Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

@beckie, I am so sorry you went through this. I know you did what you hoped would give the pup her best chance. I have heard lately of two other puppies dying of Parvo, and their owners are broken hearted, just like you. I really hope that later, when you are in a better better place financially, you can bring a new, healthy puppy into your home.

Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 13
17 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Okay, people, this is interesting. I've been contacted by the Neilsen ratings people and invited to become a participant

I did the Neilsen thing years and years ago...but you had to hand-write everything you watched on a daily form.

I noped out after only a month...what a PITA! 

I watch a LOT of TV, and was too honest not to fill the whole dang form out every time.  (because they sent me cash money too...that's how they "get you".)  

Ps I was reading posts out of order when I posted this..sorry you had to give up your pup, @beckie 😢

😂<<<---anyone know how to get rid of emojiis on here that you regret?

I never can get them gone

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 1

Oh, Beckie, I am so sad for you. Parvo is a terrible disease and few puppies survive it even with hospitalization. Because it’s a virus there isn’t much they can do other than keep them hydrated and sedated.

I am a former vech tech and can tell you that the bills for parvo were high and often it just meant it bought a few more days. There’s a huge demand for dogs right now, especially puppies, and as a result of greedy or uninformed breeders rushing out litters,  contagious diseases are surging.

You did the right thing for her. I am just so sorry this happened.

ETA: Parvo can last in your house and yard for a long time. In case you have other unvaccinated dogs that might visit you, here’s a link about that.

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/How-to-Kill-the-Parvo-Virus-from-your-Dogs-Environment

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Useful 9
  • Love 4

One last thing on the vet topic...if anyone else is in a similar situation being unable to get into a vet for vaccinations, especially with young dogs, PM me. You can buy single doses of most vaccines online or at Tractor Supply and I can try to walk you through how to administer them. The exception is rabies, which legally needs to be administered under a vet’s supervision in most states.

There are risks involved in giving any vaccine, so it’s best to let your vet do it. But if you can’t get to one, again, particularly with younger dogs and puppies, it’s an alternative.

• Useful 6
  • Love 3

Also at least where I live the county animal control office gives rabies vaccinations pretty much at cost.   It was $10 and done while I was filling out and paying for his three year registration.  I can afford to have the vet do it, but why drive to the vet and wait and pay $30 to take the certificate the other direction and wait?   I am fortunate that the area animal control office is as close to my house as the vet is just in opposite directions.  Plus the dog really enjoyed his visit.  They have a pet friendly grass and interest area and you can walk the dog outside the large animal pens if doggie is well behaved.  He loved the field trip.  

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, beckie said:

The people that picked her up on Saturday were nice enough to let us know that she passed away. I'm so sad.

Beckie I am so very sorry. It’s heartbreaking. 

This morning I woke up, did a 2mile Walk Away the Pounds video on YouTube. I feel good! I’m doing that for two weeks just to get my stamina back up and then I will increase intensity. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, beckie said:

The people that picked her up on Saturday were nice enough to let us know that she passed away. I'm so sad.

Be kind to yourself, yes? Parvo is a devastating disease. Sometimes even vaccinated pups get it because in the first months there’s a juggling act between puppies still having maternal antibodies to the disease, which makes the vaccine ineffective, and vaccinating them as soon as the maternal antibodies decline. It’s why responsible breeders do two rounds of vaccines before eight/nine weeks, recommend another at twelve (and some more susceptible breeds, like Rotties, even again at sixteen weeks) and then boosters at one year. I have read that the mortality rate in young dogs with Parvo is estimated at 97%.

You gave her the best life you could and were brave enough to do what was best for her at the end. 

9E1745D2-AA05-4D90-AA32-933999429951.gif

• Love 17

@beckie I'm so sorry, that's heartbreaking. You did the best you could for her, even when it was incredibly hard.

Poor little doggie, but at least she had you caring for her and looking out for her.

What was her name?

Edited by rue721
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, rue721 said:

@beckie I'm so sorry, that's heartbreaking. You did the best you could for her, even when it was incredibly hard.

Poor little doggie, but at least she had you caring for her and looking out for her.

What was her name?

Her name was Baby Girl. She was very loved.

• Love 8

I'm so sorry for your loss Beckie.  It's heartbreaking to lose a pet that way. 

