Type keyword(s) to search

S36.E09: My Precious Cacao

• Start Topic

This is the first season that really had no non-elimination legs. We've had a couple others that "claimed" not to, but they still had de facto non-elimination legs in the guise of "to be continued" legs. We had one double leg in the first two episodes but they still eliminated a team.

Wow, six first place finishes for Ricky and Cesar. For some reason I just don't find them especially compelling but damn, they sure seem good at everything. They were first to finish what was arguably the toughest Roadblock all season long, and sailed right through the baseball one too. They are just so competent and focused, it really will be a shame if they don't win.

A pet peeve of mine is when people say "or no" instead of "or not" - like Shane saying "Are these ones ripe or no?" And full disclosure, I've heard myself say that once or twice so maybe I'm a hypocrite to complain but it still annoys this stickler for grammar.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Amber and Vinny's interview early in the episode sounded like they were reporting to their marriage therapist after being told to do some homework.

I can imagine the therapist looking over her glasses at them and making a few notes in her little book...

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Do they usually have four teams competing in the finale? Or is the finale a combination of what was planned to be two episodes, with one team getting eliminated along the way? Phil's mention to one of the teams about 'the next leg' didn't sound like he was talking about the finale to me, but maybe I misheard or misunderstood. Anyhow the sooner it's over the better. Not my favorite season.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, WatcherUp2 said:

SO different than last season at this point, where at least 3 teams were comprised of people who I really liked. This season is on the meh-to-yuck scale for the final four.

The casting for this season was dismal, I just don't care about any of them, really.

Amber and Vinny are incredibly uncomfortable to watch and in a better season, they'd have long since been eliminated. The incompetence of so many of the teams this season is stunning, it's like they could have eliminated 4 or 5 teams in one episode and bad teams kept squeaking through because someone else was worse.

This many episodes in, I'm wondering if Rod has another speed to him. He's been loud, jovial, and high energy for the entire thing, I'm torn between being impressed by it and exhausted by it. Usually this show is good for showing different sides to people with exhaustion setting in, but he hasn't wavered.

Ricky and Cesar are killing it, but don't entirely interest me. The pilots also don't interest me at all, they are completely forgettable. 

• Like 9
1 minute ago, ljenkins782 said:

The casting for this season was dismal, I just don't care about any of them, really.

Amber and Vinny are incredibly uncomfortable to watch and in a better season, they'd have long since been eliminated. The incompetence of so many of the teams this season is stunning, it's like they could have eliminated 4 or 5 teams in one episode and bad teams kept squeaking through because someone else was worse.

This many episodes in, I'm wondering if Rod has another speed to him. He's been loud, jovial, and high energy for the entire thing, I'm torn between being impressed by it and exhausted by it. Usually this show is good for showing different sides to people with exhaustion setting in, but he hasn't wavered.

Ricky and Cesar are killing it, but don't entirely interest me. The pilots also don't interest me at all, they are completely forgettable. 

Exactly. It's like the teams are all low-market generic versions of brand-name reams we've had in the past, or clones without any variation in their programmed personalities.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

They're not making them alternate roadblocks this leg?  What the hell?

They didn't on the last mega-leg either.

14 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Next week: mascots! And t-shirt cannons!

Of course the last two legs would be compressed into one finale.

The Philly Phanatic!

• Like 1

The challenge at the cocoa farm infuriated me as so many of the racers were not using the tool and were bashing and breaking limbs of the trees.  This is the essential livelihood for many people and the lack of concern for the health of the trees was disrespectful.  I really wanted there to be penalties issued for not using the tool that was provided and I really wanted a fine levied against Vinnie who clearly broke off a branch (the loss of which would have a negative impact on the farmer).  I hope the producers at least adequately compensated the farmer.

Other than that I thought that there was a good mix of challenges in that some were difficult as would be expected this close to the finale.  I'm not really vested in any particular team winning, but I would like Amber and Vinnie to be eliminated at 4 as their relationship is so negative I feel anxious when watching them.

