Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

@Happyfatchick I would give you a big hug, but I have a blasted cold, and I do not think you want my germs. I feel like something Sassy dig in the yard and decided to dig it back up and drag it into the house. When I get a cold it goes into my throat, head and ears along with my digestive system is not a happy camper either. I would love to take a cold medication, but I have to be careful what I can take. Plus I have an appointment this afternoon I need to go to. I hope I have the energy to drive and do not cough and sneeze over other people.

I am sending you love and chocolate. Oh what the heck...love and chocolate for everyone!!!

On 8/14/2018 at 3:52 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I called my mother-in-law by her first name. My son-in-law calls me "mom", which is better than my daughter's live-in boyfriend, who doesn't call me anything to my face but refers to me as "that b!tch" in front of my grandkids.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, kathe5133 said:

My father never called my mother's mother anything either.  It was "your mother", "your grandmother" or if forced because there was no one in the room to run interference for him "Luv", as in "would you like more coffee, Luv?"  It always baffled me.  He couldn't say "mother", he couldn't say "nana", he couldn't say "Mrs. Mywifesmother".  When questioned he said he feared appearing "disrespectful".  So "Luv"?  That's a sign of respect?   

I've been married 32 yrs and my husband has also never called my parents by anything, ever.  I call his parents by first name and have from first meeting them.

Last night, I asked hubby why he's never called my parents by any name and he responded that you don't really need to call people by name!  He added that he rarely even calls me by my name, which is true.

• Love 5

Happy, do you think you could have an undiagnosed foot fracture?  Hairline fractures often do not show up on immediate x-rays and may need a nuclear medicine scan or cat scan to be visible.

That much swelling does not sound normal, even for nerve damage.  Take care!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

I called my mother-in-law by her first name. My son-in-law calls me "mom", which is better than my daughter's live-in boyfriend, who doesn't call me anything to my face but refers to me as "that b!tch" in front of my grandkids.

Well, that’s the one case in which not calling someone anything would be the better solution.   I bet you have a couple pet names for him that you use in your mind. I would. 

• Love 7

Since I was about 4 years old I have called my parents by their first names, due mainly to the fact that my mom had a daycare and all the other children were calling her by her first name. It's set me up to feel (too) comfortable calling everyone by their first names, even when I probably shouldn't.

• Love 6

Happyfatchick, I have always viewed people who take meds (for anything, not just depression) as strong. You're making an effort to take care of yourself and a lot of people don't even have the strength to do that.

Definitely push the doc to figure out your foot. Navy blue toenails and that much pain are not normal!

• Love 8

@Happyfatchick - oy vey.  So glad you let us know what's going on!  Agree that taking something for depression is a sign of strength!  Loved the story about your father in the barn.  And, remember, I am just about 100-200 miles away and if you need something from up here, let me know!!!  I don't know where you live, except south of Atlanta, and still in Georgia!!!  I am not a stalker, for goodness sake!!   Sending healing hugs, good vibes, positive energy, and anything else that will help you get this sorted all out.  Once they figure out the foot and you can get moving, you will most likely feel better all around!!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, RainbowBrite said:

Since I was about 4 years old I have called my parents by their first names, due mainly to the fact that my mom had a daycare and all the other children were calling her by her first name. It's set me up to feel (too) comfortable calling everyone by their first names, even when I probably shouldn't.

My four year old son calls me by my first name if we are around anyone other than our little nuclear family. I think it’s smart of him to realize other people don’t know me as Mom and adjust accordingly - and I think that was smart of you, too! 

• Love 4

@Happyfatchick you are part of the backbone of this forum! So sorry you are feeling like crap and sending virtual hugs and good vibes. As for book recommendations, I have three series that I absolutely adore: Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels books ("Magic Bites" is the first one), N.K. Jemisin's The Broken Earth trilogy ("The Fifth Season" is the first one), and Faith Henry's Jane Yellowrock series ("Skinwalker" is the first one). Oh! And Casey Daniels' Pepper Martin mysteries ("Don of the Dead" is the first one). I hope you feel better!

