Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

I was thinking of doing research on printers, but I realized I had no way of making copies to be able to put in my vehicle I did not research before buying said vehicle. I just hope I do not get in an accident on the way to buy a printer I was not able to make copies on the research I did before figuring out which printer to buy in the vehicle I did  not spend numerous hours researching before taking her home. How will I explain to my insurance company I did not do any research on my vehicle I use to go to the place I brought my printer from. Will they force me to do a commercial warning people not to make the same mistake. Maybe I should do some researching on my insurance company to make sure they do not raise my rates or drop me like a red hot potato before I step in my vehicle I did not research. Maybe I should do extra research to make sure the printer does not cause an unfortunate accident on the way to the store or on the way home after buying the "one" printer.

I have never researched any car purchase. Do people really do that?

I used to, but mostly just to find out which models might fit a tall driver.  Then the industry embraced ergonomics and designing for people 5'4" to 5'8", so that's pointless now. Given that the average adult male in the U.S. is 5'11", I don't know what they're thinking; are they trying to sell more trucks and SUV's?

• Love 1

I used to, but mostly just to find out which models might fit a tall driver.  Then the industry embraced ergonomics and designing for people 5'4" to 5'8", so that's pointless now. Given that the average adult male in the U.S. is 5'11", I don't know what they're thinking; are they trying to sell more trucks and SUV's?

My husband is 6'4" and has had the same problem for years -- until he test drove a Mini Cooper.  Seriously.  We've since had two and he's never had a problem driving either.

• Love 1

My husband is 6'4" and has had the same problem for years -- until he test drove a Mini Cooper.  Seriously.  We've since had two and he's never had a problem driving either.

I forgot about BMW. The local dealership didn't have any Mini's the last time I shopped, but the salesman let me look at his own 3-series convertible. That was roomy, but I decided to pass on the offer to wait two months to pay list price on a fully-loaded model; they knew they were filling a niche other companies had abandoned.

• Love 1

I did.  My brother helped narrow down the initial field and recommended a few makes and models, then I looked into them -- their safety ratings, handling, comfort, bells and whistles, pricing, etc.  Still have that car 14 years later (and good thing my research paid off, because I can't afford a new one now!).

Love love love the Temptations kitty treat commercial, with Elton John plaintively singing "sorry seems to be the hardest word" while cats endure all manner of ridiculous holiday outfits (my cats were lucky I only put bows on their collars).  It's been a long time since I actually laughed out loud at a commercial.

Here it is! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMH4xmOeKxc

• Love 7

I love that Temptations commercial!  The music is perfect - "What do I have to do to make you love me?" - and those cats look miserable in the way that only cats in costumes can.  Although I do think the turkey costume is very cute.  :-)

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 7

Has anyone seen "Peter" or "Incest Peter" yet?

Folgers has been running a commercial with a different family for a couple years, with Grandma holding a baby and talking about his daddy's first Christmas.  I wish they had used Peter's family (without the incest vibe).  It would have been cute continuity.

My husband is 6'4" and has had the same problem for years -- until he test drove a Mini Cooper.  Seriously.  We've since had two and he's never had a problem driving either.

Interesting. My husband is 6'1" and the best fit for him was the New Beetle I used to have.

Most people I know do some research (they identify features that they want and find out which models in their price range have those features) but even my crazy-pants Dad who shops for cars for fun doesn't drill down to the torque ratios and that sort of thing. My research pretty much extends to checking out safety ratings and features (I've been insisting on anti-lock brakes, side air bags and traction control for a couple decades; I've considered good music system and power seat adjustments necessary to maintain my comfort) to find which few vehicles I want to test drive.

• Love 3

I've always done research for every car purchase, but never paid attention to the torque ratio.

I came here to post what has already been mentioned above...that Stevie Wonder needs to drop whoever that woman is who warbles in that Apple commercial. I seriously have to mute it every time it comes on because she even makes me hate to hear Stevie in it, too.

On the other hand, I've found I will slow down and watch the Barnes & Noble commercial with Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga singing "Baby It's Cold Outside" every time because their voices harmonize so well, and they look so happy, that I always smile when I watch it.

• Love 3

There's a really nifty ad that one of our local hospitals runs every year during the holidays. It's a shot of the outside of the building, with the windows lighting up and going dark again in time to "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" being played on bells. No dialog, just the music and the sign on the building, and the whole thing is only 15 seconds long. I wish I could find a copy of it online somewhere.

• Love 1

Can't seem to find it on youtube, but the Kroger's supermarket holiday commercial featuring a group of friends, including a man in a wheelchair, hits me right in the feels every time.  If someone else can find it, would you please share?

