Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

Aunt Paulina's proposed shop would be the only black-owned business in Horton Square? Really? The Mayor has the ability to override someone leasing a space to anyone?  How many shops does Horton Square have?  Is leasing that expensive? If Basic Black has good clothes, wouldn't their flagship be in New York or LA? Are the rich folks of Salem supposed to wear the brand? I get the political correctness, but it felt a bit awkward.

Geez, Eli, you have been a dad for a week and you have already developed dad-bod?

Abs is begging to snap a bit. At least Gabi spared the poor DiMera folk for having to wonder what the incredible smell in the basement is when it would start to waft upstairs. Gwen wasn't kept that long and her sob story to Eli was a bit much. Gwen did drug Abs, moved to destroy her parents' marriage, moved to destroy Abs' marriage and she expects Abs to be arrested?

Poor Anna didn't have much time to think of a convincing story.

A smart woman like Kate wouldn't really waste her time on someone like Jake. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Aunt Paulina's proposed shop would be the only black-owned business in Horton Square? Really? The Mayor has the ability to override someone leasing a space to anyone?  How many shops does Horton Square have?  Is leasing that expensive? If Basic Black has good clothes, wouldn't their flagship be in New York or LA? Are the rich folks of Salem supposed to wear the brand? 

Abe made a point he was only going to introduce her to the owner and let her make her sales pitch. And I think she noted that she did her research and Kate's deal wasn't as set in stone as thought. It was either said or implied that the owner was easily swayed by money/the best offer, which I guess considering the store's been sitting empty for over a year and no one seemed to want the spot before but suddenly it's a hot commodity, he's going to give it to the highest bidder and make up some lost revenue. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Peanut6711 said:

Abe made a point he was only going to introduce her to the owner and let her make her sales pitch. And I think she noted that she did her research and Kate's deal wasn't as set in stone as thought. It was either said or implied that the owner was easily swayed by money/the best offer, which I guess considering the store's been sitting empty for over a year and no one seemed to want the spot before but suddenly it's a hot commodity, he's going to give it to the highest bidder and make up some lost revenue. 

The highest bidder also has to pay for the higher rent plus staffing and other costs. Which may also mean that other businesses in the square may also increase their rent. In terms of reality today, many businesses are failing because of Covid. People aren't in any position to outbid others for a space unless they have tons of cash.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

The highest bidder also has to pay for the higher rent plus staffing and other costs. Which may also mean that other businesses in the square may also increase their rent. In terms of reality today, many businesses are failing because of Covid. People aren't in any position to outbid others for a space unless they have tons of cash.

Salem presumably has a bubble around it to keep out Covid like how Town Square keeps out the weather.  Beyond that, none of their business/economy makes sense. Like you'd think if the Gabby Chic location was so prime, the leaser would have been able to get another business in there a long time ago.  Aunt P is supposed to be loaded so I don' think money is an issue for her. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, Peanut6711 said:

Salem presumably has a bubble around it to keep out Covid like how Town Square keeps out the weather.  Beyond that, none of their business/economy makes sense. Like you'd think if the Gabby Chic location was so prime, the leaser would have been able to get another business in there a long time ago.  Aunt P is supposed to be loaded so I don' think money is an issue for her. 

Unless Aunt P is dripping in cash, her store not making enough sales to cover the rent, utilities, and staff will eventually bleed money and she will need to end the lease.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Frozendiva said:

Poor Anna didn't have much time to think of a convincing story.

Except the whole conversation with Chad was incredibly stupid!  Have the writers forgotten, or do they just not care that it wasn't that long ago that they made a point of saying ABBY CAN NOT DRINK!  Chad saying he was going to go get them a special bottle of wine was just stupid and extremely lazy writing.  I can understand if they "forget" things that happened several years ago, but when it was part of the current plot?  No.

