Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Freakin' Whack-a-Mole

A man sentenced to death by Asher's father years ago is Annalise's new client. Meanwhile, Wes is still peeved at Annalise for not revealing everything about Lila's case; and in a flash-forward, Asher's whereabouts on the night of the murder are revealed.

It's a bit of a testament to Matt McGorry's acting on this show that I'm actually excited to dig into his background.  I actually hope it doesn't get too soapy, because him being a total bro is hilarious to me.

Edited by Princess Sparkle

What I do like about this show is how we're delving into all the Keating 5's backstories and learning more about them. As we get to know them I'm still not liking Laurel who's just so unemotional and boring, and a wet dishrag for a character, not much a fan of Wes still either. I have to agree with someone about Wes' head turning, I forgot what the person compared it to, but it was spot on. Most of the time he's just looking clueless.

Still loving Michaela and Connor and glad they still get paired together but Connor don't rub the fact you slept with her fiance in her face. That's just very low but it just makes their bantering all the more fun. They were both ganging up on Asher too.

I wasn't too fond of Asher in the first couple of episodes but he's grown on me. I really don't like the frat boy characters but the actor is playing him in a likable character more than an annoying character. He wants the trophy, I found that a little funny and that Anneliese would give in just like that but I guess getting the man off death row is more important than anything.

Bonnie's hair is just too severe, that coupled with the red lipstick they put on. Frank is just still too creepy.  Eww Bonnie and Asher sleeping together, that's just a nasty image. For all her evil glares at Frank and Laurel and goo goo eyes at Sam, she needs to take several seats. 

I still don't pay that much attention to cases of the week, still kind of filler for me as I get to know the characters and the main murder plot that's going on right now. Rebecca is still a very boring and bland character and still don't believe this Wes/Rebecca thing. Just a little too forced for me. Her saying she's back for now, pfft if she goes away again, stay gone.

• Love 2

So Bonnie's a total hypocrite-color me surprised.

Asher is growing on me.

Loved how vulnerable Annalise was saying she "needed" Sam, and her face when she saw the blood...my god. 

Is it just me or do they have the timeline all screwy?  I thought they said it was five weeks later, last week and now they say it's five weeks later at the beginning of this week...and we're just two new episodes from finding out who killed Sam.

Asher is growing on me. He actually got some character development tonight beyond just being a dudebro stereotype.

I actually wasn't surprised that Asher and Bonnie slept together. I called it the minute I saw Annalise pair him with her to go talk to that witness. Bonnie still intrigues me though because I still question her motives about damn near everything at this point. Why sleep with Asher? Did she feel sorry for him? Does she genuinely like him? Or is she sleeping with him for some other purpose? I guess we will have to wait until her episode.

Bonnie laying into Laurel didn't really bother me because I think she was half-right about Laurel. Laurel is cheating on her boyfriend with Frank for whatever reason and I think Frank will be the one to get hurt in this situation. However, I don't think Bonnie's assessment of the type of person Laurel is in general is entirely accurate. I just took it as her jumping to conclusions because she's protective of Frank. I think she often talks to him the way she does because she is close to him and they just have that type of rapport.  She was totally lying to Sam though about why she did what she did. I'm still confused about that particular relationship.

The case of the week was pretty predictable. I knew Annalise would win the case. Is she going to win every case? 

Why exactly does Annalise need Sam? Is he that good in bed? He is not worth it girl. Have some dignity. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Love 5

I took the Bonnie/Laurel convo as Bonnie totally projecting her own crush/relationship with Sam onto Laurel-Frank.  The rich kids may flirt with the underlings, but it's never anything more.  Something seemed to change in Bonnie while Sam was apologizing to her, and I think she kind of gave up on her crush, at least temporarily.  Her sleeping with Asher is her attempt to really forget Sam.

Between this week's case and last week's, Annaliese is becoming a bit emotionally unhinged in the courtroom.  Her winning streak may be near the end.

