Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Freakin' Whack-a-Mole

Two inconsistent things about the COTW. When David, the defendant/death row inmate, was rehashing his potential alibi for Annalise, my friend pointed out to me that if this was an old case, these would all be details that Annalise already knew and would have investigated. Also, if Annalise was his original attorney, wouldn't she have known Judge Millstone had presided over it. That seemed to be a surprise to her, which I found odd.

Besides given that Annalise was having a torrid affair with Nate, I don't see her having the high ground when it comes to Sam's affair. They might not have an open marriage, but they are definitely not monogamous.

Yeah, I can't with her being all upset about him sleeping with Lilla when they got together through an affair and she has been cheating on him until her boyfriend got fed up that she would sell him out to win a case. 

Also, if Annalise was his original attorney, wouldn't she have known Judge Millstone had presided over it. That seemed to be a surprise to her, which I found odd.

She wasn't the original attorney, she stated that she was in law school at the time of the case. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Wait. Is that what we're something to be getting with Frank--blue-collar guy? Wow. Either I'm not watching the show closely enough, or the show is doing a piss-poor job of characterization because all I get from Frank right now is smarmy.

Yeah, I figured that's what Bonnie meant by "Rich girls don't go for guys like Frank" or "You're toying with him and he thinks he has a chance with you." Unless one partner is significantly less attractive than the other (not the case here I don't think) to me, that generally implies a discrepancy in net worth. But again, I didn't realize Laurel was rich either, so the show isn't doing the best job delineating the Haves from the Have Nots.

• Love 2

As to why Asher did not want to rat out his father there are a few possibilities IMO: people's relationships with their fathers are complicated and he probably did not want to cause his father any more pain. Second, it is clear that he idolizes his father and so he might be reluctant to tear that idol down. Third, there is his own self-interest. Asher will be far more successful as son of esteemed wrote-the-book-on-judicial-ethics Judge Millstone than he would as son of disgraced former Judge Millstone.

As to double jeopardy, it attaches upon a judgment on the merits IIRC. So if the prosecution is the source of a mistrial it still can retry.

• Love 1

It's just really grating on me how the show seems to be so proud of itself and the way it ends episodes on what are clearly intended to be "DUHN DUHN DUHHHN" moments, except I more often than not feel very "yeah, and?" about it.

Oh well, only positive for me was now we theoretically know where Bonnie was the night of the murder. Or, part of it. If she were the one calling Asher when the four nearly hit him with the car, then I guess we don't know where she was during the murder either.

• Love 2

I like Asher. I never thought the dudebro attitude was all he was; until last night we didn't know his father was a famous judge, so I assumed he was bright but socially inept (in a cliche way). Plus Matt McGorry is selling it so well, his one-liners and facial expressions have been awesome. I love feeling like an actor is having a blast playing a character, and this one is so different from the prison guard he plays on OITNB. Plus I'm glad he's not part of the central mystery, because hopefully that keeps him "clean" for a second season.

I seriously forgot that Asher is played by the same actor that plays the guard on OITNB. That's damn good acting. The prison guard character is sweet, naive, and weirdly sexy. Ashley is not at all attractive, arrogant, and super excitable. Matt McGorry is genius, I think.

• Love 6

In the past, I haven't had difficulty following the show, but this particular episode did confuse me a bit. 

Bonnie perplexes me, but I guess I did find it amusing when she chewed Laurel out. Her directness is a bit of  rarity.

I don't get the vibe between Annalise and Wes. Is Annalise attracted to Wes? Or is he attracted to her? Are they both trying to use their, uh, tension to one-up each other? The towel scene was a bit ...odd. 

Edited by bantering

My new theory about Bonnie is that she's been planted at Annalise's firm by Sam's first wife to cause trouble in the Anni/Sam marriage. Perhaps while on the mission to sow dissension in the House of Keating, she fell for Sam? I haven't worked through all the particulars, but I figure it's as plausible as anything the show's given us to go on so far.

I don't get why Asher isn't at Harvard Law School if his father is a prominent judge and his family hangs out with the elite Ivy people. That seems to be more the type of school someone like him would choose as his first preference.  Were his LSAT scores not that good?

