Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday TV Movies & (Non-Rankin Bass) Holiday Specials - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

After seeing a Zoom interview with Fran Drescher re The Christmas Setup I wanted to check it out, but I don't get Lifetime. I might have temporary access starting in January, but...

I hope you find a way to watch. Like I said, I really did enjoy it. I saw an interview with the leads about working with Fran, and they talked about how she took things that weren't necessarily funny in the script and found ways to play it in a funny way. I could definitely see that. I think the movie benefited from having a longtime sitcom actress in that role that differentiated it from the other parental actors. Her acting style (and voice) might have bugged some people, but I really enjoy it. I also found out that the lead couple are actually married in real life, and several other people involved in the project are also homosexual, so they apparently helped craft the movie in a way that would be sensitive to that storyline.

ETA: I don't want to forget to acknowledge Ellen Wong, who played the best friend, Madelyn. I really enjoyed her as well. She was also funny and a good friend. Really, like I said in the first post, I think the main cast was all solid.  

Edited by EyewatchTV211
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Guys, don't sleep on A Sugar & Spice Holiday that aired Sunday on Lifetime.

I thought the promo for the movie looked awful but I decided to start it with the intention of bailing early.  Instead, it had me within the first five minutes or so.  It's adorable.  It's funny and light hearted.  The duo have chemistry.  It really took me by surprise.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Agreed with the people that think Peter Porte's character in Dashing in December had a mean streak that turned me off. I enjoy Juan Pablo Di Pace from his Fernando days so I kept watching. I might give the movie another shot but I definitely preferred the Christmas setup. I did think that they clearly put more money into Dashing in December- I was shocked to hear actual licensed music instead of muzak.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
On 12/8/2020 at 10:54 AM, Aliconehead said:

I have to say I enjoyed Santa’s Squad. Yes the story line has been done before but there were a few things I liked. 1.) they got rid of the nasty girlfriend obstacle early on. 2.) no one was a Christmas hater nor really that over the top. 3.) this kids acted age appropriately 4.) when people pointed out the dad was being a little neglectful, he acknowledge he was and did not get mad. .5) the final obstacle was actually valid and not “I saw you talking to a random woman who must be your soul mate even though you have been flirting with me the whole movie”. 

all in all would watch again, but that may be my Ashmore love (really don’t care if it’s Aaron and Shawn)

I enjoyed Santa's Squad too ! Had some really cute moments and not too over the top.   I really wish the writers of these Christmas movies would quit with the redundant "drama" they like to throw in towards the last 20 minutes or so of the movie. It adds nothing___ to the enjoyment of the movie and most people would be fine if  that scenario was omitted altogether. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I thought the promo for the movie looked awful but I decided to start it with the intention of bailing early.  Instead, it had me within the first five minutes or so.  It's adorable.  It's funny and light hearted.  The duo have chemistry.  It really took me by surprise.

I agree.  Of the 3 movies with minorities you never see in a Christmas movies last weekend, Sugar & Spice was my favourite. Everything just with clicks with that movie and I'm glad we don't have another plot where pursuing your career is considered evil.

Which was my problem with the Christmas setup. Apart from that, everything else was great and Fran Drescher definitively elevate the material.

Which brings me to Dashing in December. Everyone already mentioned Peter Porte's character was an asshole but i find both of the lead characters condescending and insufferable. I know we are supposed to take Juan Pablo Di Pace's character's side, but he was just as judgemental as his love interest. Great production value though, and i can watch that dance scene with Kacey Musgraves's music over and over again.

Overall, as a gay Asian, happy to see these characters and love stories popping into the usually very white and straight Christmas movies. Now maybe we can do one with a gay Asian character?

Edited by argrow
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, argrow said:

Which was my problem with the Christmas setup. Apart from that, everything else was great and Fran Drescher definitively elevate the material.

I don't know that it was portrayed as evil.  Or at least not too evil.  It's just that they were all connected to the community of Milwaukee--so much so that the tech guy took his fortune to set up a foundation in his hometown.  He didn't want to do long distance and his family missed the lawyer.  So I get that why they didn't want him in NY/London.  And he probably get nicely set up in Milwaukee as well.  What was the resolution on that?  I forgot.

10 minutes ago, argrow said:

Which brings me to Dashing in December. Everyone already mentioned Peter Porte's character was an asshole but i find both of the lead character condescending and insufferable. I know we are supposed to take Juan Pablo Di Pace's character's side, but he was just as judgemental as his love interest.