I wanted to report back on my experiment of how online business tracks people.  So, I didn't tell anyone what product I was going to look at in the store.  I didn't take any photos of it nor did I google it.  I didn't buy one nor did I ask anyone in a store about them.  I only walked up to the items on some shelves, picked them up, tried to smell them, which was difficult due to having a mask on, but, I tried.  lol  I then put them down and made other purchases, but, not those items.  I was in Big Lots.  That was yesterday.  Today, I opened up my Amazon online account page and guess what's the main item taking up the entire page?  You guessed it.  Scented Candles! AND, the same type scent of the ones I had looked at!!!!!  This is so weird!  lol  What is the logical explanation? 

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

@SunnyBeBe, that is pretty creepy. I would love to know the explanation for how the Amazon account knew what you were shopping for. Good detective work!

The only thing that makes sense to me, is that the store has some kind of device that sends off signals when you are nearby that isle.  So, my phone picked up on it and sent the signal of scented candles.  How I they knew the fragrance....I suppose that was just coincidental.  NOW, my next experiment.  I'm going to turn my phone OFF and see what happens with a new item.  Top secret.  I won't google it, talk about it or anything else until I go into the store.  I'm going to use the same location to keep it consistent. 

Oh, I wanted to send props to Big Lots for such great customer service yesterday.  I had my arms full when the manager approached and asked me if I needed a cart.  I said, maybe, but, he said, I'll get it for you. Wait here.  He came back and said I have personally sanitized this basket.  Anything else? I said, well this rug has no price and the others didn't either. He took it and came back shortly with the price.  And, said, if you need anything else, just let us know!  I haven't had service that good in years!  It's a new store.  I'm impressed.  (Even if I am bring tracked. lol)

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • LOL 1
  • Love 16
18 minutes ago, rue721 said:

I feel like your phone may be picking up something having to do with the item's barcodes. But I'm not tech-savvy enough to have a more specific guess than that!

That's possible too.  I'm open to anything, as well as this being totally coincidental.....lol.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The only thing that makes sense to me, is that the store has some kind of device that sends off signals when you are nearby that isle.  So, my phone picked up on it and sent the signal of scented candles.  How I they knew the fragrance....I suppose that was just coincidental.  NOW, my next experiment.  I'm going to turn my phone OFF and see what happens with a new item.  Top secret.  I won't google it, talk about it or anything else until I go into the store.  I'm going to use the same location to keep it consistent. 

Oh, I wanted to send props to Big Lots for such great customer service yesterday.  I had my arms full when the manager approached and asked me if I needed a cart.  I said, maybe, but, he said, I'll get it for you. Wait here.  He came back and said I have personally sanitized this basket.  Anything else? I said, well this rug has no price and the others didn't either. He took it and came back shortly with the price.  And, said, if you need anything else, just let us know!  I haven't had service that good in years!  It's a new store.  I'm impressed.  (Even if I am bring tracked. lol)

Turn your phone off and make sure the WiFi/cellular connections are both off.

• Love 1

So sorry about your pupper, @beckie😢

Side note, (just for something lighter😊)

I'm not participating in trick or treating this year...but when I do, I'm always "The Legend"  😁

What about the rest of you? What would be your title?

Spoiler

Ps I hate that they named one category The Spaz..my brother has cerebral palsy, and always got called that when he was a kid.

FB_IMG_1603131608401.jpg.5ba29ea9c89b7e28e8649dc06350944d.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket
downer comment
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I'm not participating in trick or treating this year...but when I do, I'm always "The Legend"  😁

Ps I hate that they named one category The Spaz..my brother has cerebral palsy, and always got called that when he was a kid.😡

I'm in between The Legend and Cheapy McCheapface, we give out the mid-size candy. We always have a small bowl of Partypooper for any kids who don't do candy.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Reveal spoiler

Ps I hate that they named one category The Spaz..my brother has cerebral palsy, and always got called that when he was a kid.😡

I long to be The Legend, but alas, I am a lowly civil servant who has yet to win the lottery.   I did tell my mom though that I want one more Halloween before she sells the house to finally do it.  I do not plan on disclosing that piece of information to the new buyer.