• Love 2

I missed the first 10 minutes of the episode and only now watched it and I'm glad I did because I got to see the awesome moment when Annalise called out Wes' bullshit with regards to Rebecca, pointing out he's so sure of everyone's guilt apparently (no issues with the setting up of Griffin, calling Annalise disgusting for protecting Sam) and judging them yet he's putting all his faith on a drug dealing girl he barely knows who had the dead girl's phone in her possession that she willingly used him to hide it in his apartment.

And I loved her snide, "please don't tell me it's because you think she's telling you the truth...I think I taught you better than that." Of course it's not like it changed anything because at this point Wes is so far up that girl's ass nothing will make him get a clue but it was nice having someone voice the stupidity of his seemingly unwavering belief in Rebecca. A girl he barely freaking knows. 

The other thing I found particularly interesting in that first ten minutes, is when the four were considering letting Asher into the house with the thinking that if they did, it would automatically make him involved somehow. Rebecca I noticed went as far as adding they could get him to slip in the blood, therefore adding his DNA to the scene (have I mentioned I REALLY, REALLY don't like that character). This stood out to me because it just further supports my belief that this may a case of everyone else accidentally being in the wrong place at the wrong time and unwittingly becoming part of a murder scene.

I also noticed Connor saying something about none of us wanted to be here when Laurel shot down opening the door by stating that they shouldn't make Asher a part of the whole thing. And at this point, I expect Wes and Rebecca to sell the other three down the river because at this point I'm so over Wes and his Rebecca obsessing and I don't trust Rebecca as far as I can throw her, along with my plain dislike of her. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I also noticed Connor saying something about none of us wanted to be here when Laurel shot down opening the door by stating that they shouldn't make Asher a part of the whole thing.

I believe what Connor said in response to Laurel(ETA- just rewatched; he said it to Wes) was "I didn't want to be a part of this either", which pinged for me, because it signaled to me that, at the very least, out of the four of them, he didn't actually kill Sam, but either got dragged into the cover-up, or was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Matt McGorry just killed me this episode, and after seeing on Instagram that he actually choreographed out that whole dance kind of makes me love him.

My theory on Bonnie sleeping with Asher (which might not gel with the timeline that night; I'm still a little fuzzy): I think Frank asked her to distract Asher so he could get the statue back in Asher's house. At first, I thought she destested Frank, but after her speech to Laurel this episode, I think she feels friendly/slightly sisterly towards him.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 3

This was the best episode for me, but then I'm not a lawyer.

Asher's dance cracked me the hell up. That is the kind of dance that most everyone does when they are alone...

Little old lady me included. Hah! Loved it.

Considering Matt McGorry is a former bodybuilder...

*shapeshifter quickly Googles pics* Huh. I had no idea.

...I still think Asher is a jerk, why don't you want to name your dad, he's a racist scumbag!

Dad's a horrible person, but I'm not sure he was racist...

[Oops. ETA: He seems to be just that. From http://previously.tv/how-to-get-away-with-murder/brimful-of-asher/: "But come on, Asher, the guy makes his middle-aged black maid wear a uniform in 2014.]

Still, I suspect he could be an equal opportunity scumbag. He likely would've just as willingly hung a poor white or other ethnicity kid out to dry to get appointed to whatever the high paying judge job was that he got in exchange for framing an innocent guy.

Nitpick, but not really: Did Annalise misspell HABEAS CORPUS on the blackboard in the beginning? It looked like she missed the second A...

Nope. It was correct. Edited by shapeshifter

So I'm not liking Laurel. Which I think is ok and kind of the point and one of the things SR shows do well(amiss all the mess): showing a character that on the surface looks like someone who should be a good person, but isn't. I agree that I think Bonnie called it. She's a rich girl playing poor who, when push comes to shove, will revert back into an entitled rich girl. I think Makalya is the opposite. I think she's a poor or middle class girl playing rich who, when push comes to shove, is not quite the heartless striver she so desperately wants to be.

