Type keyword(s) to search

S36.E03: It’s Not Over Til Phil Sings

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Also hard to watch Sean not want to walk down a hill and practically quit the game over it.  Really?

It was steep and narrow with no railings, but still, man up.

1 hour ago, chaifan said:

I really want to know why they won't release teams in the time slots in which they arrived at the mat, and why they create these bunches at designated time intervals.

This season was filmed while still under covid restrictions in a lot of places.  I imagine they released teams in bunches for logistical reasons which wouldn't have existed without the pandemic.

1 minute ago, Haleth said:

I believe a bald snark involves switching and then returning to the original task?  So the twins’ going from the first to second to first to second would be the elusive double bald snark?

Seems right to me.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Funny that the Cousins don't eat meat, yet they managed to cook the meal perfectly save for the plantains. When was the last time teams had to eat at a Roadblock?

Maybe the time the teams had to eat cheese with maggots?   Blech even if it was a local "delicacy."  That was the year Penn and Kim Holderness won. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I don’t know why they are sticking out to me, but I am just not getting a feel for Amber and Vinny.  Are they supposed to be dating?

Yes. It seems like there are a lot of couples this season. Rod & Leticia, Derek & Shelisa, and Michelle & Sean are the married couples; Ricky & Cesar, Yyonne & Melissa and Amber and Vinny are dating couples. 

Rod & Leticia are starting to bug me. Her false eyelashes are about an inch thick, I don't know how she sees through them. When she was complaining about the stairs she said it was her age showing, but she's only 38. In fact a lot of people seemed so winded by that climb. I'm older than any of them, I walk a lot and work out, and I wouldn't have had any problem with them at all. 

They're doing this Expedia One Key Cash thing again. (Well technically I guess for the first time). I still don't get what the hell it is. 

Ricky and Cesar are proving to be surprisingly proficient racers. Being able to speak the language helps a lot. Also, Cesar is a food stylist according to his bio - not a chef. I know from my own experience with food stylists they don't actually cook foods, they dress them up for photo shoots. But maybe he's also a good cook. 

There wasn't a big placement shakeup this leg, except for Amber and Vinny jumping from 7th to 2nd. Ricky & Cesar went from 2nd to 1st, Rod and Leticia fell from 1st to 5th, but everyone else stayed pretty much the same. Derek & Shelisa 3rd again, Juan and Shane 4th again, Yvonne and Melissa from 5th to 6th, Angie & Danny from 6th to 9th, Sunny and Bizzy from 8th to 7th, Kishori and Karishma from 9th to 8th, Michelle and Sean 10th again. 

The leaders are keeping their leads and the stragglers are still stragglers.

35 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

This season was filmed while still under covid restrictions in a lot of places.  I imagine they released teams in bunches for logistical reasons which wouldn't have existed without the pandemic.

That doesn't really make any sense to me. I understand the necessity for chartered flights but once they've all arrived I see no reason teams couldn't start in the order they finished the previous leg. They're all in the same location either way.

• Like 5
(edited)

Wow. Who designed this leg? Those stairs are ridiculous to behold! I would have been plastered to the mountainside only looking at the steps. They had to go all the way up AND walk back down? Eeesh.

Bon Voyage to Team Twins. It was so painful watching them futz around before actually doing anything. They may be cool human beings, but not at all prepared or able to compete for TAR. 

Karishma has mad Chihuahua energy. Kishori has the patience of a saint to withstand the near constant yapping and running. I would have been told my cousin/sister to shut her trap! 

I feel for Sean; I have a fear of falling from great heights. If there is nothing anchored to the side for me to hold on to, I would have been crawling downstairs backwards! Michelle knew how to deal with him, because she could not leave him on those steps. I can't say that I would have been so calm with my partner plopping on the ground and refusing to move like a toddler...

I don't have too much of an issue with Rod & Leticia. I'm waiting for her to ditch the makeup and the jewelry so she can raaaace. I really don't like Rod being so far ahead of her when on foot; you need to keep your partner within eyesight when navigating a strange place!