• LOL 3
  • Love 12

Eli basically dismissing Gwen's claims that Abigail abducted her and may have attempted to murder her, which were all true, feeds into that narrative that some people can get away with crimes while others can't, and hopefully that will only infuriate Gwen all the more.  That was probably the most interesting moment of the episode, for me, although Chad and Abigail's argument was a fun play on how quickly the tide can turn in a relationship, and somehow Chad finds himself with something to now hold over Abigail's head.

IIRC, it seems like there was some initial chemistry between Gabi and Jake but Gabi's belief that they're destined to be together feels forced at this point.  That said, I did empathize with Gabi when she went to confide in Jake and he really didn't give a damn...in the way I can empathize with someone who is their own worst enemy.  

• Love 8
2 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Eli basically dismissing Gwen's claims that Abigail abducted her and may have attempted to murder her, which were all true, feeds into that narrative that some people can get away with crimes while others can't, and hopefully that will only infuriate Gwen all the more.  

Except Gwen also got away with her crimes.  Who hasn't more or less gotten away with their crimes on this show?  Kristen, in a way, is paying for one of her crimes but somehow is managing to commit 100 more while in jail.

• Love 11
16 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:
On 3/8/2021 at 9:56 PM, enchantingmonkey said:

Hopefully, the handful of comments dropped about Charlie no longer having to be dealt with were meant to be foreshadowing of his Return-From-The-Dead.  His murder mystery is so boring.  

I hope so too! Charlie being alive is about the only twist to salvage this plot it seems.  I had assumed all the 'no longer have to deal w/Charlie' comments were just Ron's poor subtly at honing in on the characters as suspects, but I hope you're onto something that it's really the clue that Charlie isn't dead.  

I think Charlie will come back too, especially since Ava's been staring at that baby picture of her holding him...wondering if he would have been a better person if she gave him the love he needed at the time.

Edited by MsTree
  • Love 4

I am turned off by Paulina. The actress is so busy giving energy that she isn't delivering the lines clearly. And boy was it awkward watching her play the race card...does Ron think this is what people of color do? Just walk up to things they want and say "I should have it because diversity!" ??  Such crappy writing.

It's not much of a flagship store to fight over either...

I did like Chad calling Failure out on being nuts though. Her plan made no sense and it was nice seeing Gabi wisely back out. I don't really get why they even wrote this little scheme in, TBH. It's over before it begun. And why does MM always pull out one finger to wave around when she's trying to show how angry her character is? Ĺooks dumb.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Eli basically dismissing Gwen's claims that Abigail abducted her and may have attempted to murder her, which were all true, feeds into that narrative that some people can get away with crimes while others can't, and hopefully that will only infuriate Gwen all the more.  That was probably the most interesting moment of the episode, for me, although Chad and Abigail's argument was a fun play on how quickly the tide can turn in a relationship, and somehow Chad finds himself with something to now hold over Abigail's head.

IIRC, it seems like there was some initial chemistry between Gabi and Jake but Gabi's belief that they're destined to be together feels forced at this point.  That said, I did empathize with Gabi when she went to confide in Jake and he really didn't give a damn...in the way I can empathize with someone who is their own worst enemy.  

Chad and Abigail need to have more fights like that.lol. It really brings Billy to life.

I hate to say this, but I see more chemistry between Jake and Abby than I see between him and Gabi. He seemed to be curious how Abigail was planning on breaking up him and Kate. I hope that didn't mean anything.

• Love 4

I loved Gwen going to the police station with the ropes still on and making herself look more disheveled before she talked to Eli. I pray they never get rid of her or redeem her because she is literally perfect to me.

I liked the Abigail and Chad argument but fucking hell I wish BF could portray anger without just screaming everything. It makes my head hurt. Also, they really need to break Chad and Abigail up already. They have such a horrible marriage lol.

I love Paulina and I hope she gets the storefront, especially over Kate because I am very over Kate. This thing with her and Jake is so bad.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Eli basically dismissing Gwen's claims that Abigail abducted her and may have attempted to murder her, which were all true, feeds into that narrative that some people can get away with crimes while others can't, and hopefully that will only infuriate Gwen all the more.

