Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

(edited)

Okay, I have to share this. I put it in the Jinger discussion but decided it was probably too OT so moved it here.

The other night I was watching Hannah Gadsby: Nanette on Netflix. It's a stand-up show which is comedic - but so witty and thought-provoking that I'll probably watch it again. 

About twenty minutes into it, Gadsby says, there’s  “too much hysteria around gender - from you gender-normals.. . . . You need to . . . calm down, gender-normals. Get a grip.” Then she parodies someone saying, “A man in a dress – that’s f-ing weird!”  And follows with: “No, it’s not. You know what’s weird? Pink headbands on bald babies.” She went on to say, she understands why parents would do that, from being tired of people mistaking their lovely baby girls for boys. But: "I don't assume bald babies are boys. I assume they're angry feminists and I treat them with respect."

I was dying. And when I quit laughing I thought of Felicity's pink and other colored headband/rosettes. 

Edited by Jeeves
grammar and stuff
  • LOL 21
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Aja said:

Hi Small Talk thread! I've been away so long, and I missed you guys! Just wanted to drop in and say that! Guess who *still* gets e-mail notifications from North Love Baptist Church when their services go live? *this gal*

@Aja!! 😍 Good to see you again!!

• Love 7

The guy who is doing our weatherization audit showed up Tuesday morning. I thought I had the wrong date. He said he wanted to get out of his office since he has not been able to do any audits for the last three weeks.  Ha! He is nice with a good sense of humor. Crossing fingers the weather forecasters are right about next Tuesday’s weather.

And here is an idea for people with migraine and other nasty headaches problems. Have you thought of using an eye mask and/or eyelid cleaner. I use the cleaner before I go to bed. The mask can help with headache and eye pain. I use mine whenever my sinuses and allergies act up because I can be on the way to an eye infection. The mask can help relax you, and it can feel like you are taking a ten minute nap. The eyelid cleaner can help get rid of the pollen and other lovely things that can bother your eyes and vision which can lead to headaches and possible migraines.

(edited)

Thanks for all the neck exercise ideas, guys!!! I think that will really help me. My biggest problem is my neck; it's slanted too far forward, and I go to the chiropractor twice a month to keep it aligned. If I can get to the chiropractor when one is starting (which rarely happens), he can stop it in its tracks! So I definitely think neck exercises would help. It does matter what I eat, what's happening with my hormones, and what the weather's like, but my neck is the main problem. What are some of the other PTV migraineurs' triggers? My big ones, from most severe on down, are:

1. Neck trauma

2. MSG

3. Weather changes or storms

4. Being dehydrated or overheated

5. Schedule changes 

6. Stress or lack of sleep 

7. Time of the month 

So basically, if I went to Jill's house and ate canned soup at 10 pm, while holding my head in an unnatural position to see her tiny laptop screen, while I was on my period, during a thunderstorm, after an arkansas summer run with gaggy Derick, while Sammy slipped me his stressed-out diary entries, i would basically be toast, lol!

Edited by Christina87
  • LOL 7
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Thanks for all the neck exercise ideas, guys!!! I think that will really help me. My biggest problem is my neck; it's slanted too far forward, and I go to the chiropractor twice a month to keep it aligned. If I can get to the chiropractor when one is starting (which rarely happens), he can stop it in its tracks! So I definitely think neck exercises would help. It does matter what I eat, what's happening with my hormones, and what the weather's like, but my neck is the main problem. What are some of the other PTV migraineurs' triggers? My big ones, from most severe on down, are:

1. Neck trauma

2. MSG

5. Schedule changes 

7. Time of the month 

So basically, if I went to Jill's house and ate canned soup at 10 pm, while holding my head in an unnatural position to see her tiny laptop screen, while I was on my period, during a thunderstorm, after an arkansas summer run with gaggy Derick, while Sammy slipped me his stressed-out diary entries, i would basically be toast, lol!

Good that you have identified triggers.  Mr. lookeyloo's are 99% food sensitivities, particularly cow dairy.  Different for everyone.

• Love 3
Just now, lookeyloo said:

Good that you have identified triggers.  Mr. lookeyloo's are 99% food sensitivities, particularly cow dairy.  Different for everyone.

Oh geez. I'm glad that's not one of mine! I'm a cheese addict. 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Oh geez. I'm glad that's not one of mine! I'm a cheese addict. 

