Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I have a Chinese crested who doesn't know whether he needs to pee or poop. We've witnessed him getting into pee position and then trying to maneuver into poop position once he realizes he guessed wrong. In the park he will lift his leg against a tree and poop. I'm convinced he would be considered special needs if he were human.

• Love 13

I thought I read a post about a dog who seemed embarrassed to do his or her business, but now I can't find it! Anyway, our dog is the same way. She'll pee anywhere, but she definitely backs herself into the bushes on the side of the trail when she's pooping. Maybe it's just a privacy thing.

I've never seen her balance on two or even three legs to do her business, but she did do a strange Karate-Kid-like maneuver (standing tall on her hind legs with her front paws in the air) when a cat had the audacity to come into our back yard. I had no idea she could balance that long.

And, yes, she does a mean downward facing dog! :)

• Love 5

My dog is a poop walker. She can't go in a neat pile, she does this weird squatting walk while she's pooping, so it comes out in different spots all over my backyard. And right now it's 42 degrees but the sun is out for the first time in days, so she's determined to lie in the sun. But she keeps coming inside every 20 minutes or so to warm up. Big weirdo.

Is anyone else getting weird error messages today when they try to advance pages in the threads? I can read one page but it won't let me click to the next page of posts.

• Love 5

I am practically in tears laughing this morning with all the doggie posts. My goodness they are crazy aren't they? For all the dog lovers who also "do" Facebook, it's worth following/liking "Off the Leash." His cartoons are hilarious and spot on.

Crazycatlady58 isn't that the truth? Tears of sorrow and joy all in a few minutes.

Emma675 re: the error messages I've been having all kinds of odd technical issues since yesterday. The quote function isn't working like it normally does sometimes, and the "go to first unread post" isn't working a lot of the time for me. I'm also getting a lot of errors related to a script stopped running.

• Love 5

My dog is a poop walker. She can't go in a neat pile, she does this weird squatting walk while she's pooping, so it comes out in different spots all over my backyard. And right now it's 42 degrees but the sun is out for the first time in days, so she's determined to lie in the sun. But she keeps coming inside every 20 minutes or so to warm up. Big weirdo.

Is anyone else getting weird error messages today when they try to advance pages in the threads? I can read one page but it won't let me click to the next page of posts.

Ours too. 3 poops, as she scoots, getting progressively smaller in size.

And wow, who knew there are so many different ways for pets to do their business. (I did recently read an article that dogs like to poop facing - North - I think)

• Love 1

Anyone want to talk about guaranteed solutions for keeping a cat from peeing around the house - other than getting rid of the cat? I have read all over the internetz but am hoping for solid anecdotal advice. The cat in question does not have any kind of infection, and almost always uses the litter box but there is the occasional indiscretion in another part of the house.

Anyone want to talk about guaranteed solutions for keeping a cat from peeing around the house - other than getting rid of the cat? I have read all over the internetz but am hoping for solid anecdotal advice. The cat in question does not have any kind of infection, and almost always uses the litter box but there is the occasional indiscretion in another part of the house.

I've had many cats, and known people with many cats. Cats are not "trained" to use the litter box, they use it because it is the most adaptable to their needs. If there is a potted plant that's closer, that's where they'll go. Deep pile carpet under the dining room table, that works too!

The best advice is to keep the litter box as clean and pleasant as possible so that becomes the best place for them to go. Also, they won't void near their food dishes so if they've found a spot they like other than the litter box, try putting their food dish there. But, if they are like some of my cats, you'll have food dishes scattered around the house!

I believe that the myth that cats are clean, is truly a myth. Every cat I've owned or known someone else to own has gone outside of the box on many occasion. Those who claim that their cat doesn't, are either lying because they don't want to admit there is cat pee or poo in their house, or they haven't found the sweet spot yet!

Congratulations! You now know where the sweet spot is!

• Love 4

If it's very infrequent then you may break the cat by putting aluminum foil over the spot.  I'll reiterate keeping the litter box clean and possibly adding another litter box.  If it's fairly often you might want to consider another brand of litter.  See if you can figure out any commonalities to the indiscretions.  We had one cat who wet in my daughter's laundry basket every time daughter spent the night away from home.  We removed the laundry basket and put a litter pan in the spot. 

• Love 2

Jumping on the band, errr...poowagon here ! My gorgeous goofball, a Belgian Malinois rescued from Duggar country, likes to poo in a circle, then gets confused when he has to jump out of it ! I dunno - he's such a weirdo ! He's also pooped on a small evergreen, and I'm thoroughly convinced he was decorating it for Christmas...

