Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: The Line

I hope you are all correct about CarEy!  I doubt they will let Cary languish in jail for long -- just enough for a few more shirtless scenes.  And any Bishop retribution short of killing is fine by me.  "This is how we do it in the real world."  Heck, even Kalinda knows he means business and gives him no guff. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1

I am the Zach fan.  I would be so sad if we saw much less of him this season.  Zach and Will two of my favourite characters.  Sigh.

He looked tired and pale and frantic and the hopelessness he showed as Kalinda walked right past him without noticing him, was chilling.

Was that scene literal?  I kept thinking it was a dream sequence.  I couldn't possibly understand how Kalinda wouldn't a) hear her name b) be looking for him as she knows he's in prison c) see him.  That was so weird.  I guess that was the point.

Intern Girl was so beyond cray cray.  How the F can somebody get away with flashing someone in the office.  So gross.

• Love 4

I've always thought it was kind of strange.  I know people can work together and have the same name, especially names that are fairly common.  When Mrs RogerDodger was a teacher, she once had a classroom with 5 Michaels and 3 Christophers in it.

Yup. And Cary is no Christopher or Michael. It's a very old-fashioned (for men) name. Cary Grant, sure. But I can't remember ever seeing, meeting, or even hearing about guys in their twenties named Cary in the early 21st century.

But on a show, where you have the freedom to name characters anything you would like, why give two characters the same name if it is not going to be a plot point somewhere along the way.

Exactly. I was actually thinking about this recently, how rarely TV shows use the same name twice within the same show. In real life, everyone knows people who have the same name, but on TV it almost never happens. Obviously it's done for the sake of simplicity and clarity. And if names repeat, as you say, there is usually a reason as to why.

This show has some weird names in general, I've noticed. And if not weird then just unusual, not stuff you hear all that often: Florrick, Polmar, Agos, Cary/Carey for a young guy, and some others.

Edited by CleoCaesar
  • Love 2

They made a point of saying that because of the class of the felony, full payment of bail was required.  And no commercial bail bondsmen in Illinois, as they also stated!  How did they wait so many seasons to play that card?! 

• Love 2

What happened to discovery? How could Alicia, as Cary's attorney, not be given even the actual charge against him before appearing in front of the judge? THat does not seem correct. And Cary never did get his phone call? I don't think that is likely either because the cops would not want the charge thrown out on a technicality. I didn't hear them read him his rights either when they arrested him. I know Chicago PD is known to be somewhat corrupt, but I thought they went a little far with that. Having said that, the scenes with Cary in jail were the best part of the show, from a tension and acting perspective.  

I loathe David Lee and can't stand any scenes with him. Now we have his clone/groupie Canning too. Ugh. Diane cannot get away from those evil bastards fast enough, and I hope she bankrupts the firm in the process.

Oh Kalinda. Same old, same old. Although I did love the scene with her and Bishop.

I thought that you only needed to post 10% of the assigned bail in order to be released.

Is that rule the same everywhere or is it different in Illinois?

I heard Alicia say they had no bail bondsmen in Illinois, so I assume someone did their homework and that is true.

• Love 4

Shallow moment: I am a little exhausted of Kalinda's lady exploits being implied or referred to after the fact. I could have used a breather mid-episode of some Kalinda/Sophia action. What I do like, though, is how she is manipulated with sex almost as often as she manipulates with it. Quid pro quo and all.

I always think the phone-call-from-jail-getting-denied trope is overused when they could just make it simpler: they're not required to give you your cell phone to look up a number. I bet plenty of people in this day and age would be stumped to think of a single phone number that they've memorized. (I don't know if this is true everywhere -- maybe it's state by state, but it seems likely enough.)

So is Diane representing Cary pro bono on behalf of LG? I'm confused. (Because frankly LG rates would probably set everyone back about as much as that bail!)

In other news, I loved that episode and am so glad the show is back. If only it didn't have to start 96 minutes late on the east coast. What nonsense.

• Love 3

So far we haven't seen anyone identify Cary, Bishop didn't even remember him as anything more than "the kid" and we haven't heard the recording that Sophia had.

