning appointment.  She tries to act like she understands what I am going through but she had 3 siblings that helped with their parents when my grandparents were aging.  Also, she had my dad able to help out at home and a job that was more understanding of her needing to take time off.  But here's hoping that things will work out for both of us. 

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 15
(edited)
1 hour ago, Quof said:

I had flareups of plantar fasciitis every time I walked for long distances, such as on urban vacations, for years.  Active Release Technique cured it, seemingly permanently.   https://activerelease.com/

I try to keep an open mind. I believe in anything that works.  My acupuncturist did wonders on my body, including, eyes, back, foot.....some with needles and some with touch.  It made me believe in ancient medicine. AND my Vionic shoes.  They are designed for people with foot issues like plantar fasciitis, which I developed years ago.  Vionic is awesome.  I’ve never seen a bad review.  

Lisa, that’s great news about your mother. I hope things will be better.  

Well, NC doesn’t have a law prohibiting exotic pets.....now Raleigh has a venomous African Cobra on the loose!  Warnings are out to be careful.  The owner has a house full of dangerous snakes.  😱🐍  Last month another resident was bitten by a green mamba!   

https://www.wral.com/deadly-venomous-cobra-loose-in-raleigh-neighborhood/19748492/

Apparently this is someone who lives with the snakes in the residence according to the article.  😔🙄

https://www.tiktok.com/@the_giff?lang=en&is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I try to keep an open mind. I believe in anything that works.  My acupuncturist did wonders on my body, including, eyes, back, foot.....some with needles and some with touch.  It made me believe in ancient medicine. AND my Vionic shoes.  They are designed for people with foot issues like plantar fasciitis, which I developed years ago.  Vionic is awesome.  I’ve never seen a bad review.  

Lisa, that’s great news about your mother. I hope things will be better.  

Well, NC doesn’t have a law prohibiting exotic pets.....now Raleigh has a venomous African Cobra on the loose!  Warnings are out to be careful.  The owner has a house full of dangerous snakes.  😱🐍  Last month another resident was bitten by a green mamba!   

https://www.wral.com/deadly-venomous-cobra-loose-in-raleigh-neighborhood/19748492/

I had bunion surgery when I was 37. I have orthotics for my shoes that are not Vionic. They are definitely worth the price. I inherited bad teeth and feet from my maternal side. (All the talk about a Rod kid not having her two front teeth--I went 18 months before mine came in. My mom even asked the dentist. But my teeth are awful. Palate expander and braces and they're still not great) I've been debating whether to get a pair of sandals but I can't justify it because I don't like having my feet exposed.

I would be so worried about that snake because my dogs love to sniff things and I wouldn't be able to see it before I let them out. One of our dogs loves to really get into the long grass on the walk and I would not be able to see a snake. So scary.

• Love 4

did doodle bug ever get back here?  i am trying to catch up with everyone and i miss her. i got home from a roadtrip on sunday evening. was EXHAUSTED!  monday went to the Orthopedic doctor and he say says continue cortisone shots til they quit working, then shoulder replacement. works for me!

have two grands here with me for a week so today was indoor glo mini golf and red robin lunch (their fave). then froyo for dessert. tonight we celebrate the granddaughter's birthday. tomorrow its a tour of a military museum - one kid has a crazy knowledge and curiosity about that stuff. friday is looking like a beach day, sunday is fireworks somewhere. gotta fit in a visit with uncle, church on sunday and nail shop. then....we get back in the car on monday to head to NM to trade grandkids. 

did i say i was exhausted?

• Love 10

@Liddy52, my foot is doing so much better today. I didn't use a rolling pin, but I'm using my foam roller regularly and it is helping greatly! I also have a stretch band that I've been using to stretch the foot and I've been wearing my orthofeet shoes around the house. They make me look a bit like Minnie Mouse, so I haven't worn them in public! I think I'll spring for new orthofeet gym shoes though. I skipped my daily walk yesterday to give my foot a break. I do urban-style walking around my neighborhood, @Quof. Active Release sounds interesting, but I think I'll try home remedies first. I am going to go for a walk today. Fingers crossed that I continue to improve. This thread is a font of information, for which I'm grateful!

Lots of discussion around the canceling of Counting On today. Very interesting!