I use biodegradable poo bags, and carry them with me everywhere. They've fallen out of my purse and pockets in every conceivable public and social situation including a restaurant date and at a viewing at a funeral home. I just hate being caught off guard ! While I understand that everyone is human and can be forgetful I can't STAND when people don't clean up after their dogs ! I'm usually very vigilant in looking where I walk, but stepping in it is inevitable. I just throw the shoes away and I'm not kidding here ! I'm not a vet or educated in contagious canine diseases so I may be going overboard, but I wouldn't bring shoes into my house with God-knows-what on them and then proceed to scrub it off. So much yuck - there isn't a Hazmat suit thick enough to erase the heebie-jeebies for me. 

Oh - please add me to the list of people having trouble with glitches here and formatting problems while posting. Though it seems to have resolved for me in the last hour I still wanted to post that so that no one thinks that it's just them. Maybe some of the elves at PTV had the weekend off ?!

Very excited about the Golden Globes tonight ! I watch very little mainstream TV, and rarely go to the movies anymore, but I'm all about awards season for some reason. Gonna make popcorn - the real kind on the stove - and watch Ricky Gervais skewer people mercilessly. Anyone else watching ?

• Love 4

David posted an announcement this morning about Cloudflare issues that apparently not everyone has seen:

"You cannot reply to this topic

David T. Cole

Today. 2:29 am

- editor bar missing

- certificate mismatch warnings

- ad space scrambled

- other stuff probably

Our host put us behind Cloudflare.com, a proxy/CDN?stuff service and it's sorta (completely) not working. I'll let them know it needs to be reverted ASAP. "

• Love 3

If it's very infrequent then you may break the cat by putting aluminum foil over the spot. I'll reiterate keeping the litter box clean and possibly adding another litter box. If it's fairly often you might want to consider another brand of litter. See if you can figure out any commonalities to the indiscretions. We had one cat who wet in my daughter's laundry basket every time daughter spent the night away from home. We removed the laundry basket and put a litter pan in the spot.

I tried the aluminum foil idea recently and the cat obligingly peed on it. I was amazed because he hates the crinkle. We have three litter boxes, none near food, and keep them clean. We may need to add one more.

I have had many cats in my life, too, and never had this level of problem before. Our family has just been through a couple of years of (genuine) crisis after crisis and, ridiculously, this peeing sometimes seems like the straw that will break the camel's back, even though in the scheme of things it is pretty easily coped with. Trying to keep it in perspective, but still hoping for a real fix.

One of my friends also has a cat that would per in displeasure whenever the daughter was away. Weird! Can't think of any particular thread that applies to my guy, though. I doubt he is protesting anything. He HAS been known to pee in anything bay seems like a container, which I kind of understand. But random floor - I dunno.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Jackson galaxy the cat behaviorist recommends more than one litter box. I think he said put one near the offending spot.

That makes sense to me. I wonder then if you gradually move it so eventually it is somewhere acceptable to humans and cats alike? I will investigate. Thanks!

• Love 1

Very excited about the Golden Globes tonight ! I watch very little mainstream TV, and rarely go to the movies anymore, but I'm all about awards season for some reason. Gonna make popcorn - the real kind on the stove - and watch Ricky Gervais skewer people mercilessly. Anyone else watching ?

Not watching (that tiny apartment/no tv life) but I am keeping up with all the red carpet listicles and I have a few people I hope are winners, so I'll definitely be catching up in the morning. So exciting!!

• Love 2

My oldest's cat was a rescue cat. Pretty scittish at first but quickly settled into our family including with our two dogs. Flash forward about four years. Our second daughter was born. For the next two years he was different, mean almost. He peed and pooped where he wanted. We tried everything. Drove me crazy. Then in a short period of time he snapped and started attacking us so off he went. It made us wonder if his previous home had small ones that abused him. We will never own another cat.

Yes, I am watching the Globes on the cable's eastern feed. I also watch very few of the TV nominees and haven't seen the movies, either. But Gervais cracks me up.... I usually don't like mean humor. But I like his. And I just love the awards shows and all the fashion. Popcorn is gonna be made here, too. Air popper with real butter added.

• Love 2

I keep telling my props guys there needs to be a category at the awards shows for awesome seat embroidery. No one listens to me.

