Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

It seems like I always do the Sunday good news a day late...
Our anniversary was last Monday. We have these awesome dog sitters...a young married couple that love dogs, but also love to pick up and go when they want, so this is how they scratch their canine itch. They adore our chihuahua, and he loves it there. So we booked them for a couple days, and my husband arranged a lovely B&B out in the mountains. It was a great time of seeing pretty things and generally avoiding people.

• Love 22
40 minutes ago, emma675 said:

zoomama, how scary! I'm glad you are feeling better and the surgery is behind you now. Hopefully your recovery is smooth from here on out.

I had my eyelid stitches removed this morning and y'all, it hurt. I think it was the worst part of the entire thing. I have a high pain tolerance but something about clipping and pulling sutures in that area was really painful. But everything looks good and the bruising is fading pretty quickly. 

Hope everyone's week is going good so far.

Good for you.  I've had eyelid surgery 3 times and it's a lot more than they lead you to believe.  Glad you're doing well.  

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Good for you.  I've had eyelid surgery 3 times and it's a lot more than they lead you to believe.  Glad you're doing well.  

Right?! It was only two small areas of work and stitches and I was only under for about 45 minutes, yet it kicked my ass. I finally started feeling better on Saturday, but I still have restrictions for another week (no working out, no bending forward from the waist, no lifting anything over 5 pounds). Plus, I can't do yoga for another 5 weeks since so many of the poses put pressure on the eye muscles. It's a little annoying but I'm trying to be a good patient. 

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Right?! It was only two small areas of work and stitches and I was only under for about 45 minutes, yet it kicked my ass. I finally started feeling better on Saturday, but I still have restrictions for another week (no working out, no bending forward from the waist, no lifting anything over 5 pounds). Plus, I can't do yoga for another 5 weeks since so many of the poses put pressure on the eye muscles. It's a little annoying but I'm trying to be a good patient. 

I'm glad you were under. I was for my first eyelid surgery and though I was very groggy afterwards, it beat my second surgery where I had light sedation, which means nothing.....I didn't fully explore light sedation, but, I was fully awake and not even numb. I had to verbally request local to numb the areas. I would say, it was rather painful.  Not even relaxed.  Then, since the light sedation was a joke, I opted for a local only when I had my third surgery, which was a revision of  one eyelid.  It didn't hurt any worse than the light sedation, though.  lol   I iced a lot and had minimal bruising and swelling.  It'll be worth it though to keep calm until healed.  It was difficult to sleep on back only and slightly inclined. 

• Love 2

My dad had surgery on one of his eyelids. A lot of aftercare initially and the following days. He could not wait to have his stitches removed. Between being uncomfortable and itchy, he couldn't stop wondering if he was damaging his eye. All ended very well for him.

As I sort of mentioned above, I'm tired of shaving my legs standing up in the shower, and I rarely, rarely, rarely take baths. Do any of you all have any experience with electric shavers for legs?

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm glad you were under. I was for my first eyelid surgery and though I was very groggy afterwards, it beat my second surgery where I had light sedation, which means nothing.....I didn't fully explore light sedation, but, I was fully awake and not even numb. I had to verbally request local to numb the areas. I would say, it was rather painful.  Not even relaxed.  Then, since the light sedation was a joke, I opted for a local only when I had my third surgery, which was a revision of  one eyelid.  It didn't hurt any worse than the light sedation, though.  lol   I iced a lot and had minimal bruising and swelling.  It'll be worth it though to keep calm until healed.  It was difficult to sleep on back only and slightly inclined. 

I cannot even imagine being awake during it! The anesthesiologist gave me the option of light or full sedation and I was all "knock me tf out." I was terrified of being awake and moving or flinching and ruining everything. If you've ever seen Dr. Strange, I looked like one of the villains from it for the first few days. I'm extremely pale, have blue eyes, and reddish hair, all of which equal sensational bruising ability, according to my surgeon, lol. I'm glad it's almost all behind me. I have two internal, dissolvable stitches in the outer corners of my eyes and if past experience is anything, my body won't dissolve them and I'll have to go back and have the surgeon remove them. 

