Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, peppergal said:

Also, I'd urge everyone who has gotten the vaccine recently (within the last 6 weeks) to register with vsafe.  It is a program run by the CDC to collect side effect and other information.  You do a daily check in with them to let them know how you are feeling.  This allows you to give back to the community a little bit by giving the CDC a larger database of information to judge reactions and adjust their recommendations.  It is all automated through your smart phone.  They won't actually call you unless something in your check in is so concerning they feel that you need to see your doctor immediately. 

I signed up for it after I got my first shot last month, and it is very easy to use! 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

My private child, the one with multiple health issues, is going in for surgery in a couple of hours. It never gets easier and this has been a particularly rough year for him. Thoughts and prayers would be greatly appreciated.

Prayers for your son, the doctors and his parents too.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

My private child, the one with multiple health issues, is going in for surgery in a couple of hours. It never gets easier and this has been a particularly rough year for him. Thoughts and prayers would be greatly appreciated.

Sending prayers your way.  Thinking of you during this tough time.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

You have mine too. 

• Love 11
11 hours ago, rue721 said:

I went to see a house tonight after work, and loved it... got home and pulled up the listing to see the photos again and now it says “under contact”! This house hunting stuff is impossible, every house goes under contract literally within a day! I never even have the chance to see them! 🤦🏻‍♀️ Have you all had to deal with this before? On the one hand, I don’t need to buy one literally this minute, but on the other, this pace is completely nuts.

From what I understand, the housing market in many cities is really hot right now.  My neighbors decided to downsize last year (they're in their 80's and had lived there 50+ years).  They contacted a realtor who knew a young couple looking for a house in the neighborhood because they'd grown up there.  The realtor sent the couple the photos and they made an offer without a walk-through.  The house was sold before it ever hit the listings.  They put up a 'for sale' sign with the 'sold' banner already in place.

Cleveland is known for affordable housing and the real estate market is generally full of options, but, apparently inventory has been low and stories like the one above have become more common.  I live in a nice residential neighborhood with beautiful old homes that have been well maintained.  The school system is terrific, the lake is right there and it is minutes to downtown.  For the last several months, not a week goes by that I don't get a message from a realtor wanting to know if I want to sell.  Houses here are currently selling ABOVE asking price, which used to never happen.

I think the best option is to find a realtor that you like and trust and tell them specifically what you are looking for in a home.  Then, hope that they will get a line on a house before it enters the market so you can swoop in and scoop it up before anyone else knows about it.

• Love 10
55 minutes ago, emma675 said:

GeeGolly, prayers for your son and his medical team. Let us know how he's doing.

Will do.

Dropping your kid, even your in his 30s, adult kid, at the door is tough. Now its wait, wonder, hope and distract time.

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Will do.

Dropping your kid, even your in his 30s, adult kid, at the door is tough. Now its wait, wonder, hope and distract time.

Hugs.

You could whip up some Empty Pocket Yellow Angel Eggs as a distraction.  😉

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, rue721 said:

I went to see a house tonight after work, and loved it... got home and pulled up the listing to see the photos again and now it says “under contact”! This house hunting stuff is impossible, every house goes under contract literally within a day! I never even have the chance to see them! 🤦🏻‍♀️ Have you all had to deal with this before? On the one hand, I don’t need to buy one literally this minute, but on the other, this pace is completely nuts.

Two of my friends are house hunting in the Chicago area right now and say the same thing. Things are going like HOT CAKES. One friend is buying with her husband, and the husband said he didnt even need to see it in person, he would look at listings with her, but if she saw it in person and liked it, just sign.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, rue721 said:

The market here has been bananas for over a year, completely bonkers the past give months or so.   Rule of thumb here is houses under 250, expect to pay 40k above asking to be the winning bidder.   Above 250k the bonus varies widely depending on how high the price bracket of the home is.    