The only thing that makes me wonder about this is Kalinda and Sophia were in the jail, and I assumed that was after Sophia played the tape for her? You'd think she'd know Cary's voice, but maybe that's how it's resolved: Sophia played the tape, Kalinda realized it wasn't Cary's voice, brought up to Sophia there is a second Carey at F&A. Maybe they were at the jail to quiz the CI about what "cary" looked like. I'd hope that Fin, and Sophia aren't that dumb though even if I want Cary to be in the clear morally as well as legally.

That was just the 1st court appearance or advisory hearing. That's when bail is set and attorneys are appointed. I don't think it's uncommon for the attorney to not know the exact charge.

And so true about not having anyone's phone number because you don't have your cell phone.

Didn't like Lemond Bishop threatening Kalinda for talking to Silver teeth. Also having Cary cut and threatened in jail. But ofcourse he is protecting himself. Listening to the Kings Commentary on CBS.com is interesting too. Then he gets Dexter Rojas to help! The Kings were originally going to have Clarke Hayden be the one that helped with the bail money. But he was doing a Play and couldn't be on this episode. So they had to change the story line.

When Kalinda met up with Sofia Russo(Rollins-SVU), on the street, it looked like a scene out of Law&Order:SVU. I was looking for Fin or Amaro, lol. So she helped Kalinda not be arrested. Was it only because she would have been with Cary that she would have been arrested? I am not sure she would have gone looking for him. And if they really wanted Kalinda they could arrest her the next day? Surprised no one saw Cary's car sooner in the lot?

We see Finn Palmar is doing his job, but not being to nice to Alicia. So it seems like he isn't getting points with Alicia. So she treats it like business,after he doesn't want her to be upset. Liked both Judge Alan Karpman(The Crazy Ones) and Detective Gary Prima(Dino-Blue Bloods). Source of funds trial coming, because Castro is pissed.

Diane telling David Lee and Louis Canning about her retiring, I am surprised they almost believed it. Then seeing Alicia coming to her to handle Cary's case they figured it out. I am surprised they didn't meet somewhere else. No Howard Lyman tonight?

Alicia and Peter both don't want States Attorney. Eli had James Castro come to ask Peter to back him again. But they both tell the other that Eli said they each wanted it. I thought when we heard the arguing that the 2 set it up to catch Eli. But nope, Peter wants to get Alicia interested. Bonita Yarrow's poll showed Alicia could win.

Don't get the big story about Lauren and her missing panties. But it was funny how Melissa Gold went and asked her even when Eli and Nora were arguing about asking her. Then Lauren Lytton "flashes" Melissa. Then Eli tells peter about it, that was funny. Thought at first it was Marilyn Garbanza, but she wasn't on either. Or Clarke Hayden, Jackie, Grace or Zach.

Don't get the big story about Lauren and her missing panties.

The big story is that you have a governor who's previously gone through a sex scandal working in an office with a hot young intern who's known to not wear underwear.

• Love 2

Did we hear Sophia play the tape?

I just remember her showing Kalinda the recorder.

No we didn't see Sophia play the tape. We also didn't see Kalinda's horrible husband get shot. But it just seems odd to have Sophia *show* her the tape and then think Kalinda didn't demand to *hear* it, I assume we didn't see her hear it to keep us guessing about Cary's "guilt".

The police acted like total A-Hs, especially since he is not yet convicted of anything. It all seemed so egregious there MUST be some sort of violation of his rights involved. I hope he gets the names and numbers of the biggest jerks and sues the hell out of them. Even if it's a weak case he could work the system (courts and otherwise) so they are tied up for many hours and have to do a lot of worrying, and just generally eff em over any way he can think of. That would be one positive development to come from this storyline, otherwise it's a letdown to many viewers (or some viewers, anyway, who like to see jerks punished and not get off scot free). But given his overall lack of anger, it may be that a satisfying thing like that never happens.

The big story is that you have a governor who's previously gone through a sex scandal working in an office with a hot young intern who's known to not wear underwear.

Yeah, I don't like that. I haven't been sure what the show is trying to accomplish with Peter. I got a little insight from the Kings commentary of this ep. (They like the recurring theme of people being guilty until proven innocent.) But so much of the stuff around Peter just seems so wrong-headed. Yes, he cheated in the past but we've also see that since then he's fallen back in love with Alicia so this constant "Peter's cheating" suspicion bothers me mainly because it always seems to come from Eli. First it was his ridiculous idea that Peter was the father of Marilyn's baby and now it's Commando Intern. If Eli really thinks that Peter is just a scandal waiting to go off, he should get himself another job.