He had to give up a lot of his favorites, but worth it not to suffer.  And goat and sheep cheese are plentiful.  I found some buffalo ricotta which we don't see often and goat mozzarella which we do, and I'm going to make him lasagna.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Christina87 said:

1. Neck trauma

2. MSG

5. Schedule changes 

7. Time of the month 

Mine are weather changes, especially incoming snow storms, artificial sweeteners, MSG, scent and neck issues.  I look forward to winter to get a break from the allergies but my head is not a fan. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Hey, did the old front page of this site disappear? Is all the editorial gone completely?

I poked around after you asked this. It's odd that I don't see any link to it from the Forums page but I was able to get to the front page with the previously.tv URL. It's still 90% Beverly Hills 90210, though, so back here I came (I did watch that show, but I am mystified as to why a show nearly 30 years old so dominates the editorial content here).

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I poked around after you asked this. It's odd that I don't see any link to it from the Forums page but I was able to get to the front page with the previously.tv URL. It's still 90% Beverly Hills 90210, though, so back here I came (I did watch that show, but I am mystified as to why a show nearly 30 years old so dominates the editorial content here).

Thanks. This has been confusing me!

• Love 2

Welcome back Aja! To Christina 87, migraines are the worst.  I started having them when I was twenty and that was 40 years ago. I hope you can get them under control. I know it's impossible sometimes.                                To those of you who have read what seem like books from me a about my niece, I'll make it short for once. He daughter has had episodes of cutting herself. The niece has moved on to calling them suicide attempts. At first I was allowed to see her at these times, then the niece decided to keep her from me. I suspect that she is making some if it up because my great niece called me a few times with the phone her mother thought was hidden from her and told me she did not attempt suicide and was not in the hospital. I suspect her mother found out a out this. They went to a soccer tournament on my dime and the p lo thi g I heard about eS that the room was bad and I should call the credit card company. When I did later in the week so the charges would settle I found over 500.00 in charges for food and entertainment. The niece refused to answer her phone but claimed five days later to be putting the great niece in the hospital for another attempt. I don't know if this is true because she lies so much. When I asked to talk to my great niece she said the doctors would t let me talk to her because she is upset about me saying the niece should kill herself. She ckians I said that to someone at Verizon when she stayed on the phone after a conference call trying to fix her phone that I paid for. I asked the rep to call me so we could take care of the problem without her interjecting all the time. Anyway, the rep asked how I put up with her and she claims I said she should kill herself. The girl is a pathological liar who projects get her actions into others. I don't know if my great niece is in the hospital or if this is another ruse to get out of trouble a out the credit card.                                               I don't know if I should be worried about the great niece or mad at the niece. I just found out I had a TIA a few weeks ago when I blacked out so this is stress I don't need if she is lying

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

My only migraine trigger is when I have been stressed and my stress level drops, that is when I get a migraine. So the week after exams, second day of vacation, etc, are all prime migraine time.

That’s so unfair. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Update! MIL has been released from Skilled Nursing back to her apartment. I visited her this morning at SN, and all she did was scream at me about Trump and Hillary. Back at her apartment, she was a totally different person. 

I was at hubby's ECT appointment at the time in the waiting room. He still has four treatments to go, but the change in his demeanor is remarkable. I've had to take MWF off from work, so I can now see how he used to sleep in until noon (he works swing shift). He was up around 10 this morning. I have no clue when he goes to sleep; I'm usually out by 11ish. But before this all happened, sometimes I would wake up around 4, and he was stil! up. He also going out more and engaging rather than withdrawing. I am very encouraged and grateful for his progress. 

eta: My migraine trigger is scent. I almost puked in an Uber earlier today. I can't handle the new car scent. It smells like sweaty socks to me.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 17
(edited)

Other triggers for my migraines, in addition to some of those  you all listed, are changes in weather pressure and driving from one altitude to another.

That is so interesting, @Sew Sumi, I love the new car smell. But I can’t handle most perfumes.

Edited by Love2dance
Added more
  • Love 2

Besides the previously listed migraine triggers, my other triggers are:

Any Social media rants from Derrick Dullard and Jill Rod.  Something about these 2 especially drives me crazy which leads to nasty headaches.