There should be, HFC ! Or, they could do a set design with director's chairs on stage with the names of all the iconic TV and movie stars of the past who have won Golden Globes, and YOU can make them ! Yeah, I like that idea. Somebody get my agent on the phone...  ;)

I watched the whole show and was pretty underwhelmed. I've always liked Ricky Gervais, but he seemed off his game tonight. But, whatever ! The dresses were pretty, Jim Carrey and Andy Samberg were hilarious, and Brad Pitt arrived looking like he hadn't aged a day since A River Runs Through It. I swear, there must be a painting of him in his attic that's looking pretty haggard right now...

• Love 3

SomePity I don't know the movies, tv shows, or people.  I hate the idea of such ecocentric people having televised shows where they award themselves something every week.  Good excuse to get dressed up and eat and drink.  The Golden Globes with Ricky Gervaise are a different deal altogether.  Love me some snide comments, not all received by such a hoity toity in love with themselves group.  I liked Ricky's bits, there just were not enough of them.  

• Love 5

I tried the aluminum foil idea recently and the cat obligingly peed on it. I was amazed because he hates the crinkle. We have three litter boxes, none near food, and keep them clean. We may need to add one more.

Other tricks I have seen/heard of are to put down double-sided tape in the offending spot, or a piece of plastic carpet runner with the pointy side facing UP.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 1

Aw geez. Just spent his birthday listening to his music all day on KEXP radio. I did not know he was ill, though. Am so very saddened to read this. Such a big part of the "soundtrack" of my young adulthood.

RIP, David.

ETA: KEXP (KEXP.org) are continuing the tribute today, if anyone feels like tuning in. This is independent radio, so you won't be hit with commercials. Just knowledgable DJs talking about Bowie and playing his music.

• Love 1

There is a lovely compilation of sentiments upon hearing of his passing on Slate. Frankly, his music wasn't my cup of tea, but I still appreciated what he brought. These are my two favorites:

From Guillermo del Toro:

Bowie existed so all of us misfits learned that an oddity was a precious thing. he changed the world forever.

From Carrie Brownstein:

It feels like we lost something elemental, as if an entire color is gone.
  • Love 9

Yes, do tell!

Wake up to the news of Natalie Cole being buried today and David Bowie passing.  Sad music day.

I too believe that the over-paid people pat themselves on the back WAY too much with all the award shows, so I rarely watch, but to see RIcky who believes no one and no subject is off limits all I can say is "go get em!"  That includes you Mel Gibson.

• Love 8

I can't believe David Bowie is gone. He was an original and an inspiration to millions of musicians.

I LOVED Ricky Gervais last night. I really wish the (too long) Golden Globes was on a cable channel so the network could dispense with the bleeping, especially since I would have enjoyed being able to follow the jokes...

• Love 4

Re The Revenant:

Director and Producer couldn't agree on anything and Producer promised shit that was impossible due to climate, weather, logistics. Not enough research done so huge issues regarding the natural light that the "artistic" director insisted on. Safety issues up the wazoo. Crew and actors put at risk in the name of "art". Director had fits and took it all out on the crew rather than the producer, whose fault most of it was. Tom Hardy actually put the Director in a headlock and wrestled him to the ground one day when he had had his fill of the director treating the crew so badly. Leo took off for six weeks over xmas break instead of the two he was supposed to be gone, and screwed things up all the more. Hid in his heated trailer and didn't get involved at all so quite hilarious to hear him going on and on about the difficulties of the shoot physically cus he was treated like fine china.

Crew mutinied and walked off. Fifty of them. Crew replaced. Most of that replacement crew fired as they had the same issues as first crew.

Actor dragged along the ground nude in very very harsh weather over and over. .Director insisting on more takes and more takes. Wouldn't wait until next day due to his lighting issues and fears of continuity issues.

The first crew actually built a snowman replica of the director. .a devil snowman and used a tiny twig where the penis would be. ( Son not involved as too professional and a quiet guy at heart. .not a rebel)

Tom Hardy has the pics on his cell).

Safety equipment not used or modified in dangerous ways.

Sooooo yeah.

I used to like Leo but my son killed that.

He's also a buzzkill to watch most movies with as he's just too damned knowledgeable.

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 16

Yes to hearing about Bowie. Such an original and will be missed very much.

Re Golden Globes. I have a lot of dirt on the Revenant, the Director AND Mr DiCaprio. Youngest worked on it.

Its all over the internet about the look LD gave Lady Gaga when she passed by him like she had somehow dissed him but he had his arm in her path and it seemed like she just didn't noticed it but somehow its a big deal. I don't get why its even a story. (but I'd love to hear yours...)
  • Love 1

One of the first "grownup" records I ever owned was Bowie's Hunky Dory, with the brilliant "Changes". It was actually an 8-Track, and I still have it. 