• Love 3

So we're getting closer to figuring out what happened that night. Again, I'm leaning toward Sam tried to attack Rebecca because maybe she figured out something else about him (I'm starting to think he really did kill Lila) and Wes and company defended her and somehow he ended up dead. Again,  I think Laurel, Connor and Michaela may be a case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time, probably showed up while the attack was happening and they somehow got their hands dirty. That being said I still don't like Rebecca and Wes continues to bug as long as he's up her ass. I also have a major problem with his being totally fine with Griffin being sold down the river for Lila's murder with no real proof in my opinion that he did it, simply because Rebecca said she didn't and so she must be telling the truth.

That's what's bugging me so much about this shit. I have seen ZERO reason for why Wes is so certain this girl is telling the truth and is determined to believe in her. It's so ridiculous that it makes me hope that others' theory that he is hiding something and he isn't what he seems turns out to be true because at least all this shit will make sense. I also notice we've never seen Rebecca being asked about Griffin's story that she sold him drugs that night, he got high and she came onto him and set him up for Lila to walk in on them.

I guess we're just supposed to believe he lied about that but I'm not sure why I should. It's clear from Rebecca and Griffin's interactions that Wes saw that there was some history and story between them. It just really pisses me off that the guy so callously gets set up all for Rebecca and Wes and his big "do gooder/hero complex" is apparently fine with that. Well luckily Frank is a shitty henchman. Who the hell plants evidence in someone's car IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY IN BROAD DAYLIGHT? Seriously now...

Few other things - I find it interesting that Annalise immediately assumed Sam was with Bonnie. And are we supposed to now assume she really wasn't involved with what happen or will it be a big misdirect. My guess is she isn't because I suspect next season will be her working to get all these idiots off for Sam's murder. I think Nate lied about being fired so Annalise wouldn't be onto him and cover her tracks. I think he's undercover and very much still working for the police building a case about Lila's murder. Frank and Laurel continue to bore and meanwhile, the absolute funniest scene on this show ever, was Asher trying to rush Connor for talking about his father and basically falling over his own feet and hurting himself. Connor's casual "Wtf" look while sipping his wine was absolutely perfect.

I half expected the shot to cut to witness and see Annaliese interrogating Colonel Nathan R. Jessep.

lol, no kidding, for a moment I was totally expecting him to yell, "you got damn right I did..." And then I remembered I wasn't watching A Few Good Men. Although the Senator definitely had Jessup's same smug superiority when first answering the questions.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

This is one of the few shows that surprises me. I did not see Bonnie sleeping with Asher coming. 

Asher's dance cracked me the hell up. That is the kind of dance that most everyone does when they are alone, but will deny it until the day they die. I also laughed when he fell over the box. 

I liked that Asher protected his father. It is always unbelievable to me when tv characters give up family members in favor of people that they just met. His obsession with the trophy is so ridiculous, but it is funny at  the same time.

Nate is not letting go of his grudge against Annalise.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 8

I also got a good laugh when Asher was going through his phone and looking at the bonfire photos and seen the one with Michaela and Connor and Michaela's smile. I'm wondering why they sent the photos to Asher? Are they somewhat using Asher to try and set their alibi in stone? With the way those flashbacks were going it seems that Asher did something to cause them to get away from him or don't want anything to do with him. In the flashbacks Asher is knocking on the door wanting his trophy back (I tell ya he's obsessed with that trophy) and also when looking at the bonfire photos he says something to the affect that they didn't invite him somewhere and there they are at the bonfire.

They still have that cop to worry about that seen them at the house. 

Considering Matt McGorry is a former bodybuilder, he looked terrible with his shirt off. Junk food conuseur Jack Falahee has a better body.

Anyway, Asher's dancing and Connor/Mikayla snipping was hilarious.

I think both Bonnie & Wes are being dishonest about who they are.

• Love 3
I'm wondering why they sent the photos to Asher? Are they somewhat using Asher to try and set their alibi in stone?