• Love 8

@zoomama Glad that you are back and very sorry to hear that it was so painful and nausea inducing. Here’s to a good report when it comes in. 
@emma675 Gee, I wish that it wasn’t so painful for you to get your stitches removed. Here’s to a quick recovery so you can get get back to moving around and doing the things that you like. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

My dad had surgery on one of his eyelids. A lot of aftercare initially and the following days. He could not wait to have his stitches removed. Between being uncomfortable and itchy, he couldn't stop wondering if he was damaging his eye. All ended very well for him.

As I sort of mentioned above, I'm tired of shaving my legs standing up in the shower, and I rarely, rarely, rarely take baths. Do any of you all have any experience with electric shavers for legs?

I used to have a ladies electric shaver when I was a teen.  Since then, I have used regular razors. Standing in shower isn’t ideal. I now have a built in seat in my shower and that helps.  I like the regular razors okay. 

They wanted me awake for the second and third surgeries because in those surgeries they adjusted the tendon over the eyelid. It wasn’t just skin removal. They have you open and shut your eyes, to ensure proper adjustment. Still, one wasn’t right and I had to have it corrected. So I had one that was not right for about 3 months. That humbles you. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Have you considered epilation?

• Useful 2

I have odd question for the group. We have a lot of different people here does,anyone work for or have a family member who works for Barnes and Noble?  It seems their system was attacked by a virus.  From my understanding all systems were affected including their app. I have used the BN app for 10 years. I have over 1200 books on the app and I cannot see any of them. BN has not given any info on the status of the fix,when it could be fixed or if we will get our books back. This seems like a first world problem and it may be but I have a lot of money tied up in those books. What I was wondering if someone worked there or knew someone who did if they had any info that could be passed on " off the books " so to speak. I don't know if the people in the stores have info they are not allowed to share or if they don't know anything. 

@Mindthnkr and @Absolom:  

Thanks for the offer of split pea soup.....I await it with spoon in hand 😊.  
Yes, it was the meatloaf recipe you mentioned.  I didn’t have stuffing mix, so I substituted torn up leftover dinner rolls (added extra spices).  I also did not have the hot peppers, so I just added some hot sauce to the ketchup/cranberry mix.    It was really good.  The meatloaf was kind of light and fluffy inside, and the taste reminded me of Thanksgiving.  The only thing I would recommend is to put the cranberry sauce in the sauce pan first and slowly melt it before adding the ketchup..

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I have odd question for the group. We have a lot of different people here does,anyone work for or have a family member who works for Barnes and Noble?  It seems their system was attacked by a virus.  From my understanding all systems were affected including their app. I have used the BN app for 10 years. I have over 1200 books on the app and I cannot see any of them. BN has not given any info on the status of the fix,when it could be fixed or if we will get our books back. This seems like a first world problem and it may be but I have a lot of money tied up in those books. What I was wondering if someone worked there or knew someone who did if they had any info that could be passed on " off the books " so to speak. I don't know if the people in the stores have info they are not allowed to share or if they don't know anything. 

I am in the same boat. An article came up on my news feed that said the problem would take several days to fix. I sure hope they are able to correct the problem.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

I am in the same boat. An article came up on my news feed that said the problem would take several days to fix. I sure hope they are able to correct the problem.

So do I. Its stressful having all that money invested and not sure if I will get the books back. If they would just address the issue.  People have been commenting on their Facebook page and other than a couple of very generic responses there has been nothing from BN. I went to the reddit nook page and it was there someone had posted an article from Goodreads that it was a virus. I have used Nook for over 10 years and never had a problem. I do feel bad for the employees in the stores and call centers. They are dealing with a lot of angry people and its not their fault. 

• Love 5

I’m missing Charlie and Mr Norris this evening. Not that I love Blake any less, and I appreciate how affectionate he’s been since the other two died, but I do think being WFH, and Covid-19 leaves me so much time in the house I really feel it. Charlie has been gone 7 months, and Mr Norris 4months in a few weeks. 

I know Blake is best as an only cat, so I don’t regret my decision not to adopt someone else, but I still miss them. My beloved Mr Norris was TWENTY. 