I also like that Asher so far isn't stupid or immoral or a murder. He got the goods on his Dad and made sure an innocent man went free and seamed really horrified at what his Dad did, but couldn't quite bring himself to ruin his father. Annalise actually looked impressed when he blackmailed her out if the trophy. Sort of a "I only picked you because your dad is a judge, but you might have the goods. Well done, grasshopper."

At this point I'm also interested in how Asher ended up on the outside of the 5. They're turning into a lovely bunch contemplating implicate their classmate in a murder to save themselves(not lost on me that Laurel came up with that idea.). I'm actually excited to see how that night ended up happening. Oh and how long Asher and Bonnie have been knocking boots since it sounded like Asher knew that was a booty call.

But bottom line is I'm trying like mad to enjoy S1 because if this follows the path of all SR's other shows its all down hill after this season wraps.

• Love 2

I seriously forgot that Asher is played by the same actor that plays the guard on OITNB. That's damn good acting. The prison guard character is sweet, naive, and weirdly sexy. Ashley is not at all attractive, arrogant, and super excitable. Matt McGorry is genius, I think.

I thought the dance in his room was endearing and somewhat hot, especially the twerking.  YMMV.

Edited by ToukieSmith
  • Love 1

Re Annalise's confrontation with Wes, I might have been much more impressed with her accusing Wes of judging people and her questioning his taste re Rebecca if she hadn't accused Bonnie of sleeping with Sam the night that she was in bed with Asher and if Annalise herself wasn't lying to protect Sam, who, though he is her husband, is largely responsible for the whole shitstorm that's currently happening and possibly the even bigger one to come that leads to his own death.

While I do believe that Bonnie is at the very least infatuated with Sam, I also believe that Annalise's calling Bonnie was in some way connected to her own feelings of guilt because she was one of Sam's sidepieces herself before she married him. Annalise is learning the hard way that while she may know Sam in some ways, she doesn't in others and that may have cost Sam and Lila their lives.

Edited by DollEyes
Re Annalise's confrontation with Wes, I might have been much more impressed with her accusing Wes of judging people and her questioning his taste re Rebecca if she hadn't accused Bonnie of sleeping with Sam the night that she was in bed with Asher

One, that happened after because her calling Bonnie was clearly after Sam's murder and two, I don't see the correlation between the two situations. Annalise is clearly panicked and as she tells Bonnie, knows that something is really wrong. I imagine she was probably hoping Sam was with Bonnie because I think with the rug gone and probably there are signs of some struggle in the house, she's figured out something bad likely happened to Sam.

and if Annalise herself wasn't lying to protect Sam, who, though he is her husband, is largely responsible for the whole shitstorm that's currently happening and possibly the even bigger one to come that leads to his own death.

The point though is Annalise wasn't the one passing judgments on everyone - Wes was. He's the one who called both her and Sam disgusting and got on his moral high horse which is what Annalise pointed out to him. That he was acting so superior all because he's putting blind faith in a drug dealing girl who sure says she didn't have anything to do with Lila's murder but again, conveniently had Lila's phone. The phone she hid at Wes' apartment that he could have gotten in trouble for. On top of that, for all his moral superiority he barely batted an eye at Griffin's being set up with the phone. Rebecca seemed to have more of a conscience about it than he did. And again all this because why - for a girl he barely knows because "well she said she didn't do it."

At least, wrong or right, one can say Sam is Annalise's husband who as she stated while sounding broken and exhausted, she still loves. And people have done way worse and crazier for the people they love. The point always in my opinion with Wes' storyline, is that his actions make no sense when looked at in the context of the fact that he barely knows this girl, she was obnoxious and rude to him for much of the time he's known her and the only "proof" he has of her innocence is her saying she didn't do it. That's it. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Two inconsistent things about the COTW. When David, the defendant/death row inmate, was rehashing his potential alibi for Annalise, my friend pointed out to me that if this was an old case, these would all be details that Annalise already knew and would have investigated. Also, if Annalise was his original attorney, wouldn't she have known Judge Millstone had presided over it. That seemed to be a surprise to her, which I found odd.