I think they were both judgmental in the first half, although I still maintain Peter Porte's character was worse considering he still called Heath "Hank" after being corrected.  And I think he took a far worse turn towards the end of the movie.

12 minutes ago, argrow said:

Everything just with clicks with that movie

Yep.  Everything just clicked with it.  Good chem.  Good friends to flirting.  Good resolution.  I did have to laugh, though, at the dinner scene when the guy finally wins over her mother.  I just read a book where the girl goes to eat at her love interest's house.  He's also Asian and she did exactly the same thing which wowed his mother.

2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

All right, I will try it out. The promo looked absolutely awful so I didn’t bother to record it, but will look to see when it comes on again.

I finally got around to watching Princess Switch 2 and enjoyed it. Not as good as the first, but still much better than most of the movies I’ve watched so far on Hallmark and Lifetime. 

10 hours ago, twoods said:

All right, I will try it out. The promo looked absolutely awful

That promo was dreadful. Atrocious.  So much so that I think it was one of the biggest shocks when five minutes in I realized that I was probably going to find it delightful--especially when they compared the characters to foods. 

I hope you like it.  If nothing else, it won't be as bad as that promo.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

That promo was dreadful. Atrocious.  So much so that I think it was one of the biggest shocks when five minutes in I realized that I was probably going to find it delightful--especially when they compared the characters to foods. 

I hope you like it.  If nothing else, it won't be as bad as that promo.

I watched and really enjoyed it. For once a Christmas rom com that actually made me laugh

• Love 1
17 hours ago, argrow said:

I agree.  Of the 3 movies with minorities you never see in a Christmas movies last weekend, Sugar & Spice was my favourite. Everything just with clicks with that movie and I'm glad we don't have another plot where pursuing your career is considered evil.

Sugar & Spice was decent, but what stopped me from liking it more was that they included too many of the usual obstacles, and you knew they were all coming. The unsaved work plans, him being mad at her for sharing his ideas to help his career without telling him, a work misunderstanding about who got the job, and then the potential issue of whether they could be together if she went to Australia (though I'm glad they resolved that by having him go with her). I feel like there was another that I'm forgetting. They weren't major, but it was enough to annoy me each time something else happened.  

ETA what I did like: I thought it was hilarious that her dad spoke with the southern American accent after learning English by listening to country music or Johnny Cash or whoever it was. That cracked me up almost every time. And they did have good chemistry and other funny moments. The movie included some things that aren't typical for these movies with the dessert references, grandma appearing from her imagination to guide her, etc. It's just frustrating to me that there are some movies that are so close to finally being "good" for what they are and completely enjoyable, but they don't quite get there because they have to throw in one of the usual, annoying tropes. 

Edited by EyewatchTV211
  • Useful 1
13 minutes ago, EyewatchTV211 said:

Sugar & Spice was decent, but what stopped me from liking it more was that they included too many of the usual obstacles, and you knew they were all coming. The unsaved work plans, him being mad at her for sharing his ideas to help his career without telling him, a work misunderstanding about who got the job, and then the potential issue of whether they could be together if she went to Australia (though I'm glad they resolved that by having him go with her). I feel like there was another that I'm forgetting. They weren't major, but it was enough to annoy me each time something else happened. And why didn't they really include his father at all? He supposedly came home to help him when he was sick, and then he could leave when he was better. But we only see her family, unless his father was that random dude in the background a couple of times.

ETA what I did like: I thought it was hilarious that her dad spoke with the southern American accent after learning English by listening to country music or Johnny Cash or whoever it was. That cracked me up almost every time. And they did have good chemistry and other funny moments. The movie included some things that aren't typical for these movies with the dessert references, grandma appearing from her imagination to guide her, etc. It's just frustrating to me that there are some movies that are so close to finally being "good" for what they are and completely enjoyable, but they don't quite get there because they have to throw in one of the usual, annoying tropes. 

20 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

18 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Yep.  Everything just clicked with it.  Good chem.  Good friends to flirting.  Good resolution.  I did have to laugh, though, at the dinner scene when the guy finally wins over her mother.  I just read a book where the girl goes to eat at her love interest's house.  He's also Asian and she did exactly the same thing which wowed his mother.

I've never had stinky tofu.  I wonder if I would be able to tolerate it, since I can tolerate eating other "weird" Asian food like chicken feet, or tripe, or pig ears. 