My daughter is a sr. mortgage underwriter for a wholesale mortgage company and she said much of the country is experiencing serious shortage of houses on the market and premiums on asking are the norm these days.   Most of the time people are paying these premiums out of pocket because the houses are not appraising anywhere near the agreed purchase price.   I'd have to be stupidly flush with cash AND desperate to make a move to step into a deal like that.   At some point values are bound to revert to norms when supply picks up.   I'd hate like hell to be caught in a house I paid above value for and have to sell at a loss to make another move.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

You've got mine. ❤️

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

It's the same here in Dallas. There was actually a lead story last week on one of our news stations about two women getting into a fistfight over a listing, it's ridiculous. I get phone calls, texts, letters dropped in my mailbox from realtors and real estate companies almost every week wondering if I want to sell. I feel like I'm being stalked sometimes, My neighborhood is centrally located in the city, close to a lake and downtown, and was built in the 1940s and 1950s, so it's got that older charm and mature trees. I was lucky to buy years ago when it was a buyer's market, I'm not sure I could afford my own house now. 

• Love 7
On 3/31/2021 at 4:08 PM, Absolom said:

I was at the doctor's office in January and they had added a depression screen to the visit process.  We had a little laugh about it and then the doctor who is still relatively new to me mainly due to the pandemic starting two months after he replaced my doctor of 30 plus years asked me really how was I doing and coping.  I think it's a good thing to give the discussion a beginning. 

Who would have thought a chronic medical condition could be a good thing in a pandemic?  It's forced me out to see doctors and allowed me to see family and a caregiver for the help I've needed.  

My large HMO has been asking the screening questions for depression and mental health for many years.

Until my MIL went into a nursing home, I always handled all of her doctor appointments. In addition to the usual questions about depression, she would also be asked if anyone was trying to steal her money and if anyone was hurting her.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Zella said:

@GeeGolly I hope your son's surgery goes well! Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers today. 

Same from me GeeGolly!  Sending well wishes and keeping you all in prayer.  I’ll look forward to an update whenever you are able.  I know this must be so stressful.  Take care. 

• Love 8

@GeeGolly I hope your son's surgery goes well! I'm sure it does him good to know you're there for him, even if he's private and you can't physically be close.

The housing market is completely insane, but it's honestly a blessing in disguise that I haven't been able to snag the houses that I've seen so far. They've had a lot of good points, but they're not actually in the best location for me, and at least the crazy market has kept me from being too impulsive. I've been talking to people from the area recently and now I think I can also focus my search more on a specific area and a specific kind of house, which I really didn't have the local knowledge to do before. I've also been actively looking for less than a week -- it's OK if I'm forced to slow my roll a bit 😂 Luckily, there are gorgeous houses in pretty and convenient neighborhoods in my price range, and I'll just have to keep an eye out and act quickly when those houses show up on the market. It's actually surprising to me that I've got as much choice as I do, because my price range isn't that high -- but after seeing some of what's out there, I've decided to be more hopeful and have higher standards 😂 I've got time, too, because I'm OK closing anytime before late June or so, and nowadays closing is only 21 days anyway 😳 This house-hunting business is stressful but it's also kind of fun, and I'm hopeful that by the end, I'll have an awesome house to live in!

• Love 7
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I think the best option is to find a realtor that you like and trust and tell them specifically what you are looking for in a home.  Then, hope that they will get a line on a house before it enters the market so you can swoop in and scoop it up before anyone else knows about it.

I second this advice, @rue721. When we knew we were leaving Nashville, we had lined up showings for six houses in mid-Feb. Then we got Covid at the end of January. By the time we were able to reschedule and come up, all but one were under contract, and the one we did see had clearly been very strategically photographed. Like finding out your date looks nothing like the pictures on the app. LOL. Anyway, the realtor we had contacted let us know a house that was coming on the market the next day that fit what we were looking for. It ended up being The One. We live in a rural area in the Midwest now, not a big city. The realtor said she hasn't seen anything like it. The market was dead for months, and then BOOM.