Annalise wasn't his attorney. She was a first year law student, just like her students. Also, she was not surprised about the judge, Bonnie was surprised. Annalise knew full well who the judge was. As Conner pointed out, this reveal now let them know why Asher was among the five selected. We are supposed to take from this the knowledge that Annalise has a motive other than skill for selecting her student team. She may even have seen to it that all got into her class.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 1

She also would not have known about the potential alibi because the guy's attorney never brought it into evidence and never brought the guy as a witness in the trial. He explained to Wes and Laurel that it was because the guy was a heroin addict and the last thing he wanted was to have the jury associate his client with a drug addict, not to mention he may not have been considered a credible witness. 

• Love 1

Also, she was not surprised about the judge, Bonnie was surprised. Annalise knew full well who the judge was. As Conner pointed out, this reveal now let them know why Asher was among the five selected. We are supposed to take from this the knowledge that Annalise has a motive other than skill for selecting her student team. She may even have seen to it that all got into her class.

It's probably irrelevant because the scene was not included in the final product, but in the pilot script there is a scene that makes it explicitly clear that Asher is chosen because his dad is a circuit court judge.

• Love 1

Annalise and her "breakdowns" seem so over the top to me. As a woman, I dont know that I've ever been so on the verge in my life that ole A has been in a matter of a few months. And I'm not a bad ass, hard assed defense attorney. If she's neurotic, fine, but writers help me! Why is she wailing so often and then telling her lame ass husband she "needs him"? And why do we need to call the girl a "white" whore? He's white! That's more normal him screwing her than this bizarro loveless marriage that makes no sense. Just like she had her "black" cop on the side.

It was hard for me to believe that the Supreme Court allows an appeal and they have 5 days or whatever. Hell watching 48 hr mysteries and 20/20 I know these appellate death row things take years. And it hinges on some law students and Maxwell House to set him free? The fuck?

It would have been wise from the start to make Sam sympathetic. As it stands his dick is traced to a dead girl and his wife cheats too. Hard for this viewer to care how/when/why he died. The most I can muster is c'est la vie.

And yet...I still watch and post. :)

• Love 2

I really liked Asher in this episode. It was great to see him outside of the obnoxious fratboy mode. I appreciated that he didn't just circle the wagons when his Dad was accused of being corrupt. He investigated. He confronted his father with the results of this investigation. This was major character development to me because it revealed that Asher has a lot more strength than I thought. Not everyone can look a parent in the eye and lay out how they are terrible mofos. I also noticed that when their client's case was inexplicably dismissed with prejudice, Asher was tearing up.

Wes got extra points for me in the flash forward because he was the one who didn't want to involve Asher. These are some evil bastards. They really wanted to let Asher in just to make him a part of this murder and ruin his life? That is both mean and stupid. Who says Asher has to go along with them? He could just casually back out of their and go to the police, turning them all in.

I'm over Annalise and her obvious mental health issues. Get some medication and some self respect, Anna! That child doesn't love herself.

Wes and Rebecca are terrible. They are in way too deep, too fast. I just don't care. Wes is going to be a truly terrible attorney. Merely because Wes believes something, doesn't mean it is true and that everyone has to agree. Rebecca sucks and totally screwed him by putting a dead girl's phone in his bathroom! I don't understand why he is all in with this girl.

I find everyone but Asher to be morally repugnant. Everyone was side eying Asher because of his terrible father that let an innocent man be convicted. But doing the same to Griffin is ok? They don't know who killed Lila. Setting up Griffin is a disgusting act. Maybe he did do it, but their interference will give Griffin a great defense.  This is essentially how OJ won his murder trial.  Annalise should be disbarred and arrested. She has got to be the worst depiction of a professor that I've ever seen on a tv show.

• Love 1

Ok, I know I said I didn't want or need the show to give Asher any pathos, but I take it back. I love him.

I'm so freaking confused about how I'm supposed to be viewing this whole Frank/Laurel thing. He seems to be going after her as part of a pattern. I really don't see her leading him on at all. What the hell was Bonnie going on about? Am I supposed to assume that every pretty, rich, female student that has caught Frank's eye over the years is a big bad meanie for sleeping with him and then moving on? Are they trying to portray him as some hopeless romantic instead of a pervert? Ugh, shut up, Bonnie. Just kidding. Please continue lurking around corners and throwing that wicked side-eye. It gives me life.