I'm re-posting my thoughts on A Sugar & Spice Holiday here, because I realized that I posted on the Hallmark movies forum (d'oh!) and this was a Lifetime movie:

There was one particular holiday movie I was looking forward to seeing because I think it's the first movie centering on an Asian American family - A Sugar & Spice Holiday I can recall on any channel. Here's what stood out for me:

* there was a lot more humor than these type of movies usually have (maybe a little too much with all the food puns)

* the bread kneading scene was the steamiest I can recall in a holiday movie EVER - on any channel  (was that just my imagination?)

* the stereotypes weren't over the top:  yes, the female lead is a Type A personality who almost always got "A" marks in school but the other characters weren't stereotypical Asians (Tiger Mom, STEM field dad/brother); I was glad they didn't dodge the whole "where are you really from" interactions that Asians experience in America

* Curious there was an ancestor altar for just the one grandma (Nema), but no other grandparent - and even more surprising - not even a mention of any other grandparent!

Finally, OMG - I love that Asian inspired apron that belonged to grandma Nema.  I want, I want, I want...

Edited by norcalgal
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, norcalgal said:

I've never had stinky tofu.  I wonder if I would be able to tolerate it, since I can tolerate eating other "weird" Asian food like chicken feet, or tripe, or pig ears. 

I'm re-posting my thoughts on A Sugar & Spice Holiday here, because I realized that I posted on the Hallmark movies forum (d'oh!) and this was a Lifetime movie:

There was one particular holiday movie I was looking forward to seeing because I think it's the first movie centering on an Asian American family - A Sugar & Spice Holiday I can recall on any channel. Here's what stood out for me:

* there was a lot more humor than these type of movies usually have (maybe a little too much with all the food puns)

* the bread kneading scene was the steamiest I can recall in a holiday movie EVER - on any channel  (was that just my imagination?)

* the stereotypes weren't over the top:  yes, the female lead is a Type A personality who almost always got "A" marks in school but the other characters weren't stereotypical Asians (Tiger Mom, STEM field dad/brother); I was glad they didn't dodge the whole "where are you really from" interactions that Asians experience in America

* Curious there was an ancestor altar for just the one grandma (Nema), but no other grandparent - and even more surprising - not even a mention of any other grandparent!

Finally, OMG - I love that Asian inspired apron that belonged to grandma Nema.  I want, I want, I want...

The bread kneading scene was steamy as hell

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Watched A Very Nutty Christmas and it made me sad, seeing Conchata Ferrell in one of her last roles.😭

I love this movie.  I think Chip is so sexy!!  It's a cute movie and I try and watch it whenever it's on.

• Love 3

Saw a bit of Christmas Pen Pals which was on Lifetime two years ago with Sarah Drew and Niall Matter, who is always good in whatever he’s in. I liked their chemistry and the storyline. It’s sad that I would rather watch an old movie than a new one because there are so many on my DVR and it’s daunting (and exhausting) just looking at the list.

I ended  up watching Santa’s Squad which I enjoyed despite the stupid bitchy girlfriend trope you guys complained about and the ridiculous “misunderstanding” with him blowing up about the glove being in the oven. I liked that the girls weren’t the typical brats, and the actress’s hair was so freaking gorgeous and shiny. Plus, Troy from Veronica Mars is all grown up!

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
On 11/23/2020 at 6:27 PM, Kaoteek said:

Cheesefest, indeed. I almost gave up right there, during the in-your-face opening number, but thankfully, it toned it down later on.

Still, it was rough. "MGM musical meets Hallmark meets A Christmas Carol meets Touched by an Angel meets It's a Wonderful Life meets community theater meets Dolly Parton - but with no budget, awkward lip-synching, flat direction and staging on a cheap overlit backlot" rough.

Every now and then it worked thanks to Dolly, Baranski, Treat Williams, or a song or two, but overall, it will probably end up being a holiday favorite for MST3k-type snarky commentary.

Don't care. Dollycan do no wrong. I'm watching it now, and am loving it. There's no way my husband would make it. But I'm enjoying myself. It is light fluff. But I need that right now. 

• Love 4

In the time it takes to drink one cup of cocoa, it is apparently possible for two people to not only decorate a tree with lights, garland and what appears to be 500 decorations, but they can also drape garland over every door and window frame plus the piano and fireplace.

