Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 9/22/14

Athena
  • Start Topic

The comment about being tired of rich people complaining and that they should "just be happy" was pretty shitty.

Having someone close to me suffer for many years with depression I know that's it's not so easy to say "be happy", snap out it or having it explained why they should be positive is a slap in the face. It's not so clear cut. And sometimes celebrities sharing their stories about money not being the cure-for-all and that they experience bouts of sadness helps other "normal" people know they are not alone. So Nicolle suggesting celebs or rich people sit down, shut up, and plant a smile on their face was really fucked up. I don't blame Rosie for snapping back the way she did; yes it's great that Nicolle is generally happy (good for her, so am I) but that's not everyone - even celebrities.

Edited by Stacee
  • Love 14

Nicolle really stepped in it today when she complained about how she gets so annoyed with celebs with depression considering she was sitting between Rosie who struggles with depression and Whoopi whose friend just committed suicide. I think it's a pretty heartless response; money doesn't buy happiness is a popular saying for a reason.

The right is so happy about Obama bombing ISIS because they think it justifies Bush invading Iraq and or paints Obama as a hypocrite for voting against the Iraq war. They seriously are incapable of seeing any grey areas or distinctions between starting a war for no reason and responding to the fall out of a war.

Nicole really did step in it. She came off cold and heartless. I loved Rosie calling her on it. And it was a great read!

Rosie Perez also has suffered from depression.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 7

I thought Rosie said yesterday that she would dress to please Maggie Griffin today. I don't think an Eminem sweatsuit was quite the look Ma Griffin had in mind. Did Rosie just forget? Did she say anything about it?

• Love 3
I thought Rosie said yesterday that she would dress to please Maggie Griffin today.

She sure said it, but I thought she said it tongue in cheek.

I understand what Nicole is saying.  There are many people who suffer from clinical depression, it's awful.  There are also many people who don't suffer from clinical depression, who have quack therapists working with prescription-happy MD's, who claim they're suffering from clinical depression.

• Love 2

I understand what Nicole is saying.  There are many people who suffer from clinical depression, it's awful.  There are also many people who don't suffer from clinical depression, who have quack therapists working with prescription-happy MD's, who claim they're suffering from clinical depression.

I'd confront the idea that there are MANY people who are in treatment for depression, but that aren't really experiencing depression.  More often than not it is the other way around, that people are experiencing clinical depression and are not getting treatment and asking for the help that they may need.   The stigma is hard enough without thoughtless comments like the ones which Nicolle shared on today's show.  Depression comes in all shapes and sizes and there is no universal sign or symptom.  

• Love 9

If Nicole had said that, then I'd give her a pass.  But that isn't what she said, and I don't see how that could be gleaned from what she said.  She said that she doesn't understand why millionaire celebrities can't just be happy.  It showed a complete lack of understanding of mental health issues, and that happiness isn't always a choice.  I'm sure millionaire celebrity Robin Williams would have been completely fixed to hear her helpful advice to "be happy."  Her comment, to me, was a great example of how otherwise educated and intelligent people can be completely ignorant when it comes to understanding brain chemistry.  I thought Rosie's response, while a bit tense, was much nicer and more cordial than it could have been.

Edited by marny
  • Love 14

If her comment was tongue in cheek, her delivery was certainly off...as it often is.  Sometimes her "jokes" would work better if she presented them differently.

Nicole really did step in it. She came off cold and heartless.

Let's hope that she doesn't have to gain empathy the hard way.

• Love 3

Her comment, to me, was a great example of how otherwise educated and intelligent people can be completely ignorant when it comes to understanding brain chemistry. 

It's also why a good number of people that are struggling with issues as it relates to various degrees of sadness/depression don't voice their thoughst and hide inside themselves. Many times, people poo poo their feelings or tell them how they should feel (i.e. "be happy!". I imagine it's very very frustrating.

I forgot about Rosie saying she'd dress up for Kathy's mom! Heh, when she said it, I thought she was serious. I did notice she was wearing a bit more makeup today. But the hoodie was very casual.

Rosie seems tense lately. I wonder if there is something else going on?

On the other hand, Whoopi is incredibly relaxed, almost hyper. It's so...different... from the last couple of seasons.