Arrogant  little fundie girls making ignorant comments about my Greek heritage. 

J/k. I know migraines are serious business. I get them occasionally, but I couldn’t resist. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

Mine are weather changes, especially incoming snow storms, artificial sweeteners, MSG, scent and neck issues.  I look forward to winter to get a break from the allergies but my head is not a fan. 

Thankfully, I rarely get migraines, and a fair number of the ones I do get can partially be attributed to hangovers (which are also rare, but I'll take full credit/blame for bringing them upon myself), but otherwise, one of my main triggers is driving during the winter when the sun is low and the trees are leafless; the strobe-like effect of the sun blinking through the branches as I drive down the highway can be really overwhelming.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

My only migraine trigger is when I have been stressed and my stress level drops, that is when I get a migraine. So the week after exams, second day of vacation, etc, are all prime migraine time.

Mine too.

I've finally just accepted my students are of the "Cs get degrees" variety. This has been a hard pill to swallow. No point in getting stressed out about it anymore.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I don't get migraines, but like clockwork, I almost always seem to get sick when I have been stressed and my stress level dropped. The entire time I was in college and grad school, I never missed class for being sick. I'd get minor colds and stuff but nothing major. But like clockwork, I'd come down with something during Thanksgiving break or spring break or during the summer. It was like my body finally felt like it had permission to be sick and was taking advantage of it. 

• Love 6

Oh, I definitely hear all of you with the stress level thing! I've heard them called "letdown migraines," and I have heard of people getting sick then as well! I used to always get them so badly after college exams and things like that. Also, my first year of teaching, I was soooo stressed out. I was stressed all summer about the next year, but then when I started, it was so much easier the second year. About a month or two into the year, when I realized things were going great and I could finally relax, I got the worst spree of migraines I've ever had. They lasted from about October to February! They finally started getting better in December, but then I got in a wreck and messed up my neck. Migraines are the WORST though, and I've noticed I get them a lot on weekends and at nights during a spree, so I never miss that much work with them...I just feel horrible all the time I'm NOT at work, and then go into work feeling crappy as a consequence. 

This is really random, but do you other migraineurs ever get scared of driving somewhere and getting stuck? I worry so much, when I'm getting them badly, about being away from home and getting one, and being trapped there, unable to drive home. It's awful when you can't do anything because they're bad and controlling your life. Luckily the ones I've had recently are the ones that while they suck, you can still do basic things like driving reasonable distances. 

Thank goodness though, I think I must have adjusted to the medicine, because the last few days have been fine! Now we have daylight savings to adjust to, which always throws me off as well. 😭😭😭😭 it usually is worse in the winter too, which brings me to another trigger...reduced daylight! I almost always get mine in the fall, when the daylight is decreasing, and I also have a dip around late January, when we've had 2 months of very short days. But hallelujah, I'm so glad to be better!!! I even got to go out of town to sing at a friend's dance recital. She teaches adult dance, which I would definitely do if I lived there. They always get other acts to perform while they change costumes, since they don't have a ton of students, and it was so fun! I got to sing two songs, and there were a lot of people I hadn't met, but who were really nice. It was an awesome way to end a not so great week!

it's so interesting so many people on here have migraines, though. It's so easy to feel like it's only you, and then you find out so many people do!

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Oh, I definitely hear all of you with the stress level thing! I've heard them called "letdown migraines," and I have heard of people getting sick then as well! I used to always get them so badly after college exams and things like that. Also, my first year of teaching, I was soooo stressed out. I was stressed all summer about the next year, but then when I started, it was so much easier the second year. About a month or two into the year, when I realized things were going great and I could finally relax, I got the worst spree of migraines I've ever had. They lasted from about October to February! They finally started getting better in December, but then I got in a wreck and messed up my neck. Migraines are the WORST though, and I've noticed I get them a lot on weekends and at nights during a spree, so I never miss that much work with them...I just feel horrible all the time I'm NOT at work, and then go into work feeling crappy as a consequence. 

This is really random, but do you other migraineurs ever get scared of driving somewhere and getting stuck? I worry so much, when I'm getting them badly, about being away from home and getting one, and being trapped there, unable to drive home. It's awful when you can't do anything because they're bad and controlling your life. Luckily the ones I've had recently are the ones that while they suck, you can still do basic things like driving reasonable distances. 