• Love 4

So.

i sat here this morning , picked up a Sharpie marker and drew a diagram on my foot. To helpfully point out where the pain starts and where it radiates to.  I’m really hoping (as I leave for an appointment with the doc) that I’m healed enough to ditch the boot and leave with a bandaid.  Seriously.  I’m worried he won’t LISTEN to me about how painful my toes are.  

Then I went for my appointment with Dr. Smilesalot.  ?  He did not blow me off, and got a kick out of my art.  The bones are healing well, and the incision looks great.  ?  but... he’s very worried about the swelling.  He did a quick doplar and says the blood vessels are pumping just fine.  ?  and then he says... “but that swelling.  I’m going to put you back in a cast (to act as a compression device).  But no... maybe not.  I’m going to wrap it very tight”.  And he wrapped and wrapped and wrapped.  I have gauze between my toes.  There is gauze, there is quilt batting and about 4000 miles of stretchy bandaging.  He used everything they had laid out.  I snarked “there’s GOT to be something else to put on there!”

He actually chuckled a little as he slid open the drawer and said “oh, I’m not done yet” ? and used 2 more rolls of bandaging.  

Then he says go home, lay on your back and elevate your leg 18 inches above your heart level.  ?  Come back in one week.  Keep the leg up.  Don’t do anything you don’t have to do.  Up up up with the leg.  Be still.  And oh, by the way, it’s going to be very very uncomfortable for the next 3 days at least.  ?  You have diuretic?  Good.  Take that.  ?  Going to be very uncomfortable.  ?

I’m home.  On my back.  Leg is up up up.  I’m 3 minutes in and doing great.  ?

Edited by Happyfatchick
I wasn’t done yet
  • Love 15
16 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

So.

i sat here this morning , picked up a Sharpie marker and drew a diagram on my foot. To helpfully point out where the pain starts and where it radiates to.  

Then I went for my appointment with Dr. Smilesalot.  ?  He did not blow me off as I feared, and 

Don’t leave us hanging!

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

So.

i sat here this morning , picked up a Sharpie marker and drew a diagram on my foot. To helpfully point out where the pain starts and where it radiates to.  I’m really hoping (as I leave for an appointment with the doc) that I’m healed enough to ditch the boot and leave with a bandaid.  Seriously.  I’m worried he won’t LISTEN to me about how painful my toes are.  

Then I went for my appointment with Dr. Smilesalot.  ?  He did not blow me off, and got a kick out of my art.  The bones are healing well, and the incision looks great.  ?  but... he’s very worried about the swelling.  He did a quick doplar and says the blood vessels are pumping just fine.  ?  and then he says... “but that swelling.  I’m going to put you back in a cast (to act as a compression device).  But no... maybe not.  I’m going to wrap it very tight”.  And he wrapped and wrapped and wrapped.  I have gauze between my toes.  There is gauze, there is quilt batting and about 4000 miles of stretchy bandaging.  He used everything they had laid out.  I snarked “there’s GOT to be something else to put on there!”

He actually chuckled a little as he slid open the drawer and said “oh, I’m not done yet” ? and used 2 more rolls of bandaging.  

Then he says go home, lay on your back and elevate your leg 18 inches above your heart level.  ?  Come back in one week.  Keep the leg up.  Don’t do anything you don’t have to do.  Up up up with the leg.  Be still.  And oh, by the way, it’s going to be very very uncomfortable for the next 3 days at least.  ?  You have diuretic?  Good.  Take that.  ?  Going to be very uncomfortable.  ?

Well you have lasted 2 minutes longer than I would have. I hate laying on my back and doubt I could keep my leg up for any length of time.