Agree, Eli basically proved the point Gwen has been hammering for weeks about "poor, precious Abigail." *summoning up my best Gwen voice* The whole scene just reminded me how worthless and a farce the Salem PD generally is.  Too bad Ron can't hire Leslie Nielsen to play their new detective or police chief and just seal the deal. Or I suppose using the budget he has, he might as well have just ended the scene by having Lanni walk by and add, "And Abigail's a mother!" 

6 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I loved Gwen going to the police station with the ropes still on and making herself look more disheveled before she talked to Eli. I pray they never get rid of her or redeem her because she is literally perfect to me.

I liked the Abigail and Chad argument but fucking hell I wish BF could portray anger without just screaming everything. It makes my head hurt. Also, they really need to break Chad and Abigail up already. They have such a horrible marriage lol.

I love Paulina and I hope she gets the storefront, especially over Kate because I am very over Kate. This thing with her and Jake is so bad.

💯 I'm right there w/ya!

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
56 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I pray they never get rid of her or redeem her because she is literally perfect to me.

Huh.

She doesn't feel "Days" enough to me. Neither do Ben or Lani. There have been weird casting choices these last few years.

The guy who plays Evan, on the other hand...

Sigh. This is such a weird show.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 4
56 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

This thing with her and Jake is so bad.

Why? Its the first time in years she's bedding a guy who is attractive, non-violent, single and seemingly decent. After Deimos, Papa Hernandez, Freaking Clyde!! and recently, pathetic Jack....this is a huuuuge improvement.

What sucks is Jake telling Gabi directly "don't waste your time, it's not happening between us, stop embarrassing yourself, I'm serious" and the show still pushing him and Gabi.

That conversation should really be the end of that whole storyline. I really felt baldly for Gabi there because he was 100% clear about his feelings and right. She's humiliating herself over a hookup. There are other fish.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

I actually thought that moment between Eli and Gwen felt fake and forced. Eli and Abby have no relationship, and it felt off hearing him call her his cousin. The two barely interact, and the show often forgets he's a Horton. How can Eli say what type of person Abby is when he doesn't know her. Granted maybe Julie talks to him about Abby and she and Abby have a great relationship, but I'm not certain what allegiance Eli would have to her.

There was something I liked about the Gabi/Jake scene; he noted that she has no friends in Salem. He asked if she was just desperate for a connection. If this were a better written show, I think there a narrative string the show could follow, but I'm sure it was just meant to insult Gabi. I did like how Gabi was written this episode. She felt more like a person and not the caricature she's been for several years now.

7 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I am turned off by Paulina. The actress is so busy giving energy that she isn't delivering the lines clearly. And boy was it awkward watching her play the race card...does Ron think this is what people of color do? Just walk up to things they want and say "I should have it because diversity!" ??  Such crappy writing.

It's not much of a flagship store to fight over ether...

I felt two ways about the Paulina conversation. On one hand, I actually thought she made great points. I didn't think she was saying she should have it for "diversity," but the optics of a town square that is presumably for everyone only having white owned businesses and how that can be seen as valuing or favoring one type of customer over others. I thought it especially made sense in the current conversations and times where people are asking for more diversity in every facet of life. 

That being said, the actual dialogue felt a little too on the nose. I question how many people use terms like "BIPOC" outside of social media or academic or professional settings. That being said, since they were in an unofficial business meeting with Paulina arguing her case to be in consideration for the storefront, I'm ultimately okay with it.

52 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Watching the Abby/Chad scenes, I just felt that the Abby/Chad moment has passed. I used to love them, and all I could think is that their best storylines are behind them. They peaked in 2015/2016 for me, and it's been all downhill ever since regardless of whom plays Abby. 

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Huh.

She doesn't feel "Days" enough to me. Neither do Ben or Lani. There have been weird casting choices these last few years.