The police acted like total A-Hs, especially since he is not yet convicted of anything. It all seemed so egregious there MUST be some sort of violation of his rights involved. I hope he gets the names and numbers of the biggest jerks and sues the hell out of them. Even if it's a weak case he could work the system (courts and otherwise) so they are tied up for many hours and have to do a lot of worrying, and just generally eff em over any way he can think of. That would be one positive development to come from this storyline, otherwise it's a letdown to many viewers (or some viewers, anyway, who like to see jerks punished and not get off scot free). But given his overall lack of anger, it may be that a satisfying thing like that never happens.

Through all of those scenes I just kept thinking, "Wow, they're really treating Cary like a black man." Then when we learned Lemond Bishop was the target, it all made sense. They were treating Cary the same way they would treat Bishop.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 3

And you can see that Cary is in no position to collect names and badge numbers -- not even to lift his head in line!  It was quite chilling that the "friend" he thought he was making on Kalinda's suggestion was the henchman of Bishop, who clearly has access to the inmate population at the intake level, not just convicted felons.  Does Bishop send someone into custody each day just to have someone in there?  Brrrrr.

• Love 3

He can find out the names. There are processes for that, at least for the arresting officers and the officer at the station when his arm was chained high to the wall for, what? 5 hours? (something like that)..

Edited by Democritus
  • Love 1

I can't figure out if I'll be more annoyed with Alicia if:  (a) she was dumb enough to deposit $1.3 million in cash somewhere to get a cashier's check to pay the bail or (b) was unethical enough to somehow try to create a paper trail that will survive a "sources and uses" investigation.

I love this show, it's great fun and great drama, but sometimes the stupid they ask us to accept these folks do is staggering. There is no way on god's green earth that she, a good lawyer, would have accepted bundles of cash to pay his bail.  Honestly......

Hoping for a reveal that they didn't take the cash because of the stupid and raised it legitimately.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 7

o this constant "Peter's cheating" suspicion bothers me mainly because it always seems to come from Eli.

That's the thing about a cheater.   You may take him back, but you always wonder if you can trust him again.   It's not really the sex, it's the loss of trust that destroys the relationship.   Here, it's not his marriage but his relationship with Eli that was seriously affected by Peter's cheating.  Eli wonders if he really can trusted, even while beliving he is the best candidate for the job.   

We have not seen Alisha's trust issues so much.   After all, she won't talk to Kalinda again, even though they became friends after Kalinda's one night stand with Peter, but she is totally back with Peter.   Sure she throws it in his face every so often, but she likes the power too much.   As long as she has power as the governor's wife and it doesn't make headlines again, I doubt she much cares who Peter is banging.   But oh the women he is banging --- horrrible horrible people that must be destroyed.   Because they bring her nothing.

• Love 4

The question of separate custody (not incarcerated in the general population) was raised at one point, but then dropped.  If nothing else, I would expect Alicia to be making a vigorous argument for segregating Cary from the general jailed population.  This was exactly the issue with the young man whose trial led to Peter's death. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 5

I really detest prison/jail story lines/scenes - such a bore.

Too fast - I really miss the slower pace and the more complex - and, crazy - legal situations/cases.  That was interesting.  

Rats.

I haven't been particularly happy since Alicia and Cary left L/G.  I liked it when they had cases.  I cringe a little every time the do press on how last season created a resurgence and they are going to do of what worked last season because very little of last season worked for me.

• Love 2

The question of separate custody (not incarcerated in the general population) was raised at one point, but then dropped.  If nothing else, I would expect Alicia to be making a vigorous argument for segregating Cary from the general jailed population.  This was exactly the issue with the young man whose trial led to Peter's death. 

Except, part of Bishop's demands is that Cary be cool with being in gen pop. That was the whole point of the test. If Cary had turned around after that guy cut his hand open and asked Alicia to move him into isolation, Bishop would not have delivered on the bail. Cary wants to live and that means going along with Bishop. Bishop wants Cary where he can keep an eye on him because it would be much easier to turn in isolation than with someone watching him. I feel very confident that if Cary ever does get out on bail, he'll find he has a second shadow on the outside too.