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

I highly recommend the Milliard Foam Leg Elevator Pillow available on Amazon for $49.99.  It proved to be a lifesaver for me when I had to stay elevated after knee surgery.  It has a channel to support your leg, is actually very comfortable, and made lying around with my foot up much easier.  It comes with a removable, washable cover.  For me, it really was worth every penny.  It made following the Dr.'s orders much easier!  Good luck, and lots of hugs!!!!!!

• Love 7
38 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Well you have lasted 2 minutes longer than I would have. I hate laying on my back and doubt I could keep my leg up for any length of time.

I also hate lying on my back.  But I had big toe joint fusion May 14th, and had to have my left leg elevated for several weeks.  Especially the first 3 weeks, almost constantly, to prevent swelling and the incision around the plate and 6 screws from opening.

I have one of those big, blue weighted exercise balls.  I found it comfortable to lie in bed or on my yoga mat, or on the sofa, with my leg up on the big ball.

I even found lots of exercises I could do with my leg still up! Also, I could get on my side with leg still up on the ball, and relieve back pain.

Happy, at least you no longer have to sleep in the boot!  I really hated that!

• Love 5

Thanks @CalicoKitty!  I will order that tonight... genius idea and no one suggested that before you.  (And actually seems a little more appropriate than the new heavy duty sewing machine I ordered yesterday... down time is not good for my bank account)

@louannems, I’ve been off sleeping in that stupid boot for 2 weeks.  It was a rare high point in this saga and I almost hugged Dr. ? when he said I didn’t have to sleep in it any more.  I hate this boot with the fire of 1000 suns.  I was sooooohoping to leave there without it today, but nooooooo.  We all came home together.  ?

p.s. I saw a trailer last night for a new show with a ton of kids (all boys) and a pregnant wife.  What’s up with this theme???  How many ways can this be rolled out???

also, just a heads up:  I discovered today that if your daughter is a nurse, you probably don’t want to have them take you for doctor appointments.  They will rat you out.  

Edited by Happyfatchick
An “oh yeah” moment
  • Love 14

HFC, Well being as I'm practically yr next-door neighbor, lol, just holler my way & I'll bring you heaps of shrimp fr the Baybreeze, & cheesecake. (b/c it's too hot for pie)

Seriously, I'm SO sorry that you're poorly & that yr leg is refusing to let you dance the way you want to! ((hugs))

• Love 3

@Happyfatchick, I feel so bad. I haven’t visited Small Talk for a few days and I missed your call for hugs, etc. I am SO sorry you are having to deal with all of this. You have given all of us so much pleasure sharing your family stories (including the latest story of your dad’s visit), and I just want to grab you up and fold you into a great big hug.  I sure hope the newest wrapping and wrapping and wrapping helps your foot.  That sounds scary.  So, I’m late to the party, but sending you love, hugs, chocolate, whatever you drink, and excellent novels.  (But I don’t have any to suggest, sadly.)

Please keep letting us know how you are.  I am all the way across the country from you, but I really care.

Edited by Love2dance
Punctuation
  • Love 3

To  @Happyfatchick and everybody else with challenges tonight, hugs and prayers to all of you. I've been immersed in studying for the notary exam and don't come up for air too often. I'm already a notary but a few years back some dumbass decided to change things up and give us statewide powers instead of just being commissioned in the parish where we live, along with a few surrounding parishes in some cases. I recently moved and went from seven parishes to one. So everybody told me I should just take the test again. It's hard y'all. I took the first one in 1995 and my brain was a lot better then. You would have thought the existing notaries would have been grandfathered in, but noooooooo.  In Louisiana notaries have a lot more powers than in other states so we are expected to know all the laws that govern the things we can do. So take one sixty year old brain, tons of reading and preparing of legal acts, and a retired husband  who watches a lot of tv at volumes loud enough to wake the dead and you get a recipe for disaster. The only thing that has saved me, and him, is that he asked the pastor of the Baptist church across the street if I could rent a room from them to study and he graciously said that I can use their conference room any time church is not going on. It's quiet, the chairs are comfortable, and there's a bathroom. It's not that they think I'm so great, Hubby does a lot to help them out and they appreciate it. But I will soldier on, lurking here when I get the chance. I love this place and our wonderful members. Oh lord, it's 4 thirty in the morning. Night Night.

