Athena
  • Start Topic

Mo 9/22: Judd Hirsch, Lara Spencer
Tu 9/23: Andrea Martin, Bethenny Frankel
We 9/24: Anthony Anderson, Tracee Ellis Ross, Stephen King
Th 9/25: Viola Davis
Fr 9/26: Michael Strahan, Tory Johnson, Rory Kennedy

• Love 4

Another good show. I'm not sure Nichole is going to bring the controversy she was hired for, though. Also, as a rule, for some reason I don't generally like child performers and stopped watching Ellen when she became obsessed with a barely bearable duo named Rosie and Grace. But so far Rosie's kids have been terrific. Except when Rosie told today's kid to thank the other hosts he seemed to only acknowledge Whoopie and ignore the other two.

• Love 4

Well...I surely do wish Rosie wasn't so enamored with Mayim Bialik. Kudos to Blossom for her advanced STEM degree and all that; too bad it wasn't enough to stave off her addiction to crunchy pseudoscience and all the associated anti-vaccine rigmarole.

I supect Sarah Palin won't be a guest any time soon, lol. They can't even show a pic of her without dissolving into giggles.

The magazine rack lamp was FUG.

Edited by Milk-Eyed Mender
  • Love 3

Another good show. I'm not sure Nichole is going to bring the controversy she was hired for, though. Also, as a rule, for some reason I don't generally like child performers and stopped watching Ellen when she became obsessed with a barely bearable duo named Rosie and Grace. But so far Rosie's kids have been terrific. Except when Rosie told today's kid to thank the other hosts he seemed to only acknowledge Whoopie and ignore the other two.

Im the same way.... finding little kids and trying to make them stars is how we got Justin Bieber and Miley Cyris..... I get it when adults are "discovered" they can put off college and try their hand in the entertainment field.... but what are these kids supposed to do... put off Junior High School for their moment in the sun??

They really should limit the ages of kids who are put in the national spotlight...... Yes these little kids have talent.... but that talent will stay with them when they get older..... It seems that our society do their best to make kids into adults.... and then get upset when kids act like adults...... I just don't like it at all.

• Love 6

I enjoyed today's show.  The discussion of the missing college student made me a little uncomfortable.  It gave the perception of blaming the victim or the parents.  I know that is not how they meant it, but Whoopi talking about what to tell you daughters, and Rosie P. talking about how she defended herself when she was younger, kind of gave me a bad feeling.  We don't know what the parents told her or what she knew.  When I saw the young lady on video who appeared to be inebriated, kind of staggering down the street, I too, thought that I wonder why these young ladies don't go out in groups.  But then I remembered some of the absolutely dumb things i did as a young woman.

• Love 8

I was so sorry to hear about Jeannie's husband.  If Rosie ever seemed sad and/or quiet last week, that could be why.  She's a pro, and it was the very first week and she did very well, but when something like that is happening in one's life it is very difficult to focus on anything else, and it's hard to even speak.

The friend of the Clinton's may have just been making a (very ill-conceived) joke, just because of how excited Mrs. Clinton is about having a grandchild.  But I agree that such a thing would never be said about a man; and I somehow doubt it would even be said about a Republican woman.

The magazine rack lamp was FUG.

LOL.  Agreed.  I'm not a fan of flea market finds or tacky junk of any kind.

Agree about the child performers.

Hope they get back to the regular table soon.  I find myself fidgeting just because it's so awkward and uncomfortable looking.

• Love 4

Rosie has had her teeth capped for a very long time.  She practically live blogs the experience when she has them redone. 

I just keep wondering if Hannah Graham was on her way to a 90's party or something based on how she was dressed.  Are midriffs back in?  And come on... Rosie Perez and Whoopi never had a one night stand when they were young or put themselves in a potentially dangerous situation with a stranger?