The guy who plays Evan, on the other hand...

Sigh. This is such a weird show.

I get what you're saying. I don't feel that way about Gwen or Ben, but I do feel that way about Sarah. I'm not sure how I feel about Lani regarding if she "feels" like a Days character or not. That being said I agree that this feels like a weird show. I'm not sure what you mean by that, but for me, the weirdness comes that this doesn't feel like a cast that can be naturally integrated. Even characters that could have a natural connection, i.e.Eli, Sarah, Shawn, Abby being Hortons, they don't feel like people who would naturally interact. They don't feel like people who would have much in common and all are in such different spaces in their lives right now. Granted, it isn't impossible, but the show definitely lacks a community feel, and I'm not sure how the show could remedy this issue with this cast.

Edited by 4evaQuez
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

I actually thought that moment between Eli and Gwen felt fake and forced. Eli and Abby have no relationship, and it felt off hearing him call her his cousin. The two barely interact, and the show often forgets he's a Horton. How can Eli say what type of person Abby is when he doesn't know her. Granted maybe Julie talks to him about Abby and she and Abby have a great relationship, but I'm not certain what allegiance Eli would have to her.

There was something I liked about the Gabi/Jake scene; he noted that she has no friends in Salem. He asked if she was just desperate for a connection. If this were a better written show, I think there a narrative string the show could follow, but I'm sure it was just meant to insult Gabi. I did like how Gabi was written this episode. She felt more like a person and not the caricature she's been for several years now.

I felt two ways about the Paulina conversation. On one hand, I actually thought she made great points. I didn't think she was saying she should have it for "diversity," but the optics of a town square that is presumably for everyone only having white owned businesses and how that can be seen as valuing or favoring one type of customer over others. I thought it especially made sense in the current conversations and times where people are asking for more diversity in every facet of life. 

That being said, the actual dialogue felt a little too on the nose. I question how many people use terms like "BIPOC" outside of social media or academic or professional settings. That being said, since they were in an unofficial business meeting with Paulina arguing her case to be in consideration for the storefront, I'm ultimately okay with it.

Watching the Abby/Chad scenes, I just felt that the Abby/Chad moment has passed. I used to love them, and all I could think is that their best storylines are behind them. They peaked in 2015/2016 for me, and it's been all downhill ever since regardless of whom plays Abby. 

During the time Eli and Gabi were together Chad and Abigail were also staying at the mansion.They showed them interacting with each other. Abigail even had a convo with Eli questioning his feelings with Gabi.

Edited by Sidney
  • Love 2

I don't know if I should give credit to Ron & the writing staff or not because it might not have been a purposeful parallel, but Claire stumbling into Evan's attempt to nab Ben at his apartment reminded me of the time Evan's dad kidnapped Kayla when she showed up at Steve's apartment instead of him. 

Aunt P inadvertently bulldozing Julie's godparent job was hilarious. Karma can be a real bitch, Julie. But in all practicality, it would make more sense to have Paulina should something happen to Lanni and Eli and the godparents were actually needed to help raise the kids. She is well off and much younger than 75+ Julie who will be close to 95 by the time the twins turn 18.

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, Sidney said:

During the time Eli and Gabi were together Chad and Abigail were also staying at the mansion.They showed them interacting with each other. Abigail even had a convo with Eli questioning his feelings with Gabi.

Thank you! That was one of the times I wasn't watching as much, so I missed those interactions.