• Useful 4

I had to have the plumbers out to my house again this week because I kept smelling something off and wanted to double check that it wasn't another gas leak. Turns out, it wasn't, but it was worse. The toilet in my guest bathroom has been leaking for who knows how long and because I'm in a house with pier and beam foundation, it was leaking into the subfloor and under the house so I never saw the leak. Now the whole floor has to be ripped up, the subfloor rot has to be repaired, and then it all has to be retiled. I'm not thrilled but it's a small bathroom so hopefully it won't be too ridiculously expensive. And I think I'm going to pick out new tile and do something fun instead of just replacing the old travertine tile. But still, ugh, and So. Gross.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I had to have the plumbers out to my house again this week because I kept smelling something off and wanted to double check that it wasn't another gas leak. Turns out, it wasn't, but it was worse. The toilet in my guest bathroom has been leaking for who knows how long and because I'm in a house with pier and beam foundation, it was leaking into the subfloor and under the house so I never saw the leak. Now the whole floor has to be ripped up, the subfloor rot has to be repaired, and then it all has to be retiled. I'm not thrilled but it's a small bathroom so hopefully it won't be too ridiculously expensive. And I think I'm going to pick out new tile and do something fun instead of just replacing the old travertine tile. But still, ugh, and So. Gross.

Oh yikes and yuck! 

There are so many fun tiles out there now, and with a small bathroom you can be a little more risky.

• Love 9

My son and 22-weeks pregnant DIL began house-hunting south of Denver.  They made an offer on a home last weekend.  Another couple got the house with a similarly priced offer, because they waived an inspection!  My son's agent (and my husband and I) think that is crazy to buy a house without an inspection being a contingency.  

Then yesterday, one of the homes they saw, which they liked more, fell out of contract because the prospective buyers couldn't qualify for the financing.  The only reason our son and daughter-in-law didn't make an offer on that one originally was they were told the incoming offer was very competitive.  They made an offer for it that was $45K over asking and got the house.  

It's a beautiful home, and I understand why they would pay up.  They want to move in before the baby comes in August, and they would go crazy dealing with this hot market, always just missing out.  They are lucky they could afford to pay over asking.

• Love 13

The housing market is crazy. The work from home pivot due to the pandemic has many folks moving. 

I'll pass on the wise house hunting advice my dad gave me. Being 'house poor' is no fun. Banks tend to over qualify borrowers. And always try to own the cheapest house on the street.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Our son is in recovery, still sleeping, hopefully we can pick him up sometime in the next couple of hours. Thank you all for you thoughts, prayers and support. 

Wonderful news! ❤️

• Love 6

GeeGolly, I can understand how you'd be worried and want to be there, but also relieved that he will have 2/47 medical supervision. I hope he's able to get a good night's sleep and can come home tomorrow. 

• Love 18
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

So, my son's MD just called. Twice. Long story short, due to some minor complications they'll be keeping him overnight. Half of me is worried and the other half is relieved.

I hope you're able to take the opportunity to get a really good night's sleep tonight.  You've earned the rest.

• Love 14

I recently bought a new house in a new subdivision that was still being built.  I had a choice of lots, and it took about 6 months for my house to be completed. Within 2 weeks of my lot purchase, all of the rest of the lots were spoken for.  They are just now starting on some of the homes, so buyers after me are waiting up to a year for their house.  Everything is sold, with a long waiting list in case someone backs out.  It's crazy.  My friends that live not too far away in an older area told me a house down the street from them just sold for $300 a square foot.  That's very high for this area.  I guess I'm lucky I bought when I did!!

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

It just saddens and sickens me that so many Americans have become homeless this year, and yet some others are buying new home. So much income inequality, especially after the last year.

It's going to get even worse when the eviction moratorium ends. 😢

So glad your son is out of surgery and resting, @GeeGolly. I think them keeping him overnight may be a blessing in disguise. Several of my relatives were sent home from the hospital too soon (in my non-medical opinion) and a night in the hospital with the medical team caring for them would have been so helpful.

Please let us know how he’s doing. You are all in my thoughts tonight.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, Love2dance said:

So glad your son is out of surgery and resting, @GeeGolly. I think them keeping him overnight may be a blessing in disguise. Several of my relatives were sent home from the hospital too soon (in my non-medical opinion) and a night in the hospital with the medical team caring for them would have been so helpful.

Please let us know how he’s doing. You are all in my thoughts tonight.

Thank you and everyone else for the support. He's doing a little better this morning. No one has discussed discharge with him yet. I woke up finding myself more content with him being hospitalized and I'm actually hoping they keep him one more day.

• Love 24

No matter the age when our kids are in the hospital it's always stressful - good thoughts to him for a quick recovery GeeGolly.  A day or two inpatient or observation is a good thing, he'll be monitored closely.  I also hate when people are sent home too soon.  After being inpatient for a hysterectomy I don't know how women have it done outpatient and go home after.  Please keep us updated on how he's doing.

