Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

@jcbrown Charlie (my sweet baby who looks like a long haired Garfield), used to get shaved once a year in the spring. He had a bout of diarreah last year and the groomer couldn’t fit him in. It was SO GROSS, I was bathing him in the tub etc- now he’s being shaved 2x a year on schedule because I’m not going through that again. He looks cute shaved, like a baby lion cause he’s yellow. 

• Love 8

Oh NO!!  Y’all have prompted a story!

I once owned a cocker spaniel named Prissy.  Very small cocker and somewhere near genius level.  My (then) husband taught her to sit, lay and roll over.  Sit and lay were easy, roll over took all night.  However, once she “got” roll over, she learned every dog trick we knew rapidly.  She understood whatever we were repeating over and over meant we wanted her to DO something.  She would stay forever in place with the hand “stop”.  If I said a long command (I was mopping the kitchen and said “don’t come in here”, she would not put a toenail over the threashold until I said “ok”.  OK was her command.  She completely believed she was a human.  

She was never around another animal until she was probably 3, it was a kitten across the street with a little bell on his collar.  She nearly had a heart attack.

and then.  I bred her.  A man at work bred cockers, and was trying to breed them “down”.  He had a little male, and was itching to get prissy’s offspring.  He lived far out of Atlanta, and I let him talk me into letting her go home with him.  Couple days later, he says, “I may as well bring that dog back.  Every morning I go out to the pen to see what’s happening.  She’s always on one side looking mad as hell, and he’s on the other looking dejected.  She looks at me every morning saying ‘scuze me, you forgot me outside, and there’s a DOG in here’ ”.  Finally they did the deed and he brought her back to work.  On the way home that day, I was talking softly to her (she wasn’t speaking to me).  I reached over to rub her under the chin.  She turned her HEAD away from me!!!  

I’m telling you, you have not been fully dissed in life until you’ve been flipped off  by a DOG.

The breeding worked and she was pregnant.  I was SO excited.  She was not.  She refused to read ANY of the “Dogs Giving Birth” books I brought home.  She didn’t do one single thing like the books said.  When she was due, I took a week of vacation so I could be home with her.  The books gave me an emergency supply list (because dogs know this game.  You don’t have to help them except in emergency).  The first was breech.  I helped a minimal amount.  I tried hard not to be in the way.  I had my birthing box and an incubator box all ready.  Scissors, thread, the whole bit.  But I didn’t think I’d need it.

That first pup lay there, still encased in the sac for what seemed an eternity.  I said encouragingly (I guess I was her birthing partner), “k, Priss.  Do whatcha gotta do...”.   Nope.  Prissy went to the other side of the box and sat down, staring at that ugly blob.  I pushed the sac toward her and said “come on, baby.  DO SOMETHING!”  She looked at me as if saying “YOU do it.  YOU wanted this”.  Finally, she sniffs it.  (Good, good...).  She puts her paw out, rolls rolls rolls that pup into the towel, noses it into the corner of the box, returns to her position on the other side.  “There you go, mom.  Took care of it for ya”.  Shaking, I cut the sac, wiped the puppy and massaged it to life.  And then I did that 3 more times.  (Minus the “burying” thing, she had zero interest in those pups).

We had to shut the garage door to make her nurse.  She HATED those puppies.  She was insulted.  What a bother!  One day, someone came to visit and I wanted to show them the pups.  I picked one up and Prissy tried to bite it.  Not ME; the puppy.  She was a TERRIBLE mother.  The books also said she would mourn them as they disappeared when we sold them.  HA!  We joked that she ran to the end of the driveway waving BYE BYE!!!  SEE YA!!!

The next day after the last one left, I had her spayed.  

• Love 24

HFC you amused me greatly with your cocker spaniel story and I can actually visualize her side eyeing and dissing you. My grandparents had cocker spaniels. Keep the wonderful stories coming. It gave me my first laugh of the day. 

• Love 3

@Jynnan tonnix - you had posted in Jinger's thread  that your granddaughter has similar large eyes like Felicity & that she is already 7 months old (I think.) I posted back that your granddaughter has beautiful large eyes & remember commenting about them when you showed us her newborn photo.  I asked if you would be kind enough to show us a current picture. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to see how big she has grown. I couldn't find my original post but just now found it &realized I didn't hit the Submit/Send button so it never got posted. 

So that brings us to now.  Would you  share an updated picture of her to let us see how big & cute she is now?  Since I'm not lucky enough to have any grandchildren yet, I have to enjoy others'.  If you don't want to because of privacy issues, I totally understand. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

I once owned a cocker spaniel named Prissy.  Very small cocker and somewhere near genius level.  My (then) husband taught her to sit, lay and roll over.  Sit and lay were easy, roll over took all night.  However, once she “got” roll over, she learned every dog trick we knew rapidly.  She understood whatever we were repeating over and over meant we wanted her to DO something.  She would stay forever in place with the hand “stop”.  If I said a long command (I was mopping the kitchen and said “don’t come in here”, she would not put a toenail over the threashold until I said “ok”.  OK was her command.  She completely believed she was a human.  