I don't think they sent it to him. I think they probably uploaded it to Instagram or whatever social media account and Asher likely follows them and saw the pictures that way.

• Love 6

I keep forgetting about social media, from the fact I don't use any of those instagrams, facebook, twitter, and all that. I just hate watching t.v. and seeing them damn hashtag things come up on screen. Major eyeroll from me lol. 

• Love 6

No one has an issue with a defence attorney planting evidence on a suspect to advance the cause of her client? She basically fabricated evidence. Wouldn't that be obstruction of justice? I know she said "whatever it takes" but really, that was just outright wrong. I guess everyone acts badly on this show.

Now that Sam's chest has been splashed all over the news, that picture is probably ingrained on the minds of everyone in Philly. Guess he can't go swimming or go to the gym anymore for fear of being found out.

I know that these are the "Keating 5" but really, if I was in class with them I'd be uber annoyed. No one else ever gets called on or speaks in class besides these 5.

• Love 4

I know that these are the "Keating 5" but really, if I was in class with them I'd be uber annoyed. No one else ever gets called on or speaks in class besides these 5.

Well, we're only seeing snippets of what is probably a several hours long lecture. You can argue that she is calling on other students, but we only see the Keating 5 respond because they're part of the story. Also, Michaela did her thing where she just stands up without being called on.

I thought this was a pretty solid episode. We didn't delve too deeply into Asher, but McGorry got more screentime and show a somewhat broader range of emotions. I think what I liked most is that we got to see the five students interact with each other more outside of the Flashforwards. It was amusing to see their pre-crisis group dynamic. 

When Wes opened the door shirtless, I realised that the weird sexual tension between him and Annalise wasn't accidental.

Also the case of the week didn't feel like so much of a third wheel this time, so that's good too.

• Love 5

Meanwhile, all I can think about is when and how they are able to actually study or even go to any other classes at that college? It seems like they spend all their time working for Annalise. It was really glaring in this episode in particular where they spend all night there. How are they not failing their other classes?

• Love 4

Meanwhile, all I can think about is when and how they are able to actually study or even go to any other classes at that college? It seems like they spend all their time working for Annalise. It was really glaring in this episode in particular where they spend all night there. How are they not failing their other classes?

The time commitment does take its toll. Michaela was freaking out about the upcoming Torts exam an episode or two ago. She wanted Laurel's copy of someone's (Khan's?) fantastic legendary torts outline and tried to steal it from her bag.

This episode cemented for me the notion that the show would have been much better if the Keating 5 (had they been called that prior to this episode? The phrase was used to describe senators involved in a savings and loan scandal in the 80s) were just the Keating 3. You could really wrap Wes, Laurel and Michaela up into one character. It would also solve a lot of the show's problems if they gave up any pretense of these people being 1Ls and just made them 1st year associates. You could probably condense Frank and Bonnie too.

The little nitpicks with the COW -- an appellate court isn't going to be hearing testimony from live witnesses. Nor is it going to be imposing crazy ass "You have a week or we're sending him to the gas chamber" deadlines. Nor is it going to hear appeals just because --- as far as we saw, Team Keating had no evidence at first that there was anything wrong with the trial. A prosecutor who suspects perjured testimony could simply investigate himself. There's no need to involve the judge except to implicate the judge and have Asher have daddy issues. Also technically it would be improper for the prosecutor to have a conversation with the judge about the case without the defense attorney present.

The big (IMO) suspension of disbelief-destroying nitpick -- after Annalise hauls a state senator before the court, badgers him with no concrete evidence that he was involved in a conspiracy to murder 20 years ago, and gets shut down by the court, the court basically says, "Well, you acted inappropriately and have no evidence whatsoever that state senator was involved. BUT your complete lack of evidence is so compelling, we're recommending the state to investigate whether state senator was involved AND we've no choice but to acquit your client AND bar him from being retried."