Edited by 4evaQuez
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, Peanut6711 said:

Aunt P inadvertently bulldozing Julie's godparent job was hilarious. Karma can be a real bitch, Julie. But in all practicality, it would make more sense to have Paulina should something happen to Lanni and Eli and the godparents were actually needed to help raise the kids. She is well off and much younger than 75+ Julie who will be close to 95 by the time the twins turn 18.

if only Eli and Lani had close friends (and I don’t mean Kristen) who they could ask to be godparents. Theo is actually a good choice but grandparents and great grandparents? They are most likely won’t be around to see them reach adulthood (Julie and maybe Abe) unless of course they get sorased.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

I get what you're saying. I don't feel that way about Gwen or Ben, but I do feel that way about Sarah. I'm not sure how I feel about Lani regarding if she "feels" like a Days character or not. That being said I agree that this feels like a weird show. I'm not sure what you mean by that, but for me, the weirdness comes that this doesn't feel like a cast that can be naturally integrated. Even characters that could have a natural connection, i.e.Eli, Sarah, Shawn, Abby being Hortons, they don't feel like people who would naturally interact. They don't feel like people who would have much in common and all are in such different spaces in their lives right now. Granted, it isn't impossible, but the show definitely lacks a community feel, and I'm not sure how the show could remedy this issue with this cast.

Days to me was always a pretty cheesy show with beautiful actors/models who could act a bit and occasionally fun storytelling (kudos to Rielly). I never felt like any of them were real people - the way I felt the citizens of Bay City were real, by comparison - but there was something appealing about the gloss of Days. The syrupy romance and OTT loyalty towards friends. The relentless inner monologues. The teasing storylines. The satisfyingly payoffs.

Now I know the show had to change, evolve over time, but there's a huge imbalance. The gloss is largely gone (budgets), the narratives are repetitive and weak to absurd or insulting (Ron/Corday), and the cast are seemingly trying their best with what they have and succeeding (Victor) or going through the motions (Marlena, Rafe)...or completely in their own world (Lani, Ben, etc).

I guess I expect the casting to gel with the overall vibe of the show. I mean, all there is now is the plesaure of seeing certain actors still on camera...so adding new ones who aren't in step with the acting styles of the vets can be jarring, you know? Not that it's purely the vets who set the tone of course...

Example: Xander. He hasn't had the best writing, but has charm and looks and humor and risen above the little he was originally given to work with. He's like Peter Blake was back in the day. Fantastic actor? Maybe not, he has limits, but he fits in well. Gabi too. The actor playing Evan as well. "Prettiness" definitely plays into it, but it's more than that.

Then there's Gwen, who can act....but to me seems more like the kind of performer who would play a snotty hospital nurse or secretary for a few appearances and that's it. Ben and Lani are so cringe-inducing, and though they've improved, I wouldn't think they'd have lasted six weeks on a soap back in the day. Certainly not Another World.

We have actors just...doing their own things right now. The new loosely goosey Sarah and brassy Paulina are taking two wildly different approaches.

I guess, even knowing the vibe would evolve, I didn't think this show would feel quite so much like a mixed bag of acting styles and skill levels. And looks. Because yup - the 90s Days cast was largely a cast of freaking bathing suit models. They looked sexy, and that was absolutely part of what made Days Days then.

I would gladly watch some of these actors on other shows....but on Days? Gwen, Deimos, current Abigail, Paulina...I feel like they're misplaced. Not purely based on looks, but misplaced.

Obviously, YMMV.

• Love 3

Lani (re Paulina): What are we going to do now?

Oh, I don't know. Be a f*cking adult and talk to her? Who cares if she tries to steamroll you. You're used to Julie.

Also, can we mention how Lani and Eli want Theo to be a godfather so he can stick around Salem more often? Yes, please insist he gives up his life to attend a birthday party once and a while. The entitlement of these two.

The less said about Frantic!Ben, the better.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

I just had a sudden flash about how it would be mind blowing if Gabi and Roman hooked up. I know Sami and Kate would explode.

"The twins that came out of the sky."

As much as Paulina makes me uncomfortable, she's going to be a good antagonistic for Julie.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I just had a sudden flash about how it would be mind blowing if Gabi and Roman hooked up. I know Sami and Kate would explode.

"The twins that came out of the sky."

As much as Paulina makes me uncomfortable, she's going to be a good antagonistic for Julie.

That line legit made me LOL.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

My sister suggested they fake date in order to try to get Kate and Jake apart. I won't lie, I would be down lol.