She was never around another animal until she was probably 3, it was a kitten across the street with a little bell on his collar.  She nearly had a heart attack.

and then.  I bred her.  A man at work bred cockers, and was trying to breed them “down”.  He had a little male, and was itching to get prissy’s offspring.  He lived far out of Atlanta, and I let him talk me into letting her go home with him.  Couple days later, he says, “I may as well bring that dog back.  Every morning I go out to the pen to see what’s happening.  She’s always on one side looking mad as hell, and he’s on the other looking dejected.  She looks at me every morning saying ‘scuze me, you forgot me outside, and there’s a DOG in here’ ”.  Finally they did the deed and he brought her back to work.  On the way home that day, I was talking softly to her (she wasn’t speaking to me).  I reached over to rub her under the chin.  She turned her HEAD away from me!!!  

I’m telling you, you have not been fully dissed in life until you’ve been flipped off  by a DOG.

The breeding worked and she was pregnant.  I was SO excited.  She was not.  She refused to read ANY of the “Dogs Giving Birth” books I brought home.  She didn’t do one single thing like the books said.  When she was due, I took a week of vacation so I could be home with her.  The books gave me an emergency supply list (because dogs know this game.  You don’t have to help them except in emergency).  The first was breech.  I helped a minimal amount.  I tried hard not to be in the way.  I had my birthing box and an incubator box all ready.  Scissors, thread, the whole bit.  But I didn’t think I’d need it.

That first pup lay there, still encased in the sac for what seemed an eternity.  I said encouragingly (I guess I was her birthing partner), “k, Priss.  Do whatcha gotta do...”.   Nope.  Prissy went to the other side of the box and sat down, staring at that ugly blob.  I pushed the sac toward her and said “come on, baby.  DO SOMETHING!”  She looked at me as if saying “YOU do it.  YOU wanted this”.  Finally, she sniffs it.  (Good, good...).  She puts her paw out, rolls rolls rolls that pup into the towel, noses it into the corner of the box, returns to her position on the other side.  “There you go, mom.  Took care of it for ya”.  Shaking, I cut the sac, wiped the puppy and massaged it to life.  And then I did that 3 more times.  (Minus the “burying” thing, she had zero interest in those pups).

We had to shut the garage door to make her nurse.  She HATED those puppies.  She was insulted.  What a bother!  One day, someone came to visit and I wanted to show them the pups.  I picked one up and Prissy tried to bite it.  Not ME; the puppy.  She was a TERRIBLE mother.  The books also said she would mourn them as they disappeared when we sold them.  HA!  We joked that she ran to the end of the driveway waving BYE BYE!!!  SEE YA!!!

Happy - you tell it better than me but we had an American Eskimo we bred once and same deal. She wanted zero to do with the puppies and we had to hold her down to nurse them. She never paid the first lick of attention. We gave the pick of the litter to the parents of the male and sold the rest and had her spayed too. It was a long time,ago but we still talk about it. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

I have never been dissed my a dog but my cat has given me the finger, sitting down back to you,tail straight up in the air.

• Love 9

For insurance, I vote for State Farm. I've used them the entire time I've been driving (about 11 years) and never had issues. They were good-natured about covering the windshield damage I sustained from a turkey earlier this year. 

I'd appreciate happy thoughts for my grandfather. I've mentioned on here before that my grandparents helped raise me. Today, my grandfather's shoulder popped out of place. He's had trouble with his shoulders for years and had surgery on the other one about 20 years ago. He was told 5 years ago he needed surgery on this one but opted out. Anyway, I drove him and my grandmother to the ER (a lot of negotiating took place to even talk him into going) this evening. He's home now with his arm in a sling and is in a lot less pain than he was, but he could end up having surgery. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Zella said:

For insurance, I vote for State Farm. I've used them the entire time I've been driving (about 11 years) and never had issues. They were good-natured about covering the windshield damage I sustained from a turkey earlier this year. 

I'd appreciate happy thoughts for my grandfather. I've mentioned on here before that my grandparents helped raise me. Today, my grandfather's shoulder popped out of place. He's had trouble with his shoulders for years and had surgery on the other one about 20 years ago. He was told 5 years ago he needed surgery on this one but opted out. Anyway, I drove him and my grandmother to the ER (a lot of negotiating took place to even talk him into going) this evening. He's home now with his arm in a sling and is in a lot less pain than he was, but he could end up having surgery. 