I'm ambivalent about the nude hacking scandal.  On one hand, I think people should do whatever they want in terms of their sex life and today the reality is there is a cyber/long distance aspect to many relationships.  But then, I don't send out nude pics at all.  Whoopi is right, it is a problem for regular people too where some sites will post a person's work email or facebook and attach a nude pic.  The best is the MSNBC host who warmed everyone to just take nude pics but crop out the face: he was definitely talking from experience.  

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 3

I really enjoyed Nicolle in the segment with Rosie.  

About the VA girl... whatever might have made you feel uncomfy with it, was nothing compared to Alex Twit (MSNBC) last weekend saying that "girls should know better", I wanted to throw a shoe through my television.

• Love 4

Nicolle was able to spin what was clearly a lowlife backwoods beer drinking brawl into something that could sound like a loving, loyal let's-stick-together family partaking in a wholesome activity, without it even being all that obvious she was defending Sarah Palin.  Only time will tell if she belongs at the View table, but there's no question she belongs in politics.

• Love 5

I just can't get over how much I'm enjoying The View now!!  I'm not crazy about kid acts, but if they're at the end of the show I can move on with my day.   So much to like & look forward to now, but I know I'm going to have to suffer through segments like today's with the "handy gal".  I've never been into flea markets, garage or tag sales because I simply didn't have the time.  If I needed something, I would buy it, not search for a way to make it.  LOL.

• Love 2

I'm disappointed in both Clay Aiken and the majority of the women of The View who felt it was okay to slut shame and continue to revictimize those whose pictures were stolen and put out there for everyone to see.  The women who were hacked are victims plain and simple and for people to say that for the simple fact that they took a naked pic that they "deserve what they get" reminds me of the rape argument of "if you wear that out to the club, what do you expect to happen?"  

I didn't think Nicolle was defending Sarah Palin at all.  She said that she's seen how that family BRAWLS and that she doesn't doubt at all that the incident happened the way it is being reported.  Her saying that the family does defend one another, but that it is usually down with fist fights isn't being Pro Palin in my book.  

• Love 9

I don't see this hacking stuff and the warning that if you take nude photos of yourself and they get hacked or sent around by a bad ex as slut shaming, I see it as fair warning, and it's logical, for well over a decade the message has been loud and clear, these thing on the internet are there forever.  My understanding is that even if you delete things from the cloud, they aren't even completely deleted.  I think it's a common sense thing and it applies to all genders.

I think the iCloud is a profound cluster fuck, since anything you do picture wise and many other things go directly to the Cloud - one more reason that I am not an Apple fan.

• Love 6

I am a huge fan of thrift stores and flea markets. I am a super fan of re-purposing; finding new uses for everyday items. I liked the segment but I thought there was a bit too much cross talk. Like when Lara started to explain her mom packing up them up in the wood panel station wagon, Nicolle butted in and told a story about her childhood. And other times when Lara tried to explain something, they interrupted. It was silll fun and the best part is Whoopi did not creep out from behind the stage to pretend to steal something. Because ahhahhhahahaaa that was so funny after the 1,738th time..... 

I agree that the discussion of the missing girl seemed to veer towards blaming the victim. That discussion just felt wrong - not saying it wasn't valuable info, but in the context of the missing girl it just seemed not right 

I was shocked that Rosie was not aware of Mayim Blahnek's education background. If there was anyone on the panel that I would have thought would have known, I'd have picked Rosie. Not that Rosie watched The View, but I recall Mayim being a guest and that being a focus of the interview. Strange that Whoopi did not bring that up - perhaps she was asleep.

Loved that Rosie set the audience straight and noted she was joking about the Frozen fight. That was fun to see.

I don't think Rosie feels comfortable not being the moderator. Just her body language and how she talks - I think she's an in-charge type of person. That said, I still maintain Whoopi shouldn't be the lead here but she has done a complete change in attitude.