• Love 10

Love and full frontal hugs to you Happyfatchick! I started writing this yesterday morning, then my computer decided to play games with me, and all I could manage to do was to read and click on the occasional "like". Otherwise, every time I started to try to type, the sizing on the page would start bouncing back and forth between something resembling microfiche, and a Brobdingnagian script which managed to fit maybe a dozen words on a page with everything in between, so I had to give up. 

Anyway, so glad that you were able to get the doctor to listen to you, and hope all that taping and elevation of the leg helps. Doesn't sound like fun. Keep us informed.

My older son is dealing with an ankle problem that doesn't want to go away as well - he was hit by a car a few weeks ago while walking through a parking lot where it turned out a robbery was in progress and he got clipped by the getaway vehicle. Was cleared to go home by the EMT's at the scene, but the swelling on his ankle isn't going down either.

Any my mom's legs are still bothering her after her spinal surgery last month...they were able to get back a lot of the function and alleviate a lot of her pain, but her legs are really feeling numb from the knees down, and her feet want to turn inward if she's not concentrating, so it's still frustrating to her. She is getting more pain in her upper legs now as well. They did warn her that it all might get worse before it gets better again, but it could be a long road, and she is 84 years old, so....

Sorry, didn't mean to co-opt this into my own family woes. Keep getting better! We miss you when you don't post!

• Love 9

Speaking of surgery, I'm going to have out patient surgery soon and I AM SHOCKED to find that they recommend that so MANY foods be discontinued 1-2 weeks from the surgery.  I'm not sure what I'm going to eat.  NO:  grapes, strawberries, pickles, cucumbers, tomatoes, garlic, almonds, cherries, apples, apricots, ginger, and others.  This is from the list the doctor's office gave me, but, I have read a larger list online that includes avoiding wheat, broccoli, eggs and potatoes too!  I'm not going to honor that one though. I'm just going to stick with the one my doctor gave me. I had a similar surgery once years ago and no one said anything about stuff like that. Just to stop taking aspirin. 

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Speaking of surgery, I'm going to have out patient surgery soon and I AM SHOCKED to find that they recommend that so MANY foods be discontinued 1-2 weeks from the surgery.  I'm not sure what I'm going to eat.  NO:  grapes, strawberries, pickles, cucumbers, tomatoes, garlic, almonds, cherries, apples, apricots, ginger, and others.  This is from the list the doctor's office gave me, but, I have read a larger list online that includes avoiding wheat, broccoli, eggs and potatoes too!  I'm not going to honor that one though. I'm just going to stick with the one my doctor gave me. I had a similar surgery once years ago and no one said anything about stuff like that. Just to stop taking aspirin. 

I would guess they are going to put you on a post-surgery course of blood thinners.  I don’t get the wheat, potatoes and eggs but the broccoli and  the list your doc gave you have significant impact on your ability to clot, either raising or lowering. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The doctors forbidden list contains a lot of sugar.

• Love 1

Well, the only thing with the meds, is that I had to stop my Fish Oil.  I can start back in a few days after the surgery.  They said it can cause more bleeding.  The potatoes, eggs and broccoli was not on my list, but, one I saw on line.  I'm not going to follow that one. 

• Love 1

Oh Happy, that Dark Cloud seems to be really hovering over you lately.  Hoping the elevation helps. It's always helped me in the past.

I'm recommending books written by Elin Hilderbrand.   She does mainly romance novels but there are themes like infidelity, cancer, drunk driving thrown in that seem to tone down the usual sweetsy predictable type romance novels.  They are easy reads and are set at the beach in Nantucket which kind of takes you away. I like it too that you can read them out of order. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, latetotheparty said:

I would guess they are going to put you on a post-surgery course of blood thinners.  I don’t get the wheat, potatoes and eggs but the broccoli and  the list your doc gave you have significant impact on your ability to clot, either raising or lowering. 