But, yeah, Bonnie and Asher, did not see that coming. I'm intrigued by the idea that she killed Sam and then called Asher for some sexytimes as an alibi. And I think it was implied by the show that this is the first (and probably last) time these two have slept together. Asher seemed shocked when he was on the phone with her and heard she wanted to come over. Maybe Team Bosher (I died) has grown closer between this episode and the night of the bonfire, but in a non-sexual way until bam! Idk. I want to see where this is going.

Even though Annalise's reading of the senator for filth was totally out of line and bordering on ridiculous, I still loved it. Viola can deliver a monologue like no one's business.

• Love 1

Annalise and her "breakdowns" seem so over the top to me....

At this point I'm sort of immune to her doing it, so I can appreciate the decent acting/portrayal. Until this episode, for me it just seemed like a bad acting choice.

But definitely this:

...Viola can deliver a monologue like no one's business.

Still, watching this show is like watching the proverbial train wreck from which I cannot seem to turn away.

I just had to roll my eyes at Rebecca playing the victim with her doe-eyed "No one believed in me like that before" when in the previous episode she was gloating about how she liked making people uncomfortable.

She is rude and awkward on purpose and then is surprised people side-eye her? Jeez...

Ans since I can barely stand her, she by extent make me dislike Wes, who goes around lecturing Annelise when he is just as hypocritical as her.

Asher grew on me in this ep, props to McGorry

Viola can deliver a monologue like no one's business.

No kidding. So it follows that some posters over on the Scandal forum are proposing to have Joe Morton come over to this show as Annalise's new lover. Can you imagine? They'd be in bed just speechifying each other into paroxysms.

• Love 6

This was the best episode for me, but then I'm not a lawyer.

Dad's a horrible person, but I'm not sure he was racist...

[Oops. ETA: He seems to be just that. From http://previously.tv/how-to-get-away-with-murder/brimful-of-asher/: "But come on, Asher, the guy makes his middle-aged black maid wear a uniform in 2014.]

I noticed how Asher's dad had his maid dressed immediately. She was literally dressed like The Help

That was so meta.

Edited by discoprincess
  • Love 1

I am trying to tell myself it's only a tv show, but I still don't get how Annalise gets a new, often high-profile case each week and has the whole jury selection/trial/outcome all within that same week. It wouldn't be so obvious except that each episode we are given the time line (six weeks earlier, five weeks earlier, etc).

• Love 2

I agree with everyone who things Bonnie is using Asher as an alibi. Here's my take. I think Bonnie's in love with Annalise and all those 'looks' at Sam weren't about her coveting him but more about her hating him and the way he treats Annalise. She made a comment in this episode - something along the lines of "I would do anything for Annalise." And looking back to when she threatened the Chief of Police and outed Nate - that was for Annalise too. It would make sense that she killed Sam - she was protecting Annalise...she'd finally had enough of his cheating and his lies and in a fit of rage, smashed him over the head. Now we just need to figure out how/why the kids are involved in covering it all up.

• Love 1

Something that bugged that I haven't seen mentioned was the fact that the teacher and then the senator never really answered any of the tougher questions. Once Annalise got to the question of if the teacher agreed to testify for the rent problem, she just kept asking questions and then asked for the Senator to be brought in-no time for the teacher to answer. Same with the senator. Her first couple of questions about him were valid, but she didn't even give him time to answer, she just kept asking questions until she worked herself into a monologue.

I like the theory of Bonnie killing Sam, leaving to create her alibi, then the students trying to cover it up to protect Annalise because they think it's her, except... Bonnie is awfully loyal, why would she leave dead Sam where he would implicate Annalise? And, the chopping up and burning of Sam makes me think this is a little personal to the group (as in, they are protecting themselves). I think that, whatever happened, they were there and somewhat agree with Sam's punishment.

Edited by morgankobi

...I like the theory of Bonnie killing Sam, leaving to create her alibi, then the students trying to cover it up to protect Annalise because they think it's her, except... Bonnie is awfully loyal, why would she leave dead Sam where he would implicate Annalise? And, the chopping up and burning of Sam makes me think this is a little personal to the group (as in, they are protecting themselves). I think that, whatever happened, they were there and somewhat agree with Sam's punishment.