• Love 2

Amazon Prime Day sales start at midnight and go through Wednesday.  I’ve been browsing the pre-sales, but can’t find what I’m looking for. Lots of iPad, large TVs, and other electronics, if you’re in the market.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Liddy52 said:

@Jeeves, my husband was born in LA Junta CO and still has family there. He lived part of his childhood in the area and did a project in elementary school on Bent's Old Fort. We still have the project in a foot locker that his parents sent with other childhood memories.  

Wow, sometimes it is a small world! That's so cool. 

10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’m missing Charlie and Mr Norris this evening. Not that I love Blake any less, and I appreciate how affectionate he’s been since the other two died, but I do think being WFH, and Covid-19 leaves me so much time in the house I really feel it. Charlie has been gone 7 months, and Mr Norris 4months in a few weeks. 

I know Blake is best as an only cat, so I don’t regret my decision not to adopt someone else, but I still miss them. My beloved Mr Norris was TWENTY. 

Aw, I'm sorry. My little heart dog Jasper died last November. I was a sobbing mess for weeks, now I'm not but I do still miss him. As you said, being at home so much can make me feel the loss more than I probably would otherwise. Sometimes I still talk to him. But, that's between us, so don't tell anyone else, okay? I'm glad you have Blake.

Oh, speaking of cats. Last week the folks in the small (about a dozen people) group where I'm working, finally had a Friday noon get-together. Literally our first one in person since COVID hit and we went to work from home in mid-March. It was optional, outdoors at a nice local park so we could be distanced and in fresh air. A couple of people brought their pets including an adorable puppy. And, one person brought her cat. Who is used to his halter and leash, and to going out among people. While they were still happening, for example, he went to her kids' soccer games. He was ADORABLE, and calm, and friendly. I was smitten. 

• Love 15
On 10/11/2020 at 3:35 PM, marypat57 said:

I decided to try a turkey meatloaf recipe I saw on The Kitchen yesterday.  Katie Lee was making it.  It was a mush mash of Thanksgiving dinner.  You add stuffing mix, bread crumbs, onions, celery, spices, eggs and part of your cranberry sauce/ketchup glaze, mix it together, bake and serve with roasted sweet potato wedges.  I didn’t have the stuffing mix, so I tore up some leftover dinner rolls and left them out to dry. I’ll let you know how it turns out....

::Raises hand:: I made that meatloaf on Sunday! I could not find whole cranberry sauce so I had to buy the jellied sauce. It was AMAZING. The stuffing mix really made the difference! I made a huge loaf, portioned and froze it for future meals. Next time I make it, I will see if I can find the whole cranberry sauce. It was really, really good!

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Lol you’re so sweet. Yes he had just made his 20th bday May 4th and I had him euthanized June 24. 

Heres a photo of him in his hey day when his coat used to SHINE and he got all the compliments. Likely 2008/9. 

EE85C738-903F-4923-96C5-CC30A68ED3AA.jpeg

Was that Mr. Norris' Mardi Gras look?  Love his beads & I may have a matching set I got at a party.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Was that Mr. Norris' Mardi Gras look?  Love his beads & I may have a matching set I got at a party.

Yes it was. I dressed him up for Holidays. Especially Halloween because he looked like Salem from Sabrina the Teenage Witch. 

My Mom got me a water pik for my bday last week, and I love it so much she ordered one for herself today. My teeth look white- but a natural white. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

My Mom got me a water pik for my bday last week, and I love it so much she ordered one for herself today. My teeth look white- but a natural white. 

Is a water pik different from an electric/vibrating toothbrush? My dentist always pushes me to start using an electric toothbrush every time I go in, but I just hate them. It feels like my brain is vibrating somehow. 

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Is a water pik different from an electric/vibrating toothbrush? My dentist always pushes me to start using an electric toothbrush every time I go in, but I just hate them. It feels like my brain is vibrating somehow. 

A waterpik sprays water to gently but effectively clean your teeth.  My dad used one when he was undergoing cancer treatments and on blood thinners.  He could not floss or use metal instruments.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Waterpik is the brand, but it’s a water flosser and tooth brush in one. I was a huge baby when I got my first cavity this summer and I could not stand the idea of more!