Thank goodness though, I think I must have adjusted to the medicine, because the last few days have been fine! Now we have daylight savings to adjust to, which always throws me off as well. 😭😭😭😭 it usually is worse in the winter too, which brings me to another trigger...reduced daylight! I almost always get mine in the fall, when the daylight is decreasing, and I also have a dip around late January, when we've had 2 months of very short days. But hallelujah, I'm so glad to be better!!! I even got to go out of town to sing at a friend's dance recital. She teaches adult dance, which I would definitely do if I lived there. They always get other acts to perform while they change costumes, since they don't have a ton of students, and it was so fun! I got to sing two songs, and there were a lot of people I hadn't met, but who were really nice. It was an awesome way to end a not so great week!

it's so interesting so many people on here have migraines, though. It's so easy to feel like it's only you, and then you find out so many people do!

I got one of the worst migraines in my life driving home to Detroit from Minneapolis. I had to check into a motel and when it was still going strong the next morning I had to call the front desk and tell them I couldn’t check out on time. They were super nice and let me finish sleeping it off. 

• Love 5

@Christina87  when Mr. lookeyloo was going through his awful migraine phase, we could never make a  plan to do anything because we never knew when one would strike and how bad it would be.  We didn't do much and when we did, it was, like "no headache at the moment, lets try", many times had to come back when he got one.  At his brother's wedding before we knew what was causing them he got a doozy - he was lying in a closet!  Son had to help him shower and dress.  What a mess.  Then Mr. lookeyloo's sister offered him an Esjic which her doctor prescribed for her.  It did help a lot, and I think that was before the imitrex type drugs.  Then once he got one in the middle of the night.  the same night we had an out of town friend over who slipped and hit her head and I took her home from the ER because she couldn't be alone.  So he needed to go to the ER.  She couldn't be alone.  I couldn't get anyone to come over.  So I put the phone on her lap (before cell phones) and tried to get her to say she could call 911.  The ER gave him IV imitrex and something to stop the vomiting, probably phenergan.  He said the headache went away, but, he didn't feel right, which he always said with one of those migraine drugs.  Now that we know the triggers he rarely gets one and uses the Esjic.  the stroke doctor was not happy to prescribe it, but, he did.  I am so sympathetic to all of our migraine sufferers.  Awful condition.

• Love 3

Thank you so much for the welcomes backs! ❤️ I missed this forum! Part of the reason I was gone was because I came down with a case of the breast cancer & had to deal with a bunch of kee-rap. But I'm okay now! Get your mammograms, sisters! ❤️ ❤️

• Love 24
10 minutes ago, Aja said:

Thank you so much for the welcomes backs! ❤️ I missed this forum! Part of the reason I was gone was because I came down with a case of the breast cancer & had to deal with a bunch of kee-rap. But I'm okay now! Get your mammograms, sisters! ❤️ ❤️

Wow, Aja, sorry to hear about the cancer, but I'm glad you're okay now. I always have enjoyed your contributions on here. 

• Love 9

Aja, welcome back! I did have to giggle at "came down with a case of the breast cancer". Cancer warriors have great senses of humor (my mom is finishing up chemo and had a major abdominal surgery in November where she says they gave her a zipper, lol).

• Love 9
54 minutes ago, Aja said:

Good vibes going out to you!!

• Love 5

Sooo...poltergeists or old, tired light fixtures, or whatever, thankfully no one was hurt save for a couple of minor cuts and a fairly painful bruise to Mr. Jyn's hand...During dinner this evening with daughter/son-in-law/grandJynlet, suddenly there was a gunshot-like crack as the light fixture over the dinette table went out and immediately exploded, falling on the table amid a shower of glass! Only real casualties were the last few servings of a calamari appetizer and a few glasses of wine (RIP). Still, scary, scary stuff, and a reminder of how quickly potentially devastating things can happen! Thankfully the fixture was made of tempered glass which scattered  pretty harmlessly, and the only cuts were from the shattered wine glasses the actual fixture landed on. Plus the frame mostly landed on Mr Jyn's hand as well. Luckily the table never seems to end up particularly well centered on the light, so everyone else was a bit out of the way of the main impact.