I mean come on! It would not have taken that much work to have one of the Keating 5 develop at least some concrete info showing means or opportunity or even develop motive more. Sure the do-gooder victim was behind an injunction, but murder seems like a pretty desperate way of getting it lifted.

I'm torn about whether I should give the show kudos for attempting to address racial and class politics or be annoyed that it did it in the half-assed way it did.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 6

When Wes opened the door shirtless, I realised that the weird sexual tension between him and Annalise wasn't accidental.

I hope they wont go there. it creeps me out.

I really love Asher's oneliners.

I wonder if Bonnie slept with Asher to have an alibi because well Asher, really? However, the show wants us to think it's Rebecca and the Keating 5 did it so I dont know.

• Love 1

This show confuses me, but I still love it because I just want to keep watching to see what happens.

I can't stand Wes, he's so annoying.  Why does he have the hots for Rebecca?  Is he just a captain save a ho, or something else?  I hope something else because he's acting like a jerk, and he's not even hot, and he looks like a cross between an ostrich and a giraffe.  

I don't nitpick this show because I don't even think they're trying to get the legal stuff right, but I liked this case because it did ring true for me.  Douchebag developers who want to get black folks out and get white folks in is REAL true in NYC, and also it's REAL stupid, because many of those rich folks won't put down roots and when they get sick of the city, they bail.

I still think Asher is a jerk, why don't you want to name your dad, he's a racist scumbag!  I mean would he feel the same way if he found out his dad was a child molester?  I guess that's why so many of them don't go to jail, because their families don't have a guts to do the right thing.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 4

Why exactly does Annalise need Sam? Is he that good in bed? He is not worth it girl. Have some dignity. 

When it comes emotions, there is no rationalizing why some people "think" that they need someone. Besides given that Annalise was having a torrid affair with Nate, I don't see her having the high ground when it comes to Sam's affair. They might not have an open marriage, but they are definitely not monogamous. However, I do think that Annalise is right to be upset that Sam did not tell her about the affair when the young woman was murdered, especially when he would likely be a suspect.

So we're getting closer to figuring out what happened that night. Again, I'm leaning toward Sam tried to attack Rebecca because maybe she figured out something else about him (I'm starting to think he really did kill Lila) and Wes and company defended her and somehow he ended up dead. Again,  I think Laurel, Connor and Michaela may be a case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time, probably showed up while the attack was happening and they somehow got their hands dirty. 

Your scenario might be right. As of right now, I think that Sam killed Lila. Maybe he really did go to make sure that Lila was all right, but she threatened to tell Annalise about the affair and he accidentally killed her. He hid the body and then went home. Annalise could have been calling Bonnie because she just got evidence of Sam's guilt and wanted to confront him.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

I hope they wont go there. it creeps me out.

Me too. I think there's some kind of relationship between them but I'm not seeing as a mother/son one. Given the way she mocks Wes behind his back, calling him "the puppy", I'm wondering if maybe he's Sam's kid from a fling back in the day. Of course neither Sam nor Wes know but it might explain why Annalise is simultaneously protective and derisive toward Wes. He would be the living embodiment of her husband's longtime philandering and a symbol of the one thing she'll never have with Sam.

During that final intense scene between Annalise and Sam, I was saying to myself, "Don't take off the wig. Please don't take off the wig." It was quite powerful and dramatic the first time she did it but enough already. AFAIC, she'd be fine just to stop with the wig altogether and wear her natural hair. I guess maybe she thinks she looks more "acceptable" to jurors and her professional associates with the wig.

• Love 2

I thought that Bonnie might be using Asher as an alibi too. Of course Doucheface will be bragging to everyone that "Bosher" actually happened. He's Doucheface.

Is this episode the first in which Annalise was expressly talking about race? Her getting mad about "that white whore" and her being upset about gentrification and black people came as a surprise.

Wes is the one student who seems to come from a low income background. Unlike the others, he struggled in the class from the beginning. I think that is what drew Annalise to him in the first place (I don't mean physical attraction).