• Love 8

Yeah, ART was weird - like when Ross massaged Phoebe's old man client with salad tongs and a Tonka truck - but after years of pain, I'm a firm believer.  

• Love 1

BettyBee, glad you’re better.  Rest sometimes is the best thing for that kind of foot pain.  I wore a brace at night previously, but it never helped me much.  

I’m a great aunt again!  Another girl, 7 pounds and healthy.  She and mom are coming home from the hospital today. The baby’s mom’s sister just had her first daughter about 2 months ago, so they will grow up close I hope. Two precious little girls.....so blessed.   

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m a great aunt again!  Another girl, 7 pounds and healthy.  She and mom are coming home from the hospital today. The baby’s mom’s sister just had her first daughter about 2 months ago, so they will grow up close I hope. Two precious little girls.....so blessed.   

Aww @SunnyBeBe I could cry. When I was a little girl I thought Flora, Fauna and Merriweather were Princess Aurora's great aunts. There is nothing more precious. I know they will love you just as much as I have loved mine.

• Love 7
On 6/24/2021 at 7:39 AM, Rootbeer said:

If you want to go to places that are popular like the Vatican or various Greek ruins; being on a tour can save a lot of time as you will get transport right to the venue, your tickets are already purchased and you often get to skip the lines of those waiting to get in.  Saves literally hours.  Went to the Vatican on a tour, we were able to walk in within 10 minutes of arriving while those waiting to go in individually were standing in 90 degree heat for an hour and a half.  Yes, you can be stuck with a guide who doesn't cover the stuff you want to see and sometimes can feel rushed, but, at least you get a feel for the place and can decide if you want to return during free time to pick up on things you want to see in more depth.

In the past I've pre-purchased tickets and then just dumped the group once we've got in.

On 6/24/2021 at 6:40 PM, CalicoKitty said:

IMG_0604.jpg.555de63c5fb09f2e8cc89f0718626ac8.jpgMy cat blanket started early tonight.  Lily, the black-and-white cat on the bottom, was sleeping on my lap when Flora, the silver-and-white cat, came and sat right on top of her to take a nap.  Flora outweighs Lily by at least 4 pounds, but she always seems to be on the top of the pile.  Meanwhile, Lily just kept on sleeping (she really isn't too bright!). 20 minutes so far, and no one is moving.  I'm trapped under my cats.

Sorry, but I'm with Lily.  I love weight on me when I'm sleeping!

On 6/29/2021 at 8:24 AM, Scarlett45 said:

@Lisa418722 would your mother be willing/able to hire someone to act as a personal assistant to her to drive her to appointments and handle things you are no longer able to do if/when you transition to this new job? It seems as if she isnt sick/in need of daily care, but needs a chauffeur/muscle, someone to drive and carry the items, shopping etc. 

If its an expense either one of you can afford it would be well worth it- I am a FIRM believer in outsourcing to keep your sanity, and you need a break too!

Can you hire someone/a service and just have them arrive without having forewarned her?  It sounds harsh, but she's manipulating you.  Don't answer the phone if she calls and then she can make her choice.

• Love 1

Looking for some prayers and good thoughts here, please.

My child just "went public" on Facebook about some very personal choices they have made.  I don't question their choices or their way of life, in fact I would hope that the way their father and I raised them encouraged a non-judgemental perspective.  I am just so hurt about the way they have slammed us and their upbringing/childhood as though we raised them in some hideous Duggar type environment.  We were sometimes made fun of by friends because we were so "liberal" in our parenting.

I'm heartbroken.

Well last night I got to tell my mom that I fucking told you so. After we watched the Easter episode I told her that this was the final episode of the show. She asked me why I said that and I said because TLC started the show it was about religion and this episode was all about religion. I told her that if I am right she owes me a fancy restaurant meal. 

• LOL 7
14 minutes ago, Leeds said:

My child just "went public" on Facebook about some very personal choices they have made.  I don't question their choices or their way of life, in fact I would hope that the way their father and I raised them encouraged a non-judgemental perspective.  I am just so hurt about the way they have slammed us and their upbringing/childhood as though we raised them in some hideous Duggar type environment.  We were sometimes made fun of by friends because we were so "liberal" in our parenting.

I'm heartbroken.