Derek & Shelisa - typical married couple. He does tend to get snappy with her every so often. When they were cooking, I could see why Shelisa didn't allow him to be in the kitchen with her; he stayed getting in her way!

I was so concerned about the racers slipping on rain slicked tiles at the coffee farm. Then to see Juan (or Shane) nearly unalive himself getting to Phil... Imma need them to stop that or not put the pit stop map on a cliff!

I'm not built for this type of leg. I would have cried and screamed non-stop. I was totally triggered despite the beauty of Colombia. 

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
17 hours ago, Lamima said:

The twins are still in Colombia. LOL

I wouldn't be surprised if once they finally found the airport, they had to wander around the concourse for days looking for their gate then realized their flight was long gone and then couldn't find their way back through security to get reticketed. Like Tom Hanks in The Terminal, they are now destined to live in the airport indefinitely.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Picking coffee cherries is better than trying to find one red one in a giant pile.

I toured a coffee plantation in Hawaii, and Colombian coffee cherries are tiny compared to the ones they grow in Hawaii.

In Hawaii, it takes 30lbs of cherries to make one pound of coffee beans (a little less than half a kilo). I'm pretty sure these people weren't carrying around 15 pounds of cherries.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if once they finally found the airport, they had to wander around the concourse for days looking for their gate then realized their flight was long gone and then couldn't find their way back through security to get reticketed. Like Tom Hanks in The Terminal, they are now destined to live in the airport indefinitely.

To be fair, navigation was not their issue, which is how they managed to stay in the middle of the pack the first two legs. And they handled previous challenges fairly well. If they had just stuck with the cooking challenge the first time they went to it they probably would have survived. It was going back and forth that killed them, and clearly the stacking challenge was beyond their mental limitations. I never thought they'd last that long anyway but I'm kind of sorry to see them go this soon. They kind of cracked me up, they were easy-going, and I'm not really warming to any of the teams so far. After three episodes, that's not a great sign for the season.

• Like 6

I liked the twins. I racked up when in what should have been the heat of competition the one doing the pick stopped and appreciated, the pretty bird. I like when racers appreciate what they experience.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

They kind of cracked me up, they were easy-going, and I'm not really warming to any of the teams so far. After three episodes, that's not a great sign for the season.

My daughter and I found the twins very entertaining.

3 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I really don't like Rod being so far ahead of her when on foot; you need to keep your partner within eyesight when navigating a strange place!

Not just that, you are not allowed to get too far away from your partner on the race unless one is doing a Roadblock. That's why a lot of the more fit partners started up strong on the steps then had to stop and wait for their partners to get closer.

3 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

Karishma has mad Chihuahua energy. Kishori has the patience of a saint to withstand the near constant yapping and running. I would have been told my cousin/sister to shut her trap! 

This is the team we wanted gone, just be quiet already!

8 hours ago, Thalia said:

Maybe the time the teams had to eat cheese with maggots?   Blech even if it was a local "delicacy."  That was the year Penn and Kim Holderness won. 

They also had to eat something like a gyro that season (and one team had to eat two because they couldn't figure out where the clue was. But last season? the one team had to eat a plate of bugs for a Fast Foward.

Phil also came out to eliminate a team on the first leg of the race in Brazil, they were doing some kind of slide puzzle? it might have been the social media season?

• Like 2

College Spanish was several decades ago, but I believe El Peñón de Guatapé means, "Oy, my f'ing knees!"

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 12
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

That doesn't really make any sense to me. I understand the necessity for chartered flights but once they've all arrived I see no reason teams couldn't start in the order they finished the previous leg. They're all in the same location either way.

it's got to do with having people at the different task locations during covid restrictions. They didn't want the crew spread out too much.  Since this is the last season with those restrictions, I don't really get worrying about it.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

This is the team we wanted gone, just be quiet already!

I'm not sure that they understand there is a huge difference between "enthusiastic" and "obnoxious."

Add me to the list of those who want them gone.

