Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

Thanks, Lola. I'd actually heard about the real call, but hadn't seen this yet.

The 911 was really on the ball to pick up on this, what with all the people calling in to report they got the wrong order at mickey D's and such nonsense.

• Love 2

I hope the tape of that call gets played in training sessions for 911 operators, because I think he handled it wonderfully -- they probably get FAR more crank calls than they do distress calls disguised as food orders, but he doesn't automatically write her off.  He repeats that she has called 911 a couple of times and asks if she has an emergency or not.  When she says yes, he immediately knows the score and asks the relevant questions. 

And all credit to her, too, because that was brilliant.  Getting the address out there right away, asking how long it will be ... giving everything they need without ever saying something suspicious, and getting off quickly.

• Love 4

I hope the tape of that call gets played in training sessions for 911 operators, because I think he handled it wonderfully -- they probably get FAR more crank calls than they do distress calls disguised as food orders, but he doesn't automatically write her off.  He repeats that she has called 911 a couple of times and asks if she has an emergency or not.  When she says yes, he immediately knows the score and asks the relevant questions. 

And all credit to her, too, because that was brilliant.  Getting the address out there right away, asking how long it will be ... giving everything they need without ever saying something suspicious, and getting off quickly.

We had a very tragic case here last year. A woman called 911 and told them her husband was acting crazy, had a gun and there were children in the house. The 911 operator screwed around for 12 fucking minutes before dispatching the cops. Oh, and she got to hear the husband shoot his wife to death.

I'll be glad when the ad for the "big hunk of love" bear or whatever it's called is gone.  I would NOT be happy if my hubby spent $100 for a damn four foot tall teddy bear (and it isn't even a particularly cute bear - they couldn't even be bothered to put a red bow on it or anything)!  And the undertone of "just buy the little woman this ugly ass bear and you are guaranteed to get laid."  Just. Go. Away.

• Love 3

I saw the Cadbury Easter bunny tryouts commercial yesterday.  Yay!  It's almost spring!

We haven't even passed Valentine's Day yet! TOO SOON.

That being said, I never get tired of the lion with bunny ears.

• Love 1

There are SO many back to school ads out now, it's a little early, huh?

But the one that bugs me is for Famous Footwear, where they're playing "Auld Lang Syne", with kids going back to school and seeing all of their school friends again.  I don't now who the woman is who sings it, but she sings, "And days of Auld Lang Syne".  It's "IN" days of Auld Lang Syne.  smdh.

• Love 3

But the one that bugs me is for Famous Footwear, where they're playing "Auld Lang Syne", with kids going back to school and seeing all of their school friends again.  I don't now who the woman is who sings it, but she sings, "And days of Auld Lang Syne".  It's "IN" days of Auld Lang Syne.  smdh.

Really?  I've only ever heard it sung (and sung it myself) as "AND days of Auld Lang Syne."

• Love 2

Around here,they have so many days off for stupidity, and they have to have as many days as possible to cram for the state mandated test.

Just laughing at the notion of the AM newscasters announcing another stupidity day. Otherwise, sounds like my neck of the woods. :P

• Love 3

I saw the first back to school ad on July 5 and thought that was pushing it until I heard the kids in the next town go back on Aug 4.

• Love 1

Around here,they have so many days off for stupidity, and they have to have as many days as possible to cram for the state mandated test.

Since moving to Charlotte from New York a few years ago, I've been amazed at the number of "weather" days the schools take down here.  It's gotten to be a running joke with the lady in the next cube (who has a couple of kids in school) that "hey, it looks like it's going to be cloudy tomorrow, did they cancel classes yet?"

• Love 3

Speaking of back to school commercials, do they still play the Staples' "Most Wonderful Time of the Year" commercial? That one used to always be my mom's favorite when I was a kid.

Hmm -- I can't imagine why that would have been!  LOL

• Love 3

I have already seen pumpkin beer advertised in stores and had some clerk trying to foist some pumpkin doughnuts off on me ("I'll have a chocolate doughnut"  "We just got the pumpkin ones in.  Would you like to try a pumpkin one?  You like pumpkin, don't you?  Why don't you like pumpkin.  Everyone likes pumpkin in the fall"  "It's 90 degrees and humid, bitch.  Give me my damn chocolate doughnut").  It's not even September!  I can't take 3 months of ads for pumpkin beer, bread, creamer, doughnuts, candy, cereal, pasta, frozen dinners, sushi and whatever else they dream up to drop it in.  Dear food manufacturers:  back away from the pumpkin.  Leave it for the Thanksgiving table, where it belongs.

Edited by Maverick
  • Love 9

I have already seen pumpkin beer advertised in stores and had some clerk trying to foist some pumpkin doughnuts off on me

I went to a pumpkin beer tasting last fall, and concluded that for most brands it's just a gimmick. There were a couple of tasty brews but I wasn't enough of a fan to shell out what they were asking.

• Love 1

Twice today I've seen the Kmart ad encouraging Christmas layaway shopping (I was hoping the 1st one was just a hallucination...nope). Ok. Many people like to get this out of the way early but c'mon! We haven't even officially had Labor Day yet.

• Love 2

Get out of the way, Halloween, Walmart is ready for Christmas.  Thanksgiving?  What's that?  Rick Kitchen  Nov 2 2014

https://youtu.be/fFwTM9wqJig

Up here in Canada we have Thanksgiving mid-October, use up the decorative pumpkins by carving them into jack o'lanterns at the end of the month and then basically slide on into Christmas.  OK, we have Remembrance Day on November 11 but we only have to wear red poppies for that. No house decorating required. Wreaths at the cenotaph and flowers to the cemeteries.

I have no idea how Americans manage to have two big family events a month apart.  We've allowed enough time to use up all the turkey remnants and binge on Hallowe'en candy. We're raring to go with another round of roasted bird and Nanaimo bar.

What I do miss are "Give like Santa. Save like Scrooge" ads from Canadian  (aka Crappy) Tire. Well, we always have the sentimental ones from Timmy's.

Twice today I've seen the Kmart ad encouraging Christmas layaway shopping (I was hoping the 1st one was just a hallucination...nope). Ok. Many people like to get this out of the way early but c'mon! We haven't even officially had Labor Day yet.

But the point of layaway plans is to start early paying off purchases, so they have to make people aware of them now.  K-mart has two layaway plans, 8 and 12 weeks long.  If you are going to use the 12 week plan, and want your merchandise for Christmas, you would need to set it up by the end of this month, so this is prime time for advertising it.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 5

But the point of layaway plans is to start early paying off purchases, so they have to make people aware of them now.  K-mart has two layaway plans, 8 and 12 weeks long.  If you are going to use the 12 week plan, and want your merchandise for Christmas, you would need to set it up by the end of this month, so this is prime time for advertising it.

That, I have no problem with. It's the Christmas music that drives me nuts.

• Love 2

Back in the 70s, I read an article in the local paper complaining about a shop in the mall *already* having Xmas stuff out in September.  The article pissed me off because I had just been in that very store - it was a craft store, selling Xmas needlework projects.  If you wanna get it done in time for Xmas, you'd better start it now, especially if it's a surprise that has to be done in secret.

Some things just need to be advertised earlier than most.

• Love 7