Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Christina87 said:

• He is a vegetarian, and says at minimum, he will have a meat free household (I wonder what "at maximum" would be...no food except oranges?)
  • he will not date a smoker, and was very intense about it (to be fair a lot of people won't, myself included, but it does ask about that, so you don't have to state it like an asshole like he did)
  • His life goal is to build a tiny house in the middle of the desert, and his girl will have to be okay with that (yet he lives in Charlotte?)
  • he "eschews" social media, and will not appear on anyone else's
  • He doesn't drive, but only rides a bike, and doesn't want a woman to drive either
  • he doesn't tolerate religion
  • he doesn't tolerate anyone watching organized sports in his presence 
  • He doesn't own a TV, and will never own one (however, he will go to the cinema...so big of him!)
  • He says he loves his "blue eyeballs"
  • he doesn't like any kind of coffee
  • he says he "worried a lot about his OkCupid profile." Maybe he should worry about it more, but not for the reasons he thinks. 

I thought I found some weird ones online, but I have just one question:  what DOES he enjoy doing??? No social media, but he's on OK Cupid? No watching organized sports??   I know you said he won't appear on anyone else's, but that just sounds weird.  As far as the vegetarian deal:  maybe he doesn't want any leather products in the house. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, CherryMalotte said:

His life goal is to build a tiny house in the middle of the desert, and his girl will have to be okay with that (yet he lives in Charlotte?)

He's looking to hide bodies.  

Or cook meth.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 12

It's been an expensive week at Chez Sumi. Our old kitty has been periodically urinating some blood. Two urinalysis came out clean, so the next step was an (expensive) ultrasound. Long story short, some lymph nodes were enlarged, and the vet was concerned about lymphoma. Biopsy (expensive). Got the call today that she is cancer-free. That's a relief, but they still can't pinpoint the blood issue, other than having some blood clots in her bladder. We just monitor her from now on and possibly start steroid treatment if it doesn't resolve. 

Today, I finally got around to having a molar looked at. It has a huge filling which turned out to be cracked. So yeah, I had to fork out a copay to get a crown. Our credit card is wincing right now, but stuff is resolved, so yay, I guess?

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 15

@Christina87 I know I'll probably regret asking for more detail, but what was the context of Weird Boy's declaration about loving his blue eyeballs? Like, was he describing his appearance? Or the only thing he likes in the world? I'm just envisioning him walking up to random people with that declaration, and it's cracking me up. 

• Love 1

Hi guys, I'm going to get off the heavy stuff I've posted for the last week or so and ask a maybe frivolous question. Android or Kindle? I thought I left my android tablet at the doctor's office and was talked into the Kindle Fire at Best Buy because they were out of androids. Life happened and I never opened it, Best Buy got more androids and I found my tablet, but hubby had already laid claim to it. If you have a Kindle do you like it? Really the only thing I will use it for is reading. I prefer to use the laptop for everything else. Not sure if it's worth the money in relation to the androids. I need the 10 inch, my eyes are too old to read on the smaller ones. Thanks in advance for any advice.

10 hours ago, jjane said:

Hi guys, I'm going to get off the heavy stuff I've posted for the last week or so and ask a maybe frivolous question. Android or Kindle? I thought I left my android tablet at the doctor's office and was talked into the Kindle Fire at Best Buy because they were out of androids. Life happened and I never opened it, Best Buy got more androids and I found my tablet, but hubby had already laid claim to it. If you have a Kindle do you like it? Really the only thing I will use it for is reading. I prefer to use the laptop for everything else. Not sure if it's worth the money in relation to the androids. I need the 10 inch, my eyes are too old to read on the smaller ones. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I prefer Android because I use my local library's app for ebooks.  Amazon does not like to play with the various apps that libraries use as their ebook platform.  

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I have an iPad and use two different library system apps with no difficulties

As a librarian when people ask me for recommendations on devices, I recommend either an Android or Ipad for this reason.  They both allow for the user to download different apps for free to allow them to access materials from different sources.  Each library has its own budget and choose the digital platform which best suits their community.  The costs for these platforms and the cost of ebooks for libraries is outrageously expensive.  We are always trying to balance giving our patrons what they want and the cost of everything.  Best example is the prodigious James Patterson.  The cost for my library for just one of his titles--the physical  book is around $16.00, but the ebook is $84.00 (allowing for only one user at a time, but no checkout limit or expiration date).  Unfortunately we cannot afford to buy every single one of his new releases as an ebook because he churns these out on an bimonthly basis.  