• Like 9
27 minutes ago, tvfanatic13 said:

While they seem lovely as people, I don’t understand why people like mom/son and even the twins go on the Race to begin with. 

I understand the reason they apply: delusions of grandeur. What I don't understand is why casting thinks the viewers have any interest in seeing them.

I do viewer reviews for CBS and CW, and I try to tell them repeatedly to pay more attention to who they chose as contestants. I don't seem to be getting anywhere.

• Like 4
On 3/27/2024 at 6:51 PM, Browncoat said:

Bad taxi karma even with water taxis!  That sucks for mom and son.

They must not have been allowed to switch even though there were other water taxis that teams arriving at the dock after them were allowed to take.

That could have really hurt them but fortunately the cousin dudes went back and forth between the detours and burned a lot of precious time.

Yeah 60 floors is crazy.  I just stayed at a skyscraper, the 54th floor.  Nobody was taking stairs, everyone was queueing up for the elevators.

Even the young racers were bent over by the time they reached the top.

That dish was weird, it was like a plate of everything including the fried plantains as desert?  Probably tasted good but they were different tastes piled together.

The abuelas were enthusiastic when they went thumbs up.

Coffee beans task was cool.  The male nurse probably did it the fastest.  I thought they had to roast the beans as well but no, just husk them through the grinder.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

While they seem lovely as people, I don’t understand why people like mom/son and even the twins go on the Race to begin with. 

1 hour ago, eel2178 said:

I understand the reason they apply: delusions of grandeur. What I don't understand is why casting thinks the viewers have any interest in seeing them.

I do viewer reviews for CBS and CW, and I try to tell them repeatedly to pay more attention to who they chose as contestants. I don't seem to be getting anywhere.

Delusions of grandeur is a little harsh.  I think a lot of folks who apply are just fans who want to participate in a season.  They want to interact with Phil and get  to travel around the world doing Amazing Race stuff for free -- and get some money for it (not necessarily winning it). 

I think each season there are always some slots reserved for "super fans".  It keeps the fan base active with the hope of being a participant.  This season there does seem to be more of these teams.   Of course when asked, the racers will always say "I want to win" even though they aren't a competitive team.

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
(edited)

This was a much better episode than last week in terms of tasks (e.g. collecting balloons - what even was that?). I love challenges involving food - as long as it's not the gross-out-binge-til-you-vomit ones of earlier TAR days gone by.

However, after 36 seasons, I feel this batch of contestants make up the least competitive mix in the history of TAR - and it's not even close. The twins in particular seem to be overwhelmed by the mere suggestion that they have to actually do stuff on either of the detours. I’m mad at the double dutch team for almost making me think we would have to endure the not-knowing-who-Elizabeth-Taylor-is himbos for another week.

Yvonne and Melissa completely disappeared this episode. What was their shtick again? Oh right, girlfriends.

Cesar and hubby are adorable and are carrying most of the show on their shoulders. Cesar in particular is the star of this season.

I also like the firefighters and grandparents.

Shane is sexy and the pink girls are annoying.

Vinnie is carrying his team. 

Next week's ep preview seems to indicate more of the same underwhelming-ness in terms of competency.

Edited by Roccos Brother
  • Like 4

Not going to miss Bill and Ted, peeved that they took a spot away from people who would have really tried and wanted to be there instead of enjoying a laid back and mellow trip at the networks expense. Though I did respect the bird appreciation. 

So much screaming again.

I'd be challenged on a steep path without something to hang on to, and all those stairs, hard pass.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, aghst said:

That dish was weird, it was like a plate of everything including the fried plantains as desert?  Probably tasted good but they were different tastes piled together.

There's a sizable Latin community where I live and those "little bit of everything" platters intended for one are pretty common menu options whenever I go to a Colombian restaurant. Definitely a good amount of food for the price.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
18 hours ago, Haleth said:

Also hard to watch Mom take her sweet time picking beans while Danny knows the last two teams are catching up.

I found that maddening. Why would she want to tire herself going up and down so many times?