Rest in Peace, Thin White Duke. 

MarysWetBar - I was riveted by your story ! Please, please give us more ! I'm fascinated by the stories of "real" people meeting celebrities, so, please, cozy up on the couch with a mug of cocoa and keep writing !!!

• Love 5

Re The Revenant:

Director and Producer couldn't agree on anything and Producer promised shit that was impossible due to climate, weather, logistics. .

He's also a buzzkill to watch most movies with as he's just too damned knowledgeable.

Thanks for sharing the info, MARYSWETBAR. Sounds like they were very lucky no one was seriously injured or killed. I won't be seeing the movie...too violent for me.

• Love 5

Re The Revenant:

Director and Producer couldn't agree on anything and Producer promised shit that was impossible due to climate, weather, logistics. Not enough research done so huge issues regarding the natural light that the "artistic" director insisted on. Safety issues up the wazoo. Crew and actors put at risk in the name of "art". Director had fits and took it all out on the crew rather than the producer, whose fault most of it was. Tom Hardy actually put the Director in a headlock and wrestled him to the ground one day when he had had his fill of the director treating the crew so badly. Leo took off for six weeks over xmas break instead of the two he was supposed to be gone, and screwed things up all the more. Hid in his heated trailer and didn't get involved at all so quite hilarious to hear him going on and on about the difficulties of the shoot physically cus he was treated like fine china.

Crew mutinied and walked off. Fifty of them. Crew replaced. Most of that replacement crew fired as they had the same issues as first crew.

Actor dragged along the ground nude in very very harsh weather over and over. .Director insisting on more takes and more takes. Wouldn't wait until next day due to his lighting issues and fears of continuity issues.

The first crew actually built a snowman replica of the director. .a devil snowman and used a tiny twig where the penis would be. ( Son not involved as too professional and a quiet guy at heart. .not a rebel)

Tom Hardy has the pics on his cell).

Safety equipment not used or modified in dangerous ways.

Sooooo yeah.

Thanks for this post, Marys. Never been any kind of a fan of young Mr DiCaprio. Always felt he was highly-overrated. Titanic remains the only one of his movies that appealed to me. Saw The Aviator because of Martin S only

• Love 3

Rest in Peace, Thin White Duke. 

MarysWetBar - I was riveted by your story ! Please, please give us more ! I'm fascinated by the stories of "real" people meeting celebrities, so, please, cozy up on the couch with a mug of cocoa and keep writing !!!

SomePity, the first thing I said to my husband when he told me the news this morning: "The Thin White Duke". I'm listening to Seattle's KEXP streaming Bowie's music today.

MarysWetBar: EXCELLENT background dirt! I've never really been into Leonardo DiCaprio, but my meh-ness turned into active dislike when I saw the way he side-eyed Lady Gaga. She's not allowed to touch him because she's not a Victoria's Secret model? What a pig. And his whole statement about First Nations people? $20 says it was pre-written by his publicist.

I hope to hear more dirt on other movies as well.

I was very happy that Inside Out won last night. What a terrific movie.

• Love 9

I love this place, you can go from crying to laugher in a few posts. The dog poo posts made my morning. Thanks for the joy.

100% true. This forum is the "MASH" of the Internet. One moment I'm crying, the next I'm LOL-ing - LOUDLY - all alone in my apartment. Bless all your pea-picking hearts!

• Love 11

There should be, HFC ! Or, they could do a set design with director's chairs on stage with the names of all the iconic TV and movie stars of the past who have won Golden Globes, and YOU can make them ! Yeah, I like that idea. Somebody get my agent on the phone...  ;)

I watched the whole show and was pretty underwhelmed. I've always liked Ricky Gervais, but he seemed off his game tonight. But, whatever ! The dresses were pretty, Jim Carrey and Andy Samberg were hilarious, and Brad Pitt arrived looking like he hadn't aged a day since A River Runs Through It. I swear, there must be a painting of him in his attic that's looking pretty haggard right now...

Jim C was hilarious on the Globes. He could literally walk out on a stage and just simply stand there - and I'd be laughing. He doesn't need to say a word. Not one syllable. Others witht this gift, IMO - Tracy Morgan, Zach Galifanakis, Jay Pharoah, Patrick Warburton. Born funny - because you really can't learn it... :>)

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 3

MarysWetBar: fascinating! I hope your son didn't get the brunt of anything bad.