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Zella said:

@Christina87 I know I'll probably regret asking for more detail, but what was the context of Weird Boy's declaration about loving his blue eyeballs? Like, was he describing his appearance? Or the only thing he likes in the world? I'm just envisioning him walking up to random people with that declaration, and it's cracking me up. 

Hahahaha it was name something you like about yourself. I guess he thought he sounded sooooo witty saying that! Well, he's wrong!!!

11 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I just joined ok Cupid. Best match is a 68 year old man.

lol I can’t stop lol. 

The only thing worse than that is when they are 68, but claim they're 38. There are soooo many of those on there. It's like...dude. We're not stupid! Who do you think you're fooling?

• Love 2
Just now, Christina87 said:

Hahahaha it was name something you like about yourself. I guess he thought he sounded sooooo witty saying that! Well, he's wrong!!!

Bahaha Yeah I bet he did think that sounded clever. . . . 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I prefer Android because I use my local library's app for ebooks.  Amazon does not like to play with the various apps that libraries use as their ebook platform.  

I use a Kindle, carry it with me everywhere.  I've borrowed books from several libraries on it, never had a problem.  If you're planning on using your library's e-book services, you might want to check out what they have available for each of the platforms to help guide your choice.  I have a Kindle Fire, but carry my Kindle Paperwhite with me because it's screen can be easily read in sunlight and I like to sit outside and read at lunch.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I use a Kindle, carry it with me everywhere.  I've borrowed books from several libraries on it, never had a problem.  If you're planning on using your library's e-book services, you might want to check out what they have available for each of the platforms to help guide your choice.  I have a Kindle Fire, but carry my Kindle Paperwhite with me because it's screen can be easily read in sunlight and I like to sit outside and read at lunch.

It really depends on where you live when it comes to what your local libraries provide.  I miss the public libraries in Ohio where the funding was much more robust than here in North Carolina.  They had free statewide interlibrary loan which was a godsend.  The state library there helps with negotiating better prices for their libraries with the different digital vendors.  In NC, not so much.  Most of our library systems are only locally funded and make their own contracts.  The state library here is trying to play catch up though.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

As a librarian when people ask me for recommendations on devices, I recommend either an Android or Ipad for this reason.  They both allow for the user to download different apps for free to allow them to access materials from different sources.  Each library has its own budget and choose the digital platform which best suits their community.  The costs for these platforms and the cost of ebooks for libraries is outrageously expensive.  We are always trying to balance giving our patrons what they want and the cost of everything.  Best example is the prodigious James Patterson.  The cost for my library for just one of his titles--the physical  book is around $16.00, but the ebook is $84.00 (allowing for only one user at a time, but no checkout limit or expiration date).  Unfortunately we cannot afford to buy every single one of his new releases as an ebook because he churns these out on an bimonthly basis.  

And my elderly father in law has found a way to borrow e-books and download them into some kind of gps device in his car. I Tell him he is stealing. He shrugs. I find it really awful that he can rationalize this. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It really depends on where you live when it comes to what your local libraries provide.  I miss the public libraries in Ohio where the funding was much more robust than here in North Carolina.  They had free statewide interlibrary loan which was a godsend.  The state library there helps with negotiating better prices for their libraries with the different digital vendors.  In NC, not so much.  Most of our library systems are only locally funded and make their own contracts.  The state library here is trying to play catch up though.  

Yes, my local library is affiliated with an entire system of libraries which makes getting obscure books that much easier. I live in Northeast Ohio and the public library system in and around Cleveland really is outstanding.

Another point in Kindle's favor is that, if you have Amazon Prime, as so many people do, there are a bundle of books, including most of the classics, which you can download and read for free.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, beckie said:

Am I the only one who still prefers actual books that I can hold and turn the pages? I'm an internet junkie, but when it comes to books, I prefer the old fashioned way!

I like both.

• Love 9
39 minutes ago, beckie said:

Am I the only one who still prefers actual books that I can hold and turn the pages? I'm an internet junkie, but when it comes to books, I prefer the old fashioned way!