But an important part of working with blood thinners is to keep consistency in your diet, and I thought that's really only with Coumadin. Xarelto and Eliquis work differently, I think.

The vitamin K in leafy greens works as a coagulant so eating more or less than normal would change your INR, which would change the amount of Coumadin you need. I have a family member that's been on Coumadin most of my life, and his INR was always wacky when his routine changed and he ate different things.

It's weird to me that they would have you change your diet so significantly before outpatient surgery, but they probably have a reason.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, McManda said:

But an important part of working with blood thinners is to keep consistency in your diet, and I thought that's really only with Coumadin. Xarelto and Eliquis work differently, I think.

The vitamin K in leafy greens works as a coagulant so eating more or less than normal would change your INR, which would change the amount of Coumadin you need. I have a family member that's been on Coumadin most of my life, and his INR was always wacky when his routine changed and he ate different things.

It's weird to me that they would have you change your diet so significantly before outpatient surgery, but they probably have a reason.

You are correct. The Coumadin is the only one with dietary implications. I’m hoping to switch to one of the other meds soon. I miss my giant salads. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, latetotheparty said:

You are correct. The Coumadin is the only one with dietary implications. I’m hoping to switch to one of the other meds soon. I miss my giant salads. 

My understanding is that on Coumadin you can have giant salads, but you have to have the same size giant salad every day. Consistency is the key to keeping the INR in the proper range, so they know what dosage of Coumadin to give you.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

My understanding is that on Coumadin you can have giant salads, but you have to have the same size giant salad every day. Consistency is the key to keeping the INR in the proper range, so they know what dosage of Coumadin to give you.

Yes, that's my understanding too.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Love2dance said:

That’s true and you would also have to raise the amount you take to overcome the Vitamin K. For me, I’ve had to adjust the the veggies I eat because I’ve discovered that raising the Coumadin too much causes intolerable side effects. It’s a balancing act. 

• Love 2
On 9/26/2018 at 11:42 AM, Happyfatchick said:

I can’t sleep.  I get hot ice pick jabs all day and all night.  I can’t do anything.  I can’t do ANYTHING and I’m about at the end of the cliff.  It’s driving me up a wall.  My surgery is 4 weeks ago tomorrow and I’m back on Percocet just to function.  (Functioning is making my bed, getting a shower and cooking hot dogs

This sounds exactly like me after my recent knee replacement. The first knee surgery went great..the second was AWFUL. I thought I'd never be able to stop taking all the (strong) pain pills.

I said all that to say this: it does get better!  I promise.

Also ,I totally understand wanting your doctor to really hear you. You try to succinctly detail what is really, really hurting you..and you get what I call "the dismissive yeah, yeah" from them (I swear, it seemed like he wanted to pat me on my head.)

I think they are too jaded from seeing too many patients. If you can, try and see the nurse practitioner if they have one..I've found them MUCH more empathetic and willing to really listen. Good luck!

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Sounds like chocolate ice cream to me!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Temperance said:

Sounds like chocolate ice cream to me!

Yeah, that sounds tasty. lol    I'll just have to change my routine.  I normally do eat cucumbers with diced tomatoes with my dinner.  My treats are often strawberries, apples, grapes, almonds and almond milk. lol  And, I usually cook with garlic and ginger, so......just a temporary adjustment.  I'll be so glad when all of this is over.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4

Hi guys - I’m alive but my brain is a funk so I won’t talk much.  Maybe I’ll be up to it later.

i noticed someone else asking about the machine I ordered... man, Amazon has been my FRIEND while I’m down.  (NOT GOOD!!!)

i ordered a Janome HD 3000.  I’ve never had a Janome machine; but know from other embroiders that the embroidery machines are good ones.  That plus the consumer reviews made me buy this one.  I sew thru several thicknesses of canvas almost daily and have to have a machine with guts behind it.  We’ll see!!

