Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

34 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

So... tomorrow I’m going to a bar for the first time and I’m so over 30 and I feel ridiculously old. 

Haha

i figured if I got invited then I should go. I’m super shy and introverted. It sucks.

and on my birthday no one called me. I got all my birthday wishes on Facebook. It made me sad that no one called me. 

And this is what Sunday s we’re made for. My fav site 

https://postsecret.com/

I understand about no one calling on your birthday, same here just Facebook wishes from friends no family, the same for Christmas. It just HURTS. I cannot wait till I can afford some type of transportation, then I will be able to do something, volunteer some where , go to Church. Oh well, as the saying goes..This to shall pass it may pass like a kidney stone but it will pass. Have fun at the bar, be safe.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

So... tomorrow I’m going to a bar for the first time and I’m so over 30 and I feel ridiculously old. 

Haha

i figured if I got invited then I should go. I’m super shy and introverted. It sucks.

and on my birthday no one called me. I got all my birthday wishes on Facebook. It made me sad that no one called me. 

And this is what Sunday s we’re made for. My fav site 

https://postsecret.com/

just dont ever leave your drink unattended....i speak from experience here.

• Love 5

@galaxychaser I am excited for you!!! You're trying a lot of new things lately, and you may not feel it, but I think you have set some positive energy in motion. I can't explain it, but I just have a really good feeling about this coming year for you. Keep doing these things outside your comfort zone, and at the very least, it will give you a positive feeling of, "wow...I did that!!!" I think things are starting to turn around for you, though...just a deep gut feeling. I hope you have a great time at the bar, and tell us how it goes!

i feel pretty lonely too. It's been soooo hard not talking to that guy. Actually, I am so turned off because he clearly doesn't know me, that I have no urge to specifically contact him, which sort of surprises me. When I realized he really thought I was a manipulative bitch, it made me only want to spend time with people who don't think I'm just pretending to be nice. But the hole he had left in my life is hard to deal with. I miss knowing I had someone who was always there, BUT he wasn't there in the ways that count. He was down to get a pizza, but getting him completely out of the picture is the first step to finding someone who is down to get a pizza...on our honeymoon! I miss having someone to talk to and go places with. I'm trying to be as social as I can, which helps. I'm excited to go out tomorrow with good friends, and be the fifth wheel, haha, instead of spending it with him. I'm also past feeling self conscious about starting over at 31...now I am just ready to get out there and date more guys! I know myself better than I even did at 28, when I met this guy, by a LONG shot!!! I know what I bring to the table, what my weaknesses are, and what I'm looking for. I also have a much more healthy appreciation of how huge a commitment marriage is, and how divorce devastates lives, so choosing wisely the first time is a good idea. I saw this random lady at church whose daughter was getting married, and I told her I had recently dumped someone because he didn't want it. She told me I had made the right decision, and said, "I can't think of anyone who would be a better, sweeter wife than you!" I really value this lady's opinion, as she has known me my whole life. I've got to trust that things will be better in the future, maybe even soon! It is just sooooo hard and lonely getting there!

• Love 15

@Christina87 it’s very hard when you’re used to spending a lot of time with someone and the person isn’t around any more. I can 100% that even though you know the guy is a dipshit, you do miss the companionship etc.

But you’ve got an EXCELLENT attitude, I’m very proud of you for getting out there and building the life you want for yourself. 

• Love 12
12 hours ago, Zella said:

Christina, did you have any more interactions with the guy you recently met online who seemed nice? :)

Thanks for asking!!! We had a great date, but it was right before Christmas, and he went home for a week and just got back. We have kept in touch, though! I can't wait to go out again when I get back (still with my family a few more days)! I actually think there could be skme potential there, and I'm looking forward to date #2!

• Love 7
On 28/12/2018 at 3:34 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Very much this. Again- no excuse for being a brat and not treating your family members with proper respect, but I’ve found adults get so focus on our “adult stuff” we think kids have it so easy and don’t realize how hard being a young person can be.