Yeah, I don't like that. I haven't been sure what the show is trying to accomplish with Peter. I got a little insight from the Kings commentary of this ep. (They like the recurring theme of people being guilty until proven innocent.) But so much of the stuff around Peter just seems so wrong-headed. Yes, he cheated in the past but we've also see that since then he's fallen back in love with Alicia so this constant "Peter's cheating" suspicion bothers me mainly because it always seems to come from Eli. First it was his ridiculous idea that Peter was the father of Marilyn's baby and now it's Commando Intern. If Eli really thinks that Peter is just a scandal waiting to go off, he should get himself another job.

Maybe I'm not remembering because the end of last season was so jam packed, but why isn't Eli allowed to fire the panty-less intern? She exposed herself to the entire office. Peter wants to keep her around despite the fact that did something so outrageous. To hear about what she did and not give Eli permission to fire her is crazy and I don't know what else Eli is supposed to suspect except sex as the reason. Even if Peter had always been faithful to Alicia, his behaviour regarding the intern is so out of sync with how a politician would behave that I'd assume affair as the best explanation.

The one think I love about this show is how, after five seasons, the world building is so rich and can be paid off so well. The casual mention of Jackie eavesdropping or Mr. Rojas showing up with over a million dollars in cash are delightful additions to the show and they work because the world of this show is well-populated and the Kings like detail.

• Love 3

Yup. And Cary is no Christopher or Michael. It's a very old-fashioned (for men) name. Cary Grant, sure. But I can't remember ever seeing, meeting, or even hearing about guys in their twenties named Cary in the early 21st century.

The little boy in Close Encounters of the Third Kind was played by Cary Guffey I believe. And of course there's Cary Elwes, a pretty solid character actor (or I thought of him that way, since he completely became a different character in every movie I saw him in, almost unrecognizable to me as well). He was Westley in The Princess Bride, played unpleasant characters in Twister and Kiss the Girls, The Jungle Book etc. I've also met one co-worker by that name. I really like the name myself, but I imagine most men are called Gary since they seem so similar.

Chekhov's Cary/Carey!  Love this theory.  Make it so!  

Alan Cumming.  Lordy.  Robert King, who directed, knew exactly what to do: point the camera directly at Alan and let his face do all the work.  Look at that first scene carried over from last season.  Or the more broadly comic one when he and his daughter are listening to the fight between Peter and Castro.  I've gone from hating him ("Circle of Friends") to being skeeved out ("Cabaret" -- he's brilliant, but...) to thinking of him as the best part of this show.

I didn't watch Gilmore Girls (:::ducks:::) so I wasn't familiar with Matt C and when the show premiered, I thought, "Who's this baby-faced actor who's meant to be an equal to these more mature, well-known folks?"  And it took a while, certainly past S1.  But wow -- I am a convert and am thrilled to see some focus on his character this season. 

Alicia as State's Attorney seems unlikely in a RL sense, but oh, how it would play into the title/theme of the show.  I've always wondered how they could keep that aspect of the show going.  This would do it.

ETA: As an older member of the PTV forums -- someone who grew up when thongs were only worn by strippers -- can I just ask how realistic it is (TMI alert) to go to work without panties and sit down anywhere without leaving a spot somewhere (like on one's dress)?  Admittedly I'm now in the age bracket where I shouldn't even be laughing too hard without protection, so perhaps I just can't remember being that pristine, but...it seems unlikely, nevertheless.  God, I feel old.

Edited by mrsdalgliesh
  • Love 7

You are right, vibeology -- it was necessary for Cary to be in the general population, but ugh. 

I actually thought Commando Intern (brilliant name!) was wearing a thong in the episode (as opposed to real life, where I'm sure she was wearing one) -- but according to later dialogue, no indeed, no thong when she did the full monty in the office.  So yes, mrsdagliesh, I also wonder about the sanitary aspects of her choice in an office!  Sit on wicker chairs?  If you had watched Gilmore Girls, you would know that even lovely Lorelai went commando sometimes (laundry day), and too many people knew it!