Oof, i'm a publishing student, and we have literally had discussions that spanned three weeks worth of class on digital v paper! 

for me, I like both, but digital is much more convenient on my walk-bus-subway-walk commute!

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, beckie said:

I like both, too. I mostly use my iPad with the Kindle app when I'm travelling because it allows me to take a pile of books in a small space. I always also have paper books with me when I travel because I can't risk being without a book! But I generally read paper books at home because the form factor just works better for me. Also, reading an iPad in the bathtub feels like tempting fate. I have lately taken to ordering some of the books I know I will not want to keep for my iPad but I still get anything I may want to read more than once in paper. I have a book problem but I figure as addictions go, it's not a bad one...

• Love 4

I prefer books in general and can't stand to read magazines on a device.  By nighttime though, the fibromyalgia and carpal tunnel make it hard to hold a heavy book and turn the pages. With a tablet it's much easier. I can read without having the light on and most devices have a nighttime mode that's easier on the eyes. My only problem is the tablet puts me into a twilight sleep where  I'm still conscious of holding it and never actually fall asleep. If I do actually get close to falling asleep feeling the tablet start to fall wakes me up. I need to figure out a way to safely let go of the tablet before it wakes me up.  Yeah, I'm weird.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, jjane said:

I prefer books in general and can't stand to read magazines on a device.  By nighttime though, the fibromyalgia and carpal tunnel make it hard to hold a heavy book and turn the pages. With a tablet it's much easier. I can read without having the light on and most devices have a nighttime mode that's easier on the eyes. My only problem is the tablet puts me into a twilight sleep where  I'm still conscious of holding it and never actually fall asleep. If I do actually get close to falling asleep feeling the tablet start to fall wakes me up. I need to figure out a way to safely let go of the tablet before it wakes me up.  Yeah, I'm weird.

My heart loves the feel of a book in my hands, but, practically speaking, the Kindle is just so portable and easy to handle.  For Christmas, I bought myself Michelle Obama's book in hardcover, mainly because the Kindle doesn't handle photos well and I want to see them, too.  When I read something on my Kindle that I really love, I will sometimes buy the hardcover just to keep, but I have very few 'real' books anymore and most of them pre-date my e-reader days.

Also, I do some medical work in other countries and it is possible to download a lot of medical texts on the kindle.  William's Obstetrics, if purchased as a book is around a thousand pages and weighs several pounds.  Carrying it overseas and hauling it from clinic to clinic is just not practical which is another reason I love my Kindle.  I have several textbooks right at my fingertips and the whole thing weighs just a couple ounces and easily slips into a purse or backpack.

• Love 11
17 hours ago, beckie said:

I'm with you.  I've also found many  paper books (both used & new) on second hand book sites that are cheaper than e-books. Thriftbooks.com is my favorite site. I can easily find enough books to get to $10 to qualify for free shipping. Also it feels like Christmas when I get my package of books.

But I do like my Kindle too, mainly for the reasons already noted like traveling.

My sister has a few ladies in her book club that are germaphobics & only use e-books because of all the germs (they claim) are on paper books.  I never even thought of paper books being germ carriers til she told me about these women. I guess paper books don't  transmit too many germs or else we wouldn't have them.  

• Love 3
12 hours ago, jjane said:

I usually read these boards in bed at night.  On my tablet.  Many times I've fallen asleep and my fairly heavy tablet falls out of my hands and bonks me in the head!

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Barb23 said:

I'm with you.  I've also found many  paper books (both used & new) on second hand book sites that are cheaper than e-books. Thriftbooks.com is my favorite site. I can easily find enough books to get to $10 to qualify for free shipping. Also it feels like Christmas when I get my package of books.

But I do like my Kindle too, mainly for the reasons already noted like traveling.

My sister has a few ladies in her book club that are germaphobics & only use e-books because of all the germs (they claim) are on paper books.  I never even thought of paper books being germ carriers til she told me about these women. I guess paper books don't  transmit too many germs or else we wouldn't have them.  