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MNBN34G/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_i_gUqHFb1HBAD6E

• Love 6

The dentist my grandmother saw before her root canal suggested a water pik to her. I think she was on the fence about following up, but after this, I'll encourage her to reconsider. 

My stepmom with covid told me she hasn't had fever for days but is still very tired and has headaches. It's never really been respiratory for her, as far as I can tell. My dad still has developed no symptoms, but of course, he's got several more days before he is truly in the clear. 

• Love 19
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Was that Mr. Norris' Mardi Gras look? 

That’s neat @Scarlett45  BB sports the same look during Mardi Gras. 1E1E4960-933A-4389-8241-49B1AE7711A4.jpeg.a7e519946c3cbd94e18633d52796ea11.jpeg

He also reminds me of your dearly departed kitty. BB will be 17 on Halloween. He has a twin sister (although she is smaller). 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Your not you
  • Love 12
11 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

That’s neat @Scarlett45  BB sports the same look during Mardi Gras. 1E1E4960-933A-4389-8241-49B1AE7711A4.jpeg.a7e519946c3cbd94e18633d52796ea11.jpeg

He also reminds me of your dearly departed kitty. BB will be 17 on Halloween. He has a twin sister (although she is smaller). 

Yes! BB does look like my Mr Norris. Awwww. 

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Waterpik is the brand, but it’s a water flosser and tooth brush in one. I was a huge baby when I got my first cavity this summer and I could not stand the idea of more!

Waterpik also makes stand alone water flossers.  They have adjustable pressure so you can start out very low to adjust to it. 

• Love 4

I just wanted to suggest something for anyone who needs a really good laugh.  I had one last night and I mean the loud belly laugh.  Well....I thought it was funny, though, there was some seriousness to the scene, due to some violence.  I watched the new season of Fargo series ON Demand. Season 4, Episode 3.  There's a scene where

Spoiler

these two women get violently ill with vomiting and diarrhea during an armed robbery, due to unknowingly eating an Ipecac laced pie. It's hard to explain it, but, it just really struck me as funny.  I know, potty humor is sometimes too much, but, I thought this was done really well and even though I'm not usually into something so obvious.....it cracked me up.  I guess, I'm pretty desperate for entertainment.  Hey, it was that or The Family Chantel!  lol  

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just wanted to suggest something for anyone who needs a really good laugh.  I had one last night and I mean the loud belly laugh.  Well....I thought it was funny, though, there was some seriousness to the scene, due to some violence.  I watched the new season of Fargo series ON Demand. Season 4, Episode 3.  There's a scene where

I haven't started the new season yet.  Is it any good?

31 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

I haven't started the new season yet.  Is it any good?

It's not what I was expecting.  IMO, very different from previous seasons, but, I will say that I like it okay.  I just caught up to Episode 4 and think I'll stick it out.  It takes a little adjustment.  Chris Rock threw me in his role of Loy, but, it's growing on me.  The scene I described above was too funny.  It doesn't include Chris Rock either.  lol  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MNBN34G/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_i_gUqHFb1HBAD6E

I need to look into one of these. They've been trying to get me to switch to an electric toothbrush for years but I hate the vibration of the ones I've tried. It's not like you can try before you buy either. 

It's been a rough go lately and I can't wait for this year to just finally end. I'm looking at packing it in and moving back in with my parents while I figure things out (again). I sincerely thought this would be my final stop and wanted to make it work here. The pandemic has messed up a lot of things. God, I wish I had just taken the chance to settle down rather than chase dreams. 

• Love 1

The WaterPik Sonic Fusion is truly amazing.  I’ve been using mine for the past year and a half and the results have been great.  My hygienist has been impressed with the condition of my gums and the spaces between my teeth.  Because I have a number of crowns, it’s hard to get floss between them.  The Sonic does a great job.  What’s also good is that you can add mouthwash to the water reservoir to get it between your teeth.

WestiePeach:  Glad you liked the meatloaf. Isn’t it wonderful? 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I need to look into one of these. They've been trying to get me to switch to an electric toothbrush for years but I hate the vibration of the ones I've tried. It's not like you can try before you buy either. 