I had a fun time at school and didn’t deal with severe bullying or anything like that, but kids are with their classmates ALL. Day. Long. All day. If things are bad they cannot escape. They have no control over their personal time and aren’t even given the same protections office workers are given- bullying at school can be a huge problem! I would not want to be in 8th grade again no way no how. 

It’s honestly bullshit how we tolerated so much from our “peers” in high school.

• Love 10

So Husband's been in surgery since 12 and it's now 6. They can't remove his prostate because of adhesions from his colon cancer surgery years ago. We will have to hope hormones contain the cancer for now. Will discuss radiation when he is healed from this surgery. We went into this assuming it would be a simple thing to just remove the prostate and go on with life. Not sure what to think now.

• Love 18
4 minutes ago, jjane said:

So Husband's been in surgery since 12 and it's now 6. They can't remove his prostate because of adhesions from his colon cancer surgery years ago. We will have to hope hormones contain the cancer for now. Will discuss radiation when he is healed from this surgery. We went into this assuming it would be a simple thing to just remove the prostate and go on with life. Not sure what to think now.

Oh gosh, not what you wanted to hear.  Lets hope modern medical science will provide him with an alternative just as good.  

• Love 9

I hope so. We finally got moved to a place we love with a house we also love and he has really been enjoying the extra outdoor space. He has all kinds of plans for the place.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, jjane said:

I hope so. We finally got moved to a place we love with a house we also love and he has really been enjoying the extra outdoor space. He has all kinds of plans for the place.

And looking forward to seeing those plans fulfilled is going to be a big help to him as he recovers.  I presume the medication they are thinking about using is Lupron.  It has an excellent track record and minimal side effects in treating prostate cancer.  My uncle received it after his prostate cancer had already spread to his bones (he never went to doctors) and I went with him when he started the medication.  His oncologist told us that 80% of men with prostate cancer which has spread to the bones (meaning not curable) were alive 5 years or more after starting it.  Excellent response for advanced cancer.  Your husband's chances of success should be even better than that.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 20
26 minutes ago, jjane said:

You and your husband are in my prayers.  This is just so new and a surprise to deal with.  I hope you find good people to treat him and give him the best care.   That you find peace in knowing that there are a lot of people here who have never met you and still care what happens to you in your life.   

• Love 8

Thanks for all the support. We have very little  family left and the ones we do have are either too young to be much support or just not capable of it. I've spent the last ten years being the one going to the hospital with family members and taking care of them. Now the tables have turned and it's looks a little lonely.

• Love 18
21 minutes ago, jjane said:

Thanks for all the support. We have very little  family left and the ones we do have are either too young to be much support or just not capable of it. I've spent the last ten years being the one going to the hospital with family members and taking care of them. Now the tables have turned and it's looks a little lonely.

Hugs.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, jjane said:

Prayers for swift and sure healing. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, jjane said:

I'm not here a lot but I'm on tonight and happened to see your posts.  I know quite a bit about prostate cancer.  My late husband had it.  I know that sounds terrible but the truth is that he was initially diagnosed with Stage 4 metastatic prostate cancer.  By the time they found it, it was attached to his bladder, his pelvic bones, his right hip joint, and his right femur.  The doctors gave him six months to a year.  He got over 8 years.  

The treatments for prostate cancer are so much better now.  The hormone treatment kept him symptom-free for a long time.  He tried various treatments and some worked better than others.  He took 2 doses of taxotere and that almost totally wiped it out.  Unfortunately, he wasn't the sort of person who could handle any nausea so he discontinued that one against medical advice.  The radiation also worked very well.

He had over six good years of being able to travel, spending time with our kids, and getting to know his new grandchildren.  Keep reading and stay informed.  There are new trials all the time for new treatments.  It is one of those cancers that people can live with - like a chronic medical condition.  If there's any way I can help or any information I can share, just let me know.

My husband and I both read "The Emperor of All Maladies"  (I have no idea how to underline on here) while he was going through treatment.  It about the history of cancer.  It's a bit dense but it's the first time I ever really understood cancer and it helped me be not quite so afraid.  Cancer is only cells that have, for one reason or another, a malfunctioning "off" switch.  All cells die after a certain time.  Cancer cells do not.  The new therapies are gene therapies and some target this defect.  It will possibly be cured eventually just this way.