I don't have a clue what the real deal is with germs and books. But. I'm squicked out by the idea of all the micro-doodads that must live on the covers of library books (and the cases of library DVDs and CDs). When I bring library books, DVDs, and CDs home, I usually wipe them down. I don't use anything that will destroy the Brodart dust jacket covers (on hardcover books) or the finish on the covers of everything else. But I almost always see a lot of grime come off onto the paper towel or cloth that I use on those things. 

For a few years I volunteered at our local public library - not handling books, BTW.  One day while there, I took a book from the shelves to check out. It was probably ten years old and the dust jacket protective cover was clouded with grime. I grabbed one of the disinfecting/cleaning wipes we kept at the desk and wiped it down. Got a smile from one of the library staff in that unit; she had already regaled us with stories of how she'd started as a book handler/sorter, loading and unloading books being transported around from branch to branch to fulfill holds, requests, etc. She said her hands would become filthy within just a few minutes when handling the books. 

BTW, I got the very first model of Kindle when it was released back in 2008. I've owned some of the later models and now have the latest Paperwhite. I've also had an Android tablet and one of the first Kindle Fire tablets. Now I have an iPad mini; the mini and my phone are my favorite hand-held electronic devices.

I like the Kindle Paperwhite because it's easier on my eyes, but I *love* the iPad because its Kindle app provides IMO a much better user interface. The Paperwhite is clunky and slow compared to the iPad mini, but it's better than the earlier Paperwhite, and very compact and light. Also, as noted, easier on the eyes. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, jjane said:

That’s funny because I LOVE this feeling on the flip side. I love to wake up before my alarm and pull up this forum. Then I fall in and out of sleep while reading about the Duggars until my alarm goes off. It feels so indulgent. My husband was just asking me earlier in the week why I don’t just get up when I wake up. Easy answer: because I would miss this twilight sleep. 

I’m weird, too ;)

• Love 6

Bringing the dog topic over here.

It’s funny the topic, erm, came up, today of what things dogs have eaten that they shouldn’t because I came home to find only one stick of butter on the counter when there were two when I left....... I have two large dogs, but I suspect one ate it all. So now I am on diarrhea and vomiting alert. We are going to put our house on the market in a few months, so I am extra worried about my carpet! I called the vet who fortunately thinks acute pancreatitis is unlikely.

I don’t remember the equations but it’s something like 1 oz of milk chocolate per pound of dog is toxic, so a 50# dog would have to eat 4# of milk chocolate for it to be toxic. Whereas unsweetened chocolate is toxic is much lower doses. Like the 4oz bar of Baker’s chocolate I have in my pantry I think could be toxic to my 50# dogs.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I don’t remember the equations but it’s something like 1 oz of milk chocolate per pound of dog is toxic, so a 50# dog would have to eat 4# of milk chocolate for it to be toxic. Whereas unsweetened chocolate is toxic is much lower doses. Like the 4oz bar of Baker’s chocolate I have in my pantry I think could be toxic to my 50# dogs.

That makes sense because my mom's dog was super, super sick from a chocolate chip cookie that she slipped him.  He'a a small dog though. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I love this forum, because I can say stuff here that I can't say out loud to anyone else.

My daughter just wrote this on Facebook:

"Well, crud.  A****'s MRI results: torn ACL & meniscus. Competition out. Surgery likely. Appt. Monday (her birthday) to learn more."

This following is what I can't share with anyone else in my real life:

While I am very sad that  my 11 yo granddaughter has to go through this, I have to admit that I'm hoping this ends her competitive gymnastics career.

She was in training almost every day of her life since she was three.

In my honest opinion, she has missed out being a "normal" kid. When my daughter and the kids came here for Christmas, she got to stay for less than a day. She then had to go back for more training.

Her cousins were so sad at not being able to hang out with her (me too.)

I've always cringed watching her do her routines. I was so afraid she'd get badly hurt. 

She's a tiny little wisp of a girl. Now maybe she can eat normally. 

I think I'd feel worse about this potentially ending her career, if I thought this whole gymnastics thing was her idea, and she wanted to win, win, WIN!!

I don't.

I don't think it was ever really her own idea  I think my son-in-law was the one pushing her into this the entire time. He's obsessed.

I hope she can be a kid now, and go to a real school and socialize, instead of them homeschooling her.

They did that so they could cram more gymnastics training into her day.

I HATED it for her. I really think she just wanted to please her dad.