I had my annual OBGYN feel ya up visit this past week, and am now on the Zoloft side of the street.  It's low dosage and my first real constant happy pill other than the fun stuff I took for MRI and ER visits and various knee/back problems.  Sometimes even though you think you are treading water really you are in with the salmon doing the upstream tango with a couple of friendly seeming bears waiting for you.  HOLY SHIT was the first one I took awful, I was stupid and took it right before bed, and experienced the most horrible heartburn, I was up half the night with it.  AWFUL!  Now I'm trying out the afternoon, eating lunch with it and that seems to be much better.  Now we'll just see a couple of weeks from now if my mood elevates.  Bless the Mini Malotte, my husband mentioned to her that he didn't know why I was getting a psych drug and she ripped him a new one and said I should have been on 'this kind of shit five years ago' and told him to get over himself, among a few other choice things I shouldn't repeat.  There's moments when I think with my parenting 'oh I should have done this, she'd be more/less' whatever, but I did at least one thing right, she doesn't take garbage from anyone, least of all her father.     

So to all - I wish you a very hoppy happy pagan egg day!    

• Love 20
51 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

No matter the age when our kids are in the hospital it's always stressful - good thoughts to him for a quick recovery GeeGolly.  A day or two inpatient or observation is a good thing, he'll be monitored closely.  I also hate when people are sent home too soon.  After being inpatient for a hysterectomy I don't know how women have it done outpatient and go home after.  Please keep us updated on how he's doing.

I had my annual OBGYN feel ya up visit this past week, and am now on the Zoloft side of the street.  It's low dosage and my first real constant happy pill other than the fun stuff I took for MRI and ER visits and various knee/back problems.  Sometimes even though you think you are treading water really you are in with the salmon doing the upstream tango with a couple of friendly seeming bears waiting for you.  HOLY SHIT was the first one I took awful, I was stupid and took it right before bed, and experienced the most horrible heartburn, I was up half the night with it.  AWFUL!  Now I'm trying out the afternoon, eating lunch with it and that seems to be much better.  Now we'll just see a couple of weeks from now if my mood elevates.  Bless the Mini Malotte, my husband mentioned to her that he didn't know why I was getting a psych drug and she ripped him a new one and said I should have been on 'this kind of shit five years ago' and told him to get over himself, among a few other choice things I shouldn't repeat.  There's moments when I think with my parenting 'oh I should have done this, she'd be more/less' whatever, but I did at least one thing right, she doesn't take garbage from anyone, least of all her father.     

So to all - I wish you a very hoppy happy pagan egg day!    

If you need it and your doctor ordered it take it and I hope it helps.

Many years ago my old country doctor was treating my anxiety with hormones.  He said I was in menopause and he gave me hormone pills and a series of I think three hormone shots!

I'd feel good for a while then boom.

He retired and the new doctor have me a round then mentioned he'd like to give me something else for my symptoms.  He gave me a small dose of Xanax.  It changed my life!

I no longer took any hormones.  I didn't leave carts behind when I had to leave the grocery store.  I could comfortably wait for street lights to change.  I could travel in a car and not worry I'd want out!

Xanax and my new doctor, now going on 27 years changed my life!

I hope you will feel just as good in time.  Hugs.

• Love 17
(edited)

Happy Easter!  Happy Spring!  The sun is shining and the daffodils and tulips are blooming.  Glorious!

Flowers-040121-6 (3).jpg

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 20
(edited)
1 hour ago, louannems said:

I finally got my second Moderna shot yesterday, one week late.  I'm having a nice day on the couch, bundled up in wool and fleece, while shivering from a bit of a fever.  I'm so glad it's finished and I know I'll be fine by tomorrow.  I even indulged myself in buying an eight dollar bath bomb, formulated specifically for muscle aches.  Looking forward to that scalding hot bath tonight.

I had my second Moderna shot yesterday as well. My whole arm hurts, and I just feel achy and tired, like I have a mild case of the flu. I had a bad night; could not sleep and had fever and chills. I am up and about today, just laying low. Trying to nap but puppy is having none of that. But, truthfully, the side effects were much less severe than I was expecting! So no complaints from me!

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Love 23