I also got tired of people yelling for their partners to hurry up. One of the guys who came in first did it to his partner who was carrying both packs, it looked like to me. And one of the cousins did it to the cousin who'd been doing the work picking coffee beans. Shut up, slackers!

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, aghst said:

They must not have been allowed to switch even though there were other water taxis that teams arriving at the dock after them were allowed to take

They weren't.  Phil said they had to stick with the same one.

8 hours ago, eel2178 said:

I understand the reason they apply: delusions of grandeur.

Way harsh, Tai.  When I was younger, I totally would have applied if I'd had someone to race with.  And not for the fame or for the potential fortune -- it's an opportunity to race around the world!  To go places you might never even consider going, especially on your own!  Places tour groups might not go!  And since this show isn't a popularity contest, like most other reality competition shows, everyone (in theory) has a chance.  Even the best racers can be hit with a flight delay, or make the bad decision to book flights where they have to switch from Orly to Charles DeGaulle, or be blocked by a passing train.  And even "bad" racers can manage to get to the top three.  Despite things like 597,000 steep steps to the top of a mountain, this game looks like enormous fun.

• Like 11
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Roccos Brother said:

There's a sizable Latin community where I live and those "little bit of everything" platters intended for one are pretty common menu options whenever I go to a Colombian restaurant. Definitely a good amount of food for the price.

Sure, but it’s not really a dish, it’s a sampler platter, right?  When you cook a dish, flavors get mixed and new ones get developed, but here everything was cooked separately. That was actually the problem that made the twins switch back - they had no idea when to cook what so that everything would be ready at the same time.  Funny how it was edited as though they said they did not know what any of those things were.  I was thinking, well, you can ask someone, they will explain (“Well, kids, those little white things are rice…”).  But no, the challenge for them was the timing.

Speaking of kids and basics, Danny has never cooked anything before, has he?  That egg he was scraping off the frying pan looked exactly like my very first attempt, at the age of 8 or 9, at cooking something on my own.  Then my younger sister produced the same dish a couple years later. It’s really not intuitive to know that you need to use butter there 😛.

Colombians are really fun people.  I still remember the exploding cornhole game that is their national sport (at least that’s what TAR claimed when they featured it).  And now we have the Willys parade.  At first I couldn’t understand, in what circumstances would you need to load your truck like that?  Moving to a new city and need to load your chest of drawers, Jesus picture and the dish rack (with the dishes you’ve just finished washing, apparently)?  And then you hang a few pineapples on your furniture because you need to move those too and this seems like a reasonable way to transport them?  But then I got it - it’s modern art, that’s what this is.  I loved it.

• Like 1
(edited)

I am officially old - all those folks picking coffee in Colombia and no one made a Juan Valdez reference?

On 3/27/2024 at 10:59 PM, Browncoat said:

I really hate Bizzy's sunglasses.

YES. Love Sunny and Bizzy, but those glasses.

Also, if that football player calls his wife baby one more time...

I can see why they went with last season's eps first - the difference is night and day. By this time last season, I knew who racers were, and was really impressed with the competence. This edition, I am constantly surprised by teams that end up on the mat because I completely forgot they existed.

I cannot even imagine climbing all those stairs, so props to everyone but I would have been sitting down on the boat and massaging my feet before the next task, not screeching "rapido" at the boat drivers.

Also, all this colorful city and they made a plate of food and went up into the mountains to pick coffee and climb stairs? I don't know, I'm doubting these Expedia curated experiences. I know when Phil was reeling off what Cesar and Ricky would be doing in Capetown, the only thing I liked was meeting the penguins.

Bye, Twins. My mom was asking if you were really like that or if it was just an act. I think you answered that one last night.

Edited by ML89
additions!
  • Like 5
3 hours ago, shura said:

Sure, but it’s not really a dish, it’s a sampler platter, right?  When you cook a dish, flavors get mixed and new ones get developed, but here everything was cooked separately.