• Like 16
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1

my heart sank when Amber and Vinnie appeared at the pit stop first.  as others have pointed out, even Vinnie's "self-critiques" seem to tear down Amber.  just read an article about them and emotional abuse.  The quoted someone that is very apt.  something along the lines of "if you are depressed and lack self-esteem, first ask yourself if you are surrounded by ass^%$les."

• Like 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, anniebird said:

I don't understand the animosity towards Ricky and Cesar

I don't think there's a lot of animosity towards them so much as indifference. I recognize they are definitely the strongest team this season, but for whatever reason I don't find them particularly interesting. I don't know if it's because they lack personality or if their dynamic is boring or just what, but to me, they're just sort of there. But that's also been the case with most of the other teams this season.

5 hours ago, david gideon said:

Do they usually have four teams competing in the finale? Or is the finale a combination of what was planned to be two episodes, with one team getting eliminated along the way?

I think one team will be eliminated halfway through. They've done that in the past, but I think it was when the finale was 2 hours long.

• Like 4
(edited)
58 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I think one team will be eliminated halfway through. They've done that in the past, but I think it was when the finale was 2 hours long.

So all season they've stretched 60 minute episodes to fit a 90 minute slot, but now they're compressing a typical 2 hour finale into 90 minutes? Geez. 

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Like 9
  • LOL 3

I'm a bit of an outlier here but I do very much like and appreciate Ricky and Cesar.

And Rod and Leticia.

Amber and Vinnie both need help.  She is a whiner and enabler (altho' someone above mentioned that is because she is bullied) and he is insufferable.  They make my skin crawl.

I must have missed the ad for the show replacing TAR.  Do you mean that TAR is being retired?  Or is the show being advertised just a replacement until the next season.

Also, isn't the reason the show is set entirely in South America because of covid restrictions and travel difficulty?  This season is two yrs old I believe.

• Like 10
41 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

So all season they've stretched 60 minute episodes to fit a 90 minute slot,

It looked like we saw a lot of cameramen this season, there was definitely one in the water when the first two teams jumped in and I was thinking maybe because they were editing 60 min eps into 90 mins they ended up using clips that had the camera people in whereas before they'd be edited out.

Cesar helped Melissa with everything (I think) except the spiral which is the only one she got wrong after he left. She then went on to -fix- everything but that one, at least for a while. And she is the one that made note of of how the spiral should be. I'm not blaming Cesar for that at all.

I wanted Vinnie and Amber gone so much! especially when he was telling her to fix her shoelace.

• Like 6
9 hours ago, KeithJ said:
22 hours ago, iMonrey said:

WTH was Biden doing in the Dominican Republic for 45 days and what does Melissa do for a living? Secret Service?

I can't find anything saying his trip was that long.  This is all I was able to find:

It's very common for the US government to send people far ahead to do advance work like scouting locations and handling security. If there are diplomatic negotiations involved, there may be State Department personnel hammering out the details of an agreement too who need support.

It's an even more elaborate version of how a production team for TAR might spend a week setting up an episode in a country for racers who land at 9 AM and take off 12 hours later. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

Maybe I’m in the minority but I love Ricky and Cesar. They don’t argue, they are a heck of a team, and they have such a positive outlook.  I don’t see any gloating. They have killed it and kept on killing it! 
That said, the military guys are my favorite, Juan and Shane. 

• Like 20
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, kaygeeret said:

Amber and Vinnie both need help.  She is a whiner and enabler (altho' someone above mentioned that is because she is bullied) and he is insufferable.  They make my skin crawl.

He is awful. But she is very negative and a real bitch.

• Like 7
  • Applause 3
4 hours ago, kaygeeret said:

must have missed the ad for the show replacing TAR.  Do you mean that TAR is being retired?  Or is the show being advertised just a replacement until the next season.