Edited by SimoneS

A lot less repetition in the flashforwarding this episode, which I greatly appreciate.  I hope that trend continues.

When they pulled back to reveal Bonnie was the person Asher was in bed with, I almost started laughing because it seemed so random.  I think it's because the two of them have been in 5 previous episodes together but haven't even spoken as far as I can remember, and also that Asher acts like a little kid and Bonnie's severe hair and makeup make her look like she's old enough to be his mother.

I'm now wondering if Wes killed Lila and that's why he's so sure Rebecca's innocent. I don't know what made me think that, though.

ETA: lulee, thanks for the clarification!  I agree it isn't really a spoiler.

Edited by mikem

I'm having difficulty staying with the show. It's so over the top that even though I am not a legal professional, my head feels like it's going to explode when I watch. 

My favorite things this week were the jokes about Kennebunkport, which is truly one of the whitest places I've ever seen. I laughed and laughed when he tried to say it wasn't.

Wes annoyed me so much in this episode. I really wanted Annalise to tell him to sit the eff down and stop making demands.

Is she going to win every case?

Well, she didn't really "win" the Bomb Mom case; her client just skipped out on her. But I take your point.

Mikem, I read what you spoiler-tagged, although I think it's just speculation, no? I don't think that that event you described would have been possible -- or at least there haven't been any indications that those two even knew each other, have there? So if that's true, it's going to be out of left field.

And, I guess I'll be thatposter, but in the recap:

Viola must've been polishing her Oscar and remembering her glory days,
She's been nominated twice but didn't take home the golden man either time.
  • Love 1

Now I'm curious from where Bonnie and Frank's devotion to Annalise stems. Because to plant evidence in broad fucking daylight has to show some real devotion to the cause.

Unless Annalise already knows that former sidepiece Nate is watching her and her team and all of this was part of her master plan to set Nate up.

Who did Wes kill to get his spot off the wait list? Is this going to be a Runaway Jury situation where he's purposely playing his idiot role to sneak his way into Annalise's world?

Edited by Dean Learner
  • Love 3

This show confuses me, but I still love it because I just want to keep watching to see what happens.

I can't stand Wes, he's so annoying.  Why does he have the hots for Rebecca?  Is he just a captain save a ho, or something else?  I hope something else because he's acting like a jerk, and he's not even hot, and he looks like a cross between an ostrich and a giraffe.  

I don't nitpick this show because I don't even think they're trying to get the legal stuff right, but I liked this case because it did ring true for me.  Douchebag developers who want to get black folks out and get white folks in is REAL true in NYC, and also it's REAL stupid, because many of those rich folks won't put down roots and when they get sick of the city, they bail.

I still think Asher is a jerk, why don't you want to name your dad, he's a racist scumbag!  I mean would he feel the same way if he found out his dad was a child molester?  I guess that's why so many of them don't go to jail, because their families don't have a guts to do the right thing.

Yea I didn't get why he would want to protect his father after finding out what he did. I wouldn't, I'd say put him on blast especially since his father told him to get out and said that he's ungrateful. IDK if he didn't because his father may be paying for his schooling and if he did, he probably would be unable to afford going to college and would have to drop out. That's the only reason I'm coming up with. 

I think Bonnie killed Sam and she was establishing her alibi.

She probably did hence all the evil glares and stares. Sam probably shot her down to sleep with her and she became upset. Then again if she's the killer IDK why Connor, Michaela, Laurel, and Wes would protect her. 

I don't like Annalise caving into her student's demands whenever they're upset. Law is pretty much cutthroat and anyone is fair game so if they're throwing a fit then law isn't the career path for them.

Edited by ShadowSixx

So did Annaliese hang the new wallpaper all by herself while simultaneously saving a death row inmate? Cause if not, there's a handyman out there who knows what paper was taken down and replaced quickly in the home of the defense attorney in a high profile case.