I literally don't even remember what happened in this ep outside of the Gabi/Roman scenes. Oh, and thinking that I really wish they'd keep Evan around. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

My sister suggested they fake date in order to try to get Kate and Jake apart. I won't lie, I would be down lol.

I literally don't even remember what happened in this ep outside of the Gabi/Roman scenes. Oh, and thinking that I really wish they'd keep Evan around. 

Wasn't fake dating Stefan how Stabby started? 

I think Gabi faked being interested in Stefan but Stefan wasn't aware.  It was part of her plan to get back at him.  Date him.  Marry him and then take everything from him.

Roman and Gabi would at least be equals in the deception.

I really liked Jake when he first came on.  And I still like him well enough, but I'm starting to want him to be Stefan if only because I think it'd justify Gabi's reluctance to let go. 

I did like their friend discussion yesterday, though.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Why? Its the first time in years she's bedding a guy who is attractive, non-violent, single and seemingly decent. After Deimos, Papa Hernandez, Freaking Clyde!! and recently, pathetic Jack....this is a huuuuge improvement.

What sucks is Jake telling Gabi directly "don't waste your time, it's not happening between us, stop embarrassing yourself, I'm serious" and the show still pushing him and Gabi.

That conversation should really be the end of that whole storyline. I really felt baldly for Gabi there because he was 100% clear about his feelings and right. She's humiliating herself over a hookup. There are other fish.

She never slept with Eduardo(shocking I know) you also forgot she slept with Dead Ted. I would find it hilarious if Gabi/Roman got together either legit or pretend. However this show doesn't care enough about Roman to go through all that trouble.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, RunningMarket said:

Wasn't fake dating Stefan how Stabby started? 

Well Gabi was fake being interested in sex w him and using her vaj to get the him to fall for her and get the company and that stupid mansion. Then she did fall for him. It’s was all idiots Brady’s archaic and sexist idea. Literally telling her to bang and beej her way to the top

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Well Gabi was fake being interested in sex w him and using her vaj to get the him to fall for her and get the company and that stupid mansion. Then she did fall for him. It’s was all idiots Brady’s archaic and sexist idea. Literally telling her to bang and beej her way to the top

This is why no one should listen to Brady who is clearly the dumbest person in town full of dummies.

• LOL 11
  • Love 2

If Lani knows 83 people, why aren't any of them being considered to be godparents? Abe and Julie are over the age of 70. Valerie is probably in her late 50s. Theo is a young guy. Chances are pretty good that the blankets won't need any godparents and that they will never have to take care of the kids. Theo, who is very happy in South Africa, is now expected to stick around? He has his own life. Surely, both Eli and Lani can tell Aunt P to back off.  She just showed up in town to visit. No idea why they couldn't ask someone like Rafe.

Why would it take several hours to triangulate the cellphone? Not like Salem is like Chicago or NYC.

I really can't see Roman and Gabi dating, but it would be interesting. Gabi, just be a little patient, bide your time, work on GabiChic and eventually Jake and Kate will implode.

Claire, you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

I really can't see Roman and Gabi dating, but it would be interesting

What was really interesting (to me) was that during the entire conversation between them, closed caption dialogue description read "John" (not Roman). Makes me wonder if Drake was supposed to share the screen with Camila, but for some reason couldn't make it.