@Leeds, I'm so sorry! That has to hurt and it doesn't sound fair at all. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Leeds said:

I'm heartbroken.

I am sorry you are hurt @Leeds. I hope that your child was just focused on their own experiences and didnt intend to be passive aggressive with you. Sometimes us kids dont mean to be critical, but we come off that way, even though we know our parents did the best they could by us. 

Would you be able to talk to your child in a day or two about how you felt about their post?

• Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I am sorry you are hurt @Leeds. I hope that your child was just focused on their own experiences and didnt intend to be passive aggressive with you. Sometimes us kids dont mean to be critical, but we come off that way, even though we know our parents did the best they could by us. 

Would you be able to talk to your child in a day or two about how you felt about their post?

Thank you Scarlett45 for your compassion.  It's going to take more than a day or two, but until I feel I can make some kind of move, I am so grateful to know I can take strength from the support of friends and family, real and virtual.

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 11
6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

BettyBee, glad you’re better.  Rest sometimes is the best thing for that kind of foot pain.  I wore a brace at night previously, but it never helped me much.  

Congratulations!

• Love 7
11 hours ago, BetyBee said:

@Liddy52, my foot is doing so much better today. I didn't use a rolling pin, but I'm using my foam roller regularly and it is helping greatly! I also have a stretch band that I've been using to stretch the foot and I've been wearing my orthofeet shoes around the house. They make me look a bit like Minnie Mouse, so I haven't worn them in public! I think I'll spring for new orthofeet gym shoes though. I skipped my daily walk yesterday to give my foot a break. I do urban-style walking around my neighborhood, @Quof. Active Release sounds interesting, but I think I'll try home remedies first. I am going to go for a walk today. Fingers crossed that I continue to improve. This thread is a font of information, for which I'm grateful!

Lots of discussion around the canceling of Counting On today. Very interesting!

@BetyBee, glad your foot is better. Plantar fasciitis can really be painful! I have looked at orthofeet shoes several times online but I am nervous about ordering online. I have a hard time finding shoes that fit right, and I am not a consistent size, even in the same brand like Skechers.  Might take a chance one of these days. 

• Love 6

@Leeds sorry about your child and Facebook, sometimes people are only thinking of themselves and don’t realize how hurtful social media can be. Sending you virtual hugs, this forum can be a comfort even though we really don’t know each other.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Quoting myself to show you the picture I took today...because after today 7 of them won't be in Illinois anymore.😭

(3 are moving back to New Mexico while their live-on boat is repaired. The other 4 are going to live in Florida, because my Marine son got transferred there from Germany) I'm going to miss them so much..but no lie...I am severely worn out!😂

rps20210630_233557.jpg

Ps 23 yo (step) grandson not pictured..he had to work.

Beautiful.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Quoting myself to show you the picture I took today...because after today 7 of them won't be in Illinois anymore.😭

(3 are moving back to New Mexico while their live-on boat is repaired. The other 4 are going to live in Florida, because my Marine son got transferred there from Germany) I'm going to miss them so much..but no lie...I am severely worn out!😂

rps20210630_233557.jpg

That’s a fine looking group of grandchildren! I bet you are exhausted.  You are very fortunate...so are they!🙂

• Love 10
(edited)

What a beautiful family you have, @ChiCricket. I’m now ashamed of myself for feeling exhausted after just two grandkids visited us.

@Leeds, so sorry your daughter hurt you that way. I really hope you will be reconciled soon.

Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

rps20210630_233557.jpg

What a great looking group. 

• Love 6

@ChiCricket How lucky you were to have all of them in one place for a visit. Especially during these pandemic times. I can understand why you might be exhausted. That’s a lot of good looking young people to connect with. I’m tickled pink for you. Get some rest. 
@Leeds I understand your hurt. My grandson once asked me why his Mom said that I was a crappy parent. I explained my situation (nursing school full time, plus a full time job) and just told him that I did the best I could. There are very few women I know who think their mothers are Saints. I hope you overcome the hurt and can move on. 

• Love 7
15 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

rps20210630_233557.jpg

What a beautiful group of grands!  You must be so proud @ChiCricket!!!

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

How lovely your grandchildren could come @ChiCricket! Even with the awful rain and thunderstorms Chicagoland has been having the last two weeks, I know they brought sunshine to your day.