I mean, whether it's a dish vs a sampler platter seems like a pretty arbitrary distinction to me. And the reason why I say that is because I've seen it referred to as both with those terms used interchangeably.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandeja_paisa

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, eel2178 said:

I actually think this is a fair assessment and not harsh at all. Anyone who has seen even a single ep of TAR - let alone a superfan, has to realize this competition is no walk in the park. It takes a certain amount of hubris to think you would be able to keep up when your abilities clearly tell a different story. I'm in much better shape than some of these contestants and I know I wouldn't last a day. 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, grawlix said:

Delusions of grandeur is a little harsh.  I think a lot of folks who apply are just fans who want to participate in a season.  They want to interact with Phil and get  to travel around the world doing Amazing Race stuff for free -- and get some money for it (not necessarily winning it). 

I think each season there are always some slots reserved for "super fans".  It keeps the fan base active with the hope of being a participant.  This season there does seem to be more of these teams.   Of course when asked, the racers will always say "I want to win" even though they aren't a competitive team.

They were cast during Covid.  I'm sure the pool of people who were willing to risk their lives to get out of their protective bubbles and go on the race was a little bit smaller than normal.

• Like 4
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 3
5 hours ago, shura said:

At first I couldn’t understand, in what circumstances would you need to load your truck like that?  Moving to a new city and need to load your chest of drawers, Jesus picture and the dish rack (with the dishes you’ve just finished washing, apparently)?  And then you hang a few pineapples on your furniture because you need to move those too and this seems like a reasonable way to transport them?  But then I got it - it’s modern art, that’s what this is.  I loved it.

I just assumed it was traveling junk dealers like the US had during The Great Depression.

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, shura said:

here everything was cooked separately. That was actually the problem that made the twins switch back - they had no idea when to cook what so that everything would be ready at the same time. 

However, having it all done at the same time wasn't part of the challenge. True, if you could figure out how to get 4 burners going simultaneously and having everything ready to plate at once, it took less time to complete, but that wasn't what they were being judged on. As long as you didn't cut the avocadoes first so they weren't turning brown (and I haven't stopped giggling about the guy who thought cutting an avocado in quarters meant horizontal slicing) by the time you got everything else together, I don't think anyone would have been turned back for having something on the plate that wasn't serving temperature.

Had they cooked each item one at a time and done it properly the first time, they may still have been able to keep themselves within the time range to get caught up with a least one team at the detour.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, Dirge said:

I also got tired of people yelling for their partners to hurry up.

It's still better than standing on the sidelines yelling "You got this!" over and over again.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, aghst said:

That dish was weird, it was like a plate of everything including the fried plantains as desert? 

Three kinds of meat plus eggs really surprised me. That's a lot of protein.

That must be intended for someone who is going to go do manual labor all day and not get his next meal for another 12 or 14 hours. I can't see that considered to be a "normal" meal otherwise.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Roccos Brother said:

Anyone who has seen even a single ep of TAR - let alone a superfan, has to realize this competition is no walk in the park. It takes a certain amount of hubris to think you would be able to keep up when your abilities clearly tell a different story.

It seems there is a lot thinking, "If The Fabulous Beekman Boys and their roller bags can win this, then so can my grandmother and I."

• Like 6
  • LOL 5
2 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

It seems there is a lot thinking, "If The Fabulous Beekman Boys and their roller bags can win this, then so can my grandmother and I."

I just finished watching Season 9 that had Fran and Barry, they were the ones that in an early leg walked past the clue box on a bridge multiple times! They practically bumped into a couple times, but with a lot of luck and some skill they lasted until they just missed being a part of the final four (they even came in 1st once). So I can see some hoping against hope to at least get far enough to experience some countries and cultures they wouldn't be able to see any other way.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, eel2178 said:

However, having it all done at the same time wasn't part of the challenge. True, if you could figure out how to get 4 burners going simultaneously and having everything ready to plate at once, it took less time to complete, but that wasn't what they were being judged on. As long as you didn't cut the avocadoes first so they weren't turning brown (and I haven't stopped giggling about the guy who thought cutting an avocado in quarters meant horizontal slicing) by the time you got everything else together, I don't think anyone would have been turned back for having something on the plate that wasn't serving temperature.