Edited by NotFundie
  • Love 16

@NotFundie, thanks for the information. I'm glad the two of you got so many good years. I will read the book. I'm sure I'll be better tomorrow. It's just at the moment I'm alone in New Orleans away from our home and he's still sedated so I haven't even told him about it yet.     

• Love 11
5 hours ago, jjane said:

Praying for your family.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, jjane said:

@NotFundie, thanks for the information. I'm glad the two of you got so many good years. I will read the book. I'm sure I'll be better tomorrow. It's just at the moment I'm alone in New Orleans away from our home and he's still sedated so I haven't even told him about it yet.     

I'm reaching through the internet to give you a hug.  I've sat vigil alone at the hospital too.  It's not easy.  We're there with you in spirit.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, jjane said:

I'm sure I'll be better tomorrow. It's just at the moment I'm alone in New Orleans away from our home and he's still sedated so I haven't even told him about it yet.     

{{Big Hugs}} and prayers for you & your husband. 

Happy New Year to all who post here! May 2019 be our best year so far!

• Love 7

@jjane Sending healing thoughts and prayers for your husband. I’m sure you are nervous about what is to come, but take care of yourself. You will need your health and strength to help see him through this. Wish I still lived in NOLA. I’d be there in a heartbeat bringing you food, giving you hugs and keeping you from facing this alone. My best wishes for his recovery. 

• Love 8

Happy New Year everyone! Hoping 2019 will be a great year for us. 

@jjane  sending healing prayers for your husband.   My dad was treated for prostate cancer over 25 years ago & did fine after radiation.  It was actually a blood clot that got him at the end, not the cancer. 

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

YOU feel old?  I don’t know who Taylor Hanson IS!!!

23 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Yes  I 2nd that HappyFatChick.

He was a tween pop star in the late 90s/early 2000s. Sang with his brothers. I believe he’s my age (33), so I can see him having six kids by now given he’s fundy. 

• Love 5
Just now, Scarlett45 said:

He was a tween pop star in the late 90s/early 2000s. Sang with his brothers. I believe he’s my age (33), so I can see him having six kids by now given he’s fundy. 

Thanks. Inquiring minds want to know, just not bad enough to Goole it. I do appreciate you taking the time to let me know who he is.

Just now, crazycatlady58 said:

Thanks. Inquiring minds want to know, just not bad enough to Google it. I do appreciate you taking the time to let me know who he is.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

In 1997, he and his brothers who called their group Hanson (original, no?) had a huge summer hit with a song called MMMBop which you heard everywhere you went that summer.  Catchy tune.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

In 1997, he and his brothers who called their group Hanson (original, no?) had a huge summer hit with a song called MMMBop which you heard everywhere you went that summer.  Catchy tune.

Yes. I remember I was their target demographic. Oh goodness MEMORIES. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes. I remember I was their target demographic. Oh goodness MEMORIES. 

I was OBSESSED with hanson!!! I was nine that summer, and had every square inch of my wall filled with posters of them. I listened to their CD every day, and was just...obsessed! I KNEW I was going to marry Taylor one day! Good memories. 

• Love 5

speaking of hansen (which i heard of from my students many years ago and then my kids) does anyone want to know that my husband got me tickets to see donny and marie in vegas? now that, i am excited about!

ETA: i saw them when i was 18 in vegas and i was one of the lucky girls that received the purple hat from donny. i still have it to this day although i couldn't tell you where it is right now.

Edited by zoomama
thought of more
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, zoomama said:

speaking of hansen (which i heard of from my students many years ago and then my kids) does anyone want to know that my husband got me tickets to see donny and marie in vegas? now that, i am excited about!

One of my daughters bought us tickets to see  ventriloquist and comedian Jeff Dunham in February :)

SILENCE!!! I kill you!

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

One of my daughters bought us tickets to see  ventriloquist and comedian Jeff Dunham in February :)

SILENCE!!! I kill you!

I LOVE Jeff Dunham! We've seen him live several times. And we watch his TV specials whenever they are on. And we still laugh our asses off like we've never seen him before! I love him!

• Love 4