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

Reveal spoiler

The trusty provider. 🥰

• Love 5

Before I left my old neighborhood, I splurged on Halloween and got super good candy. Not king size, but mid size.  So maybe Trusty Provider......lol. I would throw smaller stuff in as the night went on, if necessary to stretch it out, but it was tasty.  I found the little kids preferred the fruity stuff over chocolate.   I had a lot of trick or treaters every year. Mostly, neighborhood kids that walked over with their  parents before it got dark. I decorated and dressed up in some sort of get up. Even had  battery powered door mat that screamed when you stepped on it! Pumpkins, bats, etc. lots of fun.    I have photos around here somewhere.  Good memories.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
46 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I long to be The Legend, but alas, I am a lowly civil servant who has yet to win the lottery

I should clarify.   I can only afford to give out the good stuff, because I live in an unincorporated area with no sidewalks.  We're the on the very edge of our (non)town at the end of a  dead-end street!

In the 30 years I've lived here, I have never, ever gotten more than 20 kids come to my house.😁 (last year I got a measily THREE, and it was very  nice weather.)

I don't know about the rest of you, but my siblings and I  used to go out trick or treating for hours and hours (with a pillowcase to hold our loot.) 

The most fun was dumping it all out onto the carpet later and sorting everything into categories...then the candy trading would begin In earnest...😊

• Love 11

There is a missing category: The Greedy Grinch, who buys the good candy “for Halloween” but never hands it out, instead riding a sugar high from fun size candy bars for the entire month of October (and probably into November, assuming that I score he/she scores post-Halloween candy at Target). I mean, I’ve heard about those people.

My late, great cat Kitty Gunderson hated doorbells. She would hear one on TV and hide; Frazier and Domino’s Pizza commercials were the worse. On Halloween I had to put a big sign on the door to knock, not ring the bell, otherwise she would be a nervous wreck by the end of the night. She did like to watch all of the kids from the front window.

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Reveal spoiler

Ps I hate that they named one category The Spaz..my brother has cerebral palsy, and always got called that when he was a kid.

I still remember the Legend of my childhood block. Full sized candy bars every Halloween, and they always had Mr. Goodbars, which were my favorite.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Is there a “Bah, Humbug” category? As in, buys zero candy, turns lights facing street off, sedates Nervous Dog, sits in the dark and curses all holidays involving unexpected visitors and/or gratuitous loud noises?

You can come sit by me. 🙂 

I live in the middle of nowhere (on the same road I was raised on.) Nobody trick or treats here because you're walking at least a 1/2 mile between houses up and down steep hills on a dirt road, so it's just something I've never participated in on either side. (I've had to make that walk after getting a vehicle stuck in snow, and it's not one I desire to make for recreation.) And truthfully my inner introvert isn't interested in random strangers showing up at my door. When I lived in Fayetteville for grad school, I kept my outdoor light off for Halloween while I listened to Nick Cave and ate my own damn candy. It worked for me.

@beckie I'm so sorry about your dog. 😞 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 9

I quit doing Halloween at my house the night busloads showed up.  People drove up in buses, parked at the end of our street, and let loose the hordes.  One woman almost broke the steps in front of my house hauling a very overweight kid up them in a stroller.  I ran out to give the kid candy before she could keep dragging the stroller over the steps.  The kid tried to grab the whole bowl.  

That's when I went in the house and turned off the lights.  The rest of the horde on that particular bus beat on the door yelling at me until I yelled back that I called the police.  I quit Halloween that night unless I visit the grandchildren and go out with them.  I guess I'm definitely Bah Humbug.  Although I did make exception for the small neighborhood kids whose parents let me know they were on their way and they always showed up early.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Hide contents

Trusty Provider here!  I'm hoping to get some trick or treaters in spite of the pandemic.  I get fewer and fewer every year and now I don't know what to expect.

• Love 4

We live in a neighborhood near a popular street with restaurants, retail and a mix of other businesses. Every year they give out candy to trick or treaters, and many children are driven into our area to enjoy the treats and be part of the costume parade going up and down the street. When they are done with the business area, they fan out into our neighborhood’s houses. Some years we have had 150 to 200 little (and not so little) visitors. I just love it. The kids are so excited and I just adore their different reactions. They all say thank you, and you can tell that for some of them, getting the candy is like getting the biggest treasure. We get too many kids to be able to be generous “legends,” but they seem happy with the less than giant treats.
Sadly,  Halloween trick or treating is understandably being discouraged here as we always have huge crowds congregating together. It wouldn’t be safe, so the businesses are not participating. The local government is strongly suggesting that even local children do not trick or treat. I am so sad and feel so terrible for all the children who look forward to this tradition every year. I hope so much that they all will be able to find a fun, but safe, way to celebrate this year. 🎃👻🍁😥

• Love 5

The first year I lived here, I bought candy (The Trusted Provider) and no one showed up. The second year I bought a bag of cheap candy (Cheapy McCheapFace) and no one still came, so since then I've been Bah Humbug.  Kids leave our neighborhood to go trick or treating.  I have always loved seeing kids dressed up, but it makes sense now to go things more like Trunk or Treat or go through the mall or certain downtown areas that are doing Trick or Treating.  A few years  ago I was in Gatlinburg, TN on Halloween and I just sat there watching the kids walk by, that was fun. 