Still can't believe David Bowie is gone. His music was the soundtrack to my teens and related events...like my first kiss....Let's Dance...or was it China Girl? Probably both! RIP Mr. Bowie.

• Love 1

So I was pulling up my pants in the bathroom and all of a sudden I got this weird sensation like my lower back locked up. I've never had this sensation before. It's a cross between how it feels to squueze your butt cheeks really tight and having that feeling spread and having two boards, one in front, one in back from my tummy to my upper thighs. Very stiff. Not in pain but Extremely uncomfortable. I took 800 mg of ibuprofen about two hours ago. No real difference. Want to try cold/hot next but reading conflicting info. I'm leaving towards heat only. My only back problem before this was sciatic pain during pregnancy. Any advice? Thank you!

So I was pulling up my pants in the bathroom and all of a sudden I got this weird sensation like my lower back locked up. I've never had this sensation before. It's a cross between how it feels to squueze your butt cheeks really tight and having that feeling spread and having two boards, one in front, one in back from my tummy to my upper thighs. Very stiff. Not in pain but Extremely uncomfortable. I took 800 mg of ibuprofen about two hours ago. No real difference. Want to try cold/hot next but reading conflicting info. I'm leaving towards heat only. My only back problem before this was sciatic pain during pregnancy. Any advice? Thank you!

Readalot, I am not sure, maybe you pulled a muscle ? I would try heat, but I am Not a doctor so that would be a guess. If you do not get better go to your Dr., if you can. Let us know how you feel.

If it doesn't unlock, go to a doctor or a walk-in clinic, and let a professional diagnose it.

If it does unlock, go to a doctor or a walk-in clinic, and let a professional diagnose it.

Seriously, thirty years ago I had a winter of backaches, and I now know from pictures at the time that one of my shoulders was always higher than the other.  I ignored it because ignoring it is always the cheapest medicine, and then two days after I paid for non-refundable tickets to Hawaii departing four weeks later, I picked up an empty plastic wastebasket (one pound, max), and one of the disks in my spine scooted sideways.  Liquid fire in my back, unending pain, shoulder even higher, and as I discovered when I drove myself home, the muscles involved were exactly the muscles you need to operate the clutch of a standard transmission car.

Two hours in an ER, three days of bed rest (because I literally could not get in or out of bed without help), three weeks of rehab, exercise, and "back class", and I made my trip to Hawaii.  But I learned not to dismiss back pain, and to this day a certain twinge in my back causes me to sit bolt upright with a posture that the Dowager Countess of Grantham would approve.

• Love 4

Sometimes you are better off not looking up symptoms all the time.  And not thinking about it.  Although I rarely go to the doctor (by the time an appt is available, I'm usually better anyway) my sister wants to have a name for everything I have ever had.  I usually just want to be well and don't even ask the name of what is wrong so I can't tell her.  Infuriates her.  She likes to look it up so she can tell me what I did wrong 5 years ago to cause this.  She's even tried calling my doctor, who asks if he has my permission to talk to her.  I said hell no, unless he wants a lawsuit.  Anyway, I so far have usually gotten well without intervention.  Do what fells better to alleviate it.  Sooner or later it goes away.  

• Love 5

Micks you are such a hoot! I love your no nonsense ways :)

I'm similar to a degree. Always careful about checking my bp and taking pills every day at the same time but other than that. .i try to ignore random stuff and just hope it goes away.

If i ever woke up one morning with no pain anywhere, I'd think I was dead!

• Love 7

If it doesn't unlock, go to a doctor or a walk-in clinic, and let a professional diagnose it.

If it does unlock, go to a doctor or a walk-in clinic, and let a professional diagnose it.

Seriously, thirty years ago I had a winter of backaches, and I now know from pictures at the time that one of my shoulders was always higher than the other. I ignored it because ignoring it is always the cheapest medicine, and then two days after I paid for non-refundable tickets to Hawaii departing four weeks later, I picked up an empty plastic wastebasket (one pound, max), and one of the disks in my spine scooted sideways. Liquid fire in my back, unending pain, shoulder even higher, and as I discovered when I drove myself home, the muscles involved were exactly the muscles you need to operate the clutch of a standard transmission car.