Edited by jjj
But it was funny how Melissa Gold went and asked her even when Eli and Nora were arguing about asking her. Then Lauren Lytton "flashes" Melissa.

Her name's Marissa Gold.

I didn't know that either, I had to look it up -- but one thing I did know -- Melissa Gold is Ari's wife on Entourage :)

• Love 1
State's attorney?  Taking her husband's old job.  She'll always be in his shadow, eh?  Blech.

Agreed. How about another drive by politicking from Donna Brazile?

Eli: Alicia Florrick tests very high in key demographics, i'm trying to get her to run for Peter's old job.

Donna: That would be a waste, she should run for Representative.

Eli (raises finger in the air, finds himself speechless)

[change scene. Alicia and Kalinda at lunch.)

Kalinda (eyes widening): I feel a disturbance in the Force-- and i like it!

Right?! No show purposely gives two characters such similar names unless it's going to figure in to the plot. (I'm looking at you, Orphan Black). 

And I forgot about the part with the prisoner misremembering his name. If this was CarEy, he's got to end up either fired (by the firm) or dead (at the hands of Bishop) and I'm fine with either.

I'd kind of like to see Bishop dead at the hands of Sophia.

Sophia: I saw a black man, he looked dangerous. So i shot him a dozen times. (shrugs) I'm a cop, it's what we do.

Thus the show once again gets to be topical while getting rid of a really inconvenient character. In fact, FA(L) could make a lot of money negotiating plea deals for Bishop's underlings as the cops and DEA roll up his organization.

• Love 4

Well, hey there, Cosmo! {waving crazily!}

How come I didn't know that you liked and watched this show?

Me no likey his Silver hair, cuz Noth/Peter ain't that old. Bah. But I suppose he must for the "role" or something or other.

Hi GHScorpiosRule!   I've never posted in this forum before - here or TWoP, but been watching since the beginning.  I guess I have a soft spot for Noth/Peter because I was a big SATC fan (thus my ancient screename, lol) 

Pantieless girl is going to be the death of Eli (who was not only sporting his Cabaret hair color, but leftover eyeliner). Let's spin off the daughter and America Ferrera with Eli cameos and i'd watch it daily.

Thank you betsyboo, I could have sworn he was wearing old eyeliner and/or mascara but didn't know about his Cabaret gig.  Haha, that makes perfect sense.  

The police acted like total A-Hs, especially since he is not yet convicted of anything. It all seemed so egregious there MUST be some sort of violation of his rights involved.

I'm not disagreeing and it was startling to watch but according the showrunner commentary on the link marceline provided (thanks marceline, that was really cool!) they did some research and talked to several real police and apparently this was pretty representative.  They also said in actuality the police have 48 hours before let you make a phone call. 

• Love 3
Glad I never liked Fin b/c I actively loathe him now

You know, I do like Finn and I thought Peter was a total ass to him last season but he annoyed the crap out of me with his superciliousness and his snipe at Alicia over his sister. She clearly had nothing to do with that.

I like the theory they've arrested the wrong Cary because I don't believe for a moment that Finn would stitch up an innocent man even to get a big fish like Bishop. Now, if it was Matan...

• Love 1

Is Sophia a cop - I thought she ran an investigation (or PR????) agency - and when we first met her, Kalinda was looking for a job with her to escape L/G and the newly enlightened Alicia. Then Kalinda couldn't take the job because it had just taken on a contract with the State's Attny (Peter). ????????????

Except, part of Bishop's demands is that Cary be cool with being in gen pop. That was the whole point of the test. If Cary had turned around after that guy cut his hand open and asked Alicia to move him into isolation, Bishop would not have delivered on the bail. Cary wants to live and that means going along with Bishop. Bishop wants Cary where he can keep an eye on him because it would be much easier to turn in isolation than with someone watching him. I feel very confident that if Cary ever does get out on bail, he'll find he has a second shadow on the outside too.

And at this point even with the hand cutting, Cary probably knows it is in his best interest to stay where he is. I mean if he stays and is loyal then who better to protect him than Bishop? If he movies, even if he doesn't mention why it puts a question mark over his head and it's not like Bishops guys couldn't get to him even if he was in protective custody.