The way they describe the tasks to us viewers this season, who knows if it was part of the challenge or not.  It wasn’t just about the look, the abuelas did taste the final dish.  That’s how the cousins got turned back for having undercooked plantains.  And I saw an interview with the twins this morning where they said that the cooking instructions were in Spanish and they couldn’t understand anything, so they might have just thought it all had to come out at the same time.  Weird though, instructions in Spanish with, potentially, no chance for non-Spanish-speakers to complete the challenge?

3 hours ago, Roccos Brother said:

I mean, whether it's a dish vs a sampler platter seems like a pretty arbitrary distinction to me. And the reason why I say that is because I've seen it referred to as both with those terms used interchangeably.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandeja_paisa

Sure, it’s arbitrary, and not a big deal at all.  Anything we can eat is a dish, I suppose.  It raises a bunch of weirdly philosophical questions though.  If you have two different dishes and put them onto the same plate, do you still have two different dishes or is it now a different, third dish?  What if you put them on the plate in a different ratio, is it a fourth dish?  And making this Colombia’s national dish is kind of like saying “our national dish is going to be a bunch of different dishes served together”.  I think I have that every time I’m in a buffet.

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, shura said:

The way they describe the tasks to us viewers this season, who knows if it was part of the challenge or not.  It wasn’t just about the look, the abuelas did taste the final dish.  

I wish they'd be more clear about these things for the viewers. When we're watching intently to see who's doing it right or wrong, and what gets them a thumbs down from the judge, we have to know what the rules are. Even flashing the full requirements on the screen for a few seconds would help. I don't mind pausing to read it.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
On 3/28/2024 at 10:34 AM, proserpina65 said:

Idk, but they do.  Most of them power through but there was that one girl during the Globetrotters first season (AR15) who wouldn't go down the really high water slide because she was afraid of heights, I believe.

That was Mika, and she was afraid of heights and water.

• Like 2

How do you have a" rich Columbian coffee" task just before the pitstop and NOT have Juan Valdez and his donkey as the greeters?!

Random thoughts: When I saw that mountain I immediately pegged it as a tombstone for the Walla Walla Mom but she did better than expected. And I like she was smart enough to know you don't help a team that can beat you in a footrace...the son was being dumb saying "it will be all right" then at the end of the episode he was all angsty.

Twins didn't seem to have one functioning brain between the two of them.

Love the cousins but they are giving me a serious Myrna and Charla vibe. Nothing about them screams competency but they are the most entertaining team.

Grandma (in name only...that's one fine looking Grandma) reminded me so much of my Aunt Alice the way she was henpecking the grandfather but I assume he's use to it.

Firewomen and girl fiends to me anyway are completely INTERCHANGEABLE. Team Top Gun barely registers and Cesar is okay but I do not like Ricky one bit.

Sean was an embarrassment on that hillside. If it was some kind of sheer drop okay but man up!

Maybe I'm alone in this but I hope this is the last season without NON ELMINATION legs. I don't say this because I wanted the twins saved but I do say it because it gives a fan hope their favorite team has a chance to stay. This zero sum thing I do not like.

• Like 2
(edited)

I really like all the teams, there’s no “come on dad” this season yet, thank goodness.  I’d have had a hard time with the mom too, what made her so slow?  
The twins, they crack me up.  

I can’t believe everyone climbed all those stairs then went on to do everything else.  I would have been dead. 

ETA I can’t do heights, and I totally felt for Sean.  It’s not just a hill, it’s a drop off.  I couldn’t have done that either. 

Edited by Meowwww
  • Like 8
On 3/28/2024 at 9:32 PM, tvfanatic13 said:

The mother and son are huge fans.  They got to live their dream of dreams.  Everybody should.  It shouldn't just be reserved for the 20-something alphas.  The rest of us dream too!

And I loved the Twins.  I shall miss them.  They gave me many laughs through these first 3 episodes.