• Love 2

I have to laugh at these celebrities and media figures discussing the issue of whether or not take vacation time, because this question is really relevant to "regular" people who have "normal" Monday to Friday, 9 to 5 (or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9....) job, OK?? lol Even when these co-hosts work, whether it's on a TV show, film, theater, standup, etc., there is a lot of down time between projects or TV seasons. So, it's such a joke to hear them discuss the hard decision-making on whether or not to take vacation time. (and you know The View crew and cast take at least 2 months off per calendar year...snicker). Do a 50-hour work week grind for at least a year before diving into this topic again, OK ladies (with perhaps the exception of Nicole, who had a full time job in the Bush era)?? lmao!!

Oh, and not to mention that most working folks are living from pay check to pay check (because not all of us are lucky enough to get multi-million dollar contracts) and are AFRAID to take vacation days because of the fear of being cast as non-essential and replaceable - a very common fear these days since the middle class hasn't really recovered from the economic slump. The fact that this was not discussed begs the question of how much these co-hosts are in touch with your average American day to day reality...just sayin'.... :)

Edited by bluemosaic
  • Love 10

I heard Nichole's comment about celebrities being sad..... and Rosie's response about the swimming pool.... what I missed is what started the discussion.... Im assuming it was some rich celebrity comment about something.... but I don't know what it was... can someone enlighten me?

• Love 1

I heard Nichole's comment about celebrities being sad..... and Rosie's response about the swimming pool.... what I missed is what started the discussion.... Im assuming it was some rich celebrity comment about something.... but I don't know what it was... can someone enlighten me?

It had to do with Alannas Morrisett being interviewed by Oprah and her saying how happiness is temporary and if we are chasing a temporary state we set ourselves up for failure.

Rosie P talked about dealing with depression and Rosie O discussed how she told her kids that feelings are not facts and they are not forever.

Then it went from there...

• Love 2

well said bluemosaic.... did you notice that Rosie said.... it would be great if everyone could work a 4 day week but that just isn't reality

She forgot to say "Unless you work for The View"

I was thinking exactly that, Roger...and 3 of the 4 days are half days...sweet...for them.

• Love 3

Was Alannas Morrisett talking about depression and that was what Nichole Wallace was talking about or did she make a general statement about rich celebrities??

If it was the latter then I understand her meaning..... I say something similar when some athlete gets caught smoking pot or taking some other drug..... these people are given the world and they piss it away for a moment of entertainment. Or a politician getting caught in a scandal... real or imagined.... and the chance to do something good just melts away.

It seems that our media can create some fake scandals and they tend to get serious

If it was the latter then I understand her meaning..... I say something similar when some athlete gets caught smoking pot or taking some other drug..... these people are given the world and they piss it away for a moment of entertainment. Or a politician getting caught in a scandal... real or imagined.... and the chance to do something good just melts away.

No it had nothing to do with celebs getting caught doing something wrong.

In the context of what they were speaking about in Hot Topics, Nicolle was saying rich celebs should just be happy (like she is). I guess she feel celebs have no reason to feel sad or publicly express feelings of sadness.

• Love 4

What bothered me about what Nicole said, is that came off so immature.

This woman is not some young girl fresh off the farm, thrown in front of a TV camera for the first time. Nicole has had an established career working with some very powerful people. And been in TV before.

So her comment sounded idiotic coming from a woman who should know better.

Everyone can't just be happy because they have money and fame. I'm sure we all have been annoyed with celebs, but to say why are you not happy you are rich and famous? Seem like something a child might say.

• Love 5

This woman is not some young girl fresh off the farm, thrown in front of a TV camera for the first time. Nicole has had an established career working with some very powerful people. And been in TV before.

If she talks about presidential placemats, I'm done.

• Love 4

Maybe Woopie's more engaged demeanor and attitude this season is because:

1) she's happier in her job with the new coworkers and show vision, and/or

2) any meds she may have been on which affected demeanor were changed or adjusted over summer hiatus, and/ or

3) she's not smoking grass for her glaucoma on her way to work anymore, just while she is being driven home.

For whatever reason, I like being more "present" on the show and in the conversations.

• Love 6

Everyone can't just be happy because they have money and fame. I'm sure we all have been annoyed with celebs, but to say why are you not happy you are rich and famous? Seem like something a child might say.

I found Nicolle's statement to be naive, as well.  I thought Ro did an okay job trying to explain with the shallow end/deep end, but it went over Nicolle's head, I think, and Whoopi was laughing hysterically for reasons unknown to us, and Ro just seemed taken aback but not in an obvious Ro way.  She is really holding back the real Ro.