Speaking of which, with all the crazy changes this show likes, I really thought that Cary was going to lose a finger and they were going to do some kind of Al Swearengen thing where for the rest of the series he was missing one finger.

Now the thing with the money source seems like it probably won't go anywhere. I mean Bishop is not an idiot and the reason that Rojas owns laundromats and places like that is for the purpose of money laundering. If they could prove that the money wasn't clean they would have already arrested Bishop or Rojas for money laundering.

And when they mentioned that Alicia couldn't represent Cary, I was really hoping that Elsbeth would show up. 

• Love 3

What happened to discovery? How could Alicia, as Cary's attorney, not be given even the actual charge against him before appearing in front of the judge? THat does not seem correct. And Cary never did get his phone call? I don't think that is likely either because the cops would not want the charge thrown out on a technicality. I didn't hear them read him his rights either when they arrested him. I know Chicago PD is known to be somewhat corrupt, but I thought they went a little far with that. Having said that, the scenes with Cary in jail were the best part of the show, from a tension and acting perspective. 

I loathe David Lee and can't stand any scenes with him. Now we have his clone/groupie Canning too. Ugh. Diane cannot get away from those evil bastards fast enough, and I hope she bankrupts the firm in the process.

Oh Kalinda. Same old, same old. Although I did love the scene with her and Bishop.

There are so many rights violations, I don't know if the writers just messed up or if they want to make a point about how the police works. They can just not have the paper trail, the reports and all the names of the officers involved (Ferguson!)

I also think that being a "rich kid" - even if the parents don't want to pay or get involved, which is bogus because they would care about their names being dragged into this mess - Cary would be seen as "special". The judge and the rest of the justice system don't know about Bishops threats. The police might be treating Cary as a black man a surrogate for Bishop but, unless Fin is involved in the strategy to pressure Cary, it does not mean the judge would be in it, and Cary would get special treatment.

I do think this is all to have Kalinda involved in the investigation and, of course, find out what really happened with Cary, who is the snitch/CI and who are the other big wigs involved. This show is masterful in moving characters and alliances around, so maybe Fin is a player that will get Alicia to run, or Castro will become a bigger player trying to mess up with Peter and a lot of other possibilities of frenemies working together.

I can't stand David Lee and I can't stand Canning, mostly because I can't stand Michael J Fox. 

And on a side note, I stopped watching SVU years ago when I could no longer stand unStabler, but I've half-watched  some newer episodes and thought I saw "Sophia" there. Just based on the little bit I saw, I like her better as Sophia.

Through all of those scenes I just kept thinking, "Wow, they're really treating Cary like a black man." Then when we learned Lemond Bishop was the target, it all made sense. They were treating Cary the same way they would treat Bishop.

Except - since he's got so much power & pull, they probably wouldn't treat Bishop as badly as they were treating Cary.

• Love 1

I don't think they are showing the police doing or not doing anything that would be considered illegal or technically violating Cary's rights.  They are playing it strict by the book, giving him no more than absolutely required.  Most of the time, the police are probably more lenient, but I'm sure they have been briefed not to be to Cary because they are hoping by giving Cary the fully allowable 'force' of the law, they will convince him to plea or otherwise turn on Bishop, the primary goal.

Also pretty sure the source of funds will end up in Cary's favor, but in the meantime, he's stuck behind bars another week.  That's why Alicia and Diane were fighting it.   They know that its brutal for Cary being there.

I don't think the judge is necessarily "in" on it, but I'm sure the timing of the arrest was meant to ensure that the strictest of judges had his "turn" on the bench for this time period.

• Love 1

Kelli started on SVU the first season of unStabler, when her show CHASE,ended. I can't remember what Sophia's job was, but I see on her first episode on TGW, "Getting Off" 2.22, it said that after Alicia lays it on the line, Kalinda looks for a new job. Yes if Sophia was a PD Detective, Kalinda couldn't get in so easily. But a Security Firm, or Private Eye that works with Law Enforcement she could.

The Cary, Carey name mix up is a good idea. And maybe the guy in jail that messed up the message to David Lee and Kalinda was to show us it could happen. But I thought that after they figured out who he was talking about, he changed his mind and tried to mess up the name again, for some reason. Did he think David and Kalinda were going to forget about his case and concentrate on Cary?