The new show (I think it's called The Summit) is supposed to be in the timeslot after Survivor for the fall season, and TAR will return in the spring of 2025.

• Like 1
  • Angry 3
  • Useful 3
On 5/8/2024 at 7:28 PM, Browncoat said:

Throwing a baseball is different from throwing a football.  Also, don't get cocky about a sports task.

He would do better if he would calm the heck down.  His wife is pretty and she sure keeps up.

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Count me amongst the Ricky and Cesar fans.  They're one of my favorite teams ever on this show.  I guess I'm a sucker for competent, supportive and not overtly physically gifted.  I'll be disappointed if they don't win. 

Speaking of Cesar, I just saw him on Beat Bobby Flay tonight.  This is his episode.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/beat-bobby-flay/episodes/high-steaks

I too really admire their focus and how well they work together, they are super competitors without being obvious or expected, quite amazing.  I hope they win too.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 7:54 PM, Browncoat said:

Dammit.  The bad cabbie didn't help us as much as I would have liked.

I am sorry to see Melissa and Yvo go, and not just because I wanted Amber and Vinny gone.

But  awesome they since have moved in together and now have a baby girl.

Edited by endure
  • Like 1

Great tasks this episode and perfect for the Dominican Republic!

The memory task was a toughie and was set in what must be a tourist attraction, because it looked beautiful and fun.

The cacao task was interesting.  The clue must not have said you HAVE to use the tool to get the cacao.  I was OK with Rod's jumping, but less so with Vinnie breaking tree branches.

As someone who still plays hardball baseball, I would've loved the baseball task and meeting Colon (who spent some time with my beloved White Sox).  Those were not fly balls, though, they were just pop-ups.

• Like 7

Phil in the recap: "Breaking an amazing race rule, lost her [Angie] and Danny valuable time."

Oh Phil you know how to make my blood boil right off the bat. I had to pause the episode for 10 minutes, before I was able to continue.

-

Ricky and Cesar really have applicable life experiences for everything, don't they?

• Like 4
17 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't think there's a lot of animosity towards them so much as indifference. I recognize they are definitely the strongest team this season, but for whatever reason I don't find them particularly interesting. I don't know if it's because they lack personality or if their dynamic is boring or just what, but to me, they're just sort of there. But that's also been the case with most of the other teams this season.

I think it's because they have nobody to challange them. They are really fun on paper, but seeing somebody win all the time, with ease, is just not that interesting.

I still really like them, but I hope they come back another time and have to compete against competent teams.

• Like 8
4 hours ago, Seelouis said:

According to their exit interview Melissa and Yvonne lost by only 2 minutes!

We did see Phil practically push Amber and Vinny off the mat so that he could film Melissa and Yvonne arriving alone.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

They are really fun on paper, but seeing somebody win all the time, with ease,

That's the thing. Aside from whatever advantage they got from Spanish fluency they have been so consistent in virtually every race element - attitude, navigation, task performance - they do make it look very easy. At first they'd seem like an unlikely team to have such a string of 1st's and 2nd's.

Edited by SG429
  • Like 8
1 hour ago, eel2178 said:

We did see Phil practically push Amber and Vinny off the mat

I think I'd have pretty much the same reaction if I ever encountered them.

• Like 5
  • LOL 8
1 hour ago, SG429 said:

That's the thing. Aside from whatever advantage they got from Spanish fluency they have been so consistent in virtually every race element - attitude, navigation, task performance - they do make it look very easy. At first they'd seem like an unlikely team to have such a string of 1st's and 2nd's.

And, despite their string of 1st/2nd place wins, the other teams still underestimate them, at least on a physical level.  Juan (or was it Shane?) was flabbergasted that Ricky (or was it Cesar?) could keep up with him on that uphill trail.  I can only imagine Rod's reaction when he found out Ricky got all 3 baseball challenges on the first try, besting a professional athlete. 