Except:

They have repeatedly shown in the flashbacks Annalise confronting Bonnie for getting Nate fired in her process of obtaining evidence for Annalise, and Annalise says to Bonnie accusatorially that Bonnie did it to protect someone in the house and it wasn't Annalise, which leaves only Sam, right?

Unless:

Does "this house" include Frank and Bonnie?

Edited by shapeshifter
Once Annalise got to the question of if the teacher agreed to testify for the rent problem, she just kept asking questions and then asked for the Senator to be brought in-no time for the teacher to answer. Same with the senator. Her first couple of questions about him were valid, but she didn't even give him time to answer, she just kept asking questions until she worked herself into a monologue.

I sort of disagree? Once she had the senator on the stand she asked him, as you note, several valid questions, and he very clearly answered without answering. Multiple times. It was only after senator made it clear he was going to skirt all the questions instead of answering directly that she worked herself into a monologue.

Although I don't know why there wouldn't have been one of those we-usually-see-on-TV "answer the question Mr. So and So"s from the judge to either make him answer or say he was 5th amendmenting himself, but clearly they went in a different TV-based direction of how that kind of questioning goes on TV, aka ramp into the lawyer monologuing.

• Love 2

I don't get why Asher isn't at Harvard Law School if his father is a prominent judge and his family hangs out with the elite Ivy people. That seems to be more the type of school someone like him would choose as his first preference.  Were his LSAT scores not that good?

I think we are supposed to believe that Middleton University Law School is in the class of Harvard, Yale etc. Back in the pilot someone (and it might have been Asher) was talking about how he interned for Chief Justice Roberts.

• Love 1

I think we are supposed to believe that Middleton University Law School is in the class of Harvard, Yale etc.

I figured Middleton University was supposed to be a cover for the University of Pennsylvania. Penn is Ivy League and it's law school is ranked fairly high.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1
I'm over Annalise and her obvious mental health issues. Get some medication and some self respect, Anna! That child doesn't love herself.

Honestly, I get that Annalise has to maintain a professionalism at work and she'll probably be a different person outside of it, but I am really getting annoyed at Annalise crying at pretty much everything outside of work. Viola Davis is doing a spectacular job, but watching her go from professional to a sappy mess is making my head spin, especially when she's around Wes. I hate the fact that she's so unprofessional around Wes half the time, like he has a hold over her. I do like that she stood up to his pretentious attitude, but I don't like how he has things over her. I'm not liking Wes much these days, though, because of his infatuation with Rebecca. I actually hate Rebecca, I think she's a bitch who doesn't really care about Wes, and she hasn't said one truly nice thing to him ever. Wes, you deserve better! I want to like you but not when you're with her. 

I think Asher's become my favourite character. I think it's because he's so on the outside, in the flash forwards and with the group presently. He also hasn't done anything super illegal and has been showing off his strengths. Him blackmailing Annalise was actually great. He protected his father, yet was still clearly disgusted by his actions. Asher sleeping with Bonnie certainly was surprising. I'm not sure I like it, but if it's because Bonnie was killing Sam that night and needed a quick alibi, then I'm all for it. This show is practically about cheese at this point, so let's go for it, show!

I don't get Laurel/Frank, I really don't. Frank's creepy, we've gotten nothing on his life or anything besides that he likes to sleep with younger women (apparently, everyone likes to do that on this show, though) and Laurel already has a great guy. Sure, people can't help being attracted to other people, but still, Frank? I like Laurel to a degree, but not when she's with Frank. 

... It was only after senator made it clear he was going to skirt all the questions instead of answering directly that she worked herself into a monologue.

I think "worked herself into a monologue" might be my new favourite thing.

I agree that Viola Davis is awesome, but the character of Annalise is untenable.

• Love 3

I figured Middleton University was supposed to be a cover for the University of Pennsylvania. Penn is Ivy League and it's law school is ranked fairly high.

From the brief glimpse I got from the crest in the background during Laurel's scene with Kahn (Kan?), the crest seems similar to Penn's.