Of course I would never even hint about this to her or her parents, but it feels cathartic to have a place to state my true feelings.

Shoot, I can't even say this to my own husband, he's just as gung-ho about  the whole "training for the Olympics" thing. 

Thanks for letting me vent. 😁

Sorry for your granddaughter, I hope she heals as painlessly as possible.

I hear you on the rest of your post. It can be so frustrating to have to bite your tongue.

• Love 9
On 1/9/2019 at 5:41 PM, Sew Sumi said:

It's been an expensive week at Chez Sumi. Our old kitty has been periodically urinating some blood. Two urinalysis came out clean, so the next step was an (expensive) ultrasound. Long story short, some lymph nodes were enlarged, and the vet was concerned about lymphoma. Biopsy (expensive). Got the call today that she is cancer-free. That's a relief, but they still can't pinpoint the blood issue, other than having some blood clots in her bladder. We just monitor her from now on and possibly start steroid treatment if it doesn't resolve. 

Today, I finally got around to having a molar looked at. It has a huge filling which turned out to be cracked. So yeah, I had to fork out a copay to get a crown. Our credit card is wincing right now, but stuff is resolved, so yay, I guess?

My kitty Pippi had some issues with struggling to urinate and had a bit of blood in her urine.  Very expensive tests as well to come out clean, no infection.  She had been to the emergency vet and her bladder was so small they couldn't test it so they gave us pain meds and said check up with your doc.  Took her in, she was doing fine.  Then 2 weeks later struggling in pain.  Took her back, lots of tests, crystals in her bladder.  Gave her antispasm pills and switched her to a prescription diet.  After a few days she was better.  Maybe crystals?  Pippi eats Royal Canin food wet and dry but we do more wet and put water on it to make sure she is getting enough liquid.  It isn't cheap.  She costs us a bit over $100 in food every 6 weeks.  But she is young and whatcha gonna do?

22 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

Oof, i'm a publishing student, and we have literally had discussions that spanned three weeks worth of class on digital v paper! 

for me, I like both, but digital is much more convenient on my walk-bus-subway-walk commute!

I do books unless I am flying.  I downloaded books onto my IPad.  I much prefer an actual book.

• Love 4

I have a reading pillow that I really like.  It is a bolster-shape with a "shelf" to hold my ereader or ipad or book.  If I fall asleep, the reader doesn't fall on me.  I also don't have to hold it in my hands to read.  Works for me.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I have a reading pillow that I really like.  It is a bolster-shape with a "shelf" to hold my ereader or ipad or book.  If I fall asleep, the reader doesn't fall on me.  I also don't have to hold it in my hands to read.  Works for me.

Can you share a link for it? I would buy it.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I do books unless I am flying.  I downloaded books onto my IPad.  I much prefer an actual book.

I used to have many, many books in cases all throughout my house.

Dusting them was a PITA.

Now I think I have maybe 12 "real" books in the house. They're books that are out of print,  for example.

I can't remember the last time I even touched one of them.

I love, love, LOVE getting books online  from my library and never having to think about getting to the library to return them. No more late fees.

I would say everyone should get a Kindle Voyage,  but they stopped making them.

(of course, they stopped making the  the kindle I love.)

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Can you share a link for it? I would buy it.

Amazon has one very much like mine--maybe the same one.  Lap Pro mini universal beanbag lap stand.  I know mine is the same size as this one.  Amazon seems to have several to choose from.  I use mine almost every night.  Hope this helps.

34 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Yes please share where to get one.

Y'all...people suck sometimes. 

Crappiest day ever in the adventure that is dating. 

Get ready for it...stood up not once today, but twice!!!!

By this point, I'm thinking I dodged a bullet with these particular guys, but it's just so irritating that people have such awful social skills.

So I was talking to this new guy, and he said he could do dinner either day this weekend. I suggested Saturday, and then never heard anything else from him. 

Then, there is a guy I went out with right before Christmas. He has kept in touch with me all this time, and has said he wants a second date. So he texted me and suggested Saturday. 

This was Thursday night, so I texted the other guy to make sure we were still on for Saturday. When I heard nothing, I said yes to the one I'd seen before. 

I've heard nothing from either one since Thursday. 

