Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: The Long Honeymoon

maraleia

When Alex returns from a humanitarian trip, the family dynamic shifts; Cameron remains in a lovey-dovey mood even after the honeymoon ends; Gloria gives Jay a taste of his own medicine after noticing the lack of effort he puts into his appearance.

This was a mess! Why are the writers actively campaigning to make me hate these people?

Alex already feels like the odd Dunphy out. So let's make her feel even worse by suggesting that her mere presence throws off the family mojo.

Even when she tries to look like crap and takes a chapter from Robert Smith's "How To Apply Lipstick," Gloria is gorgeous.

Lily was funny, though.

• Love 2

This was a mess! Why are the writers actively campaigning to make me hate these people?

Alex already feels like the odd Dunphy out. So let's make her feel even worse by suggesting that her mere presence throws off the family mojo.

Even when she tries to look like crap and takes a chapter from Robert Smith's "How To Apply Lipstick," Gloria is gorgeous.

Lily was funny, though.

She looked like she was channeling Anna Nicole, in the infamous "clown" video.

• Love 1

That was horrendously unfunny. I can't decide if Jesse Tyler Ferguson just doesn't like Eric Stonestreet or if he doesn't like the offensively over the top gay stereotype he plays, because Jesse looks like he wants to let the earth swallow him whenever they have a scene together. Now that all of the humor has been eliminated from the character of Cam, all that's left is grotesque and unpleasant to watch.

Julie Bowen's hair looked good, though.

• Love 2
That was horrendously unfunny. I can't decide if Jesse Tyler Ferguson just doesn't like Eric Stonestreet or if he doesn't like the offensively over the top gay stereotype he plays, because Jesse looks like he wants to let the earth swallow him whenever they have a scene together.

Ha, maybe he's taking a page out of Chris Colfer's book, who often looks downright repulsed and annoyed in any scene he has to share with Darren Criss. Putting aside once again Cameron's being incredibly and annoyingly over the top about something and the incredibly ridiculous forced scene of coming to Mitchell's work event and being over the top there too, this storyline made even less sense considering the show already did an episode some seasons ago establishing that Mitchell hates and is awkward with PDA.

So in what world would Cameron think Mitchell would be enjoying any of that. Which interestingly is why I did find it kind of funny when Claire said he was "just being Mitchell" when Phil asked what was wrong. Because well yes...all these years together and Cam doesn't know and accept this about Mitchell?

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

Yes, not fun at all, except for the candid video shots.  And the plums. 

The placement of the camera in the opening kitchen table scenes was very different -- I actually thought it was going to turn into a fantasy sequence.  And the opening credits also have new angles.  By the way, baby Joe is still ten months old? 

It is like the writers have never seen this show before.  Aside from the plums and the candid video clips at the end, my only laugh was seeing Gloria in the sweats and crazy lipstick.  Not because it was particularly funny in the show, but that candid shots of Sofia Vergara dressed like that have been circulating the internet as "what stars look like without their makeup".

• Love 1

Cam was just completely awful and lets not get into Alex coming back. I mean, come on if Luke had been getting into cooking that much, he would have known about how to really cook rhubarb because they were all talking about how well he had been cooking. Also, Halley shut her computer off at times, the camera would have had a window pop up saying: "Close camera down." It was a Mac! Now, her getting hacked each time, that would have worked. Wow! What happened to this show?

• Love 1

Aside from the Cam story, I didn't think it was horrible, and I'm not a big defender of the show. Last season wasn't all that good except for the Las Vegas show.

Maybe the highlight of this ep was Gloria in her grubby outfit and messy lipstick. Loved that AND her fanny pack. 

I also loved when Manny opened the fridge, and we immediately hear from the iPad, "MANNY!!!"

I thought seeing the Dunphys so happy and getting along so well was really funny. Realism aside, I also enjoyed how Alex brought a dark cloud upon the house. Yes, IRL that would be mean, but in a sitcom I found it funny, esp how things changed immediately when she walked in or out. Yes, she takes away their fun times, but she also brings common sense and responsibility into the household. 