• LOL 4

I liked Sugar and Spice Holiday, it felt real, and the leads were likable.  I also loved the scene when Mom arrives back home first to make sure nothing happens.  The strangest thing was Grandma Nema actually reminded me of a Navajo woman I know (I'm not that crazy because I talked to my sister who also saw the movie and also knew said Navajo woman and she agreed with me that there was a resemblance).

And has anyone else noticed that someone in the Lifetime Scheduling Dept. seems to be having fun?  On my guide Lifetime and Lifetime Movie are next to each other so you see title combinations like: My Husbands Other Family & Feliz NaviDAD or Killing Mommy & The Christmas Setup.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I decided to watch Christmas on the Square because Dolly Parton is a national treasure.   I should have known better.   I had a box of kleenex next to me the whole time.   Schmaltzy as all get it.    Tropes ALL OVER the place.   AND I LOVED IT.    

Go light your Light.   

(and believe)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I am watching 'Same Time, Next Christmas' (2019) with Lea Michel. Rotten Tomatoes gives it 35%, but it's set in Hawaii where my parents lived for 30 years until Dad died in 2015, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I don’t know why this movie is rated so low- I liked it.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, twoods said:

I don’t know why this movie is rated so low- I liked it.

I liked  'Same Time, Next Christmas' too. It was simple, but that also means it didn't have a lot of unbelievable circumstances. 

The one thing that kept throwing me was Nia Vardalos from 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' as Olivia's mom. I guess I needed the dad to be named Ian, LOL.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I can't find a special topic for the Great Christmas Light Fight.....is there one?  Because quite frankly,  whether it's a house display,. or one that stretches for miles....it knocks me off my feet every time....a mere $50,000 award just doesn't seem like enough.  IT SHOULD BE A MILLION!!!!

I couldn't find any posts mentioning it but anyone else watch Christmas Ever After? It featured the leading actress who uses a wheelchair. Is this a first? The actress' name is Ali Stroker. Not familiar with her at all. The movie itself was only okay.

ETA: Nevermind, quite a few posts about it. How did I miss it all? Anyways, it was okay. Canadians are getting the Lifetime movies slow and late, it appears.

Edited by memememe76

Yes, memememe76, W channel in Canada seems to premier the movies a week or two behind the American channels.  I watched about 5 minutes of that movie and tuned out.  The lead was annoying (not because of the wheelchair.)

I am currently watching Nine Lives of Christmas.  An oldie from 2014, but a goody.  All the necessary requirements - a non-annoying lead actress with a handsome lead actor.

Edited by bankerchick
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

I am currently watching Nine Lives of Christmas.  An oldie from 2014, but a goody.  All the necessary requirements - a non-annoying lead actress with a handsome lead actor.

And kitties! This is my favorite holiday fluff movie hands down. Fun, likable leads who act like adults, cats, and a touch of humor. I actually bought the dvd so I can watch it every year.

Joining in with everyone who liked Sugar and Spice Holiday - an unexpected treat! No pun intended.

• Love 2

I actually really enjoyed Christmas Ever After but I think it's because the actress, a broadway star, reminded me of a good friend of mine (also a broadway actress) when she was younger... Ali Stoker's personality came across so much like my friend that I found her a bit endearing. 

I wasn't familiar with her at all prior to this movie and I almost skipped it altogether because the commercials with the weird pictures of the male lead turned me off.  

I did wonder whether this really old B & B was supposedly retrofitted with an elevator, given they were locked in a room on the 2nd floor at one point.   And she'd just miraculously go around the corner and she'd be in her room.  But no mention of it. 

I work with people with disabilities all day and I can tell you that navigating the world built for the non-disabled population can be a daily struggle.  But I guess it's supposed to be a  'feel good' kind of movie so just skipped the details.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

Yes, memememe76, W channel in Canada seems to premier the movies a week or two behind the American channels.  I watched about 5 minutes of that movie and tuned out.  The lead was annoying (not because of the wheelchair.)

The lead in Christmas Ever After started off a bit over-the-top and silly but she does settle down after a bit and is actually very sweet and more normal. I ultimately liked the movie, like Callietwo. I liked it more than I expected to. 

Edited by EyewatchTV211
  • Love 2

Since all media is now the same in 2020, due to scarcity if nothing else, here's a "Holiday special" of sorts from YouTube.  Admittedly it's mostly non-Christmas music, but a Christmas light show?  Come on. That's Christmas.  And this is DAMN impressive.