But as stated above, there is always, (quite often) 2 or more with the same name at a company. Cary might be one of the "old" names that is making a comeback? My son's name is Ryan,when we named him that in 1992, most people thought he was Brian. Now as he told us it seems he knows more Ryans then Brians. So names do get "trendy" and a lot are named it for awhile. But names like Robert, William, etc, can be broke down to be Rob, Bob,etc, and Will or Bill. So you could have 2 Williams in a office, but have one called Bill, another William. My wife is Sally, and with 2 in her office, since she is newest she is "Sally Two". She didn't like it at first, but it stuck. So maybe we are reading to much into the same name/different man story.

I did think it odd that Carey Zepps said he couldn't help because he had to pay his rent. He is probably Cary Argos's closest associate in the office, but we also see that just because Carey is a lawyer in a firm, doesn't mean he has all kinds of money. He probably doesn't have a Porsche like Cary sitting out side. Apartments in the city have to be expensive to lease. He might even take the subway, bus, taxi, or dare I say, carpool!?

When Cary was arrested, I at first thought he was being robbed. You saw the guns to the back of his head and the 2 guys yelling. The Kings commentary on CBS.com said one of the 2 was an actual officer. He was told to use all his phrases and to make it look real. The jail house where Cary and the bearded DUI guy(he had been on here before)were cuffed,was an actual prison. They had to work around prisoners being moved around in the back. This was a hall to the kitchen I believe. They said you had 48 hours to get your 1 call. Some of the other scenes are made up in the prison to look like one they had seen in a foreign country when they were looking for information on a failed project. So they said that the holding cell with the bad lighting was actually bigger then they had seen in real life. And it had less men then was in the real one! The scenes with the plexiglass in them were made by their people and drilled and scuffed up to look real. I doubt I will be able to watch the commentary every week, but it was interesting and is worth a watch if you're so inclined.

Edited by webruce
  • Love 2

I felt deeply meh about this episode, maybe because I don't have the hots for Matt C.  Yes, he did look better scruffy, but it doesn't outweigh my dislike of this storyline.  I don't like Finn, I don't want to see more of him.  And there were so many big plot holes, to me.

I will say the CarEy theory is my only hope for this story line.  Great thoughts there.  BUT only if it's resolved in 3 episodes, max.  And I'd say Kalinda was ignoring Cary on purpose for reasons that will soon become clear in a Kalinda Knows Best sort of way.

What I enjoyed about the episode was everything involving Eli, including his daughter.  I'd watch a spinoff where the 2 of them started a firm and did their thing.  Honestly, if Diane and Eli left the show, so would I.  Also, I too missed Clarke. I'm glad Nathan Lane is busy for his sake, but disappointed for my sake!

Also, poor Samantha Mathis, her career makes me sad, for some reason.  Maybe because I love Little Women so much (don't judge me!)

I didn't watch Gilmore Girls regularly, but I plan to rip through it on Netflix next month!

• Love 2

You have never heard of Carey Price?

I LOVE Carey Price, but I don't think he's enough of a household name, especially outside Canada (assuming the poster is not Canadian), to come to mind for most people when thinking of young people named Cary/Carey.

So I loved this episode.  I thought I would stop watching this show after Will died, but the show is still going strong.  There are a few things in the episode that I found a bit tiresome (David Lee and Louis Canning's scheming and Kalinda using her sexual powers for an investigation being the main ones) but it was otherwise a good episode, really sucked me in and I'm glad they're giving Cary more screentime.  I thought Finn's behaviour was out of character, but I'll give it a few more episodes before deciding whether they've just screwed up the writing of this character, or whether there's a reason he's acting like this.

Also, poor Samantha Mathis, her career makes me sad, for some reason.  Maybe because I love Little Women so much (don't judge me!)

Wait, the polling lady was her?  Ouch, she hasn't aged too well.

The Cary, Carey name mix up is a good idea. And maybe the guy in jail that messed up the message to David Lee and Kalinda was to show us it could happen. But I thought that after they figured out who he was talking about, he changed his mind and tried to mess up the name again, for some reason. Did he think David and Kalinda were going to forget about his case and concentrate on Cary?