I loved the little flashback to Phil wearing the giant Valentine's heart that said Be Mine, but saying to Claire, "Clearly you thought this said Be Mean."

However, everything with Cam was cringeworthy. That was really hard to watch, esp when he came to Mitchell's work. 

• Love 6

Man oh man, do I loathe Cameron.

For the past few years I've thought he's just the worst.   I mean, there's "high maintenance"  - then there's being whatever level Cam is.

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 2

I can't recall all of it right now, but I laugh!ed at Phil's line to Alex about "Without you we're irresponsible poison-eating fools and Internet prostitutes!" and I liked Lily's snarking about "It'd be nice to live in a house that's not full of bees."

I knew the "Stars without makeup" photos of Sophia Vergara were actually production shots of Gloria. (Come on, Internet!)

I do wish the writers would move on from Cam's need to be a tragic figure at all times and in all circumstances.

• Love 2

Cam used to be loveable and funny, waaaaaaay back in season one, good gawd, writers, why? Is there a Hollywood writers' seminar that teaches "whatever trait is amusing in season one must be ramped up 100% each season until it becomes unbearable by season six"?

Not normally a fan of Gloria, but hers was the only storyline I liked because it was realistic - one spouse letting himself go because it's too much trouble, and the nonsense when guys say they don't care about all the glamour their partners put on (until it disappears, then okay).

Nolan Gould is, shall we say, awkward looking. Hopefully he outgrows that gangly, dorky puberty stage quickly.

The Dunphys were just cruel, Alex should have let them eat the rhubarb leaves.

Ugh, bad episode.

• Love 2

I'm so over the Alex as the black sheep of her family storylines.  I thought we made some progress there with the the one episode last season where Alex started seeing a therapist and Claire has a moment of genuine understanding of Alex's feelings.  Maybe your daughter feels like an outcast in her own family beacuse you go out of your way to make her feel like an outcast in her own family.  I get Alex isn't all warm and snuggly much of the time, but I also think it's very much a defense mechanism.   If the point of the show is to make me think Phil and Claire can't stand their own daughter, they are doing a good job.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 7

This episode reinforced my dislike for Alex.  I really cannot stand that girl and she is the black cloud over the family.  I loved the "getting along, perfect summer, not a bad plum" Dunphys and felt bad when Alex came back.  Mitchell is wearing me out but I still love Cam for all his over-the-topness.  "Don't pull that string."  And I think Sophia/Gloria looked more beautiful without all the make-up!

• Love 1

I only liked the end of the Cam/Mitchell story with all the crazy hidden things he had around the house. I hated the work scene. That was so inappropriate and awful. I felt bad for Mitchell.

The Dunphys perfect summer was funny, and I liked the Gloria-Manny relatives gag too.

Maybe I'm just easily amused, or don't take this show too seriously, but I didn't think it was awful.

• Love 5

Not a very good start to the season IMO.  If the Dunphys were a real family, anyone could see they clearly favor Haley.  Luke is just annoying and always has been to me anyway, especially when he calls his sister kitten. Did like his line to Haley about how she should move out because she's like 40.  The Cam over the top stuff was awful.  Please bring Cam back to the guy we saw when the show was new.  The dancing scene at the office was even uncomfortable to watch.  Jay, Gloria and Manny stuff eh just ok.  Lilly was funny especially the "bees in the house" and "is fairy time over" lines. 

• Love 1

Why is there a 25-year-old man wandering around the Dunphy house? Oh, wait, that's Luke. Growth spurts continue to scare me.

Yeah, the comical "Alex gone = happy times / Alex back = bad plums and bats" thing was cute the first couple of times but it got old, and how many times is Alex going to be the Meg Griffin of the family?

Cam was way over the top with his keep-the-romance-alive thing. Any sane person would get annoyed by all of that just in their own private home, but in public also? Stop it!