This morning, I texted the one I had plans with and asked for specifics, so I could plan my day. I asked him early last night too, and he also ignored that. Finally he wrote back that he was feeling under the weather. I really don't believe him, though. He has been dragging his feet, but I thought he'd follow through at least. I sent him a text and said if he's not interested, it's really okay, but just to tell me. Silence. He will never end it, because he'll want to keep me as a backup option! If he was really sick, he would insist that. But no, his silence tells me all I need to know. Now I won't be surprised in three months when I get a "hey" from him!

so I went from two dates tonight to zero. I guess it's no big loss, but it's just unbelievable!

i just can't imagine why you'd go to the trouble to make plans with someone and have no intention to follow through. 

Ghosting is passive. 

Saying you're not interested is courageous. 

Actively asking someone on a date that you aren't planning to follow through is sabotaging and hurting somebody. IMO, at least just ghost before you plan the date!

Then I was on reddit, and saw that there is an OkCupid forum. I thought it might be a nice place, like a dating support group. I wanted to get others' opinions, so I went on there and asked if anyone else had had this experience. When I was dating even three years ago, I never had anyone stand me up like this! They chased me out of town with pitchforks! They were sooooo mean! They said things  like: 

• Why does he owe you anything? What's wrong with what he's doing?
  • you must be ugly
  • no one wants a 31-year-old. You're expired. (One even said, "no one wants your expired melons!")
  • You must be pretty, and only care about your looks. Newsflash: guys in their thirties care about more than that. You must have no substance. 
  • You must have a horrible personality, and that's why these guys don't want to go out with you 
  • People quit talking to others online. Get over it!
  • ooooooh! A guy didn't fall in love with you on the first date! OP's so stupid that she thinks every guy is going to be all over her. 

I was horrified at their meanness, as I didn't say anything except the facts! I definitely didn't say something like, "I'm hot but these losers guys aren't in love with me." I don't know how I enraged them so much; they acted like they hated me as much as we hate Derick! I just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced it, or if it was the common thing now. And I'm sorry, but everyone who dates online has been ghosted. These people literally didn't understand why planning a date and standing them up is worse than just stopping the conversation, without a date on the horizon. 

I'm so glad I have this PTV family! At least you guys don't think I'm an awful person and chasing these guys away because I'm some terrible monster. It just burns me up how those people said, "he owes you nothing." Well, sorry, yes he does! He owes me civility! He owes it to me to not make a date and purposefully stand me up. I don't care who you are; no one deserves to be treated that way. Maybe if I recognize that and they don't, I'm not the monster here. It's just so hard to believe I'm not "expired," but I believe everyone deserves a chance. My ex's mom was scared to date because she's in her fifties, and short and overweight, but I kept encouraging her to get back out there! Everyone should try to find someone if they really want to. Those people on Reddit just made me feel like such a sub-human. I think I feel worse about that than being stood up at this point, though I am wondering if I'll ever actually get to go through with another date. 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 21
10 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Y'all...people suck sometimes. 

Crappiest day ever in the adventure that is dating. 

Get ready for it...stood up not once today, but twice!!!!

By this point, I'm thinking I dodged a bullet with these particular guys, but it's just so irritating that people have such awful social skills.

So I was talking to this new guy, and he said he could do dinner either day this weekend. I suggested Saturday, and then never heard anything else from him. 

Then, there is a guy I went out with right before Christmas. He has kept in touch with me all this time, and has said he wants a second date. So he texted me and suggested Saturday. 

This was Thursday night, so I texted the other guy to make sure we were still on for Saturday. When I heard nothing, I said yes to the one I'd seen before. 

I've heard nothing from either one since Thursday. 

This morning, I texted the one I had plans with and asked for specifics, so I could plan my day. I asked him early last night too, and he also ignored that. Finally he wrote back that he was feeling under the weather. I really don't believe him, though. He has been dragging his feet, but I thought he'd follow through at least. I sent him a text and said if he's not interested, it's really okay, but just to tell me. Silence. He will never end it, because he'll want to keep me as a backup option! If he was really sick, he would insist that. But no, his silence tells me all I need to know. Now I won't be surprised in three months when I get a "hey" from him!

so I went from two dates tonight to zero. I guess it's no big loss, but it's just unbelievable!

i just can't imagine why you'd go to the trouble to make plans with someone and have no intention to follow through. 