• Love 5

I think Whoopi was laughing because it was clear that Nicolle didn't understand a damn thing that Ro said and Whoopi had to laugh at it in order to not have a much worse reaction.  

If I was Whoopi I would have had a frank conversation with Nicolle after the show was over that probably would go a lot like this "I just buried my friend because I guess he just couldn't look at all his money and celebrity and GET HAPPY....so why don't you just go fuck yourself."  

• Love 9

Nichole said, "Maybe they are pumping helium into my apartment but I feel happy most of the time. And I find it BORING (my emphasis) when celebrities talk about 'I'm so sad all the time.'

Rosie gave her analogy about the "deep end of the pool is where the treasures are" but Nichole said she was happy in the shallow end of the pool, and then Whoopi, of course, went to commercial. 

Nichole does come across happy most of the time, but she also seems sort of shallow.

Just my view!

• Love 5

You know what I forgot to say in my earlier comment?  That I don't think Nicolle even understood what Alanis was talking about.  I have not seen the interview with O, but from the clip, I didn't get a "I just cannot be happy" vibe.  I think she said something like it is a temporary state, which is true.  I don't suffer from depression, but I am not always happy.  And I know many people who suffer from serious depression, and they are never or rarely happy.  So Nicolle's comment just seemed weird as a commentary on what Alanis said.  I just didn't get it.  Then I read this over at Ask Ro, which reminded me that I too thought AM was just describing something and not saying she is unhappy:

Kris McGuire writes:September 24, 2014 7:17 pm
Why are you so mean? What you said today to Nicole regarding the shallow and deep end of the pool was cruel and insulting. Can't you accept people who have different views and opinions from you? There are many people who are positive and go thru life being happy without being a shallow person. I think you owe her an apology.
if u have ever listened to or been moved by alanis morisettes music - it has been her insight about her feelings that birthed those soothing songs - that gift she shared with the world. she is not complaining about her life - just describing it
  • Love 6
Was Alannas Morrisett talking about depression and that was what Nichole Wallace was talking about or did she make a general statement about rich celebrities??

I didn't see the entire interview with Alanis, but in regards to happiness, and I've seen other interviews where Oprah talked more in depth about  this and how she feels about our culture, we keep talking about happiness and going with the flow and that is just not natural.  We need to embrace the pain.  I remember Oprah saying, if we forget a friend's birthday and feel bad, we should feel bad.  That is natural.  If we go to a job interview and feel nervous, we should because that is a nervous situation.  But our current culture tells us we should not feel those emotions and if we do, take a pill.  So I went into The View's segment remembering those Oprah words of wisdom (which I agree with).  

I suffer from major depression so maybe that is why I was so sensitive to Nicolle's comments that money could solve my problems.  I've had doctors even tell me, "Well you don't seem depressed..." as if I can't drink a ton of coffee and seem sociable, or friends who say "snap out of it" or "But you make so many one liners, you can't be depressed."  Well where are they when I can't get out of bed or think my friends would be better off if I killed myself?  It is a diseased way of thinking.  It is very hard to understand that your emotions are not facts, as Rosie said.  I tell myself everyday that how I feel is not reality, and that other people have an entirely different perception of me.  It's difficult to do, but I try.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 15

HUGS to you Morbs

Sometimes I think I'm dealing with depression but honestly I don't think so.... I'm sad all the time but I do my best not to "wallow" in it..... I think mostly Im lonely but I don't seek anyone out...... I just deal with myself..... The funny thing is I doubt anyone who knows me know how I feel. Honestly there isn't anyone that I can be completely honest with.... not any more.

I do hope you continue to investigate your perception. Thanks for sharing :)

• Love 7

I think you're onto something Wabanagirl1952.   She has probably had her teeth capped, recapped, veneered, plated...lotsa stuff.  The way she moves her mouth when she talks is always irritating--well, not irritating, but really noticeable in a not good way.  It seems much more pronounced now  (I'd highlight your name, but I haven't murdered this rabid mouse yet).

Rosie's teeth may look different because she had them capped or veneered when she was heavier. I noticed on several co workers, who had noticeable weight losses, that the change in their face shape/size made their teeth/mouth/smile look very different. Even those who hadn't had cosmetic work on their teeth prior to the weight loss had a change in that area.