• Love 1

I don’t like Paulina. She’s loud and Obnoxious & we already have Julie for that. Speaking of Julie, we’re just going to continue with the racial/racist talk with Paulina also? Now we have two women doing this? Imagine if Julie said “why did they name their babies after some old black lady”? I  did not like Paulina pressuring Abe to get the owners to not rent the store front to Kate because she is white. This has to do with business not racial equality.  She could have gone about this fairly by  bidding on the store herself. She has the financial ability apparently. That was a shitty thing for her to do to Abe.  This is not healing to the turmoil that this country is in right now. It just doesn’t sit right with me. It’s not funny. Hope this character mellows out a little or leaves.
My God this show is almost unrecognizable. I’m starting to not even care if it’s renewed. 😞

• Love 8
3 hours ago, chediavolo said:

I don’t like Paulina. She’s loud and Obnoxious & we already have Julie for that. Speaking of Julie, we’re just going to continue with the racial/racist talk with Paulina also? Now we have two women doing this? Imagine if Julie said “why did they name their babies after some old black lady”? I  did not like Paulina pressuring Abe to get the owners to not rent the store front to Kate because she is white. This has to do with business not racial equality.  She could have gone about this fairly by  bidding on the store herself. She has the financial ability apparently. That was a shitty thing for her to do to Abe.  This is not healing to the turmoil that this country is in right now. It just doesn’t sit right with me. It’s not funny. Hope this character mellows out a little or leaves.
My God this show is almost unrecognizable. I’m starting to not even care if it’s renewed. 😞

Thank you for voicing exactly how I feel about Paulina. Racism goes both ways and I was appalled at that line to Julie, and I don't like Julie much. Jackee has not changed her acting style since the eighties and it is just too OTT for Days. I want to mute her whenever she comes on screen. And not cause she is a loud and proud black woman, I do the same for Susan lol

• Love 3

It was nice to see so many black people on Days. I was kind of shocked, as a lot of shows seem to have an unofficial rule that no more than 3 black people can congregate at any given time. 

As for Paulina, I find her hilarious. I understand other people's concerns, but she doesn't bother me. 

Ben/Shawn. They are so nice to look at, but they should never be given words to say.

I'm not certain why Claire thought it was a good idea to enter Ben's apartment solo with a stranger in his place. I'm also not certain why she would announce knowing his identity as he was leaving. I guess their transitioning Claire's archetype from pyromaniac to damsel in distress since this is her second bout with danger in weeks.

Roman/Gabi. I kept thinking about Roman/Nicole having sex and that the show seems to forget that happened. Gabi needs a friend. This is neither here nor there, but I could never imagine Wayne's Roman respecting the woman who put his daughter on death row.

These shows are becoming more difficult to watch, but here I am.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, 4evaQuez said:

It was nice to see so many black people on Days. I was kind of shocked, as a lot of shows seem to have an unofficial rule that no more than 3 black people can congregate at any given time. 

Yea, I thought it was, sadly, really unique to see that.

2 minutes ago, 4evaQuez said:

Ben/Shawn. They are so nice to look at, but they should never be given words to say.

Mila Kunis Lol GIF by IFC

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, chediavolo said:

I don't have to imagine it. Black people deal with micro (and macro) racial aggressions every single day, and the idea that people would be appalled at every single one is just not the reality we live in. The show also did show one of those microaggressions with the Julie wanting to touch Valerie's hair, and they showed everyone being quite kind to her and giving her the benefit of the doubt to her microaggression.

The show also showed how people are already being less favorable to Aunt Paulina when she overstepped and stole Julie's godmother title. The show also showed that Paulina is trying to use her familial relationship to Abe in order to get him to help her buy the storefront. Paulina isn't as one-note as some comments - I'm not directing this at you - are trying to make her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
8 hours ago, MsTree said:

What was really interesting (to me) was that during the entire conversation between them, closed caption dialogue description read "John" (not Roman). Makes me wonder if Drake was supposed to share the screen with Camila, but for some reason couldn't make it.

That's funny. I don't know who writes the closed captioning but apparently even they are still confused on the John/Roman mess. As someone who's had to explain it to other casual viewers I know, I can understand the mix up.  Although, if I was writing the captioning, I'd be more likely to make the mistake of writing Chris Kostichek. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, 4evaQuez said:

I kept thinking about Roman/Nicole having sex and that the show seems to forget that happened.