The Palin discussion was all kinds of uncomfortable. I really wish they had bought up how wrong it is to fight but instead it was all about how the family protects one another. But the group did not even seem to know where they were headed with the subject and just seemed to look for Nicolle to explain what was going on. And her angle seemed to be how loving they all are. By the way, Hasselbeck would have NEVER spoke against Palin; instead I bet she would have found some way to blame Obama. 

A week in and I am still loving Rosie. P

• Love 8

I was only able to catch a few seconds of the show earlier.  Did Jeannie's husband pass away -- as in Jeannie & Jackie; Rosie's lifelong BFFs?  Is that who Rosie was talking about?  I hope I am wrong.  Because how sad. :( 

Yes sadly.  She said  Jeannie (Weinie)'s husband had a three year fight with soft  tissue cancer.  Sad.  But I was glad to hear those three are still super close.  

I just keep wondering if Hannah Graham was on her way to a 90's party or something based on how she was dressed.  Are midriffs back in?  And come on... Rosie Perez and Whoopi never had a one night stand when they were young or put themselves in a potentially dangerous situation with a stranger?

Alot of 90's looks are back in style - clothes, makeup, etc.    I didn't like Whoopi or RP response either - way to too blame the victim.  My college friends and I put ourselves into so many dumb and precarious situations at that girl's age and random luck is the only reason most of us came out of it.

Nicolle was able to spin what was clearly a lowlife backwoods beer drinking brawl into something that could sound like a loving, loyal let's-stick-together family partaking in a wholesome activity, without it even being all that obvious she was defending Sarah Palin.  Only time will tell if she belongs at the View table, but there's no question she belongs in politics.

Ha!  I love your description Dreamboat Annie!  I agree Wallace is smooth when it comes to politics.  At least so far on this show. 

I didn't get the impression that Nicolle was defending Palin at all, she really detests her.  Have you seen or read Game Change?

Yes and yes.   Nicolle also featured a crazy female politician character in one of her novels that many people said was loosely based on Palin, lol.   I didn't think Wallace was defending Palin but as RO pointed out, she was being very diplomatic. Or you know, the opposite of Bitsy. 

Maybe I have too much residual stuff from the last five years of this show but in my mind I kept hearing Babs interrupt, hands flailing, to tell us about when SHE interviewed Palin.  Sorry Babs, Nicolle Wallace worked for her for a year or so - she's got you beat. 

edited for pronoun changes and double negatives.  Posting and working again. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 7

I don't see this hacking stuff and the warning that if you take nude photos of yourself and they get hacked or sent around by a bad ex as slut shaming, I see it as fair warning, and it's logical, for well over a decade the message has been loud and clear, these thing on the internet are there forever.  My understanding is that even if you delete things from the cloud, they aren't even completely deleted.  I think it's a common sense thing and it applies to all genders.

I think the iCloud is a profound cluster fuck, since anything you do picture wise and many other things go directly to the Cloud - one more reason that I am not an Apple fan.

I understand what you are saying, basically don't put anything on the internet that you're not okay with the whole world seeing. At the same time, I hold these women no more accountable than I hold myself accountable if hackers steal my information when I file taxes, register my kid for school, shop at Target or pay a bill, all online.

• Love 10

I understand what you are saying, basically don't put anything on the internet that you're not okay with the whole world seeing. At the same time, I hold these women no more accountable than I hold myself accountable if hackers steal my information when I file taxes, register my kid for school, shop at Target or pay a bill, all online.

No me neither, I just don't think it rises to the level of slut shaming, if that makes sense?  Now the missing VA girl tut-tutting absolutely does!

• Love 4

Once again, I enjoyed the show today. The View has actually become a show that I will watch, and even look forward to daily. Whoopi seemed surprisingly engaging and rather enjoyable today. I guess she either had a good weekend, or she is enjoying her new co-hosts as much as I.

• Love 5

No me neither, I just don't think it rises to the level of slut shaming, if that makes sense?  Now the missing VA girl tut-tutting absolutely does!