• Love 1

And some people just have dirty minds.  I've never once gotten an "incest" vibe off this commercial.

Somewhere on the Interwebs a couple years ago, I saw a version of this ad that someone edited with just a quick shot inserted of the sister putting her hand on Peter's.  It completely amped up the incest vibe a hundred-fold.

Somewhere on the Interwebs a couple years ago, I saw a version of this ad that someone edited with just a quick shot inserted of the sister putting her hand on Peter's.  It completely amped up the incest vibe a hundred-fold.

What, you're not physically demonstrative with your siblings, especially when you haven't seen them in a long time?

• Love 6

And some people just have dirty minds.  I've never once gotten an "incest" vibe off this commercial.

I have to agree with you.  I don't get how touching a sibling automatically means incest.  Strange.

The commercial I hate is that Old Navy one where two adults go to their friend's for dinner and because of how they're dressed they're seated at the kids table.  I'm like, shit if I had friends who were THAT superficial, they wouldn't be my friends any more.

• Love 5

I have to agree with you.  I don't get how touching a sibling automatically means incest.  Strange.

It was not an "actual" shot of the two original actors in the ad - it was intentionally shot, edited in, and timed to give it extra creepy by someone unaffiliated by Folgers or the ad agency as a gag.  

• Love 1

It's not the touching, but the underlying vibe between the actors. There are a couple of episodes of the Brady Bunch where you can tell that Barry Williams and Maureen McCormick have the hots for each other  - very NOT brother/sisterly.

• Love 3

I adore the Apple commercial with Stevie Wonder and family? I love how their voices blend together, so much emotion there. I don't like the Tony Bennett Lady Gaga commercial, because they have zero chemistry and could be in separate rooms.

• Love 1

I adore the Apple commercial with Stevie Wonder and family? I love how their voices blend together, so much emotion there. I don't like the Tony Bennett Lady Gaga commercial, because they have zero chemistry and could be in separate rooms.

I hate that woman in the Stevie Wonder commercials. She's just some random singer, not his wife. She ruins that song.

I wouldn't watch Lady Gag Me With A Spoon if you paid me.

• Love 2

This sort of internet reaction is why Crazy Ex-Girlfriend created a song called "I Love My Daughter (But Not in a Creepy Way)."

• Love 1

I love the folks behind the Oreo seasonal ad with the three ornaments ( a snowman, a fox, and an elf) singing about different questions the season brings up in them ( "Why's December always dark?" "What's in those presents anyhow?" "Wonder if it's wonder in my heart?"). It's also a favorite of mine. Still this seems like the one from earlier in the year Oreo had in conjunction with Wal-Mart(?). 

The Virginia Lottery has an annoying holiday commercial.  There's a hipster guy in glasses and skinny jeans complaining that it doesn't feel like a holiday party.  They add Christmas sweaters, scarves, etc. and the hipster isn't happy.  He's finally in a holiday mood when someone hands him a few scratch off lottery tickets.  

• Love 1

so TJ Maxx is running a holiday commercial to tell us not to buy anything? Yeah right. They said sales are evil and not the meaning behind Christmas. This commercial annoys the crap out of me.

this one here its BULL SHIT

Edited by operalover

so TJ Maxx is running a holiday commercial to tell us not to buy anything? Yeah right. They said sales are evil and not the meaning behind Christmas. This commercial annoys the crap out of me.

this one here its BULL SHIT

I'd like the concept of the ad if it wasn't trying to convince us to shop at TJ MAXX instead of some other store.

• Love 3

The Amazon commercial featuring the special door for the pygmy horse will have my heart forever and ever.

The Pygmy horse has weird feet. What's wrong with the classic pony?

My new favorite holiday commercial is the author who asserts that the best gift for everyone is a copy of his book.

My other favorite is the dog on the pogo stick.

The Lexuses(Lexi?)with the big-ass bows are back. Le sigh.

Not that I went looking for it, but I ended up clicking on a link to a story about Real Housewives star Teresa Giudice being released from prison this morning after serving 11 months on tax fraud charges, and it made me think of this thread:

The reality-TV star was released from the Federal Correctional Institution in Danbury, Connecticut, at 5:01 a.m. today and headed home to Montville, New Jersey, a statement from her lawyer confirmed to ABC News. She was seen arriving home in a black SUV, driven by her lawyer.

A Lexus wrapped in a red bow was waiting on the driveway.

Apparently, those commercials work for some people.  Her husband heads to the Big House in a few months, also on tax fraud charges, I wonder if he'll have a similar greeting when he gets out.

• Love 1