Hey, who exactly is Frank anyway? If he's not a lawyer, what does he do? What's in his background would provide him with ties to someone that supposedly can wipe digital data from cell phones (unless it's someone like Cononor's computer geek LOL)?

Edited by discoprincess
Hey, who exactly is Frank anyway? If he's not a lawyer, what does he do? What's in his background would provide him with ties to someone that supposedly can wipe digital data from cell phones (unless it's someone like Cononor's computer geek LOL)?

I thought he was the firm's P.I. It would fit with the "rich girls" (including Laurel) toying with him, especially as cops/investigators are the "working class" profession, while lawyers are the more "white collar." Thinking about it now, Frank might like Laurel because she seems to be the only one to stand up for the little guy. If he's from less than favorable economic circumstances, that might be very appealing.

But again: styled all wrong for a working class/aspiring upper class guy.

• Love 1

I was super not impressed with Frank's non-stealthiness. He seemed to plant the phone in broad daylight. I mean, not that he had a reason to suspect someone was tailing him, but still oddly cavalier with his obstruction of justice. Shouldn't he have been potentially concerned someone might have been tailing football player?

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 2

What I don't like about Bonnie's reveal about Frank falling hard and getting hurt, is that it's all tell and no show. He's has been portrayed, to me, as a good-looking player who often hooks up with the newbies. Nothing has really been shown of anything other than a physical connection. Either the actor hasn't been directed well, or the writers changed course somewhere.

• Love 3

That's still a fairly standard maid's uniform:

corona-house-cleaning-maid-services-286x

Or should he not hire a middle-aged black woman to be a miad?  

Some maids wear a uniform like that when they are in a corporate setting, like if they are working for a hotel. Does anyone here know who has a domestic servant who dresses like that if they're working independently in a private home?

There may be some more diversity in who is a maid nowadays. 

Besides, I bet the writers of the show were deliberate in showing the maid in that location (by the study), and having her say what she said. They could have chosen only to show the maid (for example) when she opened the door to let Asher in.

Re Annalise's confrontation with Wes, I might have been much more impressed with her accusing Wes of judging people and her questioning his taste re Rebecca if she hadn't accused Bonnie of sleeping with Sam the night that she was in bed with Asher and if Annalise herself wasn't lying to protect Sam, who, though he is her husband, is largely responsible for the whole shitstorm that's currently happening and possibly the even bigger one to come that leads to his own death.

Annalise and her "breakdowns" seem so over the top to me. As a woman, I dont know that I've ever been so on the verge in my life that ole A has been in a matter of a few months. And I'm not a bad ass, hard assed defense attorney. If she's neurotic, fine, but writers help me! Why is she wailing so often and then telling her lame ass husband she "needs him"? And why do we need to call the girl a "white" whore? He's white! That's more normal him screwing her than this bizarro loveless marriage that makes no sense. Just like she had her "black" cop on the side.

If Annalise were to introduce Lila's cell phone into evidence, she may of course get her client Rebecca off (by introducing a new suspect - one of Annalise's lessons), but what would the legal ramifications be if Annalise were to introduce a new prime suspect that happened to be her husband? Then what? Would she have represented Sam?  What professional ramifications would Annalise and Sam have faced if this information were to become public? (For example, does Middleton have rules against professors dating students?) 

I can understand Annalise falling apart privately. To be fair, she's going through a lot right now. Not only did she just find out her husband was having an affair with the murdered student, but she just found out (from her jilted lover) that her husband's alibi does not check out. In addition, her jilted lover admitted to lying to her about the incriminating information and threw it in her face. She also is suspicious of her employee's (Bonnie's) motives regarding her husband. Annalise may feel as if her world in closing in and that's tough.

However, professionally Annalise is apparently rocking it like a badass. She hasn't allowed those with whom she is professionally involved to see any kinks in the armor yet (except for maybe Wes) - not even Marron (her client from the inside trading case). 

Edited by discoprincess
  • Love 1

Some maids wear a uniform like that when they are in a corporate setting, like if they are working for a hotel. Does anyone here know who has a domestic servant who dresses like that if they're working independently in a private home?