It does, thank you. :)

All I can say about these young women who go missing: There but for the grace of God (or sheer luck) go I and anyone else I've ever known, too. Who knew Clay Aiken was such a judgmental prick?

• Love 6
Because ahhahhhahahaaa that was so funny after the 1,738th time.....

KaDOOZ, Stacee!  I see that Warm-Up Tom is still there.  Let's hope the new director doesn't require him to rev up the audience when Whoopi is shoplifting.  As long as it gets a laugh, she'll continue to do it.  If someone played CRICKETS...that antic would stop.

• Love 2

I thought Nicolle was being shadey towards Palin, she even said "up until a point" so I don't think her intent was to obtuse at all.  Like when she said with the Palins it is always exactly what it looks like, and the audience laughed.  I give her a lot of credit for not voting for McCain.  I think that shows a lot of moral character.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 6

I feel sick to my stomach watching the videos of the missing college student out, alone, seemingly in an inebriated state. She seemed so vulnerable. At the same time I'm in a FB group about missing people, and one case came up of a 16-year-old girl who had been found, murdered, after meeting up with someone she met online. 

Is it slut-shaming to say, "Be careful out there?" I don't think so. That line was popularized by an actor playing a cop on Hill Street Blues, to his squad. The fact is that people - men, women, children - should be careful out there. There are predators, there are people who will take advantage of someone in a weaker state, there are terrible things that can happen to you when you're not in control. 

I would think a parent is well within their rights to tell their children - male or female - how to take care of themselves, how to be aware of your surroundings, how to guard your privacy when on the Internet. 

That's not shaming, that's self-preservation. 

• Love 8
So much to like & look forward to now, but I know I'm going to have to suffer through segments like today's with the "handy gal".

I did like those wheeled bases on the "not a poof" she made.  Still, they looked rustic and too historic for that use.  There might have been some better use for them.  I wish I had heard her explanation more clearly.  I guess the direction is to interrupt to appear involved...but it just takes away from the presentation.  Wish I'd worded this better.

• Love 2

Rosie may have "contributed" a little too much to the craft section with Lara

I thought it was Nichole that kept yapping all through the segment.  I love that Lara is a pro and just kept talking.

My understanding is that even if you delete things from the cloud, they aren't even completely deleted.  I think it's a common sense thing and it applies to all genders.

I understand it that way too.  You can delete all you want but your apple products do go immediately to the cloud and will stay there.

Who knew Clay Aiken was such a judgmental prick?

I know, right? 

New View or not, I can only take a few minutes before I change the channel.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 1

"Victim-blaming" might be a better term, and not so gender-charged.

I think "victim-blaming", (or blaming the victim) is the well used term.  Is there another one?  Did they mention another term?  I'd like to know because if they did, I missed it.  I too felt uneasy with the discussion presented regarding the missing student, because it certainly felt like the old, popular stance taken of blaming the victim.  When I was growing up, it was standard practice to "blame the victim".  As we evolved as a society (sort of) we learned that rape and kidnapping is not about sex but about power.  We don't care if she was drunk and staggering, we don't care if she wore a short skirt, we don't care if she should have known better, she didn't deserve to go missing.  And that discussion today sent me right back to those "blame the victim" times.

I guess I'm confused.  There's the discussion regarding the missing student.  Then there's the slut shaming discussion regarding computer privacy where the term "slut shaming" came up.  Did you  mean to say "victim shaming"

• Love 2

I guess I just compounded the two situations. I am not blaming the victim. I do think everyone should be aware of what is happening around them; we teach children to look both ways before they cross the street but we don't - or shouldn't - blame them if they get hit by a car.

They seem to have a suspect in mind at this point so I hope that her family gets some answers soon.

• Love 3
I am not blaming the victim.