• Love 1

That absolutely isn't a fact. Obama did not collapse in his first or second year of office. Under his administration he has drastically reduced the amount of allowable emmissions from cars. He has instituted numerous regulations to reduce carbon emissions from coal plants and the such. He has overseen a huge expansion to the renewable energy industry to the point that solar and wind power now account for a large portion of the country's energy suppy. He has tried and tried and tried to get a cap and trade policy and tougher regulations through congress but as is the norm, the Republicans have obstructed everything he has tried to do. I could go on and on about his proposals and accomplishments regarding global warming. He has easily been the most aggressive and most successful president ever in the area of climate change and his achievements could have been even greater if he hadn't been blocked by Republicans.

She raged against Obama with previous, current and future Republican talking points and was as right winged as any Tea Partier and it certainly wasn't just when he was messing up. If he BREATHED she was ranting and raving. Again, the list is very very long of issues that Obama didn't "mess up" on but that never once stopped Wallace or Priebus or any other Republican from making the most outrageous laughable claims against him.

Her shtick is indefensible on pretty much any show she's on but Maher is one of the few that allows his guests to rant and rave (loudly) and she was outshouted. Most shows she just talks over everyone and nobody else can get a word in edgewise (a finely honed Republican debating tactic) which is what has, unfortunately, happened so far on the View. Once the Rosies get their acts and their confidence in gear, I am very sure they will have more to say and we will see shrieking Nicole at her finest.

Thank you! Wallace and her ilk get away with their lies about Obama because the liberal media is so worried about being called pro-Obama they let the GOP lies go unanswered. No other president has come close to Obama's record on the environment and he's accomplished more in his 6 years than any president since LBJ. And he did it with an opposition party that is insane and an entire media attacking him. Pew Center found in 2012 that over 80% of all news stories on Obama were negative something no modern president has had to face.

This is what I was worried about when Wallace signed on to The View. She's a professional liar and the liberals on the panel are no match for her. They don't have the skills to push back against her lies so they just get left out there unanswered. So frustrating.

Edited by pivot
  • Love 7

Maybe Whoopi switched her medical weed strain from a nice, sleepy indica to a more energetic sativa to keep up with this group. :) I also hate the uh hus uh hus. It does have an "I'm deeming your opinion worthy" vibe.

RO's lipstick is too red for me. It emphasizes the teeth thing. A more subtle shade that is not so shocking might be better.

• Love 3

I am still appalled by Nicole - saying that in front of Whoopi and RO. Or anyone that suffers from depression or have a loved one with it, viewers and all.

I think at times in our lives everyone does have a depression here and there - due to illness, death of loved ones, loss of job or home etc.

But many people suffer from clinical depression. Which can't necessarily be cured by a magic pill or therapy. I can't even imagine the despair they feel.

But then, Nicole is hardly a critical thinker, and lacks compassion. At least at this stage of her life. But that doesn't excuse her comment at all.

JMHO

• Love 8

re the concept of happiness (and not referring to anyone who is afflicted with depression, which gallops in my family): my mom used to say that there are too many ups and downs when your goal is happiness, and that there is much less deviation from your norm and more satisfaction in your life when your goal is being content. Not that you should consistently settle for less than you deserve, of course, which doesn't bring contentment. More like "bloom where you are planted," I think.

I am enjoying the new View so, so much. I hope the previous incarnation has at least some realization of how far off the mark they were, although they probably do not. Not that they can/will acknowledge, anyway. I can hardly wait for when this new bunch is settled in and comfortable and being their true selves every day, because I like a whole lot of what they are showing me thus far.

• Love 7

I missed most of the show today.*  But from reading here I get the gist of the discussion regarding depression.  In not so recent years, we have all learned that depression does not discriminate.  It hits everywhere - doesn't matter if someone has money or not, social status doesn't matter at all, race, color, creed, doesn't matter at all.  No one suffering from depression can snap themselves out of it just by deciding to or seeing the good in their lives.  It doesn't work that way.  We've been educated on it, and although it hasn't gotten out as much as it needs to, some people cannot claim to be unaware of that. 

Nicolle has not been living under a rock.  She pretends to when it suits her or her Republican talking points.  By making light of mental health issues, she (thinks she) can justify her party sweeping it under the rug.**

When she said those idiotic things, what did Rosie say?