It's been a rough go lately and I can't wait for this year to just finally end. I'm looking at packing it in and moving back in with my parents while I figure things out (again). I sincerely thought this would be my final stop and wanted to make it work here. The pandemic has messed up a lot of things. God, I wish I had just taken the chance to settle down rather than chase dreams. 

Im sorry things have been hard for you. I know you had a bad breakup, and the pandemic- which has been hard on single people in ways people don't often mention.

Will you like living with your parents? Will l it be emotionally nurturing for you? I cannot remember if you guys are in the same state right now.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I'm sorry for the setback @PikaScrewChu.  I admire you for pursuing your dreams and not playing it too safe.  Please consider 2020 a bump in the road that will one day be in your rearview mirror.  Reset, recharge, and go!  🙂

• Love 10

not to be political on one side or the other but has anyone signed up to be a absentee ballot counter/poll worker? i went to pay my taxes last month and asked if they needed extra people to work on the absentee/mail in ballots. i had no idea how this worked. i filled out forms was assigned to a team and a training and given written directions. Nov 3 bring food and water, you cannot leave the building. no phones.  make plans for families or pets. start at 8am and you will not leave the building until all votes have been counted. we are in a small rural township, but i was told to bring supplies for 12 hours and must wear a mask at all times

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Report back, would you, Tater? My inner cheapskate balks at $150 (even though that’s less than one cleaning costs) and my obsession with clutter-free counters balks at anything that would sit out. (Why yes, I am weird. Like this is news to you people.)

It’s been mostly quiet here lately...knocking wood. Horrible neighbor seems to have left for his usual winter in Arizona, despite his FSBO house being on the market. (Him potentially selling should have me doing the Dance of Joy but it’s 40% overpriced and won’t sell, not even in this insane market. Sigh.) PupWiser has done a masterful job of healing his infected incision and I could take the sutures out now but we have an appointment Friday and I need to get the real story from the vet tech as to which vet might be a possible replacement for the Vet God Who Abandoned Me. Why, yes, it is all about me and my pets’ needs, not his life, thank you very much.

I read some of what too many of you are going through and a book title keeps coming to mind: “When Bad Things Happen to Good People.” I send my sincere sympathy and a sloppy PupWiser kiss to all of you brave souls.

Will this horrible year give it a rest already?

• Love 12

Anybody interested in a free ride in a helicopter flight for 4 people? We are still looking for 2 more people to join us. We leave early Saturday (October 24th) morning from Allentown airport and will fly to St. Augustine Fl where we will have breakfast and then board a yacht for lunch.
Then we’ll do a flight along the coast to see The Jacksonville, FL port then returning to St Augustine for dinner, then fly back home.

If interested please pm me..
Preferably someone with a helicopter and yacht, otherwise we can't go 🤭

(just saw this on Facebook!)

• LOL 21
55 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

my obsession with clutter-free counters balks at anything that would sit out.

I have the same obsession. I find clear surfaces are much easier to keep clean. Mind you I do have a few piles around (magazines I’m “going to get to”, paperwork I need to file, and coupons for the store), but otherwise try (TRY) to keep a tidy house. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Anybody interested in a free ride in a helicopter flight for 4 people? We are still looking for 2 more people to join us. We leave early Saturday (October 24th) morning from Allentown airport and will fly to St. Augustine Fl where we will have breakfast and then board a yacht for lunch.
Then we’ll do a flight along the coast to see The Jacksonville, FL port then returning to St Augustine for dinner, then fly back home.

If interested please pm me..
Preferably someone with a helicopter and yacht, otherwise we can't go 🤭

(just saw this on Facebook!)

Dang. The site is not allowing me to add the attachment. Anyway it was funny like yours 😊

My husband uses an electric and it just seems nasty to me sitting out in the counter.  I’m not a counter clutter fan either - but I know that somewhere in my life, I had a life altering moment.  I don’t even know when.  When I was a teenager, my brush, makeup, hair drier, curlers, barrettes - EVERYTHING lived on the countertop.  But I’ll say this - my parents built this house (I bought the house when they died) as they could afford it.  And Daddy built the bathroom vanities out of plywood.  Luckily, they were forced to buy the sink piece.  No drawers.  Homemade cabinet = no drawers.  If you opened the doors of the cabinet you were looking at the subfloor underneath.  So all my stuff was out there, plus I had a younger sister vying for space.  I love my Daddy, and I love that I live in the house that he built - although I complain about the hiccups.  Plumbing, for example, was not his strong suite.  