• Like 8
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, meep.meep said:

They were cast during Covid.  I'm sure the pool of people who were willing to risk their lives to get out of their protective bubbles and go on the race was a little bit smaller than normal.

Oh I don't know about that. I'm sure there were still plenty of applicants willing to risk it for the million bucks. I think it has more to do with the types of teams the show wants. They want parent/child teams. Those, perhaps, might have been slimmer in the pickins'. On the other hand the casting people might have just thought they would make Good TV. And I don't necessarily think people like Angie and Chris have "delusions of grandeur" going on a show like this. I do, however, think they have unrealistic perceptions about their own physical abilities. We hear this all the time on Survivor too: contestants saying "It looks so much easier when you're watching it on TV!" 

20 hours ago, shura said:

And I saw an interview with the twins this morning where they said that the cooking instructions were in Spanish and they couldn’t understand anything, so they might have just thought it all had to come out at the same time.

Oof. I have a hard time believing the entire instructions were in Spanish. I think maybe some of the words were in Spanish and that's all they focused on the first time they looked at it. I think we would have heard at least one team complain about the instructions if they turned out to be entirely in Spanish. How did the twins eventually manage it? 

18 hours ago, Tango64 said:

the abuelas did taste the final dish.

I didn't see any of them tasting the food. They seemed to be judging on whether or not it was plated correctly and whether or not things looked thoroughly cooked.

12 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Firewomen and girl fiends to me anyway are completely INTERCHANGEABLE.

Well, Sunny and Bizzy are blonde while Yvonne and Melissa are brunettes. However, if you mean Sunny and Bizzy are interchangeable with each other, and the same for Yvonne and Melissa, then I agree, I still don't know which is which. But that's pretty much always the case with same-sex teams. I still don't know which is which with Karishma and Kishori either, and I would never have known who was who between Anthony and Bailey.

• Like 7
51 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

if you mean Sunny and Bizzy are interchangeable with each other,

Bizzy is the one with the ugly sunglasses that look like ski goggles.

• LOL 2

I was rooting for and amused by our Clearwater locals, Anthony and Bailey. And I was quite surprised to see that they both graduated from Texas State (or any college for that matter). I believe that many “reality” TV shows, competitive or not encourage the participants to assume/play up a particular role.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Twiz44 said:

I was rooting for and amused by our Clearwater locals, Anthony and Bailey.

They're from Florida? Oh, that explains so much. 🙃

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I still don't know which is which with Karishma and Kishori either

Kishori is shorter than Karishma.  By, like, a lot.  When they stand together reading clues, the difference is noticeable.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 3/28/2024 at 11:01 PM, aghst said:

They must not have been allowed to switch even though there were other water taxis that teams arriving at the dock after them were allowed to take.

That was specifically said on the clue that they were not allowed to switch water taxis. I thought it was odd until Team Walla Walla had their issue. They probably only had enough of them for the teams on the leg.

The abuelas didn't taste any of the food presented to them. Presentation and the food cooked properly was the only considerations for the task. Not to mention it was raining on some of the teams and they didn't even bother to cover the food.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
21 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Love the cousins but they are giving me a serious Myrna and Charla vibe.

I was thinking this too, minus the love. For both teams, I had the feeling of wanting to like them, but being unable to. For Charla and Myrna, it was more a sense that I wouldn't get on with them if I ever actually met them. For Karishma and Kishori, I dislike how they seem to rely on other teams for help. The way they went up to Derek and Shelisa for help on the cooking task gave me flashbacks to James in Season 32 (the one with the much-hated Mine 5 alliance). I have a low tolerance for people who want help with something when they've barely taken any steps to figure it out on their own.

Amber and Vinny were uncomfortable to watch. All the weaponized therapy speech: "I need you to X." "Well I need you to Y." Contrast that to Derek and Shelisa's snapping at each other, which doesn't have the same effect on me because 1) I find some of it genuinely funny and 2) it's pretty clear through it all that they do genuinely like each other.

• Like 10