Actually, you just reminded me of how at her wedding to Eric at the pub, they veeery subtly acknowledged it by having Roman *not* hug Nicole or engage with her physically. I seem to recall John doing so, Roman watching and then keeping his distance when it was his turn to logically also hug her and kiss her cheek, as John had done. There was this slight awkwardness....a "yeah, so...good luck, never should have banged you".

At least that's what I recall.

I did totally forget about Kate and Ted....but I definitely remember her bedding Eduardo in the Salem Inn, and in record time. Or was that someone else?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, 4evaQuez said:

I don't have to imagine it. Black people deal with micro (and macro) racial aggressions every single day, and the idea that people would be appalled at every single one is just not the reality we live in. The show also did show one of those microaggressions with the Julie wanting to touch Valerie's hair, and they showed everyone being quite kind to her and giving her the benefit of the doubt to her microaggression.

The show also showed how people are already being less favorable to Aunt Paulina when she overstepped and stole Julie's godmother title. The show also showed that Paulina is trying to use her familial relationship to Abe in order to get him to help her buy the storefront. Paulina isn't as one-note as some comments - I'm not directing this at you - are trying to make her.

Exactly!  I loved it when Paulina told Julie to not touch a Black woman's hair, every Black woman has a story about White people always trying to touch our hair, you can look but you can't touch, I don't know you like that.  I understand our hair is different but keep your hands to yourself.  Is Paulina over the top, yes she is, so what?  The show is full of campy outrageous characters, it is what it is.. So I don't get all this anger being leveled at her.

• Love 12

I like Paulina too.  She makes me laugh and she makes good points. 

When it comes down to the storefront, if it all comes down to capitalism and the "best bid," it continues centuries of systematic oppression meant to make certain kinds of wealth (overall) easier to achieve for certain groups of people (usually white) over other groups of people (usually black).  Past restrictions on who could buy homes in the most "desirable" locations or are who were allowed to get loans to open up businesses that have grown over the decades still influence very much what businesses can afford the prime location even if those rules are technically obsolete.  The impact remains and will remain unless the same effort is put into giving those businesses a boost that was put into keeping them in their place. 

It's the edgiest thing DOOL has done in a while and I'm a little surprised. 

The only thing I didn't love is that they cut away when people were going to explain to Julie why not to touch a black woman's hair.  If you're going to have a teachable moment, don't cut away from it.  Either just say "no, don't do that" and cut away or explain the why.  Don't commercial break over  the conversation.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

I kept thinking about Roman/Nicole having sex and that the show seems to forget that happened.

eeeeewwww, I must have been on a DOOL break when this happened.  So who knows about this?  And was it a one-time thing?

• Love 2

Bonnie is Sarah's maid-of-honor?  Oh that's strange. I wonder if Maggie will even make an appearance at the wedding.

I don't know why Jack was surprised Xander asked him to be his best man.  Yeah, they're virtual strangers but Xander has already leaned on Jack for support throughout his relationship with Sarah.

Did anyone else think they looked like they were about to kiss after the hug?  It took me back to the days when Jennifer was engaged to Frankie when Jack came back from the dead (but still was presumed to be dying) and they all lived in the same house.  Jack and Frankie were so great together and had more chemistry than Jennifer and Frankie. 

• Love 3

Did Evan call Shawn ‘Dummy do right?”  *High-five, Evan!* That’s perfect for the Salem PD.

Claire to 911: “My daddy’s been hurt.”🙄  “Officer down” might get help there faster.

“Danger, Will Robin! danger, Will Robin…Opps, Danger Ben Weston, Danger Ben Weston!” I just can't with this CIN psychic connection shit.  And what did Ciara think that pipe was for ??? Pretty sure all the months she's been locked in there, she would have heard water running through it if that was the case, though then she'd have potentially risked drowning.  I suppose sewer would have been less deadly but more nasty.  By the end, I was expecting her to yell, “I hit the gas pipe, Ben, run!”

bd30824139efba49f4964eb7605bd816.gif

• LOL 3
  • Love 6