We’ve done some upgrades.  🤣 

Hey, just for fun:  someone may remember I have Amish relatives (close ones, too - first branch of the tree).  One set had a reunion this past weekend, but I’m only related by marriage and they are truly some of the WEIRDEST people.  Starers, all.  They like to creep right up to you and stare, with the brim of their black hat almost touching your forehead.  So myself and another cousin with Amish roots were texting about that this morning and I drew this and sent it to him.  I thought it was not too bad for a fingertip and an iPhone screen. 

ED2A5F5D-62A9-4821-A5D0-44EDF00AF540.jpeg

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • LOL 12
  • Love 3
On 10/9/2020 at 8:16 PM, Happyfatchick said:

I think I did marginally better with my mom - I mean, I absolutely KNEW she would not want to continue in her state.  I knew her well enough to know, if she’d been of sound mind, she would have said STOPPPPPPP!!!!!  But.  She wasn’t of sound mind and that’s one thing @SunnyBeBe left off - the total self centeredness.  The selfishness that takes over.  My mother - who helped strangers, bought groceries and paid bills for the less privileged, took care of the elderly and fostered many children (even adopted one) was practically screaming “don’t let me die, DAMMIT!  DO SOMETHING FOR ME!!!”  Everything was suddenly about HER.  WHO IS THIS CREATURE???

since I’m bitching my brains out anyway, let me mention one thing that DROVE ME CRAZY:  when they lose their face!!!  The blank unhinged look in the eyes.  The slackness of facial muscles because the brain doesn’t FIRE any more when their grandchild or even their CHILD walks in.  Gone.  The face goes slack, the eyes lose their sparkle.  Nobody is home.  OMG I so hate this disease.  

The self-centeredness is exactly it. Every conversation with Dad is all about him. We have moved heaven and earth to try to get him TV that works and he still does nothing but complain. It is really hard to lose a parent and still have to talk to them all the time but they have resigned from parenting. I mean, I'm 56 years old so you wouldn't think I'd need parenting but something I just want my mom or my dad.

And also exactly--probably the last photo of my mom was taken at Christmas 9.5 months before she died. I can't bear to look at it because you can just see in the photo that she is not in there anymore the way she was. The social worker at Dad's care facility sends me photos and videos of him and I see the same. The isolation of the pandemic has really escalated his decline, too. The hallucinations and disorientation are much worse. I send him yummy things to eat (because what else can I send?) and he tells me that "someone" ate them. His hallucinations steal his food, he says. I'm sure what actually happens is he eats it and forgets but it makes something that should be good feel bad.

On 10/10/2020 at 10:18 PM, Nysha said:

Tuesday my 9 year-old grandson had an MRI to see if they could find a cause for the seizures he's been having since April. My daughter called me in hysterics Thursday morning because the receptionist told her he had a brain hemorrhage and she needed to talk to the doctor on Friday to see where what type of treatment he recommended. I took off for Spokane so I could go to the appointment with her. The first thing the doctor asked is what did the receptionist tell us. When he heard he was very apologetic. Grandson *had* a micro brain hemorrhage when he was an infant or toddler that has healed and is not an issue. There are no neurological reasons for the seizures, which is good news since all the medical reasons for seizures are not good. He said grandson has a perfectly lovely brain. So things are as okay as they can be, but that receptionist needs to be fired b/c we're not the first family she's given false information to.

When my vertigo first surfaced and I didn't know what was going on, I ended up in the ER (if you get up in the morning and can't stand without hanging onto things and you don't know why, it's a bit terrifying). When I was being discharged, the nurse came in and was reading over the paperwork with me. She was speaking in a drone (I suspect she could do some of it from memory) and then when she gets to the follow-up instructions her voice suddenly goes up in pitch and she squeaks "consult a neurologist for evaluation of POSSIBLE MS?!" Yeah. I did, I don't have MS, and I let the hospital know that I thought it would be best if the staff familiarize themselves with information they presented to patients rather than reacting live in the moment.