Please get a second opinion before your granddad gets any shoulder surgery. Mr. Dance, a senior, dislocated his shoulder last year. We were told by several surgeons that they really do NOT recommend shoulder surgery for seniors as it doesn’t tend to attach properly due to the condition of the aging tissues where they have to pin it. It often fails. But he has been faithful doing physical therapy rehab and it is much better. He will never have full movement or strength, but he definitely can use it for most things not requiring his arm to reach completely overhead. Of course, your granddad’s condition may be completely different, but I suggest asking about the success rate they expect if it is recommended. So sorry he is going through this, and I hope he gets relief one way or another.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

Please get a second opinion before your granddad gets any shoulder surgery. Mr. Dance, a senior, dislocated his shoulder last year. We were told by several surgeons that they really do NOT recommend shoulder surgery for seniors as it doesn’t tend to attach properly due to the condition of the aging tissues where they have to pin it. It often fails. But he has been faithful doing physical therapy rehab and it is much better. He will never have full movement or strength, but he definitely can use it for most things not requiring his arm to reach completely overhead. Of course, your granddad’s condition may be completely different, but I suggest asking about the success rate they expect if it is recommended. So sorry he is going through this, and I hope he gets relief one way or another.

Thank you! I appreciate it! :)

We are all really hoping he doesn't need surgery, and if he could do therapy instead, that would be great. (His physical therapist from 20 years ago is still around, and they got along well.)

My grandfather turned 80 this June. He's still pretty spry for his age, but I've definitely noticed a decline in his abilities the past several years. I'm concerned about how he'd bounce back from a major surgery. He's supposed to get an appointment for a consultation soon--hopefully, this week. 

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Awww...thanks for asking! I'd post pictures of her all day long if I wasn't afraid of appearing to be an attention-hound. I know I'm just a typically biased grandma, but I really do think she is exceptionally cute! LOL. Here's her 7-month picture in a slightly early Halloween costume as Belle. Turned out she hated the fuss and ruffles, so she ended up in a baby-bear outfit for the actual day to help hand out candy. She just loves new people! Looks as though she's going to be a real extrovert like her dad rather than an introvert like my daughter and me. 

45082880_10100912801835026_8331557300867170304_n.jpg

45099203_10100912801919856_3386737087632900096_n - Copy.jpg

45098220_10100913362092266_2793107100484501504_n.jpg

Such a cutie!

• Love 8

On Are They All Yours Facebook, (Steve Anderson and Szuszuszu's page), their young teenager made a YouTube video of himself "saving" a sinful murderer.

On Rodrigues Family Ministries Facebook, their teenaged son is "preaching" to very frail, elderly people in a nursing home.

What stood out to me, besides the bad content, was the extremely cotton mouthed mumble jumble of each boy's speech.  I actually had a hard time understanding what they were trying to say.

The Rodrigues boy was especially cringe worthy.

The Anderson boy was smug like his awful dad.

Edited by louannems

@Jynnan tonnix Thank you so much for sharing her pictures & glad I asked.  She is definitely a cutie & you have reason to be proud of her.  I love her expression on the picture of her in the bear costume.  It's like she is thinking "I can't believe you expect me to wear this suit."

• Love 5

I collect vintage Fiesta. Gentrification has throttled my neighborhood and most likely the potential buyers of my building will displace me. Grieving big time...have been here 27 years and live it. Add worrying about finding a place woth the space to display some of my Fiesta and I am a wreck. Does not help that insane medical xo pays has left me with nada....no money to relocate on. I am basically on the verge of a breakdown.

• Love 11
11 minutes ago, dorcastrilling said:

I collect vintage Fiesta. Gentrification has throttled my neighborhood and most likely the potential buyers of my building will displace me. Grieving big time...have been here 27 years and live it. Add worrying about finding a place woth the space to display some of my Fiesta and I am a wreck. Does not help that insane medical xo pays has left me with nada....no money to relocate on. I am basically on the verge of a breakdown.

Try to take a deep breath. Nothing has happened...yet. I’m sorry to hear about your situation and forced move. It’s never easy but when you don’t want to go...that’s the worst. I hope for you that it doesn’t happen. I hate hearing that your medical expenses have put you in this situation but hope that you got better health out of it. My fingers are crossed for a better outcome. 

• Love 10
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Such a cutie!

5 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Awww...thanks for asking! I'd post pictures of her all day long if I wasn't afraid of appearing to be an attention-hound. I know I'm just a typically biased grandma, but I really do think she is exceptionally cute! LOL. Here's her 7-month picture in a slightly early Halloween costume as Belle. Turned out she hated the fuss and ruffles, so she ended up in a baby-bear outfit for the actual day to help hand out candy. She just loves new people! Looks as though she's going to be a real extrovert like her dad rather than an introvert like my daughter and me. 

Love her chipmunk cheeks! I love that on a baby!

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

So cute!