* Someone phoned me right when the ladies were seated and I didn't get off the phone until the interview with Anthony Anderson and Tracee Ellis Ross was almost over!  :(  I was disappointed to miss it and have not felt that way about missing The View in over 11 years.

** Either that or she really is dumb as fuck.

Edited to add:  Isn't it nice of Whoopi to continue to remind us any way she can and every time she can that she's only there to collect her pay check?

Edited by Dreamboat Annie
  • Love 5

I went back and watched the video and in my opinion Alanis Morisette was not talking about depression.... but how happiness is fleeting..... Rosie P brought up depression.... and Nichole seemed to be commenting on AM comment instead of Rosie P........ but it was after Rosie P made her comments

maybe someone will post the video tomorrow so we can all view it again

I really do appreciate the discussions we have about the "hot topics" that The View provide

• Love 3

I went back and watched the video and in my opinion Alanis Morisette was not talking about depression.... but how happiness is fleeting..... Rosie P brought up depression.... and Nichole seemed to be commenting on AM comment instead of Rosie P........ but it was after Rosie P made her comments

maybe someone will post the video tomorrow so we can all view it again

I really do appreciate the discussions we have about the "hot topics" that The View provide

I agree Roger. That was basically my interpretation as well. While she may have been a bit naïve in her comments, I don't think Nicolle was being intentionally dismissive of depression. The way I interpreted it, the conversation was not about depression, much less clinical depression, at least not initially. The conversation was about happiness and the societal pressures that insist we appear "happy" all the time when that is simply not the way the human condition works for most of us. I thought AM's point was that most emotions, including happiness, are temporary and of equal import, and that trying to be happy all the time is setting yourself up for failure as happiness is only temporary. My impression was that RP immediately shifted the conversation from the subject of happiness to the subject of depression but Nicolle was coming at it from a different direction. My inference of Nicolle's remark was that it was not about depression at all, and certainly not clinical depression, but more superficial along the lines that celebrities who *whine* about their privileged celebrity lives instead of being grateful bore her.

RO kind of smacked her around with the shallow end/deep end of the pool remark. I understand the point RO was making about the artistic temperament and soul, if you will, but I thought she was a little harder on N than she needed to be with that remark, although N seemed to brush it off pretty easily (presumably because she's just happy!), and Whoopi was just cracked up by the whole exchange.

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-view/news/view-news/wednesday-september-24-2014

I thought the "Black-ish" interview was interesting but I wonder how it did in the ratings tonight. I know I was immediately uncomfortable with the title the first time I heard it, and I wonder if it discouraged potential viewers from even bothering to check it out.

• Love 5

I am loving both these forums and the new version of "The View"! I caught up on the last few eps and I don't think anyone is wrong, per se, in the Alanis/Oprah convo (rich folks can't possibly be depressed!). I believe Nicolle likely has a different view of both the concepts of great wealth and depression than has Rosie O'Donnell -- the latter of which has lived through both. I think Nicolle may have had her feelings hurt because she thought Rosie was calling HER shallow, and I think Rosie was trying to diplomatically explain the dichotomy of depression and fame/success/wealth that is often lost on people. I thought it was an interesting discussion throughout, and I don't fault either of the women.

And I know Kathy Griffin lives in L.A., but have her on every week.

• Love 3

I thought the "Black-ish" interview was interesting but I wonder how it did in the ratings tonight. I know I was immediately uncomfortable with the title the first time I heard it, and I wonder if it discouraged potential viewers from even bothering to check it out.

I know there has been a lot of blow back on the show because of the title.  It does have the slot after Modern Family which is known to be cursed so hopefully it will be able to rise above it.  (The show itself wasn't bad given that it was just the pilot.)

I agree Roger. That was basically my interpretation as well. While she may have been a bit naïve in her comments, I don't think Nicolle was being intentionally dismissive of depression. The way I interpreted it, the conversation was not about depression, much less clinical depression, at least not initially. The conversation was about happiness and the societal pressures that insist we appear "happy" all the time when that is simply not the way the human condition works for most of us. I thought AM's point was that most emotions, including happiness, are temporary and of equal import, and that trying to be happy all the time is setting yourself up for failure as happiness is only temporary. My impression was that RP immediately shifted the conversation from the subject of happiness to the subject of depression but Nicolle was coming at it from a different direction. My inference of Nicolle's remark was that it was not about depression at all, and certainly not clinical depression, but more superficial along the lines that celebrities who *whine* about their privileged celebrity lives instead of being grateful bore her.