Two hours in an ER, three days of bed rest (because I literally could not get in or out of bed without help), three weeks of rehab, exercise, and "back class", and I made my trip to Hawaii. But I learned not to dismiss back pain, and to this day a certain twinge in my back causes me to sit bolt upright with a posture that the Dowager Countess of Grantham would approve.

wow I'm glad you ended up ok. My friend who is a RN threw out her back flipping a patient. She could not even go up and down stairs she was always in so much pain. Vowed not to do surgery. Ended up going to Costa Rica, stayed in the water for two weeks and came back a cured woman.
  • Love 2

Sometimes you are better off not looking up symptoms all the time. And not thinking about it. Although I rarely go to the doctor (by the time an appt is available, I'm usually better anyway) my sister wants to have a name for everything I have ever had. I usually just want to be well and don't even ask the name of what is wrong so I can't tell her. Infuriates her. She likes to look it up so she can tell me what I did wrong 5 years ago to cause this. She's even tried calling my doctor, who asks if he has my permission to talk to her. I said hell no, unless he wants a lawsuit. Anyway, I so far have usually gotten well without intervention. Do what fells better to alleviate it. Sooner or later it goes away.

aww I guess it's your sisters way of showing she cares. - yeah I hate going to the dr. too. It has to be pretty bad for me to take meds since they either don't work or I have side effects. I'm feeling better now. I laid down with a heating pad. The tightness is moving lower. Which is a good thing, I need to dial into a clients and do some after hours work for a few hours. Otherwise I probably would of went to bed! I will take some more ibuprofen before I hit the sack. Another sign of getting old? Ugh.

Readalot and MarysWetBar, let's form a trio to Costa Rica for the CURE.

that will work! I'm in!
  • Love 2

Micks you are such a hoot! I love your no nonsense ways :)

I'm similar to a degree. Always careful about checking my bp and taking pills every day at the same time but other than that. .i try to ignore random stuff and just hope it goes away.

If i ever woke up one morning with no pain anywhere, I'd think I was dead!

I'm at that point too. The minute there's no pain, then I worry. Lol!

• Love 4

sometimes my lower back grips up.  I take a lot of ibuprofen, use ice on it, and keep moving.  It stiffens up if I lie down too long.  Sitting usually hard.  It is hard to walk with it all so tight, but, the more I move, with the ice pack strapped on, the better it gets.  at least for me.  I don't believe I have any underlying condition.

On another note, medically related, we recently moved to this area, a suburb of a big city with alleged good medical care.  Had our introductory appointments at a satellite clinic of a big medical school, big city clinics, etc.  My dr. poo-poo'd my current thyroid treatment and said the T-3 is just like caffeine.  Well, except not.  She is referring me to an endocrinologist.  In my other city, I lucked into a doctor who understood the thyroid and helped me to feel human again.  Then he went to concierge medicine and I had to search around to find another doctor who understood.  I found a family practitioner who monitored my bloodwork, always asked me how I felt (of all things, not going just by numbers) and prescribes what I need.  He is an option if I want to travel back there twice a year.  There is a lot of controversy even among endocrinologists about thyroid levels.  I follow Mary Shomon, a thyroid advocate.   I have referrals for doctors in other specialties I need.  She also tried to push the big osteoporosis drugs on me even though I said I am not going to take them.  She said if my DEXA scan is not good, I will Have To Reconsider.  Okay,  I will reconsider and reject.  She also poo-poo'd the current regimen I am on, which I came to after many hours on the forum of the National Osteoporosis Foundation.  I really believe doctors listen too much to drug reps. She did say she can do the gyno part and will prescribe what I need for that area.   I will have a lot of work ahead of me.  Always a crap shoot.

Mr. lookeyloo had another doctor in same clinic.  Over the last two months, at different times, each of his big toes has developed a cellulitis infection. Not gout as near as any of the doctors can tell.  Can't culture because the skin isn't broken.  Not around the nails.  He is not a picker.  all looks good.  This doctor is convinced he had ingrown toenails and would send him to a podiatrist.  Oy veh.  Mr. has also had a heart attack while on a statin several years ago (all his numbers were very low), bypass surgery, every known side effect to that including a sternal wound infection which brought us back to an infectious disease clinic of the same big university/medical school for  a second opinion.  That doctor was great.  Anyway, this new doctor is pushing statins.  Why?  They apparently didn't work on Mr. 

So our strategy is to try out the specialists we need for our respective conditions, and use the urgent care clinic in our neighborhood where we did see a "real doctor" the last time Mr.'s other toe acted up.  These appointments I guess serve as a gateway into the system.  And once we get established here we can switch.  

One of the reasons we moved here was good medical care.  I guess it is someplace.  We will have to look.  I did have my hip replaced here because they did a more advanced surgery and that surgery 8 years later is finally appearing in the city we moved from.

First world problems, I know, but still annoying.

• Love 4