Oh gee @Nysha  I’m so sorry to hear that foul play is suspected by the police and that it’s pulling your family apart. Losing your sister and watching the division in the family must be very painful for you. You have my heartfelt sympathy. I hold hope that someone, somewhere remembers seeing the truck and it helps the case get solved. It may be an unhappy ending but in some ways it’s better than never knowing. I’m so sorry. 

• Love 14
10 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Oh gee @Nysha  I’m so sorry to hear that foul play is suspected by the police and that it’s pulling your family apart. Losing your sister and watching the division in the family must be very painful for you. You have my heartfelt sympathy. I hold hope that someone, somewhere remembers seeing the truck and it helps the case get solved. It may be an unhappy ending but in some ways it’s better than never knowing. I’m so sorry. 

coming out of lurkdom to say,  this ^^^^^exactly.  my heart goes out to you.

• Love 10

I am so sorry Nysha.  I was thinking about you, your sister, and your family this weekend.  I'm sorry to read your latest update.  I had Tweeted the link about 2 weeks ago, and I reposted this latest update on my Facebook page.  You never know who could know someone...Please know you're all in my thoughts and prayers.  Take care.

• Love 9
On 11/4/2018 at 1:11 PM, ChiCricket said:

Love her chipmunk cheeks! I love that on a baby!

Gorgeous! 

On 11/5/2018 at 8:44 AM, Nysha said:

Here is the latest news report on my sister: Laura Johnson 

My dysfunctional family is playing their favorite version of family feud, so some of the background information is incorrect. Laura's sons, Stephan and Jonathan, hadn't talked to their mother in years because they resented her for divorcing their father. They are also angry with my parents, so they left out the part where Laura had lived with them for the last year before moving to Spokane for 2 months to live with our sister and then moving to Billings to be with Greg. My mom also called the police in Billings on the 18th of September because she had not talked to Laura since 10th and it was unusual for Laura to go that long without talking to her. My mom thought she was making a missing person's report, but all the police did was make a welfare check and took the boyfriend's side when he said that Laura was a drug addict who frequently took off.

Stephan and his girlfriend made the police report on September 28 because the Billings police department told my mom that the report had to be made by a family member in person and she & my dad had to wait until their SS checks came on October 3 to make the trip. My parents spent 2 weeks in Billings, working with a local search & rescue group who has been putting up flyers and talking to businesses and trucking companies about Laura. None of this was mentioned because Laura's sons are angry that my parents butting into THEIR family business. They even tried to convince the Billings police department not to talk to my parents, but thankfully they weren't successful. 

Just the fact that Laura is missing and probably dead is so stressful for my parents, but having to deal with the disrespect and hostility from her sons is doubling the mental anguish. 

I am so very sorry. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

Question for @doodlebug:  my work colleague’s daughter is pregnant and was told at her ultrasound today that her baby (male) has an extra collective sac in one of his kidneys. How concerned should they be?  

Sorry, I’m not sure what that means.  The good thing about kidneys, though, is that there are two of them, so a problem with  one kidney doesn’t usually affect overall renal function.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Sorry, I’m not sure what that means.  The good thing about kidneys, though, is that there are two of them, so a problem with  one kidney doesn’t usually affect overall renal function.

That is actually reassuring. If it was a big worry I’m sure you’d know about it. Thanks so much. 

39 minutes ago, latetotheparty said:

That is actually reassuring. If it was a big worry I’m sure you’d know about it. Thanks so much. 

When I was expecting my son, after the gender determining ultrasound they told us that our son only had one kidney ("unilateral renal agenesis" I think). After he was born, they found his second kidney hiding in his lower abdomen, by his bladder. It was at about 1% function in his infancy, and it is up to 30% now...so based on my single experience, kidneys seem pretty resilient!!

• Love 8
On 11/7/2018 at 12:06 AM, doodlebug said:

My husband has limited function in one of his kidneys & didn't find out about it til later in life. 

is there a way to share a photo from my phone to here? jynnan's granddaughter pic ha me REALLY wanting to share one of mine she is about the same age (born in jan 2018) and so precious.  any hints on how to do this?

btw, i am losing the gaming battle with my grandson -- its a long story but suffice that i am losing.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, zoomama said:

is there a way to share a photo from my phone to here? jynnan's granddaughter pic ha me REALLY wanting to share one of mine she is about the same age (born in jan 2018) and so precious.  any hints on how to do this?

btw, i am losing the gaming battle with my grandson -- its a long story but suffice that i am losing.

Click in the reply box, then click on click to choose files, shown in my first screenshot, then on photo library, shown in the second screenshot. That will take you to your saved pictures. Click what you want to post.

Good thoughts going your way.

F144A902-E63A-4858-AB0E-54FD03DABB8D.png

230CC27A-E95A-4527-AF5F-6FE59B11752D.png