• Love 1

First encountered Ali Stroker on The Glee Project, where people competed for a major part on Glee. Not sure if it's available anywhere. Never watched the actual show but I'm a sucker for singing competitions. I will give Ryan Murphy credit for recognizing the talent they got, because he ended up casting something like a dozen kids and not just the winners of the two seasons. Ali's in at least one episode. She also happens to be queer.

Tried Christmas Ever After again.  Gave it a full half hour this time and still couldn't sit through it.

Warning to mothers and young children:  if your Christmas celebration is ridiculously over the top, featuring multiple events that all have to happen and always in the same order, the mother will die while the children are still young and the children will either obsessively have to re-create the exact same Christmas every year forever, or will swear off Christmas altogether.

• LOL 6

COZI TV is running Christmas movies this evening, starting with “12 Days of Christmas Eve” (2004 — cast includes Stephen Weber and Teryl Rothery), followed by “Nothing Like the Holidays” (2008, comedy — cast includes Debra Messing, Alfred Molina, and Luis Guzmán, but just 2 star-rating).

Half-watching “12 Days of Christmas Eve,” which is sort of a cross between "Ground Hog Day" and "A Christmas Carol," with Stephen Webber's character just now invoking Sisyphus.

Edited by shapeshifter

A bit outside the norm but I watched Back in Time for Christmas on CBC this week.  A family moves into a house from each era from 1940 to 1990 and celebrates Christmas as it was in that era including food, gifts, and decorations. It's was originally a BBC production from 2015 and it was both interesting and hilarious.  If you can find it, I recommend it. In northern MIchigan we get a Canadian station so that's where I found it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

A bit outside the norm but I watched Back in Time for Christmas on CBC this week.  A family moves into a house from each era from 1940 to 1990 and celebrates Christmas as it was in that era including food, gifts, and decorations. It's was originally a BBC production from 2015 and it was both interesting and hilarious.  If you can find it, I recommend it. In northern MIchigan we get a Canadian station so that's where I found it.

Thank you for mentioning this, @Kohola3. I live in the Detroit area and watch this show (the Canadian version) on the Windsor, ON station. It's one of my favorites. I didn't realize they were showing the Christmas episode, so I searched and it's on again Monday afternoon at 4 pm ET. If anyone else can get CBC, it's a fun show to watch. 

• Love 1

I just watched Let's Meet Again at Christmas on Lifetime. It was good! It started out weak and the lead actress's baby voice bothered me throughout. It got better as it went along. The billionaire couple getting married in two weeks with no preparation was silly, but they were likeable, along with their daughter, and Uncle Bernie tied the story up nicely. I loved the male lead, Brooks Darnell, he is handsome and charismatic and I thought he made up for the weaknesses of the lead actress (don't know her name). Overall this one was a success for me.

• Love 1

I just happened upon the second hour of Noel (2004) which I probably wouldn't have watched if I'd read: 

The main character is Rose (Susan Sarandon), a woman who is struggling to cope with caring for her mother, an Alzheimer's patient. Meanwhile, Nina (Penélope Cruz) and Mike (Paul Walker) are a young couple on the verge of breaking up due to Mike's increasingly jealous behavior. Elsewhere, Artie (Alan Arkin) is an old waiter who searches for his deceased wife every Christmas Eve. Finally, Jules (Marcus Thomas) is a young man who deliberately damages his hand so he can attend a Christmas party in the emergency room, as that was the only happy memory of his childhood. In addition to the five main characters, the mysterious Charlie (Robin Williams) is introduced as the person who may be able to help Rose finally realize that she must look after herself more, rather than worrying about everyone else.

As if the plot wasn't tragic and weird enough, it was filmed 10 years before Robin Williams committed suicide because he had Alzheimer's, which made it presciently sadder than sad. 

So. The moral of my Christmas TV movie watching experience is: Pick your poison wisely!
Light and fluffy only, please.

15 hours ago, kirinan said:

Thank you for mentioning this, @Kohola3. I live in the Detroit area and watch this show (the Canadian version) on the Windsor, ON station. It's one of my favorites. I didn't realize they were showing the Christmas episode, so I searched and it's on again Monday afternoon at 4 pm ET. If anyone else can get CBC, it's a fun show to watch. 

They appear to be on You Tube.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

As if the plot wasn't tragic and weird enough, it was filmed 10 years before Robin Williams committed suicide because he had Alzheimer's, which made it presciently sadder than sad.