• Love 5

I love Halloween and Trick or Treating — loved it as a kid, and love giving out candy to Trick or Treaters now! I grew up in pretty dense suburban neighborhoods — blocks of rowhouses and garden apartments — where you have a ton of doors to knock on and tons of kids running around, it was always really fun. And now I live in a high rise complex filled with kids who go up and down the building every Halloween.

Still...usually I’m a Trusty Provider (and eat all the candy that I don’t give away — shhhhh) but this year I’m not doing Trick or Treaters. Just doesn’t seem safe in a pandemic. I’m not that worried about catching anything from them as I am about them catching it from each other and feeding an outbreak, so I don’t feel good encouraging it.

• Love 9

Growing up, trick or treat was on Halloween all day long.

Where I live now, surrounding communities come up with a mutual date. This year it will be on Halloween. Porch or path lights are on at participating houses, and it’s limited to 6p-8p. When my daughters were of trick or treat age, I’d carry a bag of candy and we’d give it out while we went around the neighborhood. Now with grandchildren, we do the same.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

not sure how halloween is working in our area this year. in the past we have had up to 100 kids. for several years a local church brought kids who were at the local homeless shelter and the domestic violence safe home to trick or treat here. Church folks gave everyone a 2 week notice that they were doing that and how many kid's they were expecting. so you could be prepared  they also asked for any used costumes in good condition so the kids could pick something they wanted.

we usually give the bags of chips and little bags of teddy grahams or animal crackers for the little kids. flaming hot cheetos are hit with the older kids.

• Love 8

When I first moved into my house I stocked up and did candy hand out at Halloween every year. My dog at the time loved the doorbell and loved meeting little kids dressed up, so it was a lot of fun. As time went by, a lot of the kids got bigger than me and some didn't even come by wearing costumes, just carrying pillowcases. Then the buses of kids from other parts of town started showing up and it just got out of control (I remember one lady carrying a newborn in a costume, "trick or treating" for the baby, good grief), so now I don't turn the lights on at all. It's sad, but I got really uncomfortable answering the door to complete strangers and my current dog is not a fan of the doorbell. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This year there will only be one trick or treater and that's my niece, which is normal.  I'm not sure it will be legal in our state to go randomly out house to house.  I can see why. 

I have not heard that Gov. Cooper has banned trick-or-treating statewide.  From what I can gather, the official position is to discourage it.  At least in my county, the cops will be too busy trying to limit the amount of drunk college kids in the streets on Halloween to worry about trick-or-treating.

• Useful 4

When I was a teen, we lived in a condo development with about 200 units and a bunch of kids.  The surrounding area had a lot of homes set well back from the road with few sidewalks.  People used to drop their kids off in our subdivision so they could hit a hundred or more houses in short order since door-to-door trick or treating wasn't feasible in many areas.  I can remember my dad keeping count and we'd get up to 300 trick or treaters.  So many that my dad would have us go through our bags and 're-distribute' any candy we didn't like.  You could do stuff like that in the early 70's and not worry about it too much.

I live in a residential area with a lot of kids; I usually get 75-100 trick or treaters.  I'm not expecting many this year, though.  My neighbors on either side have young kids and I imagine they'll bring them over to my yard so I can see their costumes, but we'll keep socially distant.  I am thinking of building one of these, though, it looks like fun:

LIFE-ATHOME-CORONAVIRUS-HDY-HALLOWEEN-CHUTES-2-TB-768x512.jpg

Edited by doodlebug
  • LOL 2
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have not heard that Gov. Cooper has banned trick-or-treating statewide.  From what I can gather, the official position is to discourage it.  At least in my county, the cops will be too busy trying to limit the amount of drunk college kids in the streets on Halloween to worry about trick-or-treating.

I'm in NC too.  You must be in Pitt, Orange, Durham or Wake County.  Just guessing based on the drunk college student part. lol 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2