And my tomato plants and flowers are so happy! 😊

• Love 9
34 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Bringing the local trivia from the Josh topic - the quote is about the federal prison here [Denver metro area] where Josh could meet another inmate celeb, Jared Fogle. Anyway, the prison isn't in the City of Englewood - it's not even in the same county as Englewood. And its mailing address is "Littleton" - although not only is it not in Littleton either, it's not even in the same county as Littleton.

I suppose this happens in other places too. The US Postal Service did something odd - and confusing - around here. It assigned "Englewood, CO" as the mailing address for a huge area stretching far beyond (and not necessarily adjacent to) the small city itself. From the Wikipedia article about Englewood: 

The place name "Englewood" is assigned to four ZIP codes . . . which covers areas adjacent to the city on the west and east, and an area southeast of the city that is much larger than the city itself. . . .. This area includes part of the Denver Tech Center and the surrounding commercial development along the I-25 corridor, which is often erroneously attributed to Englewood; the city actually lies several miles west.

The Postal Service has also done that thing with the mailing address of the small old town of Littleton, CO. - only worse. It has eleven zip codes covering territory far larger than Littleton itself. Columbine High School is *not* located in Littleton. It's in a different county and not even close to Littleton - but it has that mailing address. Now you know more than the reporters and TV anchors who reported that tragic story seemed to. 

@ChiCricket - so happy for you and your grandkids getting to visit. What a cool group!

@Scarlett45 - have fun when you get back to in person socializing.

When I'm not going off on odd rants about local zip codes  🤨 (my era of being a cranky old lady is closer than I thought), I'm busy with my responsibilities as executor of my late friend's estate. I'm lucky to have had great support and cooperation from my friend's relatives (and beneficiaries under her will), and we've made great progress. Got the condo cleared out and it's being fixed up to be listed for sale. I'm also very pleased with the Realtor I've signed the listing agreement with. But, I'm tired. I think the pace of activities is slowing down, and I will welcome that. People - including some of you nice folks here in the Prayer Closet - who've handled estates have told me there's a lot to do - and now I see what they/you were talking about. Wow. 

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

@Jeeves, I googled "prison in Englewood CO." That's how I got the Wikipedia page. 😀

Yep. It's officially named "Englewood" but is not located there. One of these days I'll see if I can find out why it got the name. I sometimes attribute oddball things like that to people's brains being affected by the altitude here. 🤣

• LOL 4

Since we are talking about how crazy Colorado is the first house that I lived in half the house was in Arapahoe County and the other half was in Jefferson County. But the funniest thing that my kids say to other people when they brag about how they are native to Colorado my kids also say that they are 14th generation Colorado natives and beat that. In fact their grandparents founded a town and 95% of the streets have the family name.

• Love 10
(edited)

I lucked up yesterday and found my mother a top to wear with her white skirt on July 4th. She has been hinting that she wanted one.   The photo doesn’t do it justice. It’s a great fabric and fuller than it appears.  I also paid more than the online price....oh well.  Lesson learned.  She’s going to accessorize with a flag colored scarf.  

https://www.belk.com/p/crown-ivy-womens-roll-sleeve-sweatshirt-/0480016866201.html?feed=shopping&cm_mmc=LIA-GOOGLE-Evergreen_Women_NewCustomer_SHOP_NA-WOMEN_NONE_EVGNLIA-0480016866201&s_kwcid=AL!5203!3!498647611882!!!g!1186167062566!!92700061575897481&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8vqGBhC_ARIsADMSd1DgbzxhMHUdNS3UpPxG1xoMTcTvw-zQegp4KzbfiB130zbSy7-9QmwaAmYNEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 12

That’s a nice top Sunny. I have a few garments by Crown and Ivy. All of them have nice fabric and are so wearable. I’m sure your Mom will look good in it.  Happy 4th 💥🇺🇸💥

• Love 5

Thanks MIndthinkr.  My mom is a real holiday person. Every holiday, my mom celebrates in fine form with decorations, outfits, food, gatherings, etc. Covid squashed some of that, but she’s regaining her enthusiasm.  