Honestly, I think one of their hidden advantages is the strength of their relationship and ability to communicate with each other.  That's also one reason I like them as a team, and I'm rooting for them.  The Vinny/Amber dysfunctional crap is not fun to watch. 

• Like 16
  • Love 3

The sheer monotony of Ricky and Cesar once again gaining an insurmountable lead and winning again was counter balanced by the joy of not having to hear Danny's grating voice shouting MOM,MOM,MOM every sixty seconds or so.

Helping and working together this close to the finale? Seriously!? 

Vinnie and Amber's driver seemed to have some sort of chip on his shoulder. I'm always amazed at people in the service industry that have no enthusiasm or personality for it being engaged in that line of work. Go find something else to do.

Military men fearful of the waterfall recreation area and getting beat by Letecia was not a good look.

Girlfriends go home without me ever once learning their names for the entire season. Casting fail.

There is something about Rod's good nature enjoying life as he lives it that I find appealing. Would like to see him and Letcia land in first place.

Season can only be salvaged if Ricky and Cesar blow it in the end and either fail to make final 3 or finish 3rd at the finale.

13 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Vinnie and Amber's driver seemed to have some sort of chip on his shoulder. I'm always amazed at people in the service industry that have no enthusiasm or personality for it being engaged in that line of work. Go find something else to do.

I've had my fair share of cab drivers who were similarly disengaged. I think a lot of times there's literally nothing else they can do. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 5/8/2024 at 6:45 PM, iMonrey said:

It's very common for the US government to send people far ahead to do advance work like scouting locations and handling security.

Right. The secret service is there a lot longer than the protectee. They have to set up the security apparatus and plan every move weeks in advance.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but I'm in the camp that believes Ricky and Ceasar has had an advantage since 90% of the season was in Spanish speaking countries. Rod/Tecia gave them a run in the 1st 3-4 legs and the pilots in the last 3-4 legs. Speaking the language helps with time, R/C can get the directions and dip out and can read the street sighs easier. But if you don't know the language you stay juuust a bit longer to make sure you get the directions right, and you don't drive as fast so you get the street signs right. Those little 5,10,15 minutes adds up by time your in the 4th episode. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
23 minutes ago, Brown44 said:

I'm sorry but I'm in the camp that believes Ricky and Ceasar has had an advantage since 90% of the season was in Spanish speaking countries.

I will concede that they have had a bit of an advantage in this regard. But I don't blame them for this. They have raced better than any other team (arguably because of said advantage).

What does tick me off is that Team BAF, with their matching romper suits and their Bobsey Twins hair and beards was the most capable team that TPTB could find to include in the race. Were these low-capability teams the best that could be found? Such that Team BAF was the standout, powerhouse team?

I was told before this race started that the season nearly didn't air at all because it was so crap. Several posters corrected me on this. Now, I am seriously thinking that maybe the initial info was right all along!

Don't get me wrong. The crappiest of seasons would have been preferable to a hiatus, because often you never return from a hiatus. But I think that had we not already seen the season that follows this one - and how great it was - we might never have got another season after this steaming pile!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Brown44 said:

I'm sorry but I'm in the camp that believes Ricky and Ceasar has had an advantage since 90% of the season was in Spanish speaking countries. 

Several teams have or had one Spanish speaking member - Yvonne, Juan, Vinny (sort of.) Hell, even the first team eliminated had one Spanish-speaking member. Maybe Cesar is more fluent than some of the others but that's not the reason they're doing so well. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Netfoot said:

What does tick me off is that Team BAF, with their matching romper suits and their Bobsey Twins hair and beards was the most capable team that TPTB could find to include in the race

You always gonna get that group that's there to get eliminated. But the final 4 was the best in the race this season, 90% of 1st and 2nd place came from R/C, T/L and pilots (I'd add mom/son). But how many 1st places would R/C have gotten in different countries in Europe or Africa?

1 minute ago, anniebird said:

Several teams have or had one Spanish speaking member - Yvonne, Juan, Vinny (sort of.) Hell, even the first team eliminated had one Spanish-speaking member. Maybe Cesar is more fluent than some of the others but that's not the reason they're doing so well. 