Just a little nitpick, he didn't have Alzheimer's.  He had Lewy body dementia.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I’m disappointed that I didn’t catch Christmas Perfection this year. I don’t know if Lifetime didn’t show it or if I missed it when it was in their rotation , but it’s one of my favorites. The scenery is just lovely. 

It's on PlutoTV.

Sugar and Spice Holiday was tropey, but fun and likeable, and a proof that execution counts for a lot in those movies.

Christmas on the Menu was a real bore, despite Cynthia Gibb & Kim Shaw, that I both like.

Midnight at the Magnolia had a likeable lead couple, but went somehow too broad for my taste, both in execution and in the acting. Also, it kinda went slowly off the rails by adding a couple too many unnecessary twists and turns and unlikely events to the plot.

• Love 2

This isn't necessarily a recommendation, just drawing attention to something, but if you're an Anglophile and desperately need a change of pace in holiday viewing, there's a movie on Amazon Prime called Christmas Survival that you might find interesting.

There's really not much of a plot. It's more of a slice of life thing. There's a family that's moved from London to the crumbling manor house in a remote village that the wife inherited. They're in the middle of renovating it when her whole family descends on them for Christmas, including her sister who's now a TV star in America with her obnoxious husband, bratty kids, and Chinese exchange student in tow. Plus there's the husband's ex-wife and troubled teenage son, and there's a dotty aunt and the Polish laborers who are camping on their land while doing the renovation work. We see them go through a Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day where just about everything goes wrong, sometimes in highly amusing ways. That's pretty much it. There's no real storyline. But the cast is pretty impressive, with people you've seen in things like Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey, and Miranda, and there's even a member of the Redgrave clan.

I'm still not sure if I liked it, but I like so many of the people in it, and it's a bit of an antidote to Hallmarky perfection. Or it might be a nice way to make yourself feel grateful to have to have a quiet holiday without the extended family this year.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I watched a few of the movies this weekend. 

Too Close for Christmas was not bad (except for the ridiculous reason that she was mad at the guy), but echoing what's been said before, what the hell has Jessica Lowndes done to her face? I think last year her lips were gigantic. This year, her lips are more normal-ish, but her whole face looks like plastic. I actually looked her up and saw that she is 32. 32! She looks at least ten years older, like a 45 year old trying to look 35. And why did Chad Michael Murray have a pronounced Southern or Western cowboy accent? No one else in his family did. Plus the mother was a weird control freak who had the whole family cowed. Other than that, it was okay 🤣 At this point, my judging system is whether the movie is so bad that I turn it off.

I liked A Christmas Exchange, I thought both leads were appealing and the storyline that they were strangers getting to know each other through texting and calling while living in each other's houses was fun and different. Laura Vandervoort is 35 and doesn't look like she's doing any Botox or fillers, so she looked natural and so much younger than Lowdnes.

I started Christmas Ever After and it was just okay, but I grew tired of it and turned it off. As others have said, the female lead was pretty over the top. Maybe since she's a Broadway star she's accustomed to having to make it BIG! to reach the audience in the back of the theater.

Time for You to Come Home for Christmas was meh. I watched it all the way through. Why did the male lead keep it a secret that he was looking for the owner of the watch? Only so they could have the drama at the end. Plus, I have to say, if a single mom meets a grown man who shows an inordinate amount of attention to her child/ren, that is a warning sign of a possible pedophile. I know that's not something Hallmark would ever say, but it's presented as being so wonderful! Too often, it's not.

Finally, The Christmas Setup! One of my most-liked so far. I could have done without all of the screaming from Fran Drescher, but when she wasn't screaming she was pretty good. I loved the leads and they had such great chemistry, which makes sense since they're married in real life. And I thought it was smart that they didn't save the train station, thus leaving it open for a sequel. Which I would look forward to watching.

There were others that I tried but had to change the channel on. One of them only because there was the requisite snowball fight.

• Love 2

I didn’t know where else to put this, but since it’s a Christmas movie I thought it would be fine for this thread. 

Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Story (Netflix)- This was sort of a modern day take on Santa Claus but was based in a late 19th/early 20th century fantasy world and different from all past toymaker stories the genius toymaker/innovator was black. I really loved the look of this movie. It did an excellent job capturing that classic look of late 19th/early 20th century town at Christmas. I was surprised that this turned out to be somewhat of a musical, which I usually hate, but I didn’t mind it at all here. The music was overall good, as was the singing. The acting was great and the story was very well written. 

I enjoyed this one immensely  I hope that it will become a classic for future holiday viewing audiences. 

• Love 5