Also "I don't think you should go to jail for something you shouldn't do" should immediately have been followed by "but Griifin should??"

• Love 3
So did Annaliese hang the new wallpaper all by herself while simultaneously saving a death row inmate? Cause if not, there's a handyman out there who knows what paper was taken down and replaced quickly in the home of the defense attorney in a high profile case.

Would the handyman even remember the wallpaper?  I mean if you take down wallpaper all the time I would think it all kind of blurs.  I didn't even realize Analiese's bedroom even had wallpaper until she brought it up; I'm too much into the story I guess.  Maybe if someone was taking down wallpaper, they'd be thinking of something else, other than the color of the wallpaper.

Also "I don't think you should go to jail for something you shouldn't do" should immediately have been followed by "but Griifin should??"

Well didn't you hear, per Wes, "Griffin is not a good guy" based I assume on him and Rebecca arguing about what, Wes doesn't know but it clearly means Griffin is not a good guy so who cares if he gets set up for a murder he didn't commit. He's a popular football player which means he's privileged and the poor, drug dealing waitress girl has to be innocent and victim of circumstances. Whatever...

Of the show's myriad of issues, this is the one that most bugs me. Like the Frank and Laurel affair that seemingly came out of nowhere with little development, I still have yet to understand WHY I'm supposed to believe Rebecca is some innocent and why I should care about and I guess want to root for her. Nothing I've seen so far has sold me on that. I guess her fear last episode after figuring out Sam was the one Lila was sleeping with suggests she's telling the truth but not really. 

Then again if she's the killer IDK why Connor, Michaela, Laurel, and Wes would protect her.

And this is what I always come back to with any theory of where this is going. I had suspected Bonnie because I've always thought her feelings for Sam were one-sided and figured maybe she snapped on him and killed him. But I just could not come up an explanation for how those four would get involved and proceed to make themselves full on accessories by getting rid of the body. 

Not as good as Episode 4, but better than episode 5. Of course, this being a Shondaland show, it managed to be predictable in some ways and batshit crazy in others. On the "predictable" front, there's Asher, the douchy rich boy from a powerful family whose seemingly noble Judge father succeeded at the expense of an innocent man and a Black one at that, who wound up on Death Row for killing his White girlfriend. That Asher's daddy didn't deny Asher's accusation of corruption when he confronted him and kicked him out was predictable, but Asher's literally stumbling over a break in the Client Of the Week's case that involved witness tampering and political corruption wasn't, nor were his booty calls with Bonnie, whom I find worse with every episode. Bonnie's not only a liar, a stalker and a bully, as she proved with Laurel, she's also a hypocrite. Bonnie has a lot of nerve lecturing Frank about sleeping with students and accusing Laurel of "slumming" with Frank when she's screwing Asher, who's both a student and a rich kid. I'm no fan of Laurel or Frank separately or together, but I'm no fan of hypocrisy either. IMO, Bonnie has no more right to judge Laurel or Frank for keeping secrets than Asher does to accuse Wes of the same thing, which Wes rightly called him on.

Speaking of Wes, he not only still intrigues me, he's proven that he can be tough when he wants to be, that he's capable of blackmail when necessary and that he looks pretty good in a towel. Wes also got Rebecca to open up a little and he even controlled Annalise-briefly, or course. However, I don't think that he just has the hots for Rebecca, otherwise he probably would've slept with her the first chance he got, nor do I think he's in "Captain 'Save-A-Ho'" mode. Wes' willingness to fight for Rebecca and sacrifice the trophy showed growth on his part. However, while Wes took some steps forward this week, Annalise took a few steps backward. She did a great job saving her client, but her saving Sam because she "needs/loves" him is, for lack of a better word, pathetic. I don't blame Wes for being mad at Annalise; I blame Sam for putting her in that position and Annalise for letting Sam get away with it and for using Frank to cover his ass, which will eventually backfire, if Nate has anything to say about it. If Sam had kept his junk in his pants, chances are that none of this shit would be happening in the first place.