Ghosting is passive. 

Saying you're not interested is courageous. 

Actively asking someone on a date that you aren't planning to follow through is sabotaging and hurting somebody. IMO, at least just ghost before you plan the date!

Then I was on reddit, and saw that there is an OkCupid forum. I thought it might be a nice place, like a dating support group. I wanted to get others' opinions, so I went on there and asked if anyone else had had this experience. When I was dating even three years ago, I never had anyone stand me up like this! They chased me out of town with pitchforks! They were sooooo mean! They said things  like: 

• Why does he owe you anything? What's wrong with what he's doing?
  • you must be ugly
  • no one wants a 31-year-old. You're expired. (One even said, "no one wants your expired melons!")
  • You must be pretty, and only care about your looks. Newsflash: guys in their thirties care about more than that. You must have no substance. 
  • You must have a horrible personality, and that's why these guys don't want to go out with you 
  • People quit talking to others online. Get over it!
  • ooooooh! A guy didn't fall in love with you on the first date! OP's so stupid that she thinks every guy is going to be all over her. 

I was horrified at their meanness, as I didn't say anything except the facts! I definitely didn't say something like, "I'm hot but these losers guys aren't in love with me." I don't know how I enraged them so much; they acted like they hated me as much as we hate Derick! I just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced it, or if it was the common thing now. And I'm sorry, but everyone who dates online has been ghosted. These people literally didn't understand why planning a date and standing them up is worse than just stopping the conversation, without a date on the horizon. 

I'm so glad I have this PTV family! At least you guys don't think I'm an awful person and chasing these guys away because I'm some terrible monster. It just burns me up how those people said, "he owes you nothing." Well, sorry, yes he does! He owes me civility! He owes it to me to not make a date and purposefully stand me up. I don't care who you are; no one deserves to be treated that way. Maybe if I recognize that and they don't, I'm not the monster here. It's just so hard to believe I'm not "expired," but I believe everyone deserves a chance. My ex's mom was scared to date because she's in her fifties, and short and overweight, but I kept encouraging her to get back out there! Everyone should try to find someone if they really want to. Those people on Reddit just made me feel like such a sub-human. I think I feel worse about that than being stood up at this point, though I am wondering if I'll ever actually get to go through with another date. 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

This just breaks my heart. This is why I wish we were friends IRL. I would come over to your house with a bottle or two or three of wine. Sometimes people suck. 

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

This just breaks my heart. This is why I wish we were friends IRL. I would come over to your house with a bottle or two or three of wine. Sometimes people suck. 

AWWWWWW thank you!!!! I really wish you could too. That would be an awesome night! I got a smart TV for Christmas, so we could watch Netflix! 😃😃😃 That really is so sweet. Makes me feel a little better. I think I'm really more upset about the mean people on reddit than anything else! Why do people have to be so cruel and assume the worst about everybody? Why do people like to kick others while they're down? I really just wanted to see if that experience was commonplace, and they made me feel like such a loser. 

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Those people on Reddit just made me feel like such a sub-human.

Reddit = the wild wild west of the internet, IMO.

I do read there, but hardly post for just this reason.

Give me good old PTV any day.

Ps ghosting is just RUDE. Sorry that happened to you.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Reddit = the wild wild west of the internet, IMO.

I do read there, but hardly post for just this reason.

Give me good old PTV any day.

Ps ghosting is just RUDE.

THANK YOU!!! I hardly ever post on Reddit either, because I had heard people could be really mean, but this was my first experience with that. I just don't see why being cruel to someone helps. 

And I was so flabbergasted when someone said, "why are you so spoiled to think this random guy online owes you something?" I was like, "he DOES owe me civility!!! I can't believe I'm even counting ghosting in the civility category here, but just ghosting is far preferable to making plans and then ghosting!" But I agree...any kind of ghosting is rude! Sometimes you go on a date and things just mutually fade out on both sides, but if someone is actively interested in you and you ghost, that is bad behavior. That happened to me plenty in the past, but I never have had someone plan a date and then ghost, but it's happened with four out of five guys I've talked to this time around. I guess it's because I'm "expired!"

Soooooo glad PTV is a thing. Everyone here is so nice and caring!!!

• Love 5