There's speaking it and knowing it. Getting an A in high-school for Spanish/French is different then growing up with the language spoken in the household. Jaun knows it but he probably grew up in a house hold where the parents telling them to speak English, while it may have been the opposite for Ceasar.

• Applause 1
1 minute ago, Brown44 said:

There's speaking it and knowing it. Getting an A in high-school for Spanish/French is different then growing up with the language spoken in the household. Jaun knows it but he probably grew up in a house hold where the parents telling them to speak English, while it may have been the opposite for Ceasar.

Speaking the language of the country you're in doesn't help at all if you suck at challenges or working together as a team.  

• Like 14
3 minutes ago, anniebird said:

Speaking the language of the country you're in doesn't help at all if you suck at challenges or working together as a team.  

Some challenges had Spanish speaking influence the one I remember the the most was the singing challenge, R/C did it over not bc of the singing but bc they had to put some pizazz on the performance, the meat challenge was another one.

2 hours ago, Netfoot said:

What does tick me off is that Team BAF, with their matching romper suits and their Bobsey Twins hair and beards was the most capable team that TPTB could find to include in the race. Were these low-capability teams the best that could be found? Such that Team BAF was the standout, powerhouse team?

I don't know why you consider them "low-capability". 

Coming into the race, we had 1 team of military guys, 1 team of firefighters, not to mention several teams that were younger and more physically fit than Ricky & Cesar, and one with a professional athlete.  Most people would have looked at any one of those teams - especially the pilots - and said, yeah, they're going to be the team to beat.  But Ricky & Cesar have bested them all, at least so far.  Do you consider the pilots or firefighters "low capability" (at least from a casting perspective)? 

I get it.  You don't like them.  But clearly they're good, very capable racers. 

• Like 13
  • Applause 2
11 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Do you consider the pilots or firefighters "low capability" (at least from a casting perspective)? 

I consider the entire field of 13 teams to be "low capability". 

• Applause 1
(edited)

Challenge wise the top 6 was pretty good. But this may have been one of the worst Amazing Race groups when it came to navigation.

The lesbian and fire fighters team would finish a task pretty fast, there problem is they would always get lost. So finishing a task fast gets the time negated by getting lost.

Edited by Brown44
  • Like 1
On 5/10/2024 at 1:37 AM, endure said:

I too really admire their focus and how well they work together, they are super competitors without being obvious or expected, quite amazing.  I hope they win too.

On 5/10/2024 at 11:37 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

I think it's because they have nobody to challenge them. They are really fun on paper, but seeing somebody win all the time, with ease, is just not that interesting.

I still really like them, but I hope they come back another time and have to compete against competent teams.

But I can't tell WHY they finish so fast compared to the other teams. Why were they faster on the cacao (other than getting there first)? Why is everything so easy for them? I realize some say it's communication, but that of course doesn't explain when only one is doing a task. I would admire them as a "super" team if I only could see why they are so superior.

As it is, I also find them boring. No personality, especially compared to the other teams. Rod and Leticia joke around, the military guys talk about their families and their friendship, and, well, I won't get into Vinny and Amber, but at least there is something to talk about there. 

23 hours ago, Brown44 said:

Challenge wise the top 6 was pretty good. But this may have been one of the worst Amazing Race groups when it came to navigation.

The lesbian and fire fighters team would finish a task pretty fast, there problem is they would always get lost. So finishing a task fast gets the time negated by getting lost.

It's all part of the race, there are lots of components and obviously the ones who navigate well and are good competitors at the tasks do well but you also have to have excellent communication skills with your partner, reading clues, even for booking flights etc, sometimes good luck or bad luck plays a role too it's a real pressure cooker I'm sure.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

What does BAF stand for?

Boyfriends Are Fabulous!  😁

Or, if you're Netfoot, boring as fuck.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2