I know you're not.  I was just confused by your previous comment that "victim-blaming" might be a better term, and not so gender-charged, when "victim blaming" has been the well known and well used term.  And I was just wondering if maybe you had meant to suggest the term "victim shaming" instead of "slut shaming". 

• Love 2

Also, as a rule, for some reason I don't generally like child performers and stopped watching Ellen when she became obsessed with a barely bearable duo named Rosie and Grace. But so far Rosie's kids have been terrific.

I'm always mixed about kid performers. So far, Rosie's found ones who are genuinely talented but I don't like child performers where their main appeal seems to be cute. That's what bothered me about Rosie and Grace, that's what has bothered me in the past about  some AGT kids.

I do worry about the singers sometimes. I worry if they'll still have this great voice when they hit puberty or if this will be a fleeting thing for them.

The friend of the Clinton's may have just been making a (very ill-conceived) joke, just because of how excited Mrs. Clinton is about having a grandchild.

When I heard them comment on how Clinton didn't

The best is the MSNBC host who warmed everyone to just take nude pics but crop out the face: he was definitely talking from experience.

Huh. Was that Thomas Roberts? I remember the incident... though at least in that case he wasn't hacked, a blogger posted pics from a hookup site that he thought looked like Roberts.

I actually thought Lara seemed oddly unfocused and noticed Rosie mostly interrupted her with the equivalent of "get back to your original point".

• Love 2

1. Ok, I'll vote for a tall table being back during the first two weeks in October! People just seem more comfy when they don't have to watch how they are sitting and have a place to rest their arms. Maybe TPTB were trying to make the new show look different from the old version so went with a different table.

2. I am SO appreciating that hot topics and conversation have not dealt or dwelled on Kardashians, reality show people (well...they did talk Palin), etc. and I hope it continues. At this point in the season, Sherrie and Jenny would have spent 30 percent of their time on that crap! Also appreciate guest segments not being rushed, and guests given the opportunity to talk!

• Love 7

At this point in the season, Sherrie and Jenny would have spent 30 percent of their time on that crap!

Although they did seem to take on that task enthusiastically, CathinAZ, I blame Bill Geddie (solely) for those segments.  I think HE was more in love with the reality crap than either Dumb or Dumber.

• Love 7

Still loving the show.

I looked up the story about the Palin family, I had not heard of it and the ladies explanation was hard to follow.

The Palin's starting with Sarah are a bunch of jerks. For some reason I thought the fight started because some stranger made a comment about their family and the brawl went from there. Oh no, the son confronted an ex of one the daughters and the fight was on Track throwing first punch, then in jumps Bristol.

So Sarah Palin, is proud that her kids started a fight and acted like fools...OK.

Love Rosie Perez and Rosie O.

I'm not a garage sale or flee market person, but I admire those who can find used things and make them different and use them in a new way.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 5

Thanks sugarbaker design.... like I said... I haven't been paying attention

I gotta say... I have always been a fan of Kathy Griffin and this appearance on The View was so refreshing..... she even cracked up Whoopi who seemed quite unexpectedly amused.

She bounces from one subject to another and sometimes she is tough to keep up with..... she is such a hoot

• Love 4

I have noticed that the guests seem more relaxed that they used to, Kathy Griffin especially. I think now they can come on and just talk without being subjected to an inquisition or right wing outrage.

• Love 3

I have noticed that the guests seem more relaxed that they used to, Kathy Griffin especially. I think now they can come on and just talk without being subjected to an inquisition or right wing outrage.

Don't forget... Barbara Walters despised Kathy.... There was even a time where she was banned from the show...... of course Barbara said she love Kathy when she came back on the show.... but we all know that tigers cant change their stripes

• Love 2

Yeah, I figured that Barbara must really be OUT if Kathy is back, and on week 2! I think Geddie liked to throw her on for "sparks", but Barbara didn't get her at all and put the ban on over and over. Of course we'll see what happens now after all that bleeping they had to do today.

I can't believe this show is actually back to "must see" for me.

• Love 4