I liked Jay's giant old-man glasses.

Other than that, yeah, I got nothing. Now, when ABC makes a point of saying this show is the five-time Emmy winner, I feel like they're trying to convince people that, yes, this show is supposed to be funny. But it hasn't been for at least two or three years and if this premiere is any indication this season doesn't seem to be turning it around.

• Love 1

It's funny because S1 of the show I always used to wonder how Cam could put up with Mitchell and his uptight, perpetually snarky self but since S2 of the show I swear I always think Mitchell has the patience of a saint to deal with Cameron. One of my favorite Mitchell moments is when Cam was directing the school play and of course went way over the top and Mitchell determined to be supportive, eventually had to go outside and start screaming to himself all the things he was thinking that he didn't want to say to Cam. Because goodness knows Cam and his delicate feelings. 

• Love 1

Yeah, they were really upping the bitch factor with her this episode.  I hope this is temporary and they don't veer her off into Meg Griffin territory.

• Love 3

I liked Jay's giant old-man glasses.

I haven't seen Up, but it made me think of Letterman's "old guys and giant glasses" bit from years ago.

I can't recall all of it right now, but I laugh!ed at Phil's line to Alex about "Without you we're irresponsible poison-eating fools and Internet prostitutes!"

Yes, the ..."We're a danger to ourselves. We're a family of firestarters, poison-eaters and online prostitutes!" was hysterical, and I enjoyed the Arrested-Development inspired (taken?) "Taste it. Taste our love." too, oh, and all of the plum "oh my god (sluuuurrrps)." 

• Love 2

Yes, Cam is just obnoxious anymore. He is an insufferable insecure child most of the time.

All three stories were just over the top, really. Its like Cam was writing them all. No subtlety, very much into cliched sitcom land.

Had its moments, but not great

Thinking about Cam showing up at Mitchell's work event, Mitchell should have pulled Cam aside and said, "cam, I appreciate the gesture, but this is not a spouse event; maybe you didn't notice that no one else had their spouse there. It's inappropriate and we'll discuss this more at home." Or something. I mean, aren't they a couple? Don't they talk about things like adults? If Cam was allowed to barrel in unchecked and behave in appropriately, it's because Mitchell has never told him to stop.

Yes, I know that makes Cam sound like a child and Mitchell the parent, but well...

• Love 2

Could someone explain why Lily's bee joke is funny?

Jay reminded me of the guy who used to appear in those commercials for Great Adventure. Or Junior Soprano.

Loved Luke's, "Aren't you, like, 40?"

I saw Jesse Tyler Ferguson in NY. He is kind of always that way: put-upon, irritated by the world.

Thinking about Cam showing up at Mitchell's work event, Mitchell should have pulled Cam aside and said, "cam, I appreciate the gesture, but this is not a spouse event; maybe you didn't notice that no one else had their spouse there. It's inappropriate and we'll discuss this more at home." Or something. I mean, aren't they a couple? Don't they talk about things like adults? If Cam was allowed to barrel in unchecked and behave in appropriately, it's because Mitchell has never told him to stop.

I admit I haven't re-watched the episode but I could swear Mitchell did say something to the effect that it was just a work thing when he was at home and Cameron suggested coming. And yeah he could have been firmer when Cameron first showed up but well you saw the reaction when he did, which is exactly what he was trying to avoid. Which again is why the writers have made Cameron just beyond insufferable. Mitchell is always having to dance around issues rather than just speak to Cam as an adult because the latter responds to anything he doesn't like, like a massive man-child. 