There may be some more diversity in who is a maid nowadays. 

Besides, I bet the writers of the show were deliberate in showing the maid in that location (by the study), and having her say what she said. They could have chosen only to show the maid (for example) when she opened the door to let Asher in.

If Annalise were to introduce Lila's cell phone into evidence, she may of course get her client Rebecca off (by introducing a new suspect - one of Annalise's lessons), but what would the legal ramifications be if Annalise were to introduce a new prime suspect that happened to be her husband? Then what? Would she have represented Sam?  What professional ramifications would Annalise and Sam have faced if this information were to become public? (For example, does Middleton have rules against professors dating students?) 

I can understand Annalise falling apart privately. To be fair, she's going through a lot right now. Not only did she just find out her husband was having an affair with the murdered student, but she just found out (from her jilted lover) that her husband's alibi does not check out. In addition, her jilted lover admitted to lying to her about the incriminating information and threw it in her face. She also is suspicious of her employee's (Bonnie's) motives regarding her husband. Annalise may feel as if her world in closing in and that's tough.

However, professionally Annalise is apparently rocking it like a badass. She hasn't allowed those with whom she is professionally involved to see any kinks in the armor yet (except for maybe Wes) - not even Marron (her client from the inside trading case). 

The news story suggested two spins Annalise could give: 1) QB is so enraged at learning that Lila was cheating on him he kills her 2) Sexter kills her for some reason, perhaps jealousy over QB.

The second theory is worse than the first, because nothing is known about Sexter, including whether he had motive, means, opportunity. QB obviously had both means and opportunity -- the sext supplies a potential motive.

Remember, the world at large does not know Sexter is Sam. So she could introduce information as Sexter and even introduce him as a suspect without outing him. In fact, it might be better if she does not make him concrete. Having him as a mystery man does more to introduce doubt than if it's specifically someone who might seem credible, might have an alibi, etc.

Speaking of alibis I think the detective actually lied to Annalise and told her that Sam's alibi checked out when it obviously didn't. 

In terms of potentially representing Sam, it would be a pretty bad idea for Annalise to do that. Putting aside for the moment her objectivity would be shot in general representing her husband, she already represents Rebecca. It is a bad idea both from a practical standpoint to represent two defendants in the same case  (because you have twice as much to focus on) but also from an ethical standpoint. In a case like (to take an example from pop culture) "My Cousin Vinny," where the defendants basically have the same defense (mistaken identity), it's OK and any potential conflicts can be waived. But in a case like this one, Sam and Rebecca have antagonistic defenses. That is, it is to Rebecca's benefit to introduce evidence suggesting Sam did it, and to Sam's benefit to suggest Rebecca did it. Even the state tried Rebecca and then Sam, there would still be the potential of the attorney compromising one or more of her duties to the previous or later client, and even the appearance of a potential conflict should be avoided.

Of course, this is all spitballing since Sam, he dead.

• Love 1

I thought he was the firm's P.I. It would fit with the "rich girls" (including Laurel) toying with him, especially as cops/investigators are the "working class" profession, while lawyers are the more "white collar." Thinking about it now, Frank might like Laurel because she seems to be the only one to stand up for the little guy. If he's from less than favorable economic circumstances, that might be very appealing.

But again: styled all wrong for a working class/aspiring upper class guy.

I thought he was a paralegal? I vaguely recall Bonnie taking a shot at him for not being a lawyer. Or maybe Annaliese did - said something like "Anyone who's not a lawyer go do something else blah blah fishcakes" and that is when we learn he's not a lawyer. But I'm usually well into my Scandal wine cardigan by HTGAWM so i could be making it up.

• Love 1

I don't think that they have said exactly what Frank is in terms of his title. The only thing I remember him doing job-wise besides snark about the law students and hit on Laurel was having a contact who could wipe some of the data from the phone, presumably using that contact to do that, and then planting the phone in broad daylight. 

Then again, it's not like the show has had Bonnie do much of anything besides snark about the law students, give bitchface, and sit at counsel's table with Annalise. She got the unedited version of the confession tape thanks to blackmail and exposited that Lila was preggers.