I hope all of you have a good Independence Day celebration.  I’m planning on a long weekend with a couple of gatherings for cookouts. No firework plans, though.  I’m going to work on exercising too.  
🇺🇸🎇🤩🦅🌭

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

That’s a nice top Sunny. I have a few garments by Crown and Ivy. All of them have nice fabric and are so wearable. I’m sure your Mom will look good in it.  Happy 4th 💥🇺🇸💥

Crown and Ivy- is that similar to Citrus and Lemon?  Or Chicken and Poultry?

• LOL 9

The last few days have been hard for my Giant Blond Baby Man also known as Cosmo. So many “BOOMS”. I gave him some calming treats from chewy and he’s been staying right by my side. 

He went out this evening but was too scared to pee! A couple of times he’s been holding it between the afternoon and the next morning! Poor guy is TERRIFIED. 

This afternoon though, a little boy said “it’s the polar bear dog!” I guess he kinda does look like a polar bear. 

• Love 10

Poor doggie.  Having been down that road things to try are a Thunder Shirt.  They work very well for some dogs giving them similar security to being held.  If it's really bad getting some tranquilizers from the vet while sounding drastic, is really humane.  

Having had cats and dogs terrified by the noise of fire works, I wouldn't mind a country wide ban.  

• Love 11
Just now, Absolom said:

Poor doggie.  Having been down that road things to try are a Thunder Shirt.  They work very well for some dogs giving them similar security to being held.  If it's really bad getting some tranquilizers from the vet while sounding drastic, is really humane.  

Having had cats and dogs terrified by the noise of fire works, I wouldn't mind a country wide ban.  

They’re illegal in many places, but the laws don’t seem to be enforced. I’m not sure why people feel it’s necessary to set off fireworks several days before and after the 4th. It traumatizes pets and some people, too.

• Love 11

I'm sick to death of fireworks already this year, and it's only 7/3! We don't have a dog anymore to suffer through the selfishness of people illegally setting them off and our cat doesn't care, but I am sick of the constant BOOMs! I read about a town in my state choosing to set off the official fireworks on a nature path, disturbing a nearby rookery. I'm sick of the whole damn thing! Birds and wild animals are terrified and injured by fireworks every year.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, BetyBee said:

I'm sick to death of fireworks already this year, and it's only 7/3! We don't have a dog anymore to suffer through the selfishness of people illegally setting them off and our cat doesn't care, but I am sick of the constant BOOMs! I read about a town in my state choosing to set off the official fireworks on a nature path, disturbing a nearby rookery. I'm sick of the whole damn thing! Birds and wild animals are terrified and injured by fireworks every year.

I read that birds can actually be “scared to death” by fireworks. 😔 

I don’t want any fireworks in my neighborhood.  Sometimes, I hear target shooting or hunting and that really bothers me. I realize people need to hunt to eat, but it scares me near houses.  

Yesterday, early evening I saw two wild rabbits in my backyard AND a DEER!   Last Friday, I saw it running on my property line. This Friday he stopped and came closer.  I’m afraid he’s going to get hurt being so comfortable.  I was texting with my neighbor.  He went to her place next.  I hope to get some good photos. 

• Love 6
22 hours ago, Absolom said:

There is a country wide ban on fireworks here, but that doesn't stop the super loud explosions from happening.  It starts early in June and is all the time.  People get them down the road at the Indian Reservation.

I've had my dog for three years, since she was three, and she is never bothered at all by the noise. I'm surprised because when we first got her, she barked herself silly at the garbage truck, which is noisy.

• Love 6

We have a few cute little brown bunnies that hop around the courtyard in our apartment complex.  One evening, I saw a toddler girl (maybe she was 2 or a bit older) trying to take a picture of one of the bunnies with her granddad’s phone.  It was very cute🐰.

The only time I’ve seen “wild” deer is at the veteran’s cemetery in eastern Long Island (Calverton), where the cemetery property abuts a largely rural area.  The local florists offer to spray any fresh flowers you buy with an anti deer spray to keep them from being the deer’s snack.

It is nice to see them frolicking around.  The original picture was too large to attach, so I cut it down so you could see the deer.  This is near the part of the cemetery that is not used right now.3614A382-923E-49FD-B84D-898C3F300B72.thumb.jpeg.db3756aa4e4db529b311995a5e5c0398.jpeg

• Love 7