Now here's the thing, I get that it's a comedy and comedies tend to exaggerate situations, personalities for the laughs. And I never like nitpicking when it comes to shows because I find that kind of annoying. So I get that I shouldn't apply "real life" logic to these situations. It's just that yes, it's supposed to be exaggerated to be funny but the thing is when something is done over and over and over again, it's no longer funny really and just repetitive. And I feel like that's where I'm at with Cameron's character at this point. I don't find his antics cute or funny but just repetitive and incredibly annoying;

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

This show is rapidly jumping the shark. Time to make this season their last. Even Lily got on my nerves. She's a bad little actress. It's like they threw her some lines to memorize just to remind us that she is still around. Claire is manic, Phil is a moron, and their kids have turned into  smart mouthed brats. 

Could someone explain why Lily's bee joke is funny?

It's because Cam was getting Mitchell flowers everyday - all the flowers were attracting bees.

I have to say, I did get a good guffaw at Haley singing "Caribbean Queen" and then somehow having something fly towards her head.  

• Love 2

I was disappointed.I wanted to reach through the screen and slap Cam for being so unbelievably needy and embarrassing. I thought the Dunphy story line was ridiculous given that I'm pretty sure Claire was an uptight nag long before Alex came along. There's no way any home that Claire lives in would be all sunshine and roses. Gloria and Jay's storyline wasn't as bad. I laughed at the iPad chats and when Gloria changed from frumpy to glamorous in a few seconds.

Well, dammit. I'm a pushover and an easy laugher, but I didn't  laugh once. Lily with the bees comment and the fairies got a chuckle out of me. I love this show and do not want to see it go down the tubes. ("Which tubes? Where are these tubes?") [/George Carlin] I was glad it was back and not in reruns, so there's that. But yikes to making Alex the bad omen. Jesus.

I wanted to reach through the screen and slap Cam for being so unbelievably needy and embarrassing.

Never been a Cam fan, but he was beyond awful in this episode. His neediness was painful to watch and I can't believe Mitchell put up with it so long-should have shoved him out of the office party.

And I am with the posters who did not laugh even once during the whole show, altho the good plum comments were at least clever and observant.

• Love 1

I've always liked Alex's character a lot but the writers haven't known what to do with her for a very long time. Hint: It's not making her the bad luck charm. Something about that storyline just felt mildly offensive - what parents urge their daughter to leave the house for no good reason? Ugh. I did like the way Luke and Haley were interacting. It would be believable that those two had a closer relationship. Also, must EVERYTHING that Haley does be about sex? We get it, she has boobs. Enough already. 

Edited by lovedwallflower

Alex has progressively become angrier and unlikeable to me the last couple of seasons. They're writing her into a corner being the school-obsessed neurotic kid who wants to get into the Ivy League and has low social skills/interest in other people. It doesn't help that the actress isn't that good and can't do more than scream her lines or make pouty faces.

• Love 2

I, too, didn't like the office scene, but the show got a few chuckles out of me, which is par for a comedy. I didn't mind the bit about Alex. I don't have any strong feelings about the characters. I recognize that this one is very smart, that one likes to keep the PDA to a minimum, this one is dumb, etc., and accept some of the absurd twists that might arise based on the characters' quirks. Without some inconsistencies, I doubt that most comedies would last more than one season. They'd quickly run out of material.

It doesn't help that the actress isn't that good and can't do more than scream her lines or make pouty faces.

I'd have to disagree there. She was amazing in the episode where she has a breakdown and sees a therapist. She showed a lot of range and emotions.

• Love 9

It doesn't help that the actress isn't that good and can't do more than scream her lines or make pouty faces.

I'm with Bossca on this one-I think Ariel Winter is a good actress and not just in comparison to the other 2 Dunphy sires who make her look like Meryl Streep and, if possible, are getting worse. I thought she was great in the one referenced above as well as in the one where she kisses the boy and the one where Phil's mother dies. Puberty has not done her any favors, but I think her acting is good.

Actually, I think it's the writers and the wardrobe people who aren't doing Ariel Winter any favours. The kid can act, but she mostly gets snotty intellectual know-it-all bon mots to drop on the family.

And her outfits? I get that Alex isn't into fashion and that Ariel has a stocky, chesty build, but good gawd, but she doesn't have to look like a gab lady.