The main course continued in the dining room, under the (plexiglass) chandelier. Unlit.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Aja said:

Thank you so much, everyone! ❤️

Check out what happened. I got fired from my job in October and received a month's severance, so I thought I'd be a responsible adult and get my health checks done before my insurance expired. Dental cleaning, full physical, mammogram. And then, while frantically trying to find another job and with exactly three days of health insurance coverage left, they called me and said "Yeah, so there was a problem with your mammogram."  I said "Please explain to the problem on my mammogram that my income is currently $00,000.00 annually, and I have three days of health insurance left." The problem on my mammogram didn't care.

And then life became this weird prism. At first, I was in total shock. I sat for a few hours just letting it sink in. "I have no income. I have no health insurance. I have no spouse, no children, no family. And I have cancer. Okay. I understand one cannot be lucky all the time, but....really?  Alllllll righty then. Super. This is just super." I was horrified. All my friends were horrified for me. Even my doctors were slightly horrified because I'm only 43 (but it may be worth mentioning that breast cancer is so prevalent in my family that most of the women were like "oh, it's only in one boob? Lucky!")

And then the prism turned slightly. Turns out I was at stage 1, but like JUST BARELY. I was straddling the edge of stage 2, and it wasn't until after my first surgery that they definitively decided it was stage 1. What if I hadn't gotten fired? Would I have gotten a mammogram? I doubt it, you guys. Who knows when I would have finally found the time.

And then the prism turned slightly again. I live in Minnesota, and in Minnesota, if you have zero income, zero health insurance, and breast cancer, by some raging Euro hippie miracle, the state will cover all of it. Everything. If I'd still had my job with its "great" health insurance, how many thousands of dollars would I have had to pay? Who knows.

More prism turns. Because of the early detection, I did not have to do chemotherapy. That was scaring me more than anything, because I'm pretty scrappy and figured out how to support myself for six months via unemployment insurance and the draining of a retirement account, but chemo would have put me out of the running for a year, and no amount of scrappiness would have been able to save my apartment, my car, everything. Over the Christmas holiday, I was waiting for a test result that would determine whether or not I needed it. If you get an 18 or higher, you need it. YOU GUYS, I GOT A 17.

A month and a half of radiation commenced. Radiation is no picnic, but it's nowhere near the devastating effects of chemo. I re-started the interview process during radiation, and a week and a half after radiation finished--last Friday--I got a job offer.

So you see, Friends, what appeared at first to be one of the worst logistical situations one could find oneself in actually was the vehicle that saved my life. I almost feel like I should play the lotto?

Sisters, get your mammograms. Don't be scared. Make the time. And if anybody here has any questions about it or is nervous or maybe you find yourself in a situation that makes you think "Hey, that Aja chick from the Small Talk thread has been through this, I wonder if she would offer support and advice if I DMed her." Yes, Aja would. 100%. ❤️

Wow, I'm so glad it worked out for you! I believe you and my great-aunt must have fairly similar cases. She's quite a bit older than you are (in her 60s), but she also was recently diagnosed with early-stage breast cancer and is currently undergoing radiation but not chemo. My family tends to not handle any sort of medicine/medical intervention well--if there's a reaction or weird side effect to be had, we'll have it--but she said the only real side effect she has had with the radiation is itching. We were all glad she didn't have to do chemo, as well. 

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Zella said:

Wow, I'm so glad it worked out for you! I believe you and my great-aunt must have fairly similar cases. She's quite a bit older than you are (in her 60s), but she also was recently diagnosed with early-stage breast cancer and is currently undergoing radiation but not chemo. My family tends to not handle any sort of medicine/medical intervention well--if there's a reaction or weird side effect to be had, we'll have it--but she said the only real side effect she has had with the radiation is itching. We were all glad she didn't have to do chemo, as well. 

THE ITCHING IS UNHOLY. Can confirm. 

But yes, it sounds like your great aunt's situation is very similar to mine--which means she's going to be just fine! ❤️ ❤️

• Love 8
Just now, Aja said:

But yes, it sounds like your great aunt's situation is very similar to mine--which means she's going to be just fine! ❤️ ❤️

That's a relief! 🙂 I think today marks 1 month of radiation for her, so hers should be wrapping up soon. 