On 10/11/2020 at 7:04 PM, emma675 said:

We're such goody two shoes! 😂

Add me to the list! I was warned, because I posted on TwoP so of course I was, but I was never banned.

23 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Oh, I hear you on this. I love Pixie and Lucy but Hillary was my sweetie for more than 19 years and I miss her so much still, 16 months after saying goodbye. I have framed photos of her on two floors and I sometimes say good morning or good night to her photo upstairs and tell her I love her. The love still stays, even when the kitty is gone.

• Love 9

@jcbrown, I went out to hobby lobby one night, and while there bought 3 candies called Pecan Delights.  It’s a Russell Stover, and if you love pecans. It is heaven in your mouth.  Anyway, bought one for me, one for the sitter, one for my mom.  
We stood around in the kitchen and ate them, Mama laid her wrapper on the counter.  We’re still just hanging, talking, about 5 minutes later and she sees the wrapper on the counter.  She stomps over there, smashes it to make sure it’s empty and snipes “WELL.  How did I miss out on THAT??”

Another time, the sitter was here at lunch and had taken her to CFA.  We always brought it home to eat.  She only ate half the sandwich and said she didnt want the rest.  She puts it back in It’s little pocket wrapper, writes her name on it (because... who knows?).  They just sat at the table visiting for a little bit.  Suddenly, Mama reaches over grabs that wrapped up sandwich and said “what’s that??”  Opens it, sees the sandwich and declares “somebody left half a chick FIL A!!  I’m eating that!”

I should stop, I could do these alllllllll daaaaay long.  One more:

we always asked a blessing before we ate.  (Once dementia got here, it was her job).  And you all know how they get stuck on the hamster wheel sometimes and say the same thing over and over.  So one night, after we were already eating, she says to whoever was next to her (hand gently on her arm) “we need to ask the blessin”.  So we all put our forms down and she asks the blessing (again).  A few minutes and she says (startled) “we didn’t say the blessin!”  Yes, we did.  YOU did it.  I did?  Well I don’t remember; let’s do it again”.  A little while later, she says “did we say the blessin?”  Yes ma’am, YOU did.  I did??  Are you sure?  Yep.  But you can do it now if you want.  Soooo she did.  Fun times.  

My all time favorite was taking my mom out for a McDonald's sundae.  She used to love them.  She started reading the writing on the McDonald's table which was fine except I looked and it was upside down to her, but she was reading correctly.  Then she looks up at me completely serious and asks me why I've taken her to Russia.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
46 minutes ago, jcbrown said:When my vertigo first surfaced and I didn't know what was going on, I ended up in the ER (if you get up in the morning and can't stand without hanging onto things and you don't know why, it's a bit terrifying). When I was being discharged, the nurse came in and was reading over the paperwork with me. She was speaking in a drone (I suspect she could do some of it from memory) and then when she gets to the follow-up instructions her voice suddenly goes up in pitch and she squeaks "consult a neurologist for evaluation of POSSIBLE MS?!" Yeah. I did, I don't have MS, and I let the hospital know that I thought it would be best if the staff familiarize themselves with information they presented to patients rather than reacting live in the moment.

Add me to the list! I was warned, because I posted on TwoP so of course I was, but I was never banned.

Oh, I hear you on this. I love Pixie and Lucy but Hillary was my sweetie for more than 19 years and I miss her so much still, 16 months after saying goodbye. I have framed photos of her on two floors and I sometimes say good morning or good night to her photo upstairs and tell her I love her. The love still stays, even when the kitty is gone.

@jcbrown in my early twenties I had a migraines, and then I started having a lot of vertigo spells. The dr thought they were migraine variants where they were physiologically a migraine but presented as vertigo instead of pain. I went to an ENT for some sort of definitive test that was awkward with someone as young as I was. The test - because it was weird and awkward - somehow didn’t show that it was vertigo or something...anyways this young guy said it must be MS and to follow up with my dr! Um, no. Fifteen years or more later, still no MS

• Love 4