Allllllll my other equipment is Brother or Baby Lock.  They are essentially the same company).  The machines are virtually the same thing.  Factories side by side.  I don’t understand it, but whatever.  My very first real embroidery machine was a Brother.  A sewing machine with an attachable platform for embroidery.  I loved that machine!  So when I went bigger, my first 6 needle was a Brother as well.  My “regular” machine that doesn’t embroider is also a Baby Lock.  She’s a champ but is not crazy about the multi layers of canvas.  She’s pretty tough, but sometimes she struggles with all the layers.  

And there you have it:  I can type from another planet.  What talent!!

I’ll go ahead and tell you since I went this far - I’m much much better.  That first night when he promised me it was going to be uncomfortable, I could have chewed a leather saddle to pieces.  Oh my GOSH it was terrible.  But since then, with my foot UP UP UP, my new foot elevator should be here today.   (Plus he did change my drugs around and gave me some different ones) plus the lasix, it’s getting better.  The pain is tolerable and the swelling has improved.  Life is looking up for HFC!!!

thank you all sooooooooooo much for the support and hugs and just the talk.  I’ve checked a time or two but haven't written, because I’m loopy and afraid you might get the national anthem or worse.   [is there a worse tune EVER???  WHY on earth we don’t use America the Beautiful or even God Bless America is waaaay beyond me.].  Anyway, you all are THE BEST and you have absolutely NO IDEA how much I love you guys.  You are amazing, seriously.  ❤️

Including a pic of all my girls (except Baby who doesn’t embroider).  R-L

Ruby - my first machine, Opal - my newest machine, and Pearl I bought in the middle somewhere.  Pearl is my oldest machine - has to be fed with a FLOPPY DISK!!!  (I have to buy them on eBay.  I went in Staples once and asked if they had these and the 18 yr old serving me said “what IS that??”.  Yes, she’s old, but she sews and sews and sews.  She’s a work horse and I loooove her.  

EDF7CF40-E89B-4941-B114-3A58073417A2.jpeg

• Love 15
49 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

Hi guys - I’m alive but my brain is a funk so I won’t talk much.  Maybe I’ll be up to it later.

i noticed someone else asking about the machine I ordered... man, Amazon has been my FRIEND while I’m down.  (NOT GOOD!!!)

i ordered a Janome HD 3000.  I’ve never had a Janome machine; but know from other embroiders that the embroidery machines are good ones.  That plus the consumer reviews made me buy this one.  I sew thru several thicknesses of canvas almost daily and have to have a machine with guts behind it.  We’ll see!!

Allllllll my other equipment is Brother or Baby Lock.  They are essentially the same company).  The machines are virtually the same thing.  Factories side by side.  I don’t understand it, but whatever.  My very first real embroidery machine was a Brother.  A sewing machine with an attachable platform for embroidery.  I loved that machine!  So when I went bigger, my first 6 needle was a Brother as well.  My “regular” machine that doesn’t embroider is also a Baby Lock.  She’s a champ but is not crazy about the multi layers of canvas.  She’s pretty tough, but sometimes she struggles with all the layers.  

And there you have it:  I can type from another planet.  What talent!!