• Love 6

Wow, @Aja!! What a story. Yay for good outcomes after scary beginnings! I'm hoisting a virtual flute of champagne to your health and happiness and all of life's strange and unpredictable twists and turns! 🥂

A friend of mine (in her late 60's) has recently completed radiation after a similar diagnosis to yours - thanks to a routine mammogram - and seems to be rolling along just fine. And, yes, I *did* get my mammogram just a few months ago. Thank heavens my HMO sends me email and snail mail reminders for that and my other needed checkups. 

Ahem, sisters: in case you missed what @Aja said: get your mammograms!!!

Edited by Jeeves
Typos
  • Love 5

Aja, that is incredible! I seriously have no words. I had my annual mammogram last Friday and the lady ahead of me came back into the waiting room area and exclaimed to everyone, "they have a new machine and it's awesome! It doesn't squish your boobs nearly as hard as the old one", lol!

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

@Aja, what an amazing story. Thank you so much for sharing it. I am just so happy that you are now healthy and starting a new job. And good for your state doing the right thing and taking care of your medical needs. Your post made my day.

• Love 11

Oh Aja - while I'm so happy to hear from you, I'm really sorry that you had to work your way thru all that bullshit.  And I'm so happy about your new job - good luck with that, I hope it gives you many years of professional satisfaction and fun.  

And yes - march all the tata's in your life  (yourself, friends, family) straight to the nearest mammogram machine.  I'm doing mine after I see my OBGYN for the yearly cootch check in April.  Most insurance carriers pay for the 3D, so if you can get it.  I still shake my head about my mom and her cancer that was totally treatable and totally preventable and totally liveable.    

• Love 4

I usually just lurk on PTV, but after reading Aja's story, I thought I'd jump in and share my experience.

i've always had regular mammograms and they've always been normal.  However, the mammo I had in September was not normal and by the middle of October I had been diagnosed with breast cancer. It was a small tumor but it was "triple negative", which means that it is very aggressive and tends to metastasize quickly.  So 15 days from the phone call giving me the diagnosis, I was sitting in a chemo chair. That was November 1.

I've had 11 chemo treatments so far and have 5 more to go. Then I will have surgery.   A lumpectomy is probably an option, since my tumor was small, but then I'd have to have 9 weeks of daily radiation. I'll likely opt for a mastectomy, because I don't want to have the radiation.

Bottom line - get your mammograms regularly aand faithfully.  My last one probably saved my life.

• Love 23
17 minutes ago, Mrs. P. said:

I usually just lurk on PTV, but after reading Aja's story, I thought I'd jump in and share my experience.

i've always had regular mammograms and they've always been normal.  However, the mammo I had in September was not normal and by the middle of October I had been diagnosed with breast cancer. It was a small tumor but it was "triple negative", which means that it is very aggressive and tends to metastasize quickly.  So 15 days from the phone call giving me the diagnosis, I was sitting in a chemo chair. That was November 1.

I've had 11 chemo treatments so far and have 5 more to go. Then I will have surgery.   A lumpectomy is probably an option, since my tumor was small, but then I'd have to have 9 weeks of daily radiation. I'll likely opt for a mastectomy, because I don't want to have the radiation.

Bottom line - get your mammograms regularly aand faithfully.  My last one probably saved my life.

Thank you for your story, @Mrs. P., and I'm sorry you have to go through this.

One of my best friends died 15 months ago of metastatic breast cancer, one day after her 53rd birthday. She was 26 days younger than me. She opted for a bilateral mastectomy initially to prevent recurrence but nonetheless had two, the last one with metastases to her liver, spine and brain.

In short, yes, get your mammograms.

• Love 1

A former boss of mine was diagnosed with breast cancer in her early 40's. She had three young kids at the time. No family history.  She had had a clear mammogram 6 months earlier and then found the lump while in the shower.  Unfortunately, she did not survive.   About a year after that I had a friend who was diagnosed (her mom has survived a breast cancer diagnosis twice).  My friend decided on a double mastectomy and a hysterectomy.  Right now she has been cancer free for over five years. 

Breast cancer doesn't run in my family, but because of my former boss, I always worry until I get the all clear.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Aja said:

My cousin too was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer at 42, she had a lumpectomy and radiation- she’s just fine now. She got her mammogram because she was working on a breast cancer research project. Yes we will all get our mammograms. I’m so happy you’re on the mend!

• Love 6