I think the guy in jail was a few sandwiches short of a picnic, or perhaps high.  I think he just had a lot of trouble remembering Cary's name.  He wouldn't have said a word about Cary if he had doubts about his lawyers forgetting his own case.

• Love 3

One thing, if this episode picked right up when the last one ended, then Finn and Alicia should have still been hesitant to go in a court room. I didn't see that hesitation here. Also Finn and Castro weren't on the best of terms. But I guess they did talk near end of season. 

Wonder to if the ballot box stuffing story will resurface? Maybe that will be Alicia's first investigation if she runs and gets States Attorney? Jim Moody and Nelson Dubeck will they be back?

Edited by webruce

I think the guy in jail was a few sandwiches short of a picnic, or perhaps high.  I think he just had a lot of trouble remembering Cary's name.

I think low-on-sandwiches guy was having trouble remembering his *own* name.  Odd but fortunate that Kalinda was there with David Lee (who clearly did not relish his visit to the holding facility).  David Lee, even if he had figured out that Cary was in custody, would have delighted in letting him rot there.

• Love 3

I don't think they are showing the police doing or not doing anything that would be considered illegal or technically violating Cary's rights.  They are playing it strict by the book, giving him no more than absolutely required.

If they did not read his miranda rights they fumbled and this is cause for dismissal. If he said he wanted to talk to a lawyer and they did not call his lawyer they also fumbled. And I believe he MUST be informed of his accusations, which they didn't, since the other guy "overheard" the cops

What I enjoyed about the episode was everything involving Eli, including his daughter.

Like father, like daughter. Love them. 

Thing about the intern: she's wearing a medium length skirt, no one is going to get a look even if she touches her toes or swivels around in a chair. So what's the problem?

You have a point (before she flashed the office, anyway). "The guys" talking about her underwear situation were acting inappropriately, unless Eli's daughter overheard them professionally talking about going to HR because Lauren told them about her lack of underwear. That scenario is highly doubtful, of course. So, where's their punishment? Though we don't know how they determined/discovered her lack of underwear. If she told them or deliberately showed them, that's a problem too, obviously.

I think Sophia's a PI.

I kind of wish I hadn't read about the Cary/Carey theory, because I hadn't thought of that and it seems highly likely.

I listened to the commentary and there was no explanation of the final scene with Kalinda and Cary in the hall. But I did learn that the drunk guy cuffed next to Cary was Jonathan Coulton, he of the "Baby Got Back"/Glee dispute.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 1

Kellie Giddish is still on SVU.  webruce brought up the question I had which was why did Sophia even have to "distract" Kalinda?  If the cops wanted to arrest Kalinda it didn't matter if she was with Cary or not, they'd arrest her so that didn't even make sense to me.  This is the second time Kalinda has (rightly) felt threatened by Bishop and backed off.

I like the Cary/CarEy theory.  Agree about the money though, would they really have been dumb enough to use the money from Bishop's flunkie?

As for Finn, I still like the guy and have no qualms about him acting the way he did.  It is his job afterall.

David Lee and Lewis Canning are both conniving and scum but I find them amusing.

Interngate is stupid and the best part was Eli and his daughter.  Although, Peter is sort of stuck on stupid but I don't expect better from him.

I'm curious as to how Alicia's relationship with Bishop wouldn't come out if she chose to ran for State's Attorney.  Whether he's been arrested/indicted or not, I can't see the current AG not waving that around like a flag.

• Love 2

If they did not read his miranda rights they fumbled and this is cause for dismissal. If he said he wanted to talk to a lawyer and they did not call his lawyer they also fumbled. And I believe he MUST be informed of his accusations, which they didn't, since the other guy "overheard" the cops

My understanding is that cops only have to read someone their rights before they start to question them. And even then if they don't it's not necessarily grounds for throwing out the case, it is just that anything the arrested guy says can't be used against him.  I don't remember any scene where cops or the State's Attorney was questioning Carey. 

This is the second time Kalinda has (rightly) felt threatened by Bishop and backed off.

I'm just glad there's someone out there who Kalinda can't manipulate with her magical lady parts. I get tired really quickly of her seemingly one brand of detecting.

• Love 4