RO kind of smacked her around with the shallow end/deep end of the pool remark. I understand the point RO was making about the artistic temperament and soul, if you will, but I thought she was a little harder on N than she needed to be with that remark, although N seemed to brush it off pretty easily (presumably because she's just happy!), and Whoopi was just cracked up by the whole exchange.

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-view/news/view-news/wednesday-september-24-2014

TribbleTrouble that was well said..... you said it a lot better than I did.

I watched Black-ish.... it was kinda cute..... not sure what kind of impact it will have though

Nicolle saying how she doesn't like celebs who complain and that they should just "be happy" wasn't just talking about just Morissette, but rather ALL celebs. Including the two sitting at the table with her. The same two that spoke about depression and how feelings are not facts

Guess they should just replace their AC system with helium though

Wanted to discuss Whoopi and her "uh huh" grunts. Since she never really participated in interviews before, I only really noticed Hasselbeck - who was just awful with her "yeah" and "uh huhs". And it seemed her mic was turned up past the 10 dial so you really heard it.

What annoyed me about Whoopi yesterday was when she spoke about the iPhone bending and then turned to some stupid joke about as long as it vibrates. I'm no prude - at least I don't think I am really - but come on. I did not need to hear that. Because... ew.

And she wasn't even really funny.

Edited by Stacee
  • Love 7

I know there has been a lot of blow back on the show because of the title.  It does have the slot after Modern Family which is known to be cursed so hopefully it will be able to rise above it.  (The show itself wasn't bad given that it was just the pilot.)

I gauge every comedy show I watch against Big Bang Theory.  If I don't laugh or smile in the first 10 minutes, I'm out!!  Since it was a new show, I gave it 20 minutes .....  not funny!   Just sayin'.

My inference of Nicolle's remark was that it was not about depression at all, and certainly not clinical depression, but more superficial along the lines that celebrities who *whine* about their privileged celebrity lives instead of being grateful bore her.

I agree that this was Nicolle's point. My problem with it was that it really had nothing to do with what Alanis said either. Alanis wasn't whining or even saying that she was UNhappy, she was just saying, as you eloquently pointed out earlier in your post, that the state of happiness is fleeting, and that accepting that and embracing the other emotions that make up the human experience will actually make you feel more satisfied with life, rather than feeling like a failure for being unable to sustain eternal happiness. A perfectly rational, balanced thing to say, IMO, and nowhere near the realm of whining. Nicolle's comment did seem awfully, well, shallow! And not at all thoughtful or well reasoned.

• Love 6

Had to chuckle at Nicholle's "Where are the parents?"!  Hmmmm...where have we heard that before???

Nice to see the lovely Viola Davis, and hope her new show does well.  It has a tough timeslot, tho, up against the last 1/2 hour of Project Runway. She's quite loved here in her home state of Rhode Island, as she always makes the effort to return to Central Falls and support her home community.  She never misses an opportunity to attend her alma mater's productions, offering advice and funding in many ways.  She's helped many young thespians on their way up.

Wait...you can say 'ass' on the View TV, but you can't say 'tits'?? lol!

Coincidentally, I can never figure out way you can say "ass" on TV, but they always bleep out "hole" when they're used together.  Doesn't make sense to me!

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 4
* Someone phoned me right when the ladies were seated and I didn't get off the phone until the interview with Anthony Anderson and Tracee Ellis Ross was almost over!

I haven't followed Tracee Ellis Ross's career at all, so I really noticed her eyes--the right one is much larger.  When she asked to switch seats with Anthony Anderson, she commented about preferring to show her left side. Those who've known of her for years...was something wrong with her eyes at some time?

When Whoopi gushes, guests gush back.  It happens.  I expect it, I suspect she expects it, it's just expected.  Every time.  But not so with Viola Davis.  Now that was unexpected.  I don't know if it was just me, but I thought it at times  felt awkward, because I was expecting it and it didn't happen, or were Whoopi's feelings of awkwardness coming through of expecting to be gushed over and she wasn't?  Honestly, I waited for it (maybe Whoopi did, too?) and I was surprised when it didn't happen. 

I could have done without the discussion about the mile-high masturbators.  Although after that, I will definitely be the proud new owner of an airline seat cover and will never fly without one again!

(edited to remove an extra "it")

Edited by Dreamboat Annie
  • Love 3