Would the handyman even remember the wallpaper?  I mean if you take down wallpaper all the time I would think it all kind of blurs.  I didn't even realize Analiese's bedroom even had wallpaper until she brought it up; I'm too much into the story I guess.  Maybe if someone was taking down wallpaper, they'd be thinking of something else, other than the color of the wallpaper.

Yeah, I was kind of being tongue in cheek. It's just that Annaliese characterizes the wallpaper as the only thing tying Sam to the photo. so, she calls attention to it by having it hastily removed and replaced. It's like sending frank in broad daylight to plant the phone. She is stumbling around trying to cover up for Sam but doing a crappy job of covering her own tracks.

Note to continuity folks:  Speaking from some personal experience, when you pick up a cup of fresh, hot coffee, it is picked up by the handle, not with fingers wrapped around the cup.  Just a nitpick in an otherwise decent episode.

I had suspected Bonnie because I've always thought her feelings for Sam were one-sided and figured maybe she snapped on him and killed him. But I just could not come up an explanation for how those four would get involved and proceed to make themselves full on accessories by getting rid of the body. 

I think others have mentioned that they think they're protecting Annalise (who interestingly, as established this episode, knows nothing about the murder or says she doesn't).

I have to say, I think they whiffed big time on casting Frank and styling the character. They were clearly going for "blue-collar guy aspiring to look professional," but the beard, the expensive-looking suits and next to no accent (or a really bad accent) belie that entirely. They needed to make him clean-shaven and ease up on the tailored suits. Or make the actor do a decent accent. Law & Order knew how to style a "wrong side of the tracks defendant at court" all the time -- something would just look off, and the accent always gave them away. But Frank has always looked -- and sounded -- pretty polished to me that I was utterly confused about him until Bonnie spelled it out this episode.

(Also: Laurel is rich? Have we gotten any hints about that at all, other than "Her apartment probably doesn't look like Wes' apartment.")

I have to say, Peter Norwalk writes/creates/shepherds a good mystery. Shonda's anticlimactic solutions to the mysteries on Scandal must've driven him nuts.

But just go with it (or not…her new and improved wigs don't care either way).

This could essentially be the tagline for the whole show. There's a whole lotta not giving a damn involved in its creation. I guess the writers get credit for being frank about how little they care about story logic, the legal process or actual human motivations?

Asher's pretty entertaining, in his un-evolved way, but this show continues to be so resolutely terrible I can't even enjoy it in a "it's fun to hate-watch" way. The most fun I had was watching Bonnie get her Paris Geller on ordering the police sergeant around over the confession tapes. 

Edited by Sandman

I agree. The show needs to show us soon why this strong and capable women is a doormat for her husband. 

I also find her relationship interesting. They both cheat on each other and I think they both know that they cheat on each other, they just don't talk about it and they never want it brought to their attention. That's my take on it.

To me this episode felt more balanced in that we got some intel about the central mystery while having a COTW that reveals another aspect of Annalise's character.

I like Asher. I never thought the dudebro attitude was all he was; until last night we didn't know his father was a famous judge, so I assumed he was bright but socially inept (in a cliche way). Plus Matt McGorry is selling it so well, his one-liners and facial expressions have been awesome. I love feeling like an actor is having a blast playing a character, and this one is so different from the prison guard he plays on OITNB. Plus I'm glad he's not part of the central mystery, because hopefully that keeps him "clean" for a second season.

I do think they are taking too long revealing what Wes' deal is. We have had hints that he's more than just an idealistic puppy; last night when he told Annalise to "stop it" I realized he was aware that she had been using her sexual energy or whatever you want to call it to keep him off balance. Alfred Enoch was on Kimmel last week and he was pretty charming, seemed a little less gawky in his lankiness than Wes is. Plus, British accent, which - purrrr.