I’ll go ahead and tell you since I went this far - I’m much much better.  That first night when he promised me it was going to be uncomfortable, I could have chewed a leather saddle to pieces.  Oh my GOSH it was terrible.  But since then, with my foot UP UP UP, my new foot elevator should be here today.   (Plus he did change my drugs around and gave me some different ones) plus the lasix, it’s getting better.  The pain is tolerable and the swelling has improved.  Life is looking up for HFC!!!

thank you all sooooooooooo much for the support and hugs and just the talk.  I’ve checked a time or two but haven't written, because I’m loopy and afraid you might get the national anthem or worse.   [is there a worse tune EVER???  WHY on earth we don’t use America the Beautiful or even God Bless America is waaaay beyond me.].  Anyway, you all are THE BEST and you have absolutely NO IDEA how much I love you guys.  You are amazing, seriously.  ❤️

Including a pic of all my girls (except Baby who doesn’t embroider).  R-L

Ruby - my first machine, Opal - my newest machine, and Pearl I bought in the middle somewhere.  Pearl is my oldest machine - has to be fed with a FLOPPY DISK!!!  (I have to buy them on eBay.  I went in Staples once and asked if they had these and the 18 yr old serving me said “what IS that??”.  Yes, she’s old, but she sews and sews and sews.  She’s a work horse and I loooove her.  

EDF7CF40-E89B-4941-B114-3A58073417A2.jpeg

Wow!  What a fancy, high-tech set-up!

• Love 5
10 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

This sounds exactly like me after my recent knee replacement. The first knee surgery went great..the second was AWFUL. I thought I'd never be able to stop taking all the (strong) pain pills.

I said all that to say this: it does get better!  I promise.

Also ,I totally understand wanting your doctor to really hear you. You try to succinctly detail what is really, really hurting you..and you get what I call "the dismissive yeah, yeah" from them (I swear, it seemed like he wanted to pat me on my head.)

I think they are too jaded from seeing too many patients. If you can, try and see the nurse practitioner if they have one..I've found them MUCH more empathetic and willing to really listen. Good luck!

I'm sorry you had such a rough time with your second replacement.  I would have been bonkers with that, since the first one went so well for you.  My brain would have been screaming NOT FAIR!!!!

I think everybody has that same reaction to doctors:  HEAR ME!!!  LISTEN TO MEEEEEEE!!!!!

It makes me want to shake them, seriously.  I am a very "homey" girl.  Very southern, very talky (SURPRISE!!!), and kind of "needy" with the doctor.  I'm trusting them, I'm believing they are going to help me, I'm totally dependent on them.  I don't KNOW what they know.  I don't have ANY WAY of making this better without them, and when I feel like they aren't listening - (no, I mean REALLY listening, looking at me, nodding in understanding and addressing what I'm saying) - I will MAKE them listen.  I got really good at that caring for my parents.  I had to be the one to say what was wrong, what I saw, what I did, what I knew.  Fortunately, we had doctors who KNEW my parents by sight.  I am a FIRM believer that if the doctor would LISTEN TO ME, or to whomever is trying to give them information, they would ALWAYS be able to diagnose better.  They just would, and that's a fact.  My daughter laughed and laughed about my pain diagram on my foot - but it made him pay attention and he actually took my foot and studied my arrows.  

And I looooooooooooooooooove nurse practitioners.  I love love love them. 

• Love 5

I hear ya! I hate when doctors or anyone in the medical establishment do not want to listen. Like my one doctor said it is my body, and I know when something is not right. I wish I had the one doctor I had when I was first diagnosed with Graves Disease. He said he was going to treat the illness and not just the symptoms, and I will get better. My endocrinologist is a saint for dealing with me. He probably thinks my husband is a better patient than I am. Ha! I have told my medical team I am a lot luckier than a lot of people, and at least one of them said yes, but you have been through a lot also.

And I found out yesterday, one of my cousin's spouse had a kidney/pancreas transplant in Seattle. I guess she has diabetes. Wishing her the best of luck for a long and healthy life with her new organs.

Edited by bigskygirl

@Happyfatchick - thanks for the update and glad that the foot is cooperating!!!!  I love those machines!  I love a Brother machine.  And yes, Babylock is made by the Brother company, different outside and sometimes a different "package", but innards are the same.  I have several Brothers and most recently got a used PQ1500 to quilt on.  I love to do the free motion quilting.  Not that I am an expert, but, it is getting better.  

Will await your next foot update!!

• Love 3