Laurel: still not convinced there's anything there. And I have never seen an actress so ill-suited to a statement necklace.

Frank: Mystified about everything about him, but worse, I just don't care.

Bonnie: Stone Bitch. Could be fun, but she just isn't. Too humorless.

Connor: Favorite line last night, when Asher fell over the box: "That is the best thing I've seen all day."

Mikaela: Bored now.

Nate: Hey now! That was a cool reveal, that he's still investigating. But for whom?

And then of course there's Dame Viola. I loved how she handled the court case -- she knew she had nothing solid but she was determined to get all her accusations out as part of the record. Annalise once again goes all operatic on their asses and no one can counter that. Although I still don't get why she loves Sam and his potato nose.

• Love 3

My (non-lawyer) understanding of mistrials is that if the prosecution causes a mistrial, then jeopardy attaches and the accused is freed.  If the defense, or a neutral party causes the mistrial, then the prosecution can choose to start a 2nd trial.  In this case, the prosecution caused the problem by allowing perjury, so the PA Supreme Court said there wouldn't be a new trial because of double jeopardy.  Doing that on the basis of speculation without evidence though...

I'd have assumed a more normal procedure would be for the Supreme Court to delay the execution indefinitely, and send the case back to a lower trial court to investigate whether or not there was perjury.  But that would take months, and this case had to be contained to a single episode taking place over a short timeframe, so I was okay with that.

All that being said, the episode was enjoyable.  A few characters still grate, but overall I thought there was better chemistry.  And Asher is still my favorite character, possibly because he's the least complicated.

I have to say, I think they whiffed big time on casting Frank and styling the character. They were clearly going for "blue-collar guy aspiring to look professional," but the beard, the expensive-looking suits and next to no accent (or a really bad accent) belie that entirely. They needed to make him clean-shaven and ease up on the tailored suits. Or make the actor do a decent accent. Law & Order knew how to style a "wrong side of the tracks defendant at court" all the time -- something would just look off, and the accent always gave them away. But Frank has always looked -- and sounded -- pretty polished to me that I was utterly confused about him until Bonnie spelled it out this episode.

Wait. Is that what we're something to be getting with Frank--blue-collar guy? Wow. Either I'm not watching the show closely enough, or the show is doing a piss-poor job of characterization because all I get from Frank right now is smarmy.

Good: Asher. I like how he is not just a comic relief douchebag. I especially liked how  at end of the episode he called other liars in such tone, you just know he wish to be part of the group. If he only knew, how lucky he is for not belonging to them. I also like how everyone from K5 have own girlfriend/boyfriend, so the show is wisely avoiding predictable and boring love triangles between the core group of characters like so many other shows are doing.

Bad: Case of the Week. It feel like filler and it is filler. I am really not interested in law procedural, even if those cases were remotely believable, which they are not. I just hope the show will get rid of it once we get to the present time, which should be soon. They seems do be designed  purely for Viola, maybe producers think they will get  Emmy this way. Writers should instead concentrate on making the show better, flashing out other characters should be first priority, they need it a lot.

Other: I am clearly in minority, but i really like Rebecca/Wes. It is easy to relate to the idealistic guy, who get into trouble for trying to impress a hot neighbour girl. I like the actress and i sort of hope she killed both Lila and Sam. It would be hilarious if this trashy girl would ruin a life of all  those arogant, rich, hypocritical, lying and cheating characters. I can easily see Sam is redherring for Lila murder and we should suspect someone - probably Rebecca killed him in self-defense. But it could be Lila was murdered by Rebecca (and probably Griffin), who than killed Sam in not self-defense and others will know it only once they are too implicated in the cover up.

I do not see any sexual chemistry between Annalise and Wes. They are just very similar and they can feel it. Annalise see herself in him. She also started as idealistic and non-privileged and lost her way during her career. Wes is set to follow her path and ruthlessly breaking  laws to get what he want. You can already see it how he does not protest at all, when Griffin is set up as a murderer.